• Announcements

• Zapata

Abbreviated rules   07/28/2017

Underdawg did an excellent job of explaining the rules.  Here's the simplified version: Don't insinuate Pedo.  Warning and or timeout for a first offense.  PermaFlick for any subsequent offenses Don't out members.  See above for penalties.  Caveat:  if you have ever used your own real name or personal information here on the forums since, like, ever - it doesn't count and you are fair game. If you see spam posts, report it to the mods.  We do not hang out in every thread 24/7 If you see any of the above, report it to the mods by hitting the Report button in the offending post.   We do not take action for foul language, off-subject content, or abusive behavior unless it escalates to persistent stalking.  There may be times that we might warn someone or flick someone for something particularly egregious.  There is no standard, we will know it when we see it.  If you continually report things that do not fall into rules #1 or 2 above, you may very well get a timeout yourself for annoying the Mods with repeated whining.  Use your best judgement. Warnings, timeouts, suspensions and flicks are arbitrary and capricious.  Deal with it.  Welcome to anarchy.   If you are a newbie, there are unwritten rules to adhere to.  They will be explained to you soon enough.  

Looking at the start of the 2nd leg of Leg 0 I remembered the VOR on Virtual Regatta a bunch of us participated in during the last edition of the VOR.  I then went on the Virtual Regatta website and saw they are not doing a VOR Leg 0 this time around.  Anyone know why?  I remember starting in the middle of Leg 0 last time so I expected one for this edition.  

WetHog  :ph34r:

I've been quite active at Virtual Regatta since the last VORG...  I've been the #1 US player in their world rankings for more than a year now, won three races so far in 2017, and was #6 in the overall world rankings as of a month ago.  The thing is...  They just introduced an entirely new version of the game.  You can no longer pay a flat fee in "credits" up front to race unlimited, and there's also not entirely such a thing as playing without options.  They give you some credits for free when you start, and for finishing, and then you can spend credits on individual upgrades pre-race, as well as on "cards" during the game.  You can also get free "cards" every 5 hours.  The cards are for stealth mode, forecast viewing, "programmation" (scheduled maneuvers), waypoints, and auto-sails.  You can't explicitly buy the cards you need, though...  there's some randomness to it.

So...  it's becoming a bit more like a Clash of Clans style game, trying to reward players who are online and addicted 24/7, and less like real sailing.  I'm still playing for the moment, but I'm undecided for the long term.  The thing is...  your finish bonus is bigger the better you finish, and I went 3-2 in the last two races (and I'll finish one tomorrow that will likely be another top 5, maybe a 1), so I'm running a profit on credits.  So...  I'm going to keep playing as long as I'm doing well enough to run a profit.  They'll probably up the prices eventually, and then I'll probably quit as soon as my credits run out.  I don't want to play a game where I have to make monetary decisions after the start.

Anyway, they're running a race called Zanzib right now, and the Mini Transat starts Sunday.  Then the Clipper Race will start before VOR.  So anyone wanting to do VORG might want to give it a try in one of those races first, to get a feel for the game and to decide whether or not you can live with this style of interface and still enjoy playing VORG.  My guess is that half the SA people who did the last VORG will bail out.  The new version will be more appealing to 12-year-olds than serious sailors.  But...  if you don't get to agitated about the stupid card game thing and just play it old-style, you can still enjoy it and may be able to do it at lower cost than the old VORG.

To answer the question: Will there be a VORG?  Rumors are flying among the top racers.  To summarize my interpretation...  There will definitely be a VORG...  probably with Virtual Regatta but not guaranteed...  we're guessing it hasn't been announced formally because contracts aren't signed yet...  and VOR appears to have higher-priority concerns in the short term.

The forums and groups are also inactive at this time.  Both will probably be activated before the Clipper Race.  Virtual Regatta tends to shut those things down when they introduce new things.  I think it's probably to keep people from freaking out collectively...  Better from their perspective to force users to get used to the changes before allowing us to discuss.

If you log in, you'll see that I'm actually ranked #2 in the world right now.  When Zanzib Leg 2 is closed, I'll probably move to #1.  For the record, I'm not happy about that.  When they introduced the new version, they re-did the scoring system, and they re-initialized everyone's world ranking scores.  The top 100 were all re-scored to be 1 point apart from each other.  #'s 1 and 2 had leads of something like 600,000 points over me at #6.  I wasn't going to catch them anytime soon.  But after the reset, I happened to go 3-2 in two races right away...  and passed them immediately.  So yeah...  I'm about to be #1...  but I haven't properly earned it yet.

A couple more positive things to be aware of about the newer version of the game...  The winds evolve continuously now, interpolated between the GFS forecasts, rather than being a defined constant that suddenly changes once every 12 hours.  And the latest version updates every minute instead of every 10 minutes, so it's almost realtime.

