WetHog

VOR '17-'18 - THE GAME

23 minutes ago, Your Mom said:

The real Clipper event has 13 legs, and VR is numbering them identically...  but VR didn't do Leg 1.  So there are only 12 virtual legs, starting with 2.

Ok, was worried I wouldn't complete 10 legs, as leg 4 was my first.

• Like 1

Good so far.......now sitting at LAX trying to program it for the next 12 hrs as about to get on a plane to London......and looks like the race will still be on when I fly back next Saturday.....hopefully the forecast is stable

• Like 1

5 hours ago, Your Mom said:

By the way...  watch out for Sable Island.  It's easy to hit because it's thin enough to disappear when zoomed out while being long enough to present more than "random bad luck" odds.  It looks like we may be in that area 38-40 hours into the race (tomorrow night, US time...  making it that much more of a risk).

HKG1203 found it!

• Like 1

Crap, already out of sync. Didn’t have time this morning to do any programming and I’ve been on the road all day. Glad I didn’t pay for the full pack.... good luck to the leaders. 

• Like 1

Hello, The rankings may be in a bit of a tangle this morning, as I deleted some of the Group B gang so i could do the rankings for the latter part of Leg 8.  If anyone is missing, please let me know.  

Cheers,
TR

Place Group SA Name Boat Name Dist to Leader
1 B   JeSa 2681.2
2 B stufishing Stufishing_SA 0.4
3 A Breitling Breitling_SA 0.8
4 A,B rolltak Awkward Turtle 1.1
5 A Rainbow Spirit Rainbow Spirit II 1.2
6 A Kapt'n Kirk prowler_1-SA 2.2
7 A Your Mom Your Mom SA 2.3
8 A Blue Mountain YC  shockwave11 3.6
9 B Mr. Fixit Yodaman 3.7
10 A prettyhatemachine prettyhatemachine 3.9
11 A,B Gufmiester Gufmiester 4.3
12 A Sambaopreis Sambaopreis 4.6
13 B Iluvitar Iluvitar 4.6
14 A Gybe Turkey Gybe Turkey 4.9
15 A Golden Rose Golden Rose SA 5.4
16 B sailon2 jahmbo SA 5.5
17 B jacksparrow Malamute 5.8
18 A Wet Hog WetHog-SA 6.8
19 A Milli Bitzquart 7.15
20 A Mike G MikeVentura 8.6
21 A Marty6 Cambodunum 9
22 B gary  hschutz 9.1
23 A Ozzy Ozzy85 9.3
24 B GrandbendOnt GrandbendOnt 9.4
25 B Magool Magool 9.8
26 A Driftwood Me Rongo Rekohu SA 12.3
27 A Mud Sailor Mudsailor SA 12.6
28 B N/A Walkaround 12.6
29 A Tunnel Rat Mongrel 14.9
30 B frostbit spadadua 15.5
31 A From The Rail A-Squared 15.9
32 B kea.nn kea.nn SA 17.1
33 B   cg_ 24.2
34 B Rimike rider1982 24.9
35 B Alpina (Columba) ColombaRacing 25
36 A daan62 hutspot77 25.4
37 A I Sail The Black Boat Thistle1678 30.1
38 B stanlutz USA644RAVEN_SA 69.4
39 A Hike, Bitches HikeBitches 73.1
40 A HKG1203 HKG1203 77.6
41 B EquusAsinusDomesticus ON9270 DNC
42 B wpbeardsley wpbeardsley DNC
43 B hmsmweasel Stay Thirsty M 43 DNC
  • Like 3

Well, I might have been racing out on a real boat today. We'll see if I can pick  off a few boats! 

GBO needs to fuck up and fall back down here closer to the 40's where he belongs and then we'd have a good race! :rolleyes:

• Like 3

I'm not off to a very good start in general today.  I was late (8 min) in getting my screen shots and TR and I ended up with different leaders, so I'll just post group C and I'll hopefully be ready tomorrow evening at 0100 UTC.

Rank Group SA Name Boat Name DTL
1 C KMan2K7 KMan2K7 2678.55
2 C JeSa-SA JeSa 0.47
3 C 4010 grimlin 1.96
4 C rolltak Awkward Turtle 2.13
5 C Sapphire Girl Sapphire Girl 3.19
6 C Will Lee Lorraine III 3.53
7 C Sambaopreis Sambaopreis 5.02
8 C onedesignracing TeamSatisfaction 5.05
9 C mred mistered 6.32
10 C 33jesus jesus 7.28
11 C Vin Divided Sky 7.59
12 C Shorthanded Shorty 10.5
13 C Patman Patman 12.3
14 C Peacefrog Team False Racing 20.8
15 C Sandpipper Sandpipper 21.3
16 C Loon Localdog 22.5
17 C sailingk8 She Wolf 53.8
  C wpbeardsley wpbeardsley DNS
  C razcaillou razcaillou DNS
  C Fry_ Fry DNS
  C   Dirty Sea Rag DNS
  • Like 4

2 hours ago, stufishing said:

with no doldrums!

You know we're in for some light stuff off Halifax tomorrow, right?

