Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

WetHog

VOR '17-'18 - THE GAME

I was looking into going around the north tip and then through the cut south of Wellington.  But it had a 4 hour penalty.  Would have been interesting.

which way did Breitling go ?

G'Day all, just stumbled across this forum, had a good read over the past hour or so while  starting the VOR Auckland to Itajai race. Thought I'd sign up. Been racing since the Sydney to Hobart and slowly getting my head around the game.

Ok, let's see how this leg goes..I was an hour late to the start, but I had preset my boat to not be pointing directly into the wind at least, and got her going better  before smacking into any of the beautiful NZ coast.

Game on, Bitches!

Interesting that the boats that went straight into the Firth of Thames were leading the race. That's roughly the great circle route to Brazil.

7 hours ago, Fry_ said:

G'Day all, just stumbled across this forum, had a good read over the past hour or so while  starting the VOR Auckland to Itajai race. Thought I'd sign up. Been racing since the Sydney to Hobart and slowly getting my head around the game.

Welcome Fry, I started midway thru the Hobart too, go the Aussies.

9 hours ago, Fry_ said:

What’s your boat name? I can add you to the list. 

1 hour ago, Gufmiester said:

Yikes Mongrel, did you leave something on the wharf?

Capture.JPG

Bloody App and pocket colluding to put me behind Mom. Curses!

Getting back into the race, think it's going to be pretty much a procession until we're about 1/2 down the Coast of NZ...already feel myself being sucked back into the game god dammit.

Bought all options for this leg too

6 minutes ago, Gufmiester said:

Funny how all the 1st place holders are beaching themselves

They forgot to look where they were going, sailed into a dead end!

20 minutes ago, Gufmiester said:

You're better off ignoring th rankings until near the finish, they aren't very accurate until then...unless those people's boats have wheels, they're not getting anywhere fast

1 hour ago, Gufmiester said:

That's the whole point right there! Get to #1 quick, and once you have, take a screenshot and flame out in a blaze of glory! :P

2 hours ago, Gufmiester said:

Pilot whale mentality. 

Speaking of which, looks like quite the pod heading to East Cape.

2 hours ago, unplugged34 said:

what browser's are ppl using.  I am using Chrome and constantly get out of memory issues.  The PC has 12Gb installed.

I'm using chrome also and get the same thing. I believe it's graphic memory that's getting sucked up. Burned up some onboard graphic memory and trashed my laptop by leaving it running back in January. I really need to shut it down when not checking things out

3 hours ago, unplugged34 said:

what browser's are ppl using.  I am using Chrome and constantly get out of memory issues.  The PC has 12Gb installed.

Same here (Chrome, PC, 16GB) since a recent version of VR. Until about a couple weeks ago it ran without a hitch and now i also get those errors. Another "feature" is the reloading of the home screen if i switch back to the browser after several minutes of inactivity in VR. Since those frequent refreshes i haven't seen the memory issue. My MSI Afterbruner GPU monitor shows no increase in GPU memory usage.

I also use the iOS app on the tablet, but more often Chrome on the PC because of the VR Dashboard and it's feature to reload Zezo with current position of the boat.

Leaders rounding East Cape:

5aaee148ecc30_ScreenHunter_03Mar_1822_58.jpg.31606293d10961e404ca3c87fc13e380.jpg

Around the headland, got programmed courses to bear away overnight, auto sails....to the pub!!

2 hours ago, Mr. Fixit's brother,, Mr. Fixit said:

I'm using chrome also and get the same thing. I believe it's graphic memory that's getting sucked up. Burned up some onboard graphic memory and trashed my laptop by leaving it running back in January. I really need to shut it down when not checking things out

Me too..the solution I've found is to hit F5 and refresh the page. I have a pretty old PC (only 4GB RAM) out here in the garage, so it is limping along. But reloading the tab seems to work OK.

Hello,

Here are the 01:00UTC rankings for Group A.  @mkgsailor and @short-handed My email will not allow this info out, so please copy from below.

