• Announcements

    • Zapata

      Abbreviated rules   07/28/2017

      Underdawg did an excellent job of explaining the rules.  Here's the simplified version: Don't insinuate Pedo.  Warning and or timeout for a first offense.  PermaFlick for any subsequent offenses Don't out members.  See above for penalties.  Caveat:  if you have ever used your own real name or personal information here on the forums since, like, ever - it doesn't count and you are fair game. If you see spam posts, report it to the mods.  We do not hang out in every thread 24/7 If you see any of the above, report it to the mods by hitting the Report button in the offending post.   We do not take action for foul language, off-subject content, or abusive behavior unless it escalates to persistent stalking.  There may be times that we might warn someone or flick someone for something particularly egregious.  There is no standard, we will know it when we see it.  If you continually report things that do not fall into rules #1 or 2 above, you may very well get a timeout yourself for annoying the Mods with repeated whining.  Use your best judgement. Warnings, timeouts, suspensions and flicks are arbitrary and capricious.  Deal with it.  Welcome to anarchy.   If you are a newbie, there are unwritten rules to adhere to.  They will be explained to you soon enough.  
WetHog

VOR '17-'18 - THE GAME

Recommended Posts

Your Mom said..

"The viability of going through neat PNG will depend on angle.  If boats can get a couple days of beam reaching in there, they'll get through to more breeze on the other side.  If headwinds or tailwinds, have fun with that."

 

I showed your mom some tailwinds last night, Trebek.

(I couldn't resist..I've had a couple beers here on a Friday night.);)

  • Like 5

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2 hours ago, Hike, Bitches! said:

Not the same Solomons Island where I am, huh? LOL. :D

LoL, no. Not the same.  Nice spot down there though.  I go down their a lot to stay with my wife’s cousin in the summertime.  What’s with all the old school bus stop shelters everywhere though?  B)

WetHog  :ph34r:

  • Like 2

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Slow boat to China.

Went the coast route, westwards. Now approaching Cape le Grand, and readying for island dodging.

DTF c300NM less than Shockwave, but wind going flakey and it'll be slow to Cape Leeuwin, and any advantage should be gobbled up.

Boat is Guest64418. Only extras are code 0 and foils.

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Going to go through the middle of the Solomon islands, still too far West. 

 

Think I look good as it stands, if the forecast holds.

 

 

 

 

Which it won't. 

 

 

God I want this leg to end.

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Woke up this morning happy to head East with the real fleet.......... then I did a “Momcheck” and the bugger is heading West!  Now who can I trust?  A humble but proven performer from the island of Texas, or 100 of the worlds best ocean racers? 

 

4FCD59BC-1C0C-40FE-A456-664DE9BC26CF.jpeg

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
6 minutes ago, GrandbendOnt said:

Woke up this morning happy to head East with the real fleet.......... then I did a “Momcheck” and the bugger is heading West!  Now who can I trust?  A humble but proven performer from the island of Texas, or 100 of the worlds best ocean racers? 

 

4FCD59BC-1C0C-40FE-A456-664DE9BC26CF.jpeg

Looks like he’s holding the same TWA, just taking the header. 

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
16 minutes ago, GrandbendOnt said:

Woke up this morning happy to head East with the real fleet.......... then I did a “Momcheck” and the bugger is heading West!  Now who can I trust?  A humble but proven performer from the island of Texas, or 100 of the worlds best ocean racers? 

 

4FCD59BC-1C0C-40FE-A456-664DE9BC26CF.jpeg

Looks like he’s holding the same TWA, just taking the header. 

46BAE97C-9AC9-42A5-913C-DB8BE25ECBCE.jpeg

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

You experienced guys lock in your TWA a lot more than I do.....took me two legs to realize it existed,  I better use it more 

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
33 minutes ago, GrandbendOnt said:

You experienced guys lock in your TWA a lot more than I do.....took me two legs to realize it existed,  I better use it more 

It’s a balance. Right now I have it unlocked in the Clipper race.

Did you get much snow over there the last couple of days?  Just cleared another 8-10 inches from the drive this morning.

