Shortforbob

I still call Australia home

21 hours ago, Happy said:

So thank you, brother Random, for providing an obvious outlet for my day's accumulated rage. You make it so easy.

So glad to help.

Could I suggest seeking some anger management courses?  You really do need help.

2 minutes ago, random said:

So glad to help.

Could I suggest seeking some anger management courses?  You really do need help.

Maybe Scott could run a sideline forum :rolleyes:

1 hour ago, random said:

So glad to help.

I manage my anger just fine. Unleashing it here in words is vastly better than unleashing it in the street with a baseball bat.

A wise man once said: "The world is not really full of assholes, they're just strategically distributed so you run into at least one every hour."

The only help I need is some way to reduce the assholes per hour ratio in my life.

4 minutes ago, Happy said:

The only help I need is some way to reduce the assholes per hour ratio in my life.

That's easy Grasshopper.  Stay away from PA.

Just now, random said:
6 minutes ago, Happy said:

That's easy Grasshopper.  Stay away from PA.

717561362_Hes_right_you_know.jpg.5d2f60f9f288e5f7c49f56ceac10c134.jpg

This place is pure entertainment. You don't think I take any of this shit seriously do you?

The assholes I refer to are in the real world.

5 hours ago, Shortforbob said:

Welcome sister :D

Right back at you.

Please can I ask you to drop the emojis? I can understand you fine without needing visual prompts, its very irritating.

10 minutes ago, Maw said:

Right back at you.

Please can I ask you to drop the emojis? I can understand you fine without needing visual prompts, its very irritating.

Hmmmm? 

get used to em..I like my emojis...so..no

:tea:

• Like 1

59 minutes ago, Happy said:

You don't think I take any of this shit seriously do you?

The assholes I refer to are in the real world

No I don't.  But seriously, the one regret I have about my working life is that there were one or two situations where I should have just exited instead of toughing it out.

Think about a change.

2 hours ago, random said:

No I don't.  But seriously, the one regret I have about my working life is that there were one or two situations where I should have just exited instead of toughing it out.

Yeah, we've all been there. Hindsight is 100%.

FKT

On 12/21/2018 at 2:45 AM, VOA said:

So Randy the lying arrogant smug shill cunt promotes smoking. 

SMH

He does seem to have a penchant for men with cylindrical objects between their lips...NTTIAWWT...

12 minutes ago, Shortforbob said:

WTF what?

Grabbler's comment. That came out of left field somewhere.

1 hour ago, Ishmael said:

Not if you've been paying attention.

FKT

3 hours ago, Ishmael said:

Only cos he's not seen around PA much. If you've read any of his stuff in GA, it seems pretty par for the course. -shrug-

49 minutes ago, VOA said:

The Greens would say- 

Neil Prakash is a misunderstood fine young man on an overseas adventure who has been maligned and victimised by this racist Islamophobic government

This is crap..he's Australian born not naturalised. Our responsibility.

Be careful what you wish for.

6 minutes ago, VOA said:

Citizenship is a privilege Meli. This guy does not deserve it. It’s been revoked and that’s a good thing. 

So.it's OK for a terrorist born and raised in Pakistan of an Australian parent to be stripped of his Pakistani Citizenship and dumped over here?

Citizenship by nationalisation is a privilege, Citizenship by birth is a right...Start messing with principle and anyone can be made stateless.

1 hour ago, Shortforbob said:

So.it's OK for a terrorist born and raised in Pakistan of an Australian parent to be stripped of his Pakistani Citizenship and dumped over here?

Citizenship by nationalisation is a privilege, Citizenship by birth is a right...Start messing with principle and anyone can be made stateless.

He’s not stateless, he has Fijian papers as well. 

WTF you guys are sort of seriously talking about political stuff and it's NYD where you are. I mean seriously WTF? HNY from WA...well in 4 mins anyway :P

7 minutes ago, albanyguy said:

And yes i am PUI

If that means what I think it means, please be careful!

9 hours ago, Bent Sailor said:

Only cos he's not seen around PA much. If you've read any of his stuff in GA, it seems pretty par for the course. -shrug-

I don't go in GA much, frequently just scan topics and posters and mark everything read.

