• Announcements

• Zapata

Abbreviated rules   07/28/2017

Underdawg did an excellent job of explaining the rules.  Here's the simplified version: Don't insinuate Pedo.  Warning and or timeout for a first offense.  PermaFlick for any subsequent offenses Don't out members.  See above for penalties.  Caveat:  if you have ever used your own real name or personal information here on the forums since, like, ever - it doesn't count and you are fair game. If you see spam posts, report it to the mods.  We do not hang out in every thread 24/7 If you see any of the above, report it to the mods by hitting the Report button in the offending post.   We do not take action for foul language, off-subject content, or abusive behavior unless it escalates to persistent stalking.  There may be times that we might warn someone or flick someone for something particularly egregious.  There is no standard, we will know it when we see it.  If you continually report things that do not fall into rules #1 or 2 above, you may very well get a timeout yourself for annoying the Mods with repeated whining.  Use your best judgement. Warnings, timeouts, suspensions and flicks are arbitrary and capricious.  Deal with it.  Welcome to anarchy.   If you are a newbie, there are unwritten rules to adhere to.  They will be explained to you soon enough.  
DtM

VOR 2019-2020

33 posts in this topic

Can we please have discussion about the next race in this thread and leave the 2017-2018 thread for that race.

The V70's were faster.

... and RS !  Yes

There is deck probably up to about the mast.  So some indication, but technically, no foredeck. And indeed, a very interesting curvaceous design. One would assume it is the latest thoughts on controlling green water over the deck. It looks almost like an inverse of the reverse camber deck seen on a lot of the latest IMOCA 60s. Maybe they can run control lines under the curved up parts, which might make the deck a bit more human friendly than square edged conduits. 

2 hours ago, Francis Vaughan said:

There is deck probably up to about the mast.  So some indication, but technically, no foredeck. And indeed, a very interesting curvaceous design. One would assume it is the latest thoughts on controlling green water over the deck. It looks almost like an inverse of the reverse camber deck seen on a lot of the latest IMOCA 60s. Maybe they can run control lines under the curved up parts, which might make the deck a bit more human friendly than square edged conduits. 

With these large beamy plaining boats, they're supposed to be heeled over 20-30 degrees, the design makes the leeward side much safer to work on because it is actually leveling when the boat is heeled over. Also helps create headroom/volume where you want it. 

Indeed, good point.  Probably a lot of feedback from both VO60 sailors and new IMOCA-60 sailors about that.

What's the timeline for these boats? Will the info come out in dribbles while the upcoming race goes on? Or is there some clear date or dates that they will unveil the details?

20 hours ago, Francis Vaughan said:

That's my fixed idea about the future design of VOR's, Shelters for the crew in case of heavy seas rolling of the deck.
For my sake retractable not to desturb aerodynamics in case of light weather.

And I agree about the lines under deck...

2 hours ago, schakel488 said:

That's my fixed idea about the future design of VOR's, Shelters for the crew in case of heavy seas rolling of the deck.
For my sake retractable not to desturb aerodynamics in case of light weather.

Dead right there schakmeister..then again the snatches have to watch out for the hatches..(flame suit employed)

Given the AC's announcement it seems Verdier's foiling mono's will be ruling the waves for a while.

Well in case of employment or deployment the crew really really really have to watch out.
These shelters are one of my engineerings ideas.
Does anyone wants to bet about the man over board procedures in the upcoming VOR?
And I know they have lifelines  and safety buoyancy devices.
Safety first...

22 minutes ago, southerncross said:

Given the AC's announcement it seems Verdier's foiling mono's will be ruling the waves for a while.

I Know,

Good for Verdier. 

18 minutes ago, schakel488 said:

Well in case of employment or deployment the crew really really really have to watch out.
These shelters are one of my engineerings ideas.
Does anyone wants to bet about the man over board procedures in the upcoming VOR?
And I know they have lifelines  and safety buoyancy devices.
Safety first...