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
8 hours ago, smellibits said:

Slow boat to China.

Went the coast route, westwards. Now approaching Cape le Grand, and readying for island dodging.

DTF c300NM less than Shockwave, but wind going flakey and it'll be slow to Cape Leeuwin, and any advantage should be gobbled up.

Boat is Guest64418. Only extras are code 0 and foils.

Why no light air stuff......? Os great at 110. Light geniker is the thing in lots of other angles. At least name that old barge your pushing around the world. ;)

smelly you move?  Guest64418 

 

59F2C59A-8301-44E3-A810-336339D0F154.jpeg

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, Shorthanded said:

Did you get much snow over there the last couple of days?  Just cleared another 8-10 inches from the drive this morning.

The Lee of Lake Huron has been getting plastered with Lake effect, all roads are closed.  

That said I have been sitting here in Nassau for most of the last 14 days with trips to Columbia, Cabo, NYC, Florida ect. 

Its really not scoring me any points with the wife and kids 

Nassau weather is cold and windy this trip, worst weather I have seen, and I usually spend a month a year here

 

4F5017FF-FE38-459F-8A52-48331363BBBD.jpeg

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 1/5/2018 at 4:50 AM, HKG1203 said:

Slowly making my way back into the fleet. Will see how the east west split goes as i don't have time to not follow zezo although i was aware it may be wrong due to the current weather system relying on the low off auckland right now.

 

On a side note, made it onto the SA front page as the boat rounding the gate in the background ;)

What is this SA front page you speak of...

I did find this.Is one your ride?

why-am-i-here-again-1.jpg

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

No game waypoints as such, unless tou mean measuring points for your current position.                                                            I am aiming for a pass between San Cristobal and Malaita islands as I expect YM is as well. I’d have been on YM’s hip now if I hadn’t stuffed up and lost 2 plus hours last Wednesday.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
5 hours ago, GrandbendOnt said:

Woke up this morning happy to head East with the real fleet.......... then I did a “Momcheck” and the bugger is heading West!  Now who can I trust?  A humble but proven performer from the island of Texas, or 100 of the worlds best ocean racers? 

Recommendation: Don't try to follow me the rest of this leg.

 

After crushing it to lead the Westies and get myself a mention in the official Volvo article for the day, I skipped the gybe under stealth to get East.  I was feeling pretty good about the move because I was leading many of the top 100 boats in the world rankings (and still am, if East pays), but then I started recognizing how many boats routed East from the start, who are ahead of me.  I don't really know how many, but I'm guessing a couple hundred or more.  Then Zezo started bouncing the routing back and forth, through the Solomons, back to the East, back to the West, etc, with each update.  I finally got fed up with it and started trying to optimize my northbound progress.  I figured if the optimal route was uncertain, I might as well get North.  That's the explanation for my position and angle in GrandbendOnt's screenshot.  Right or wrong, who knows.

 

The thing is...  if I start getting the sense that I've blown the leg, I might take a flyer (all the more reason to not follow me).  I usually race very conservatively, trying to optimize my progress along something close to Zezo's recommended path, figuring I'm good enough at that to stay near the front while the risk-takers fall by the wayside.  But if it looks like that approach can't get me a good finish anymore, I might as well look at it as a throwout and take my chances with a risk.

  • Like 3

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, Your Mom said:

Recommendation: Don't try to follow me the rest of this leg.

 

After crushing it to lead the Westies and get myself a mention in the official Volvo article for the day, I skipped the gybe under stealth to get East.  I was feeling pretty good about the move because I was leading many of the top 100 boats in the world rankings (and still am, if East pays), but then I started recognizing how many boats routed East from the start, who are ahead of me.  I don't really know how many, but I'm guessing a couple hundred or more.  Then Zezo started bouncing the routing back and forth, through the Solomons, back to the East, back to the West, etc, with each update.  I finally got fed up with it and started trying to optimize my northbound progress.  I figured if the optimal route was uncertain, I might as well get North.  That's the explanation for my position and angle in GrandbendOnt's screenshot.  Right or wrong, who knows.