And another negative...  they don't provide the polars anymore, so you can't figure out in advance which sails you'll need for what angles unless you reverse-engineer the whole thing (which I haven't attempted to do).

Thanks for the inside info, Mom, I've really been struggling with the new format - seems much buggier etc. Are there any alternatives?

EDIT: And congrats on the ranking!

Has VR fixed the Newport RI overlay yet? The last go-around there was a square rotated 45 degrees blocking out Newport. 

Regarding bugginess, keep in mind they just launched this new version at the beginning of September, and they've run a handful of small races essentially as beta tests.  I'm hopeful that we'll see some improvements between now and the start of VORG, assuming VORG happens with VR.

On the other hand, VR still has their share of game management issues.  In Zanzib leg 2, there was an island being treated as a mark of the course with no indication.  When they closed access to leg 2, they accidentally also briefly closed leg 3, resulting in everyone's pre-scheduled maneuvers being cancelled.  It seems unlikely that mistakes like these will cease, but one can always hope.  The good news is...  the servers are stable now.  I think hosted by a third party with dynamic capacity.  I haven't seen the game crash at a start, even for big events.

Regarding Newport, looks like yes, they've fixed it.  It still looks wrong when zoomed out, but when you zoom in, it looks right.

BTW - They've implemented a minimum windspeed.  Currently set to 4.0 kts, but they say they can adjust it by race.  Hopefully it'll be 1.0 or less for VORG.  Otherwise the doldrums will be a joke.

2 hours ago, DRIFTW00D said:

I’m in but no race listed on the VR iOS app? Let us know if they post a VOR game at VR...

Prologue starts October 8.  It'll probably show up on the app somewhere around October 5 or 6.

I'll probably sit this one out. Mainly all to do with trying to get my sleep patterns back in to working order, ie sleeping through the night. Playing this game again will truly muck that up completely.

And besides they're not turning left at Cape Town this time around so my protest of the change in route for the last 3 VOR's via my boat name, NoLeftTurnatCapeTown, has become redundant. It's nice to have a win after so many years. Hopefully the real boats will be sailing by close to home this time around. I'm guessing they will be tracking north towards the South coast of WA to keep them closer to rescue if required but descriptions on Leg 3 route on VOR are a bit vague.

Im trying the Mini game. Not sure about the changes. Seems a more pay to play game. And get your alarm set to 5 hrs to play free cards. Taking away the forecast sucks. Windy.com could fill in the wind forecast.  

4 hours ago, DRIFTW00D said:

Im trying the Mini game. Not sure about the changes. Seems a more pay to play game. And get your alarm set to 5 hrs to play free cards. Taking away the forecast sucks. Windy.com could fill in the wind forecast.  

You pretty much nailed it.

I think I was leading Mini, or within the top 3-4 spots, around 2 AM Central US time while sleeping last night.  But...  I forgot to play an Autosails card, so I sailed 4 hours downwind under Code Zero while the rest of the lead pack put 2-3 miles on me.  F'ing stupid card game.  I have plenty of Autosails cards.  Just forgot to play one.

Ive just dropped into the mini race, can't for the life of me work out what is going on. I will persevere for a while. I'm up in the air if I can handle the interface, had wrong sail up for a full day so far.

By the way Mom, congrats on the ranking!

WTF! Weather Forecast Visualization?

How do you refresh the fleet, they don't move till you press the other boat. Hmmm...

I tend to exit the game to the home screen and re-enter regularly.  Per Stu's point, while your own boat moves once per minute, the rest of the boats only update when you click on them (unless you exit and re-enter).

About the wind...  yeah...  you have to play a card to see the forecast.  Once you play it, I believe you'll be able to see the forecasted winds for 2 hours.  (Two hours of being able to see all forecasts, not unlimited view of 2 hours of forecast).  So...  if you don't want to use Zezo or anything else like that, you wind up having to play forecast cards regularly.  And on the other hand, if you use something like Zezo, you wind up ignoring the forecast cards and going with what you see elsewhere.  Unfortunately, I think it's driving the natural behavior more toward tools like Zezo rather than less...  Between the need to play cards to see forecasts and the need to play cards to plot hypothetical routes, it's difficult to come up with quality plans independently from tools like Zezo.

One thing to keep in mind...  you get credits granted to you...  a start bonus just for entering the race...  and a finish bonus based on your final position...  and then something like 10 credits back per unplayed card.  So...  if you wind up needing to buy some cards, that doesn't necessarily mean your net outlay at the end of the race will be more than before this whole new concept.  That's what I'm trying to personally evaluate now.  If I can race competitively with a net outlay that's less than the old fixed cost, then I'll do so and try to forget how stupid the whole card game thing is.  If I need to spend more than the old fixed cost to compete, then I'll quit.  Simple as that.  So far, I'm running a net profit, though.

