• Announcements

    • Zapata

      Abbreviated rules   07/28/2017

      Underdawg did an excellent job of explaining the rules.  Here's the simplified version: Don't insinuate Pedo.  Warning and or timeout for a first offense.  PermaFlick for any subsequent offenses Don't out members.  See above for penalties.  Caveat:  if you have ever used your own real name or personal information here on the forums since, like, ever - it doesn't count and you are fair game. If you see spam posts, report it to the mods.  We do not hang out in every thread 24/7 If you see any of the above, report it to the mods by hitting the Report button in the offending post.   We do not take action for foul language, off-subject content, or abusive behavior unless it escalates to persistent stalking.  There may be times that we might warn someone or flick someone for something particularly egregious.  There is no standard, we will know it when we see it.  If you continually report things that do not fall into rules #1 or 2 above, you may very well get a timeout yourself for annoying the Mods with repeated whining.  Use your best judgement. Warnings, timeouts, suspensions and flicks are arbitrary and capricious.  Deal with it.  Welcome to anarchy.   If you are a newbie, there are unwritten rules to adhere to.  They will be explained to you soon enough.  
Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
Point Break

Best Science Fiction Movies

97 posts in this topic

So the Godzilla thread had me wander back through some old sci fi movies from my childhood wondering which were best. Certainly "best" will depend on your age.......but some standouts for me were:

  1. "It From Beyond Space"........scared the shit out of me as a kid. Monster aboard the spacecraft. Said to be the creative forerunner of "Alien".
  2. "Them"........giant frigging ants in LA..........sheesh.....
  3. "The Attack of the 40 Foot Woman".........she was one pissed off chick. This one has to be in the sci fi comedy category.
  4. "To Serve Man"......Twilight Zone episode......"it's a cookbook!!"......pretty cool.

But my favorite of ALL TIME......1951 "The Day the Earth Stood Still". Do not......I repeat Do Not f with Klattu or Gort will have your ass..........

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Bladerunner

Galaxy Quest

Space Balls

2001 Space Oddity

Brazil

12 Monkeys

Dune

5th Element

Alien

Soylent Green

War of the Worlds original

The Omega Man

Red Dwarf 

The Ten Commandments

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Don't forget Firefly and the Battlestar Galactica remake. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Loved the BSG T series remake. 

Blade runner was a great flick.

I've alwasy been a Star Trek guy personally.. 

loved the Alien movies. (even the newest ones)

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Mars Attacks

images.jpg

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Never seen a reference to this movie in all these years. I was living in Taiwan 1950's and a friend had a uncle who was a Commander of a USN ship visiting down island we went on a weekend adventure to spend the weekend aboard....I saw this aboard in the crew mess watching on a pop up  listening to the projector...scared the crap out of me...

The X Unknown

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2 hours ago, Rum Runner said:

 

+1 this was shown with PT109 when I was a kid. I had nightmares for years. Freaked out every time the bushes rustled after dark...

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

My Favorite Alien

The Newick 40 tri in the background that is. The sail number was '2001'.

We had T-shirts with a graphic of the tri and the sail number and the slogan,

'Offshore, no one can hear you scream...'

Image result for hull shape power catamaran vs sailing catamaran

    

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
34 minutes ago, familysailor said:

+1 this was shown with PT109 when I was a kid. I had nightmares for years. Freaked out every time the bushes rustled after dark...

 

That was my experiance with the movie "It Terror From Beyond Space" hit me as a kid. Mars monster crawling around the space ship killing the crew one by one........scared the shit out of me.

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

2001 is in a class by itself at #1 - everything else is fighting over second place.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

2001

2010

 Dreamcatcher (Stephen King)

Firefly ( I had not watched the series first)

Star Wars

Avatar

Dark Skies

 

WL

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
9 minutes ago, SloopJonB said:

2001 is in a class by itself at #1 - everything else is fighting over second place.

It's top 3 for certain..........

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, SloopJonB said:

2001 is in a class by itself at #1 - everything else is fighting over second place.

+1. I didn't even read the rest.

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
6 hours ago, Marcjsmith said:

Loved the BSG T series remake. 

Blade runner was a great flick.

