• Announcements

• Zapata

Abbreviated rules   07/28/2017

Underdawg did an excellent job of explaining the rules.  Here's the simplified version: Don't insinuate Pedo.  Warning and or timeout for a first offense.  PermaFlick for any subsequent offenses Don't out members.  See above for penalties.  Caveat:  if you have ever used your own real name or personal information here on the forums since, like, ever - it doesn't count and you are fair game. If you see spam posts, report it to the mods.  We do not hang out in every thread 24/7 If you see any of the above, report it to the mods by hitting the Report button in the offending post.   We do not take action for foul language, off-subject content, or abusive behavior unless it escalates to persistent stalking.  There may be times that we might warn someone or flick someone for something particularly egregious.  There is no standard, we will know it when we see it.  If you continually report things that do not fall into rules #1 or 2 above, you may very well get a timeout yourself for annoying the Mods with repeated whining.  Use your best judgement. Warnings, timeouts, suspensions and flicks are arbitrary and capricious.  Deal with it.  Welcome to anarchy.   If you are a newbie, there are unwritten rules to adhere to.  They will be explained to you soon enough.  

Incredibly classless.  Geno isn't the top 3 pick franchise player of the future, he got picked off the scrap heap from a mediocre team.  Eli may not be HOF material, but he did win two Superbowls and deserves better than this. 

I think Eli is HOF material.    Pains me to say this, but 2x SuperBowl MVP, 4x ProBowler, 2nd all-time in consecutive starts, plus an assortment of other odd records (foisted from Wiki):

Most 4th-quarter touchdown passes in a season (15 in 2011)

• Tied NFL Record longest pass completion and touchdown (99 yards in 2011)
  • Tied NFL Record most game-winning drives in a season (8 in 2011)
  • Most road wins in a single regular season and postseason by a starting quarterback (10)
  • Most passing yards in a single postseason (1,219 yards in 2011)
  • Only QB in NFL history without throwing an interception in multiple conference championship starts 

Geno holds the record as having the most people forgetting he was still on an active roster.

iggles. Almost certainly. The only reason I say almost is even all busted up as they are.....the sea chickens are at home. They have the best home field record in the NFL over the last decade.

http://www.espn.com/nfl/story/_/id/20371914/home-field-advantage-nfl-2017-toughest-easiest-teams-play-road-more

Screen Shot 2017-12-01 at 3.17.29 PM.png

9 minutes ago, Point Break said:

Only because its 3 miles from the north pole.......

:lol:

The way I remember it you go past the North Pole, travel another 3 miles and you are in Green Bay.

2 hours ago, Bus Driver said:

Thoughts on the Sunday Night game?

Screen Shot 2017-12-01 at 6.00.30 PM.png

Eagles look tough to beat. Shocking how fast that happened. Seahawks are winning with mirrors and spit. 

Eagles are 1/1 against teams with a winning record. They are 9-0 against teams with a losing record.

But they are playing with a high level of confidence. I think this game gets decided by how well they respond to Seattle's D. If they get hit hard and keep coming they could win.

But if iggles D can't solve the enigma known as Russell Wilson, it's going to be Seahawks.

WL

If Seahawks were healthier, especially on D, I wouldn’t hesitate to go with them.   So as a diehard Seahawk fan, even had season tickets their first year in Seattle, I will still have to go with them.   But not feel quite as depressed if they lose.  Russel can be something else when his game is on.

6 hours ago, White Lightnin' said:

Eagles are 1/1 against teams with a winning record. They are 9-0 against teams with a losing record.

But they are playing with a high level of confidence. I think this game gets decided by how well they respond to Seattle's D. If they get hit hard and keep coming they could win.

But if iggles D can't solve the enigma known as Russell Wilson, it's going to be Seahawks.

WL

The Seahawks are 1-2 against teams with a winning record. They are 6-1 against teams with a losing record. Two of those wins are against the 49ers. 

Yep. I should have given both sides of that argument. I was trying to point out that while the Eagles are a great team with the best record in football, it's a record against some inferior opponents. Although the dismantling of Dallas last week made me more than a little nervous. But Dallas doesn't have Seattle's D (right now we don't either, with Kam,Richard,Cliff out) that is going to be the true test. I think  Eagles are playing some great ball. But playing here against this Defense is going to be their toughest challenge so far.