 

The thing is...  if I start getting the sense that I've blown the leg, I might take a flyer (all the more reason to not follow me).  I usually race very conservatively, trying to optimize my progress along something close to Zezo's recommended path, figuring I'm good enough at that to stay near the front while the risk-takers fall by the wayside.  But if it looks like that approach can't get me a good finish anymore, I might as well look at it as a throwout and take my chances with a risk.

The group to the west is looking pretty good right now with more pressure, but I think the longer term forecast favors the easterly group. In my unprofessional opinion (although I did take a weather class in college....a really long time ago), you're in a pretty decent position.  I'd be cautious about taking a flyer back to the west.

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
17 hours ago, Hike, Bitches! said:

Your Mom said..

"The viability of going through neat PNG will depend on angle.  If boats can get a couple days of beam reaching in there, they'll get through to more breeze on the other side.  If headwinds or tailwinds, have fun with that."

 

I showed your mom some tailwinds last night, Trebek.

(I couldn't resist..I've had a couple beers here on a Friday night.);)

I just cracked open a Big Lake Ryecoe IPA, so I might have a couple of "Your Mom" jokes a little later.

 

  • Like 2

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Driftwood.

Everything up - jib, staysail ( poled out ) foresail,  a blooper, tops'l, mains'l, mizzen, towels, dinghy dropped from the stern most davit, blankets, towels and hankies, with boards up. 6kts. Might have to drop the pole on the staysail with the gap to be squeezed through in about half an hour.  

Still, have a rendezvous with the trimaran in about 5 hours and so will accelerate - belatedly.

Right guest no. Under a brit flat. 

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

One the 'east vs west' debate... I used Zezo to compare my estimated time to arrival with what looks like the front-runners in the east group compared with my own position at 425th. My ETA is around 247 hours and theirs is around 259 hours. I know it's an estimate and lots will change, but it's not looking like a dramatic difference at this stage.

Now a some questions on how to use Zezo properly.

I input my boats position and it says 'steer 120 wind angle for 30m then 125 for 30m then 120 for 30m.....' and on and on. Is there any benefit to doing this? Or should I just plug in 122.5 and come back in 90 minutes?

I'm a bit suspicious because if I input my boats new position after 30 minutes, it might say 'steer 125 for 30m, then 130 for 30m, then 125 for 30m....' what caused the change? This was happening on the last leg too. The wind calculations shouldn't have updated in between those inputs?

Also... some people say to use Zezo as a guide... that sounds like some parts are less accurate/useful than others. Would you be referring to the long-term assumptions it takes (go east/west of the high sorta thing) or that micro-level turns every 30 minutes... or is it the polars (do they not have a very good grip on the VMGs and things)? If those long-term assumptions are the ones that are a bit off, it might pay to not set it to 'go to Hong Kong' but, rather, work out a leg strategy and use Zezo in segments choosing destinations that deliver you to the appropriate point for the next weather system?

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2 hours ago, Liquid said:

This is my first leg in the game. Is our island waypoint farther west than the real race?

Your profile pic...Gorge?

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
13 hours ago, smellibits said:

Slow boat to China.

Went the coast route, westwards. Now approaching Cape le Grand, and readying for island dodging.

DTF c300NM less than Shockwave, but wind going flakey and it'll be slow to Cape Leeuwin, and any advantage should be gobbled up.

Boat is Guest64418. Only extras are code 0 and foils.

I was wondering how we would have faired if we pushed on that direction.

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
16 hours ago, WetHog said:

LoL, no. Not the same.  Nice spot down there though.  I go down their a lot to stay with my wife’s cousin in the summertime.  What’s with all the old school bus stop shelters everywhere though?  B)

WetHog  :ph34r:

I call those Southern Maryland billboards! Local restaurants, insurance agents, and lawyers advertise on them..lol

If you are ever down here again let me know. I technically live in St. Mary's Co. across the bridge, but I keep the 4KSB in Solomons. B)

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
4 minutes ago, Hike, Bitches! said:

I call those Southern Maryland billboards! Local restaurants, insurance agents, and lawyers advertise on them..lol

If you are ever down here again let me know. I technically live in St. Mary's Co. across the bridge, but I keep the 4KSB in Solomons. B)

Do you ever get down to Deltaville or farther south to Hampton?

