Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

WetHog

VOR '17-'18 - THE GAME

sailing along...sailing along...Kinda ran over the low pressure and into the hole...had a couple funky jibes just to keep movin. Now I am slower, and the lead boats to the north are faster. Rich getting richer. Let's hope great circle route helps a little bit...but I don't think I have enough Lat separation.

5 minutes ago, HKG1203 said:

have the clocks just changed on zezo? why not use gmt

I guess so since we changed in Europe to CEST (daylight saving time). I don't know why zezo router is not running on GMT even though the current setting is easier for me since i'm in the same time zone as zezo.

9 hours ago, JeSa-SA said:

So now we know how to get your eye off the top of the SA leaderboard! The lovely young lady called and you're booked for dinner again tonight :P

2nd date should be time for a routing conversation.

12 hours ago, daan62 said:

strange:

It looks like you where right at the cutover between sails and the rounding to 1/10 opposed to the internally used 1/100 might display a bigger difference. For example if HG would give you 24.54 and Stay 24.65 the game display would show your values 0.2 apart even though it would only be 0.11. Or it might have been some browser caching problem which you previously also experienced.

It's also a nice example where Autosail would really hurt you with flopping between HG and Stay with hardly any speed difference between both.

camparing headings between the top boats and it seems a lot of them must be working very hard to get their heading to an exact rounding. Out of the 38 boats i can see only 4 of them are sailing on rounded headings. Can't be a coincidence that they are sideshow, taberly_AVL, tessa 94 and the 4th being 'captain djoey' who are 1st, 9th, 10th and 166th. Coincendnce or not?? would be interested to get more info from the top 50 if anyone has it. 

45 minutes ago, HKG1203 said:

camparing headings between the top boats and it seems a lot of them must be working very hard to get their heading to an exact rounding. Out of the 38 boats i can see only 4 of them are sailing on rounded headings. Can't be a coincidence that they are sideshow, taberly_AVL, tessa 94 and the 4th being 'captain djoey' who are 1st, 9th, 10th and 166th. Coincendnce or not?? would be interested to get more info from the top 50 if anyone has it. 

It's possible.  Sometimes a few top boats figure out a trick that others don't know.  If that has happened, I'm not among those who know...  which would make sense because I've been steadily losing a bit each day to the front of the group.  All the more reason to look forward to Cape Horn, where we'll start making some real decisions and those decisions will matter far more than a tenth of a degree of TWA.

yes, I worked out maybe a week ago that there seems to be a way that some sailors are able to get the true heading and not the random tenths that locking TWA can normally produce for me. But I don't know how to do it.

30 minutes ago, stufishing said:

yes, I worked out maybe a week ago that there seems to be a way that some sailors are able to get the true heading and not the random tenths that locking TWA can normally produce for me. But I don't know how to do it.

Probably using VR dashboard to get the numbers for heading, TWA, ... and leaving heading unlocked until it matches the TWA you want and then lock it.

Sorry, rankings from 22:30 for Group A.  I won't be near a computer later.

image.png.44d8b83d51184fedef4f9e0d374498d7.png

Place SA Name Boat Name Dist to Leader
1 Your Mom Your Mom SA 2759
2 Breitling Breitling_SA 3.9
3 prettyhatemachine prettyhatemachine 5.4
4 Kapt'n Kirk prowler_1-SA 6.5
5   Blitzquart 8.2
6 HKG1203 HKG1203 9.1
7 Magool Magool 10.2
8 Tunnel Rat Mongrel 15.8
9 Blue Mountain YC  shockwave11 15.9
10 Iced Tea rule69 28.8
11 Mud Sailor Mudsailor SA 32.9
12 Gybe Turkey Gybe Turkey 51
13 I Sail The Black Boat Thistle1678 51.8
14   Sambaopreis 52.6
15 Rainbow Spirit Rainbow Spirit II 54
16 Marty6 Cambodunum 69
17 Ozzy Ozzy85 75
18 From The Rail A-Squared 96
19 Wet Hog WetHog-SA 99
20 Golden Rose Golden Rose SA 111
21 Vibroman Vibroman_SA 135
22 daan62 hutspot77 178
23 Hike, Bitches HikeBitches 284
24 sandpipper sandpipper 517
25 Driftwood Me Rongo Rekohu SA 719
26 Mike G MikeVentura 751

9 hours ago, HKG1203 said:

this leg is frustrating me. Keep getting my ass handed to. dropped 100 places today, rough one!