Cheers,
TR

image.png.a627ec82fbbe447fdde7be5baa2e240d.png

Place SA Name Boat Name Dist to Leader
1 Your Mom Your Mom SA 6375.31
2 Kapt'n Kirk prowler_1-SA 0.27
3 I Sail The Black Boat Thistle1678 0.53
4 prettyhatemachine prettyhatemachine 0.61
5 Blue Mountain YC  shockwave11 1.09
6 HKG1203 HKG1203 1.14
7 Breitling Breitling_SA 1.96
8 Rainbow Spirit Rainbow Spirit II 2.13
9 Golden Rose Golden Rose SA 2.38
10 Mud Sailor Mudsailor SA 2.47
11 Magool Magool 2.48
12 Shorthanded Shorty 2.99
13 Tunnel Rat Mongrel 5.02
14 Wet Hog WetHog-SA 5.68
15 daan62 hutspot77 7.19
16 Iced Tea rule69 8.02
17   Sambaopreis 8.46
18 Ozzy Ozzy85 8.52
19 Marty6 Cambodunum 9.31
20 Vibroman Vibroman_SA 15.6
21 From The Rail A-Squared 17.8
22 Gybe Turkey Gybe Turkey 19.5
23 Mike G MikeVentura 24
24 Hike, Bitches HikeBitches 33.9
25 Driftwood Me Rongo Rekohu SA 35.7
26 Lat21 Hamachi SA DNC

tr, mkg and shorty, As always, thanks for all the work related to the giant pain in the ass the rankings must be!

Oops....big fail on my part.  I had to go into work today and I was in the plant away from my devices, so I wasn't able to grab screen shots.  Apologies to group C. Tomorrow for sure, I promise.

13 hours ago, HKG1203 said:

Tunnel rat, did you wake up at the unacceptable hour of 9am for the start today on a Sunday?!

I was already awake by 7:00, my kids however, were not. 

Anyone seen a train around here? I need to be in Itajai by Easter Friday morning when I head off grid into the mountains

18 hours ago, Shorthanded said:

What’s your boat name? I can add you to the list. 

That would be awesome, my boat name is Fry

Thanks Shorthanded, here i am hanging out with the leaders in pos. 3658

Capture.JPG

Hanging in just behind the leaders for once. 

Going to gybe West in a few hours. Didn't think it was worth it, but with the forecast now we're looking at far more breeze and a bit more favourable an angle - make a great slingshot in to the Souther ocean

Back on a computer after the weekend. Did anyone immediately run aground following the start? The race started and instead of being an hour from the next tack just before land I was already aground. 

2 hours ago, RImike said:

Back on a computer after the weekend. Did anyone immediately run aground following the start? The race started and instead of being an hour from the next tack just before land I was already aground. 

It was going to be a tough start for anyone who wasn't going to be online during the first hour and didn't have any "programmation" cards to play (nor the full pack).

BTW...  Did anyone try going around the North end of NZ and down its West coast?  I considered it, but decided against it.  Would have been a bold risk.  I'm curious to find someone who tried it with serious effort, as I'd like to know how it plays out.

1100 Eastern Time, trying to use the extended forecast.. Am I the only one that's getting only generic wind bands? Normal circulation for highs and lows shown properly for west of Australia, however the Southern ocean east of NZ looks fishy, as if they turned off the weather plot for west of -170 deg.

10 minutes ago, Your Mom said:

It was going to be a tough start for anyone who wasn't going to be online during the first hour and didn't have any "programmation" cards to play (nor the full pack).

BTW...  Did anyone try going around the North end of NZ and down its West coast?  I considered it, but decided against it.  Would have been a bold risk.  I'm curious to find someone who tried it with serious effort, as I'd like to know how it plays out.

Doesn’t look like anyone from this group went north. 

25 minutes ago, Your Mom said:

I was online, watching the start however instead of being 1 hour away from land after the start, I had arrived there within 15 minutes. Thankfully I was there to turn around however that meant about 15 minutes of down time getting off the rocks and trying to find an un-obstructed route to open water. 

2 hours ago, RImike said:

I was online, watching the start however instead of being 1 hour away from land after the start, I had arrived there within 15 minutes. Thankfully I was there to turn around however that meant about 15 minutes of down time getting off the rocks and trying to find an un-obstructed route to open water. 

Perhaps you were off by one hour at the start, with the US going in daylight savings time last week? I know I had to think twice about it!

3 hours ago, Your Mom said:

I considered the north route too, but it seemed to be about 4-9 hours longer each time I looked at it.

Keep an eye out for the Bounty Islands and Antipodes.  My current route takes me between them, so some of the fleet will pass close to them, probably in the middle of the US night tonight for most.

Antipodes islands are visible as a speck at zoom level 80 nm, and the name actually pops up at zoom level 30 nm.