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
12 minutes ago, Shorthanded said:

Your profile pic...Gorge?

I'm doing the eastern route

Profile pic: Yes it is! It's Broughton's - WA side between the Hatch and Swell. 5.0 and below or you don't go! Though foiling is changing that...

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
19 minutes ago, webdeveloper said:

 

I input my boats position and it says 'steer 120 wind angle for 30m then 125 for 30m then 120 for 30m.....' and on and on. Is there any benefit to doing this? Or should I just plug in 122.5 and come back in 90 minutes?

 

I usually look ahead and take an average, typically before I go to bed.  Since I don't pay for the full pack, I save my cards for credit so this is my best option.

  • Like 2

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 minute ago, Liquid said:

I'm doing the eastern route

Profile pic: Yes it is! It's Broughton's - WA side between the Hatch and Swell. 5.0 and below or you don't go! Though foiling is changing that...

Love that place.  I haven't been since the late 90's.  I still have my AHD Swell City model in the garage (doesn't get much use here in Michigan).

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
4 minutes ago, Shorthanded said:

Love that place.  I haven't been since the late 90's.  I still have my AHD Swell City model in the garage (doesn't get much use here in Michigan).

I owned an AHD. Loved the shape but I kept breaking it and the rep stopped replacing it...

Gorge is my fav. Choices here are the gorge, OR coast (BRRRR) or maui!!!

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 minute ago, Liquid said:

I owned an AHD. Loved the shape but I kept breaking it and the rep stopped replacing it...

Gorge is my fav. Choices here are the gorge, OR coast (BRRRR) or maui!!!

Yup, Maui is one of my favorites.

image1.jpeg

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I'm going right up the center, i've ping'ed people directly east and west to see how the next 48 hours pan out.

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

BM, I think you were right.

 

When you and Thistle hardened up I was already to leeward and leaking by c5NM. So you 9 me ) go with the other route.

 

Sailed the stretch OKish.

 

But I think a quick boat well sailed wouldn't have suffered as much, but no way ( IMHO) in as conditions emerged, would it have panned out.

 

Great fun ( better half away ) jagging through islands though

 

Round the corner I'll  have some different options from you I think.

 

But also recognising it's bollocks not to kit the boat up fully.

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Hello very rough and ready rankings from approx 02:45UTC.  HKG1203, I was hiking on Tung Lung Chau yesterday and thinking of you in your 29er as the the cobwebs were getting blown from between my ears.  It must have been interesting....:D

image.png.8db9e6b4d42b9ee975ded633cacd0938.png

Place SA Name Boat Name Dist to Leader
1 Lat21 Hamachi SA 3203.11
2 Tunnel Rat Mongrel 17
3 Mud Sailor Mudsailor SA 104
4 daan62 hutspot77 180
5 Magool Magool 200
6 Breitling Breitling_SA 214
7 Kapt'n Kirk prowler_1-SA 217
8 Vibroman Vibroman_SA 237
9 Mike G MikeVentura 246
10 HKG1203 HKG1203 264
11 briar Wing it 324
12 From The Rail A-Squared 356
13 Your Mom Your Mom SA 364
14 Rainbow Spirit Rainbow Spirit II 370
15 Hike, Bitches HikeBitches 371
16 The Actual Dave Davemw 374
17 Gybe Turkey Gybe Turkey 379
18 prettyhatemachine prettyhatemachine 382
19 Driftwood Me Rongo Rekohu SA 388
20 Marty6 Cambodunum 392
21 Wet Hog WetHog-SA 397
22 Golden Rose Golden Rose SA 403
23 Ozzy Ozzy85 424
24 Iced Tea rule69 453
25 I Sail The Black Boat Thistle1678 2856
26 Blue Mountain YC  shockwave11 2857
  • Like 2

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
3 hours ago, Shorthanded said:

Do you ever get down to Deltaville or farther south to Hampton?

