• Announcements

• Zapata

Abbreviated rules   07/28/2017

Underdawg did an excellent job of explaining the rules.  Here's the simplified version: Don't insinuate Pedo.  Warning and or timeout for a first offense.  PermaFlick for any subsequent offenses Don't out members.  See above for penalties.  Caveat:  if you have ever used your own real name or personal information here on the forums since, like, ever - it doesn't count and you are fair game. If you see spam posts, report it to the mods.  We do not hang out in every thread 24/7 If you see any of the above, report it to the mods by hitting the Report button in the offending post.   We do not take action for foul language, off-subject content, or abusive behavior unless it escalates to persistent stalking.  There may be times that we might warn someone or flick someone for something particularly egregious.  There is no standard, we will know it when we see it.  If you continually report things that do not fall into rules #1 or 2 above, you may very well get a timeout yourself for annoying the Mods with repeated whining.  Use your best judgement. Warnings, timeouts, suspensions and flicks are arbitrary and capricious.  Deal with it.  Welcome to anarchy.   If you are a newbie, there are unwritten rules to adhere to.  They will be explained to you soon enough.  

Hall of Fame game on NBC. Thus begins the hype and hoopla of the NFL season. Dallas vs Az and the only thing noteworthy of the recent weeks was that of all the players involved in felony type activities, Dallas cut a player that was ultimately absolved of being anywhere near the scene of what he was accused of. But he wasn't much of a player apparently. Being an all star RB will get you a lot of slack for Jerry though.

I, shockingly, am rooting for my mighty Seahawks to go all the way.

Go Hawks!

WL

Can't wait for more brain injury data to come out so the suits at NFL HQ can start sweating more.  If there was a more self centered bastard that Roger Godell, I haven't seem one in a long time.

By the way, go Bears!

22 minutes ago, Innocent Bystander said:

I see hopelessness springs eternal.  When will you learn? 

Never..............after 65 years through thick and thin............if I didn't ditch the Cubs, I'm sure not gonna ditch my Bears!

Its damn near religious.......

Speaking of the sea chickens.......I see Kenny Easley is getting a gold jacket this year. Well deserved.......you talk about "boom"! He was all "boom" before it was a cute saying.

First day of camp and Tannehill goes out with a knee injury, perhaps for the year.  Talking about signing Cutler or Kap.  What?  What have I done to deserve such karma?  is it the boobie pics?  If so, too bad; I've been a fan of boobs longer than I've been a Dolphins fan, though the reasons for the appreciation have changed over the years.  

Cutler and Gase have been player/coach together before, that could work. Unlike some of Chicago fans, I liked Cutler. Tough guy, great arm....occasional misjudgements on a pass but much of that had to do with playing from behind and trying to push a pass in too tight. He also had a different coach and/or offensive coordinator every other year. Has a couple real bad offensive lines....so bad he got sacked like 55 times one season. Still holds just about every QB record for the Bears. You could do worse.

Kap? He had a great season....really great.......one year and looked like shit for a while. I don't follow the 9ers so I have no idea what mitigating issues there might have been. 

Kenny Easley was so much fun to watch. As pointed out above. He was a hitter before that was a thing. Glad to see him getting his respect. The 'Fins are going to be hurting if they bring in Kapernick. Cutler is the better choice. The guy that looked scary good last night was Blaine Gabbert, back up for the Cardinals. Impressive command of the offense. For a guy who has bounced around a lot, he looked very, very good.

WL

1 minute ago, Frers381 said:

Kenny Easley was so much fun to watch. As pointed out above. He was a hitter before that was a thing. Glad to see him getting his respect. The 'Fins are going to be hurting if they bring in Kapernick. Cutler is the better choice. The guy that looked scary good last night was Blaine Gabbert, back up for the Cardinals. Impressive command of the offense. For a guy who has bounced around a lot, he looked very, very good.

WL

Didn't Kap blather some Castro thing that got the Miami Cubans all lathered up? 

I have tried to pay little to no attention to anything with Kap in it. With the exception of you yanking my chain about him coming here. ^_^

I don't see him playing again in the NFL, mostly due to the distraction that he has become.

WL

51 minutes ago, Frers381 said:

WL

He looked good but was up against the most disorganized defense in football. Hope the pokes figure that out soon. 