• Like 1

15 hours ago, Your Mom said:

If you have clicked the "Ready to Go" button in your boat setup screen, then I believe it will start you and you'll get a DNF if you don't cross the finish line. If you haven't clicked that button, then my understanding is that you won't get a DNF.  But...  Don't go into that race after it starts.  The moment you do, I believe it will start you, and then you need to finish or take the DNF.

If you ping me with a message in the VOR leg after Mini starts, I can take a look at your Mini boat and tell you if it's racing without a helmsman or not.

Or...  you can just half-ass the Mini to get around the course.  You could probably finish 3,000th and still have a positive impact on your VSR score.  You have to do exceptionally poorly to post a negative VSR score.

Thanks Mom. I’ll half ass it. Cheers Guf

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Your Mom said:

I'm hoping it goes away!

• Like 1

4 hours ago, Your Mom said:

I'd be more worried about the windless 'wall' in about seven days if we don't get a move on. It is looking like the first 1000 or so might make it through, then the rest.... Well it is a long way out, so lets see what happens.

• Like 2

2 minutes ago, Mr. Fixit's brother,, Mr. Fixit said:

well I just spent all my saved up shekels on the boats for MinM and the Normandy Channel Race. See if I can build up some VSR points. Zezo doesn't have the Channel race listed as a course. hmmm, maybe too soon?

Don't worry - It's an annual event, so Zezo has it ready to go.  He just needs to add it to the front page's list.  I'm sure he'll get to it within a couple days.

• Like 1

The low and high has been a gift for those who have gone south with actual riding that pressure boundary between the systems. The only plus is the great circle route saving distance. Could be some shake-up? time will tell.

• Like 1

I’ve been chasing VSR points to move up the levels. I’ve now made it to level 10 and find I need 4000 points to get to 11. If I need another 20 000 points to get a ranking, I’ll be taking my time to get there from now.

• Like 1

Was just wondering if the move to the South was the best? As ever I am in no mans land, slept through the gybe of the Jian players last night (can’t read zezo so have no clue what it is saying), woke up and panicked and headed north. Now I see the system the guys got to the south and it looks tasty but I think the new pressure in a day or so might not be great for them

• Like 1

59 minutes ago, Ro1 said:

Was just wondering if the move to the South was the best? As ever I am in no mans land, slept through the gybe of the Jian players last night (can’t read zezo so have no clue what it is saying), woke up and panicked and headed north. Now I see the system the guys got to the south and it looks tasty but I think the new pressure in a day or so might not be great for them

We'll find out up by Newfoundland in 36-48 hours.  When Zezo was showing indecision yesterday about whether to gybe toward Halifax (which is what most of the fleet did) versus sailing TWA 130 to ride the stronger wind ESE, it was because of the light patch the main fleet will be hitting i~20-24 hours from now.  Once we get through that light patch, we'll accelerate nicely toward Newfoundland, with far better speed than the boats who went South.  But...  if we get hung up badly in that light patch, the boats who went South will get far enough East for that acceleration to be too little, too late.

This leg is going to have a ton of "rich getting richer".  It's like that right now, but then we'll park up in the light stuff.  And then the rich will get richer again for a long time.  So...  I think this is a leg where an excellent first day or two will make a huge difference.  Whoever gets out of that light patch first will sail away with it (at least for a while, unless the guys to the South come out ahead).

With that said...  of course if we hit a park-up in Cardiff, the rubber band will contract again.

• Like 1

58 minutes ago, stufishing said:

Mental note... Turn off TWA.

I dunno I'm tempted to leave it on :-)  Greatest navigator screw up ever "Weren't we just here??" 

• Like 1

I'm guessing that TR had something work related come up and I'm about to hit the sack, so here are the group C rankings.   

1 C JeSa-SA JeSa 2378.9
2 C 4010 grimlin 0.23
3 C KMan2K7 KMan2K7 2.21
4 C Sapphire Girl Sapphire Girl 3.22
5 C mred mistered 3.45
6 C Will Lee Lorraine III 4.17
7 C rolltak Awkward Turtle 5.75
8 C 33jesus jesus 6.15
9 C Sambaopreis Sambaopreis 11.2
10 C Shorthanded Shorty 12.2
11 C Vin Divided Sky 42.5
12 C Patman Patman 55.6
13 C onedesignracing TeamSatisfaction 59.4
14 C Peacefrog Team False Racing 64.0
15 C Sandpipper Sandpipper 64.0
16 C Loon Localdog 86.6
17 C sailingk8 She Wolf 133.5
18 C wpbeardsley wpbeardsley DNS
19 C razcaillou razcaillou DNS
20 C Fry_ Fry DNS
21 C   Dirty Sea Rag DNS
  • Like 5

Apologises , I haven't been paying too much attention  , what's the story with 1/2 degrees ?  possible ?

• Like 1

7 hours ago, Thistle1678 said:

Greatest navigator screw up ever "Weren't we just here??" 

Navigation is an ART not a science .

Navigation is the ART of knowing where you are not !!!!!!

• Like 1

3 hours ago, Mid said:

Apologises , I haven't been paying too much attention  , what's the story with 1/2 degrees ?  possible ?