Shorty, I was in both places this year, and have been for several. I was in Hampton when the tornado blew thru and wrecked Southern Bay Race Week in 2011 (I think.) One of the boats I race on is a Colgate 26, 'Easy Button' (another PHRF C 4KSB). We trailer it to Hampton for Southern Bay Race Week. For Deltaville, only ~50-ish miles away, the MFO also has a nice Markley 46 powerboat, so we tow the Colgate down and have an air conditioned support vessel for their Labor Day regatta.
I've also done a few dinghy regattas in Deltaville. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
5 minutes ago, Hike, Bitches! said:

Shorty, I was in both places this year, and have been for several. I was in Hampton when the tornado blew thru and wrecked Southern Bay Race Week in 2011 (I think.) One of the boats I race on is a Colgate 26, 'Easy Button' (another PHRF C 4KSB). We trailer it to Hampton for Southern Bay Race Week. For Deltaville, only ~50-ish miles away, the MFO also has a nice Markley 46 powerboat, so we tow the Colgate down and have an air conditioned support vessel for their Labor Day regatta.
I've also done a few dinghy regattas in Deltaville. 

I sailed out of Fishing Bay Yacht Club in 2007 on theTripp 38 Voodoo and did some one design on a Front Runner. It was a good time, but then I moved back to Michigan. I also know the Meridian X gang pretty well. Good people. 

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
15 minutes ago, Shorthanded said:

I sailed out of Fishing Bay Yacht Club in 2007 on theTripp 38 Voodoo and did some one design on a Front Runner. It was a good time, but then I moved back to Michigan. I also know the Meridian X gang pretty well. Good people. 

Big fun Shorty. I know VooDoo very well (never raced on it myself, but some friends have), and we brought a Front Runner (#204) down to FBYC from Southern Maryland for a FR regatta (since sold, placed 3rd I think!!) Did Lightnings at FBYC too!

Edit - the tornado at FBYC was in 2012..I was in the bar as the glass blew out!

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
4 hours ago, webdeveloper said:

Now a some questions on how to use Zezo properly.

I input my boats position and it says 'steer 120 wind angle for 30m then 125 for 30m then 120 for 30m.....' and on and on. Is there any benefit to doing this?

Also... some people say to use Zezo as a guide... that sounds like some parts are less accurate/useful than others.

First question, short answer is no.  Just take an average.  Sometimes it's the average TWA, and sometimes it's a straight line where the TWA moves from 120 to 125 as the wind shifts.  Zezo does this to save on computer processing time.  For many reaching angles, it only looks at 5-degree TWA increments, and then also the max VMG angles upwind and downwind.  So if ideal is 122, it might flip back and forth between 120 and 125 as the best it can do to achieve that.  Longer answer involves also considering which angle has the max speed in the current windstrength, how that changes as the wind increases or decreases, and whether or not certain angles will incur sailchanges at certain windspeeds.  (I destest sailchanges and avoid them like the plague).  So, sometimes, angle tweaks can be because the wind is increasing or descreasing and that impacts the max VMG, or the sailchange point, or the max speed angle, in which case you might want to follow Zezo more closely.

 

Second question...  It partly means you shouldn't try to replicate every microscopic move.  But it also means you shouldn't zoom into 100% and sail whatever course you see on the max zoom screen blindly without looking at the overall course.  Just like when navigating real boats, you need to have an awareness of how stable the conditions ahead are, and what the instability might do to your plan.  Zezo's routing might be optimal while high-risk...  and then when the forecast changes, you might be totally hosed.  The East-West thing is an example now.  Far East was the safe bet all along.  Boats like Captain Sheep, Rafal71, and Mangina ignored Zezo's recommendation and routed themselves to the East end of the Solomons from Day 1.  The route to that point is pretty stable, so they could rely on that routing pretty well.  The back following Zezo was heading for PNG, and then we were told to turn hard East, which I did, and then it pinged back and forth, and still is.  Those going far East will have a fairly stable routing from the Solomons to HK.  Those going West will be making heavy adjustments every forecast for the next week, unless they pick closer destinations and route point-to-point.  Which will win?  Who knows...

