WetHog

VOR '17-'18 - THE GAME

8 minutes ago, RImike said:

Considering how short the first leg is, is it really worth it and then spend the money on the second leg to Cape Town?

I doubt there will be strong enough winds for the strong wind sails and the foils. So choosing those two is a waste of credit.

Looks like they just changed it to match the longer course.  I think the real VOR had four course options, right?  I guess VR initialized the course with a random choice of the four, and has now adjusted to match the official decision.  Moot for the first part, since everyone has to funnel through Gibraltar.  Biggest impact is on boat setup decisions.

5 hours ago, I Sail The Black Boat said:

Last time they had actual rules (and prizes) including SIs for the course haven't seen anything like that yet in my poking around...

Don't get your hopes up.  My guess is that if any information surfaces, it'll be in VOR's announcements, not VR.

OK, I'm in for leg 1.  I've gone for the foils, light wind sails and a hull polish, using credits from the Prologue and credits for this race.

I may consider going for the full package for Leg 2, depending on how I enjoy Leg 1.

Have fun everyone.

Does anyone else find that if you open the The Game thread that it then says you have read all other threads? 

Ok, I guess I am in but will be travelling Sunday after the start. Just logged in for the first time since the Vendee and registered for the VOR yesterday. All of my personal info and credits that were left over from the past showed up on my account but the name says Guest14147. Anyone have a clue why? Maybe because this race is not active yet and I did see that signing in as a guest is an option. I have not dropped in on one of the other races to play with the new features yet maybe it is time and I will see if my name comes back as well as boats that I was following.

8 hours ago, Gybe Turkey said:

Ok, I guess I am in but will be travelling Sunday after the start. Just logged in for the first time since the Vendee and registered for the VOR yesterday. All of my personal info and credits that were left over from the past showed up on my account but the name says Guest14147. Anyone have a clue why? Maybe because this race is not active yet and I did see that signing in as a guest is an option. I have not dropped in on one of the other races to play with the new features yet maybe it is time and I will see if my name comes back as well as boats that I was following.

You might have a mess.  I'm not sure.  It remembers you on whatever computer you're using, and if you don't log in with a specific ID, it gives you a random Guestxxxxx ID.  It would appear that you got a randomly generated ID, and that it connected your credits from your computer cookies to the random one.  I think it's a one-time deal when you first log in, my guess is that if you log out and log back in with your Gybe Turkey account, it might start you over with no credits.  I'm not sure.  Best recommendation would be to submit a support request via their Help page.  They actually usually respond to that particular kind of thing (administrative, rather than complaining about poor design decisions or game delivery foulups) pretty well.

I am in again too after having a practice on the new format in the Mini's. The weather being card based and the multiplier on waypoint cards when setting a few in sequence I found annoying but should be better now I understand not to try and string 5 waypoint together then cancel and lose the cards

I just received an email inviting me to do the VORG, as a past participant.  Mostly just normal promotional stuff, but two bits of useful information:

- Overall standings will be based on point totals (ie, you earn points for your finishes, and standings overall are the sum)

- Only your best 6 scores count.  Your weakest 5 are throwouts.  So...  if you have a business trip or vacation or whatever and can't do well in a leg, you can just skip the leg and still do fine overall in the end.

It seems that the world rankings don't care what your final overall result is events like this, though.  World rankings are driven off of inidividual leg results.  So if you want to rise in the world rankings, you need to do all of the legs.  I'll be content to drop out of #1 in the new system.  Sustaining #1 in this system would require doing every leg of every race with full attention, which is more than I'm willing to commit.  Weird, though...  it's listing VORG legs as Category 6, and Clipper legs as Category 5.  So, oddly, it seems that the Clipper is more important for world rankings than the VORG.  This could change by leg, though...  it's possible that they're categorizing based on the length of the event, and VORG Leg 1 is shorter than Clipper Leg 2.

