• Announcements

• Zapata

Abbreviated rules   07/28/2017

Underdawg did an excellent job of explaining the rules.  Here's the simplified version: Don't insinuate Pedo.  Warning and or timeout for a first offense.  PermaFlick for any subsequent offenses Don't out members.  See above for penalties.  Caveat:  if you have ever used your own real name or personal information here on the forums since, like, ever - it doesn't count and you are fair game. If you see spam posts, report it to the mods.  We do not hang out in every thread 24/7 If you see any of the above, report it to the mods by hitting the Report button in the offending post.   We do not take action for foul language, off-subject content, or abusive behavior unless it escalates to persistent stalking.  There may be times that we might warn someone or flick someone for something particularly egregious.  There is no standard, we will know it when we see it.  If you continually report things that do not fall into rules #1 or 2 above, you may very well get a timeout yourself for annoying the Mods with repeated whining.  Use your best judgement. Warnings, timeouts, suspensions and flicks are arbitrary and capricious.  Deal with it.  Welcome to anarchy.   If you are a newbie, there are unwritten rules to adhere to.  They will be explained to you soon enough.  
Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
ItsMega

Bought a Megabyte to learn to sail - mistake?

47 posts in this topic

So.. like the title says.  I've sailed a sunfish a few times and figured id have more fun in a more substantial boat.  Tried sailing over the weekend, and it was a DISASTER.  Save for a good PFD you'd all be reading about another sailer w/o a PFD that drown.  Ended up being towed in, sail down, by a powerboat.  Granted, it was a windy (18+ knot) day.  Have I made a huge mistake?  Someone told me that trying to learn to sail in a boat like this is akin to giving your 16yr old son a CBR1000 for his 16th birthday.   Thoughts?

Thanks

E

Go over to Dinghy Anarchy and search "MegaByte". There's a thread with some good info and some contacts that can help you.

Instead of ITSMEGA   how about some megatits

I don't think it was the boat as much as the breeze, try again in under 10 and get comfortable before you work up.

So it was more day than boat from the sounds of it.  I'll give it another shot next weekend.  

Just now, Great Red Shark said:

The CBR 1000 RR analogy MIGHT be apt,  except the throttle works BOTH ways and is controlled by the operator. 

The Megabyte is a great boat,  but it's quite powered-up.  If you don't have some size to you AND know what you are doing,  yeah - you are going to get your ass handed to you in more than a few knots of wind.   I like mine a whole lot,  but it sounds like you might want someone to sail with you until you accumulate some hours-in-type.  While not an "in-accessable" boat like the Moth or an I-14,  the Mega was designed for people that know what they are doing - it's NOT a basic trainer.

The Megabyte is much more comfortable than the Laser and has several design aspects that are a big improvement,  in my opinion - but it is a performance boat - light and a bit fragile, with a LOT of juice for someone not anticipating what's about to happen next.

Don't despair,  and don't feel you need to sell it off,  but you might want to get some further instruction and maybe find someone with some experience for your next sail in breeze.   Heck - I'm pretty good at this sailing thing and the first time I sailed my Mega I went out in light conditions just so I didn't have to do a lot of swimming getting used to it.

2 hours ago, ItsMega said:

So.. like the title says.  I've sailed a sunfish a few times and figured id have more fun in a more substantial boat.  Tried sailing over the weekend, and it was a DISASTER.  Save for a good PFD you'd all be reading about another sailer w/o a PFD that drown.  Ended up being towed in, sail down, by a powerboat.  Granted, it was a windy (18+ knot) day.  Have I made a huge mistake?  Someone told me that trying to learn to sail in a boat like this is akin to giving your 16yr old son a CBR1000 for his 16th birthday.   Thoughts?

Thanks

E

No, I think you're pretty lucky twice over. The Megabyte is an awesome boat and while it has a good bit of power, it's not really a beast.

One thing to do is to practice capsizing in calm conditions. I don't know what went wrong but I'd be willing to bet that things got out of hand and you did not have a solid routine to fall back on. 18 knots is a lot of wind for a beginner in a boat like this but to be honest you could have gotten in just as much trouble with a Sunfish.

You need to watch some of DTA's videos, true he's in a slightly different boat. Check into Dinghy Anarchy though and there will be plenty of good advice.