Sweet, thanks for the Zezo tip - looking at it now. Seems like a handy tool.

Mini Transat is my first race, haven't spent any money. Doing clipper now too.

Is there a 'sailing anarchy' yacht club we can join to track each other / compete in the game? 

VR has "Groups" and we usually assemble a SA group.  But they shut down their forums and the groups when they introduced the new version.  They routinely do that when they launch something people might not like.  They'll probably bring both back eventually...  once they think everyone has had time to get over it and play the new version without using their forum to vent anger, etc.

Clipper appears to be using either Volvo or IMOCA boats.  No way a real Clipper would do the speeds these virtual boats are doing.

Thanks for your help  Mom. I see there is a delete button when you do the programmed course. Not sure if you get your card refunded!

I agree, this is forcing use of a router. Wish I could see if anyone has had any luck outputting boat position to OpenCPN,  VRtools or Zezo. The forum you could at least get some idea what the French gurus were doing!

Lack of polars is very frustrating. At least I have a gybe programmed now...

Capture.JPG

Just tried to log onto Prologue for VOR. IF i pick every option on loading page it is going to cost 1720 credits. Is there anything else to select to get full options?

I guess if you don't buy the foils option you go half the speed of someone who does! Is there anywhere to work out what each option does?

If you delete a scheduled maneuver or waypoint, you lose the cards.  Also, if you have multiple scheduled, and delete an earlier one, all subsequent ones are deleted.  So be careful.  I often find myself pushing scheduled maneuvers out into the future, like 16 hours ahead, when I don't have a use for them.  Then I pull them back when I find a use.  Rather than deleting.

Regarding boat upgrades...  (1) You can ONLY do those upgrades pre-start.  Once the race starts, you can't do it anymore.  So if you leave something behind, do it with that in mind.  (2) The stuff on that screen is everything.  There isn't anything else.  (3) If you don't have a pile of credits available to burn, and you want everything (or nearly everything), then clicking the "discount full options" button is cheaper.  (4) In some races, you don't need everything.  You can save by not buying the stuff you won't need, but that's a risky choice.

For the VOR prologue, I don't think the "strong wind sails" are likely to be necessary.  I think in these boats, those kick in somewhere around 19 kts, and I don't think we're going to see more than 10 kts.  Unfortunately, without polars, you can't be confident (and of course, the forecast could change).

My understanding of the foils, from the Zezo forum, is that they add 4% to your speed when sailing between TWA 80 and TWA 160 in winds of 15-35 kts.  Belief is that it doesn't jump straight to 4%, but rather phases in as you get to better angles and stronger winds.  Anyway...  based on the current forecast, foils might be another unnecessary expense in the Prologue.  The radio too.  But light sails, and the reaching sail (C0) will definitely be important.

That just leaves the winches and the hull polish.  Hull polish adds a fixed percentage to speed...  a fraction of a percent.  I don't recall how much.  Like 0.6% or something.  So...  worth it if you want to contend, and not important if you're content to be mid-fleet.  Winches...  In the old version of the game, tacks, gybes, and sailchanges would cut your speed to 50% for 2 minutes.  Now, without the pro winches, apparently it's 5 minutes...  and with pro winches, apparently it's 75 seconds.  So...  Probably important in most races, unless you're content to be mid-fleet.

Screw it, I'm in.  Started the clipper race to see what the new version of the game is about.  Not sure whats going on.  I'll wait till the prologue to actually try, but without buying stuff.  I'll wait to spend money until the VOR actually starts I guess.  

In regards to zezo, we won't be able to link our VR boat to zezo this time right?

Thanks Mom for all the info.

WetHog  :ph34r:

Try Virtual Loup de Mer, great site. v-l-m.org. 5 minute cranks for long races, weather updates every 6 hours, you can program an autopilot. It works really well, completely free, no gimmicks.

You can use external routing software. qtVLM is fantastic, started off intended for VLM, but now some Mini sailors are using it, and plenty of other people.

There is a learning curve but once you get used to it is really good. Try the permanent record races for practice, PSDP and the three 3 Megs races.

VR blocked Zezo from pulling boat positions by name, so you have to key your position into Zezo to get a routing.  If you click on your own boat, and then click the left arrow once in the pop-up (or the right arrow 7 times), it'll show your coordinates.

thanks Mom. I have a heap of credits which VR won't refund, so chances are I'm in for the VOR! Good to see you guys again like Breitling and Wethog. Hope some more come too. I hope they get the Yacht Club happening by then, so we can compete in SA!

