• Announcements

• Zapata

Abbreviated rules   07/28/2017

Underdawg did an excellent job of explaining the rules.  Here's the simplified version: Don't insinuate Pedo.  Warning and or timeout for a first offense.  PermaFlick for any subsequent offenses Don't out members.  See above for penalties.  Caveat:  if you have ever used your own real name or personal information here on the forums since, like, ever - it doesn't count and you are fair game. If you see spam posts, report it to the mods.  We do not hang out in every thread 24/7 If you see any of the above, report it to the mods by hitting the Report button in the offending post.   We do not take action for foul language, off-subject content, or abusive behavior unless it escalates to persistent stalking.  There may be times that we might warn someone or flick someone for something particularly egregious.  There is no standard, we will know it when we see it.  If you continually report things that do not fall into rules #1 or 2 above, you may very well get a timeout yourself for annoying the Mods with repeated whining.  Use your best judgement. Warnings, timeouts, suspensions and flicks are arbitrary and capricious.  Deal with it.  Welcome to anarchy.   If you are a newbie, there are unwritten rules to adhere to.  They will be explained to you soon enough.  
Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
Baggywrinkles

Newbie just bought a Thistle

20 posts in this topic

I just bought #1458 Thistle for $500, with trailer, one set of sails, two dagger boards and basically everything else to sail. It needs a bit of love, inside paint is chipping, as well as wood varnish, halyards need replaced soonish, nothing I can't handle. However, I am a tallship sailor and know next to nothing about small vessels. The first thing I said when I saw it was "the lines are so tiny!

I have so many questions. There are lines I have no idea what they go to. (The ship I crew has 162 lines, over six miles of rigging and I know what they all do. This shouldn't be this hard right?)

I've never used a spinnaker, but I'm told it's similar to a spritsail. (Has guys etc)

There are little holes, metal with a clampy arm thing, in the hull that make no sense and I can only guess something is missing? 

I'm not planning to race competitively, I just want to sail a small fast boat. 

Any help, diagrams, websites etc would be awesome. 

Andersen bailers! Just looker them up. Wow do I have a lot to learn.

Poke around the class association, bound to be some expertise there.

http://www.thistleclass.com/home

If you are Washington coast, here's the Seattle fleet - 

http://www.seattlethistles.org/

Here's the North tuning guide, maybe overkill, but lots of detail for setting up the boat. 

https://northsails.com/sailing/wp-content/uploads/2017/03/north-thistle-tuningguide.pdf

The Seattle fleet web page is from 2010, are they still around?

Yes they are still around,  not sure if they use that webpage though. They race Tues evenings at Leschi 

Search facebook too. Seems like more and more that is where class and fleet people are communicating (grrr.....)

Guess you can't edit posts anymore

I misspoke. Thistles race out of Leschi on Wednesdays. Typically 12-14 boats. Not sure if they are on social medial or the web. But I would suggest dropping by and checking out the boats. Probably find some assistance there.

There are Thistles in Seattle and the Portland area so you should be able to find some people to talk to face to face. There's a Yahoo based class message board; you can find the link on the class web site. There are probably no two Thistles rigged exactly the same way but they all (unless you have one that hasn't been updated in many, many years) have the same basic sail controls.

Some good pictures of several well rigged boats can be found on the Annapolis Performance Sailing web site:

http://www.apsltd.com/one-design-sailboat-parts/thistle.html

This link only gets you to the stuff APS wants you to buy. Click on "One Design Parts" and when you see a large list of various boats, look at the bottom right and click on "One Design Photos"; scroll down until you see the Thistle section. They show four boats (two woodies and two glass boats) that are actively raced. These will help you get an idea of the rigging on your boat.

The only relatively unique thing on the thistle is the heavy (70 lb) pinless centerboard (Sandy Douglass simply scaled the 1930s Intl 14 up). All the other rigging is normal dinghy stuff. Oh and the rig is also obsolete prewar stuff with double diamonds and no spreaders to the main shrouds.