FB- Doug

5 minutes ago, Steam Flyer said:

No, I think you're pretty lucky twice over. The Megabyte is an awesome boat and while it has a good bit of power, it's not really a beast.

One thing to do is to practice capsizing in calm conditions. I don't know what went wrong but I'd be willing to bet that things got out of hand and you did not have a solid routine to fall back on. 18 knots is a lot of wind for a beginner in a boat like this but to be honest you could have gotten in just as much trouble with a Sunfish.

You need to watch some of DTA's videos, true he's in a slightly different boat. Check into Dinghy Anarchy though and there will be plenty of good advice.

FB- Doug

I got plenty of capsizing practice that day.  I was hanging off of the daggerboard no fewer than 6 or 7 times watching a $2k+ MKII mast slowly rise from the  water.  Without a doubt I don't have the fundamentals down.  I got stuck in a situation, and had NO IDEA how to get out.  I longed for the single cleat that would allow me to drop the Sunfish sail, but there's nothing like that on a MB....  

To Great Red Shark's comment - I weigh 180#, so I have some heft, but am utterly w/o skill yet.

13 minutes ago, ItsMega said:

I got plenty of capsizing practice that day.  I was hanging off of the daggerboard no fewer than 6 or 7 times.  Without a doubt I don't have the fundamentals down.  I got stuck in a situation, and had NO IDEA how to get out.  I longed for the single cleat that would allow me to drop the Sunfish sail, but there's nothing like that on a MB....  

To Great Red Shark's comment - I weigh 180#, so I have some heft, but am utterly w/o skill yet.

No I don't mean repeatedly capsizing   :lol:   :lol:  :blink:

I mean something like this ... Basic Capsize Drill for small 2-hand sloops

One of the problems you'll face is how to get aboard without getting excessively tired heaving up over the gunwhale, and not pulling the boat over on top of yourself. It's easier with a second person to "scoop" but some of the basics are the same. Don't let the boat get away from you! Get the boat & the situation under control, don't just heave it right-side up and hope for the best. Have a practiced method to get aboard. Spend some time working this out in calm conditions, a swimming pool is ideal but not everybody has that option  ;)

Red Shark is probably a great source of advice for the specifics on this, I have only sailed a Megabyte a few times.

FB- Doug

44 minutes ago, K9u20 said:

Megabyte is a great boat. Give it some time and start out in lighter winds. You could also get a smaller mainsail for the heavy air.  One on eBay now

https://www.ebay.com/itm/282599996757 

Is this a smaller mainsail for the Megabyte?  How did you find something like that?  This is perfect!

*EDIT.  Just bought it. 

Thanks

E

You'll get used to it and it will make all your sailing on all size boats better. There is no better teacher than to have the results of sail trim and hull trim thrown in your face constantly.

My first day of owning a Laser was blowing over 20. I had minimal dingy experience but lots of time in keelboats. I started off going upwind and quickly learned hiking and trimming and basic boat control. When it became time to turn around I thought--coming from sedate keelboats--that now it got easier. One-half second later and <WHOMP!> Huh!! That was intense! Right the boat, reach off, turn downwind and <WHOMP!> Jeeze! What's the deal here?! Rinse and repeat countless times until, exhausted, I pulled the Laser up to a dock, found a pay phone, and called my dad to drive around and pick me (and the boat) up.

Fast-forward a few month and I had become my area's heavy weather Laser hero. So I plopped the boat on top of my car and drove up to San Francisco for a winter regatta because there weren't many Lasers in SoCal at the time. 25+ knots. I held my own upwind and then got my ass handed to me in a smokin' ebb chop! The daggerboard and rudder would start singing that song and I thought, "This is great!" until I punched through the wave in front with such force that it knocked me clear off the back of the boat. Several times! I ended up tying the sheet around my waist so the boat wouldn't continue planing away because I was getting pretty damn tired swimming after it. But, hey! I drove all the way up here; may as well finish the race, right?

By the time I crossed in front of St Francis and got a horn, there were no boats left on the water. As I'm pulling my boat onto the dolly, several guys came by and said, "Good work! You got 2nd!" Like the I Ching says: Perseverance furthers.

Go sailing with someone else who has a basic or fundamental understanding of a moderate to high performance dinghy.  A laser sailor would work well. Space enough for two of you.

