durell

SailTimer wind instrument

Has anyone who paid for a preorder to SailTimer actually received a shipment this year? I placed an order in October 2016 and have as yet to receive my wind instrument. Each email I send is replied back with a blurb someone copy and pastes into a response. The newsletters since January started with shipping soon to in June now shipping and July will be caught up on preorders. Sadly nothing for my money.

Reminds me of my order for an Earl tablet.  I was going to put StartLine on it as they said it would be daylight visible.  I paid $300 in 2013 and asked for and got a refund in 2014.  People are still trying to get refunds.  I was lucky to get out when I did.  It was just a month away for months so I decided to bail early.  I am not saying this is a similar but I would be careful, as you are by asking the question you did.

I've received my sailtimer after over a year of waiting. Not working quite like I hoped for. 

No refunds given either before or after shipment. 

Are you running apple or android? I had purchased one about 16 months ago and in October went up to the boat and it was gone from my masthead. Should have used a thread lock to insure it wouldn't back off the post. I use me ipad and found that it took me about 3 months of sailing to understand what it can do. Just hope I get one sent to me soon.

sailtimer in it!s concept is great...but the manufacturer is crap! I had to wait a year for mine,it was suppose to work with my ipad2(it did not),it stop working after 2 days ouside(marine equipment?!) Bluetooth stop, they say that is my fault without further inspection of my device.all they offered me is a unit at cost to replace it( is that their warrenty?) I have to say I paid to much for that brick. they have no official address or phone number, they don t even respect canadian regulations as for the minimum life expectancy of an electronic device. I hope this comment will save others from doing the same mistake.

Jean

I finally received my sailtimer, after waiting a year. It isn't on top of the mast yet as the weather here in the PNW isn't the best to hoist my grandson up the mast. I did work well when I tested on shore.

I bought a sailtimer 2 years ago.  I mounted it on my mast and left it there.  It worked pretty good for the first year and did not work the next season.  I contacted the manufacturer and they said to check if the battery ran down.  I have not been up the mast to check, but I have no connectivity with my IPAD.  The initial instructions indicated you could leave it mounted on your mast year round.  My boat is in Norfolk, VA.   The good news is that there are a lot more apps out that use sailtimer, including a good variety for android and IOS.  In summary, I am not pleased with my sailtimer purchase and do not recommend it.  It seems others had problems with the battery discharging over the winter when left on their mast.

Receiving the sailtimer windvane after payment also took months, I assumed development was still ongoing.

I used it from the masthead 12 meter height from deck. Receiving Bluetooth was not stable with iPad below deck.

The power of the solar charged battery ran dry after 4 weeks on the 12 meter mast head, I had to take it down to reload in the sun. It worked then, unless further than 5 meter plus deck between the vane and receiver. Some issues though with the wheel turning mechanism. I fixed these myself, improvisation.

To feed data into Raymarine sea talk ng I purchased the mini server, plus an active server nematode sea talk converter. The first mini server did not work, had to be replaced. I did much testing, finally got the wind vane linked to the mini server in the garage in a test setup; but the data transmission stopped after the first data set. So no usable set up so far. The  installation via browser and user register was quite cumbersome, subjectively speaking. 

I did go sailing though (approx 6000 NM) with eye sight wind measurement in these 2 years :-)

Bottom line: good idea, pricing okay. Practical usability: null for me as a layman without the developer available on site to fix issues.

Anyone interested to get the wind vane plus mini server plus antisense nmea to sea talk ng converter: please contact me. 

Like most others, my SailTimer instrument took MONTHS to get to me.   Once I FINALLY received it, I noticed the battery indicator was never able to get to the full position even after leaving it pointing toward the sun for over a month. They said this was normal,but I'm dubious. I was using my iPad for the initial interface and was planning on installing their $325 Mini-Server to connect to my chart plotter, but they had to design a new server that was specific to my "older" generation instrument (only had it 2 months).   I finally installed it on my mast.  It does not function properly.  The wind cups on the anemometer weren't even spinning at all times despite traveling over 8 kts. Never did get wind direction.  Oh, by the way, apparently, the battery/solar panel is not designed to charge vertically (i.e. installed on the mast head). It has to be uninstalled regularly to charge...or lean your boat on its side (your choice).  If the battery ever loses its charge completely, they will void any sort of warranty.  Also, the workmanship resembles an 8th grade science fair project.

I just received the Mini-Server last week, but why hook it up if the instrument is shit.  I told them I want to return it, but they refused to authorize the return despite just receiving it last week and never installing it.

So...now I'm out $500+ 

Do not buy this crap!  You will get VERY frustrated and want to shove large heavy pieces of hardware up some flippant Aussie's ass!

It is sad that the originally good ideas from the sailtimer person (I think he is in Canada) are suffering so badly. If anyone has intel about a system that transmits wind angles against the compass (rather than against the mid ship direction of the boat), that would solve the rotating mast (wing mast) measurement problem, which to my knowledge (gathered with long search diligence) up to now is only solved for the larger audience by Raymarine / Tacktick; with the wind sensor with display (e.g. i60, wired due to carbon dilution of wifi signal), a mast rotation sensor (wifi), wifi receiver to get data from mast rotation into network, remote operating interface / display; very costly, approx 1500 usd. 

And if there is anyone out there with tech in their dna, they might be willing to play with the sailtimer appliances, I am ready to ship the wind vane plus mini server to them for research work.