I've alwasy been a Star Trek guy personally.. 

loved the Alien movies. (even the newest ones)

 

Other movies not mentioned, but probably worth a watch;

Frtz Lang's - Metropolis

Steamboy

THX1138

Akira

Logan's Run

 

 

 

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
3 hours ago, SloopJonB said:

2001 is in a class by itself at #1 - everything else is fighting over second place.

yup

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Robot Monster

The Crawling Eye

Mystery Science Theatre 3000

Godzilla 

The Man Who Fell to Earth

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Never get tired of watching this movie....

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
3 hours ago, Rule69 said:

 

I tell all my friends about Dark Star and they think I am crazy......Until they see it themselves.

Started as a USC film scholol project. Made by John Carpenter and the guy who wrote the screenplay for Alien

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Event Horizon - brilliant

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Not necessarily in order:

Planet of the Apes (get your hands off me you damn dirty ape!)

Terminator

Aliens 1 & 2

Blade Runner

The Matrix 

Star Wars & Empire Strikes back  (the rest were shit)

The Martian

Interstellar

Avatar

Gravity

They don't count because the thread is about movies, but Battlestar Galactica (the new one) and Star Trek Next Gen are/were by far the best SciFi TV going.

My absolute sorta scifi/monster movie as a kid was the "Creature from the Black Lagoon".  I spent many a Sat afternoon watching that over and over again.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Terminator was a great movie, with the benefit of having never been a book.

I'm one of those insufferable people who never saw a movie that was as good as the book. Most sci-fi movies made from books I like, such as Starship Troopers, I never bother to see because it's going to be a disappointment. Blade Runner was a good movie but it was missing all the socio-economic issues that made the book important as well as entertaining. The movie Dune ruined the book Dune for me.

It's a shame because some books would make fantastic movies... Door into Summer, Ringworld, Footfall.... probably never going to happen.

-DSK

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Saturday afternoon scary movies in LA.......Elvira.........some of you know what I mean.........

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

The 1st ALIEN; BLADE RUNNER; WESTWORLD; after reading the book, 2001 (movie) made sense; DAY THE EARTH STOOD STILL; some of the STAR TREK franchise;  METROPOLIS; 20k LEAGUES (James Mason); 

 

--wait. Elvira. Yum.  Whatever she's watching. 

 

vCStNEqb.jpg

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
9 hours ago, MKF said:

Event Horizon - brilliant

wat

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2 hours ago, Steam Flyer said:

Terminator was a great movie, with the benefit of having never been a book.

I'm one of those insufferable people who never saw a movie that was as good as the book. Most sci-fi movies made from books I like, such as Starship Troopers, I never bother to see because it's going to be a disappointment. Blade Runner was a good movie but it was missing all the socio-economic issues that made the book important as well as entertaining. The movie Dune ruined the book Dune for me.

It's a shame because some books would make fantastic movies... Door into Summer, Ringworld, Footfall.... probably never going to happen.

-DSK

How so , the movie pretty much stayed true to the story..

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 8/9/2017 at 8:35 AM, IStream said:

Don't forget Firefly and the Battlestar Galactica remake. 

The BSG remake may be one of the most realistic space stories written.

If you have not seen the Caprica prequel series, released after BSG, watch it. Also a very plausible scifi story line about game addiction and it's outcome.
It's only 4 seasons so you can watch it pretty quickly. Not sure which service is hosting it.

15 hours ago, cyclone said:

Robot Monster

The Crawling Eye

Mystery Science Theatre 3000

Godzilla 

The Man Who Fell to Earth

Finally, more than half way thru the thread some one lists "The Man who fell to Earth". If you ever wondered where our tech came from, watch this one.
Rip Torn is so young in this movie and Bowie is great. Even aliens love pussy and alcohol.

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

No-one has mentioned Plan Nine From Outer Space.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2 hours ago, dreaded said:
5 hours ago, Steam Flyer said:

...   ...   ...   The movie Dune ruined the book Dune for me....     ...    ...
 

How so , the movie pretty much stayed true to the story..

Long time ago, but as I recall it was extremely hammy, and extremely boring, and the spaceships looked like electric shavers. IIRC I went with a girl who wanted to see Sting in a movie (this was long before I met Mrs Steam) and she was repulsed... that may have influenced my opinion in the aftermath. When I first read the book Dune I thought it was awesome.