On IOS there is also a new update for the App available for download

The boat name (username) can now be changed in the user profile (tap avatar or existing username in app)

I don't get why they have foils creating more speed downwind for these boats... they're not foilers as in the new IMOCA's, they're just straight leeway foils. This is dumb. 

4 hours ago, tommmzzz said:

I don't get why they have foils creating more speed downwind for these boats... they're not foilers as in the new IMOCA's, they're just straight leeway foils. This is dumb. 

Yeah...  one of the subtler big flaws in the new version is that the added "features" that you conveniently need to purchase to be fully competitive mean that the boats aren't as comparable to the real boats as they should be.  Even the Clippers have foils.  I think they're using IMOCA polars for the Clipper.  Also, there's no downside to foils like in real life...  In the Mini Transat, the real life boats with foils were slow in upwind lightwind conditions, but in the game, the foils were irrelevant unless/until beneficial.

It is what it is...  We need to race the race being offered rather than race it like we're on the real boats.  Or not do it.  Apparently they've scaled back the free cards even more.  I'm hearing that now it's 8 hours between free cards, and fewer cards per free barrel, and lower odds of "programmation" cards.  At this point, I'm just hoping I can finish VORG without running out of credits.  I don't want to send any more money to this game in its current format.

I'll be racing in a real life regatta when VOR Leg 1 starts.  Hopefully I can set a course before the real races start, alter course before towing home (6-hour drive), and still be in a competitive position when I get home.  The good news is that the first several hours of the race aren't looking too complicated.

I'm with you Mom, Unless they make significant improvements to the gameplay, I'm out when I run out of Credits. Unfortunately I have quite a few.....

I bought the large pack before the RORC 600 race, about a week  before they fucked up waypoints totally. Despite the time since,  I haven't forgotten.

I’m trying to launch my other boat. Got a email it’s there just can’t switch accounts on iPad app. Ideas?

I-got in guest86719 guess-it forgot my boats name. 6000 points ready to use!

Plugged in the MacBook to get in, the games got weather showing!

Two boats

Funboat : (low points) Me Rongo SA 

Light Air set up 

Raceboat: guest68791(Me Rongo Rekohu SA when renaming is possible) 

Light air set up, winches, code O

help card just suggests a course for you. TWA is the true wind angle to your boat and is the basis for all your speed calculations. And we're off, no server crash touch wood.

1 minute ago, vibroman said:

game fucked?

8 mins in still showing start imminent?

It's working for me, I'm still trying to figure out how True Wind Mode (pilot mode essentially) works

1 hour ago, RImike said:

It's working for me, I'm still trying to figure out how True Wind Mode (pilot mode essentially) works

I think I figured it out, it's the lock icon next to the TWA info box

For those of use who want to use Zezo, does anyone know how to see your Lat/Long on the game screen? 

Or do we have to just take a guess and put that into Zezo?

15 minutes ago, Icedtea said:

For those of use who want to use Zezo, does anyone know how to see your Lat/Long on the game screen? 

Click or tab on your boat and a information card (instead of showing compass and options) should pop up on the left side. Press left arrow there once and you see your coordinates.

On ‎10‎/‎13‎/‎2017 at 4:07 PM, Tris.c said:

Whilst viewing the race, click in the image on the boat and scroll to the far right of the pop up window, goes through wind speed, boat speed, TWA, distance etc before getting to lat/long.

16 minutes ago, Icedtea said:

Or do we have to just take a guess and put that into Zezo?

EDIT....Beaten to it I see!

4 minutes ago, Marty6 said:

Click or tab on your boat and a information card (instead of showing compass and options) should pop up on the left side. Press left arrow there once and you see your coordinates.

Thank you! 

in again... 

started a bit late... (had a long car drive home from the dragon gold cup in st. tropez to home (close to amsterdam) yesterday and didn't set an alarmclock)

invested my FREE credits in code 0 and light wind sails

Hutspot77

Going well so far. Reckon there'll be a bit of a restart at Gibraltar anyway.

I'm assuming the bought options only last for this leg?

