Sign in to follow this  
BboySlug

49er Updates

There's a 49er for sale near me, it's a pretty great deal. One reservation is that it's a 2004/2005 boat. I've been doing some reading and it looks like in 2009 there were heaps of updates to the 49er. Was wanting to ask the community how much of a difference the upgrades have made? 

I don't intend on going olympic, just getting involved with a new class. 

Auckland... I used to sail Hobie 16s and F18s in Texas. Moved to Auckland shortly after the Commander in Tweets was elected. 

I am still new to this class but my queries of the locals here (Perth) suggested that the new rig and sails was a significant step.  Advice was to crash/bash the old rig while getting up to speed, then charge hard with the new rig as soon as you could.

Were the updates only applicable to the mast/rigging and sail? Or, was there something changed to the hull and/or wings as well? Makay seems to hint that something changed to the wings on their website, going from "sliding" to "pinned" wings or something. 

yep - sliding to pinned from what i understand.  But i dont think you can modify the sliding wings to become pinned as it will take the config out of class.  if sliding, leave sliding to remain in class.  I understand from John C that the rig changes had more of an affect to performance than the wing changes.

Old rig is slower and much harder to sail. Righting from capsize is also much harder.

Old wings are mostly about maintenance. The wing sliders are prone to breaking and cracks may form in the wings after time. Performance-wise there is little difference as long as being both on trapeze (little load on the wings then). If standing on the old wings, they will first bend in a gust and then boat will accelerate. Boat as going about 2kts quicker immediately if you manage to hook up and reduce the load on the wings. Thus, if the boat is not powered up, the new wings are faster but as explained there will be little difference when double-trapezing.

I think (according to what i read on SA ten years ago) that there is more structure in the new boats , courtesy of a simpler wing design, to theoretically get some more life out of the new boats. 

There was an interesting piece coming out of Kiel Week on the YouTube footage, from Marcus Baur, a week ago (with Clean as guest commentator) saying basically in the early days the boats were perceived as un-sailable by anyone but Australia's (and Kiwi's) and he, as a German, had a very hard time.

Now they are being pushed very hard by just about every country, and the girls are pushing them even harder.

What was considered a great boat in 2002 - 2010, would be considered a bit of rubbish now, and it's the same for every class, even the Laser and the Opie have had to refine their building process.   I know the 470 has, the Finn and then we can start talking about the Nacra if you wish.

Biggest changes where the new moulds, we reverse-engineered the hull and CNC cuts new plugs, and then made every new mould off the same set of plugs (which are in NZ).  That lead to far more accurate framing, and that has lead to longevity!

And the rig, initially the rigs were fine, but then as people became confident they basically drove them so hard they destroyed them.   Again you're seeing the same thing with Laser top-sections now. It's inevitable.   The Carbon rig has dropped the running cost of a 49er dramatically.    Once that happen, & the FX girls needed 6:1 on the downhaul, boys said "me too" but the boys are stronger, so they started tearing the lower seams in the mainsail apart.   At the same time, boats upped about 2 knts downwind, so we over ran the spinnaker, yada, yada, yada.   VW/Audi changed the spec on their air-bags, and another German medical company agreed with VW, happens to be the same material we make spinnakers from, but they use 50 x as much, so new material, time for a new design, a new flatter spinnaker.   Happens to be about 1m² smaller.

If you're a Weekend Warrior then does not matter if it has sliding wings or pinned wings, you won't ever reach the full potential of the boat until you have sailed it into the ground!

A carbon mast, just for "bang for buck" ratio is a must!

Old foils, will probably suit you better, bit more forgiving.

Jibs have not changed for a while, Mainsail has a gusset in the front to stop over enthusiastic boys destroying the sail in one outing, but provided you go easy on the downhaul, again you won't ever reach its full potential.    Same with the spinnaker, you need to be doing 22-23knts in 16-18knts of wind to really enjoy the fruits of the new kite.   It's smaller, fair bit more twitchy, but it will take you up into the 24-26knts range and the acceleration is spectacular, and it now appears faster in anything over 6knts (TWS) but until you're at that level, the old kite will give you bags of fun.   

Just go have fun and enjoy the learning curve!

Jb

what JB said!

:D

I raced on sliding wings and they are just fine. Easier to slide in for storage (unless you have unlimited space).

Sliding wings have the tendency to brake when you hold onto them when capsizing (loading in the wrong direction). If you manage not to do that, you'll be fine.

if they do break, then it's not the actual wing that brakes but the rivets (or screws?) that attach the wing to the sliding rails get pulled out. It can be fixed by putting very long rivets through the entire thickness of the wing. it does not look pretty as you have the end of the rivets sticking out the top of the wing, but it's not an issue.

I raced in the first season of the new carbon rig - with an aluminum rig. As a weekend warrior it did not matter. The carbon rig with new cut sails might be a little faster, at the carbon rig might me a little easier to sail - but it's not a big deal if you're not competitive. :wacko:

Having said that, the 49er slinging wings, fixed wings, alu rig, carbon rig, etc... is such a great boat to sail. Everything works perfectly. It is so well engineered (just like the 29er). You don't need voodoo skills to sail it. once you learn the basic techniques and principles (and are not exposing it to winds higher than low 20ies) it's fun fun fun.