It is. Others will have more elaborate answers I'm sure, especially since I'm not using the dashboard and just going off the UI, but the idea is that everything on the UI is rounded to the nearest full degree. So if your speed is too good to be believed (for the wind speed and angle you're sailing), then you're not really traveling at that angle, but at a fraction off towards a better angle. If you're happy with that, then lock it in with your TWA lock, and you'll be sailing at that fractionally better angle. Now, of course, that means that you're not really headed where you think you're aiming for - but you're getting there faster, lol!

• Like 2

12 hours ago, stufishing said:

Mental note... Turn off TWA.

image.png.a5bb88330b04a1dd6b44740623dfc22a.png

this information would have been good for me to adhere to. however the HK weather was just too good and led to that not happening...

• Like 2

11 hours ago, Shorthanded said:

I'm guessing that TR had something work related come up and I'm about to hit the sack, so here are the group C rankings.   

Sorry everyone.  Bank holiday here, real life playing overtook virtual playing.  (See HKG1203's course for confirmation).

I WILL be on schedule tomorrow morning, although my head may be a tad sore......

Good night

• Like 2

2 hours ago, JeSa-SA said:

It is. Others will have more elaborate answers I'm sure, especially since I'm not using the dashboard and just going off the UI, but the idea is that everything on the UI is rounded to the nearest full degree. So if your speed is too good to be believed (for the wind speed and angle you're sailing), then you're not really traveling at that angle, but at a fraction off towards a better angle. If you're happy with that, then lock it in with your TWA lock, and you'll be sailing at that fractionally better angle. Now, of course, that means that you're not really headed where you think you're aiming for - but you're getting there faster, lol!

The only way to see decimals on your course is with the dashboard.  I also don't use the dashboard...  I probably should if I want to be able to continue to compete at the front, but I'm already too obsessive about the game, spending way too much time on it, and I think if I was using the dashboard, I'd go further down the rabbit hole of insanity than I want to.

• Like 2

Do we have any boats doing well in the South pack with Gushami?  If the impending forecast doesn't produce a dramatic change, that group will be way ahead of the main pack to the North in a day or so.  Tessa, Toppen, and the others ahead of me will spend the ensuing week trying to pick off the weaker boats from that side to maybe get back to the top 50.  I'll be back into the familiar mode of trying to get back into the top 200.

For the moment, I'm just hoping that the "rich getting richer" aspect of the conditions in the north pack will allow me to put some distance on enough other good boats to maybe give me a chance to take some risks later.

• Like 1

On 5/20/2018 at 9:34 PM, Hike, Bitches! said:

Well, I might have been racing out on a real boat today. We'll see if I can pick  off a few boats! 

GBO needs to fuck up and fall back down here closer to the 40's where he belongs and then we'd have a good race! :rolleyes:

Was thinking you were either in rehab or obsessively cleaning your garage.  You played dead in the last race and woke up for the finish (still pissed off) I am flying all day today so you will catch up a bit.  Was supposed to go to China tomorrow and that would have been a leg killer.  But the pax wanted to go today so I am off the hook to cover you all the way across the North Atlantic

• Like 1

59 minutes ago, Your Mom said:

Do we have any boats doing well in the South pack with Gushami?  If the impending forecast doesn't produce a dramatic change, that group will be way ahead of the main pack to the North in a day or so.

They'll hit the wall at the southern tip of Ireland before the North pack. I was dreading the prospect of that slowdown at first, but now, I'm kinda rooting for it! :p

• Like 2

Yeah it looks like South boats are really making hay here!! Oh well, dog fight to stay in touch

• Like 1

So Zezo didn't see the southern route as the advantage route? I'm sure all those that went that way are laughing now.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Rainbow Spirit said:

So Zezo didn't see the southern route as the advantage route? I'm sure all those that went that way are laughing now.

Zezo thought the two options were very close.  It came down to how the forecast would play out 24-30 hours after the decision had to be made.  Zezo was telling me to take the south route for a while, and then changed its mind back to the coastal route.  I wanted the coastal route the whole time anyway.  Felt the offshore route was too risky.  Then that forecast for 24-30 hours later changed to severely favor those who had gone south.  It isn't that Zezo couldn't see it...  it's that Zezo was working with yesterday's forecasts instead of today's actuals.  

9 minutes ago, Mr. Fixit's brother,, Mr. Fixit said:

Anyone see that boat that crossed Toppen's bow by about 40 miles? Popped up on my screen while I was stuck in traffic. 

No, but the guys to the south might be ahead of him by more than that anyway.

• Like 2

Ah, crap...  Check out JorixX.

A bunch of boats are going to come out of nowhere in the next few hours to make Toppen's crushing of the main fleet look mediocre.

The next week will be to see which of them are good enough to stay ahead.  A whole f'ing horde of monsters will be chasing them.

• Like 2

14 minutes ago, BlueMountainsYC said:

Good for the game though to have some crazyiness. This game can be very Mercedes/Lewis dominance at times.

Fully agreed.  But no mercy to the meek.

• Like 1

Good morning.  Blitzquart has done a nice job of crossing the fleet and gybing ahead and to leeward of the main gang.  However hats off to Spadadua who properly committed to the southern routing and is currently another 50Nm ahead of Blitzquart and travelling a knot faster, but probably with less VMG.