Yeah..i am just sailing along and trying not smash into solid bits. Do we have an SA group or anything? I only see myself tooling around the Med in 15,xxx place. :rolleyes:

Does the adding people to follow work for you? So that they show up in the players followed ranking.

29 minutes ago, Marty6 said:

Does the adding people to follow work for you? So that they show up in the players followed ranking.

You have to click it twice, click it to make it green with a question mark, then again to actually add them

4 minutes ago, Icedtea said:

You have to click it twice, click it to make it green with a question mark, then again to actually add them

Thanks

Pretty cool to wake up and see VR added the actual boats to the game.  Even cooler to see my boat in the same neighborhood as the real boats. 

WetHog  :ph34r:

Meh, they aren't updating the real boats that frequently so being in the same neighborhood isn't that cool after all.  

WetHog  :ph34r:

18 hours ago, DtM said:

I think Mom preset a course and is off the air at a real regatta.

Correct.  Finished well in a regatta yesterday, and then towed 6+ hours home, and then was in dire need of sleep last night.  Had to pay for 3 or 4 nav packs just to make it do a halfway decent night while I was sleeping.  That's the situation that will likely cause me to quit within a few months if it doesn't improve.

Has anyone been able to add friends or send a message to another boat?  I've been trying and cannot get the the request to send or add to my "friend list".  Any suggestions or help would be appreciated.

1 hour ago, Golden Rose said:

Has anyone been able to add friends or send a message to another boat?  I've been trying and cannot get the the request to send or add to my "friend list".  Any suggestions or help would be appreciated.

click twice...

one fun extra this version is your sail inventory in combination with zezo.... (full exta pack on/off)

hutspot77

1 hour ago, Golden Rose said:

This worked for me:

8 hours ago, Icedtea said:

The interface for the last game was perfect. I have no idea why they changed it. I will not be playing or spending money this time around. 

I guess I'm in since they've finally recognized my boat.  I started a little late and am still not sure about how the cards and credits work.

Seems like you are allotted only a certain number per leg?  I tried to buy some waypoints to get me through the night (no soundtrack Driftwood, please) but they took my money and ran as far as I can tell.

I'll re-read YM's notes.

Edited by cstrand

On 10/18/2017 at 5:41 PM, Your Mom said:

You might have a mess.  I'm not sure.  It remembers you on whatever computer you're using, and if you don't log in with a specific ID, it gives you a random Guestxxxxx ID.  It would appear that you got a randomly generated ID, and that it connected your credits from your computer cookies to the random one.  I think it's a one-time deal when you first log in, my guess is that if you log out and log back in with your Gybe Turkey account, it might start you over with no credits.  I'm not sure.  Best recommendation would be to submit a support request via their Help page.  They actually usually respond to that particular kind of thing (administrative, rather than complaining about poor design decisions or game delivery foulups) pretty well.

I was a guest till today now the proper user name Me Rongo Rekohu SA showed up. 36 hrs. Now if I can just keep this thing going straight and off the rocks.I loved in saw my old credits, user info,just the name was guest....

Wow, I really hate hate hate this "cards" system.  I played the prologue and it seemed ok (because apparently I lucked into getting useful cards), but in this race I've received 1 programmation card and a bunch of useless weather (I can look up weather anywhere else) and stealth (I really don't need these) cards. So I lost several thousand places today at work. I got a couple "Help" cards too, and I hoped they would be able to stand in as a sort of psuedo-programmation card or something, but for some reason it tried to route me back to the east. Well, I don't want a route through the canal. So that wasn't a lot of "help."

Great user experience.

Yes, its amazing how useless the cards can be. Ive got a stack of "help" cards which provide anything but...

I notice these foils are having an effect. Yesterday i spent an hour and a half probably heading into a softening breeze when I forgot to gybe back into the center.  The hit in time was about 45mins to the leaders, so the foiling speed of the leaders must have led to that. Been trying to claw my back ever since, hard work!

just started. which means I'm very deep. hoping to pass some zombie boats. 2,000 passes in last 2 hrs. leg 2 will be the real start for me. damn app gulps battery. agreed on the cards. they suck. help cards are garbage.