Hahaha..this is hilarious...I drop 500 places or gain 200 every time I check in. 

37 minutes ago, Shorthanded said:

Full results will have to wait until tomorrow.  Too much going on this evening to update all three groups. 

Whaaaaat!? LOL, of course, thank you guys for doing this to begin with!

3 minutes ago, JeSa-SA said:

Whaaaaat!? LOL, of course, thank you guys for doing this to begin with!

I know, I’m a slacker. You’re still up there near the top of the standings. I’m slowly falling off the pace. Too busy with work and I’m late on all of the gybes. 

37 minutes ago, Shorthanded said:

I know, I’m a slacker. You’re still up there near the top of the standings. I’m slowly falling off the pace. Too busy with work and I’m late on all of the gybes. 

We're on a good lane (I think!). It's okay you skipped scoring tonight, that gives us all an extra day to catch Mom (as if, lol!).

im gambling on a hitch up north to see how it goes. Worst comes to worse I lose out and we condense as we get into the lighter winds of the Atlantic anyway 

HB is on dive, dive, dive! It is the only chance I have to even stay 24h behind the leaders.

Looks like a reset as we pass the Falklands anyhow. I'm quite happy we aren't in the real boats following this routing as apparently the sea state is none too nice going between Argentina and the British territory there ( ;) ) with quite a lot of adverse current

Yes TR, in the 900s atm, the first time in this leg I’ve been in three figures! Unfortunately the good wind angles won’t last.

Damn, I'm not certain I feel like posting this, it seems very unimportant suddenly.  Thoughts go to Scallywag and John's family.

1 Your Mom Your Mom SA 2184.54
2 Kapt'n Kirk prowler_1-SA 2.19
3   Bitzquart 2.74
4 Breitling Breitling_SA 3.17
5 prettyhatemachine prettyhatemachine 4.63
6 HKG1203 HKG1203 4.84
7 Magool Magool 5.19
8 Tunnel Rat Mongrel 8.4
9 Blue Mountain YC  shockwave11 9.23
10 Iced Tea rule69 14.3
11 Mud Sailor Mudsailor SA 16.1
12 Gybe Turkey Gybe Turkey 22.2
13 I Sail The Black Boat Thistle1678 23.2
14 Sambaopreis Sambaopreis 24.9
15 Rainbow Spirit Rainbow Spirit II 33.3
16 Marty6 Cambodunum 39.9
17 Ozzy Ozzy85 44.7
18 Wet Hog WetHog-SA 57.7
19 From The Rail A-Squared 69.4
20 Golden Rose Golden Rose SA 71.1
21 Vibroman Vibroman_SA 118.8
22 daan62 hutspot77 238.4
23 Hike, Bitches HikeBitches 470.4
24   Sandpipper 605.6
25 Mike G MikeVentura 770.2
26 Driftwood Me Rongo Rekohu SA 1032.4

Full standings below.  I echo TR's comments.  I can't even imagine how Team Scally must be feeling.