I am sad that HKG1203 has abandoned the party and parked on Nova Scotia.

Rankings from 01:00UTC.

1 B frostbit spadadua 1997.5
2 A Milli Bitzquart 51.8
3 A Your Mom Your Mom SA 82.5
4 B jacksparrow Malamute 85.1
5 B Mr. Fixit Yodaman 85.4
6 A Gybe Turkey Gybe Turkey 85.6
7 A Kapt'n Kirk prowler_1-SA 88.1
8 A Breitling Breitling_SA 89.2
9 B   JeSa 90.3
10 A,B Gufmiester Gufmiester 92.6
11 B kea.nn kea.nn SA 94.3
12 B stufishing Stufishing_SA 94.4
13 A Blue Mountain YC  shockwave11 97.9
14 A Tunnel Rat Mongrel 98.5
15 A,B rolltak Awkward Turtle 98.8
16 A prettyhatemachine prettyhatemachine 99.2
17 B Magool Magool 107.3
18 B Iluvitar Iluvitar 108.6
19 A Wet Hog WetHog-SA 111.4
20 A Rainbow Spirit Rainbow Spirit II 112.7
21 A Marty6 Cambodunum 119.3
22 A Sambaopreis Sambaopreis 120.8
23 A Golden Rose Golden Rose SA 130.4
24 A Mike G MikeVentura 134.1
25 B sailon2 jahmbo SA 143.9
26 A From The Rail A-Squared 145.3
27 A I Sail The Black Boat Thistle1678 152.2
28 B GrandbendOnt GrandbendOnt 158.4
29 A Ozzy Ozzy85 159.2
30 A daan62 hutspot77 165.3
31 B gary  hschutz 169.6
32 A Driftwood Me Rongo Rekohu SA 176.5
33 A Mud Sailor Mudsailor SA 187
34 B Alpina (Columba) ColombaRacing 194.2
35 B stanlutz USA644RAVEN_SA 200.5
36 B Rimike rider1982 206.3
37 B   cg_ 214.8
38 A Hike, Bitches HikeBitches 243
39 B N/A Walkaround 250.5
40 A HKG1203 HKG1203 471.8
  • Like 7

Full standings for all three groups.

1 B frostbit spadadua 1997.5
2 A Milli Bitzquart 51.8
3 A Your Mom Your Mom SA 82.5
4 B jacksparrow Malamute 85.1
5 B Mr. Fixit Yodaman 85.4
6 A Gybe Turkey Gybe Turkey 85.6
7 A Kapt'n Kirk prowler_1-SA 88.1
8 A Breitling Breitling_SA 89.2
9 C JeSa-SA JeSa 90.3
10 C mred mistered 91.3
11 B Gufmiester Gufmiester 92.6
12 B kea.nn kea.nn SA 94.3
13 B stufishing Stufishing_SA 94.4
14 A Blue Mountain YC  shockwave11 97.9
15 A Tunnel Rat Mongrel 98.5
16 C KMan2K7 KMan2K7 98.7
17 C rolltak Awkward Turtle 98.8
18 A prettyhatemachine prettyhatemachine 99.2
19 C Will Lee Lorraine III 101.9
20 C Sapphire Girl Sapphire Girl 102.6
21 B Magool Magool 107.3
22 B Iluvitar Iluvitar 108.6
23 A Wet Hog WetHog-SA 111.4
24 A Rainbow Spirit Rainbow Spirit II 112.7
25 C 4010 grimlin 113.0
26 C 33jesus jesus 114.5
27 A Marty6 Cambodunum 119.3
28 C Sambaopreis Sambaopreis 120.8
29 A Golden Rose Golden Rose SA 130.4
30 A Mike G MikeVentura 134.1
31 C Shorthanded Shorty 142.8
32 B sailon2 jahmbo SA 143.9
33 A From The Rail A-Squared 145.3
34 A I Sail The Black Boat Thistle1678 152.2
35 B GrandbendOnt GrandbendOnt 158.4
36 A Ozzy Ozzy85 159.2
37 A daan62 hutspot77 165.3
38 B gary  hschutz 169.6
39 A Driftwood Me Rongo Rekohu SA 176.5
40 C Vin Divided Sky 185.3
41 A Mud Sailor Mudsailor SA 187.0
42 B Alpina (Columba) ColombaRacing 194.2
43 C Patman Patman 198.3
44 C onedesignracing TeamSatisfaction 199.0
45 B stanlutz USA644RAVEN_SA 200.5
46 B Rimike rider1982 206.3
47 C Peacefrog Team False Racing 208.5
48 B   cg_ 214.8
49 A Hike, Bitches HikeBitches 243.0
50 B N/A Walkaround 250.5
51 C Sandpipper Sandpipper 254.3
52 C Loon Localdog 260.1
53 C sailingk8 She Wolf 285.3
54 A HKG1203 HKG1203 471.8
  • Like 8

So going by my rough calculations boats like karriv (the current leader) have a 75nm lead over boats like Toppen. That's a lot of distance to make up, no matter how good of a VR sailor you are. Still there is about 1,900nm to go and the gap may close, but if I was one of the leaders I would cover like crazy from now on to the finish.

