• Announcements

• Zapata

Abbreviated rules   07/28/2017

Underdawg did an excellent job of explaining the rules.  Here's the simplified version: Don't insinuate Pedo.  Warning and or timeout for a first offense.  PermaFlick for any subsequent offenses Don't out members.  See above for penalties.  Caveat:  if you have ever used your own real name or personal information here on the forums since, like, ever - it doesn't count and you are fair game. If you see spam posts, report it to the mods.  We do not hang out in every thread 24/7 If you see any of the above, report it to the mods by hitting the Report button in the offending post.   We do not take action for foul language, off-subject content, or abusive behavior unless it escalates to persistent stalking.  There may be times that we might warn someone or flick someone for something particularly egregious.  There is no standard, we will know it when we see it.  If you continually report things that do not fall into rules #1 or 2 above, you may very well get a timeout yourself for annoying the Mods with repeated whining.  Use your best judgement. Warnings, timeouts, suspensions and flicks are arbitrary and capricious.  Deal with it.  Welcome to anarchy.   If you are a newbie, there are unwritten rules to adhere to.  They will be explained to you soon enough.  
Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
Point Break

Best Science Fiction Movies

97 posts in this topic

So the Godzilla thread had me wander back through some old sci fi movies from my childhood wondering which were best. Certainly "best" will depend on your age.......but some standouts for me were:

1. "It From Beyond Space"........scared the shit out of me as a kid. Monster aboard the spacecraft. Said to be the creative forerunner of "Alien".
  2. "Them"........giant frigging ants in LA..........sheesh.....
  3. "The Attack of the 40 Foot Woman".........she was one pissed off chick. This one has to be in the sci fi comedy category.
  4. "To Serve Man"......Twilight Zone episode......"it's a cookbook!!"......pretty cool.

But my favorite of ALL TIME......1951 "The Day the Earth Stood Still". Do not......I repeat Do Not f with Klattu or Gort will have your ass..........

Bladerunner

Galaxy Quest

Space Balls

2001 Space Oddity

Brazil

12 Monkeys

Dune

5th Element

Alien

Soylent Green

War of the Worlds original

The Omega Man

Red Dwarf 

The Ten Commandments

Don't forget Firefly and the Battlestar Galactica remake. 

Loved the BSG T series remake. 

Blade runner was a great flick.

I've alwasy been a Star Trek guy personally.. 

loved the Alien movies. (even the newest ones)

Mars Attacks

images.jpg

Never seen a reference to this movie in all these years. I was living in Taiwan 1950's and a friend had a uncle who was a Commander of a USN ship visiting down island we went on a weekend adventure to spend the weekend aboard....I saw this aboard in the crew mess watching on a pop up  listening to the projector...scared the crap out of me...

The X Unknown

2 hours ago, Rum Runner said:

+1 this was shown with PT109 when I was a kid. I had nightmares for years. Freaked out every time the bushes rustled after dark...

My Favorite Alien

The Newick 40 tri in the background that is. The sail number was '2001'.

We had T-shirts with a graphic of the tri and the sail number and the slogan,

'Offshore, no one can hear you scream...'

Image result for hull shape power catamaran vs sailing catamaran

34 minutes ago, familysailor said:

+1 this was shown with PT109 when I was a kid. I had nightmares for years. Freaked out every time the bushes rustled after dark...

That was my experiance with the movie "It Terror From Beyond Space" hit me as a kid. Mars monster crawling around the space ship killing the crew one by one........scared the shit out of me.

2001 is in a class by itself at #1 - everything else is fighting over second place.

Dreamcatcher (Stephen King)

Firefly ( I had not watched the series first)

Star Wars

Dark Skies

WL

9 minutes ago, SloopJonB said:

2001 is in a class by itself at #1 - everything else is fighting over second place.

It's top 3 for certain..........

1 hour ago, SloopJonB said:

+1. I didn't even read the rest.

6 hours ago, Marcjsmith said:

Loved the BSG T series remake. 

Blade runner was a great flick.

I've alwasy been a Star Trek guy personally.. 

loved the Alien movies. (even the newest ones)

Other movies not mentioned, but probably worth a watch;

Frtz Lang's - Metropolis

Steamboy

THX1138

Akira

Logan's Run

3 hours ago, SloopJonB said:

yup

Robot Monster

The Crawling Eye

Mystery Science Theatre 3000

Godzilla 

The Man Who Fell to Earth

Never get tired of watching this movie....