So if games are part of a series like the VOR, unused cards on the last leg get points for the next restart? Or are the boats cards saved for the next leg? Is the prolog boat set up the same boat for the VOR with no chance to upgrade sails after this prolog race? What about partner codes? How do they work wher do I find them?

When you finish each leg, they'll give you some credits back for your cards.  10 per card, I think.  Then you start fresh with no cards for the next leg.

I think the upgrades are handled independently for each leg.  They were in Zanzib.  I'll be totally screwed if I'm wrong because I haven't bought foils of heavy sails for the prologue.

Don't worry about partner codes.  I believe those are for people who are part of an organization that has joined in some kind of formal way.  Like French kids all racing from the same school who have a partner code for their school.

OK thanks I forgot about ZEZO....I’ll go this prolog bare boat if we get screwed I’ll put Me Rongo Rekuho SA in the Volvo.

This whole card business is silly, way to kill a fun game.  I am running out of credits trying to program my way out of the start.

Your Mom, thanks for all the tips.  Is there anyway to directly get programming cards? Those and the auto sail cards are all I want......

1 hour ago, Bad Andy said:

This whole card business is silly, way to kill a fun game.  I am running out of credits trying to program my way out of the start.

Your Mom, thanks for all the tips.  Is there anyway to directly get programming cards? Those and the auto sail cards are all I want......

If you use your card for auto sail and then even switch for a second to another said, like I switched to my code zero, you lose the remaining of your 24hours.   And have to buy another card. 

The game ale is all about how they can make money

You don't need to use many cards at all.....  If you are always online and hand-steering...

But, assuming you want to have a life outside of the game, you wind up needing to use either a bunch of programmation cards or a bunch of waypoint cards, to do your scheduling, and sometimes also autosails, depending on what course changes are scheduled.

If you go into "my cards" from the menu button on the right side of the game screen, you'll see four options for buying cards...  One randomly generated, but specified, card you can buy individually, and then options to buy 5 or 10 random cards, and then a Nav Pack...  The Nav Pack will get you some programmation and waypoint cards.  Unfortunately, it seems to usually be 4 programmation and 6 waypoint.  Nav Pack is the only thing I've purchased during games, and I've only bought a couple.  I've been hand-steering a lot (work is light lately).  I think I'll eventually get tired of it and quit, as I'm not willing to buy a pile of nav packs, and I'm also not willing to suck at the game just because I don't have enough programmation cards.

About the waypoint cards...  You can play them to set waypoints.  The boat will sail straight-line to waypoint 1, and then turn and go straight-line to waypoint 2, etc.  Some players really prefer to use waypoints rather than programmation.  I use them near land, but rarely in open water.  So in many races, they have little to no use...  but in some races, with a lot of coastal sailing, they can be handy.

BTW...  don't set a waypoint when you have a programmation schedule in place (or vice-versa).  They can't be used concurrently, and initiating one will cancel whatever you had in the other, and you'll lose the cards from whatever was cancelled.  I mean...  you can do it...  but be forewarned of that impact.

(Oh, and...  I realize "programmation" isn't a word...  but that's what VR calls the scheduling cards)

Ah, that makes sense regarding the waypoint / programmation near land.  I was thinking you could achieve the same result with programmation cards set to hold heading, but they are set to a time, not a location.  So if the wind picks up or something while I'm away I may overshoot (or undershoot) and bonk land, whereas with a waypoint card it will make the maneuver at the set location (but might be trying to head dead to windward or something if the wind shifts).

Gotcha! Thanks, Mom!

Exactly right Joe, the ONLY safe way to turn a corner tight like rounding a headland. is to use waypoints. It may be possible to hand steer around just as well now the ten minute boat iteration seems to be removed, but I haven't got my head round the new format yet. 

I have run aground many times over the years on scheduled course changes passing well away from land.

By the way...  an oddity / bug to be aware of if hand-steering close to land...  It'll go one minute further on the old course before executing the hand-steered course change.  Not a huge deal when making minor course changes close to land, but...  if you need to make a 90-degree turn at a headland, it can be a big deal.

Yup, and it automatically updates every minute.  You don't have to refresh it.  These are some things that I'd chalk up as improvements.  Plenty to complain about, but the changes aren't all bad.

Also, the wind evolves continuously, so the idea of trying to time a tack or sailchange to coincide exactly with the windshift change iteration is obsolete.

OK so I did a test dirt landing cough! cough! If you zoom in the boats stays black no way to see through it to see how bad the beach is under and around it. Pay attention to the boat to see it moving leaving the dirt. I’ve been embayed before. This game will be very hard to get a boat off the beach at times. The fast up date should avoid the 10 min problem of past games.