• Like 1

I was initially undecided whether to jibe early or go south. So I foolishly chose a medium variant, which is usually disastrous. 
However, the current ranking seems to reflect quite exactly the order of the first jibe. 

@ Mini En Mai: Mom, I need help: how close can you get to a buoy?I was pretty good in the leading pack, but apparently did not round the mark 2 properly during the night... I had to turn back and lost 10,000 places in the rankings....

• Like 1

Milli, I have never not rounded a bouy by being too close. I have cut some pretty fine, it is harder now with the boat size and waypoints being too big than it used to be a few years ago, so I convinced you cant get too close anymore. Maybe something else went wrong? If you think your white line is going round a mark whilst using waypoints, I am sure it will. Did you have a TWA course which somehow ended up wrong side of the mark after a wind shift?

• Like 1

@ stufishing. I've set the course with waypoints. 
However, I set the waypoint at the buoy very narrowly, in order to save unnecessary way. Must have been too close... 

sadly working every day this week (a travesty in itself now uni has neded for the summer) and going for Koh Samui Regatta next week so don't have time to do this leg. Wish i was more realistic when paying for the full pack lol. Good luck all!!

• Like 1

3 hours ago, Milli said:

:unsure:

Bildschirmfoto 2018-05-23 um 11.14.06.png

You can cut it very close with waypoints.  Visualizing the point to go around is the hard part.  I tend to assume it's under the center of the buoy's base.   Having the waypoint itself and/or a programmation indicator in there will further obscure things.

Looking at those blue lines, I'd say the inbound course was very close to the limit.  I'd have come in probably halfway from where you came in to the edge of the buoy's base (and I tend to cut it closer than most).  But that line might have been ok.  Very close.  Too close to sleep through.  But...  you didn't set that waypoint far enough north.  The turn occurred too soon.  You definitely came out on the near side of the center of the base.  In your image, the back of the white arrow's head on the left side of the buoy is about where I'd have wanted to come out.  You might be able to push it to the middle of that arrow, but I wouldn't risk the tip of it, and you're well short of there.

That's a bummer, but everyone who does a lot of these races in a serious way does it and "learns the hard way".  Biggest thing is...  the gain from cutting it close is small, and the loss from overdoing it is huge.  So if you want to chance it, you need to be able to check on it moments after.  If you're going to be asleep or otherwise offline, give it a wider margin.  (Coastal stuff with grounding risks too).  Of course, that turns into paranoia, sleep loss, etc.

Good job in VOR.  See you in the park-up at the finish.  ;-)

• Like 3

7 hours ago, Your Mom said:

You can cut it very close with waypoints.  Visualizing the point to go around is the hard part.  I tend to assume it's under the center of the buoy's base.   Having the waypoint itself and/or a programmation indicator in there will further obscure things.

Looking at those blue lines, I'd say the inbound course was very close to the limit.  I'd have come in probably halfway from where you came in to the edge of the buoy's base (and I tend to cut it closer than most).  But that line might have been ok.  Very close.  Too close to sleep through.  But...  you didn't set that waypoint far enough north.  The turn occurred too soon.  You definitely came out on the near side of the center of the base.  In your image, the back of the white arrow's head on the left side of the buoy is about where I'd have wanted to come out.  You might be able to push it to the middle of that arrow, but I wouldn't risk the tip of it, and you're well short of there.

That's a bummer, but everyone who does a lot of these races in a serious way does it and "learns the hard way".  Biggest thing is...  the gain from cutting it close is small, and the loss from overdoing it is huge.  So if you want to chance it, you need to be able to check on it moments after.  If you're going to be asleep or otherwise offline, give it a wider margin.  (Coastal stuff with grounding risks too).  Of course, that turns into paranoia, sleep loss, etc.

Good job in VOR.  See you in the park-up at the finish.  ;-)

I wonder how accurate the lat lon position of the marks on zezo are relative to the VR marks. you could use that to plot a waypoint just a few seconds past the turning mark.

• Like 1

I think they're quite accurate, but of course your visibility to that position is dependent upon your ability to put your Zezo cursor precisely on it.

The thing is...  If you read the Zezo forums, you'll see that some people know how to dig into the VR cache files (or wherever it is that they get the parameters that they sometimes copy and paste in there) so they can get precise information about things.  For example...  this morning, I started thinking it could possibly make sense to go North of Ireland.  (Seriously...  but only if you'd be beating into light wind off its southern shore versus reaching in better wind through the Irish Sea).  So I asked in the Zezo forum if the game has any hidden gates requiring that Ireland be left to port.  (VR should be publicly clear about that kind of thing, but they often aren't).  Cvetan, the guy who runs Zezo, replied back with confirmation that there is no such gate.  On the other hand, if you go and look at the Mini en Mai forum in Zezo, you'll see that someone confirmed with copy & pasted code that there are hidden gates preventing some similarly creative courses.  Anyway...  getting to my point...  I think people who know how to get into that stuff can obtain the precise buoy coordinates, and then could set precise waypoints to round a mark as tightly as possible.