Just my .02

11 hours ago, chinabald said:

Eagles look tough to beat. Shocking how fast that happened. Seahawks are winning with mirrors and spit. 

Wentz is destined to be one of the all time greats barring serious injury.  A Brady/Wentz matchup in the SB would be very interesting.

I wonder if anyone in the Texans organization ever thinks they could have kept Keenan as a backup for cheap.  Glad to see he has been doing well for the Vikes. 

Chargers 5th/6th in total defense in rankings.

Might make playoffs/win division since Chiefs sputtered out.  

Return of Perryman (mlb) and Desmond King’s play (rookie corner) big +++.

Rivers in the groove now.  T/O differential one of best in NFL.

What u got Woody?

52 minutes ago, blunderfull said:

Bolts win.  Tied for 1st with Chiefs.   Sheesh.

6-2 roll thanks to good D and Rivers to Allen in high gear.

6-6 record and they just managed to beat a 0-12 team. Nothing to write home about.....

I think the league should suspend this idgit for a game. He just never seems to get it. All the talent in the world and a shitty attitude.

http://www.espn.com/nfl/story/_/id/21656642/marcus-peters-kansas-city-chiefs-exited-returned-sunday-penalty-confusion

WL

5 hours ago, animeproblem said:

Have to confess I have NEVER seen that in a game before.

Throwing the flag into the stands?

Nearly 10 years ago -

35 minutes ago, Bus Driver said:

As an Iggles fan, I am disappointed.  And, not surprised.

We seem to have a way of snatching defeat from the jaws of victory.

Both teams played pretty well. It was gonna be a toss up until Wentz fumbled out the end line and then the sea chickens caught fire and it was over. 

9 hours ago, austin1972 said:

Well, the Bears are terrible. That is all.

Yep, but Trubisky is getting play time and getting better. We'll see if that means anything by next year I would guess. I remain amazed by the number of injuries every year.

34 minutes ago, Point Break said:

Both teams played pretty well. It was gonna be a toss up until Wentz fumbled out the end line and then the sea chickens caught fire and it was over. 

The penalties.  Too many.

And, not challenging that "lateral".

Sigh.

On ‎12‎/‎2‎/‎2017 at 5:04 AM, White Lightnin' said:

Yep. I should have given both sides of that argument. I was trying to point out that while the Eagles are a great team with the best record in football, it's a record against some inferior opponents. Although the dismantling of Dallas last week made me more than a little nervous. But Dallas doesn't have Seattle's D (right now we don't either, with Kam,Richard,Cliff out) that is going to be the true test. I think  Eagles are playing some great ball. But playing here against this Defense is going to be their toughest challenge so far.

Just my .02

As I was saying.

WL

10 hours ago, austin1972 said:

Well, the Bears are terrible. That is all.

Let the firings begin. First out the door needs to be John Fox with all of his assistants in singe file behind him. The game was sickening to see yesterday. No motivation or desire to win. Do the players all think they can continue to play that bad and stay in the NFL or do they all plan to retire at the end of this season? It starts with the coach and needs to end with him as well. Clean house PLEASE!

1 hour ago, Bus Driver said:

And, not challenging that "lateral".

not sure why, but heard this play was not "reviewable".   Not sure I have seen a concise summary of which plays can be challenged/reviewed and which cannot.... and the reasons why.

So... Gronk suspension coming up ?   If NE loses him against the Steelers in 2 weeks, that will make it very interesting.

2 hours ago, Point Break said:

Yep, but Trubisky is getting play time and getting better. We'll see if that means anything by next year I would guess. I remain amazed by the number of injuries every year.

It seems like it's that way every year for the last several. Whomever is running their conditioning program needs to go.

Lots of people need to go, including the McCaskey family but they'll never sell. In the current environment, they're guaranteed a 30%+ return every year.

Actually, I think Gronk should be done for the season. Its not like throwing punches or any kind of face to face confrontation. Its a cowardly shot in the back. No amount of "frustration" should lead to that. Its a fucking game!