Please do not bail from this boat.  You will likely not find a better pedigree of single hander.

Yeah, big mistake.

Not the megabyte, sailing. Learning to sail will be your downfall. You'll lose interest in cars and golf. You'll alienate your friends who correctly discern that you're becoming an elitist. You'll sneak out of work on Friday afternoons, compromising your career. You'll squander intellectual capital on the benefits of aramids, the details of the drag bucket and the implications of Reynolds' numbers. You'll get mired in the muck of the alphabet: I, E, P, J, PHRF, IOR, MORC, ISAF, NOR, SI, DWL, LOA, RM1 and many, many more. You'll jeopardize your kids' college funds in exchange for yacht club dues, slip fees, bottom jobs and the odd sailing vacation. Your relationships will suffer as you learn that if she can't stand up in it, she won't lay down in it.  Your soul will be sucked dry as you try to explain to others that while it's true you spent the weekend cold, wet, sore and exhausted confined in a space no larger than a tent, that the independence of it all was really worthwhile - more so when they point out that's what the homeless say, too.

Yeah, big mistake.

I recommend you track down that genius who saved his life by selling you the megabyte and just give it back. Let them keep the cash. Get out while you can. Escape into opiates - at least they have 12-step programs.

4 hours ago, Moonduster said:

Yeah, big mistake.

Not the megabyte, sailing. Learning to sail will be your downfall. You'll lose interest in cars and golf. You'll alienate your friends who correctly discern that you're becoming an elitist. You'll sneak out of work on Friday afternoons, compromising your career. You'll squander intellectual capital on the benefits of aramids, the details of the drag bucket and the implications of Reynolds' numbers. You'll get mired in the muck of the alphabet: I, E, P, J, PHRF, IOR, MORC, ISAF, NOR, SI, DWL, LOA, RM1 and many, many more. You'll jeopardize your kids' college funds in exchange for yacht club dues, slip fees, bottom jobs and the odd sailing vacation. Your relationships will suffer as you learn that if she can't stand up in it, she won't lay down in it.  Your soul will be sucked dry as you try to explain to others that while it's true you spent the weekend cold, wet, sore and exhausted confined in a space no larger than a tent, that the independence of it all was really worthwhile - more so when they point out that's what the homeless say, too.

Yeah, big mistake.

I recommend you track down that genius who saved his life by selling you the megabyte and just give it back. Let them keep the cash. Get out while you can. Escape into opiates - at least they have 12-step programs.

Beautiful and true. Sailing is just too much trouble. 

Also true of women, children, education, skiing, and golf. 

19 minutes ago, Moonduster said:

Wow ... some people just don't get sarcasm at all ...

How true.

12 hours ago, ItsMega said:

I got plenty of capsizing practice that day.  I was hanging off of the daggerboard no fewer than 6 or 7 times watching a $2k+ MKII mast slowly rise from the  water.  Without a doubt I don't have the fundamentals down.  I got stuck in a situation, and had NO IDEA how to get out.  I longed for the single cleat that would allow me to drop the Sunfish sail, but there's nothing like that on a MB....  

I'll be sailing in central Mass this weekend. Where are you sailing? Our club sailing instructor is looking at buying either an Aero, Megabyte or another Laser, so I'm sure he would be willing to show you how to trim the sail for high winds. We race on Sundays.

This Sunday was a pretty gusty day and the big boats at our club didn't even race because the gusts were over 25 mph. Everything was weird that day, I even passed a 29er with a Sunfish. 

43 minutes ago, Eddie_E said:

I'll be sailing in central Mass this weekend. Where are you sailing? Our club sailing instructor is looking at buying either an Aero, Megabyte or another Laser, so I'm sure he would be willing to show you how to trim the sail for high winds. We race on Sundays.

This Sunday was a pretty gusty day and the big boats at our club didn't even race because the gusts were over 25 mph. Everything was weird that day, I even passed a 29er with a Sunfish. 

Hey Eddie_E

I actually live in Central MA, but sail in NH.  We have a house on a lake up there, so the boat lives up there too.

You sailing at lake Quinsig?