If the movie had been great, all the sequels ("Grandchildren of the 2nd Cousin of Dune's ex-Mailman") would have killed it in the end.

-DSK

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

If this list grows any longer, it's going to look more like a list of most of the science fiction movies, not just 'the best'....  but I'm ok with that...

 

Silent Running

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

The original "body snatchers" was terrifying. Afraid to sleep for months.... kept looking at my friends for signs of the snatched

 

1956 version...

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Just now, oldgoatroper said:

If this list grows any longer, it's going to look more like a list of most of the science fiction movies, not just 'the best'....  but I'm ok with that...

 

Silent Running

 

Finally!

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

2001?

Good on you guys who could stay awake through the whole thing.  I tried and failed numerous times, I guess I kept thinking the good part was during my previous naps.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

The Day The Earth Stood Still - I remember this as one of the very first movies I saw.  Still with me today, decades later.  Fantastic stuff!!!!

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
28 minutes ago, pbd said:

2001?

Good on you guys who could stay awake through the whole thing.  I tried and failed numerous times, I guess I kept thinking the good part was during my previous naps.

the beste parte wase the semipalimatted pluvere caulle in oppening seenes!         :)

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2 hours ago, pbd said:

2001?

Good on you guys who could stay awake through the whole thing.  I tried and failed numerous times, I guess I kept thinking the good part was during my previous naps.

Apparently you didn't drop enough acid.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

In the traditional sense and excluding cowboy, cops and robbers, and other genres set in space and/or post apocalyptic earth based movies my list is in this order:

The martian

2001

Contact

Outland

Silent running

2010

Alien

 

Post apocalyptic and/or futuristic earth based films:

Thx1138

a boy and his dog

Le dernier combat

Blade runner

mad max

The quiet earth

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

District 9 is pretty amazing considering it's budget.

Do you count Inception as scifi?

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
18 hours ago, dreaded said:
20 hours ago, Steam Flyer said:

The movie Dune ruined the book Dune for me.

How so , the movie pretty much stayed true to the story..

I agree with steamers.  The movie was total shite!  As much as I loved the book, the movie left a bad taste in my mouth for that title.  

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
8 hours ago, Chris in Santa Cruz, CA said:

Thx1138

Bob Falfa's lisense platte (allmoest)           

:)

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 8/10/2017 at 1:25 AM, dreaded said:

Bladerunner

Galaxy Quest

Space Balls

2001 Space Oddity

Brazil

12 Monkeys

Dune - I hope you are referring to the miniseries w/ William Hurt and not to that incoherent mess David Lynch made.

5th Element

Alien

Soylent Green

War of the Worlds original

The Omega Man

Red Dwarf 

The Ten Commandments

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
22 hours ago, Shootist Jeff said:

Not necessarily in order:

Planet of the Apes (get your hands off me you damn dirty ape!)

Terminator

Aliens 1 & 2

Blade Runner

The Matrix 

Star Wars & Empire Strikes back  (the rest were shit)

The Martian

Interstellar

Avatar

Gravity This movie annoyed the cap out of me because the physics were so stupid.

They don't count because the thread is about movies, but Battlestar Galactica (the new one) and Star Trek Next Gen are/were by far the best SciFi TV going.

My absolute sorta scifi/monster movie as a kid was the "Creature from the Black Lagoon".  I spent many a Sat afternoon watching that over and over again.

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

You all need to start watching The Expanse if you haven't been.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, Shootist Jeff said:
19 hours ago, dreaded said:
22 hours ago, Steam Flyer said:

The movie Dune ruined the book Dune for me.

How so , the movie pretty much stayed true to the story..

I agree with steamers.  The movie was total shite!  As much as I loved the book, the movie left a bad taste in my mouth for that title.  

I can get past the shitty movie. Rewatched it a while back to see it it was 17 year old me hating it because I was an immature twit... And no, my judgement at 17 was spot on with this one and Indiana Jones and the Temple of Dumb. Both garbage.

Try the mini-series with William Hurt as Leto Atreides. Much better take on it, and closer to the book.

I have no problem re-reading every few years.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
22 hours ago, Steam Flyer said:

Terminator was a great movie, with the benefit of having never been a book.

