• Announcements

• Zapata

Abbreviated rules   07/28/2017

Underdawg did an excellent job of explaining the rules.  Here's the simplified version: Don't insinuate Pedo.  Warning and or timeout for a first offense.  PermaFlick for any subsequent offenses Don't out members.  See above for penalties.  Caveat:  if you have ever used your own real name or personal information here on the forums since, like, ever - it doesn't count and you are fair game. If you see spam posts, report it to the mods.  We do not hang out in every thread 24/7 If you see any of the above, report it to the mods by hitting the Report button in the offending post.   We do not take action for foul language, off-subject content, or abusive behavior unless it escalates to persistent stalking.  There may be times that we might warn someone or flick someone for something particularly egregious.  There is no standard, we will know it when we see it.  If you continually report things that do not fall into rules #1 or 2 above, you may very well get a timeout yourself for annoying the Mods with repeated whining.  Use your best judgement. Warnings, timeouts, suspensions and flicks are arbitrary and capricious.  Deal with it.  Welcome to anarchy.   If you are a newbie, there are unwritten rules to adhere to.  They will be explained to you soon enough.  
Student_Driver

Magregor 26's big brother at 17KTs

Out cruising a couple of weeks ago there was a power cruiser on its way back from Princess Louisa that had to have the most inefficient hull form ever.  It was maybe doing 12 knots, and there was a vertical cascade of water at least 10' high and 3-4' in diameter in front of the bow.  The wake looked like a BC Ferry.  Some designers should not be allowed to design.

This looks much better by comparison, but I wonder if they have to pay for damage from that wake....

I want to hate it, but for some reason, I can't.  I'd take it if someone were to give it to me AND pay all the expenses involved in owning something like that.

Interesting about the folding keel/centerboard. Somehow the keel bulb tucks into the hull. Wondering how that works. Does the bulb have a pivot?

Also really investing that the mast telescopes.

It was designed by the owner's son. The mast telescopes to fit under the bridges on the East River in NYC.

Cruising speeds in excess of 20 knots under power have been achieved from the yacht's clean-lined underbody, moderately light displacement and twin diesels totaling 7000 bhp.

:o:blink:

On 8/6/2017 at 7:19 AM, Bill E Goat said:

"The hull form, developed by Pedrick Yacht Designs, resembles a high-performance sailing dinghy, scaled-up to 268 tons lightship"...JFC, they must have HWSNBN on the propaganda staff. Suprised there was no mention of the fourth mode. Hard to read that with a straight face.

7 hours ago, barleymalt said:

"The hull form, developed by Pedrick Yacht Designs, resembles a high-performance sailing dinghy, scaled-up to 268 tons lightship"...JFC, they must have HWSNBN on the propaganda staff. Suprised there was no mention of the fourth mode. Hard to read that with a straight face.

No, truth! It's basically an i550 ... with 15,000 gallons of tankage. 

Those spreaders seem rather excessive.  At first glance I thought 'DynaRig.'

Im kinda digging this boat.  lol.   I guess my standards are slipping.   Bwahahaha

12 hours ago, Cal20sailor said:

If you have to ask.....

Naw, don't worry. I got this.  Hold my beer...

On August 6, 2017 at 5:28 PM, sailronin said:

It was designed by the owner's son. The mast telescopes to fit under the bridges on the East River in NYC.

Pedrick and the yard and others did the engineering, owners son is an architect who also did the superstructure and interior on the original Mitseaah (S&S/ Derecktor 114' MY)

owner owns (or at least used to own) the Getty Oil gas stations on the east coast

On 2017-08-07 at 4:13 PM, Wess said:

I'll take it. How much?

Your next years gross income might be enough to gas it up.

Hull speed of that boat is somewhere close to 16 or 17 knots. 

It planes, has drop down flaps at the stern to allow this, like giant trim tabs on an outboard runabout.

On ‎8‎/‎6‎/‎2017 at 11:28 AM, sailronin said:

Like a lot of others, I want to hate it, but really can't bring myself to. 

Can anyone explain how this telescoping mast works?

The "topmast" extends above the hounds for the mainsail.  The boat becomes about a 7/8 fractional rig.

I've long said that that is the ugliest boat in the world. We got waked by 'em once on a GB62. It was a 16' wall of water. No joke. 