Retractable shelters have been on the IMOCA 60s since at least 2008. What do you mean about the MOB procedures, can you elucidate?

On 9/9/2017 at 7:52 AM, Francis Vaughan said:

Nope. It's just about getting VCG down.

I had rather not. 
Safety files are confidential.
But I am not looking forward to the coming VOR for safety reasons.
The racing on the other hand will be great.

SO you ask if anyone wants to bet about MOB procedures, and then follow it up by saying safety files are confidential.  WTF?

Also, why should the coming VOR be any more dangerous than the previous one? Sailors now have to be actually qualified, the safety training is well done, the coverage from shore is like never before. 

6 minutes ago, Potter said:

SO you ask if anyone wants to bet about MOB procedures, and then follow it up by saying safety files are confidential.  WTF?

Also, why should the coming VOR be any more dangerous than the previous one? Sailors now have to be actually qualified, the safety training is well done, the coverage from shore is like never before. 

I'm struggling to understand him too. Not sure what's diff about this edition that'll make the 65 more dangerous. It's interesting getting criticism from some saying the 65 are too robust and are a bus. Then others say it's too unsafe. 

Don't think there's much the 65s are worse than prior boats at. Except maybe DNF a leg because the boat's structural limits the crews ability to drive them hard. If I had to nikpick something it'll be the habit of helm not being clipped in and getting hit by a large one really instantly knocks you to the rear of the lifelines. But they're probably as speced to keep you on board. Just painful. 

So the only things that I could think of is that if the shelter is badly designed, it will limit visibility to such a degree that you wouldn't notice if someone falls overboard and would make it harder for the helmsman to see the person swimming in the ocean. Also it could work as a "kicker" if you get huge flooding on deck. 

Schakel used to post a lot of unintelligible rubbish last time around.  Just ignore.

2 hours ago, DtM said:

Schakel used to post a lot of unintelligible rubbish last time around.  Just ignore.

This

The idiot has returned. 

Schakel's posts are indeed unintelligable, however they are being used as opportunity by the "connected" ones, e.g. Potter, Miffy, etc. to promote their own agendas which by now are boringly predictable. Maybe these guys can resist the temptation?

4 hours ago, staysail said:

Schakel's posts are indeed unintelligable, however they are being used as opportunity by the "connected" ones, e.g. Potter, Miffy, etc. to promote their own agendas which by now are boringly predictable. Maybe these guys can resist the temptation?

I don't think anybody can accuse Potter with 'promoting his own agenda' 

He's well connected and posts up good information.

Miffy? Not so sure, haven't seen him/her that much.  

1 hour ago, mad said:

I don't think anybody can accuse Potter with 'promoting his own agenda' 

He's well connected and posts up good information.

Miffy? Not so sure, haven't seen him/her that much.  

Agree that Potter usually posts good information; Miffy doesn't but is prolific and always the same message. Why do they bother to respond to Shakel?

My mistake... I had forgotten.... I should know better, feeding will now be stopped!

Guys guys guys,

The VOR hasn't even started and the shit fight already started.
I apologize for the Scallywag, WOXI, Perpentual Loyal thread I opened during the last S2H.
But that's it.

@ Mad, Waar was jij tijdens de laatste clubborrel? (yachting club off course)

How the heck are they going to make foils strong enough to last a whole ocean leg? With FIVE trim tabs!? Don't bother arguing that the IMOCA 60 boards lasted because Alex Thompson broke his, and Armel L'clèach said he was only using the boards when he needed to, no clue how he managed that, but that's what he said 

So, the VOR 19/20 and the AC 2021 may have rougly the same boat? A Foiling Mono.

I think it will be interesting, but I don't think the boats will be "roughly the same".

8 hours ago, nroose said:

I think it will be interesting, but I don't think the boats will be "roughly the same".

Are modified foilerprofiles permitted?
Just like the winning armel l'cleach, In the last Vendee Globe.
armel-le-cleac-h-sur-son-foil-le-team-ba

img-170915145250-0001.pdf