-E

13 hours ago, Steam Flyer said:

No I don't mean repeatedly capsizing   :lol:   :lol:  :blink:

I mean something like this ... Basic Capsize Drill for small 2-hand sloops

One of the problems you'll face is how to get aboard without getting excessively tired heaving up over the gunwhale, and not pulling the boat over on top of yourself. It's easier with a second person to "scoop" but some of the basics are the same. Don't let the boat get away from you! Get the boat & the situation under control, don't just heave it right-side up and hope for the best. Have a practiced method to get aboard. Spend some time working this out in calm conditions, a swimming pool is ideal but not everybody has that option  ;)

Red Shark is probably a great source of advice for the specifics on this, I have only sailed a Megabyte a few times.

FB- Doug

That is awesome.  LOL!!  I agree - I capsized then struggled to get back on as quickly as possible, paying no attention to the wind, orientation of the boat, exertion...

I should watch some of those videos

50 minutes ago, ItsMega said:

Hey Eddie_E

I actually live in Central MA, but sail in NH.  We have a house on a lake up there, so the boat lives up there too.

You sailing at lake Quinsig?

-E

We sail in Webster.

This could be the start of a beautiful new relationship!

1 hour ago, Eddie_E said:

We sail in Webster.

Do you guy sail in Chargoggagoggmanchauggagoggchaubunagungamaugg?

16 hours ago, ItsMega said:

Your weight is part of the problem.  The Megabyte was designed for a crew weight of 225.  You aren't Mega enough.  You would be better off with a Laser or a Byte.

http://sailingmagazine.net/article-266-megabyte.html

8 minutes ago, Yard Dog said:

Your weight is part of the problem.  The Megabyte was designed for a crew weight of 225.  You aren't Mega enough.  You would be better off with a Laser or a Byte.

I weigh 180#, am nearing 40, and have knees that are old and sad because of years of BMX, Mountain Biking, and Snow Boarding.  The 'seating position' of a Laser or Byte would cause me pain.  I also can't fit the wife in a Laser/Byte.  Just bought a smaller sail on the Electronic Bay - I suspect that will help a bit until my skill level catches up with...my.....stupidity?

-E

3 hours ago, Eddie_E said:

We sail in Webster.

I think of that as eastern MA bhaha.

IsMega, I gotta say I love your attitude. I think in a few weeks or a month or two you're going to be kicking ass on that thing. Keep it up. 

48 minutes ago, ItsMega said:

I  Just bought a smaller sail on the Electronic Bay - I suspect that will help alot

After you've mastered that then rig the big sail and take your wife/child/friend out. 

2 hours ago, ItsMega said:

Do you guy sail in Chargoggagoggmanchauggagoggchaubunagungamaugg?

Yup, that's the one. Ask for it by name.

56 minutes ago, fastyacht said:

I think of that as eastern MA bhaha.

On my map, all it says West of Worcester is "there be dragons here".

Did they film the movie Deliverance there?

Haha they could have that's for sure!
I've never seen a sailboat there. Good to know someone is doing it.
There is even a 110 fleet a few lakes over, believe it or not!

We have a full OD-Mariner fleet and a full DS fleet in a lake that is only 4 1/2 foot deep in several places. I found the shallow spot when I split my dagger board in half on my Holder 14.

1 hour ago, kinardly said:

IsMega, I gotta say I love your attitude. I think in a few weeks or a month or two you're going to be kicking ass on that thing. Keep it up. 

Thanks Man.  Swim it till you trim it?  Is that the nautical version of Fake it till you make it?  I'll throw on the smaller sail and see what the sail/swim ratio is...

-Evan

21 hours ago, ItsMega said:

Thanks

E

I agree that the problem probably was the wind.  Even a Sunfish is hard to handle in 18 knots unless you have some experience. Try a day of 6-8 knots and build up to heavier breeze.  

A smaller sail should help a lot,  as will hours aboard in more modest conditions.  18 knots is sporty !

180 # is on the light end, certainly in Breeze  --  but perfect once you practice up just a bit and can safely bring along a passenger you'll be fine,  and that small sail should help meanwhile. 

But mainly,  get out in 5 - 10 and pile up some time aboard.