2 hours ago, Point Break said:

Didn't Kap blather some Castro thing that got the Miami Cubans all lathered up? 

Yeah, he said something about the Cuban health care system and the education system.  Those are two of the bright spots in the Castro regime, so mentioning them in Miami is verboten.  On the other hand, when the kneeling during the anthem was all the rage, the Dolphins' owner was one of the few who told the players that they could make whatever statement they wanted.  It lasted for a game or two, if memory serves, and a couple of players did it.  

Word is that Cutler wants starters money, and they don't even know that they need him yet.  Now talking Kap or RG3.  So it is with my football life.  One of my two teams will forever try to replace Marino, and the other will forever try to replace Tebow.  

Re Easley, a well-deserved entrance into the HOF, along with Jason Taylor, and undersized defensive end from a small school who played like a wild man for the first play of his career and the last play of his career, and every single one in between.  But Easley, that SOB.  I was in a rocking Orange Bowl in 83 for a divisional playoff game against the heavy underdog Seahawks, including Easley, when they came back to win in the last couple of minutes.  I did not talk for a week.  Even if I had wanted to, I couldn't.  It took more than that for my voice to come back.  Second best Dolphins loss I ever saw.  

59 minutes ago, Sol Rosenberg said:

Cutler to Dolphins.  10 million bucks.  

I think you'll be okay. Gase and he click very well. Depends on your O line. Glad we don't play you this year......that would be weird.......

I find it interesting, in that they have kept Matt Moore around as a pretty expensive backup for several years, but still looked outside for help.  That battle will be fun to watch in camp.  The line was hot and cold last year, with more than their share of injuries, depending on whether the center's hip was healthy.  Gase has instilled a different mindset, it seems; one that makes no excuses for those injuries.  He's good.  

Just now, Sol Rosenberg said:

I find it interesting, in that they have kept Matt Moore around as a pretty expensive backup for several years, but still looked outside for help.  That battle will be fun to watch in camp.  The line was hot and cold last year, with more than their share of injuries, depending on whether the center's hip was healthy.  Gase has instilled a different mindset, it seems; one that makes no excuses for those injuries.  He's good.  

We were very sorry to lose him to the head coach job there. I think he has the potential to be a HOF coach someday.

This one made me laugh.  I just read that the Dolphins briefly considered Tim Tebow, before signing Cutler.  Of course, Tebow is excelling as a member of the St. Lucie Mets.  He is cranking out homers and the team has set attendance records this year.  I'm a fan of both, but if the Dolphins had signed Tebow I would have hit the roof.  

42 minutes ago, Sol Rosenberg said:

This one made me laugh.  I just read that the Dolphins briefly considered Tim Tebow, before signing Cutler.  Of course, Tebow is excelling as a member of the St. Lucie Mets.  He is cranking out homers and the team has set attendance records this year.  I'm a fan of both, but if the Dolphins had signed Tebow I would have hit the roof.  

:o

You know..........he is a heck of an athlete and a big dude.. If they signed him as say......tight end, or fullback......he might do well. Even OLB could perhaps work. But we already know what kind of QB he is.........I wondered why he never agreed to play a different position in the NFL. I seem to recall one of the teams sorta offered him a look in another capacity but he said no he would only play QB. So now he is spanking baseballs in the minor leagues.............

Dumb ass.

37 minutes ago, Frers381 said:

If the Fins can't use Tebow perhaps the Chargers.........

In 3.2.1........

WL

Woody has not weighed with the string of "f"'s when the Bolts have been mentioned several times now. Is he on a timeout?

13 hours ago, Point Break said:

:o

You know..........he is a heck of an athlete and a big dude.. If they signed him as say......tight end, or fullback......he might do well. Even OLB could perhaps work. But we already know what kind of QB he is.........I wondered why he never agreed to play a different position in the NFL. I seem to recall one of the teams sorta offered him a look in another capacity but he said no he would only play QB. So now he is spanking baseballs in the minor leagues.............

Dumb ass.

He's doing his thing. I'm biased, due to his college years, but he walks the walk in real life with his missionary work. Doing stuff for others is a currency that buys a lot of goodwill. He doesn't thump his chest and flap his gums about it, he just does it. If he wants to swing a bat, so be it. He won't get the stuffing knocked out of him as often, and be left to live his golden years drooling and in pain. 