I have the same sad experience ....ordered both the Wind Instrument and the Airlink for my Corsair/Farrier 31 Rotating Mast way back in November 2017.  They arrive in late Feb and the Airlink never worked.  I had prompt email replies to my problem over a full time effort on my part to get the bloody thing working.   Support was rude, condescending, belittling and arrogant to me.   They refused interactive or even one-way observation of the process steps I was taking.   Kept insisting it was a simple process.  After the first week of frustration and humiliation I requested that i take up their "no questions, satisfaction guaranteed refund" they refused by pointing out that the 14 days began from the date of order ..NOT THE DATE OF DELIVERY!!!   After my relentless persistence in requesting support and completing their repetitive test processes they relented and gave me money back for the Airlink only conceding it was faulty under warranty.  No such luck with the Wind Instrument which sits here somewhat functional but not usable ....will not operate with the   $30 Iregatta ,  functions intermittently with their own Sailtimer app ...WITHIN THE SAME ROOM...  I am not so stupid (now) to waste my time mounting on a 13 meter mast that they said would be fine.   I am pretty sure by the nameless person I conversed with would be the original DOCTOR PHD Craig Summers going by his attitude, manners and lack of real world customer product and services.   If this shambles was operating in Australia they would be out of business within weeks.  We have Consumer rights here.  And WTF do they not have a battery charge system ...seems the vast majority of customers can't even get the battery solar charged.. Heard of electric toothbrushes professor? INDUCTION will do it if you're paranoid about water leaks.   I have ordered Airmar to place in my bow rail for forward/sideward wind accuracy.

I must agree with everyone in that this is an instrument that if worked as advertised would be great, but keeps having issues. Now my wind cups are dragging on the base and not spinning. I will need to go up the mast to adjust the jewel bearing or adjust the metal arms that are around the base of the wind cups.

I also agree that the customer service is terrible and condescending. 

Too bad, so sad.

We have the original windvane (tube and vane on masthead) and it isnt quite as accurate as it used to be. The hall sensor has a few degrees of inaccuracy but otherwise its still sending and receiving fine. Batteries seem fine but we only use it for racing.

Got it all hooked up to a raspberry pi now, big numbers on the ipad. All groovy.

Dont like the look of that new version though.

If there is anybody out there willing to dig into this (like possibly senditboys or other successful users), I have the wind vane (only tested, never used) and the mini server (tested with the wind vane; some signals received and visible via the web-interface for a millisecond only; I could not get it set up properly) sitting in a box, ready to be shipped to anyone interested, only shipping cost charged from me. I will not go on messing around with it. The sailtimer developer would not listen to any advice over the long period where I tested, asked for solutions, even shared experience. He does not want the items back himself.

Bottom line: It is just an ongoing development, with crowd funding that is dubbed as 'sold to customer, then find out it is impossible to use'. Openly using Crowd Funding would have been more honest.

For the many who have had issues with Sailtimer, they recently joined the Better Business Bureau, link below. I encourage you to post a review or, even better, a complaint. If you make it a complaint, BBB says "Your complaint will be forwarded to the business within two business days. The business will be asked to respond and if a response is not received, a second request will be made."

https://www.bbb.org/atlantic-provinces/business-reviews/wind-energy-systems/sailtimer-inc-in-glen-haven-ns-41983

As for my experience with them, it took 10 months to receive the unit and it was defective. The batteries went flat which caused the software to crash which they blamed me for. I sent it back for repair under warranty and when I got it back the batteries again lost power and now they say they will repair it at my expense. When I said it seemed to me that the unit was defective from the start, they vehemently denied that this was possible. 

I put a feedback into the page you provided, Harlen. Thanks for that.

I think the developer needs support to get the products and solutions professionalized. 

I have recently purchased a sailtimer wind instrument and air link. So far I have discovered that there is sporadic email based support. My suggestion is that you use the device out of the box connected to your mobile device and it works great. I have a Catalina 38 the sailtimer is at the top of the mast 54' no reception problems. Works as advertised. I do have some concerns with the battery in particular for long overnight trips. On a recent overnight the wind instrument battery registered as empty. Although it was still functioning. The battery has never fully charged. This may be due to the always on status.

Air Link is a different matter. My goal was to use the air link product to connect the Wind Instrument to my Vulcan 7 chart Plotter ( which by the way is outstanding.) To accomplish this I purchased the recommended Simrad NMEA converter and connected the device to my NMEA 2000 network. Initially it came up and worked and it was a beautiful thing. Then it quit and has not reconnected. The Simrad A10 is there and working but not getting any data. I have sent email to SailTimer and may eventually get a response. Not happy with support. I also discovered that the once connected to the AirLink I am not able to use the sailtimer chart due to some incompatibility. So get this, the manufacturers components are not compatible with each other. But they do tell me that this configuration is compatible with other software based chart plotters. i will update this review as I progress hopefully Technical support will respond. Additional I am an IT guy network engineer for the last 30 years so I get all of this protocol stuff and still cannot get it to work.

Has anybody managed to get a unit working? I've been suckered into 2 now and neither will turn on.  My second unit did work when it arrived and I was able to connect to it once.  I put it out to charge before installing on the mast. I know I had more than the required hours of charging after receiving it.  I was prepping to install and it would not turn on.  Somehow I must have let it discharge was the "customer service" response.  The first Unit was received in November (after 11 months) and was left in the box - not sure if it worked at that point, but definitely didn't work in April.  I've been trying religiously for months to get the thing to charge and turn on. Absolutely screwed at this point.  If anyone has any tricks - apparently these things only charge with sunlight and it has to be direct - I'm constantly being told that unit 2 must have discharged and isn't getting enough sunlight to charge.  Apparently the battery chemistry must have gotten messed up on Unit 1 - I'm ready to sacrifice unit 1 and have a friend test it starting with the battery. Watch for the video.

• Like 1