RobbieB

Laser Performance Supplying New Boats with Contraband Parts?

At a District Laser event this past weekend.  Talking to the District Secretary about sails.  A guy from out of town has shown up with LP's non-class legal "Practice Sail".

He looks down at the District Secretaries boat bought new in 2016 from a dealer and says, "Oh, my practice sail is the same as yours."  Turns out the new boat was supplied with a non-class legal practice sail.

Talked to the area dealer who sold the boat.  He had no idea and then pulled out a Sunfish sail he was about to deliver to a customer for the regatta.  He ordered a class legal race sail, but got a non-class legal practice sail and the class legal sail price, (at least we think that was the deal as it didn't have a class "button").

Has LP screwed suppliers so badly they will not ship to LP anymore?  If so, is LP slipping contraband items under the table as "class legal" to fill orders?

If that's the case isn't it illegal?  Sure seems like fraud to me.  Any lawyers out there want to chime in on this?

#1)  You're an idiot.  Lawyers?  

#2) LaserPerformance doesn't have any money.    This is the be all/end all of the entire conversations.
They can't afford the basics.  There are dealers that haven't been able to buy class legal parts all summer long.  
Vangs, Gudgeons, Autobailers.... you name it.  LP can not afford to buy and stock them, so no one has any.

#3)  Lawyers, really?

• Downvote 1

Full disclosure - I have two close family members who are lawyers. Only joking kiddos.

TM - We started a trend.  A whole new way to communicate on SA.  Through videos, LOL!

I got nothing for this however.  Its too complicated!

3 hours ago, RobbieB said:

At a District Laser event this past weekend.  Talking to the District Secretary about sails.  A guy from out of town has shown up with LP's non-class legal "Practice Sail".

He looks down at the District Secretaries boat bought new in 2016 from a dealer and says, "Oh, my practice sail is the same as yours."  Turns out the new boat was supplied with a non-class legal practice sail.

Talked to the area dealer who sold the boat.  He had no idea and then pulled out a Sunfish sail he was about to deliver to a customer for the regatta.  He ordered a class legal race sail, but got a non-class legal practice sail and the class legal sail price, (at least we think that was the deal as it didn't have a class "button").

I am shocked, shocked to hear that LP would do such a thing.

Ok.  Apparently this is old news.  Well, I'm old too so I guess it fits then.  Moving on....What a sham or shame depending on where you sit...

15 minutes ago, burnt chef said:

Got no dog in the laser fight, but I sure do enjoy the video links!

Eric

Well it took me one phone call to find a dealer with a new 100% class legal Laser for sale equipped with class legal Mark II sail.  At a price I still think is a great deal for such a fun and accessible class.

So it feels like I been here before...

And yea, I get that there must be some issues w LP because Sunfish was even more a problem than Laser last year, but I liked this song so needed a deja vu theme...

10 hours ago, Wess said:

Well it took me one phone call to find a dealer with a new 100% class legal Laser for sale equipped with class legal Mark II sail.  At a price I still think is a great deal for such a fun and accessible class.

So it feels like I been here before...

And yea, I get that there must be some issues w LP because Sunfish was even more a problem than Laser last year, but I liked this song so needed a deja vu theme...

Nice, with a jazzy twist. 

Yeah. Popular music from back when Lasers were the new exciting toy.

just image  how Lasers wouid have gone over in 1972 if the music on the salesmen's radios were just thirty years old .... or twenty years newer than the out of date crap you guys are using to drive away the potential youth  sailors 

8 hours ago, Gouvernail said:

just image  how Lasers wouid have gone over in 1972 if the music on the salesmen's radios were just thirty years old .... or twenty years newer than the out of date crap you guys are using to drive away the potential youth  sailors 

On August 19, Hempstead Harbor Club on Long Island will be hosting the Ward Bell Memorial Regatta. Ward Bell bought the first production Laser #102 and rest is history.  I had the pleasure of meeting Ward at a Laser regatta at HHC many years ago.

