• Announcements

• Zapata

Abbreviated rules   07/28/2017

Underdawg did an excellent job of explaining the rules.  Here's the simplified version: Don't insinuate Pedo.  Warning and or timeout for a first offense.  PermaFlick for any subsequent offenses Don't out members.  See above for penalties.  Caveat:  if you have ever used your own real name or personal information here on the forums since, like, ever - it doesn't count and you are fair game. If you see spam posts, report it to the mods.  We do not hang out in every thread 24/7 If you see any of the above, report it to the mods by hitting the Report button in the offending post.   We do not take action for foul language, off-subject content, or abusive behavior unless it escalates to persistent stalking.  There may be times that we might warn someone or flick someone for something particularly egregious.  There is no standard, we will know it when we see it.  If you continually report things that do not fall into rules #1 or 2 above, you may very well get a timeout yourself for annoying the Mods with repeated whining.  Use your best judgement. Warnings, timeouts, suspensions and flicks are arbitrary and capricious.  Deal with it.  Welcome to anarchy.   If you are a newbie, there are unwritten rules to adhere to.  They will be explained to you soon enough.  

I'm a beginner , looking for a cheap boat for my family ,2 young girls and my wife , I'm 6'3 ,

300 lbs ,  the two boats I have in mind are the Nordica16 or the Wayfarer...it would be used in Lake Ontario or lake Earie...also in small northern lakes ..for day trips , a safe but fun boat is what I'm after for around 1,000...any thoughts ....

Fine boats to learn on.

I learned on the Wayfarer[ CL16 same design in FG] and it will be the faster of the two. Wayfarers have done long voyages and sea crossings. It is a stable and forgiving boat. You can carry enough gear to camp on shore. Boom is high enough for kids. A little wet in waves but not bad with the deck edge overhanging a bit. Enough freeboard to feel safe. It can tip over but good stability none the less. An Albacore or Lightning would be sportier and are fine boats.

The Nordica will not capsize with it's ballast of course. The cabin is suitable for kids or on shore camping gear. You may need the outboard more with this boat in light wind conditions. One has tried the R2AK, but the comparable Monty's have completed the race several times now. A comparable style would be the Com Pac 16 if you prefer that style. The Sage is a new build, similar in style, if you want to see ideas on furling and finishes.

Consider boats for a little more money if they have newer sails, newer trailer tires or fresh rigging to save buying new gear.

Albacore over the lightning. the latter is heavy and harder to recover from a capsize. Albacore (Uffa Fox) and Wayfarer (Ian Proctor) are reasonable boats that are also rescuable without a lot of trouble. On the other hand, if you want all 4 to sail with you, get a Flying Scot.

I like the Wayfarer. Always wanted to sail one to see what it was like. Finally got my chance in 18 to 25 a few years ago. Great fun. Really handles well. (Proctor knew what he was doing....). It isn't my 505 but it isn't supposed to be either.

9 hours ago, fastyacht said:

Albacore over the lightning. the latter is heavy and harder to recover from a capsize. Albacore (Uffa Fox) and Wayfarer (Ian Proctor) are reasonable boats that are also rescuable without a lot of trouble. On the other hand, if you want all 4 to sail with you, get a Flying Scot.

I like the Wayfarer. Always wanted to sail one to see what it was like. Finally got my chance in 18 to 25 a few years ago. Great fun. Really handles well. (Proctor knew what he was doing....). It isn't my 505 but it isn't supposed to be either.

I'm gonna respectfully disagree.  Had an Albacore--after sailing another heavy oldie daysailer from a bygone age.  However, I also sailed some older wooden Lightnings.  Ya wanna learn to sail, take the fam out safely and comfortably---Lightning hands down.  We had the family in the Albacore, but it was never as roomy or as secure feeling.  Sure, a bit more responsive, especially when only a couple peeps are aboard but it's an 'active' boat, you work it, you dum-diddle relax for the afternoon.   Lightning has plenty of performance for a beginner.  Heck, a Flying Scot would be better still.  Lot's of them around back east I bet...

Edit: Just FINISHED reading the post I was quoting.  Yup, Flying Scot. (didn't see that part until just now...)  I think it's bedtime....

+1 on bumping budget, 1k for a boat with decent trailer (good tires, etc) and gear is pretty thin, I would allow more like 2-2.5k, more if you want a really nice boat.

See if you can find a convenient sailing club that has several older and tough simple boats. Like Cal 20s or similar. Usually a small membership fee and a few hours of maintenance per year will be your contribution. You will then meet others. You will learn. You can try different boats. You can then focus on the fun of sailing rather than the ego and costs of owning. Fees are often on the order of a couple hundred bucks per year.

Get addicted, the rest happens naturally.