Bounty islands are tougher to find.  About 120 nm NNNE of Antipodes.  Visible as a speck at zoom level 50 nm, but you have to zoom to about 5 nm to see them with any accuracy.  The name never comes up.  Oddly, they're colored blue, which makes them even harder to see.

54 minutes ago, Your Mom said:

Keep an eye out for the Bounty Islands and Antipodes.

Thanks for the heads up. Much appreciated.

6 hours ago, fritzk said:

1100 Eastern Time, trying to use the extended forecast.. Am I the only one that's getting only generic wind bands? Normal circulation for highs and lows shown properly for west of Australia, however the Southern ocean east of NZ looks fishy, as if they turned off the weather plot for west of -170 deg.

5ab028153e709_Bildschirmfoto2018-03-19um22_10_19.png.f14f2431c3b8bf2d49d42ba7bc962d82.png

Maybe I should rethink the routing and throw Zezo overboard...

I'm diving south now, sailing as fast as possible. 

Should be like this until the horn

Milli:

Exactly what I was seeing. However I've since found it only seems to be a bug with the browser version. If I go in on my mobile, its shows the wind patterns properly. Makes it a bit rough on me though as the screens too small . :-P

I hate that you cant lock the steering rose when playing on a snart phone, twice in the last 24 hours I’ve gone off track when I’ve put the phone in my pocket, grrrrrr!

I can’t wait to get my PC back up and working, dumb phones would be a better name then ‘smart’ phones!

35 minutes ago, Rainbow Spirit said:

I hate that you cant lock the steering rose when playing on a snart phone, twice in the last 24 hours I’ve gone off track when I’ve put the phone in my pocket, grrrrrr!

Probably best to exit app completely and even delete it from memory. If you still are able to accidentally start it remove the app from desktop on Android or move it into a folder on iOS the make it harder to involuntary start it.

Pleasant company even if i bring up almost the rear.

5ab05ecb9b541_ScreenHunter_06Mar_2002_06.jpg.85e979bbd284c4aa85592b96799d26ba.jpg

Good morning boys and girls.  Here are the 01:00UTC rankings.  The current leaders in the SA groups are those who resisted the urge to gybe in the wrong direction, however those people are now roughly 5kts slower than the western gang.  It looks like it could be pretty quick to the Horn (Zezo is saying 7 days) and then another 7days to Itajai.

Have fun!

Place SA Name Boat Name Dist to Leader
1   Sandpipper 5947.3
2 Vibroman Vibroman_SA 30.5
3 Gybe Turkey Gybe Turkey 35.2
4 Hike, Bitches HikeBitches 37.8
5 prettyhatemachine prettyhatemachine 59.7
6 Your Mom Your Mom SA 60.2
7 Kapt'n Kirk prowler_1-SA 61.2
8 Breitling Breitling_SA 61.6
9 Shorthanded Shorty 63.7
10 I Sail The Black Boat Thistle1678 63.8
11 HKG1203 HKG1203 65.5
12 Golden Rose Golden Rose SA 66.4
13 Wet Hog WetHog-SA 68.4
14 Driftwood Me Rongo Rekohu SA 73.4
15 From The Rail A-Squared 74.3
16 Iced Tea rule69 77.2
17 Magool Magool 78.4
18 Marty6 Cambodunum 78.7
19 Tunnel Rat Mongrel 82.6
20 Mud Sailor Mudsailor SA 83.9
21 Rainbow Spirit Rainbow Spirit II 85.5
22 Sambaopreis Sambaopreis 89.1
23 Blue Mountain YC  shockwave11 89.7
24 Ozzy Ozzy85 91.3
25 daan62 hutspot77 97.4
26 Mike G MikeVentura 120

Nothing like sunset going to Solomons on a quieter body of water/Chesapeake bay

mixed 003.JPG

And here are the full standings.  mkgsailor has too much on his plate this leg to keep track of group B, so I'm covering for the short term, but if there are any spreadsheet savvy individuals out there that have time to update the standings on a daily basis, let me know if you're up for it.