7 hours ago, VOA said:

Neither you or I has any say over what Pakistan does in your  imaginary situation. 

Revoking this bastards citizenship is a good thing. 

7 hours ago, mad said:

He’s not stateless, he has Fijian papers as well. 

it's not about him it's the bigger picture...there's millions of people who are birthright citizens of one country and have access to the citizenship of another through parentage..you want all overseas born criminals with a british mother shipped back to the UK?

This 23YO young man never knew his Fijian father, has a schizophrenic mother, was raised a Buddhist, bullied at school, lived couch surfing..you want all other countries failures shipped back here

He's our responsibility. 

AND Albany, I'm (i was) enjoying a rather nice Shiraz in between playing host .....yes..there's(was)actually a NYE party happening at my place ....they're (were) all outside, under the firework lights.......................

Playing some RP game....nerds :)

Happy New Year !

it's not about him it's the bigger picture...there's millions of people who are birthright citizens of one country and have access to the citizenship of another through parentage..you want all overseas born criminals with a british mother shipped back to the UK?

That'd be a good start.....

No, on this one I'm afraid that I agree with you. If they're Australian citizens by birth, they're in a different category.

However, if, before they depart, they're informed that leaving Australia and participating in a war/conflict/terrorist activity overseas will lead to loss of their citizenship I'm good with it. At that point, it's their choice.

FKT

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Fah Kiew Tu said:

That'd be a good start.....

No, on this one I'm afraid that I agree with you. If they're Australian citizens by birth, they're in a different category.

However, if, before they depart, they're informed that leaving Australia and participating in a war/conflict/terrorist activity overseas will lead to loss of their citizenship I'm good with it. At that point, it's their choice.

FKT

Are there no Australian mercenaries that would hit as well?

1 minute ago, Ishmael said:

So what? It's illegal to fight in foreign wars without permission. The only difference is, the mercenary expects to get paid.

Basically, it only applies to people who have or can obtain dual citizenship and who choose to fight in foreign wars/conflicts without permission, knowing that they are breaking Australian law while doing so.

Fuck them. I'm more than happy to let them leave and never to return. They choose, it's on their head.

FKT

3 hours ago, Ishmael said:

excellent point. 

27 minutes ago, VOA said:
54 minutes ago, Shortforbob said:

excellent point. 

Pro terrorist and pro mercenary. 

Guess what? Prakash no longer calls Australia home  

Well done you hypocrite. 

The Aussie muslims who went to the Islamic state don't consider themselves to be Australians. They even had passport burning ceremonies when they arrived in the Islamic state.

Isis doctor Tareq Kamleh: I don't care about losing Australian citizenship

The former paediatric registrar says he doesn’t intend to return to Australia and has no qualms about the cancellation of his medical registration

An Australian doctor who left the country to join Isis and is now wanted by the federal police on several terrorism-related charges, has stated he has “no concerns” if he is stripped of his citizenship and medical registration, and that he no longer considers himself an Australian.

In a post on his Facebook page on Sunday, Kamleh wrote an open letter to the Australian Health Practitioner Regulation Agency (AHPRA), which recently began moves to strip Kamleh of his medical registration.

Dear AHPRA,

1. I have no concern if you cancel my registration

2. I have no concern if you cancel my passport

3. I knew where I was coming

4. I intend to stay here

5. I anticipated an arrest warrant, hence why I left in secret

6. None of the case you put forward has indicated to me a malicious character on my behalf and it is this injustice within the Australian judicial system that was a catalyst for me to leave.

Do as you please, I no longer consider myself an Australian,

The continuous bombing of civillian targets here by the coalition has done nothing but disappoint me of the country I once loved so much

Regards,

Tareq Kamleh

https://www.theguardian.com/australia-news/2015/jun/21/isis-doctor-tareq-kamleh-i-dont-care-about-losing-australian-citizenship

16 minutes ago, Mohammed Bin Lyin said:

The Aussie muslims who went to the Islamic state don't consider themselves to be Australians. They even had passport burning ceremonies when they arrived in the Islamic state.

Um..what about the non muslims that joined up as volunteers for the other side?..they lose their citizenship too?