Rank Group SA Name Boat Name DTL
1 A,B,C Your Mom Your Mom SA 2184.54
2 A Kapt'n Kirk prowler_1-SA 2.19
3 B Milli Blitzquart 2.74
4 A Breitling Breitling_SA 3.19
5 C mred mistered 3.23
6 C JeSa-SA JeSa 4.55
7 A prettyhatemachine prettyhatemachine 4.63
8 A HKG1203 HKG1203 4.84
9 B Magool Magool 5.19
10 C Shorthanded Shorty 8.21
11 A Tunnel Rat Mongrel 8.40
12 A Blue Mountain YC  shockwave11 9.23
13 C Sapphire Girl Sapphire Girl 10.0
14 C rolltak Awkward Turtle 11.2
15 B stanlutz USA644RAVEN_SA 12.8
16 C 4010 grimlin 13.2
17 B kea.nn kea.nn SA 13.4
18 A Iced Tea rule69 14.3
19 B Iluvitar Iluvitar 14.4
20 A Mud Sailor Mudsailor SA 16.1
21 B Gufmiester Gufmiester 19.0
22 B unplugged Dcarr 19.2
23 B jacksparrow Malamute 20.6
24 A Gybe Turkey Gybe Turkey 22.2
25 B sailon2 jahmbo SA 22.6
26 A I Sail The Black Boat Thistle1678 23.2
27 C Sambaopreis Sambaopreis 24.9
28 B Mr. Fixit Yodaman 27.9
29 B stufishing Stufishing_SA 28.7
30 A Rainbow Spirit Rainbow Spirit II 33.3
31 C Will Lee Lorraine III 36.7
32 A Marty6 Cambodunum 39.9
33 A Ozzy Ozzy85 44.7
34 C wpbeardsley wpbeardsley 49.8
35 A Wet Hog WetHog-SA 57.7
36 A From The Rail A-Squared 69.4
37 A Golden Rose Golden Rose SA 71.1
38 C 33jesus jesus 81.8
39 B N/A Walkaround 101.9
40 C Patman Patman 109.2
41 C KMan2K7 KMan2K7 116.9
42 A Vibroman Vibroman_SA 118.8
43 C onedesignracing TeamSatisfaction 148.7
44 B Swamp Swamp Rat 160.6
45 A daan62 hutspot77 238.4
46 B gary  hschutz 339.7
47 C razcaillou razcaillou 365.5
48 B Rimike rider1982 405.2
49 B Alpina ColombaRacing 417.5
50 B frostbit spadadua 439.2
51 B EquusAsinusDomesticus ON9270 466.3
52 A Hike, Bitches HikeBitches 470.4
53 C   Dirty Sea Rag 498.5
54 C Vin Divided Sky 499.6
55 B GrandbendOnt GrandbendOnt 569.1
56 C   puckhead 595.0
57 C Sandpipper Sandpipper 606.5
58 B hmsmweasel Stay Thirsty M 43 607.3
59 B mkgsailor J2B2 607.4
60 B   cg_ 663.5
61 C sailingk8 She Wolf 686.5
62 C Fry_ Fry 728.0
63 B Tommmzzz tommmzzz 754.5
64 A Mike G MikeVentura 770.2
65 A Driftwood Me Rongo Rekohu SA 1032.4
66 C Loon Localdog 2752.5

Thanks guys for the standing listings!!  It is really great that you are willing to keep us all posted and connected.  Truly appreciate it!

Go Savannah Yacht Club!!!

Hearts are heavy to think of a fellow sailor, declared Lost At Sea.  May the albatross spread it wings and carry your spirit high above the seas to a place of eternal freedom and peace.  Rest well, Sailor John Fischer, in the arms of the Mother Ocean.:(:(:(

wots the fix , when the game won't load on pc ?

14 minutes ago, Mid said:

Maybe clear browser cache (Chrome: Settings -> advanced -> clear browsing data  -> mark only "cached images and files" -> clear data)

thanxs marty6

didn't work though ...............

Untitled.thumb.jpg.c91711b2c897ead67a1edbdeaaafd1d7.jpg

Close the browser completely (all tabs, all windows of e.g. Chrome) and start it again. If this doesn't fix it restart PC. Do you have other memory intensive programs running (how much memory does your PC have?)?

3 hours ago, Mid said:

That's been incredibly frustrating. Only started to happen regularly for me a couple of days ago. And it seems that the culprit is the webGL process which, if I'm not mistaken, is the 3D stuff that nobody really uses (phones don't have that module and run the app much better). I had to switch from Chrome to Firefox, and even then, I can only get through after a dozen or so attempts, and that's after constant cache clearing, shutting down of services and occasional rebooting. How app developers became so complacent with memory allocation is beyond me!

well fucked that up a bit, gybed off for what was meant to be for an hour but forgot about it and only gybed back when I got a text from a mate when I was well on my way to the deep south

I've completely lost the will to play the game since the tragic events of yesterday as it seems silly to continue playing a game for an event that has cost someone their life. Cannot begin to think how tough it must be for the sailors on all the boats right now trying to continue to race and fight for every meter while having the MOB constantly in the back of your mind. Thoughts are with the entire team on board Scallywag and also to John Fisher's family as i round the online cape horn. Rest in Peace.

I just ran aground and in normal circumstances, I probably would have freaked out after the gains that I made last night. But as HKG1203 alluded to above, this is a game and it’s really not all that important in the grand scheme of things. And thanks to those of you that messaged me about being on the rocks. 

5 minutes ago, Shorthanded said:

I just ran aground and in normal circumstances, I probably would have freaked out after the gains that I made last night. But as HKG1203 alluded to above, this is a game and it’s really not all that important in the grand scheme of things. And thanks to those of you that messaged me about being on the rocks. 

