• Announcements

• Zapata

Abbreviated rules   07/28/2017

Underdawg did an excellent job of explaining the rules.  Here's the simplified version: Don't insinuate Pedo.  Warning and or timeout for a first offense.  PermaFlick for any subsequent offenses Don't out members.  See above for penalties.  Caveat:  if you have ever used your own real name or personal information here on the forums since, like, ever - it doesn't count and you are fair game. If you see spam posts, report it to the mods.  We do not hang out in every thread 24/7 If you see any of the above, report it to the mods by hitting the Report button in the offending post.   We do not take action for foul language, off-subject content, or abusive behavior unless it escalates to persistent stalking.  There may be times that we might warn someone or flick someone for something particularly egregious.  There is no standard, we will know it when we see it.  If you continually report things that do not fall into rules #1 or 2 above, you may very well get a timeout yourself for annoying the Mods with repeated whining.  Use your best judgement. Warnings, timeouts, suspensions and flicks are arbitrary and capricious.  Deal with it.  Welcome to anarchy.   If you are a newbie, there are unwritten rules to adhere to.  They will be explained to you soon enough.  
Jachtař

Sailing around the world in a Leisure 17

49 posts in this topic

Have you ever wondered (hypothetically) just how far you could go if you set sail one day and headed out over the horizon in a Craiglist special 4ksb with almost no preparation? OK, admittedly we don't need to nor should anyone really even want to, as we all saw what happened to Rimas (as extremely addictive as that was, but that's one more reason why no one should ever attempt anything similar).

However, as there is no shortage of people in the world, a Bulgarian immigrant living in Italy is planning to set sail for a 14 months non-stop circumnavigation in a Hurley Silhouette (which is by him called a Leisure 17, hence the name of this thread), a boat on which he's apparently been working for quite some time. He's been going on about this for the last three years now, appearing in Italian sailing magazines and Bulgarian news, but apart from a lot of talking there hasn't been much actual sailing. Now he's apparently planning to leave in the autumn, with abouth 9-10 months worth of food onboard (he mantains that he will have to survive on fish and plancton once he runs out of everything he's packed), and his website is already showing the coordinates... for donations, plus an impressive list of sponsors.

If you want to check it, just google for his handle Skipperlib; there is a website, and facebook, twitter and youtube accounts.

So, what do we have here, a new Rimas? Hotrod?  Mix between the two? Just another grifter? Or simply another delusional dreamer / tragedy waiting to happen?

Personally I have strong doubts that he will ever start, but as I'm in Rimas withdrawal I was looking for anything similar and came across this story. But, should he really eventually leave port, there is hope that things won't be as bad as with our Lithuanian "hero"

Oh yeah, tits right? How about the ones of the man himself?

dimov.JPG.e6c365d2d1ae584fb98e85034bd36020.JPG

Enjoy!

13 minutes ago, Jachtař said:

Have you ever wondered (hypothetically) just how far you could go if you set sail one day and headed out over the horizon in a Craiglist special 4ksb with almost no preparation? OK, admittedly we don't need to nor should anyone really even want to, as we all saw what happened to Rimas (as extremely addictive as that was, but that's one more reason why no one should ever attempt anything similar).

However, as there is no shortage of people in the world, a Bulgarian immigrant living in Italy is planning to set sail for a 14 months non-stop circumnavigation in a Hurley Silhouette (which is by him called a Leisure 17, hence the name of this thread), a boat on which he's apparently been working for quite some time. He's been going on about this for the last three years now, appearing in Italian sailing magazines and Bulgarian news, but apart from a lot of talking there hasn't been much actual sailing. Now he's apparently planning to leave in the autumn, with abouth 9-10 months worth of food onboard (he mantains that he will have to survive on fish and plancton once he runs out of everything he's packed), and his website is already showing the coordinates... for donations, plus an impressive list of sponsors.

If you want to check it, just google for his handle Skipperlib; there is a website, and facebook, twitter and youtube accounts.