If you CAN talk someone knowledgeable in performance dinghies into going out, you will quickly increase your learning curve - technique stuff,  like remembering to use less centerboard the faster you are going  ( you need/want less lifting surface as velocity rises ) and when to drop the traveler ( early and often,  just like voting ) - when it's light these things all seem esoteric,  when you are on the fringes of control they matter.

And yes,  with the increased freeboard over the Laser & Sunfish getting back in IS a bit harder - but the extra space and speed are more than worth it to me.   I like taking folks for rides too and I'm 210 lbs - (its a GOOD load carrier).

I really like mine.   Did you get the Mark 2 sail too ?  It's much less draggy in the breeze.  Glad you didn't damage the mast with all the gyrations.

If you don't have a lot of general sailing experience you might also want to also get some hours with another boat as well and work on the basics of tacking/gybing under less demanding circumstances where errant boat-handling isn't as severely prosecuted - with it's light dishy hull it suffers no fools in 12+.

The good news is that it's a BLAST in 8-12 knots,  the bad news you already know.  But if you've got the jones for a quick-ass ride these fit the bill - that Bruce Farr guy that designed these...  he's pretty good. 

56 minutes ago, Great Red Shark said:

A smaller sail should help a lot,  as will hours aboard in more modest conditions.  18 knots is sporty !

180 # is on the light end, certainly in Breeze  --  but perfect once you practice up just a bit and can safely bring along a passenger you'll be fine,  and that small sail should help meanwhile. 

But mainly,  get out in 5 - 10 and pile up some time aboard.

If you CAN talk someone knowledgeable in performance dinghies into going out, you will quickly increase your learning curve - technique stuff,  like remembering to use less centerboard the faster you are going  ( you need/want less lifting surface as velocity rises ) and when to drop the traveler ( early and often,  just like voting ) - when it's light these things all seem esoteric,  when you are on the fringes of control they matter.

And yes,  with the increased freeboard over the Laser & Sunfish getting back in IS a bit harder - but the extra space and speed are more than worth it to me.   I like taking folks for rides too and I'm 210 lbs - (its a GOOD load carrier).

I really like mine.   Did you get the Mark 2 sail too ?  It's much less draggy in the breeze.  Glad you didn't damage the mast with all the gyrations.

If you don't have a lot of general sailing experience you might also want to also get some hours with another boat as well and work on the basics of tacking/gybing under less demanding circumstances where errant boat-handling isn't as severely prosecuted - with it's light dishy hull it suffers no fools in 12+.

The good news is that it's a BLAST in 8-12 knots,  the bad news you already know.  But if you've got the jones for a quick-ass ride these fit the bill - that Bruce Farr guy that designed these...  he's pretty good. 

Thanks GRS - The smaller sail (16x8) should be here for the weekend.  Fingers crossed I have some sailable weather.  My neighbor on the lake is a sailor, used to teach, and is anxious to get out with me.  Should learn quite a bit from him.

The boat has the original sail and mast in addition to the MKII sail and mast.  I've been sailing on the MKII mast and the first gen sail only because I didn't want to ruin the MKII sail or have to re-rig the boat.  I don't think I broke anything, but to be honest, I was just thrilled to be on dry land and got the boat back out of the water pretty quickly.  I'll really inspect everything this weekend.  I'm kind of surprised I didn't lose the top 1/2 of the mast.  The only way I could keep the boat upright while being towed in was to pull down the sail.  The sheet (line) became wedged in the sail channel the last time the boat went over.  Had it not been for that..... 

Yeah,  that sounds like you had a real yard-sale on your hands.   Don't hate me - I've owned mine a couple years and I've only dumped it once - although I have gotten REALLY Close another handful of times - these boats are actually pretty forgiving if you know which way to point them,  (or get lucky).   Now watch me get stuffed next time I'm out...

Never heard of getting the sheet in the luff track,  but I suppose anything can happen.  If the Halyard (line that hoists the sail) goes into the luff track groove,  that's okay - you can generally pull the sail down anyhow & clear it up when doused.  At least it has a halyard (unlike luff-sleeve rigs).   But yes,  uncleating it (cleat is at the top and front side of spar for those unfamiliar) underway is a challenge,  while upright,  at least.

I use my Mark 1 sail sometimes too,  just to keep the hours off my good full batten sail - it works fine,  (easier to hoist too) but the new ones DO work better (and look cooler !)  - the only change needed is a longer outhaul line, since the new sail is shorter on the foot.