Chargers a tough read right now.  Talents there but not sure about depth.  Top two draft picks are PUP and ACL surgery-bound.  The O-line settles (big Question #1), K. Allen makes it thru a full season, D-line kicks ass like they should and....in toughest Conf in league...they go 9-7.

Home game prices skyrocketing.  Good seats for Seattle preseason next week start at $170.

Still plenty weird driving by and seeing NFL team working out.  Mater Dei's run as top program in OC is done.

On 8/7/2017 at 3:53 AM, Sol Rosenberg said:

Cutler to Dolphins.  10 million bucks.  

They should try and bribe the Bengals to give up A.J. McCarron. He's starter caliber and stuck behind Andy Dalton. He carried the team to the playoffs the last quarter of the season when Dalton was injured, and even had the Squealers on the ropes in the wild card game until the defense gave it away.

He's itchy to get traded, though I think he's still making the polite noises for team unity.

1 minute ago, B.J. Porter said:

They should try and bribe the Bengals to give up A.J. McCarron. He's starter caliber and stuck behind Andy Dalton. He carried the team to the playoffs the last quarter of the season when Dalton was injured, and even had the Squealers on the ropes in the wild card game until the defense gave it away.

He's itchy to get traded, though I think he's still making the polite noises for team unity.

It sounds like Cutler was the guy from the moment Tannehill got hurt.  They say that the top brass is really happy to have gotten him, (giddy) which makes me wonder how much faith the new coaching staff has in Tannehill.  

I think my team may have drafted the dumbest kid they could find! Who goes ATV riding a month before camp???

Knucklehead!

http://www.seattletimes.com/sports/seahawks/seahawks-personnel-updates-frank-clark-back-next-week-germain-ifedi-back-wednesday-malik-mcdowell-returns-home/

WL

30 minutes ago, Rum Runner said:

Bears just lost their first offensive lineman for the season.  Time to wait for next year.

Center 3 are solid, but the tackles..............and really no depth.......sigh.

So in "the team you love to hate" news, the Patriots now own 2 767s. All first class seats in them.

Gronk will get hurt and Belichick will have atleast one pilot as a TE fill in and have a record breaking season. 

36 minutes ago, Point Break said:

Center 3 are solid, but the tackles..............and really no depth.......sigh.

Of course that's hoping Long gets back......

1 hour ago, Rum Runner said:

Bears just lost their first offensive lineman for the season.  Time to wait for next year.

No reason to worry about it. Green Bay will win the conference anyway. :D

I am curious to see how the media cover the protest at NFL HQ tomorrow. Several groups are planning to protest for Kaepernick to get a job in the NFL. Spike Lee and Stephen A. Smith have been just a few to call out the NFL over this. One of the groups is a civil rights group. I am not sure how not getting a job because you suck is a civil rights thing. But, Oh Well.

WL

19 hours ago, Frers381 said:

I am curious to see how the media cover the protest at NFL HQ tomorrow. Several groups are planning to protest for Kaepernick to get a job in the NFL. Spike Lee and Stephen A. Smith have been just a few to call out the NFL over this. One of the groups is a civil rights group. I am not sure how not getting a job because you suck is a civil rights thing. But, Oh Well.

WL

I cracked up when I saw his supporters misspelled his name in the call for action........oh....there's an "e" in it?

1 hour ago, Point Break said:

I cracked up when I saw his supporters misspelled his name in the call for action........oh....there's an "e" in it?

This was by far one of the best stories to come out of the whole Kaepernick fiasco!

He won't be signed because wherever he goes, he'll split the locker room, the fanbase, and damn near the entire city in two. Politics need to be left out of sports it's getting ridiculous. Although apparently he did get a reasonable offer but turned it down because it was "backup money" and he considers himself above that

Titans are gonna be the team to keep an eye out for this year. I hate to say that as a Texans fan but they've been doing all the right things for the past few seasons and it's only so long before they blow up. it's gonna be tough for anyone in the AFC to get past the pats this year though

Just realized that Derek Watt, Charger's FB, is another Watt brother.   Three NFL'ers from one family.  JJ with Texans, TJ with Steelers.