How close can you cut it before the pucker sets in? At some zoom levels I get the /!\ symbol.  I don't wan't to pull a Vestas; too close?

le2PhOA.png

Doing the prologue but with free cards only, no upgrades.  It's ok. Started late in the 9000's and am now in the 6000's. The controls seem straight forward that I have used but I haven't tried way points or program thing. I also will not sacrifice sleep for a fake boat at this point so getting past the rock should be interesting.  

12 hours ago, joeboy said:

How close can you cut it before the pucker sets in? At some zoom levels I get the /!\ symbol.  I don't wan't to pull a Vestas; too close?

The latest updates have improved some issues in grounding accuracy.  It seems that you generally can sail up to the beach, though the waves, without grounding...  and that you'll hit on the beach.  Don't trust that too much, though.  Basically, the waves are a danger zone.

I find that if hand-steering with TWA turned off, the alert on the forward path that shows you're going to hit seems to be accurate.  If you steer off enough to not have that indicator, you're ok.  But...  keep in mind that sometimes it's off by a degree.  I often exit to the home screen and re-enter, just to make sure it's doing the route I told it to do.  The "scheduled grounding" indicator also works with TWA on, but TWA's route can be inaccurate, so you can't trust it to follow the line exactly enough to be sailing through the waves.

With waypoints, it'll sail the white line you plot exactly, but the alert saying that a grounding is scheduled won't pop up.  So while the waypoints offer better precision for the coastal stuff, you can't be confident about being safe unless you stay outside the waves.

Basically...  I'll sail through the waves if I feel the 0.05 nm I can gain is worthwhile AND I can be online watching.  Otherwise, I'll usually stay outside the waves.

I am plugging along.  Broke into the high 5000's.  Very happy to see plotting your coordinates into Zezo works like a charm.  I would be struggling without Zezo.

Being a Government employee now I have all the time I need during the day to manually steer my boat.  Figure I'll save way points for when I am sleeping or read up on programation to understand how that actually works.  Anyway, right now it seems like I'll be able to do enough to stay interested.  Looking into the future though, the legs going into and out of the greater Hong Kong area will be interesting to say the least.  Hopefully by that time I'll have a handle on all the new bells and whistles.

Also, in lieu of being to able to form the SA group again, put -SA behind your name.  Might make it easier to keep track of people.

To bad Sailing Anarchy Yacht Club isn't on the VR list of yacht clubs you can choose in your profile menu.  If it was that would be one way of sailing as a group and keeping track of our progress.

Also, I noticed I was given 400 credits that were only good for this race so I bought a navigation pack and 5 extra cards.  Hopefully they will get me through the straight in one piece overnight.  

3 hours ago, WetHog said:

To bad Sailing Anarchy Yacht Club isn't on the VR list of yacht clubs you can choose in your profile menu.  If it was that would be one way of sailing as a group and keeping track of our progress.

You can actually submit a request to their Support line to have a YC added, and they'll do it.  That's how my YC is in there.  I don't know whether or not they'd accept SA as a YC, though.

The SAYC link on the home page is broken so the SAYC probably doesn't exist anymore.  Might try anyway.  ;)

So I'm enjoying this installment of the VORG. Still getting use to the card system.

How many of the top players will be hording the 'stealth' cards to use 24 - 48 hours from the finish of the leg?

It could get very interesting.

Looking at my boat in 3D mode it shows my main reefed in 9 knots of wind but a boat close by doesn't.  WTF?

This is kinda fun. Not as much fun as the previous version. I guess that's progress for you.

Has anyone worked out VMGs? Or polar charts yet?

Edit: I think I've found it... kinda... the bezel you use to set the heading changes colour and becomes more 'green' at a certain point. I presume this is optimum VMG?

2017-10-10 13_38_16-Virtual Regatta Offshore.png

Yeah...  The bezel will show max green at the optimal upwind or downwind VMG angles.  The guy who runs Zezo has a link from the router that shows a traditional graphic of the polars.  It might not be 100% accurate, but it's quite close.

1 hour ago, I Sail The Black Boat said:

If anyone finds a place to snag the polars let us know.  There used to be a VR dedicated site that posted them, but it has gone missing now...

As Your Mom said, some polars are there: http://zezo.org/vor/polars.html?pro=0

They seem quite close to the speeds I'm seeing ingame.

Any chance to deactivate stealth mode?  I went into just to test the last card but it is not too polite to activate right now.

I might regret this...... the card system seems like just the sort of thing to get me properly wound up, but against my better judgement, I have released the Mongrel.

I'm back in having not played since the Vendee. Got of to a bit of a slow start after pointing at the rocks for the first 8/9 hours but back up to 9,000's now. Anyone know why my bezel / ring is red rather than green?