So, what do we have here, a new Rimas? Hotrod?  Mix between the two? Just another grifter? Or simply another delusional dreamer / tragedy waiting to happen?

Personally I have strong doubts that he will ever start, but as I'm in Rimas withdrawal I was looking for anything similar and came across this story. But, should he really eventually leave port, there is hope that things won't be as bad as with our Lithuanian "hero"

Oh yeah, tits right? How about the ones of the man himself?

dimov.JPG.e6c365d2d1ae584fb98e85034bd36020.JPG

Enjoy!

Sounds interesting. I don't know much about the Hurley boats.

An experienced sailor went around the world in a MiniTransAt boat a few years back. That was an epic voyage, but the skill of the sailor was undeniable and the boat was well designed for ocean sailing. I'm sure he can make it, given reasonable skill and not too much bad luck.

FB- Doug

Read Shrimpy by Shane Acton. It is on the net as a PDF.

He circumnavigated in a Caprice which is an 18 ft 6 inch plywood bilge keeler. When he set off he had limited sailing experience and had the mast on deck as he was up a river with low bridges.He made many stops in the 8 years and picked up a very pretty Swiss girl friend on the way. 

My favorite passage describes him cooking chips [ French Fries ] in the cockpit using a paraffin stove in a biscuit tin held between his feet after surviving a Biscay gale. He said he needed some comfort food. 

Soon to be on the mythical FP as some nation has to send their coasties or navy to rescue, or his family sends pleas out for fellow boaters to keep en eye out for him...

Does he have a frying pan yet? One of those copper infused no stick ones might work really well.

Here's two pics of Bas Jan Ader's boat before and after. That's a lot of growth for 9 months!

On 9 July 1975, Ader set off in a 13 ft (4.0 m) modified “Guppy 13” pocket cruiser named Ocean Wave, to make his single-handed west–east crossing of the North Atlantic. He estimated that the voyage should take him some two and a half months. His unmanned boat was found nine months after he had set sail, floating nearly vertically in the water, bow down, 200 nautical miles (360 km's) due west of Land's End, 100 nautical miles SW of Ireland. Ocean Wave was found by Spanish fishermen who took her to La Coruña from where she was stolen somewhere between 18 May and 7 June 1976. [11]

It is unknown how Ader met his death. It is the source of much speculation. Sightings of him and his boat off the American East Coast and the Azores are unconfirmed. Ader was an accomplished sailor, having been one of a two-handed crew, sailing a yacht from Morocco to California in 1962-63. His brother Erik, an experienced ocean sailor, thinks that the fixed point on the boat to which his life line was attached was ripped out when he fell overboard in heavy weather. His conclusion is based on interviews with people in Spain who saw his retrieved boat before it was stolen. [12]

bas_jan_ader_before.jpg

bas_jan_ader_after.jpg

It does sound interesting, but unfortunately the guy sounds also way too optimistic; his first estimate was that he needed about 9 months to complete the voyage, now he's up to about 14... it doesn't look like he thought everything thorough. And frankly I have strong doubts that someone with his limited experience (at least recent experience, but I can't find any evidence of any previous ocean crossing under his belt, let alone a singlehanded crossing) will be able to double three capes in a 17 footer, all while fishing for plancton. Also, his plan is for his voyage to be non-stop, and I really doubt that someone with possibly a very limited experience and that kind of boat is going to survive a few weeks in the southern ocean, let alone doing it without any breakages. That said, he's obviously not a complete greenhorn as Rimas was, so he might have some chance of pulling this thing off. Problem is, that chance in my opinion would be around 1%... here's a (way too well edited, way too optimistic) video about the whole thing:

Interestingly enough, on his official twitter feed he published only about 6 tweets in 3/4 years, but one of those is a retweet of a Sailing Anarchy piece, so I wouldn't be surprised should this guy pop out over here in the near future

This is a Hurley. Popular bilgekeel weekender in UK. Originally built in ply, later fiberglass.