WL

4 hours ago, Rum Runner said:

Let the firings begin. First out the door needs to be John Fox with all of his assistants in singe file behind him. The game was sickening to see yesterday. No motivation or desire to win. Do the players all think they can continue to play that bad and stay in the NFL or do they all plan to retire at the end of this season? It starts with the coach and needs to end with him as well. Clean house PLEASE!

Yes, the "Firefox" logo has taken a new meaning in Chicago. :lol:

DQI31QAWsAAR1KC.jpg-large.jpeg

3 hours ago, austin1972 said:

including the McCaskey family but they'll never sell.

Both points are the consensus from every Bear fan I ever talk to (and a number of ex players - Butkus among the most vocal).

I agree with WL, but being a Steelers fan, I would love to see the Pats sans Gronk when they meet in Heinz Field on 12/17.  Of all the Patriots, he is the one I dislike the least.  He seems to be a generally easy-going fun-lovin’ guy.  

38 minutes ago, Point Break said:

Both points are the consensus from every Bear fan I ever talk to (and a number of ex players - Butkus among the most vocal).

You should hear the radio here. 2 former players (Dan Hampton and OB) on this show. They weren't on after SF because Northwestern basketball was on but you get the idea. http://wgnradio.com/2017/11/26/the-hamp-ob-show-with-koz-11-26-17-quick-hit-get-this-fool-fox-out-of-here/

7 minutes ago, austin1972 said:

You should hear the radio here. 2 former players (Dan Hampton and OB) on this show. They weren't on after SF because Northwestern basketball was on but you get the idea. http://wgnradio.com/2017/11/26/the-hamp-ob-show-with-koz-11-26-17-quick-hit-get-this-fool-fox-out-of-here/

Hampton and OB!!!! There is a quiet soft spoken pair! I might have to tune in to that regularly! That was a stellar 14 minutes. Thanks for the link!

7 hours ago, Point Break said:

This might be the mutterings of a tired, old sportswriter, but it might be the first article questioning Trubisky's talent.  And just a few weeks ago he was going to bring the Bears out of the shadows and into the light"

Mitch Trubisky may have can-do spirit, but it seems he can't do it

http://www.chicagotribune.com/sports/football/bears/ct-spt-mitch-trubisky-faults-bears-lincicome-20171202-story.html

24 minutes ago, jerseyguy said:

This might be the mutterings of a tired, old sportswriter, but it might be the first article questioning Trubisky's talent.  And just a few weeks ago he was going to bring the Bears out of the shadows and into the light"

Mitch Trubisky may have can-do spirit, but it seems he can't do it

http://www.chicagotribune.com/sports/football/bears/ct-spt-mitch-trubisky-faults-bears-lincicome-20171202-story.html

Completely possible. Only time will tell. The kid was hailed as the savior much to his disadvantage. Sportswriters are notoriously fickle.....this one won’t be the last.

Trubisky is this year’s Gerard Goff.   Nothing works, he sucks blah, blah.

Rams bring the unique talents of Sean McVay, an all-pro left tackle & same at center.   Add two stud receivers, your RB is healthy and suddenly Goff is a wunderkid.

Same ‘experts’ who worked the “Goff ‘s a major Bust”  angle are now hanging on his every word.

Kid Qb’s need schemes and weapons.  Ask Kirk Cousins how he became the highest paid QB - two words:  “Sean McVay.”

12 minutes ago, blunderfull said:

Rams bring the unique talents of Sean McVay, an all-pro left tackle & same at center.   Add two stud receivers, your RB is healthy and suddenly Goff is a wunderkid.

Same ‘experts’ who worked the “Goff ‘s a major Bust”  angle are now hanging on his every word.

Kid Qb’s need schemes and weapons.  Ask Kirk Cousins how he became the highest paid QB - two words:  “Sean McVay.”

+1. Trubisky has a lot of potential but he needs a good coach behind him who is dedicated to teaching and nurturing him.  Goff and Went have excellent coaches who work closely to develop their skills.  Fox has shown no interest in helping Trubisky reach his potential. Time to clean house and find a coach to develop Trubisky.

14 hours ago, animeproblem said:

Have to confess I have NEVER seen that in a game before.