3 hours ago, Rule69 said:

I tell all my friends about Dark Star and they think I am crazy......Until they see it themselves.

Started as a USC film scholol project. Made by John Carpenter and the guy who wrote the screenplay for Alien

Event Horizon - brilliant

Not necessarily in order:

Planet of the Apes (get your hands off me you damn dirty ape!)

Terminator

Aliens 1 & 2

Blade Runner

The Matrix 

Star Wars & Empire Strikes back  (the rest were shit)

The Martian

Interstellar

Gravity

They don't count because the thread is about movies, but Battlestar Galactica (the new one) and Star Trek Next Gen are/were by far the best SciFi TV going.

My absolute sorta scifi/monster movie as a kid was the "Creature from the Black Lagoon".  I spent many a Sat afternoon watching that over and over again.

Terminator was a great movie, with the benefit of having never been a book.

I'm one of those insufferable people who never saw a movie that was as good as the book. Most sci-fi movies made from books I like, such as Starship Troopers, I never bother to see because it's going to be a disappointment. Blade Runner was a good movie but it was missing all the socio-economic issues that made the book important as well as entertaining. The movie Dune ruined the book Dune for me.

It's a shame because some books would make fantastic movies... Door into Summer, Ringworld, Footfall.... probably never going to happen.

-DSK

Saturday afternoon scary movies in LA.......Elvira.........some of you know what I mean.........

The 1st ALIEN; BLADE RUNNER; WESTWORLD; after reading the book, 2001 (movie) made sense; DAY THE EARTH STOOD STILL; some of the STAR TREK franchise;  METROPOLIS; 20k LEAGUES (James Mason); 

--wait. Elvira. Yum.  Whatever she's watching. 

vCStNEqb.jpg

9 hours ago, MKF said:

Event Horizon - brilliant

wat

2 hours ago, Steam Flyer said:

I'm one of those insufferable people who never saw a movie that was as good as the book. Most sci-fi movies made from books I like, such as Starship Troopers, I never bother to see because it's going to be a disappointment. Blade Runner was a good movie but it was missing all the socio-economic issues that made the book important as well as entertaining. The movie Dune ruined the book Dune for me.

It's a shame because some books would make fantastic movies... Door into Summer, Ringworld, Footfall.... probably never going to happen.

-DSK

How so , the movie pretty much stayed true to the story..

On 8/9/2017 at 8:35 AM, IStream said:

Don't forget Firefly and the Battlestar Galactica remake. 

The BSG remake may be one of the most realistic space stories written.

If you have not seen the Caprica prequel series, released after BSG, watch it. Also a very plausible scifi story line about game addiction and it's outcome.
It's only 4 seasons so you can watch it pretty quickly. Not sure which service is hosting it.

15 hours ago, cyclone said:

Robot Monster

The Crawling Eye

Mystery Science Theatre 3000

Godzilla 

The Man Who Fell to Earth

Finally, more than half way thru the thread some one lists "The Man who fell to Earth". If you ever wondered where our tech came from, watch this one.
Rip Torn is so young in this movie and Bowie is great. Even aliens love pussy and alcohol.

No-one has mentioned Plan Nine From Outer Space.

2 hours ago, dreaded said:
5 hours ago, Steam Flyer said:

...   ...   ...   The movie Dune ruined the book Dune for me....     ...    ...

Long time ago, but as I recall it was extremely hammy, and extremely boring, and the spaceships looked like electric shavers. IIRC I went with a girl who wanted to see Sting in a movie (this was long before I met Mrs Steam) and she was repulsed... that may have influenced my opinion in the aftermath. When I first read the book Dune I thought it was awesome.

If the movie had been great, all the sequels ("Grandchildren of the 2nd Cousin of Dune's ex-Mailman") would have killed it in the end.

-DSK

If this list grows any longer, it's going to look more like a list of most of the science fiction movies, not just 'the best'....  but I'm ok with that...

Silent Running

The original "body snatchers" was terrifying. Afraid to sleep for months.... kept looking at my friends for signs of the snatched

1956 version...

Just now, oldgoatroper said:

If this list grows any longer, it's going to look more like a list of most of the science fiction movies, not just 'the best'....  but I'm ok with that...

Silent Running

Finally!

2001?

Good on you guys who could stay awake through the whole thing.  I tried and failed numerous times, I guess I kept thinking the good part was during my previous naps.

The Day The Earth Stood Still - I remember this as one of the very first movies I saw.  Still with me today, decades later.  Fantastic stuff!!!!