  • Like 4

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

On the same thought the black zero line is just the last one of thousands it’s close but...there is usually more speed up a few or down a few degrees. To sleep easer at night follow the green TWA line out and see how it lookes. Along side or over the black one your golden. Missed jibes and dirt define my game. Come backs are fun  ... Usually I just run out of time.

And if zero can not see the finish as in the Cape Town Race at the start or at the equator,  setting your own  destination points is the only way to go.

  • Like 1
  • Downvote 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
13 hours ago, DRIFTW00D said:

What is this SA front page you speak of...

I did find this.Is one your ride?

why-am-i-here-again-1.jpg

Yes indeed! Closest boat in the background. Bow 19. We recorded 42 kts on the racecourse today ! Could do with that on the VOR right now lol

  • Like 2
  • Downvote 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
21 minutes ago, HKG1203 said:

Yes indeed! Closest boat in the background. Bow 19. We recorded 42 kts on the racecourse today ! Could do with that on the VOR right now lol

Nic job on the Qualifying Series. Keep it going. 

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Well things are starting to get interesting in middle and we have some decisions to make soon. 

At least I have some company, BreitlingKapt'n Kirk & Vibroman are all looking at the same options....I guess I will know tomorrow morning if we are all thinking the same thing :) 

Screenshot_boats.jpg

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
8 hours ago, smellibits said:

BM, I think you were right.

 

When you and Thistle hardened up I was already to leeward and leaking by c5NM. So you 9 me ) go with the other route.

 

Sailed the stretch OKish.

 

But I think a quick boat well sailed wouldn't have suffered as much, but no way ( IMHO) in as conditions emerged, would it have panned out.

 

Great fun ( better half away ) jagging through islands though

 

Round the corner I'll  have some different options from you I think.

 

But also recognising it's bollocks not to kit the boat up fully.

When we started the race it was looking a good straight line trip to WA but it didn’t last long unfortunately. If we had have stayed with that weather and were now half way up the WA Coast it could have been a very interesting finish with the rest of the fleet. 

For this kind of leg you need the full bag of tricks to stay competitive.

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
7 minutes ago, Magool said:

Well things are starting to get interesting in middle and we have some decisions to make soon. 

At least I have some company, BreitlingKapt'n Kirk & Vibroman are all looking at the same options....I guess I will know tomorrow morning if we are all thinking the same thing :) 

Hard to say. I had a clear decission from some days ago but the door has been slowly closing. Option #2 is in play now  :)

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2 hours ago, Tunnel Rat said:

Nic job on the Qualifying Series. Keep it going. 

thanks mate, lost the lead today but still got a 5th in the race so all to play for going into tmrw.

 

I am also a member of the central pack however i fear we are going to be rolled by the eastern boats and wont get back to the west boats. I made this call from ECMWF forecasts so lets see how it goes. Only time will tell.

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, HKG1203 said:

I am also a member of the central pack however i fear we are going to be rolled by the eastern boats and wont get back to the west boats. I made this call from ECMWF forecasts so lets see how it goes. Only time will tell.

My point:  ECMWF is a great and proven weather model engine... for Europe. I don't know how it is suited at the other side of the world and how good is weather data input in the region for the model to run. In addition, both VR and Zezo are based on GFS data, so don't expect ECMWF predictions to occur in the game.

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Strange VR behavior here. I was 97th this AM, made a course change but when I checked 30 mins layer, i was 690th, still moving nicely on the correct course, in the correct location. I can see boats directly behind me that are less than 200th. Anyone know what might be causing this?

I am about to get on a 5 hour Intl flight with no WiFi and I'm 3 hours from a very narrow passage between two islands followed by several more islands. I haven't used waypoints since this new version so hoping all goes well.

 

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
3 minutes ago, Lat21 said:

Strange VR behavior here. I was 97th this AM, made a course change but when I checked 30 mins layer, i was 690th, still moving nicely on the correct course, in the correct location. I can see boats directly behind me that are less than 200th. Anyone know what might be causing this?

Most probably a VR waypoint change used as reference for classifications. 