2 hours ago, VOA said:

I was testing meli’s Google fu and you had to ruin it. 

Matthew Gardiner, former NT labor party president, is your test case. 

God you're thick :D

Jamie Williams

However who or what they fight for, paid or unpaid is not really my point.

It's the thin end of the wedge.

Today someone fighting for a group we deem terrorist has their (birthright) citizenship stripped.

Tomorrow Australian fighting for the enemies of our friends has their Citizenship stripped.

Next, I'll lose mine (none birthright) for sending donations to rebuild Gaza.

Then my kids get their birthright citizenship stripped for supporting Hamas..(not Izz ad-Din alQassam) 

It's the nature of punitive legislation to become more severe not less so.

2 hours ago, Shortforbob said:
5 hours ago, VOA said:

I was testing meli’s Google fu and you had to ruin it. 

Matthew Gardiner, former NT labor party president, is your test case. 

God you're thick :D

Jamie Williams

Today someone fighting for a group we deem terrorist has their (birthright) citizenship stripped.

Tomorrow Australian fighting for the enemies of our friends has their Citizenship stripped.

Then my kids get their birthright citizenship stripped for supporting Hamas..(not Izz ad-Din alQassam) 

Does this only apply to dual citizens? 

We can only hope you're still a pommie citizen perhaps we can get you deported as well:P

16 minutes ago, Mohammed Bin Lyin said:

Does this only apply to dual citizens? 

We can only hope you're still a pommie citizen perhaps we can get you deported as well:P

yep..and the kids..you should know after our MP's Debacle, theres probably millions of born Australians that are entitled to  dual citizenship  and not even aware of it.

Like I said, be careful what you wish for.

12 hours ago, Shortforbob said:
12 hours ago, Mohammed Bin Lyin said:

Um..what about the non muslims that joined up as volunteers for the other side?..they lose their citizenship too?

Are these the same kind of muslims who were thronging out in the streets cheering for 9/11? You know, the invisible ones.

10 hours ago, Shortforbob said:

On the last two, I doubt it. It's easy enough to block transfers and fine/jail you for giving money to proscribed causes/people. You're only supporting killing people by proxy after all.

Besides, as you point out, there are a hell of a lot of people with potential dual citizenship. That would serve to limit any extensions to this law. I'm prepared to fight that battle as & when it arises. In the meantime I'm more than happy to remove citizenship from people who want to go and fight for proscribed causes and have the Govt do the best they can to prevent such people from re-entering Australia.

You might be happy to have them back and living on the dole near you but I'm not.

FKT

6 hours ago, Fah Kiew Tu said:

You might be happy to have them back and living on the dole near you but I'm not.

So you'd be happy for them to come back and live near you as long as they were gainfully employed by Coles or the local tuck shop? 

1 hour ago, Bent Sailor said:

So you'd be happy for them to come back and live near you as long as they were gainfully employed by Coles or the local tuck shop? 

If they renounced all violence, acknowledged that Australian secular law overrode religious teachings, agreed to abide by Australian law, gave convincing sureties that they actually *meant* it, yes.

People can change.

However they'd only get the one chance and any backsliding on their commitments and they'd be gone.

FKT

22 minutes ago, Fah Kiew Tu said:

If they renounced all violence, acknowledged that Australian secular law overrode religious teachings, agreed to abide by Australian law, gave convincing sureties that they actually *meant* it, yes.

People can change.

However they'd only get the one chance and any backsliding on their commitments and they'd be gone.

I noticed nothing about staying gainfully employed. It would appear that them "living on the dole" isn't really that big a deal for you in the grand scheme of things. 

I see little merit deciding a person deserves their citizenship revoked based on their employment status. I agree that their loyalty to our country vs that of terrorist organisations is a much better attribute to base the decision on. Them being on the dole isn't that important. 

1 minute ago, Bent Sailor said:

I noticed nothing about staying gainfully employed. It would appear that them "living on the dole" isn't really that big a deal for you in the grand scheme of things. 

I see little merit deciding a person deserves their citizenship revoked based on their employment status and agree that their loyalty to our country vs that of terrorist organisations is a much better attribute to base the decision on. 