How about this for a "never saw that before" moment. 

The Detroit Lions on defense played a down with 9 players. No one noticed to call a time out. 

21 minutes ago, chinabald said:

The Detroit Lions on defense played a down with 9 players. No one noticed to call a time out. 

Saw that, wasn’t really surprised although 10 is their normal choice.  Switched to the curling trials.

27 minutes ago, chinabald said:

Maybe they were thinking they would like to get the kind of $ baseball players do. Gotta start somewhere.  

1 hour ago, blunderfull said:

I think thats very possible....and in fact what all the fans are hoping for. The kid has talent physically......only really played his senior year and never took a snap under center till he came to the NFL. Reading defenses, understanding the unbelievable capabilities of pro defensive players instead of college defenses...the speed of the pro game.....all that takes time. I'm hopeful.

Steelers v Bengals never disappoints.

Some of the biggest hits I’ve seen this year.

Damn that was some nasty stuff.  Driving rain and all.

Le’Veon Bell just punishing that secondary.  Sheit he’s a badass.

Thank god the real Seahawks showed up Sunday night.  It is always fun to watch Russel scramble.  But Wentz di a few magic moves too.

15 hours ago, White Lightnin' said:

Actually, I think Gronk should be done for the season. Its not like throwing punches or any kind of face to face confrontation. Its a cowardly shot in the back. No amount of "frustration" should lead to that. Its a fucking game!

WL

plusse oune

9 hours ago, blunderfull said:

Steelers v Bengals never disappoints.

Some of the biggest hits I’ve seen this year.

Damn that was some nasty stuff.  Driving rain and all.

Le’Veon Bell just punishing that secondary.  Sheit he’s a badass.

Speaking of big hits, good news re Ryan Shazier who was taken to the hospital by ambulance after tackling WR Josh Malone 4 minutes into the 1st quarter.  CT scan and MRI show he has a spinal contusion and is improving and may be able to be returned to Pittsburgh today.

Re Gronk, he only got a 1 game suspension.  Don’t know what formula the NFL uses for punishing players, but 1 game isn’t nearly long enough for what he did, especially considering how concerned the league is about head injuries.  

6 hours ago, soling2003 said:

Thank god the real Seahawks showed up Sunday night.  It is always fun to watch Russel scramble.  But Wentz di a few magic moves too.

Welcome back stranger. Where ya been? Too busy laying in the sunshine??

WL

2 hours ago, J28 said:

Speaking of big hits, good news re Ryan Shazier who was taken to the hospital by ambulance after tackling WR Josh Malone 4 minutes into the 1st quarter.  CT scan and MRI show he has a spinal contusion and is improving and may be able to be returned to Pittsburgh today.

Re Gronk, he only got a 1 game suspension.  Don’t know what formula the NFL uses for punishing players, but 1 game isn’t nearly long enough for what he did, especially considering how concerned the league is about head injuries.  

Gruden was flipping out with all the cheap hits by both sides - called it “disgusting.”

Bengals with team record 173 penalty yards. That’s crazy.

JuJu’s hit on Burfict made Gronk’s look pissy weak.   Refs had lost the game by then and that he was not kicked out was bogus.

No love for Burfict- he’s the dirtiest player in NFL but that was a sick bit of football to watch.

Laughable when Big Ben says that’s just “AFC North football.”   

So far no suspension for Ju-Ju.  So if his hit made Gronk’s look pissy weak what are the criteria the NFL use for handing out suspensions?  My guess is the Gronk hit was well after the play was whistled dead and the player he hit was out of bounds and laying on his stomach while Ju-Ju’s hit was during play.  

2 hours ago, J28 said:

So far no suspension for Ju-Ju.  So if his hit made Gronk’s look pissy weak what are the criteria the NFL use for handing out suspensions?  My guess is the Gronk hit was well after the play was whistled dead and the player he hit was out of bounds and laying on his stomach while Ju-Ju’s hit was during play.  

One game suspensions for JuJu & Iloka.   

Burfict gets maimed and not many would lose sleep over that.  He’s been a marked man since coming into league.