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I've suddenly had a load of red dots show up on Zezo, I guess that these indicate the position of other boats......but I can't see any near Cape Leeuwin.

  • Like 2

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
9 minutes ago, Tunnel Rat said:

I've suddenly had a load of red dots show up on Zezo, I guess that these indicate the position of other boats......but I can't see any near Cape Leeuwin.

Ahh, that's what this probably is. So Zezo implemented his idea of satellite view into his page.

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

So most of the boats on my list either in the East or Middle group with the majority in the East accompanied by the actual VOR boats :) The frigate is also out there in the East for possible video coverage :D

5a524aa006118_ScreenHunter_01Jan_0717_25.jpg.d120d9de4357f818ef8b02b481ebc1f4.jpg

 

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
50 minutes ago, Marty6 said:

Ahh, that's what this probably is. So Zezo implemented his idea of satellite view into his page.

Yeah...  Pretty cool.  There's a thread in his forums where he explains it.  It shows dots for each spot where someone has initiated a routing.  I believe they expire hourly most of the time and after 10 minutes during wind updates.

Only downside is...  If someone does experimental routings from alternative starting spots, or if someone just wants to make nefarious red dots, you'll see red dots in places where there aren't actually any boats.

  • Like 2

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
13 minutes ago, Your Mom said:

Only downside is...  If someone does experimental routings from alternative starting spots, or if someone just wants to make nefarious red dots, you'll see red dots in places where there aren't actually any boats.

So all SA sailors have to team up and start routing in a strange places or near the leader to confuse the competitors :D:D

Btw nice line through the low wind zone in the Clipper leg, but the Clipper family boat is still glued to your ass.

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
7 hours ago, Tunnel Rat said:

I've suddenly had a load of red dots show up on Zezo, I guess that these indicate the position of other boats......but I can't see any near Cape Leeuwin.

I could see about 12 in the area last night when i did the routing on my phone.

We really need to work on our marketing program for the penguin monitoring route to Honkers.

  • Like 2

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Good morning, welcome to a new week.

The rankings below are from 01:00UTC.  Hamachi got very close to intimate knowledge of Panatinance Isl, but managed to squeeze through without contact and is currently leading, but pinching hard to make it to windward of Muyua Isl.  The group led by Magool seem to be aiming to the east of Bougainville, while Mom and company seem to be heading for the Indispensable Strait (what a fantastic name) between Guadalcanal and Malaita.

Save a thought for the hardy Southern Oceaners who have now rounded Cape Leeuwin and  hoisted Gennakers at last.  I understand why they are contemplating sacking their PR agent, with a greater distance to Hamachi, than he has to the finish.....

 

Place SA Name Boat Name Dist to Leader
1 Lat21 Hamachi SA 3089.08
2 Tunnel Rat Mongrel 10.5
3 Mike G MikeVentura 66.7
4 Mud Sailor Mudsailor SA 68.7
5 Magool Magool 109
6 daan62 hutspot77 112
7 Vibroman Vibroman_SA 118.1
8 Kapt'n Kirk prowler_1-SA 119.6
9 Breitling Breitling_SA 120.1
10 briar Wing it 160.5
11 Driftwood Me Rongo Rekohu SA 170.9
12 HKG1203 HKG1203 172
13 The Actual Dave Davemw 214.6
14 Iced Tea rule69 218.6
15 Rainbow Spirit Rainbow Spirit II 260.5
16 Hike, Bitches HikeBitches 304.3
17 Marty6 Cambodunum 307.9
18 Your Mom Your Mom SA 309.6
19 prettyhatemachine prettyhatemachine 316.8
20 Gybe Turkey Gybe Turkey 317
21 From The Rail A-Squared 319.8
22 Wet Hog WetHog-SA 326
23 Ozzy Ozzy85 337.8
24 Golden Rose Golden Rose SA 340.7
25 Blue Mountain YC  shockwave11 3246.5
26 I Sail The Black Boat Thistle1678 3263.4
  • Like 4

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Excuse the naive question but what islands are marks of the course? Is it PNG or the Solomon's per the real thing or is it do whatever ya want just get there first?