Nobody has ever suggested revoking citizenship based on employment status, not even Meli, so you dragged that one straight out of your arse. Should have left it there.

FKT

Just now, Fah Kiew Tu said:

Nobody has ever suggested revoking citizenship based on employment status, not even Meli, so you dragged that one straight out of your arse. Should have left it there.

I know that. Which is why I clarified your odd statement and agree with your explicitly stated position. 

It was still odd you bringing up them living on the dole as somehow relevant though. 

8 hours ago, Fah Kiew Tu said:

I'd already made my point without having to quote that oddity, but you couldn't help yourself. A wise man once said "Should have left it there". I think you should listen to him. 

• Downvote 1

9 minutes ago, VOA said:

Aren’t you the conceited, smug arrogant cunt. 

Prakash wouldn’t get a job at Coles, they do police checks prior to employing people. Ergo, if he were allowed to return to Australia he would be on the dole. I’m glad he’s had his citizenship revoked. I hope there’s more of it, repeat violent criminals should be on the list as well. 

See, here's a perfect example of that slippery slope..Birthright Australians who are repeat violent offenders should have their Citizenship revoked..not just terrorists..and he hopes there's more of it...thank you for proving my point.

16 minutes ago, Shortforbob said:

See, here's a perfect example of that slippery slope..Birthright Australians who are repeat violent offenders should have their Citizenship revoked..not just terrorists..and he hopes there's more of it...thank you for proving my point.

Happy New Year Meli!

Birthright citizens who are repeat violent offenders......if you revoke their citizenship.......where do you send them?

Or are you saying they should not be allowed to travel.....ever?

A slippery slope indeed.

11 minutes ago, Navig8tor said:

Happy New Year Meli!

Birthright citizens who are repeat violent offenders......if you revoke their citizenship.......where do you send them?

Or are you saying they should not be allowed to travel.....ever?

A slippery slope indeed.

Not me saying it, it's for VOA to explain...You see the Idea seems to be, that if these people have dual citizenship..send em back to where ever their parents or grandparents came from..If they have no Dual Citizenship, I suppose they stay. How to create second class citizens 101.-_-

6 minutes ago, VOA said:

There’s an AFL player of kiwi descent whose daddy has been sent home to where he comes from never to return. Did you get all up in arms about that Mel?

theres quite a few kiwis that have been smacked with the ban stick. 

Kiwi citizens or Australian citizens? they are actually separate countries.

Nothing unusual or wrong about deporting non Australians for criminal activities, Dustin Martin;s father Shane is NOT an Australian citizen AFAIK....now ..about those second class Australians you want to create.

12 minutes ago, VOA said:

There’s an AFL player of kiwi descent whose daddy has been sent home to where he comes from never to return. Did you get all up in arms about that Mel?

A pity you cannot revoke the citizenship of your cricket and rugby teams:D

Well Dutton's fucked it up. Prakash is not a Fijian Citizen..well..according to Fiji.

https://www.abc.net.au/news/2019-01-02/neil-prakash-lost-citizenship-automatically-says-peter-dutton/10679908

On Saturday Mr Dutton announced Prakash was the 12th dual citizen to lose Australian citizenship for engaging in terrorism.

Terrorists who only hold Australian citizenship cannot lose it, because doing so would leave them stateless.

Prakash, 27, was born to a Fijian father and Cambodian mother.

But the head of Fiji's Immigration Department, Nemani Vuniwaqa, told a local newspaper Prakash was not a Fijian citizen.

"Neil Prakash has not been or is a Fijian citizen," Mr Vuniwaqa told the Fiji Sun.

"For a child of a Fiji citizen born overseas, the parent has to apply for citizenship for the child to become a Fiji citizen. The department has searched the immigration system and confirms that he has not entered the country nor applied for citizenship since birth."

31 minutes ago, VOA said:

So he’s stateless. Or he makes his applications to Fiji and Cambodia.

hes not coming back to Australia 

So..when or If your kids get here, you'll be OK with them being second class citizens?6

hey we could have a whole ranking system.