I'm one of those insufferable people who never saw a movie that was as good as the book. Most sci-fi movies made from books I like, such as Starship Troopers, I never bother to see because it's going to be a disappointment. Blade Runner was a good movie but it was missing all the socio-economic issues that made the book important as well as entertaining. The movie Dune ruined the book Dune for me.

It's a shame because some books would make fantastic movies... Door into Summer, Ringworld, Footfall.... probably never going to happen.

-DSK

I hear there's a Ringworld in the works...but that rumer has been around since forever, I suppose.

If you recognize that the movie Starship Troopers basically shares a title, some character names, and little else, it's actually a fun and funny movie. Even if Denise Richards isn't the one that gets nekkid.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
14 minutes ago, B.J. Porter said:

I hear there's a Ringworld in the works...but that rumer has been around since forever, I suppose.

If you recognize that the movie Starship Troopers basically shares a title, some character names, and little else, it's actually a fun and funny movie. Even if Denise Richards isn't the one that gets nekkid.

I guess I'm pretty isolated from the world of entertainment. Never heard rumors of a Ringworld movie, that could be really great... ought to be a trilogy, really, there's just too much there to be one movie. Teela would be a difficult character to portray, she's neither a bimbette nor a heroine.

I'll try watching Starship Troopers with the attitude you suggest... I never did actually watch it and should give it a chance. But the out-takes and everything I heard about it, including positive impressions from friends, left me with the impression that it's not a movie I'd enjoy.... should give it a chance. The book is a piece of commercial adolescent jingoist fantasy, but IMHO it's still the best coming-of-age book with some fairly serious philosophy. Why would a film maker buy rights to a book and then not use it?

-DSK

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
27 minutes ago, B.J. Porter said:

I can get past the shitty movie. Rewatched it a while back to see it it was 17 year old me hating it because I was an immature twit... And no, my judgement at 17 was spot on with this one and Indiana Jones and the Temple of Dumb. Both garbage.

Try the mini-series with William Hurt as Leto Atreides. Much better take on it, and closer to the book.

I have no problem re-reading every few years.

Hah! I thought 'Raiders Of The Lost Ark' was a great movie... watched it with Mrs Steam one night a few years back, I'd forgotten how violent it was and apologized about half way thru (she had never seen it) and she said, no biggie, this is COOL!!! But a sequel? To literally and physically summoning the Wrath of God?!?? But the one with Sean Connery was pretty good too. "He chose... unwisely" is still a good comeback line.

I will also check out the Dune mini-series, never heard of that one.

-DSK

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
23 hours ago, Steam Flyer said:

Terminator was a great movie, with the benefit of having never been a book.

I'm one of those insufferable people who never saw a movie that was as good as the book. Most sci-fi movies made from books I like, such as Starship Troopers, I never bother to see because it's going to be a disappointment. Blade Runner was a good movie but it was missing all the socio-economic issues that made the book important as well as entertaining. The movie Dune ruined the book Dune for me.

It's a shame because some books would make fantastic movies... Door into Summer, Ringworld, Footfall.... probably never going to happen.

-DSK

I'm with you on wanting to see Ringworld or Footfall.  My only concern is that those, and pretty much anything from Niven and/or Pournelle,  is sort of like the Dune series in that each book has a scope that will probably have difficulty translating into a movie/mini-series format. I'd probably still go watch it though.

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Wind

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Forbidden Planet, it broke so many barriers at the time.

Interesting how many Philip K Dick stories have made the big screen, superb talent there.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2 hours ago, Steam Flyer said:

Hah! I thought 'Raiders Of The Lost Ark' was a great movie... watched it with Mrs Steam one night a few years back, I'd forgotten how violent it was and apologized about half way thru (she had never seen it) and she said, no biggie, this is COOL!!! But a sequel? To literally and physically summoning the Wrath of God?!?? But the one with Sean Connery was pretty good too. "He chose... unwisely" is still a good comeback line.

I will also check out the Dune mini-series, never heard of that one.

-DSK

good action flick except it has the biggest plot hole of all time, indiana jones had no affect on the outcome of the arc.. if he had done nothing, the germans would have still died..  lol..

 

and fuck you twats who didn't like Dune..

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2 hours ago, Steam Flyer said:

 But the one with Sean Connery was pretty good too. "He chose... unwisely" is still a good comeback line.