But...  I tend to do pretty well in those types of races (won Ultimed last year, and I'm the defending champ in Mini en Mai and running second in it now) without doing that stuff...  If enough people show up who take it to that level, I'll quit.  I don't want to race without being able to compete for the lead, but I don't want to do that level of work to be able to compete either.

• Like 3

11 hours ago, HKG1203 said:

sadly working every day this week (a travesty in itself now uni has neded for the summer) and going for Koh Samui Regatta next week so don't have time to do this leg. Wish i was more realistic when paying for the full pack lol. Good luck all!!

Where is the "Don't Like" button?

• Like 1

3 hours ago, Your Mom said:

For example...  this morning, I started thinking it could possibly make sense to go North of Ireland.  (Seriously...  but only if you'd be beating into light wind off its southern shore versus reaching in better wind through the Irish Sea).  So I asked in the Zezo forum if the game has any hidden gates requiring that Ireland be left to port.

The real VOR has a mark of the course at Mizzen Head Light to port.  However, this info has no influence on  what VR decide to do.

• Like 1

Hello,

A minor screw up on the 01:00UTC rankings, I did not realise that Blitzquart had sneaked in front of spadadua so the Group A boats are distance to spadadua and the Group B boats are distance to Blitzquart.  A small discrepancy and hopefully nothing that will make anyone lose sleep over.

1 A Milli Bitzquart 1537.23
2 B frostbit spadadua 2.3
3 A Your Mom Your Mom SA 14.4
4 A Gybe Turkey Gybe Turkey 17
5 A Kapt'n Kirk prowler_1-SA 17.7
6 A Breitling Breitling_SA 18.5
7 B   JeSa 19.5
8 B jacksparrow Malamute 20.2
9 A,B Gufmiester Gufmiester 22.5
10 A Blue Mountain YC  shockwave11 24.3
11 B stufishing Stufishing_SA 24.4
12 B kea.nn kea.nn SA 25.1
13 A Tunnel Rat Mongrel 27.4
14 A prettyhatemachine prettyhatemachine 28.6
15 A,B rolltak Awkward Turtle 32.6
16 A Wet Hog WetHog-SA 33.4
17 B Iluvitar Iluvitar 34.6
18 A Rainbow Spirit Rainbow Spirit II 34.8
19 A Sambaopreis Sambaopreis 43.4
20 B Magool Magool 43.9
21 A Marty6 Cambodunum 44.7
22 A Golden Rose Golden Rose SA 46.7
23 A Mike G MikeVentura 58.3
24 A I Sail The Black Boat Thistle1678 63
25 A From The Rail A-Squared 71.7
26 B sailon2 jahmbo SA 71.9
27 A daan62 hutspot77 76.2
28 A Ozzy Ozzy85 80.4
29 B GrandbendOnt GrandbendOnt 81.7
30 B gary  hschutz 82.1
31 B stanlutz USA644RAVEN_SA 108.6
32 B Alpina (Columba) ColombaRacing 116.6
33 A Mud Sailor Mudsailor SA 120.5
34 B Rimike rider1982 129
35 A Hike, Bitches HikeBitches 152.2
36 B N/A Walkaround 159.8
37 B Mr. Fixit Yodaman 193
38 B   cg_ 203
39 A Driftwood Me Rongo Rekohu SA 270
40 A HKG1203 HKG1203 929.4
  • Like 4

Full standings.  I was going to apply a correction factor since I also had Spadadua in the lead, but it didn't change the standings, so I didn't bother.  Have a great day or night wherever you are.

1 A Milli Bitzquart 1537.23
2 B frostbit spadadua 2.3
3 A Your Mom Your Mom SA 14.4
4 A Gybe Turkey Gybe Turkey 17.0
5 A Kapt'n Kirk prowler_1-SA 17.7
6 A Breitling Breitling_SA 18.5
7 C JeSa-SA JeSa 19.5
8 B jacksparrow Malamute 20.2
9 C mred mistered 21.2
10 B Gufmiester Gufmiester 22.5
11 A Blue Mountain YC  shockwave11 24.3
12 B stufishing Stufishing_SA 24.4
13 C KMan2K7 KMan2K7 24.8
14 B kea.nn kea.nn SA 25.1
15 A Tunnel Rat Mongrel 27.4
16 C Sapphire Girl Sapphire Girl 27.4
17 A prettyhatemachine prettyhatemachine 28.6
18 C Will Lee Lorraine III 30.3
19 C rolltak Awkward Turtle 32.6
20 A Wet Hog WetHog-SA 33.4
21 B Iluvitar Iluvitar 34.6
22 A Rainbow Spirit Rainbow Spirit II 34.8
23 C 4010 grimlin 34.8
24 C 33jesus jesus 39.3
25 C Sambaopreis Sambaopreis 43.4
26 B Magool Magool 43.9
27 A Marty6 Cambodunum 44.7
28 A Golden Rose Golden Rose SA 46.7
29 A Mike G MikeVentura 58.3
30 C Shorthanded Shorty 60.5
31 A I Sail The Black Boat Thistle1678 63.0
32 A From The Rail A-Squared 71.7
33 B sailon2 jahmbo SA 71.9
34 A daan62 hutspot77 76.2
35 A Ozzy Ozzy85 80.4
36 B GrandbendOnt GrandbendOnt 81.7
37 B gary  hschutz 82.1
38 C Peacefrog Team False Racing 105.4
39 B stanlutz USA644RAVEN_SA 108.6
40 B Alpina (Columba) ColombaRacing 116.6
41 A Mud Sailor Mudsailor SA 120.5
42 B Rimike rider1982 129.0
43 C onedesignracing TeamSatisfaction 135.9
44 C Patman Patman 139.9
45 C Vin Divided Sky 142.0
46 A Hike, Bitches HikeBitches 152.2
47 B N/A Walkaround 159.8
48 B Mr. Fixit Yodaman 193.0
49 B   cg_ 203.0
50 C Sandpipper Sandpipper 215.3
51 C Loon Localdog 258.3
52 A Driftwood Me Rongo Rekohu SA 270.0
53 C sailingk8 She Wolf 290.5
54 A HKG1203 HKG1203 929.4
  • Like 8