6- 60 generations australian? First class

2-5 generations Australian..with no over seas born parents..2nd class

born here with 1 Australian parent 3rd class

Naturalised Australians 4th class..endless possibility..Just like colour bar's only better 

born in Australia , you are a citizen and no Gov can remove it .

born o/s of Australia , your citizenship can be removed .

why should we be able to throw our rubbish ( Australian born ) onto the world .

• Like 2

46 minutes ago, Shortforbob said:

Well Dutton's fucked it up. Prakash is not a Fijian Citizen..well..according to Fiji.

In other words, he cannot (by law) have his Australian citizenship revoked. The law Dutton is relying on was written to prevent the government from rendering Australian citizens stateless.

It'll be interesting to see how the government tries to wiggle their way out of this one. They can either admit they went off half-cocked (again) or try forcing Fiji to give him citizenship so they can deport him. Given there is no way Fiji went public before telling our government about their citizenship search & decision, I wonder how Dutton likes his crow prepared?

• Like 1

7 minutes ago, Mid said:

born in Australia , you are a citizen and no Gov can remove it .

born o/s of Australia , your citizenship can be removed .

why should we be able to throw our rubbish ( Australian born ) onto the world .

Well, I wouldn't totally agree with that either..re naturalised Australians returning someone to a place just because their parents were born there..

My BIL was born in Egypt. of Egypyian parents.came here when he was two..deporting a Naturalised australian who came here as a child is cruel and unusual punishment..possibly a death sentence..why cant the Gov just stop dogwhistling and leave things alone?

1 minute ago, Shortforbob said:

deporting a Naturalised australian who came here as a child is cruel and unusual punishment.

If they are guilty of terrorism then care factor zero

5 minutes ago, VOA said:

After his gaol time in Turkey. He’s a terrorist, he can go back to his Islamic state. 

So you're just wishfully thinking then..no substance to your assertions...doing a dummy spit as it were? 

Fine :)

Just now, Mid said:

If they are guilty of terrorism then care factor zero

Um..raised here?? they are still our rubbish ..not to be dumped on some happless countries doorstep with a little note :rolleyes:

12 minutes ago, Bent Sailor said:

It'll be interesting to see how the government tries to wiggle their way out of this one. They can either admit they went off half-cocked (again) or try forcing Fiji to give him citizenship so they can deport him.

How are they going to deport him? He's in a Turkish prison.

It does look like Dutton has fucked up, though. Never mind, we can jail him if he ever returns and then put him on a permanent control order (which I consider to be a quite severe violation of rights, incidentally).

FKT

1 minute ago, Shortforbob said:

Um..raised here?? they are still our rubbish ..

nope , starts and stops with born here .

6 minutes ago, Shortforbob said:

Well, I wouldn't totally agree with that either..re naturalised Australians returning someone to a place just because their parents were born there..

My BIL was born in Egypt. of Egypyian parents.came here when he was two..deporting a Naturalised australian who came here as a child is cruel and unusual punishment..possibly a death sentence..why cant the Gov just stop dogwhistling and leave things alone?

We do it all the time to people who've not bothered to take out Australian citizenship regardless of how long they've been in the country. I don't have a problem with that either.

I realise that you want to let everyone who turns up in, and refuse to countenance removing people who can't obey our laws, but most Australians disagree with you.

FKT

13 minutes ago, Shortforbob said:

why cant the Gov just stop dogwhistling and leave things alone?

Because there are votes in it. Really as simple as that.

8 minutes ago, Fah Kiew Tu said:

How are they going to deport him? He's in a Turkish prison.

He's not staying there forever and the Turkish aren't going to keep him around after he gets out. So the deportation would probably occur the usual way for the time when he's done. Perhaps by plane, but maybe we'll have something cooler by then. It's already way past time for stargate style portals.

1 minute ago, Fah Kiew Tu said:

We do it all the time to people who've not bothered to take out Australian citizenship regardless of how long they've been in the country. I don't have a problem with that either.

I realise that you want to let everyone who turns up in, and refuse to countenance removing people who can't obey our laws, but most Australians disagree with you.

FKT

I know we do..sometimes less responsibly than others..I think we sent one back to the UK...mentally ill, knew no one ..I think he died.

My BIL is Jewish..secular but jewish non the less..how long would he survive in Egypt..or his sister? 