Rank Group SA Name Boat Name DTL
1 A,B,C Sandpipper Sandpipper 5947.3
2 C 33jesus jesus 2.5
3 B unplugged Dcarr 3.9
4 B GrandbendOnt GrandbendOnt 6.6
5 C razcaillou razcaillou 27.2
6 C Patman Patman 28.5
7 A Vibroman Vibroman_SA 30.5
8 B gary  hschutz 33.4
9 A Gybe Turkey Gybe Turkey 35.2
10 A Hike, Bitches HikeBitches 37.8
11 C Fry_ Fry 43.6
12 B Rimike rider1982 47.3
13 C KMan2K7 KMan2K7 47.4
14 A prettyhatemachine prettyhatemachine 59.7
15 B Milli Blitzquart 59.8
16 B Your Mom Your Mom SA 60.2
17 C JeSa-SA JeSa 60.6
18 A Kapt'n Kirk prowler_1-SA 61.2
19 A Breitling Breitling_SA 61.6
20 B sailon2 jahmbo SA 62.1
21 C mred mistered 62.5
22 A I Sail The Black Boat Thistle1678 63.8
23 C Shorthanded Shorty 64.0
24 A HKG1203 HKG1203 65.5
25 A Golden Rose Golden Rose SA 66.4
26 C 4010 grimlin 68.2
27 A Wet Hog WetHog-SA 68.4
28 C rolltak Awkward Turtle 68.8
29 C Sapphire Girl Sapphire Girl 69.6
30 B stufishing Stufishing_SA 71.4
31 B N/A Walkaround 72.8
32 B Swamp Swamp Rat 72.8
33 A Driftwood Me Rongo Rekohu SA 73.4
34 A From The Rail A-Squared 74.3
35 B stanlutz USA644RAVEN_SA 74.6
36 C Will Lee Lorraine III 77.0
37 A Iced Tea rule69 77.2
38 B Iluvitar Iluvitar 78.3
39 A Marty6 Cambodunum 78.7
40 B Magool Magool 78.8
41 B jacksparrow Malamute 80.3
42 C   Dirty Sea Rag 81.7
43 A Tunnel Rat Mongrel 82.6
44 C sailingk8 She Wolf 82.9
45 A Mud Sailor Mudsailor SA 83.9
46 B Tommmzzz tommmzzz 85.0
47 A Rainbow Spirit Rainbow Spirit II 85.5
48 B kea.nn kea.nn SA 87.8
49 C wpbeardsley wpbeardsley 88.8
50 B Gufmiester Gufmiester 89.0
51 C Sambaopreis Sambaopreis 89.5
52 A Blue Mountain YC  shockwave11 89.7
53 A Ozzy Ozzy85 91.3
54 A daan62 hutspot77 97.4
55 C   puckhead 100.5
56 B hmsmweasel Stay Thirsty M 43 103.1
57 B mkgsailor J2B2 112.7
58 C onedesignracing TeamSatisfaction 114.5
59 B Mr. Fixit Yodaman 115.3
  A Mike G MikeVentura 120.0
61 B Alpina ColombaRacing 125.0
62 C frostbit spadadua 126.7
63 C Vin Divided Sky 136.5
64 B EquusAsinusDomesticus ON9270 143.4
65 B   cg_ 238.2
66 C Loon Localdog 498.6

i'm getting my ass handed to so far. had a stats midterm yesterday and drifted slightly too high which has not set my up well. 

23 minutes ago, HKG1203 said:

i'm getting my ass handed to so far. had a stats midterm yesterday and drifted slightly too high which has not set my up well. 

I hope your up well recovers.

15 minutes ago, Mr. Fixit's brother,, Mr. Fixit said:

hmmm that frigate was a bit south of Wellington a couple hours ago. pretty good speed there

Yeah, noticed it too. When I see the frigate, I always think that it's at the geographic center of the fleet at first, and I couldn't understand how half of the fleet was on the Western side of NZL, lol! I really hope they have some sort of a timer on how long the frigate stays in one spot, because if it's linked to the position of the median-ranked boat, it can change drastically from moment to moment. Imagine you see it in a decent enough spot (that south of Wellington position, for instance), click to teleport there, and you wind up 500 miles away!

9 minutes ago, JeSa-SA said:

Yeah, noticed it too. When I see the frigate, I always think that it's at the geographic center of the fleet at first, and I couldn't understand how half of the fleet was on the Western side of NZL, lol! I really hope they have some sort of a timer on how long the frigate stays in one spot, because if it's linked to the position of the median-ranked boat, it can change drastically from moment to moment. Imagine you see it in a decent enough spot (that south of Wellington position, for instance), click to teleport there, and you wind up 500 miles away!