Mea Culpa. 

Yodaman, you have not fallen out of a black hole, I missed the decimal - you are 19.3. 

Sorry, I'll make sure your . is in the correct place tomorrow.

• Like 1

Haha..GBO..you are only ten places ahead of me back here in the 40's..I look forward to our upcoming duel when I catch you!! B)

• Like 2

10 hours ago, Tunnel Rat said:

Mea Culpa. 

Yodaman, you have not fallen out of a black hole, I missed the decimal - you are 19.3. 

Sorry, I'll make sure your . is in the correct place tomorrow.

HaHa, yeah TR I was just sitting down to a meal at a restaurant when I read that and couldn't get online to see what was going on.  figured I had found some lonely rock out there that no one knew about:blink:

• Like 2

missed the start by a bit more than an hour... first time i had a look, i was in 31000 position.

hutspot77

(c0 and foils for this leg)

• Like 1

Reminder for those doing the Mini en Mai: Going inside the island (between island and mainland) after buoy 4 is apparently not allowed (invisible gate as explained somewhere earlier).

I really don't understand the reason for making those gates invisible and the apparently different handling for different races. VR now states that you basically have to follow more or less the white line which e.g. was not the case in the VOR leg 4 where the white line was to the East of Australia and going around the West was also ok. If they forbid certain passages they should either set additional buoys, put a barrier across those passages or whatever instead of this hidden stuff.

• Like 1

Spadadua navigator has reached out.  Stunned to be close to front for so long. Anticipating tricky period as we transition from one system to the other as creating lots of opportunities to screw the pooch. Got a bit lucky to have gone south, but it just seemed to make sense. No routing assist used up to that point. now paying much closer attention...

• Like 1

I fell victim to a silly I phone blunder earlier today and lost 100 spots. I wish VR went back to the system of having you OK course changes. Frustrating little Z in my path.

• Like 1

So now VR changed some hidden gate (or added an additional one) near the bridge that connects the island to the mainland and it might be ok to go through the gap. But really all just an assumption in the zezo forum. Very unsatisfying situation all in all.

493305333_ScreenHunter_01May_2420_55.jpg.f1ceb97f4cffb9799930db0d415b3492.jpg

Your Mom going for the gap now after course correction

• Like 1

21 minutes ago, Marty6 said:

So now VR changed some hidden gate (or added an additional one) near the bridge that connects the island to the mainland and it might be ok to go through the gap. But really all just an assumption in the zezo forum. Very unsatisfying situation all in all.

For those who are confused by this...  It's about the Mini en Mai race.  We recently rounded a buoy and there was confusion about whether or not we had freedom to pass through the gap shown in Marty's image.  The technical gurus in the Zezo forum had analyzed things and determined there was an invisible gate requiring everyone to leave the island above that gap to starboard.  So I and several other leaders were beating into light wind to do so...  but VR subsequently changed the invisible gate to allow people to go through the gap, and no one noticed.  So...  I had to make a hard right turn.  I spent most of yesterday leading that race, and after some fleet compression, I was in a tight race with the top 8 for the win up until then.  This debacle cost me a bit more than a mile, and now I'm in 14th with no chance at anything better than about 8th and a pile of boats close behind who were previously off my radar.

So...  quite a mess.  But it's important that if we discuss races other than VOR in this thread, we keep it brief and be clear about which race is being discussed.  I think that's fine...  we only really need another thread if another race spawns a lot of conversation.  Historically, only VOR and Clipper have gotten enough SA attention to warrant threads, and I suspect the overall Ocean Racing Anarchy audience wouldn't be happy if we suddenly had new threads for every virtual race.

• Like 2

16 minutes ago, Your Mom said:

So...  quite a mess.  But it's important that if we discuss races other than VOR in this thread, we keep it brief and be clear about which race is being discussed.  I think that's fine...  we only really need another thread if another race spawns a lot of conversation.  Historically, only VOR and Clipper have gotten enough SA attention to warrant threads, and I suspect the overall Ocean Racing Anarchy audience wouldn't be happy if we suddenly had new threads for every virtual race.