Can't remember three, never mind all playing at once.

16 hours ago, blunderfull said:

Just realized that Derek Watt, Charger's FB, is another Watt brother.   Three NFL'ers from one family.  JJ with Texans, TJ with Steelers.

The Mannings almost had it. Peyton, Eli, Cooper, but cooper hurt his neck/back and now nobody could care less about him

16 hours ago, blunderfull said:

Gronkowkis and Fullers as siblings......lotsa brother, parents and cousins as well.

https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_family_relations_in_American_football

Da Bears kick off their preseason tonight at 4 on NFL network. Playing the Bronco's. The first 10 minutes should tell us a bit. 3 other games going on. One of which is Vikes and Bills. Interesting side note for Viking fans. Your kicker who choked the "Hawks into the playoffs in '15, is our leading candidate in Camp for the open kicker spot. Hit a 65 yarder yesterday. Now if we can just get him to hit from 26 yards or so, we should be starting another player from our farm team in Minn.

Duckin and running!!

WL

I am recording the game since I won't be home till long after kickoff, probably till after game over. You are right the 1st 10 minutes will be interesting for the Bears. I'll have to institute an information blackout beginning at 1700........

4 hours ago, Frers381 said:

Da Bears kick off their preseason tonight at 4 on NFL network. Playing the Bronco's. The first 10 minutes should tell us a bit. 3 other games going on. One of which is Vikes and Bills. Interesting side note for Viking fans. Your kicker who choked the "Hawks into the playoffs in '15, is our leading candidate in Camp for the open kicker spot. Hit a 65 yarder yesterday. Now if we can just get him to hit from 26 yards or so, we should be starting another player from our farm team in Minn.

Duckin and running!!

WL

" The first 10 minutes should tell us a bit. "

The first minute said a lot

Bears looked better overall than I thought they would. The D is pretty solid and the Offense sputtered like a preseason game.

Biggest news of the night.......

Cleveland Browns won a football game. Is this s sign of the Apocalypse????

:)

WL

There were two college QBs I liked last year (keeping in mind that I am not a Ryan Tannehill fan and remain convinced that he is not the answer). 

Davis Webb, Cal - now NY Giants. 

Trubisky. 

Awesome talent. Not sure he is worth the trade-up, but it won't take much to make folks think it was a smart move. 

8 hours ago, Frers381 said:

Bears looked better overall than I thought they would. The D is pretty solid and the Offense sputtered like a preseason game.

Biggest news of the night.......

Cleveland Browns won a football game. Is this s sign of the Apocalypse????

:)

WL

I didn't know the NFL did forfeits...

5 hours ago, Sol Rosenberg said:

There were two college QBs I liked last year (keeping in mind that I am not a Ryan Tannehill fan and remain convinced that he is not the answer). 

Davis Webb, Cal - now NY Giants. 

Trubisky. 

Awesome talent. Not sure he is worth the trade-up, but it won't take much to make folks think it was a smart move. 

Let’s not overdo it based on first-round draft pick Mitch Trubisky’s effort in the closing minutes of the second quarter and throughout the second half against a lot of players that will be ex-Broncos in the near future. Remind yourself it’s foolish to make sweeping judgments based on preseason performances, especially against second- and third-teamers.

I don't disagree. Preseason games are structured by the coaches to look at lots of personnel and schemes. There are often plays called that are less about the game strategy and more about looking at a certain player. Still, it did show some tendencies and abilities. I think unless Glennon continues to post zero QB ratings throughout preseason, Trubisky will still be looking at no. 2 as his best hope to begin the season. However.....if Glennon does not perform and Trubisky continues to develop......we could see him start part way into the season. It's clearly still Glennons job to lose.......for now.......

Another thing I liked was the tendency toward grind it out slowly ground game opening the short passes and eventually some midrange stuff as well. That's traditional Bear football. Unfortunately, that approach seems.....to me....to land more squarely in Trubisky's skill set than Glennons. But we haven't seen much of Glennon yet.......so we'll see. Also, Trubisky does not have a lot of experiance under center seemingly more comfortable in the shotgun. He'll need to develop that skill as well. It will be interesting to watch.

Seahawks walk away with a win in LA. Woody was right about the Chargers.

