• Announcements

• Zapata

Abbreviated rules   07/28/2017

Underdawg did an excellent job of explaining the rules.  Here's the simplified version: Don't insinuate Pedo.  Warning and or timeout for a first offense.  PermaFlick for any subsequent offenses Don't out members.  See above for penalties.  Caveat:  if you have ever used your own real name or personal information here on the forums since, like, ever - it doesn't count and you are fair game. If you see spam posts, report it to the mods.  We do not hang out in every thread 24/7 If you see any of the above, report it to the mods by hitting the Report button in the offending post.   We do not take action for foul language, off-subject content, or abusive behavior unless it escalates to persistent stalking.  There may be times that we might warn someone or flick someone for something particularly egregious.  There is no standard, we will know it when we see it.  If you continually report things that do not fall into rules #1 or 2 above, you may very well get a timeout yourself for annoying the Mods with repeated whining.  Use your best judgement. Warnings, timeouts, suspensions and flicks are arbitrary and capricious.  Deal with it.  Welcome to anarchy.   If you are a newbie, there are unwritten rules to adhere to.  They will be explained to you soon enough.  
HGER2012

Block with carbon sheave

Hi,

this is my home made full carbon block. sheave diameter is 45 mm. The sheave has only 7 g.

I haven't tested the breaking load yet.

It is made in a mould, pay attention for the fiber orientation.

block2.JPG

Carbon fiber is sharp when it self destructs, so don't use any high $ sheets with that thing. BTW, did the idea come from the CF clew rings on TP 52's?

Ropeye makes some neat looking stuff. Which I hope to try out soon!

3 hours ago, HGER2012 said:

i 've checked the the breaking load : 630 kg.

Interesting!  But you should define what breaking load - how did carry out the test? (I guess the 630 refers to breaking the ring with eg two ropes attached, each side of the ring. If so, you have done a good job when making the ring. Another, maybe more relevant, test would be ....)

@Thibault: how about the patent you mention?

The dynamic (i.e. “rotating) use of low friction rings (LFR’s) is existing as long as they are available as far as I know. Also Ropeye -now with worldwide distribution through Harken’s sales organization- is selling this kind of use with LFR’s as in below pictures:

u_block.jpg

ROPEYE-ROU-CBN-5__11226.1496831883.1280.

Another picture, published by Colligo Marine in their catalogues from 2012 and still on their website: clearly and at least suggesting a low friction ring being used dynamically (rotating):

New2to1blcok.jpg

I see a difference, and a big one, at least in your ropeye photos.

Getting through safety tests and development stages is costly, and being able to back up your product if one explodes and hurts someone, makes a patent valuable.

How many years is a patent nowadays ? 20 years ?

In Europe its 20 yrs, says wikipedia etc.

On 9/26/2017 at 4:26 PM, Thibault Ino-Rope said:

Hello HGER2012,
Yep that should work really well but you are using a patented concept ;) SO i hope it is just for your personal use :)

Please post the patent on your website or here so that we can see what your patent covers. Or a patent number so that it can be looked up easily.

BTW going after a happy DIY guy with patent infringement claims on the SA forums is an awesome marketing strategy...

Come on, you take it to seriously, do you not see the smileys :):):)

He did not claim, just informed, that is his right. He even encouraged him by telling he is on the right track.

Hey, did miss that manufacturer, though I know him from the past, good young Nico. Smart cookie to use existing blocks and an add on.

Funny that page you link to sells Ino, Ropeye and this Morf one.

10 minutes ago, SySunday said:

Can you elaborate on that?

...oOoOoOoOoOo... LFR rules & DIY rules ...oOoOoOoOoOo... 

Hi LeoV, yes that´s me... thanks for keeping me young ;).

I agree with you, there is a lot of work behind any development and a patent is a fair way of protection.  

I must say that the Morf blocks might look similar but work differently as they have a bearing and have their own patent. Our standard range is back compatible with existing loop thimbles. You can learn more about them at www.morfblock.com .

Hi Nico, damn times fly...

looks good that morf, next time METS will try to meet, was sick last time...

On 9/12/2017 at 10:10 PM, LeoV said:

Hi Nico, damn times fly...

looks good that morf, next time METS will try to meet, was sick last time...

LeoV... indeed was in 2004 when I went down to tarragona and 2011 the website! Would be great to meet at METS.

MORF is a unique concept which is getting lots of interest and we have a lot of stuff in RnD. So hopefully we have many things next year at METS.

Here you see a young girl showing all details of a pulley rotating on a rope axle. This YouTube was posted in October 2013