8 hours ago, daan62 said:

is it possible to form groups in the new version?

Eventually yes, I think, but VR currently has their Forum and Groups disabled.  I think they'll bring both back whenever they think the world has accepted the new version and won't overload the forum with complaints.

4 hours ago, joeboy said:

Wow, I really hate hate hate this "cards" system.  I played the prologue and it seemed ok (because apparently I lucked into getting useful cards), but in this race I've received 1 programmation card and a bunch of useless weather (I can look up weather anywhere else) and stealth (I really don't need these) cards. So I lost several thousand places today at work. I got a couple "Help" cards too, and I hoped they would be able to stand in as a sort of psuedo-programmation card or something, but for some reason it tried to route me back to the east. Well, I don't want a route through the canal. So that wasn't a lot of "help."

Great user experience.

Between the prologue and now, they reduced the frequency of free cards from once per 5 hours to once per 8, and I think they also reduced the odds of getting programmation cards.  The one consolation for the useless cards is...  you'll get 10 credits back for each one you still hold at the finish.  So it's worth it to accumulate the occasional free cards and slog it out to the finish even if your finish is going to suck.  I've heard some players talk about parallel processing races (like doing Clipper legs with zero effort, straight-lining to the finish and finishing a week after the winner, accumulating free cards to cash in at the finish, and then using those credits in VOR).  I don't have the patience for that, but it's an option.

In other words, they've turned that part of it into something like Clash of Clans or whatever, where you can spend money, or spend tons of time "farming" credits, and you need to do one or the other to compete in cases like today where it was hours of short-gybing.  Which is why I won't be around all that long if it stays like this.  There will be others who thrive on that, who will knock me out of the top of the rankings, and I'll let them go and then I'll quit when my credits run out.  For the moment, I have a solid credit balance to burn through.  Hopefully enough to get me through VORG.

Funny...  Looks like the rankings are based on distance to Lisbon.  It'll be interesting to see what happens if someone skips the turning mark and goes straight to Lisbon, if that doesn't get fixed in the meantime.

Pretty routine situation for VR.  Business as usual.

Edit: It seems to depend on where you are on the course.  My DTF still requires turning the mark...  but the current "leaders" are based on DTLisbon.

5 minutes ago, Your Mom said:

Funny...  Looks like the rankings are based on distance to Lisbon.  It'll be interesting to see what happens if someone skips the turning mark and goes straight to Lisbon, if that doesn't get fixed in the meantime.

Pretty routine situation for VR.  Business as usual.

Edit: It seems to depend on where you are on the course.  My DTF still requires turning the mark...  but the current "leaders" are based on DTLisbon.

I think you're right- most of the fleet seem to be doing 30min gybes, but the places are going up and down from low 1k to mid 4ks each time...

EDIT: Your MOM and Brietling etc seem to be doing 15min gybes, or less :-)

No more gybes !  (I hope...).  

BTW, if you want to schedule a course change you use a programmation card. But if you want a second one you need 2 (two) cards, 3 cards for the third schedule, and so on...  So it has been a completely nightmare last night.

Yeah - being in Singapore, with the time zone difference I found myself going through the narrow point of the Straights in the small hrs of the night - so, placed 2 waypoints and went to bed - lost 2k positions haha!

3 hours ago, Breitling said:

No more gybes !  (I hope...).  

BTW, if you want to schedule a course change you use a programmation card. But if you want a second one you need 2 (two) cards, 3 cards for the third schedule, and so on...  So it has been a completely nightmare last night.

Yep  I ran out of programation cards so turned to waypoints for all the gybes. Big mistake as I  lost another hour to the leading group :(

Its super annoying that in the nav card pack you get 7 way point and 3 program cards with the multipliers on the course changes. 

8 hours ago, Your Mom said:

Between the prologue and now, they reduced the frequency of free cards from once per 5 hours to once per 8, and I think they also reduced the odds of getting programmation cards. 

