Mckarma

The Rimas thread needs to die

50 minutes ago, Mckarma said:

I was prompted to do this.  Don't blame me.

Thoughts?

Thoughts? Who prompted you?

EDIT:  Tricky Tommy Turkey is getting to you; that's it right?  That's his best work since Weird Stooge and the 1000 days thread..

2 hours ago, Dex Sawash said:

Not without a death certificate or confirmed wreckage

1 hour ago, RKoch said:

Everyone has the option of not clicking on it. 

Ditto.

Some of us only just found Rimas (or at least the thread).

1 hour ago, DtM said:

Some of us only just found Rimas (or at least the thread).

Well, go read the whole thing and report back tomorrow.

5 hours ago, RKoch said:

Everyone has the option of not clicking on it. 

...Then we can play... Don't think elephant. :mellow:

Frankly, other than an occasional glimpse at the VOR thread,,this pathetic thread is almost the only reason I come to SA anymore.

• Downvote 1

We need someone to write a concordance to the thread, highlighting the key posts and providing backstory at important points. Otherwise you can experience the SA equivalent of being blown out the back of a road bike peloton, where you lack the emotional energy to catch back on no matter how bad you want to. 

It wase juste oune of thoise thinges, juste oune of thoise crazey flinges,  Oune of thoise belles thet nowe then ringes, juste oune of thoise thinges.         :)

5 hours ago, Ishmael said:

Well, go read the whole thing and report back tomorrow.

That's going to take more than a day!

are there cliff notes?

Can we get a summary of what's going on, the Rimas story is intriguing. Starting to read that thread is a little intimidating.

18 minutes ago, V21 said:

Can we get a summary of what's going on, the Rimas story is intriguing. Starting to read that thread is a little intimidating.

He's suspected dead, crashed on a reef in the southern pacific.

37 minutes ago, billy backstay said:

He's suspected dead, crashed on a reef in the southern pacific.

Lies!

Only one theory put forth by the "reefers"...

those who share the idea of his demise by coral!

1 hour ago, V21 said:

Funny talking foreign bum gives up sleeping under bridges after being given an old throw-away of a 40 year old racer-cruiser. Despite the boat having been unsuitable for ocean voyaging even when new, he announces he bravely sailing around the world but needs handouts. He is sailing for America or for childrens' cancer, can't make up his mind which , but starts a Facebook page to make it easier to donate to his cause.

Actually sets off, and proves to know nothing about boats or sailing. And he refuses to learn. The rigging of the boat is a comedy lash-up. No worries, the boat drifts to Alaska where it bumps into some rocks and sticks it's keel into beach sand; becoming known as the Rimas Lawn-Dart Landing which few have tried and even fewer succeeded. Instead of being left on his boat to live happily, Rimas is "rescued" and comes back to Civilization (Starbucks) where he panhandles another free boat and drifts to Samoa, where he has to be towed in because he cannot sail his boat (although he tells officials in Samoa that he needs to be rescued because he is out of food and water, so they will tow him)

Dock space for a boat is not free but this does not bother RImas. Pay bills? Repair rigging? These details are too trivial for him sully his hands with. Rimas is Bold Kon-Tiki Style Ocean Brave Voyager on Historic Round-The-World Voyage! Just ask him, btw would you pick up the tab for this mornings' Starbucks? He is not exactly kicked out of Samoa but he is given enough money to buy airfare back to the States.

Where he is given yet a 3rd free boat. Hey, you don't expect him to go back to dumpsters and sleeping in a cardboard box / under a bridge, do ya? Not our Brave Ocean Sailor Drifter. This boat is not equipped with a dead fish hanging from the rigging, but Rimas brings his beloved chicken and many boxes of Idaho Instant Buttery Mashed Potatoes, and he is ready for another Brave Adventure, with many free sailboat related items such as charts of places he doesn't know where they are, and huge orange life ring (who is he going to throw it to? But it looks very bravely nautical). He gets his picture taken with a Russian sailor's blouse and captains hat, staring grimly to the distant horizon. And hangs out at Starbucks, begging for internet donations on their free WiFi.