The growing pains now will be likely be greatly rewarded - you aren't likely to get bored with it anytime soon - just take it easy with the conditions until you have more experience. 

As Clint Eastwood says "A man's got to know his limitations."

There is learning how to sail,  and learning how to sail performance dinghies.   You might be doing both at once,  and that is just a bit harder when ample energy is added.

17 hours ago, Moonduster said:

Yeah, big mistake.

Yeah, big mistake.

Yeah big mistake. You can obtain a tax write-off if you donate your boat to our club :). 

Oh boy...  Took the boat out again this weekend.  5 Knot winds, heavy wind sail (Thanks for the tip K9u20!), waterproof 2 way radios for MayDay! calls....  All unnecessary.  It was awesome.  This boat with 5Knot winds moves better than the O'Day Swift in 10 Knot.  What a blast.  I didn't even die once!  Thanks everyone for the encouragement.  Now all I have to do is figure out how to stop/dock.  One issue at a time :-)

--E

IMG_5101.JPG

great to see you are having fun

new england lakes typically have pretty light average winds in the summer, so having a powered-up boat will not be a problem, once you figure it out - especially when you want to go out with two people.

you will be using the big sail  - probably sooner than you think.

i'm light, so i don't know that boat.., but most dinghys have a variety of ways to de-power the rig - usually the cunningham and the vang. in other boats, these controls make a huge difference in the power. find some megabyte resources, and figure out how they use the controls on that boat to de-power. make sure that you are rigging them correctly, and that you have all the right parts, and good line - so that they work well. this is really critical. you want to be able to power up and de-power as easily as possible.

good luck.

14 hours ago, ItsMega said:

Oh boy...  Took the boat out again this weekend.  5 Knot winds, heavy wind sail (Thanks for the tip K9u20!), waterproof 2 way radios for MayDay! calls....  All unnecessary.  It was awesome.  This boat with 5Knot winds moves better than the O'Day Swift in 10 Knot.  What a blast.  I didn't even die once!  Thanks everyone for the encouragement.  Now all I have to do is figure out how to stop/dock.  One issue at a time :-)

--E

IMG_5101.JPG

Hope this helps, stopping is a very good skill and takes practice

http://nbnjrotc-sail.blogspot.com/2011/05/docking-lesson-1-stopping-would-be-nice.html

Just like landing a plane, you can't be too good at stopping!

Glad to see you are out sailing the boat and enjoying. Yes it's a hotrod, that's a big part of the fun!

FB- Doug

Glad it worked out. I think you will have a blast with the boaT !

Interesting-looking sail.  I could use one out here where it blows all darn summer.   You think it was purpose-made ?  Who built it ?

Now that you've got some more hours on it,  you can probably use the regular sails in moderate conditions and keep that one handy for the sporty days - you'll use it as the boat really was meant for a BIG guy to race,  or for two to enjoy a sail aboard.

On 8/14/2017 at 3:27 PM, Great Red Shark said:

Interesting-looking sail.  I could use one out here where it blows all darn summer.   You think it was purpose-made ?  Who built it ?

Now that you've got some more hours on it,  you can probably use the regular sails in moderate conditions and keep that one handy for the sporty days - you'll use it as the boat really was meant for a BIG guy to race,  or for two to enjoy a sail aboard.

The sail sail "Neil Pride" on it.  It was in a bag that had "Laser Main" printed on it, and "Megabyte Heavy" written on it in sharpie.  No idea what to make of that.  I purchased it from a user on Ebay named "k7e32".  Maybe he can answer your question.  He also had a dagger board on the cheap and was great to deal with.  Figured that was worth saying since I just posted his user name on this forum . :-)

On 8/12/2017 at 3:39 PM, ItsMega said:

--E

IMG_5101.JPG

That's what I was going to suggest- anything under 5 knots at first,  6 knots up to 10 is the next step- 10- 15 next, and after that.....weeee!!!!

when you get that, put on the bigger sail and repeat.

Find and read Pinaud's 'Sailing from start to finish'. Adlard Coles Limited.  It will be a used book.  It will show you how to move in a boat, among other things,  which is worth its weight.......

And all of the examples are ~ in your boat's performance envelope.