My 2-yr old son and I go down to Newport Shipyard every day, I've been teaching him terms like "crane" and "forklift" and "powerboat" and "sailboat". I asked him if Mitseeah is a powerboat or a sailboat.

He said "sailboat"!

I said, "you'd think that, but, no, it's a powerboat". 

If you think that's the ugliest boat, you haven't seen sailing yacht "A".  Mitseeah isn't even in the top 3, maybe the top 10.

I actually would consider going top Bermuda on that.

Under power

On 8/7/2017 at 2:25 PM, KC375 said:

I like the tender

1-131853l-960x540.jpg

Why, for fuck's sake, did they put the tender in the swimming pool?

I have to wonder whether or not the clew of either headsail could reach that tender when luffing or tacking...  You could beat the hell out of that tender in a hurry that way.

On ‎09‎/‎08‎/‎2017 at 6:59 PM, CrushDigital said:

Like a lot of others, I want to hate it, but really can't bring myself to. 

Can anyone explain how this telescoping mast works?

The top mast slides inside the main mast, so it could pass under NY bridges. It had the largest Leisurefurl boom made to date, when it was built. I think the boat could do 23+ knots (I was on seatrials). It could have been faster if the topmast was lowered except when sailing, but it would have looked weirder. Add all the features the boat had together and it felt like impressive engineering, but styling was not copied ('nuf said).

2 hours ago, casc27 said:

usual bowmans input.........all inflatables/ tenders have a date with a swimming pool

2009 Newport Bucket Regatta

MITSEEAH was invited to start the race under full power with 7000 horsepower thundering, cross the line at 20+ knots, then execute a high speed 360 degree turn and roar off to the windward mark, where she re-converted to a sailing yacht, shut down the power and got into the race!  Her start was truly a sight to behold!

0001.jpg

0001.jpg

Used to dock in Port Washington at Brewers during the summers.

I've seen it under sail in typical LI Sound winds.

It doesn't move for shit.  It put a huge spinnaker up once, sailed for 15 minutes, and took it down.

When it starts its diesels, it literally covers the entire shore condominiums in smog.

On 8/11/2017 at 10:15 AM, weinie said:

Used to dock in Port Washington at Brewers during the summers.

I've seen it under sail in typical LI Sound winds.

It doesn't move for shit.  It put a huge spinnaker up once, sailed for 15 minutes, and took it down.

When it starts its diesels, it literally covers the entire shore condominiums in smog.

Does anything sail in typical LI sound winds?

So the two furlers are a foot apart so that when they do a circumnavigation they can pole out both foresails for DDW sailing in the trades, right?

I dont understand how boats with such close forestays tack the outer jib.

24 minutes ago, MauiPunter said:

I dont understand how boats with such close forestays tack the outer jib.

Furl, tack, unfurl. 

39 minutes ago, Monkey said:

Furl, tack, unfurl. 

That seems pretty awful.

I've seen smaller boats without the powered furlers have this setup and I cant imagine having to do that nonsense for every tack.   Yikes.

2 hours ago, MauiPunter said:

That seems pretty awful.

I've seen smaller boats without the powered furlers have this setup and I cant imagine having to do that nonsense for every tack.   Yikes.

Watch the video of Commanche approaching the finish line of the Transpac. Furl, gybe, unfurl all in 15 seconds.  Pretty common on large boats.

We put 3 or 4 guys hand lining the furler on a 54'er and roll it pretty damn fast without any fancy hardware.  Try it, you'll be surprised.

5 hours ago, TheDragon said:

So the two furlers are a foot apart so that when they do a circumnavigation they can pole out both foresails for DDW sailing in the trades, right?

It's most likely for a big #1 jib on the outer one and a working jib (#3 probably) on the inside one. If it's light air and they need the extra (sail) power, furling and unfurling is way easier than having to use a single forestay and swap gigantic headsails with limited crew. 

1 hour ago, sailronin said:

Watch the video of Commanche approaching the finish line of the Transpac. Furl, gybe, unfurl all in 15 seconds.  Pretty common on large boats.

hell, i do that with my code 0 and spinnaker w/ top down furlers on a 34 footer.

On 8/10/2017 at 2:42 PM, casc27 said:

So it could float?

Talk about an ostentatious fuel guzzling step in the wrong direction for the times.

Nice lines though.