But alas, brave ocean voyagers must leave port. Rimas set sail was towed clear of harbor, he has learned nothing of sailing so he drifted across the South Pacific despite his announced intention of going to Alaska again, and now we don't know where he is.

This summary left out some details and you just have to see the photos. But I tried to capture the flavor in less than 217 pages (the count this morning)

FB- Doug

14 minutes ago, ModernViking said:

What's the VOR thread?

Vikings Of Russia.

Vör

From Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

In Norse mythology, Vör (Old Norse, possibly "the careful one,"[1] or "aware, careful"[2]) is a goddess associated with wisdom. Vör is attested in the Prose Edda, written in the 13th century by Snorri Sturluson; and twice in kennings employed in skaldic poetry. Scholars have proposed theories about the implications of the goddess.

MØØSE!!

5 hours ago, Steam Flyer said:

Funny talking foreign bum gives up sleeping under bridges after being given an old throw-away of a 40 year old racer-cruiser. Despite the boat having been unsuitable for ocean voyaging even when new, he announces he bravely sailing around the world but needs handouts. He is sailing for America or for childrens' cancer, can't make up his mind which , but starts a Facebook page to make it easier to donate to his cause.

Actually sets off, and proves to know nothing about boats or sailing. And he refuses to learn. The rigging of the boat is a comedy lash-up. No worries, the boat drifts to Alaska where it bumps into some rocks and sticks it's keel into beach sand; becoming known as the Rimas Lawn-Dart Landing which few have tried and even fewer succeeded. Instead of being left on his boat to live happily, Rimas is "rescued" and comes back to Civilization (Starbucks) where he panhandles another free boat and drifts to Samoa, where he has to be towed in because he cannot sail his boat (although he tells officials in Samoa that he needs to be rescued because he is out of food and water, so they will tow him)

Dock space for a boat is not free but this does not bother RImas. Pay bills? Repair rigging? These details are too trivial for him sully his hands with. Rimas is Bold Kon-Tiki Style Ocean Brave Voyager on Historic Round-The-World Voyage! Just ask him, btw would you pick up the tab for this mornings' Starbucks? He is not exactly kicked out of Samoa but he is given enough money to buy airfare back to the States.

Where he is given yet a 3rd free boat. Hey, you don't expect him to go back to dumpsters and sleeping in a cardboard box / under a bridge, do ya? Not our Brave Ocean Sailor Drifter. This boat is not equipped with a dead fish hanging from the rigging, but Rimas brings his beloved chicken and many boxes of Idaho Instant Buttery Mashed Potatoes, and he is ready for another Brave Adventure, with many free sailboat related items such as charts of places he doesn't know where they are, and huge orange life ring (who is he going to throw it to? But it looks very bravely nautical). He gets his picture taken with a Russian sailor's blouse and captains hat, staring grimly to the distant horizon. And hangs out at Starbucks, begging for internet donations on their free WiFi.

But alas, brave ocean voyagers must leave port. Rimas set sail was towed clear of harbor, he has learned nothing of sailing so he drifted across the South Pacific despite his announced intention of going to Alaska again, and now we don't know where he is.

This summary left out some details and you just have to see the photos. But I tried to capture the flavor in less than 217 pages (the count this morning)

FB- Doug

Golf Clap

3 hours ago, Albatros said:

Vör

From Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

In Norse mythology, Vör (Old Norse, possibly "the careful one,"[1] or "aware, careful"[2]) is a goddess associated with wisdom. Vör is attested in the Prose Edda, written in the 13th century by Snorri Sturluson; and twice in kennings employed in skaldic poetry. Scholars have proposed theories about the implications of the goddess.

MØØSE!!

My sister was once bitten by a moose. . .