I look at it as a ceremonial grounding. Well done.

I haven't ran aground, yet, but I just got a notice I was sailing with the wrong sail and I found this when I logged into the VORG.

24culv6.jpg

I had the wrong sail up because, for whatever reason, the waypoint I set turned me 180 degrees.  Then looking at the other waypoints I set it has 168h+ for all of them.  So a big time glitch.  Luckily I was able to fix it right away but beware.  

WetHog  :ph34r:

8 minutes ago, WetHog said:

I haven't ran aground, yet, but I just got a notice I was sailing with the wrong sail and I found this when I logged into the VORG.

I had the wrong sail up because, for whatever reason, the waypoint I set turned me 180 degrees.  Then looking at the other waypoints I set it has 168h+ for all of them.  So a big time glitch.  Luckily I was able to fix it right away but beware.  

Ouch! That happened to me on the way up to Hong Kong. Actually, a variant of it: I ran aground a good while after a waypoint, the boat somehow bounced off the rocks, turned around 180 degrees and proceeded to travel back to the earlier waypoint. Waypoints are freaking me out these days. Glad you caught that one early - there's some silver lining in those 'wrong sail' notifications!

Darn little islands that don't pop up on a iphone ... like a sea snake they will grab ya

5 hours ago, WetHog said:

24culv6.jpg

I was so nervous of this I steered myself around Cape Horn, rather than trusting the WPs. 

Worked out alright. 

Just scheduled headings to slowly harden up as the night goes on, then tack too, rather than set waypoints

5 hours ago, WetHog said:

I had the wrong sail up because, for whatever reason, the waypoint I set turned me 180 degrees. 

Similar thing seems to have happened to kea.nn

5aba9c5da7c48_ScreenHunter_01Mar_2721_31.jpg.32fd9b521ee22a8e174c4190e30ae060.jpg

18 minutes ago, Marty6 said:

Similar thing seems to have happened to kea.nn

Oh man, and he's on autosails too, so heading fast in the wrong direction and no notification from the game...

21 minutes ago, JeSa-SA said:

Oh man, and he's on autosails too, so heading fast in the wrong direction and no notification from the game...

That's a little weirder than the usual bug.  As far as I know the usual waypoint bug is just a quick turnaround and turn back, usually when two waypoints are very close together and/or when the user is watching while their boat hits the waypoint.  For a boat to turn around toward something behind them and continue in that direction while the user isn't watching is beyond any bug I've heard of.  Makes me wonder if it may have been an unfortunate human error...  Like using waypoints and not realizing you've set waypoint 2 in front of waypoint 1 because they're on the same line, or setting a scheduled course change to TWA 90 on the wrong tack.

Regardless, that's a bummer and we can only hope he notices soon.

Yep, effing waypoint issue, 5hrs lost...

Dealing with my own MOB i guess.

I'd set two waypoints as i'd be asleep as i got to the cape.  1st was just below the cape, 2nd set other side of Isla de los Estados.  Looks like it hit the 2nd one and did 180 instead of carrying on!

Buggar^%$

21 minutes ago, kea.nn said:

5hrs lost...

Buggar^%$

I've probably done 100+ VR races over the last 3-4 years, so I've had my share of ruined races for a variety of reasons.  Some very frustrating bugs or foulups by VR...  Some my own mistakes...  Some just by choosing the wrong strategy...  The only advice I can offer to anyone in this kind of situation is...  don't give up.  You're still ahead of most of the fleet, and if you got to the horn where you did, you're good enough to pass a lot of the boats around you.  You won't get the finish you were hoping for, but a damn good one isn't out of reach.  I pulled a top-50 out of a race where I was aground for 40 minutes, and a top-250 out of a race where I was aground for hours while sleeping.  Hang in there.

Another way to look at it...  in most long races...  the finishers 5-10 hours behind the winner usually are pretty good finishes.  Kinda depends on the race, though.  This one is horribly bunched up, but that's been the nature of the race to the horn.  The real race is from the horn to Itajai.  Go pass a pile of boats.  :-)

51 minutes ago, kea.nn said:

Yep, effing waypoint issue, 5hrs lost...

Dealing with my own MOB i guess.