Additionally they also reduced the number of cards you get for each barrel. Before it was 4 known or 5 random and now it's 3 known or 4 random. Probably people where hoarding the cards too much to get credits after the race in VRs opinion.

[Edit]

Also just noticed that the duration of the autosail card changed from 24h to 12h.

[/Edit]

Also agree, that ranking was/is a little fluky when suddenly one jumps to over 800 NM distance behind ;)

FML, I scheduled a heading change and it didn't happen, it ran me in to the Earth. I hate these cards, they are useless. As others have mentioned you get a set amount of them which I keep happen to be getting weather and nothing else of value so I have to use them up. 

Yeah this card business is bull shit.  I get they want to make money but this is screwing with the game in an extremely negative way. 

Sure paying one flat fee to have all the bells and whistles for the entire race last time would be to good to be true this time, but they could at least give all the bells and whistles for 1 price per leg this time.  I payed $5.15 USD for all the bells and whistles now, boat color, boat polish, foils, etc... if they added an additional $5.00 for unlimited way points, navigation, sail change, etc... so charge for me $10.15 per leg that would be worth it.  They would still make a nice chunk of change this edition compared to last.  

Anyway, set a couple navigation points before bedtime and I am still in the general vicinity of the Breitling, Momma and the lead pack.  Was pleasantly surprised.  Figured I would be screwed by an overnight wind shift.

I just submitted a lengthy support ticket about the card situation.  I doubt anything will come of it but I like playing this game with you guys so it was worth a shot.

2 hours ago, Gybe Turkey said:

This 4 knot minimum wind speed sure takes a lot of the strategic game out of it

Yeah...  add that to the silly things they've done to appeal to a broader audience rather than serious sailors.

Broader audience indeed. VRs response to my ticket about the cards:

Thank you for your message and providing your feedback.

The card system we put in place with the new version is friendlier towards non-paying players, and this is how we wanted it to be.

Think of how it used to be before the update; you had to pay in order to access all the options you can now access for free with cards. 

These cards can be obtained randomly or purchased with credits, but remember these credits don't have to be purchased.  There are free credits offered at signup and even offered free when you start a race.

There are even free nav instrument cards offered regularly throughout the entire race.  Remember too that unused nav instrument cards are redeemed at the end of each race and converted in credits.

Free credits are even offered at the end of each race depending on your result.

As our developers always welcome the feedback and ideas of our players; your comments will be forwarded to them.  Whereas players ideas or suggestions might not make it into the game, we appreciate the feedback nonetheless.

As Virtual Regatta is an online game and by definition has never reached its final state.  Please keep in mind that the game is always evolving as things are added and the game play tweaked. 

Always make sure to keep your game up-to-date and follow any changes that are made to the game.  As the game evolves we hope you will find some changes are even more to your liking. 

If you have future questions or concerns, please don't hesitate to contact us again.

Whatever. 

WetHog  :ph34r:

Right ah North to WIND.... I may go DFL racing again left at Greenland around the top hi and drop into the Pacific if the game runs that long.

18 minutes ago, DRIFTW00D said:

Right ah North to WIND.... I may go DFL racing again left at Greenland around the top hi and drop into the Pacific if the game runs that long.

Oh yeah...  They also changed the ranking displays so you can't see the entire world page-by-page, so there's no way to see who's DFL.  I used to really enjoy checking the couple pages before and after me in the rankings to pick boats to track progress against, etc.  Can't really do that anymore.

Well as long as the position keeps going down I’ll be happy. Part of the DFL game is where is the point farthest from the finish. I think not rounding the island will add miles. Could affect the qualification as the mark not rounded DNFs the race

2 hours ago, I Sail The Black Boat said:

Well I'm still in for now, hopefully it gets better, not holding my breath though...  For now I am also blogging along as time allows at vr-navigator feel free to jump in there as well. 

In your tools section think about adding https://www.windy.com/ .  What’s your boats name.

I got my fun boat Me Rongo SA and a ground hog race boat LOL... Me Rongo Rekohu SA