28 minutes ago, pbd said:

2001?

Good on you guys who could stay awake through the whole thing.  I tried and failed numerous times, I guess I kept thinking the good part was during my previous naps.

the beste parte wase the semipalimatted pluvere caulle in oppening seenes!         :)

2 hours ago, pbd said:

2001?

Apparently you didn't drop enough acid.

In the traditional sense and excluding cowboy, cops and robbers, and other genres set in space and/or post apocalyptic earth based movies my list is in this order:

The martian

Contact

Outland

Silent running

Alien

Post apocalyptic and/or futuristic earth based films:

Thx1138

a boy and his dog

Le dernier combat

Blade runner

mad max

The quiet earth

District 9 is pretty amazing considering it's budget.

Do you count Inception as scifi?

18 hours ago, dreaded said:
20 hours ago, Steam Flyer said:

The movie Dune ruined the book Dune for me.

I agree with steamers.  The movie was total shite!  As much as I loved the book, the movie left a bad taste in my mouth for that title.  

8 hours ago, Chris in Santa Cruz, CA said:

Thx1138

Bob Falfa's lisense platte (allmoest)           

:)

On 8/10/2017 at 1:25 AM, dreaded said:

Bladerunner

Galaxy Quest

Space Balls

2001 Space Oddity

Brazil

12 Monkeys

Dune - I hope you are referring to the miniseries w/ William Hurt and not to that incoherent mess David Lynch made.

5th Element

Alien

Soylent Green

War of the Worlds original

The Omega Man

Red Dwarf 

The Ten Commandments

22 hours ago, Shootist Jeff said:

Not necessarily in order:

Planet of the Apes (get your hands off me you damn dirty ape!)

Terminator

Aliens 1 & 2

Blade Runner

The Matrix 

Star Wars & Empire Strikes back  (the rest were shit)

The Martian

Interstellar

Gravity This movie annoyed the cap out of me because the physics were so stupid.

They don't count because the thread is about movies, but Battlestar Galactica (the new one) and Star Trek Next Gen are/were by far the best SciFi TV going.

My absolute sorta scifi/monster movie as a kid was the "Creature from the Black Lagoon".  I spent many a Sat afternoon watching that over and over again.

You all need to start watching The Expanse if you haven't been.

1 hour ago, Shootist Jeff said:
19 hours ago, dreaded said:
22 hours ago, Steam Flyer said:

The movie Dune ruined the book Dune for me.

I agree with steamers.  The movie was total shite!  As much as I loved the book, the movie left a bad taste in my mouth for that title.  

I can get past the shitty movie. Rewatched it a while back to see it it was 17 year old me hating it because I was an immature twit... And no, my judgement at 17 was spot on with this one and Indiana Jones and the Temple of Dumb. Both garbage.

Try the mini-series with William Hurt as Leto Atreides. Much better take on it, and closer to the book.

I have no problem re-reading every few years.

22 hours ago, Steam Flyer said:

-DSK

I hear there's a Ringworld in the works...but that rumer has been around since forever, I suppose.

If you recognize that the movie Starship Troopers basically shares a title, some character names, and little else, it's actually a fun and funny movie. Even if Denise Richards isn't the one that gets nekkid.

14 minutes ago, B.J. Porter said:

I hear there's a Ringworld in the works...but that rumer has been around since forever, I suppose.

If you recognize that the movie Starship Troopers basically shares a title, some character names, and little else, it's actually a fun and funny movie. Even if Denise Richards isn't the one that gets nekkid.

I guess I'm pretty isolated from the world of entertainment. Never heard rumors of a Ringworld movie, that could be really great... ought to be a trilogy, really, there's just too much there to be one movie. Teela would be a difficult character to portray, she's neither a bimbette nor a heroine.

I'll try watching Starship Troopers with the attitude you suggest... I never did actually watch it and should give it a chance. But the out-takes and everything I heard about it, including positive impressions from friends, left me with the impression that it's not a movie I'd enjoy.... should give it a chance. The book is a piece of commercial adolescent jingoist fantasy, but IMHO it's still the best coming-of-age book with some fairly serious philosophy. Why would a film maker buy rights to a book and then not use it?

-DSK

27 minutes ago, B.J. Porter said:

I can get past the shitty movie. Rewatched it a while back to see it it was 17 year old me hating it because I was an immature twit... And no, my judgement at 17 was spot on with this one and Indiana Jones and the Temple of Dumb. Both garbage.