Interesting to watch how good our 2nd and 3rd string guys were compared to LA. When the starters were on the field it was pretty even. LA got a TD on opening drive and we got a FG. Rivers looked very good for LA.

I am just grateful for the season starting after being on the roller coaster that is life as a Mariners fan.

WL

TV coverage didn't show the National Anthem but it turns out one of my favorite players is no longer one of my favorites. Michael Bennett has always been a fun player to watch. High motor and an articulate interview. But he decided to sit for the Anthem yesterday and plans to continue to sit for the remainder of the season.

I find myself disappointed because when he was interviewed he could not clearly articulate his reason in any way other than to mumble about Charlestown and the problems this Country is facing. While I agree with him, I disagree with his method. He is constantly sought out by reporters after every game. He has a great platform already to speak to the issue on a weekly basis.

Well, he is entitled to his Freedom of Expression and so am I.

WL

Bennetts a dick.jpg

The next time you think you've royally fucked up, remember the Atlanta Falcons now have a Chik Fil A in their home stadium.

13 hours ago, Bus Driver said:

the Atlanta Falcons now have a Chik Fil A in their home stadium.

Heard about this....  I mean.... I do enjoy their food, except on SUNDAY !

Went for a little 4 day cruise over the weekend and one of the island stops on Friday had a little marina and a little bar

Seahawks fans were tailgating on the dock and then into the bar for some reallt, really loud football. Not a vikings fan to be found. Anywhere.

WL

At the risk of being accused of talking to myself...

The Browns have stunned the football world with 2 wins in preseason which is twice as many wins as they had all season last year.

The Jaguars still cant find a starting QB and may entertain Colin K.

Dallas is still acting like Elliot did nothing wrong and is just misunderstood.

My Seahawks face the Chiefs tonight for what will be the longest playing time of the preseason for the starters. Rees Odhiambo is one to watch at left tackle replacing Fant. Rookie RB Carson could upset the apple cart for the starting RB position.

Who's got what on your teams? Or do ya all just not like the NFL? (not that I would blame ya)

WL

On 8/18/2017 at 11:30 AM, IrieMon said:

Heard about this....  I mean.... I do enjoy their food, except on SUNDAY !

Poutine!?!? What's next, Canadian Football?

It’s great news for Chick-fil-A employees who want to watch the Falcons on Sunday, and horrible for anyone else seeing the Falcons on Sunday. It’s good news for college fans and MLS fans though, who will get all the chicken they can eat on their game days.

The Mercedes-Benz stadium concessions list notes that on Sundays, Chick-fil-A is replaced by “Fries Up,” which was a hashtag Chick-fil-A coined during the Falcons playoff run in 2017, but despite the link there won’t be any chicken at the restaurant.

Alison Blue, media relations for the AMB Group, tells SB Nation.com what the restaurant will be on Sundays.

“This stand will become a custom concept called “Fries Up” on Sundays when we have games and “Fries Up” is operated by us in partnership with Levy, our concessions partner in the stadium. The menu items take a southern spin on classic poutine fries and are intended to be shareable items with unique packaging designed for portability.”

It’s okay though, because there might be another option for fans.

Reports coming in that Julian Edelman, Brady's favorite receiver, has suffered a season-ending torn ACL. 

Yep. The Chiefs lost their starting RB Wade in the first quarter tonight as well.

Detroit did not look good. Anywhere.

Hawks did so so IMHO. The loss of Fant at Left tackle will be hard to overcome. The D is still vulnerable to the short crossing route pass plays. Otherwise looked pretty good.

WL

Coliseum half empty and CBS pimping the "Battle for LA" ad nauseum.  Watched a half and then ran out of chips and salsa so I was done..  shitty game after Rivers left.

Chargers first team D shredded the Ram scrubs.  No surprise there.   Goff sucks, Mannion can move the Ram's O.   Goff will be on bench prolly before season opener as McVay has no ties to that wahole fiasco.  Loss of Donald is mindboggling for Rams.  Best player sitting it out?  Owned by Rams for another 4 years (contract + Franchise tag keeps him another two) and his people tell him to sit?  Messed up - as are Rams in general.

Bolts should go as far as Rivers can take them.  His skills are stilll impressive and keep the o-line healthy and they go 9-7 in a very tough division. Same old story for Bolts.