-DSK

 

 

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

The one old scifi movie that no one has mentioned is the original War of the Worlds from the 50s.  This was another mainstay movie for me as a kid on Sat afternoons.  Loved it!

war-of-the-worlds-1953.jpg

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2 minutes ago, Shootist Jeff said:

The one old scifi movie that no one has mentioned is the original War of the Worlds from the 50s.  This was another mainstay movie for me as a kid on Sat afternoons.  Loved it!

war-of-the-worlds-1953.jpg

That version was awesome. Good call! 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
7 hours ago, Steam Flyer said:

I guess I'm pretty isolated from the world of entertainment. Never heard rumors of a Ringworld movie, that could be really great... ought to be a trilogy, really, there's just too much there to be one movie. Teela would be a difficult character to portray, she's neither a bimbette nor a heroine.

I'll try watching Starship Troopers with the attitude you suggest... I never did actually watch it and should give it a chance. But the out-takes and everything I heard about it, including positive impressions from friends, left me with the impression that it's not a movie I'd enjoy.... should give it a chance. The book is a piece of commercial adolescent jingoist fantasy, but IMHO it's still the best coming-of-age book with some fairly serious philosophy. Why would a film maker buy rights to a book and then not use it?

-DSK

The Starship Troopers movie is often unrecognized for the satire that it is. It's violent and occasionally graphic and gruesome. A lot of jingoism in both book and movie, but pointed a different way.

I think the concept of young soldiers fighting a war against bugs is what appealed...but then someone else owned Ender's Game.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 8/10/2017 at 2:51 PM, familysailor said:

The original "body snatchers" was terrifying. Afraid to sleep for months.... kept looking at my friends for signs of the snatched

 

1956 version...

 

Verily So.     Best ever. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
7 hours ago, Steam Flyer said:

I guess I'm pretty isolated from the world of entertainment. Never heard rumors of a Ringworld movie, that could be really great... ought to be a trilogy, really, there's just too much there to be one movie. Teela would be a difficult character to portray, she's neither a bimbette nor a heroine.

I'll try watching Starship Troopers with the attitude you suggest... I never did actually watch it and should give it a chance. But the out-takes and everything I heard about it, including positive impressions from friends, left me with the impression that it's not a movie I'd enjoy.... should give it a chance. The book is a piece of commercial adolescent jingoist fantasy, but IMHO it's still the best coming-of-age book with some fairly serious philosophy. Why would a film maker buy rights to a book and then not use it?

-DSK

I hadn't heard this one. I knew the rights have been sold, swapped, and traded around since the 70s.

SyFy has done some great stuff (and some utter garbage...) so they could do this right.

http://ew.com/article/2013/04/10/ringworld-syfy/

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
4 hours ago, Shootist Jeff said:

The one old scifi movie that no one has mentioned is the original War of the Worlds from the 50s.  This was another mainstay movie for me as a kid on Sat afternoons.  Loved it!

war-of-the-worlds-1953.jpg

see post #2

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
11 minutes ago, dreaded said:

see post #2

I gesse we juste miste it, sorrey Grande Mastere Dreade!

 

( I licke 'GMD' foure you!)                           :)

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 8/10/2017 at 7:25 PM, Snaggletooth said:

the beste parte wase the semipalimatted pluvere caulle in oppening seenes!         :)

Pure Gold Snaggs.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
4 hours ago, Snaggletooth said:

I gesse we juste miste it, sorrey Grande Mastere Dreade!

 

( I licke 'GMD' foure you!)                           :)

i am just a servent of the hive!

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2 minutes ago, dreaded said:

i am just a servent of the hive!

You will be assimilated.....

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
15 hours ago, B.J. Porter said:

I hadn't heard this one. I knew the rights have been sold, swapped, and traded around since the 70s.

SyFy has done some great stuff (and some utter garbage...) so they could do this right.

http://ew.com/article/2013/04/10/ringworld-syfy/

Hmm, four hours is not much time. The Kzin will need another movie of their own, maybe a prequel.

The movie world loved Robert Heinlein, after Destination Moon (which I did not think was a great movie, pretty good for it's time) they bought all his books. Most will unfortunately never see light of day; most would make good movies if you could crop the storyline & characters enough to fit in the short time.

-DSK

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

My Stepmother Is An Alien.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I may have missed it but no mention of It Came from Outer-space?