I'd set two waypoints as i'd be asleep as i got to the cape.  1st was just below the cape, 2nd set other side of Isla de los Estados.  Looks like it hit the 2nd one and did 180 instead of carrying on!

Buggar^%$

How frustrating....kept wanting to give you a holler!

Anyone brave enough to shoot the gap through the Falklands? 

Zezo seems to think that's an option...no thank you 

7 minutes ago, Icedtea said:

I was hoping to, but as far as I can tell, I'm better off staying West of the islands.  I love sneaky little channels like that.

Edit: Finally just looked at the latest Zezo routing and it has me going that route.  Will seriously consider it, favoring it if I can justify the sudden change to myself.  One has to be careful, though, when a forecast suddenly recommends something totally different from what it was saying for days prior.  Often it reverts with the next forecast.

9 minutes ago, Icedtea said:

lol, after all we just said about waypoints, NOT looking forward to threading through that channel!

Those of you struggling with browser issues...try Ctrl + F5 on your page reload..that should at least wipe the cache on the current tab. I have a 10 year old PC, dual core at 2.00Ghz & 4GB RAm (I did disable the onboard video and install a 1GB PCI-e video card),  and refreshing the VR tab has worked for me.

If it gets real bad, the next thing I would do is go remove the swap file and let Windows build a new one (virtual memory)..or at least make sure your swap file is 1.5x of the physical RAM on the PC.

1 hour ago, JeSa-SA said:

lol, after all we just said about waypoints, NOT looking forward to threading through that channel!

I’m doing it. Think of all of the grounding opportunities!

2 hours ago, Your Mom said:

I was hoping to, but as far as I can tell, I'm better off staying West of the islands.  I love sneaky little channels like that.

Edit: Finally just looked at the latest Zezo routing and it has me going that route.  Will seriously consider it, favoring it if I can justify the sudden change to myself.  One has to be careful, though, when a forecast suddenly recommends something totally different from what it was saying for days prior.  Often it reverts with the next forecast.

And now it shows going east is best. What to do what to do?

26 minutes ago, Shorthanded said:

I’m doing it. Think of all of the grounding opportunities!

Heading there as well. As if this game wasn't challenging enough already! :P

I'm tired and I'm not going to risk the split between the islands, what with the waypoint problems (although they got me past Cape Horn OK), I'll take the east side. That side looks OK once north of the Falklands.

I'm going up the middle, last night it looked like tacking up the west coast was the way to go, but up the middle sounds fun, the only problem is that it will be the middle of the night here and I will not wake up for this game.  Waypoints have worked in the past!

Anyway, here are the Group A rankings from 01:00UTC.  Things have changed a bit up front.

1   JeSa 1713.05
2 Your Mom Your Mom SA 1.62
3 Tunnel Rat Mongrel 1.87
4 Breitling Breitling_SA 2.09
5 Blue Mountain YC  shockwave11 2.79
6 prettyhatemachine prettyhatemachine 4.12
7   Bitzquart 4.43
8 Kapt'n Kirk prowler_1-SA 5.24
9 Magool Magool 6.18
10 Iced Tea rule69 9.02
11 HKG1203 HKG1203 13.5
12 Mud Sailor Mudsailor SA 14.7
13 I Sail The Black Boat Thistle1678 17.4
14 Gybe Turkey Gybe Turkey 17.7
15 Rainbow Spirit Rainbow Spirit II 21.3
16 Ozzy Ozzy85 35.7
17 Marty6 Cambodunum 40.7
18 Golden Rose Golden Rose SA 64.9
19 Sambaopreis Sambaopreis 69.9
20 Wet Hog WetHog-SA 77.8
21 Vibroman Vibroman_SA 104
22 From The Rail A-Squared 147.6
23 daan62 hutspot77 157.7
24 Hike, Bitches HikeBitches 483.3
25 Mike G MikeVentura 790.1
26 Driftwood Me Rongo Rekohu SA 1077.9

And here we are after a day of Cape Horn groundings and waypoints gone awry.  Still pretty tight at the top of the standings.  