31 minutes ago, By the lee said:

Not sure that Kap's stance is as pure as the great men of history that he is compared to. He has done little other than taking a knee and wearing socks depicting Police Officers as pigs. In the current political climate we find ourselves in, he could be an active voice in the media calling for change. There seem to be many that support him. Yet I have heard nothing (not that I have looked very hard)

Time will tell.

WL

On 8/25/2017 at 3:13 PM, Frers381 said:

The Browns have stunned the football world with 2 wins in preseason which is twice as many wins as they had all season last year.

The Lions went 4-0 in the preseason in 2008.  Then when it counted? 

lionsowen16jersey.jpg

56 minutes ago, barleymalt said:

lionsowen16jersey.jpg

My best buddy born in Detroit and lifelong Lions fan. There is an odd and special combination of fan support and affection for the team combined with the absolute expectation they will disappoint. Kinda like how it was to be a Cubs fan my whole life.

21 hours ago, barleymalt said:

lionsowen16jersey.jpg

I can't tell you how many times my fellow Iggles fans have cited preseason performance as an indication of an imminent Super Bowl victory.

Interesting direction for medicine to take. Having dealt with joint injuries and a knee replacement, I am encouraged by these first steps being taken.

http://www.seattletimes.com/sports/seahawks/seahawks-go-all-in-on-blood-spinning-treatment-but-does-it-really-work/

WL

All I can say as a Bengals fan is...screw the NFL. If only Vontaze Burfict would just beat his wife in public or something or deflate a few balls, instead of playing old school, smashmouth football. Then we wouldn't have problems with him getting suspended for legal hits, or receiving sentences far in extreme of what other players get.

Gotta make an example of him, I suppose. So bumping a receiver w/in five yards of the LoS isn't a suspending offense, unless your name rhymes with "Montays Murfict."

Yeah, yeah, yeah, he's a thug, he's a goon, he should in a house fire and all that other shit we hear from haters around the NFL. I've watched the guy play a lot; he's 110% energized on field and nigh unstoppable, and he's knocked off the shit he did in the first couple of seasons. Doesn't matter though.

You guys have fun. I'm take'n a knee again this season.  

When the felonies stop and instead of taking knees they donate some 10-15% of salaries to programs for the poor, I might watch a game. 

On a more humorous note, I read this interview with Geno Atkins. He rarely talks to the press, and for all his scary talent on the field he is a man of few words. You can can feel the reporter tearing his hair out in frustration trying to get anything out of him.

http://www.cincinnati.com/story/sports/nfl/bengals/2017/08/31/cincinnati-bengals-geno-atkins-speaks-first-time-nearly-two-years/619014001/

Apparently the sports media forgot to notify the KC Chiefs that the Patriots had already locked up this season and that the games were a mere formality.

What an ass kicking!

WL

I actually thought the officiating was worse than usual. It seemed pretty one sided. You could see many penalties going uncalled against the Patriots. Kudos to the Chiefs for coming to play in such a dominant fashion that the penalties didn't matter! Alex Smith was not his normal conservative self and it showed. That and their new RB is a freaking Stud!

Brady without Edelman is not good if you are a Pats fan (which I am definitely not) ;)

WL

Why I Will Boycott the NFL

Posted By Don Santina On September 8, 2017 @ 1:43 am In articles 2015 | Comments Disabled

Yes, yes, I know, no one will notice if I don’t attend a National Football League game this season or watch one on television. And the sky won’t fall  if I refuse to read about those games in my daily sports section, listen to sports talk radio or discuss the seasonal  ups and downs of the 49ers and the Raiders with my cousin or my father-in-law.  Also, I know that the wallets of the fat cat NFL owners will not be thinned by my withdrawal, and the advertising revenue will continue to overfill their coffers as well as the sales of caps, jerseys and logo embossed gadgets.

I don’t care. I’m really pissed off. Colin Kaepernick is out of work for daring to speak out against police violence.

I remember when Muhammed Ali made his heroic stand again the draft and the war in Vietnam. The media heaped abuse on him, and the fat cats of the boxing world stripped him of his title. He was out of the ring for three years.  Not long after, at the Olympic ceremonies in Mexico City, Tommie Smith and John Carlos had the audacity to raise their fists against racism.  They were expelled from the Olympics and vilified at home. A popular magazine called them “petulant.”