And with all you SciFi whack jobs, no love for Rocky Horror Picture Show?

My top 2 would be;

Eraser Head

Greaser's Palace

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 8/9/2017 at 7:27 PM, artie_pitt said:

Oh my.......

Oh 

 

My

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
8 hours ago, Steam Flyer said:

Hmm, four hours is not much time. The Kzin will need another movie of their own, maybe a prequel.

The movie world loved Robert Heinlein, after Destination Moon (which I did not think was a great movie, pretty good for it's time) they bought all his books. Most will unfortunately never see light of day; most would make good movies if you could crop the storyline & characters enough to fit in the short time.

-DSK

Ringworld could easily be a series that goes on forever.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
56 minutes ago, B.J. Porter said:

Ringworld could easily be a series that goes on forever.

With spinoffs.

 

 

 

 

Hat, coat...

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, B.J. Porter said:

Ringworld could easily be a series that goes on forever.

Except for that whole metastable orbit thing. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
13 minutes ago, IStream said:
1 hour ago, B.J. Porter said:

Ringworld could easily be a series that goes on forever.

Except for that whole metastable orbit thing. 

That was sorted...

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Just to throw out a few from the 80s teenager market. 

Predator.    The Alian invader is just a redneck out hunting,

They live, just for this line.   

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

John Carpenter's "The Thing".  The 1982 one.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

The Fly. The Jeff Goldblum one.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
18 hours ago, Ishmael said:
19 hours ago, B.J. Porter said:

Ringworld could easily be a series that goes on forever.

With spinoffs.

 

 

 

 

Hat, coat...

Hah

I guess you think you won the Birthright Lottery, here

-DSK

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
5 hours ago, Steam Flyer said:

Hah

I guess you think you won the Birthright Lottery, here

-DSK

Teela Brown I am not.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

"How many assholes do we have on this ship, anyway?"

 

spaceballs_1987_13.jpg

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I heard that Al Gore has a new one coming out..

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Thx for referring to EX MACHINA. Nicely done, with lots of reminders  of other sci-fi movies 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

here is my problem with The Martian: the character played by Damon was a Botanist.

a) now sending a botanist as a mission specialist is logical but they would have also send the gear for the botanist to grow stuff!

b ) but the botanist had no botany equipment so he had to "science the shit out of this" but everybody on a space mission will be a scientist and have the knowledge to jury rig the botany stuff...no need to make him a botanist.

c) they sent a botanist to mars with no botany equipment but they did send several rolls of poly sheeting!  gak!

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Oh, for the simpler times of the Science Fiction genre....

 

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 9/14/2017 at 10:01 AM, chester said:

here is my problem with The Martian: the character played by Damon was a Botanist.

a) now sending a botanist as a mission specialist is logical but they would have also send the gear for the botanist to grow stuff!

b ) but the botanist had no botany equipment so he had to "science the shit out of this" but everybody on a space mission will be a scientist and have the knowledge to jury rig the botany stuff...no need to make him a botanist.

c) they sent a botanist to mars with no botany equipment but they did send several rolls of poly sheeting!  gak!

wtf is botany equipment?  maybe a microscope? watering pail? large book to press leaves?

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
38 minutes ago, Grande Mastere Dreade said:

wtf is botany equipment?  maybe a microscope? watering pail? large book to press leaves?

 

38 minutes ago, Grande Mastere Dreade said:

wtf is botany equipment?  maybe a microscope? watering pail? large book to press leaves?

seeds, soil, some way to produce water...things that would allow a botanist to grow stuff? It's a bit odd that the movie made him a botanist anyway.  botany is the STUDY of plants...horticulture and agronomy about growing stuff.  but they made the movie in which a big part was a guy jury rigging a garden on mars and made a point of him being a plant guy.  but he seemed to have no equipment related to growing stuff but he did have several rolls of construction poly!

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites


Splendid choices most all.  Gotta love the "I'm here to chew bubblegum" line from They Live.

One I just saw recently, over a decade old, and then had to watch it twice to make sure I got it.

Primer

Extremely low budget, made the guys a goodly amount I think.  And it's very, very good.  Don't know why it took me a dozen years to ever see it. 

Primer.

If you're into that whole space time continuum thing.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!


Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.


Sign In Now
Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0