3 hours ago, ThijsK said:

I'm back in having not played since the Vendee. Got of to a bit of a slow start after pointing at the rocks for the first 8/9 hours but back up to 9,000's now. Anyone know why my bezel / ring is red rather than green?

Red Bezel = too close to the wind. What's your TWA? What sail have you got up?

18 hours ago, Hydrogene said:

As Your Mom said, some polars are there: http://zezo.org/vor/polars.html?pro=0

They seem quite close to the speeds I'm seeing ingame.

Some of us play with other programs for routing, graphical polars don't help that much unless you have a lot of free time to transcribe them...  I wonder what the "real" legs will use I'm assuming they used the IMOCA 60s for the prologue with the "foils" option. So I don't want to put too much effort into it, yet...

Anyone use the game messages. USA boat thumper2351 is a boat I am wanting to invite to our SA group. I see the message box, write in the box and see a green checked box, what sends the message?

Just for your info....

It was late at night (2 am) when I was waiting for the last gybe just one mile behind Mom, first spanish boat in front of Zaramzamzam and some other good sailors. Ok, I felt asleep.... Shit !!  Well, not too bad, just 10-15 minutes late, this is a prologue at last. Gybe, I even saw the checker flag intersecting my rhumb line with the finish circle, so I went to sleep. Guess what the boat did? See attached please.

wtf.thumb.png.5ab3b9ce6e9181ea1e81285c5880518d.png

This is absolutely frustrating....

A nice finish for Mom.  37 secs off 2nd!

Brietling, serves you right for trying to stay awake.  I just park the boat on the shore for the night and then start again in the morning.....at least that is the way it has been working out.

I finished 1,878. I was in the 2,100,s when I went to bed so I guess I got lucky with the last forecast shift in my favor.  Anyway, started late and in the high 9000's and finish just under 2000.  It's that shit that has me hooked into playing again.  What a tease.  

I will sayi am interested to see how much difference an upgraded boat makes because I went bone stock this time. 

Hi guys.  Interesting experience from Breitling.  That sucks.  It happened in a leg of the Zanzib race too.  It closed prematurely, and then someone realized it and re-opened it like 15 minutes later.  When it happened in Zanzib, everyone who had scheduled maneuvers or waypoints discovered that those had been blown away.  Very frustrating, particularly if it happens while you're offline.  Each time something like that happens, waves of top players quit.  Everyone who plays regularly eventually gets to the last straw.  I'm not there yet, but I've been pretty close a few times.

I'm in the odd position of being bummed with a 4th.  I spent most of yesterday thinking I'd be 2nd.  The guys who finished 2nd and 3rd were in stealth mode, so I have no idea how they beat me.  I think TFT gybed 2-3 minutes before me and got me just by timing that gybe better.  He was ~1 minute behind me prior to the gybe.  And La_Semillante...  well...  he was leading most of the last two days...  so I didn't think I'd have him..  until he slept through his gybe or something.  He dropped like a rock in the standings after the gybe.  But then he started rocketing back up...  presumably when he woke up, crash-gybed, and started sailing 135 TWA to the finish while we were all running at142.  I still had him 5 minutes before the line, but he nipped me at the end.

Great job MOM U ARE one fast Mother. To think where you were at the start of this last time your skill set is amazing to get to the top so fast! Your instincts are great. To bad you missed rock hopping LOL ud have killed at it.

I sat through both my finishes. On the mini a timer move to run down to the line moved to a grounding as the boat slowed? I did catch it in time.  The Volvo was no land close so no problem. I’m thinking every time I move the heading when not needed is sucking miles off my runs. Not to self look don’t touch. Is there a in port race on the game this weekend?

Thanks, Driftwood.  I actually started about halfway through the first leg of the last Volvo, and then decided to see what would happen if I took the upwind route through the South Atlantic.  Proceeded to fail to get to the finish at all...  the leg closed when I was less than 10 nm from the line.  I remember someone in here warning me about impending addiction.  Three years of addiction later, I guess I've gotten pretty good at it.  ;-)

Course changes shouldn't hurt you directly, unless you have autosails turned on and your course changes cause sail changes.  That would absolutely hurt you.  Of course, just like in real sailing, steering S-bends will always be slower than steering a smooth course.  But you'd have to steer some ugly S's to lose miles.

I'm not sure what's up with the In-Shore stuff.  I don't do that much.  But the VOR information has suggested that this year's edition includes In-Shore scores.  Hopefully VR will make it clear before an In-Shore event actually occurs.

Well done YM. About 3,000 without using zezo and missing a few tacks.........figuring out the cards and credits slowly

anyone know how to pull Lat/long out of the app rather than using a desktop?