$_86.JPG

If the boat is in excellent condition, and maintained that way, it should be able to sail around the world in the tradewind zones. Avoiding cyclone season of course. I don't think the boat will handle a heavy gale. As in the usual case, success will depend largely on the skill and experience of the sailor. With good planning and preparation, competent sailing, and accurate navigation, the trip is possible. If the guy is an inexperienced dreamer, his fate will rely on pure luck. I don't think the boat will withstand southern ocean gales, and is too slow to avoid them. In fact, slow will be the operating word for the trip. Relying on plankton catching for food is just plain stupid. 

Jachtař the Newbie, this is a pretty tasteless attempt to start an epic thread.

23 minutes ago, Bull City said:

Jachtař the Newbie, this is a pretty tasteless attempt to start an epic thread.

You bet, it's unashamedly a remake for Rimas junkies, a group which includes me; I said as much in my very first post. And after all, aren't all remakes tasteless? Yet they keep dragging us back, we might be complaining that the stories have become stale, repetitive, and the characters have become empty tropes and parodies of themselves, but we can't help it, we have to go back.

I'd have happily kept lurking, but with Rimas most probably gone, I found that this guy that somewhat managed to escape the radars of this forum for three years, so off goes my stone in the pond.

Still, I doubt this thread will ever really take off... fuck it, I kinda wish that on the other side this dude will eventually understand that what he wants to do is very, very stupid and will abandon the idea so that the thread and all the accounts will die. On the other side, I can't deny that there is a part of me that's attracted to this show and kinda wishes it could go on, but that's probably the same part of me that wanted to see Trump elected.

So, Ivan Dimov, if you're reading this: this is a fucking terrible idea, please think about it again

Dunning-Kruger is determined to meet Dawin. Hard to stop such ignorance, but damn sure don't have to enable it.

2 hours ago, RKoch said:

...    ...    ...    ...

Relying on plankton catching for food is just plain stupid. 

Plankton tastes awful. You have to filter it one stage further, thru a fish.

Thanks for the info & pic on the Hurley, looks like a nice little boat but not an ocean voyager, really. A good sailor can make a mediocre boat do things though, if this guy has the experience and skills he shouldn't be in too bad a shape... definitely a low standard of living though.

FB- Doug

The boat makes no sense to me.  Apart from being a light coastal boat to start with, his mods to it show little sign of any understanding of what the ocean will do to that wee boat.  If you want to take that boat offshore, it needs the sort of radical makeover which Roger Taylor gave MingMing II. This still looks to me like a coastal boat ... and that shouts of a staggering naivety about the sea, let alone the voyage.

He's no Rimas. Seems much more coherent and organised.  I fear that this man may be just about good enough to get himself into serious trouble

I got $10 for a donation towards a Starbucks gift card.

The woman in the video says he wants to do this "because he has been unsuccessful with many things in his life".  Hate to break it to him but this will be another success which eludes him.

3 minutes ago, sailronin said:

The woman in the video says he wants to do this "because he has been unsuccessful with many things in his life".  Hate to break it to him but this will be another success which eludes him.

He should pick more modest aims, like getting up on all days, not just the even ones.

19 hours ago, Jachtař said:

He's been going on about this for the last three years now, appearing in Italian sailing magazines and Bulgarian news, but apart from a lot of talking there hasn't been much actual sailing.

Sounds like he has real potential. Has anyone gotten him a Delorme yet?

images.jpg.dde399d2882b3d42f7fd2fc9c7d9aba4.jpg

1 hour ago, Uncooperative Tom said:

Sounds like he has real potential. Has anyone gotten him a Delorme yet?

I'm sure that someone with such a long list of sponsors can afford one:

http://skipperlib.com/en/index.html

Also, his twitter account has a few tweets which look like pings straight out of a Delorme (they say 'Minnie is here and I'm fine', linking to some map)

Still, the more I think about this, the more I'm sure that it's just a publicity stunt. Even if the guy should indeed start his voyage (which I doubt), Minnie is not going to get out of the mediterranean. Mind, that might still be enough for a very bad ending

This guy makes Rimas look like a piker when it comes to grifting.........