Times change; kings do not.

Fifty years later, a Black quarterback decides to kneel during the national anthem in silent protest.  The bozos go nuts: the nerve of that guy! Doesn’t he know this is the land of the free and the home of the brave?  They burn effigies of Kaepernick outside stadiums where he is playing.  They light up the talk show lines and social media, and in an erudite interpretation of the constitutional protection of free speech, their orange haired Bozo-in-Chief says, “maybe he should find a country that works better for him.”

Months pass and Kaepernick remains unemployed as mediocre quarterbacks continue to sign lucrative new contracts with the 32 teams of the NFL for the 2017 season.  The team owners in their invisible white sheets and their stooge, Roger Goodell, insist to the media that Kaepernick is not being hired because he “doesn’t have the ability,” not because he dared to protest. Even the legendary quarterback Joe Montana, to his everlasting shame, provides cover for the bosses, stating in July that Kaepernick’s inability to find a job “comes down to his play as much as anything.”

Say it ain’t so, Joe.

Let’s look at some stats. Sports people love stats; we live and die on yards rushing, completions, TDs and interceptions to name a few.  So let’s start with the fact that Colin Kaepernick has an 88.9 passer rating and his interception rate in the 2nd best in NFL history.  Not too shabby, huh?  Now, let’s look at some of the quarterbacks signed while Colin waited by the phone. Remember, boys and girls, it’s all about winning and making money with these guys, unless there’s some other issue like a Black guy stirring up a fuss.

So, here we go:  Austin Davis, signed by the Seahawks, hasn’t played a game since 2015;  David Olson, now working for the Ravens, was a big “star’ in the Indoor Football League (wow!);  Mike Glennon, hired by the Bears, has thrown 11 passes in two years; Josh McCown, now with his eighth team, the Jets, is 2-20 over the past three years; Landry Jones of the Steelers has made two starts in each of the last two seasons, and the 49ers’ own Matt Barkly threw 14 interceptions in seven games last year and has a passer rating of 63.7.

Okay, with all this evidence related to quarterback ability, we’re talking black balling and lockout, familiar tactics by owners for those who understand the history of race and labor relations. The teams of the NFL are not unlike plantations and their owners are absolute rulers. They want to keep this system intact. They shake down cities for tax breaks and free public land. They contribute to Republicans over Democrats at a ratio of 40 to 1.   They promoted a Jim Crow system for decades, keeping black athletes out of football’s marquee position, the quarterback.

Is anyone surprised that they would lockout the dissenter, Colin Kaepernick? Kaepernick is a threat to the wellbeing of the National Football League plantation system and the wealth of its fat cat owners.

Aside from the fact that we live in a society where there are still people who can’t accept the notion of a Black man taking a principled stand, there is the fact that 70 per cent of the players in the NFL are Black, as well as 50-70 per cent of college football players. The money made at the top is on the backs of the Black players. Let’s say that again:  the money made at the top is on the backs of the Black players. If the Black players on the plantation rebel, the whole financial house of cards–from big buck college programs all the way to the pros–will collapse.

The next Black rebel could be protesting about concussions, that Big-Costly-NFL-Secret, so the present Kaepernick must be shut down to send an intimidating message to any future Kaepernicks who object to the system.

Just like Muhammed Ali. Just like Tommie Smith, John Carlos and other Black athletes like Paul Robeson, Jack Johnson and Bill Russell who decided speak out.

Over fifty years ago, Hollywood outdid itself in the making of “Inherit the Wind,” a film based on the notorious 1927 trial of a teacher who dared to teach Darwinism in a Tennessee school. The teacher was defended by Clarence Darrow who is called Henry Drummond in the movie.  At one dramatic point during the trial, Drummond, played by Spencer Tracy, sums up the situation in a statement which I think applies today to that multi-billion dollar cultural behemoth known as the NFL :

“As long as the prerequisite for that shining paradise is ignorance, bigotry and hate, I say the hell with it.”

Don Santina is a long time, if episodic, contributor to Counterpunch. He can be reached at Lindey89@aol.com.