Sorry about that. I thought i had a quote from my initial post with the race name in the second one. I might have accidentally deleted it when i edited the post to add the image.

• Like 1

@ Mini en Mai: what would have happened, if the invisible gate had still been in place and you had taken the inside route around Ile d'Oléron?

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Milli said:

@ Mini en Mai: what would have happened, if the invisible gate had still been in place and you had taken the inside route around Ile d'Oléron?

@ Mini en Mai:

As far as i understand it you would have dropped in the ranking and the buoy 5 wouldn't have turned green unless you went back over that striped line in the picture below and round buoy 5 at La Rochelle again. The dark green and red markers in the first picture and the line between them is the only hidden gate initially in the game and now there is as second one just after the bridge (second picture).

oleron.png.8e61264b0cf4eb11d871afba2800be44.png

oleron-new.png.1eca889713f3579dcd94fb5f70d76b12.png

• Like 2

Hello,

It is all looking rather processional at the moment, very few changes in the rankings (except for the meteoric rise of Yodaman back up to his rightful place.....humble apologies if I spoilt your meal).

Some minor excitement in a day or so with a tack, but then it all starts going pear shaped in 2.5 - 3 days time.  Everyone will need to be on their toes.

1 A Milli Bitzquart 1026.1
2 B frostbit spadadua 2.7
3 A Your Mom Your Mom SA 15
4 B Mr. Fixit Yodaman 18.1
5 A Gybe Turkey Gybe Turkey 18.3
6 A Breitling Breitling_SA 18.8
7 A Kapt'n Kirk prowler_1-SA 19.1
8 B jacksparrow Malamute 19.3
9 B   JeSa 19.4
10 B stufishing Stufishing_SA 22.9
11 A,B Gufmiester Gufmiester 23.2
12 B kea.nn kea.nn SA 24.6
13 A Blue Mountain YC  shockwave11 25.3
14 A Tunnel Rat Mongrel 27.4
15 A prettyhatemachine prettyhatemachine 28.7
16 A,B rolltak Awkward Turtle 32
17 B Iluvitar Iluvitar 34.5
18 A Wet Hog WetHog-SA 34.9
19 A Rainbow Spirit Rainbow Spirit II 36.1
20 B Magool Magool 44.2
21 A Sambaopreis Sambaopreis 45.8
22 A Marty6 Cambodunum 48.7
23 A Golden Rose Golden Rose SA 49.3
24 A Mike G MikeVentura 60.4
25 A I Sail The Black Boat Thistle1678 61.6
26 B sailon2 jahmbo SA 68.8
27 A From The Rail A-Squared 70.1
28 A daan62 hutspot77 77.2
29 B gary  hschutz 79.8
30 A Ozzy Ozzy85 92.6
31 B GrandbendOnt GrandbendOnt 96.9
32 B stanlutz USA644RAVEN_SA 111
33 B Alpina (Columba) ColombaRacing 123.4
34 A Mud Sailor Mudsailor SA 123.6
35 B Rimike rider1982 134.4
36 A Hike, Bitches HikeBitches 157.8
37 B N/A Walkaround 170
38 A Driftwood Me Rongo Rekohu SA 273.5
39 B   cg_ 494
40 A HKG1203 HKG1203 1443.5

• Like 4

4 hours ago, Marty6 said:

@ Mini en Mai:

As far as i understand it you would have dropped in the ranking and the buoy 5 wouldn't have turned green unless you went back over that striped line in the picture below and round buoy 5 at La Rochelle again. The dark green and red markers in the first picture and the line between them is the only hidden gate initially in the game and now there is as second one just after the bridge (second picture).

Correct.  Your ranking would improve as you get closer to Saint Denis d'Oleron from the wrong side, because it doesn't know you can't sail through the land to get to the correct side of it.  But once you get past it and continue on toward Rivedoux-Plage, your ranking would nosedive as people coming from the correct side validate the gate while you're diverging from the gate you've yet to validate.  And you'd be screwed because you'd have to go all the way back around Ild d'Oleron to fix it, which would take most of a day in these light conditions.

• Like 2

7 hours ago, Marty6 said:

493305333_ScreenHunter_01May_2420_55.jpg.f1ceb97f4cffb9799930db0d415b3492.jpg

Well this fucked up my race, lost about 1000 places due to me being in bed asleep and not knowing about the change, I was also a little too close to the wind for a while as I didn't get the programming right, but if I'd been going for the gap I'd have been fine, it is what it is though, which is why I don't pay them money anymore......

• Like 1

Ah haha haa hahahaha....here comes GBO..right back near me where he belongs.

We'll have a race yet, GBO! (Except I hope to be on my own 4KSB this weekend, so who knows if I'll remember to check in to the race!)

• Like 1

Full standings

1 A Milli Bitzquart 1026.1
2 B frostbit spadadua 2.7
3 A Your Mom Your Mom SA 15.0
4 B Mr. Fixit Yodaman 18.1
5 A Gybe Turkey Gybe Turkey 18.3
6 A Breitling Breitling_SA 18.8
7 A Kapt'n Kirk prowler_1-SA 19.1
8 B jacksparrow Malamute 19.3
9 C JeSa-SA JeSa 19.4