In the pool, I'll take smashing into a semi-submerged container, Southern Indian Ocean.....

Not so sure I like this guy's attitude.

A couple of FB Timeline Pics:

10592692_877450972266170_487158264449631

I thought record-breaking voyagers asked whether the sails were down and it was time for buttery mashed taters?

Then there's this:

10540393_872182959459638_447004384841727

If Rimas had ever read that one he would have been much less entertaining.

The green peepers are awesome though.

10590490_890231877654746_334289725878407

Hope all those electronic thingys are waterproof. 

I'm buying into this thread too. Wasn't doing anything for the next 4 years anyway.

4 hours ago, madohe said:

This guy makes Rimas look like a piker when it comes to grifting.........

In the pool, I'll take smashing into a semi-submerged container, Southern Indian Ocean.....

Weed Stowe remains the champion grifter!

• He wore the correct costume while pitching his grift.
  • He used tits to stir up interest.
  • He had that thousand yard stare, though, admittedly, not quite as refined as Rimas.

reid_pitchman.jpg

a_little_nipply_out_there.jpg

reid_portrait_03.jpg

reid_06_psycho.jpg

5 hours ago, HypnoToad said:

Hope all those electronic thingys are waterproof. 

I'm buying into this thread too. Wasn't doing anything for the next 4 years anyway.

It'll be interesting to see his plan to keep batteries charged. And his self-steering...windvane? Autopilot? Motor is out of the question, as it and fuel takes up too much space. Guy thinks he's going to complete trip in 9 months. That's delusional...it'll be at least double that. Eating plankton will get old fast...

Whatever happened to Mr. Weed?

16 minutes ago, Caferacer59 said:

whose buying the Delorme? 

Who gets the hookers?

5 hours ago, woahboy said:

Who gets the hookers?

The winner

21 hours ago, Ishmael said:

He should pick more modest aims, like getting up on all days, not just the even ones.

Oh Fuck, just coughed up weird gin aged in barrels, not good for G&T but ice, onions and jalapeño olives and I am good to go except I am licking it off my keyboard.

What got my interest in Rimas was that he drifted to Alaska, across the ocean multiple of times in a SJ 24, we used to crash them on Lake Washington and definitely in the dangerous salt chuck regularly as they were okay in 0-8 downwind, unless a sailmaker was driving (I have some experience in this area) who always thinks he can steer the fucking thing downwind so get out of the way and if you blow up your spin. bring the next biggest one up get her hoisted pronto.  I don't have it in me to get sucked into this lad's mis-adventure.

Who's donating the cocktail olives and buttery mashed taters?

Seriously, this yahoo needs to set off to sea and then I will get excited. May even forget about Rimas.

22 hours ago, Somebody Else said:

Weed Stowe remains the champion grifter!

• He wore the correct costume while pitching his grift.
  • He used tits to stir up interest.
  • He had that thousand yard stare, though, admittedly, not quite as refined as Rimas.

reid_pitchman.jpg

a_little_nipply_out_there.jpg

reid_portrait_03.jpg

reid_06_psycho.jpg

dunno about the costume though, always thought these two golden stripes were good enough for a steward, nowhere near "Captain" Rimas, and our latest prospect calls himself "skipper"... go the Hurley !

Dude better get cracking on the grifting and drifting if this thread is going to make 200 pages.

9 hours ago, RKoch said:

Dude better get cracking on the grifting and drifting if this thread is going to make 200 pages.

Well, he friended me on FB, so that's a start, I guess.

19 minutes ago, Legion of Modernrate Jack said:

Rule #1 for the long game, get on those moderated sites & lurk for the later times, when the hyper critical are excluded by the faithfull!

Good plan. I should have set up some sock puppets on Rimas's page.

2 hours ago, RKoch said:

Good plan. I should have set up some sock puppets on Rimas's page.

I had you pegged as the one-legged German divorcee with a parrot collection.

Just now, Ishmael said:

I had you pegged as the one-legged German divorcee with a parrot collection.

I had thought more of an heir to the Idahoan B.M. Potato Company fortune might stick on that page.:ph34r:

Perhaps we should buy maraschino cherry and stuffed olive futures?

Rimas set the bar so high (or low?) That it'll be difficult to be entertained by unseamanship acts. How can you out-stupid the lawn dart? The chafe'n flush? Upside down jib? Etc

On 8/10/2017 at 9:09 PM, Moderate said:

The winner

How are we judging the winner?

58 minutes ago, woahboy said:

How are we judging the winner?

We?

We aren't judging anything until you show us your SO's tits.

OFFICIAL CON TIKI SCORING SYSTEM

Harbor master tows out to sea for free:   20 points.

Drifts out to sea without power or sail:   10 points 

Motors out to sea:  1 point.

Sails out own power:  0 points.

Skulls out to sea:   -2 points

Leaves while boat is in arrears and under arrest:  10 bonus points.

Rescued with boat afloat:  -50 points

Returns missing motor, dinghy, mast, etc.  5 points per item over 50 pounds..

Days at sea:   1 point / 24 hour period.

Poetry:   1 bonus point / quoted stanza.

Number of returns = number of departures:  0 points.

Found mummified in ghost ship.  10 points / 3 years missing.   

Lost in open sea, no trace found:  20 points.

Lost in bay or near shore, no trace found.  30 points.

Lost in marina, reservoir or river, no trace found.   40 points.

Lawn darts onto beach while asleep in cabin during storm:  50 points

Obtains free tow from Federal agency and boat isn't impounded:  10 points.

Obtains free tow from local agency and boat isn't impounded:   5 points.

Obtains free tow from commercial or for hire agency:  2 points.

Returns under motor power:  1 point.

Returns under sail power:  0 points.

Returns under Jerry rig sail:  -2 points.

Jerry rig uses bungee cords:   3 bonus points

Pays for services in full:  -50 points per offense.

Pays but check bounces or card is stolen: 50 bonus points.

Enabler covers the tab for said services:   50 bonus points.   

Rimas has mega points if he doesn't blow it.   Stiff competition.

On 8/17/2017 at 0:57 AM, Lark said:

OFFICIAL CON TIKI SCORING SYSTEM

Harbor master tows out to sea for free:   20 points.

Drifts out to sea without power or sail:   10 points 

Motors out to sea:  1 point.

Sails out own power:  0 points.

Skulls out to sea:   -2 points

Leaves while boat is in arrears and under arrest:  10 bonus points.

Rescued with boat afloat:  -50 points

Returns missing motor, dinghy, mast, etc.  5 points per item over 50 pounds..

Days at sea:   1 point / 24 hour period.

Poetry:   1 bonus point / quoted stanza.

Number of returns = number of departures:  0 points.

Found mummified in ghost ship.  10 points / 3 years missing.   

Lost in open sea, no trace found:  20 points.

Lost in bay or near shore, no trace found.  30 points.

Lost in marina, reservoir or river, no trace found.   40 points.

Lawn darts onto beach while asleep in cabin during storm:  50 points

Obtains free tow from Federal agency and boat isn't impounded:  10 points.

Obtains free tow from local agency and boat isn't impounded:   5 points.

Obtains free tow from commercial or for hire agency:  2 points.

Returns under motor power:  1 point.

Returns under sail power:  0 points.

Returns under Jerry rig sail:  -2 points.

Jerry rig uses bungee cords:   3 bonus points

Pays for services in full:  -50 points per offense.

Pays but check bounces or card is stolen: 50 bonus points.

Enabler covers the tab for said services:   50 bonus points.   

Rimas has mega points if he doesn't blow it.   Stiff competition.

Free tow from a commercial interest should be worth more points because the gov't agencies don't charge.

Just as Rimas was getting boring. 

My money is he never makes it as far as Cape Town

image.php?u=7743&dateline=1174969852 my money is on his fish selfies