Try the mini-series with William Hurt as Leto Atreides. Much better take on it, and closer to the book.

I have no problem re-reading every few years.

Hah! I thought 'Raiders Of The Lost Ark' was a great movie... watched it with Mrs Steam one night a few years back, I'd forgotten how violent it was and apologized about half way thru (she had never seen it) and she said, no biggie, this is COOL!!! But a sequel? To literally and physically summoning the Wrath of God?!?? But the one with Sean Connery was pretty good too. "He chose... unwisely" is still a good comeback line.

I will also check out the Dune mini-series, never heard of that one.

-DSK

23 hours ago, Steam Flyer said:

-DSK

I'm with you on wanting to see Ringworld or Footfall.  My only concern is that those, and pretty much anything from Niven and/or Pournelle,  is sort of like the Dune series in that each book has a scope that will probably have difficulty translating into a movie/mini-series format. I'd probably still go watch it though.

Wind

Forbidden Planet, it broke so many barriers at the time.

Interesting how many Philip K Dick stories have made the big screen, superb talent there.

Hah! I thought 'Raiders Of The Lost Ark' was a great movie... watched it with Mrs Steam one night a few years back, I'd forgotten how violent it was and apologized about half way thru (she had never seen it) and she said, no biggie, this is COOL!!! But a sequel? To literally and physically summoning the Wrath of God?!?? But the one with Sean Connery was pretty good too. "He chose... unwisely" is still a good comeback line.

I will also check out the Dune mini-series, never heard of that one.

-DSK

good action flick except it has the biggest plot hole of all time, indiana jones had no affect on the outcome of the arc.. if he had done nothing, the germans would have still died..  lol..

and fuck you twats who didn't like Dune..

But the one with Sean Connery was pretty good too. "He chose... unwisely" is still a good comeback line.

-DSK

The one old scifi movie that no one has mentioned is the original War of the Worlds from the 50s.  This was another mainstay movie for me as a kid on Sat afternoons.  Loved it!

war-of-the-worlds-1953.jpg

2 minutes ago, Shootist Jeff said:

The one old scifi movie that no one has mentioned is the original War of the Worlds from the 50s.  This was another mainstay movie for me as a kid on Sat afternoons.  Loved it!

That version was awesome. Good call! 

7 hours ago, Steam Flyer said:

I guess I'm pretty isolated from the world of entertainment. Never heard rumors of a Ringworld movie, that could be really great... ought to be a trilogy, really, there's just too much there to be one movie. Teela would be a difficult character to portray, she's neither a bimbette nor a heroine.

I'll try watching Starship Troopers with the attitude you suggest... I never did actually watch it and should give it a chance. But the out-takes and everything I heard about it, including positive impressions from friends, left me with the impression that it's not a movie I'd enjoy.... should give it a chance. The book is a piece of commercial adolescent jingoist fantasy, but IMHO it's still the best coming-of-age book with some fairly serious philosophy. Why would a film maker buy rights to a book and then not use it?

-DSK

The Starship Troopers movie is often unrecognized for the satire that it is. It's violent and occasionally graphic and gruesome. A lot of jingoism in both book and movie, but pointed a different way.

I think the concept of young soldiers fighting a war against bugs is what appealed...but then someone else owned Ender's Game.

On 8/10/2017 at 2:51 PM, familysailor said:

The original "body snatchers" was terrifying. Afraid to sleep for months.... kept looking at my friends for signs of the snatched

1956 version...

Verily So.     Best ever. 

7 hours ago, Steam Flyer said:

-DSK

I hadn't heard this one. I knew the rights have been sold, swapped, and traded around since the 70s.

SyFy has done some great stuff (and some utter garbage...) so they could do this right.

http://ew.com/article/2013/04/10/ringworld-syfy/

4 hours ago, Shootist Jeff said:

see post #2

11 minutes ago, dreaded said:

see post #2

I gesse we juste miste it, sorrey Grande Mastere Dreade!

( I licke 'GMD' foure you!)                           :)

On 8/10/2017 at 7:25 PM, Snaggletooth said:

the beste parte wase the semipalimatted pluvere caulle in oppening seenes!         :)

Pure Gold Snaggs.

4 hours ago, Snaggletooth said:

I gesse we juste miste it, sorrey Grande Mastere Dreade!

( I licke 'GMD' foure you!)                           :)

i am just a servent of the hive!

2 minutes ago, dreaded said:

i am just a servent of the hive!

You will be assimilated.....