Taking out receivers & QBs another story.  They’re not always looking/ready & to truck them is wack.  Skills guys make it all work for me.  Yea, it’s a violent game but w/o stars it’s like D2 foootball.  Dull.

Criteria for refs?  No idea how that gets worked out w/o constant replays and then 5-6 hr games.   Ugh.

14 hours ago, blunderfull said:

Gruden was flipping out with all the cheap hits by both sides - called it “disgusting.”

Bengals with team record 173 penalty yards. That’s crazy.

JuJu’s hit on Burfict made Gronk’s look pissy weak.   Refs had lost the game by then and that he was not kicked out was bogus.

No love for Burfict- he’s the dirtiest player in NFL but that was a sick bit of football to watch.

Laughable when Big Ben says that’s just “AFC North football.”   

To be fair, about 80 of those penalty yards were from two HUGE pass interfence calls, one of which set up the last second FG in the 1st half. A three point gimme.

JuJu Smith-Shithead should have been kicked out.

That Gronk, Smith-Shithead, and George Iloka all got the same suspension defies belief. But it doesn't surprise you for a Patriot, a Steeler, and a guy from a 2nd tier team that sells fuck-all for jerseys and swag in comparison. The NFL knows where its bread is buttered.

8 hours ago, B.J. Porter said:

. The NFL knows where its bread is buttered.

Uh huh.   Moving forward we got more attention on CTE protocols on one hand and the fans/former players shouting out “it’s a violent game blah, blah” on the other.

How many parents watching this thinking maybe their kid shouldn’t start playing till 14/15 y.o.?    

Times change.

9 hours ago, blunderfull said:

Uh huh.   Moving forward we got more attention on CTE protocols on one hand and the fans/former players shouting out “it’s a violent game blah, blah” on the other.

How many parents watching this thinking maybe their kid shouldn’t start playing till 14/15 y.o.?    

Times change.

We pulled our on out after the second year of Pee Wee Ball (6 years ago now). Too good of a brain on him to waste it that way.

WL

On 12/5/2017 at 4:30 AM, White Lightnin' said:

Welcome back stranger. Where ya been? Too busy laying in the sunshine??

WL

Yes sir!  82 and sunny today.  I missed a great day of sailing Lasers the other day due to a bad cough.  Blowing 30-35 with 20ft waves outside the breakwater.  I was pissed!

I hope to make it for Whidbey next year.  See you there?

16 hours ago, soling2003 said:

Yes sir!  82 and sunny today.  I missed a great day of sailing Lasers the other day due to a bad cough.  Blowing 30-35 with 20ft waves outside the breakwater.  I was pissed!

I hope to make it for Whidbey next year.  See you there?

Absolutely. It will be in a slow, but very fun, boat. But we will be there.

Seahawks, this weekend, have another big test. Similar numbers and records at almost every level, except their D has better numbers. That being said its against AFC teams and the NFC teams seem to have the edge again this year. Usually odds makers give 3 points for being the home team, so pretty even match up. But I think our D will rattle Bortles more than their D will rattle Russell. If we can contain Fournette and Russell can be Russell, I think we win this one.

Plus we are coming off a game against a Philly team that is a really good. They are coming off a win against the Colts (who are struggling).

I like our chances!

Go HAWKS!!

WL

Fun is great there.  We still have to decide on a flavor for the keg for WAT.  What will you be sailing on??

1 hour ago, Point Break said:

Shameful behavior by the sea chickens. 

Shameful Behavior by a Jaguar fan.

9 minutes ago, hobot said:

Shameful Behavior by a Jaguar fan.

The shameful sea chicken behavior was long before that silly episode. Crashing the kneel down formation and Bennett rolling up on the Jag to hurt him was shameful. So far as the fan interaction....how many times over the years has some stupid fan thrown a drink at players running into the tunnel. Adults keep going.....idiots who can’t control their temper try to climb into the stands to do combat with the idiot that threw the ice. Immature. 

Packers almost gifted the Clowns their first win.

Try as they might the Packers could not overcome the Clowns total collapse in the 4th.....

Cleveburg's 0-16 parade is still on the schedule.....