  • Like 1
  • Downvote 2

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
48 minutes ago, AzzzA said:

Excuse the naive question but what islands are marks of the course? Is it PNG or the Solomon's per the real thing or is it do whatever ya want just get there first?

No marks in virtual regatta for this leg. Just go to HK.

And reading the last pages of a thread helps even if simply asking a question answered multiple times is easier ;)

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2 hours ago, Marty6 said:

No marks in virtual regatta for this leg. Just go to HK.

And reading the last pages of a thread helps even if simply asking a question answered multiple times is easier ;)

Thanks Marty.

I did a search for 'course' returned 70 odd answers non of which answered the question

And thanks for the downvote too mate. Way to encourage newbs

 

  • Like 2

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
6 hours ago, AzzzA said:

Thanks Marty.

I did a search for 'course' returned 70 odd answers non of which answered the question

And thanks for the downvote too mate. Way to encourage newbs

 

AzzzA,

You have to have a thick skin here...there are a few "angry elves" out there.

  • Like 3
  • Downvote 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
25 minutes ago, rolltak said:

AzzzA,

You have to have a thick skin here...there are a few "angry elves" out there.

No no no. We are all cuddly bunnies here having a group hug. If you want angry elves go to either Political Anarchy or America’s Cup Anarchy, but wash yourselves all over in bleach, particularly your mind, before you come back here. 

  • Like 3
  • Downvote 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, Shorthanded said:

Your Mom, Gybe Turkey, Stufishing....nice job catching Mangina. 

I believe Gushami is leading the East.  Aside from me, Stu, GT, and Mangina.  I'm also aware of Toppen and Raketa chasing Gushami.

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, Shorthanded said:

Your Mom, Gybe Turkey, Stufishing....nice job catching Mangina. 

Thanks looks like Mangina was originally routing east of San Cristobal and had to soak it down to follow our passage through. At the moment very happy to not only have a 4 kt minimum wind speed but to also be sailing through this shit at or near 90 TWA 

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, Your Mom said:

I believe Gushami is leading the East.  Aside from me, Stu, GT, and Mangina.  I'm also aware of Toppen and Raketa chasing Gushami.

I am bringing up the rear of this group so don't forget about me.  :)

Also, the rescue frigate is following us.  Not sure if thats a good thing or a bad thing.

WetHog  :ph34r:

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
24 minutes ago, WetHog said:

I am bringing up the rear of this group so don't forget about me.  :)

Also, the rescue frigate is following us.  Not sure if thats a good thing or a bad thing.

WetHog  :ph34r:

Sorry man!  You’re killing it too!  Don’t worry about that frigate. I have a good feeling about being over here on the east side. 

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2 hours ago, Gybe Turkey said:

sailing through this shit at or near 90 TWA 

That's the thing that I think is causing the exceptional volatility in the routings.  The super-light windspeeds in the real GFS forecast model mean that it's to be expected that we'll see dramatic changes in wind angle every time a new forecast comes out.  If the game was showing 0.7 kts, you wouldn't be surprised at all to see the angle change dramatically with every forecast update.  But since the game uses the GFS angles while holding the minimum windspeed at 4 kts, those dramatic changes in angle totally change which end of the pack is favored every time a new forecast comes along.  When you get it on the beam, you can do 7+ knots in the right direction, and move toward the real wind fast.  When you get it ahead or aft, you're screwed.  Which one you're going to get totally changes every time a new GFS file comes out.

I'm really looking forward to sailing in 4.1 kts.  That alone should be enough to expect more stability in the wind direction.

 

  • Like 2

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
7 hours ago, rolltak said:

AzzzA,

You have to have a thick skin here...there are a few "angry elves" out there.

All good mate.

  • Like 3

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

As long as no group has any real leverage over the others....  this is fucking ridculous.  4 wildly divergent paths and many in betweens.  I’m just hoping to squeeze through to the north and go from there. Fascinating and massively educational.  Imagine if the actual Volvo boats could take any andall paths? It would be mayhem. 

  • Like 2

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites