bgytr

Tripp 33 polars

Any chance I can get a copy of those as well?

Chris, there were paper copies of them in the binder with all the the other documentation when I sold the boat.

Cameron

I will check with Mike, thanks Cam.  Looking forward to giving her a spin

23 hours ago, bgytr said:

Anyone have Tripp 33 polars?  No luck finding with google.

Slow!

Depends on the sailors.

guy I sail with occasionally is very fast, and has been for the last 50 years.  Grew up sailing with him and he's pro quality. 

2 hours ago, jesposito said:

Slow!

Not so sure about that. I never had trouble hanging with the best J35's and Bene 36.7's on lake Ontario. The boat has a narrow groove upwind but if you stay in the sweet spot it is great. It really likes weight on the rail as well, you need your 8 best friends sailing with you if you really want to make one go.

Upwind.jpg

1 hour ago, Retired BN said:

Not so sure about that. I never had trouble hanging with the best J35's and Bene 36.7's on lake Ontario. The boat has a narrow groove upwind but if you stay in the sweet spot it is great. It really likes weight on the rail as well, you need your 8 best friends sailing with you if you really want to make one go.

Upwind.jpg

Yep.  Tricky groove but very fast if you can stay in it.  We can inch past j35s without much trouble.  No trouble blowing away espos j29, that's for sure.

2 hours ago, bgytr said:

Yep.  Tricky groove but very fast if you can stay in it.  We can inch past j35s without much trouble.  No trouble blowing away espos j29, that's for sure.

Put your money where your mouth is!

I might come back out of retirement before Block 2019, for this

1 hour ago, jesposito said:

Put your money where your mouth is!

I might come back out of retirement before Block 2019, for this

If I can get the owner to agree we'd be happy to wax you around any course, boat for boat. No handicaps.

16 minutes ago, bgytr said:

If I can get the owner to agree we'd be happy to wax you around any course, boat for boat. No handicaps.

Pretty generous of you to offer the slower handicap boat a race boat for boat.

53 minutes ago, Retired BN said:

So the consensus seems to be the j29 is slower than a Tripp 33.  I agree.

5 minutes ago, Medicine Man said:

Cameron

I see you still have one foot in, How is cottage life?

Cottage is good but miss the Tripp a lot. We had a lot of good times on the boat and built a great crew over the 9 years I had it. I drove the OD 35 in Whitby last night, it was nice driving a performance boat again.

11 hours ago, TripleZeros said:

I've gone 16kts on a Tripp 33 with main down and a #3 jib. It was blowing 50kts but that's just details...

I remember that....

I miss the good times we had on that boat but I don't miss the runners!!!!!!

Hroth

20 hours ago, bgytr said:

You are a joke, boat for boat. When you owe me 30 seconds a mile.

You won't be me boat for boat in H1 conditions, That I can guarantee you!!!!!!!!!!!!  

19 hours ago, Retired BN said:

That's what I was thinking,

I was thinking in offing him that I sail a J111 and race them boat for boat.

What a fucking tool

2 hours ago, jesposito said:

You are a joke, boat for boat. When you owe me 30 seconds a mile.

You won't be me boat for boat in H1 conditions, That I can guarantee you!!!!!!!!!!!!  

You said the Tripp 33 was slow.  As you agree it's faster than your j29, by defult that makes the j29 even slower, pussy.

50 minutes ago, bgytr said:

You said the Tripp 33 was slow.  As you agree it's faster than your j29, by defult that makes the j29 even slower, pussy.

Cunt,

Of course it's slower, never said the 29 is faster boat for boat.

What I said is you have no shot at beating me, put your money where your mouth is or put your owners money where you mouth is and come for a shot at the TITLE.

You are just a typical non boat owning blowhard that can not back up anything.

18 minutes ago, jesposito said:

Cunt,

Of course it's slower, never said the 29 is faster boat for boat.

What I said is you have no shot at beating me, put your money where your mouth is or put your owners money where you mouth is and come for a shot at the TITLE.

You are just a typical non boat owning blowhard that can not back up anything.

So if the tripp 33 can't sail to it's rating wrt the j29, then lets make it 10 secs per mile.  What title would that be, the espos a dick title?  Don't think anyone will get that from you.

Tripp 33's are really ticklish and have to be well sailed to succeed.  That said, they've won class at Key West, Miami SORC, Screwpile and many other venues.  The keel is especially sensitive and efficient near max hull speed.  They have huge rudders which make rig tune/placement critical for balance.  We regularly held a lane behind faster boats by footing off 3-4 degrees to get water over the keel and were keel lifted above the boats ahead.  Magic!  They are underpowed down wind and really benefit from penalty pole or (masthead) assyms as seen above.  If you can find a dry one (balsa core/Carrol Marine) that hasn't been beat up too bad, they can beat most anything.  Including MHOB J29's which are really good boats.  