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Point Break said:

The shameful sea chicken behavior was long before that silly episode. Crashing the kneel down formation and Bennett rolling up on the Jag to hurt him was shameful. So far as the fan interaction....how many times over the years has some stupid fan thrown a drink at players running into the tunnel. Adults keep going.....idiots who can’t control their temper try to climb into the stands to do combat with the idiot that threw the ice. Immature. 

Bennett should get benched by Pete Carroll or the league should suspend him. Sheldon Richardson was almost as bad. 

I am embarrassed to be a Seahawks fan tonight.

WL

10 hours ago, White Lightnin' said:

Bennett should get benched by Pete Carroll or the league should suspend him. Sheldon Richardson was almost as bad. 

I am embarrassed to be a Seahawks fan tonight.

WL

I thought Carroll running out onto the field to try and settle it down was admirable.

25 minutes ago, Point Break said:

I thought Carroll running out onto the field to try and settle it down was admirable.

The refs did share that opinion....

;)

I will say that the Jags played a tough, in your face, game. Seahawks got beat. Not impressed with Jags fan throwing beer at the ejected player.

Fortunately Eagles found a way to win even with losing Wentz. So Hawks control their fate. Unfortunately, when they got o play Dallas is the week that the Cowgirls get Elliot back.

If Carroll doesn't get the ship righted, and I mean now, the Hawks could miss the playoffs for the first time in 6 or 7  seven years.

I am curious to see if the league suspends Bennett, Richardson or more likely, Jefferson get tagged with a suspension.

WL

12 hours ago, White Lightnin' said:

Bennett should get benched by Pete Carroll or the league should suspend him.

Both, IMO.  Rolling into a guy's knees isn't a "play", it's an overt attempt to injure.  And for no reason (game was effectively over).

"Man of the year" my ass.  Bennett is a jerk, and they should lower the boom on him for this.

(but they won't)

19 minutes ago, White Lightnin' said:

Plus Army won!

WL

Yeah...........I was pulling for Navy..........(quietly since one of our sons is ex doggie). The outcome matches the rest of my football year though!! :(

Sometimes the leagues statements after these things are frigging hilarious............(okay, almost always).....

But the league also confirmed that the Jaguars have a responsibility to ensure that there’s adequate security around the field, and that the NFL will investigate how multiple Jaguars fans were able to throw things at Seahawks players.

https://sports.yahoo.com/nfl-investigating-seahawks-actions-jaguars-164610235.html

So the league is suggesting that fans throwing things at players/teams entering or leaving the field through the tunnels is new or something they didn't know about? Fans throwing things? Shocked, I'm shocked I say!! There isn't hardly a stadium in the US that isn't configured such that "fans" can throw things at the teams coming or going. I suppose they could station more security around the tunnels to prevent/catch those idiots but short of that I'm not sure what more they could do. Covers over the tunnel entrances extending well past the stands? 

It would be great if they could ID the idiots from this episode though. I think a lifetime ban ban from NFL stadiums would be appropriate for such behavior...although I have no idea how they would enforce that. If someone else bought your tickets you could still get in.

1 hour ago, Innocent Bystander said:

They put the emphasis of "fan" in "fanatic".

NE historically has a tough time down in Miami... no idea why.     Seems like they change their playbook for these late-season games against the Dolphins and it rarely works.    Plus Brady was off on a lot of passes last night....  Miami's defense was stifling, hopefully they can maintain this intensity next year and get some offense back !

21 hours ago, Point Break said:

Yeah...........I was pulling for Navy..........(quietly since one of our sons is ex doggie). The outcome matches the rest of my football year though!! :(

Quietly, Army got good.  They're 9-3.  Navy is no slouch - they're about a half dozen injuries and 12 points from having 9 wins as well. Looking forward to seeing some of these kids play in the National Football... oh, wait.  It was actually a good football game this year, even if both teams could have been coached by Walter Camp and Amos Alonzo Stagg.

After my Giants' lost season, it was great to watch a game where I didn't have to keep facepalming.  Please, Mr. Goodell, make it stop. 

The Dolphins always have that one game per season to remind their fans of what could have been.  That is out of the way now....  Fun game.  When was the last time the Patriots went 0-for-third down?  

Brady: 7-9 against the Dolphins in Miami.