Rank Group SA Name Boat Name DTL
1 A,B,C JeSa-SA JeSa 1713.05
2 C rolltak Awkward Turtle 0.97
3 A Your Mom Your Mom SA 1.62
4 A Tunnel Rat Mongrel 1.87
5 A Breitling Breitling_SA 2.09
6 A Blue Mountain YC  shockwave11 2.79
7 A prettyhatemachine prettyhatemachine 4.12
8 B Milli Blitzquart 4.43
9 C Shorthanded Shorty 4.46
10 C mred mistered 4.48
11 A Kapt'n Kirk prowler_1-SA 5.24
12 B Magool Magool 6.18
13 B stanlutz USA644RAVEN_SA 6.54
14 C Sapphire Girl Sapphire Girl 8.55
15 A Iced Tea rule69 9.02
16 A HKG1203 HKG1203 13.5
17 B Iluvitar Iluvitar 13.5
18 B Gufmiester Gufmiester 14.5
19 A Mud Sailor Mudsailor SA 14.7
20 B sailon2 jahmbo SA 16.6
21 A I Sail The Black Boat Thistle1678 17.4
22 A Gybe Turkey Gybe Turkey 17.7
23 C 4010 grimlin 19.3
24 A Rainbow Spirit Rainbow Spirit II 21.3
25 B Mr. Fixit Yodaman 22.0
26 B stufishing Stufishing_SA 24.6
27 C Will Lee Lorraine III 30.9
28 A Ozzy Ozzy85 35.7
29 C wpbeardsley wpbeardsley 37.4
30 A Marty6 Cambodunum 40.7
31 B unplugged Dcarr 41.7
32 B kea.nn kea.nn SA 57.9
33 B jacksparrow Malamute 63.4
34 A Golden Rose Golden Rose SA 64.9
35 C 33jesus jesus 67.3
36 C Sambaopreis Sambaopreis 70.2
37 B N/A Walkaround 76.4
38 A Wet Hog WetHog-SA 77.8
39 C Patman Patman 84.1
40 A Vibroman Vibroman_SA 104.0
41 C onedesignracing TeamSatisfaction 113.9
42 C KMan2K7 KMan2K7 119.8
43 A From The Rail A-Squared 147.6
44 A daan62 hutspot77 157.7
45 B Swamp Swamp Rat 164.1
46 B gary  hschutz 201.7
47 C razcaillou razcaillou 232.4
48 B Rimike rider1982 254.2
49 B Alpina ColombaRacing 269.4
50 B frostbit spadadua 281.7
51 B EquusAsinusDomesticus ON9270 329.4
52 C   Dirty Sea Rag 353.8
53 C Vin Divided Sky 370.4
54 A Hike, Bitches HikeBitches 483.3
55 B mkgsailor J2B2 547.4
56 B hmsmweasel Stay Thirsty M 43 555.3
57 C   puckhead 560.4
58 B GrandbendOnt GrandbendOnt 580.8
59 C Sandpipper Sandpipper 604.2
60 C sailingk8 She Wolf 679.0
61 C Fry_ Fry 680.3
62 B Tommmzzz tommmzzz 767.6
63 A Mike G MikeVentura 790.1
64 A Driftwood Me Rongo Rekohu SA 1077.9
65 B   cg_ 1098.6
66 C Loon Localdog 2549.6

Unfortunately I cannot blame a bug for losing spots around the Cape.... 

After making up some ground further south when it was time for the final southern ocean gybe I went for a little bit of a LEEEEEEERRRROOOYYY corner cut with nothing in the bank for wiggle room to make it around the Cape. After a little leftie i needed a righty and I started getting messages from friends due to the unexplained march up the world rankings and I even started to believe it may happen..... but eventually another little leftie and my gamble came up short. By the time I chucked in a little gybe and soaked to round the monument I had lost out to Kaptn Kirk and Tunnel Rat and 200 or so spots. It was a lot of fun and I figure it was worth the gamble as I had not got around the leaders to that point. 

Having said that Your Mom's post above was very timely as there is still plenty of time to make up the spots, although I have made my choice West of the islands for safety this time but will watch with keen interest and certainly encourage any around me that they should go for it.:D

worldrank.jpg.a8e6ae70ab85ef79b3bb2f7c0d21ccc3.jpg

I rounded the horn clear ahead but you guys caught up all day. Tonight's rankings couldn't come soon enough, lol! I can relax now - I'm framing that leaderboard :P

8 minutes ago, JeSa-SA said:

I rounded the horn clear ahead but you guys caught up all day. Tonight's rankings couldn't come soon enough, lol! I can relax now - I'm framing that leaderboard :P

Well done. Both you and the Awkward Turtle have been tough to run down. 