I have no idea how old Ward Bell was in 1972 but I did find a reference to him racing Star boats in the early 1940s, so I think he would probably have enjoyed Gouvernail's Glen Miller video.

This year for the first time the Ward Bell Memorial Regatta is open to RS Aeros as well as Lasers.

So let's see, what music were people listening to in 1972...

14 hours ago, View from the back said:

All this Laser stuff aside, wow, some great videos from CSNY and Neil Young.  Needle and the Damage Done is probably his best!

Tonight's the night I am going racing again!

Yeah. Popular music from back when Lasers were the new exciting toy.

So now you know what youth sailors want and somehow Laser sailors enjoying their Lasers are driving them all away, LOL?  Seriously?!  :lol:

I think your music selections are driving them away Gouv!  :P

32 minutes ago, Wess said:

So now you know what youth sailors want and somehow Laser sailors enjoying their Lasers are driving them all away, LOL?  Seriously?!  :lol:

I think your music selections are driving them away Gouv!  :P

I think most of us on SA are old farts.

Kids are not wasting their time arguing about stuff like the minutiae of Laser Masters rig-swapping rules on some clunky old forum.

I still have my "Cheat the Nursing Home. Die on your Laser" sticker on my car. Thanks Gouv.

Hope I die before I get old...

Hey!!!  Don't be quoting me and lumping me into your and Gouv's GGM (?) category. I am only a GM.  So much younger, hip (not yet replaced), and cooler.  :D

You old GGM folks are walking (with your Aeros) a...

Yea, I know I left myself wide open to another Green Day response...

We shouldn't get too worked up about finding young Laser sailors. The bright side of all of this LP shortage is that even the elitist are seeing that it's time to let go of the OEM rules and let guys race the $1500 Craigslist Lasers. We have already gone way outside the rules at our club and allowed clone boats. Let the Laser class be the step up from a Sunfish that it was originally intended to be. We even have one guy racing a Zuma hull with a Laser rig.

Tillerman.... if you buy another car send me an address and I will send a replacement sticker. 

23 minutes ago, Gouvernail said:

Tillerman.... if you buy another car send me an address and I will send a replacement sticker. 

Thanks.

1 hour ago, Wess said:

Those are great bumper stickers.

Lura pensionärshemmet, dö i din Laser.

Best ever. Never been beat before or since.

Saw one other long ago that I really liked but don't know its source...

Twas the Descartes proposition "I think therefore I am," spun into "I Laser therefore I am" and translated into Latin.  These were the days before smart phones and google and being a hick from the sticks I had to ask the owner of the car what the heck it meant.  Little pic of a french dude in a Laser on it too if I recall.

Damn.  It just hit me.  THIS is why sailing is dying and the kids are leaving.

No more cool bumper stickers...

Somebody should write about that on a blog or something.

1 hour ago, Wess said:

Twas the Descartes proposition "I think therefore I am," spun into "I Laser therefore I am" and translated into Latin.  These were the days before smart phones and google and being a hick from the sticks I had to ask the owner of the car what the heck it meant.  Little pic of a french dude in a Laser on it too if I recall.

There was a guy who ran the NA office. He started 18 years ago and three years later he stopped for some reason. A whole lot of great bumper stickers came from the office in those three years:

Cheat the Nursing Home

Die on your Laser

Laser: No Timeouts No Substitutions

Do it on a Laser

i've done it on a Laser

Laser sailors  refuse to participate in the recession 

My Laser is smarter than your honor student 

all my money goes to my Laser

my other vehicle is a Laser

Laser Giris Kick Ass

Sail it like you stole it...

Escape on your Laser

Laser sailors get blown offshore

Laser sailing is fun

Hook up on a Laser Two

Radials Rule

Sail A Laser

Sail a laser

ask me how 

I can Slam Dunk ...

at Laser speed 

Laser Sailors need a keelboat like a fish needs a  bicycle

i brake for Laser Regattas

warning Laser Driver 

i turn for windshifts

Follow me to a Laser Regatta

How's my Sailing?