On 11/10/2017 at 1:05 PM, TheActualDave said:

Red Bezel = too close to the wind. What's your TWA? What sail have you got up?

I was sailing pretty free at the time about 41 twa if I remember with a light wind genoa. Seemed strange, thanks for the tip. Ended up at 5,400 so pretty happy after starting in the 15,000,s. 

5 hours ago, Mudsailor said:

Well done YM. About 3,000 without using zezo and missing a few tacks.........figuring out the cards and credits slowly

anyone know how to pull Lat/long out of the app rather than using a desktop?

Whilst viewing the race, click in the image on the boat and scroll to the far right of the pop up window, goes through wind speed, boat speed, TWA, distance etc before getting to lat/long.

Need to get people to list their boat names.  I have some of the folk that played last time in already.  But some names posting now I don't recognize.

Mine is WetHog-SA

Mine is RIGO. 

Haven’t figured out how to add the SA retrospectively yet...

5 minutes ago, RIGO said:

Mine is RIGO. 

Haven’t figured out how to add the SA retrospectively yet...

One good thing I can say about VR's latest version is that they've doe a pretty good job with their Help section...  The answer is less than ideal, but at least there's an answer.  To access your profile, from the offshore racing home screen, click on your boat name in the top-left corner.  But changing your boat name currently isn't an option:

How do I rename my boat?

[VR] Virtual Regatta
  • 17 hours ago
  •  
  • Updated

Currently, it is not possible to rename your boat. This feature will be added in a future version of the game.

6 hours ago, Tris.c said:

Whilst viewing the race, click in the image on the boat and scroll to the far right of the pop up window, goes through wind speed, boat speed, TWA, distance etc before getting to lat/long.

+1

Another way is to click the boat, on the pop up click the left arrow the lat. long is the next one back. I’m using a iPad then I double click the home button, select chrome and the zezo screen tab. Then double click home select the game the to see the lat and long..

Does anyone know if the upgrades will apply to the whole VOR or will need to be added each leg? 5 Euro for the whole thing is fine, 55 is not worth it.

20 minutes ago, Bad Andy said:

Does anyone know if the upgrades will apply to the whole VOR or will need to be added each leg? 5 Euro for the whole thing is fine, 55 is not worth it.

Only the leg. However, you don't have to buy. With your placings you should accrue enough credits to get all the upgrades for the next leg without spending actual $. As Mom said, you get credits for your position and for unused cards. 

I did the Transat first (with upgrades I could get for the free 800 credits) - finished 1,212

Then Clipper (again, only upgrades with the free credits) - finished 1,742

And VOR Prologue (paid for the discount full upgrades - $5ish) and used Zezo - finished 80th 

With those three races (admittedly I did pay for one upgrade pack) I have enough credits to get fully upgraded for leg 1.

Then I have 610 credits leftover for leg 2, plus whatever credits I get from Leg 1 and any other races I do etc.

I've done six races since the new version came out (Opening Race, three Zanzib legs, Mini Leg 1, VOR Prologue, and Clipper Leg 2) without spending a dime, and I currently have more credits than I started with.  ;-)  All you have to do is fairly consistently place in the top 50 without buying many cards.  Easy, right?  :-)

One thing I like about the new style of upgrade purchases is that you don't have to go all in to be fully competitive.  You can evaluate the course and forecast and skip upgrades you're confident you won't use.  For VOR Prologue, I didn't buy foils or heavy sails (or the radio or any color upgrades), for example.

I gotta say, this new platform is abysmal compared to the previous version.  I tried logging in however I can get onto the forums but can't access anything else. It's doubtful if I will be playing it on this platform again..

1 minute ago, RImike said:

I gotta say, this new platform is abysmal compared to the previous version.  I tried logging in however I can get onto the forums but can't access anything else. It's doubtful if I will be playing it on this platform again..

I had to run the game in Firefox, would not work in Chrome for me.

7 minutes ago, TheActualDave said:

I had to run the game in Firefox, would not work in Chrome for me.

It doesn't work in Chrome of Firefox...

Fully loaded deal was $5.15.  I got it to see how things shake out.  Got to pick a cool paint job for my boat as well.  ;)

11 hours ago, Your Mom said:

One good thing I can say about VR's latest version is that they've doe a pretty good job with their Help section...  The answer is less than ideal, but at least there's an answer.  To access your profile, from the offshore racing home screen, click on your boat name in the top-left corner.  But changing your boat name currently isn't an option:

How do I rename my boat?

[VR] Virtual Regatta
  • 17 hours ago
  •  
  • Updated

Currently, it is not possible to rename your boat. This feature will be added in a future version of the game.