2 minutes ago, JeSa-SA said:

Mom and a few other top players playing mind games with us and going into stealth mode ;)

I noticed that. Toppen did as well. Oh well, I’m still heading through the middle.  

7 minutes ago, HKG1203 said:

im Gonna go for the gap. See you on the other side!

From your track, it looks like you were tempted to go East there for a while?

Interesting times, Magool and Rule69 tacking away for a west about trip, Rainbow Spirit II bearing away for the eastern option, many people heading for the rocks and islands up the middle and then that B'stard Mom goes into Stealth Mode to really screw with out heads! Fun.

6 minutes ago, Tunnel Rat said:

Interesting times, Magool and Rule69 tacking away for a west about trip, Rainbow Spirit II bearing away for the eastern option, many people heading for the rocks and islands up the middle and then that B'stard Mom goes into Stealth Mode to really screw with out heads! Fun.

Mom’s going up the middle. His DTL hasn’t changed much. Doesn’t look like he’s changed course. 

7 minutes ago, Shorthanded said:

Mom’s going up the middle. His DTL hasn’t changed much. Doesn’t look like he’s changed course. 

That's called a 'head fake!'
But how can you tell? If he's in stealth, surely his DTL shouldn't be visible, should it?

11 minutes ago, JeSa-SA said:

That's called a 'head fake!'
But how can you tell? If he's in stealth, surely his DTL shouldn't be visible, should it?

DTL is still shown and changes during the Stealth period, but the position will not be visible to other competitors.  I agree with Shorthanded that it looks like Mom is going up the middle.  If you look at Magool or Rainbow, then their DTLs are changing with the different options they are taking.

Is anyone else doing the China Sea Race?  I have foolishly signed up, with it coming out of my home port and having done it a few times I felt I ought to take part.  C0 and foils only.

8 minutes ago, 33jesus said:

China Sea Race here! Just a C0. Figured why not right?

+1

My move east was also due to the fact I’ve been on tam RIB all day watching he China sea race start irl which has led to my csr boat not going too well either. Having said that watching the the 66’ mono alive leaving lei yei mun gap (end of the harbour) ahead of the MOD 70 was priceless

i,m doing CSR, not sure why. Friggen game wont even load on my work computer! This mob are real close to losing me.  Its really only you guys keeping me going, plus I love the VOR...

my crew has gone AWOL and taken the boat with them :blink:

ps I am sure the suits at VR monitor this thread

app has got too big and blooted , looks as if VR has jumped the shark .

22 hours ago, unplugged34 said:

I just noticed someone beached on cape horn.  that is going to suck waking up to.

Sloan Burns

Yep that was me. Wintersport with friends and doing the VOR are not a good match. And if you have to beach why not Cape Horn. Pretty Iconic.

10 hours ago, Tunnel Rat said:

Sorry about that.  I saw leaders including Tessa tacking out and decided I'd rather not have the general public know which way I went.  I hadn't decided yet which way I was going to go.  If I'm going to go stealth, I like to do it in the US evening, so that the Euros won't know where I am when they wake up, and so that they won't see me until their ensuing morning.

It's crazy how often people ping me in the game to ask me where I'm going or what my plan is or where they should go or to tell me they're following me, etc.  I don't really understand why someone would pay the entry costs only to have their whole strategy be to follow another boat.  It's good to keep tabs on other boats and evaluate what they're doing, etc, but if you aren't making decisions yourself, I don't see the point.

Anyway...  I tend to only use stealth when I want to try to get a split from other top contenders, or, as in this case, when I don't want hordes of people to follow me.  Toppen uses it quite often.  I think I'm probably once every week or two on average.

I did indeed eventually decide to go through the Falklands.  When I turned stealth on, I really wanted to do a route through the smaller islands on the West edge of the Falklands, but I couldn't find a way to justify that route.  Then the next wind update suggested (in my opinion) that the route through the middle was easily the best.  Won't really know for a couple days or more, though.  I think the light patch 2-3 days up the road is what was driving Zezo to flip back and forth.  The desired entry point for that light patch was shifting back and forth, causing our ideal Falklands routing to do the same.

anybody get this thing to load on a pc anymore ?

Just now, Mid said:

anybody get this thing to load on a pc anymore ?

Works fine on my macbook, iphone and my pc. Actually I've never had a problem with it loading on any device.

thanxs , refuses to load on either firefox or chrome > windoze 10