15 hours ago, B.J. Porter said:

I hadn't heard this one. I knew the rights have been sold, swapped, and traded around since the 70s.

SyFy has done some great stuff (and some utter garbage...) so they could do this right.

http://ew.com/article/2013/04/10/ringworld-syfy/

Hmm, four hours is not much time. The Kzin will need another movie of their own, maybe a prequel.

The movie world loved Robert Heinlein, after Destination Moon (which I did not think was a great movie, pretty good for it's time) they bought all his books. Most will unfortunately never see light of day; most would make good movies if you could crop the storyline & characters enough to fit in the short time.

-DSK

My Stepmother Is An Alien.

I may have missed it but no mention of It Came from Outer-space?

And with all you SciFi whack jobs, no love for Rocky Horror Picture Show?

My top 2 would be;

Eraser Head

Greaser's Palace

On 8/9/2017 at 7:27 PM, artie_pitt said:

Oh my.......

Oh 

My

8 hours ago, Steam Flyer said:

Hmm, four hours is not much time. The Kzin will need another movie of their own, maybe a prequel.

The movie world loved Robert Heinlein, after Destination Moon (which I did not think was a great movie, pretty good for it's time) they bought all his books. Most will unfortunately never see light of day; most would make good movies if you could crop the storyline & characters enough to fit in the short time.

-DSK

Ringworld could easily be a series that goes on forever.

56 minutes ago, B.J. Porter said:

With spinoffs.

Hat, coat...

1 hour ago, B.J. Porter said:

Except for that whole metastable orbit thing. 

13 minutes ago, IStream said:
1 hour ago, B.J. Porter said:

Except for that whole metastable orbit thing. 

That was sorted...

Just to throw out a few from the 80s teenager market. 

Predator.    The Alian invader is just a redneck out hunting,

They live, just for this line.   

John Carpenter's "The Thing".  The 1982 one.

The Fly. The Jeff Goldblum one.

18 hours ago, Ishmael said:
19 hours ago, B.J. Porter said:

With spinoffs.

Hat, coat...

Hah

I guess you think you won the Birthright Lottery, here

-DSK

5 hours ago, Steam Flyer said:

Hah

I guess you think you won the Birthright Lottery, here

-DSK

Teela Brown I am not.

"How many assholes do we have on this ship, anyway?"

spaceballs_1987_13.jpg

I heard that Al Gore has a new one coming out..

Thx for referring to EX MACHINA. Nicely done, with lots of reminders  of other sci-fi movies 

here is my problem with The Martian: the character played by Damon was a Botanist.

a) now sending a botanist as a mission specialist is logical but they would have also send the gear for the botanist to grow stuff!

b ) but the botanist had no botany equipment so he had to "science the shit out of this" but everybody on a space mission will be a scientist and have the knowledge to jury rig the botany stuff...no need to make him a botanist.

c) they sent a botanist to mars with no botany equipment but they did send several rolls of poly sheeting!  gak!

Oh, for the simpler times of the Science Fiction genre....

On 9/14/2017 at 10:01 AM, chester said:

here is my problem with The Martian: the character played by Damon was a Botanist.

a) now sending a botanist as a mission specialist is logical but they would have also send the gear for the botanist to grow stuff!

b ) but the botanist had no botany equipment so he had to "science the shit out of this" but everybody on a space mission will be a scientist and have the knowledge to jury rig the botany stuff...no need to make him a botanist.

c) they sent a botanist to mars with no botany equipment but they did send several rolls of poly sheeting!  gak!

wtf is botany equipment?  maybe a microscope? watering pail? large book to press leaves?

38 minutes ago, Grande Mastere Dreade said:

wtf is botany equipment?  maybe a microscope? watering pail? large book to press leaves?

38 minutes ago, Grande Mastere Dreade said:

seeds, soil, some way to produce water...things that would allow a botanist to grow stuff? It's a bit odd that the movie made him a botanist anyway.  botany is the STUDY of plants...horticulture and agronomy about growing stuff.  but they made the movie in which a big part was a guy jury rigging a garden on mars and made a point of him being a plant guy.  but he seemed to have no equipment related to growing stuff but he did have several rolls of construction poly!

Splendid choices most all.  Gotta love the "I'm here to chew bubblegum" line from They Live.

One I just saw recently, over a decade old, and then had to watch it twice to make sure I got it.

Primer

Extremely low budget, made the guys a goodly amount I think.  And it's very, very good.  Don't know why it took me a dozen years to ever see it. 

Primer.

If you're into that whole space time continuum thing.