Laws are supposed to reflect justice and mercy, (you know, the blindfolded lady with the scales) no matter how unpalatable outcome may sometimes be..and I like it that way

4 minutes ago, Shortforbob said:

Laws are supposed to reflect justice and mercy, 

You're funny, tell us some more.

Laws have always been written by the 'haves' to protect property from the unwashed. And each other.

Occasional alms get thrown to the peasants to stop them revolting.

As expected, Dutton is doubling down on the stupid. In response to the head of the Fijian department of immigration categorically stating that, by their laws, Prakash isn't a citizen of their country and never was, Dutton's response was:

“We’ve a great deal of respect for the Fijians, but the legal advice to us on the operation of law in relation to Mr Prakash was clear.”

Stated another way - "We will decide the laws of your country and the circumstances in which they change". And to think that some folks wanted him in charge. :rolleyes:

• Downvote 1

3 hours ago, VOA said:

There was a documentary on this a few months ago. 

Two senior New Zealand ministers have taken a brickbat to Australia, calling the politics of deportations "venal" and warning the issue is straining relations between the two countries.

Key points:

• In the past three years 1,300 Kiwis have been deported to New Zealand
  • In the same time, New Zealand has sent back nine Australian citizens
  • Peter Dutton says the deportation is not in breach of human rights

The criticism comes in the wake of a steep rise in deportations of Kiwis since the passage of laws in 2014 that allowed deportation of long-term Australian residents, who are not citizens, on the grounds of "character", as well as those who have been sentenced to prison for 12 months or more.

"Many are being sent back here with no real connections, no real networks, no real support," New Zealand Justice Minister Andrew Little said.

https://www.abc.net.au/news/2018-07-17/new-zealand-ministers-criticise-australia-deportation-laws/9999460

The British are getting onto it as well. 

https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-politics-21783475

Mahdi Hashi, 23, was given a British passport after he was brought to Britain from Somalia with his family nearly 20 years ago. 

He was in Somalia last summer when the Home Office told his parents his citizenship had been taken away from him.

Just before Christmas, US prosecutors said Mahdi Hashi had been flown to New York by the FBI and charged with providing material support to al-Qaeda-linked militant group al-Shabab.

Under section 40 of the British Nationality Act 1981, as amended in 2006, the home secretary may make an order depriving a person of citizenship status if they are "satisfied that deprivation is conducive to the public good". No reasons need be given and no court approval is required.

Who is this scumbag? Neil Erikson associated with gavin mcinnes 

https://www.abc.net.au/news/2019-01-05/far-right-rally-in-st-kilda/10686966

second provocation this year https://www.abc.net.au/news/2018-12-29/st-kilda-clash-far-right-activists-target-young-men/10673088  ..why pick St Kilda?

Thanks Trump :angry:

42 minutes ago, VOA said:

Love how channel 7 picks an Africaans to interview..I wonder if maybe his son was assaulted for airing certain unaustralian views he forgot to leave in his home country before emigrating?

Interesting that this is all you can respond with..anyone would think you support those right wing provocateurs. 

• Like 1

saw one of these signs yesterday for the first time .............................

af25d0ee-6656-4fe8-bf22-09966c2eaf30.thumb.jpg.1354133416302fa6f6a46e05e91e05c6.jpg

49 minutes ago, Mid said:

saw one of these signs yesterday for the first time .............................

Huh? Since when can't you drink our rainwater?

Just now, Ease the sheet. said:

Since someone could profit from water.

Its a big city thing.

Amazing what you can convince people of given the right marketing. We have a lovely Californian living with us at the moment and she can't bring herself to drinking water out of the tap. I kid you not. 

5 hours ago, Mid said:

af25d0ee-6656-4fe8-bf22-09966c2eaf30.thumb.jpg.1354133416302fa6f6a46e05e91e05c6.jpg

Sign, sign, everywhere a sign
Blockin' out the scenery, breakin' my mind
Do this, don't do that, can't you read the sign?

Image result for no fishing in toilet sign

1 minute ago, Bent Sailor said:

We have a lovely Californian living with us at the moment 

Tits?