I'm active in the Seattle fleet.  We mostly communicate on the seattle thistle fleet yahoo group.  https://groups.yahoo.com/neo/groups/seattlethistlefleet/info?referrer=wintersail  which you can ask to join.  We have boats actively racing from older than yours to almost new.  

Like Alan said, go here to see hundreds of photos of how 4 pristine thistles are rigged:  http://photos.apsltd.com/One-Design-Photos/Thistle

If you want more, go here:  http://www.dwinchester.com/thistle/

Feel free to PM me and we can correspond off-list if you like.  If you want to have a look at how all the boats at Leschi are rigged, that can happen before racing any Wednesday.

Best,

Eric Rayl, #3940

PS-did your boat come with wood spars or aluminum?  Does it have 45 degree braces located near where the shrouds run through the rails?

Thanks everyone. I definitely want to go check out the Seattle fleet.

Eric, I will need more information to answer your question. On a tallship, spars are yards, and braces are the lines you use to tack the yards!

It has an aluminum mast and I have no idea what you mean by 45 degree braces. The shrouds go through the rail and are attached to the seat box at about 45 degrees. (?)

(thanks for your patience!)

Great that you have an aluminum mast-what color?  black and clear anodized are both OK, gold anodized is sailable but not competitive in racing due to being too stiff.

The mast butt sits on a board about a 1.5' wide that runs between the rails about a foot ahead of where the shrouds pass through the rails.  On newer boats than yours there is a small board, about 1" x 2" that runs from the rails near the shroud holes to the mast supporting board at a 45 degree angle.  Your boat would not have had them when new, but they may have been added.  I ask because if you sail in higher winds the 45 degree braces will keep the rails from delaminating or breaking where the shrouds pass through.

Prominently shown in this pic:  Interior_3.jpg

How to add them:  http://www.rziha.net/sailing/resurrecting_2682/installing_45s.shtml

There are a few other things to make an older Thistle like a new one, this is the one you should do if it hasn't been done.

thistles are wonderfull  medium -high performance boats normally sailed with a crew of three. They are not really a good boat for novices who are just starting out in small boat sailing. Please don't try to sail this boat in any decent breeze unless you have 2 experienced Thistle sailors to help you or you WILL capsize!

Eric, clear anodized mast and yes it has the 45 degree braces. I will take some photos once I can figure out how to get my iPhone to take photos under 1mb!

Edward, thank you for your input. Two things I would like to do is crew for a team in the Seattle fleet a few times to feel the speed, motion etc, if they will have me. And to take mine out in no wind (it has oar locks and "oars" more like sweeps) and then in very light wind, and take my time with it. (Also I have sailed tallships, a 42ft tri, and a 28ft cutter. Not a total novice, just a small boat/ Thistle novice.) And as much as I would like to drop this Thistle and right it myself  to get over fear of that, I will take my time getting to know her. I will avoid decent breezes until I am confident I am capable. 

Everything I can see in the photos is good-45 degree braces added, newer spars, hull stiffeners added, jib leads in the correct position.  Let me know when you want to sail and I'll find you a ride in my boat or someone elses.

Awesome! Thanks Eric. I was thinking of driving out there Wednesday the 16th of you'll be sailing then.

I'll be out of town that week.  Shall I try to find you a crewing spot on a boat?  If you just want to look at boats before they head out show up about 5:00.   Click on the envelope symbol at the top right of the page and you'll find a message with my e-mail address.  Let's correspond off-list.

Best,

Eric Rayl

Looks like you got one of the D&M boats where they built the thwart too far forward. My boat, 2566, is the same and you can see the jib leads were moved aft off the thwart to get the sheeting angle right, and there is a cutout in order to get the centerboard all the way back. Some people have moved the jib leads up from the thwart instead of back to have more space for the middle crew. I ripped that wood out my first time sailing and have since moved the jib sheet cleats further back near the mainsheet block and installed adjustable floating jib leads on the thwart. This boat was definitely raced and upgraded at some point as it has a newer mast/boom, 45's and the correction with the thwart.