No realli! She was Karving her initials on the møøse with the sharpened end of an interspace tøøthbrush given her by Svenge

let's leave out the Llama's

1 hour ago, Albatros said:

your Voracious Offal Rapists ? sure you do

Oooooh, that's offal!

On 8/11/2017 at 5:03 PM, Albatros said:

No realli! She was Karving her initials on the møøse with the sharpened end of an interspace tøøthbrush given her by Svenge

let's leave out the Llama's

Mexican Whooping Llamas or just your average Battery Llamas?

Can we rename this thread to "Rimas (R.I.P.) Memorial Page" ?

We could start a memorial fund to pay back all the goods and services he's skipped out on.

On 8/11/2017 at 7:17 PM, RKoch said:

Offa of Mercia:

KingOffa.jpg

He did invent the pound sterling.

Is that supposed to be a portrait of Offa of Mercia? I'm doubtful, he looks rather worried for a guy who was the Bretwalda, unifier of 6 barbarian kingdoms, avenger of Aethelbald of Mercia, builder of a great wall, beheader of the King of East Anglia, skipping a bit here

blog-beheading2.jpg?w=730

This painting was done by Matthew Paris who also lived long after Offa and presumably had no idea what he looked like; but at least doesn't give the look of a harried bureaucrat dressed up for playing D&D

FB- Doug

On 12/08/2017 at 0:29 AM, Snaggletooth said:

Wase Sterling hise house maide?

:lol:

2 hours ago, Steam Flyer said:

Is that supposed to be a portrait of Offa of Mercia? I'm doubtful, he looks rather worried for a guy who was the Bretwalda, unifier of 6 barbarian kingdoms, avenger of Aethelbald of Mercia, builder of a great wall, beheader of the King of East Anglia, skipping a bit here

blog-beheading2.jpg?w=730

This painting was done by Matthew Paris who also lived long after Offa and presumably had no idea what he looked like; but at least doesn't give the look of a harried bureaucrat dressed up for playing D&D

FB- Doug

The pic I posted is much later, it looks 15th-16th century maybe. AFAIK, the closet thing to a contemporary portrait of King Offa is his likeness stamped on the coinage he issued.

220px-Offa_king_of_Mercia_757_796_b.jpg

1 hour ago, RKoch said:

The pic I posted is much later, it looks 15th-16th century maybe. AFAIK, the closet thing to a contemporary portrait of King Offa is his likeness stamped on the coinage he issued.

220px-Offa_king_of_Mercia_757_796_b.jpg

He looked like Lady Gaga?

18 minutes ago, Ishmael said:

LOL! As near as I can tell...

3 minutes ago, RKoch said:
23 minutes ago, Ishmael said:

LOL! As near as I can tell...

Hmmm... I'd be willing to bet that in real life, he had a beard.

Question- if you put a coin like that under your mast step, would it bring good luck? Personally, I think it's bad luck to be superstitious but I like to cover the bases

FB- Doug

1 hour ago, Steam Flyer said:

...Personally, I think it's bad luck to be superstitious...

Solid gold!

I've been using that line for decades. lol.gif

Fully 50% of the people who hear it ask, "Why?" lol.gif

8 minutes ago, Somebody Else said:

1 hour ago, Steam Flyer said:

... Personally, I think it's bad luck to be superstitious ...

Solid gold!

You're in a better environment than me. Around here, 50% of the people don't bat an eye and about 45% of the rest say "What? Wait..."

About ten r twelve years ago, I realized we were living in the Age of Ebay and bought myself an honest to god Spanish Doubloon coin to put under the mast. The crew I had argued that ordering it off the internet did not bring one good luck, you had to gain it by some other means. Dunno if it ever made any difference but it sitting on a shelf in the house now awaiting my next keelboat.

FB- Doug

13 hours ago, Somebody Else said:

Solid gold!

60% of the time it works every time!

30 minutes ago, bplipschitz said:

60% of the time it works every time!

It's six and a half of one and a dozen of the other

20 hours ago, Ishmael said:

Ahh, the motivation a twelve pack of Leinenkugal brings!