Thanks for following up on this - I've written them a request to ensure the message gets through....

On 10/12/2017 at 7:33 PM, DRIFTW00D said:

Great job MOM U ARE one fast Mother. To think where you were at the start of this last time your skill set is amazing to get to the top so fast! Your instincts are great. To bad you missed rock hopping LOL ud have killed at it.

^ 2nd that ^

This sounds complicated...I guess I need to figure out the 'cards' and cost. Like others, I don't mind spending a few $$ to pay the web site people's salaries, but I am not spending $100.. 

16 minutes ago, Hike, Bitches! said:

This sounds complicated...I guess I need to figure out the 'cards' and cost. Like others, I don't mind spending a few $$ to pay the web site people's salaries, but I am not spending $100.. 

I have done all the races with the new App and finished most midfield (some 5.000-7.000) and haven't spent a cent yet (granted there was a partner code for the zanzib races which gave you higher credit upfront). To the contrary even with those midpack finishes i was able to increase my number of credits. Key is not to buy every upgrade, as Your Mom mentioned, and it helps to collect as many card as possible and not use too many (e.g. i don't use the forecast or stealth cards ans hardly any waypoint or navigation cards) since the payback after the race for them is quite good.

Also the interval between getting cards seems to have chanced to 7 hours.

And thanks for the tip regarding zezo. Will definitly use it in the future.

My boat name is Cambodunum by the way.

The Inshore version of the game is a joke in my opinion. The enforcement of rules rather random and the steering of the boat is rather unpredictable.

13 hours ago, Hike, Bitches! said:

If I can figure it than you should have an issue.  

Having said that, the programmation card still baffles me.  Your Mom might have to give a tutorial.

The programmation cards (and waypoint cards) should make sense to people who were paying for options in the past.  They'll be confusing for those who weren't.  In the past, both functions were available in unlimited manner (aside from scheduling a max of 10 at any given time) if you paid for options.  Now, you have to play one card for your first waypoint or programmation.  Two for your second, three for your third, etc.  So if you want to have four programmations active at once, that requires 10 programmation cards.  In other words, you have to hand-steer or start dropping credits on nav packs to get programmation cards.

You can't use waypoints and programmation simultaneously.  At any given time, your navigation can be one or the other (or neither).

Waypoints are fairly straightforward.  Your boat will go straight-line to your first waypoint, and then will alter course to go straight-line to your second, etc.  When it hits the last one, it will continue on whatever its last course was, straight line, until you manually alter the course.  There is no consideration of wind angle, etc.  So when trying to sail at max upwind or downwind VMG, waypoints are tough.  But when just trying to steer clear of land on a reaching angle, they can be handy.  I think there are some strong players who use waypoints a lot, but I don't, aside from when I'm close to land.

Keep in mind that when you sail straight lines in an evolving wind, you might encounter a sailchange need.  If you haven't played an autosails card, you might wake up to discover you've been sailing with the wrong sail for hours.  (On the other hand, I've personally witnessed the autosails choosing to change from A to B, and then back to A, and then back to B, within 10 minutes when near a transition, so...  if you want to race at an elite level, you'll prefer to manually change the sails whenever you can).

Programmation...  Well...  You can schedule a move at a fixed point in the next 24 hours.  It can be a move to a fixed compass course, or to a fixed TWA.  So...  For example, if you're working upwind in a boat with an optimal upwind VMG of 42 degrees, and the wind is steadily shifting left, so you're sailing at 42 TWA on starboard tack, but your ideal tack would be at 3:30 AM, then you can use a programmation card to tell it to go to 42 TWA on port at 3:30 AM.  That much isn't expensive.  But if you're short-tacking and you want to schedule 8 maneuvers, you'll spend a huge number of cards to do that.  I have thus far refused to do so.  If it gets to a point where I must to be competitive, then I'll go ahead and burn through my credits, and then I'll quit.  I'm hoping they'll change the model again before then.

Keep in mind that programmation plans won't precisely follow the line you see on your screen.  The game has "gusts" built in, where the wind can vary by a little bit in angle and strength from what you think you're seeing...  and also, of course, sometimes the forecast will change before your scheduled maneuver anyway.  So...  if you use programmation to schedule a bunch of short tacks along a shoreline while you're sleeping, don't be surprised if you wake up to discover you've been aground for 5 hours.  Better to use waypoints, or stay awake, or use programmation without getting particularly close to land.

- Mom.

I figured it was like the last edition, but when I tried it in the Clipper race I couldn't match up the time with the Zezo time.  I"ll figure it out.

Thanks for the time spent explaining things, Mom

Although I have no interest in participating in the game I am amazed and in awe of how helpful Your Mum is.

Well done good sir.