1-800- Laser 

if you can read this

my Laser trailer  came unhooked 

I ( heart) Lasers 

was issued both with the heart and with the word 

Survive Y2K on a Laser

and the plain simple:'

Laser 

and 

Laser>>

Some were issued for years and others had only 1,000 made and most were passed out at one of the 25 regattas he attended each year. 

each one had "join the NA Laser Class"

the first set of Cheat the Nursing home had http://wee.Laser@laser.org because that was the email server list 

The Class office also stocked and sold Cheat the nursing home t shirts and lots of sweatshirts and twill shirts with the class emblem 

the office also sold past Laser Sailor issues,  posters, training videos, six different books, and Laser logo trophies 

That was all stopped on August 1, 2002

The class grew from under 1700

members in September  1999 to 3106 members on August 1 and to 3145 by mid August  completeing 36 consecutive months of growth. Then the office was closed until mid October. For the first time in 12 years no fall newsletter was published and over 2000 members failed to renew for 2003-4.

The membership numbers have never again approached 2002 levels 

i couid blame the lack of fun bumper stickers 

or the failure of class officers to pass out bumper stickers at over two dozen events per year. 

Instead I blame the lame old music

4 hours ago, Wess said:

There was a guy who used to write a blog that was mainly about Laser sailing.

He started twelve years ago and then stopped at the end of last year for some reason.

He wrote at least three posts about bumper stickers.

Bumper Stickers

Live Sail Fish

Lura pensionärshemmet, dö i din Laser

That all stopped on Dec 31 2016.

I could blame the lack of ideas for more posts about cool bumper stickers.

I could blame the RS Aero.

Instead I blame the lame old music.

Gouv,   If you still have any "Cheat the nursing home...." stickers, I'd love one!   My old Landcruiser has a "LASER" plate, and the sticker would go good.     My email address is eyeper@sbcglobal.net so we can do this off the forum (which is now featuring a lot of good music!)   - Dennis

11 hours ago, Legion of Modernrate Jack said:

rocking downwind on my Laser

So we don't know who did the Decartes one or "Radial Girls Rock"?

Those are some...

But it seems the young folks like it too!

1 hour ago, Legion of Modernrate Jack said:

Sums up the grey power Laser demographic well.

What's going on?

Music by geriatric rockers and dead folk singers is driving kids away from Laser sailing?

How do we get the next generation of kids into sailing?

All I can say is that this video is my 3-year-old grandson's absolutely favorite sailing video - and also his favorite song. He knows all the words.

But his pre-school teachers are getting a bit perturbed when they hear him singing of "cocaine, song and women and wine." I am a bad Granddad.

If you want the next generation to start sailing, you need a device to hold a phone at eye level and some way to text while holding a course.

2 hours ago, tillerman said:

I am a bad Granddad.

U suck!  I remember all that, as I blasted around in my sunfish thinking I was somebody.  lol

Eric

My other boat is a class that was launched in 2014.

Hmmm. I think boats have made more progress than music in the last few decades.

How do we get the next generation of kids into sailing?

you could start by having entry level boats that don't cost $6-7k new

25 minutes ago, Foredeck Shuffle said:

You old farts with old YT posts act like teenage girls with Snapchat.  Worst thread ever, cluttered with shit.

This guys says you ain't the one...

59 minutes ago, Foredeck Shuffle said:

You old farts with old YT posts act like teenage girls with Snapchat.  Worst thread ever, cluttered with shit.

Snapchat? 166 million daily users can't be wrong.

That's even more than the number of people who sail a Laser very day.

4 hours ago, tillerman said:

My other boat is a class that was launched in 2014.

Hmmm. I think boats have made more progress than music in the last few decades.

By Laser sailor sized folks----

Update.  Local dealer bitched to LP and they sent a new class legal MKII sail. No charge and it took them less than a month to get it done.  Maybe there's hope....?