:P

13 hours ago, D.M.D. said:

Best game EVER!! I HATE the Patriots...CHEATERS!!

+10000000000000000000000000000000000000

14 hours ago, Innocent Bystander said:

Given all the penalties, I was amazed KC was able to put it together. 

Patriots looked bad. 

Historical trivia: One of the many brilliant moves Harbaugh made during his tenure as coach of the Niners was to trade the boring, pedestrian Alex Smith, who had only got them to the Super Bowl the previous year, for peanuts to clear the way for the installation of the much more talented Kaepernick as the franchise's QB "of the future".  

11 hours ago, Mark K said:

Historical trivia: One of the many brilliant moves Harbaugh made during his tenure as coach of the Niners was to trade the boring, pedestrian Alex Smith, who had only got them to the Super Bowl the previous year, for peanuts to clear the way for the installation of the much more talented Kaepernick as the franchise's QB "of the future".  

Kap puzzles me (as he obviously did Harbuagh as well). Kid is a hell of an athlete, played - somewhat "balls out" unorthodox - like he was going to be the QB of the future, then.......meh. What happened? Supporting cast means a lot but still. Media seem to indicate he was intellectually lazy about his game prep, preferring to wing it. If true that's pretty immature and matches a number of other decisions he has made. A bit puzzling.

On 9/8/2017 at 4:45 AM, D.M.D. said:

I HATE the Patriots...CHEATERS!!

I initially had no intention of writing about this topic. But I noted a disturbing haste in the conclusions about Brady’s guilt and I then read the Wells report last spring out of curiosity. What I found in it was what I had seen in so many other bogus investigations that start with a conclusion and make the “facts” fit.

My annoyance also didn’t stop with the NFL. It extended to the news media, where from The New York Times to ESPN the NFL’s case was accepted as unassailable and Brady was casually denounced as a cheater and a perjurer. Considering how much ink and time were devoted to this overblown Deflategate “scandal,” there was almost no serious examination of the actual evidence........

https://consortiumnews.com/2015/09/03/a-deflategate-slapdown-of-nfl-and-msm/

8 hours ago, Point Break said:

Kap puzzles me (as he obviously did Harbuagh as well). Kid is a hell of an athlete, played - somewhat "balls out" unorthodox - like he was going to be the QB of the future, then.......meh. What happened? Supporting cast means a lot but still. Media seem to indicate he was intellectually lazy about his game prep, preferring to wing it. If true that's pretty immature and matches a number of other decisions he has made. A bit puzzling.

http://presnapreads.com/2017/08/31/colin-kaepernick-evaluating-every-snap-from-2016/

On 9/8/2017 at 10:19 AM, Bus Driver said:

Let's just take a moment to enjoy the fact that the Patriots currently have the worst record in the NFL.

x31

Well, I'm happy I ignored my 3:00 AM alarm and slept through the season opener.

Screaming alone in the dark is not my idea of a good time.

On 9/8/2017 at 11:19 AM, Bus Driver said:

Let's just take a moment to enjoy the fact that the Patriots currently have the worst record in the NFL.

The best part is, until at least next Thursday, they will be tied for the worst record.

Yep. The Hawks struggled. A lot. But, they have a pretty good shot at going 13-3 this year. Mostly due to the fact that the rest of the NFC West will probably suck. A lot.

WL

19 hours ago, White Lightnin' said:

Yep. The Hawks struggled. A lot. But, they have a pretty good shot at going 13-3 this year. Mostly due to the fact that the rest of the NFC West will probably suck. A lot.

WL

As a Packers fan, I'll be the first to admit you guys got screwed with that nonsense ejection. That was an absurdly rediculous call. 

However...  We haven't forgotten the Golden Tate touchdown call...  so karma's a bitch! :D

Honestly, I was flat out shocked with GB's defense. It's been an awfully long time since they actually played well, let alone great!

19 hours ago, White Lightnin' said:

WL

Raiders looked pretty damn good this week. A good O-line, Carr with Beast Mode? Scary shit. 

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=YeiTNtSEhEE

1 hour ago, Monkey said:

As a Packers fan, I'll be the first to admit you guys got screwed with that nonsense ejection. That was an absurdly rediculous call. 

However...  We haven't forgotten the Golden Tate touchdown call...  so karma's a bi