I believe (without any actual basis) that it's based at the location of whatever boat happens to be ranked at a certain percentile of the overall fleet (probably 40th, 50th, or 60th)...  Which means that in the first few days of a leg like this, where the best positioned boats aren't actually ranked well yet, it's possible for the frigate to randomly be placed very well at times.  But it's also unpredictable and will likely jump around every time they update its position, so you can't really come out well by planning a late start.  It does mean, though, that if you've had a horrible start (or take a flyer and regret it), and you pay attention to its position, there's a decent chance it'll eventually pop into a place worth jumping to.

This is much better than the old system, where they used the DTF of the specified percentile boat and ran the pilot boat along the rhumbline using that DTF. It was too predictable, and under certain circumstances, advantageous.

Remember the time it ran above the fleet along the rhumb line when heaps were  heading the wrong direction going for 24 hour records and every man and his dog were dropping off the pilot boat above the beating fleet and beam reaching down ahead of the leaders! I think it was leaving China. I got banned from the forum for politely suggesting that the situation was not correct. The mod called me a troublemaker.

Marty6, I can’t get rid of the phone app atm as my PC is broken and has been for a few weeks, it’s supposed to be up and running in 18 hours. Playing rhe game on a PC is so much easier especially at my age (66). Come Easter I’ll be back on the iPhone when I’m away camping :(

Stupid game switching between my two boats when logged in on only one after changing accounts on iOs app...

first one boat with heading line, then a switch to the other with heading line and it's cycling between both non stop. 

Anyone getting this too?

does it not look like sangue seguro could cross us on the angle from there? My Up well is on the road to recovery.

18 minutes ago, DRIFTW00D said:

my two boats

good grief man , I've enough trouble running one :rolleyes:

2 hours ago, Rainbow Spirit said:

Marty6, I can’t get rid of the phone app atm as my PC is broken and has been for a few weeks, it’s supposed to be up and running in 18 hours. Playing rhe game on a PC is so much easier especially at my age (66). Come Easter I’ll be back on the iPhone when I’m away camping :(

With my suggestions i didn't mean deleting the app completely but by moving/removing only the app icon making it harder to randomly start it, if that is what happened, while you have the phone in the pocket. 

must be a sucker for punishment , just sign on for the China Sea Race , anyone else ?

6 minutes ago, Mid said:

must be a sucker for punishment , just sign on for the China Sea Race , anyone else ?

I did. I do all the races to collect credits and ranking points.

Well I'm on the outside due to staying a bit long on the western gybe in the middle of the night after the new forecast.  At least I have decent pressure, but unfortunately also quite a long way around the outside  of the leaders. 

Time will tell, but it's great to be racing again :)

4 hours ago, Mid said:

good grief man , I've enough trouble running one :rolleyes:

Try running three. iPhone, iPad and laptop. 

pass :o

7 hours ago, HKG1203 said:

does it not look like sangue seguro could cross us on the angle from there? 

He's very good at plotting independent courses from zezo's recommendations, and it wouldn't be the first time if it works out for him.  You're right that he looks pretty good there, but sometimes tacking/gybing angles look weird in the extreme latitudes, so it's possible he'd look awful if he gybed.

Yes we’re down into the 50s now where the Mercator projection gets very distorted. East-West distance is a lot less than North-South distance. Be careful with programmed moves close to land. (Don’t ask me how I know!)

It looks like I can cross some of the West Gybe pack but I don't think the leaders.  Definitely not Tesse94.  Others not sure but will know within the hour.

23 minutes ago, unplugged34 said:

It looks like I can cross some of the West Gybe pack but I don't think the leaders.  Definitely not Tesse94.  Others not sure but will know within the hour.

It’s gonna be close. 

4962AA27-45AF-4B8A-8713-069B31BD587C.jpeg

15 hours ago, Rainbow Spirit said:

Same thing just happened to me! Damn!

12 hours ago, stufishing said:

Remember the time it ran above the fleet along the rhumb line when heaps were  heading the wrong direction going for 24 hour records and every man and his dog were dropping off the pilot boat above the beating fleet and beam reaching down ahead of the leaders! I think it was leaving China. I got banned from the forum for politely suggesting that the situation was not correct. The mod called me a troublemaker.

That's OK....we like troublemakes!

HKG1203, I think the Gribs are in transition.  But you did just make me do a crash gybe.  Isn't that what the "+" next to the grib time, means?

Getting nervy about the next few days now, we've made our bed, all we can do now is lie in it.

25 minutes ago, I Sail The Black Boat said:

Make sure the "+" sign is gone from the forecast before doing anything rash! 

Thanks for the reminder!

what time are the grib updates in GMT? i translated from Eastern time US and seem to have it wrong