45 minutes ago, Bent Sailor said:

Amazing what you can convince people of given the right marketing. We have a lovely Californian living with us at the moment and she can't bring herself to drinking water out of the tap. I kid you not. 

The bottled water industrial complex has a lot to answer for.

It is essentially illegal to collect rainwater for domestic use in parts of several western US states (deprives the farmers of it.....) so maybe she doesn't want to break the law?

42 minutes ago, Fleetwood said:

It is essentially illegal to collect rainwater for domestic use in parts of several western US states (deprives the farmers of it.....) so maybe she doesn't want to break the law?

Wha?? how can having a rainwater tank on your property deprive farmers of water? Sounds about as intelligent as Trump's comments on rivers being "foolishly diverted to the ocean"  :rolleyes:

Nah, Americans can be very odd about water..I remember after Chernobyl went up..I was travelling in Europe (western Europe) and the American kids in the hostels were boiling their water to remove radiation :D ..said the state department had advised them to do so ..double :rolleyes:

wondered about that also , perhaps the thinking is the water is not reaching the aquifers . 

6 minutes ago, Mid said:

wondered about that also , perhaps the thinking is the water is not reaching the aquifers . 

like a 5000 ltr tank is going to make a dent..but your prolly right.

Or possibly she thinks Australian water is like the USA

Wha?? how can having a rainwater tank on your property deprive farmers of water? Sounds about as intelligent as Trump's comments on rivers being "foolishly diverted to the ocean"  :rolleyes:

I wouldn't go too far with that - it may well *technically* be illegal if you don't have permission right here in some States of Australia.

You don't own the water that falls on your own land, I can assure you. Nor can you build a dam without permission, even a tiny one.

Fortunately it's a law rarely enforced.

FKT

In Victoria its against the law to create any barrier that blocks a watercourse.  From the sky to the creek/river. So a farmer cannot put a dam on his property.

Unless you have a permit........

Water tanks in the city have an exception created after the drought 10 years ago. Unless they're plumbed into the storm water system. Then a permit is mandatory. And water tanks can only supply toilet and laundry if plumbed to house.

so your saying you cant connect a tank to your gutter in australia? or dig a hole and let it fill ?? weird.

I know you cant dam or block a water course..that's a no brainer.

mind you, I think I made a few attempts in my yoof. :)

We actually managed to part flood a paddock once.

3 minutes ago, Shortforbob said:

so your saying you cant connect a tank to your gutter in australia? or dig a hole and let it fill ?? weird.

Basically, yes. Though I'm no authority.  Your council would be people to talk to. My council charged me a small fortune for a water tank permit. Then the state gov took their cut for a certificate of compliance.

1 minute ago, Ease the sheet. said:

Basically, yes. Though I'm no authority.  Your council would be people to talk to. My council charged me a small fortune for a water tank permit. Then the state gov took their cut for a certificate of compliance.

So..my (clean) wheelie bin under the downpipe was illegal ..daayem :D

1 hour ago, Ease the sheet. said:

Thank you..but that wheelie bin thing was during the drought 10 years ago. :) when I had a garden worth mentioning..and a workshop :(

no room for a tank now..I just make the kids skip showers to make up for hosing the dog wee  off the concrete.,,good for about 5000 ltrs 

And in news this morning for MBL...

David Leyonhjelm to quit federal politics and contest NSW election

The man everyone knew only got in because of party name confusion amongst the Liberal/National voters is calling it quits before it can be proven beyond doubt that no-one really wanted him. 

And in news for those that think Dutton is anything but a screw-up...

Dutton's citizenship case against terrorist Prakash shredded

Given a chance to work something out with Fiji over the holiday break... Dutton managed sweet-fuck-all and now Fiji has removed any & all wiggle room on the matter. The guy doesn't have and never did have a Fijian citizenship. Moreover, they have stated (contrary to the Liberal's earlier statements) that no-one form the government consulted them about the matter before they declared his Aussie citizenship null & void. Therefore, by current law, Dutton cannot have removed it. Which means Prakash is coming back here. 

I never had much respect for the "small target" approach by Shorten, but I'll be damned if it isn't paying dividends. 

16 hours ago, Fleetwood said:

In Colorado its now OK to collect up to 110 gals in a rain barrel.