Voodoochile - Considering a Tripp 33 for sale in my area (Seattle) to do some club racing in the summer and local medium distance racing in the winter .  Good news is it hasn't been raced since about 2004, and in the interim spent 6 years on fresh water.  Bad news is it hasn't left the dock since 2017 (on salt water now).  Would need new bottom, new running rigging, and new sails fairly soon (has a set of racing sails in "good shape" that haven't been used since 2004).  Interior in pretty good shape.  Other than getting a good survey to determine wet spots and engine condition, thoughts on problem areas, what to look for, estimated value, etc?  Thanks

7 minutes ago, Eman15 said:

Voodoochile - Considering a Tripp 33 for sale in my area (Seattle) to do some club racing in the summer and local medium distance racing in the winter .  Good news is it hasn't been raced since about 2004, and in the interim spent 6 years on fresh water.  Bad news is it hasn't left the dock since 2017 (on salt water now).  Would need new bottom, new running rigging, and new sails fairly soon (has a set of racing sales in "good shape" that haven't been used since 2004).  Interior in pretty good shape.  Other than getting a good survey to determine wet spots and engine condition, thoughts on problem areas, what to look for, estimated value, etc?  Thanks

Did three Chi-Macs on one.  Not a bad boat but never understood a lifting keel that only helped for a few feet.  Plus,  you're going to need sails, and not sales.  

9 minutes ago, Cal20sailor said:

Did three Chi-Macs on one.  Not a bad boat but never understood a lifting keel that only helped for a few feet.  Plus,  you're going to need sails, and not sales.  

Yes.  lifting keel is a strange feature - not needed in this area.  Handy for trailering or if you run aground, I guess.  Don't plan on doing either - famous last words :^).  (Typo fixed).

18 minutes ago, Eman15 said:

Voodoochile - Considering a Tripp 33 for sale in my area (Seattle) to do some club racing in the summer and local medium distance racing in the winter .  Good news is it hasn't been raced since about 2004, and in the interim spent 6 years on fresh water.  Bad news is it hasn't left the dock since 2017 (on salt water now).  Would need new bottom, new running rigging, and new sails fairly soon (has a set of racing sails in "good shape" that haven't been used since 2004).  Interior in pretty good shape.  Other than getting a good survey to determine wet spots and engine condition, thoughts on problem areas, what to look for, estimated value, etc?  Thanks

I've seen asking prices at $29K, don't know what the selling price was.  Balsa core is a primary concern, deck AND hull are balsa core.  I know of 2 boats that were totaled due to hull saturation.  Boats that have been raced hard get pretty flexible.  We were compensating with a lot of runner tension both to straiten head stay and to pull the boat into a stable shape where it didn't flex as much.  Really loved the boat!  

This one?  Looks pretty tidy.  One other thing re the lifting keel...don't use the big bolt with the keel down unless you're afraid of getting rolled.  If you run aground with it in, you won't be able to pull it out. It's more to hold the keel up when in lifted position. 

https://www.yachtworld.com/boats/1992/tripp-racing-3524582/?refSource=browse listing

Thanks

2 hours ago, voodoochile said:

This one?  Looks pretty tidy.  One other thing re the lifting keel...don't use the big bolt with the keel down unless you're afraid of getting rolled.  If you run aground with it in, you won't be able to pull it out. It's more to hold the keel up when in lifted position. 

https://www.yachtworld.com/boats/1992/tripp-racing-3524582/?refSource=browse listing

Thanks - yep that's the one, but just in the boat browsing stage at this point, getting more info, etc.   Understand current owner recently power washed coat of green off the topside, so definitely needs close inspection.  Involved in racing with other boats at his point, so no hurry.  Will always be more boats out there.  If I get serious with this will definitely reach out for more info on the keel, etc (understand keel hasn't moved in over 15 years).  Thanks again.

2 hours ago, Eman15 said:

Yes.  lifting keel is a strange feature - not needed in this area.  Handy for trailering or if you run aground, I guess.  Don't plan on doing either - famous last words :^).  (Typo fixed).

Eric Landman had one that was tricked out on Lake Michigan.  Reach out.  IIRC he did masthead chutes and did quite well.  

16 hours ago, Cal20sailor said:

Eric Landman had one that was tricked out on Lake Michigan.  Reach out.  IIRC he did masthead chutes and did quite well.  

Eric had an SR 33. Carl Hanssen had the Tripp, Voodoo’s old boat.