Shortforbob

I still call Australia home

On 1/18/2019 at 7:43 PM, mikewof said:

You still don't seem to grasp that your problem is largely feral animals and not, in fact, your neighbor's pets, the mere sight of which makes you want to kill them.

So, its just on dusk, and you spot a cat stalking something in your back yard.

How do you tell if its a pet or feral?

No bell, no collar, wandering the bush? Balance of probability points to feral doesn't it

24 minutes ago, albanyguy said:

Yep you simply don't get it. I won't bother explaining it to you any further coz you're just digging a deeper hole for yourself.

You don't get it

Killing a neighbor's pet will offer close to zero help to your local ecosystem, and it will make that neighbor a miserable mess.

The problem is mostly ferals, not pets. But I've no idea why you and FKT refuse to make that distinction.

15 minutes ago, Se7en said:

So, its just on dusk, and you spot a cat stalking something in your back yard.

How do you tell if its a pet or feral?

No bell, no collar, wandering the bush? Balance of probability points to feral doesn't it

Why are you asking me? He was the one who claims to shoot pets with collars. Ask him.

12 minutes ago, mikewof said:

You don't get it

Killing a neighbor's pet will offer close to zero help to your local ecosystem, and it will make that neighbor a miserable mess.

The problem is mostly ferals, not pets. But I've no idea why you and FKT refuse to make that distinction.

Killing the neighbors cat will immensely improve the eco system. And the neighbor should be more responsible.

• Like 3

2 hours ago, mikewof said:

You don't get it

Yet again you are wrong Mikey. I live opposite a highly regarded reserve very close to downtown Albany. Cats are not welcome in the reserve, neither are unrestrained dogs.

Would someone shoot an unrestrained dog or free-roaming cat in that reserve? Most likely no, however if i came across one and knew who the owner of said cat or dog was then I'd have a few harsh words with said owner.

• Like 1

3 hours ago, mikewof said:

You don't get it

Because there is no distinction.

If you live anywhere in semi urban australia, the hills around sydney or melbourne, where the cul de sac of 3 bed brick homes sit on a 1/4 acre block and backs onto a ferny state park .our small wild creatures are continually stalked and killed by domestic cats. 

How did this "debate" for want of a better word get here?

2 hours ago, albanyguy said:

Yet again you are wrong Mikey. I live opposite a highly regarded reserve very close to downtown Albany. Cats are not welcome in the reserve, neither are unrestrained dogs.

Would someone shoot an unrestrained dog or free-roaming cat in that reserve? Most likely no, however if i came across one and knew who the owner of said cat or dog was then I'd have a few harsh words with said owner.

So lessee ... You wouldn't kill someone's pet, but you're defending someone else to kill that pet?

And he didn't mention anything about a reserve, the pets that die are just the ones who have the misfortune of wandering over his fence line.

2 hours ago, Shortforbob said:

Because there is no distinction.

If you live anywhere in semi urban australia, the hills around sydney or melbourne, where the cul de sac of 3 bed brick homes sit on a 1/4 acre block and backs onto a ferny state park .our small wild creatures are continually stalked and killed by domestic cats. 

How did this "debate" for want of a better word get here?

There is a distinction, you're arguing for the position of dysfunction.

A pet is a member of a human, taxpaying family, a feral is not.

Any mild benefit to the native species from killing someone's pet is violently overwhelmed by the inherent anti-social nature of the desire to kill one's neighbor's pets.

5 hours ago, Ease the sheet. said:

Killing the neighbors cat will immensely improve the eco system. the neighbor should be more responsible.

Ah, so you have data of the wildlife killed by collared pets versus ferals? Do tell.

6 hours ago, mikewof said:

Ah, so you have data of the wildlife killed by collared pets versus ferals? Do tell.

A paper published in the  2016 journal Biological Conversation, estimates feral cats kill 316 million birds a year, while pet cats kill 61 million birds annually. More than 99% are native.

Oh no, you out-Googled Mikey... His flailing about looking to change the subject is going to be epic. Hang on, I'll go get some popcorn. 

34 minutes ago, Ease the sheet. said:

Mikey still thinks cats are pets.

Too funny.

Cats are pets but like all introduced species to Australia, they have a very detrimental effect on the native flaura and fauna. 

8 minutes ago, dreadom said:

Cats are pets but like all introduced species to Australia, they have a very detrimental effect on the native flaura and fauna. 

Cats are not pets. Just because you can own one, doesn't make it a pet. Just because it can live in a domestic setting, doesn't make it domesticated.

When you can teach a cat to come when called, sit and roll over, then you might have a point. Until then they're just wild animals that like to cough up fur balls unto the floor

Now lets get back on the main purpose of this thread - taking the piss out of you leftists. Have any of you taken the '10 year challenge' that seems to be sweeping the social media world among the attention challenged?

This is good...

Image may contain: 2 people, text

17 minutes ago, dreadom said:

Cats are 0.0001 generations removed from animals that can and do survive in the wild with no human assistance. There is no functional difference between a cat with its own personal servants and a cat that has to hunt & kill its own food AS LONG AS THE OWNER LETS IT RUN LOOSE.

Which point Mikey, despite *numerous* opportunities, STILL refuses to address.

And BTW here's a challenge for Mikey seeing as he spends a lot of his time & energy defaming me - find a single post by me where I state that I have ever shot a cat wearing a collar and bell. Should be dead easy for you since you've stated as fact that I've done so.

Of course you could simply admit that your statement was a figment of your imagination and desire to score points, but you don't have the required amount of intellectual honesty to do that. Watching you thrash about will be entertaining though.

And Meli, I dragged this over here by posting that ABC article about feral cat research. Thought it belonged in PA more than GA.

FKT

2 minutes ago, LB 15 said:

Now lets get back on the main purpose of this thread - taking the piss out of you leftists. Have any of you taken the '10 year challenge' that seems to be sweeping the social media world among the attention challenged?

This is good...

Never mind, Shorten and his cohort will fix that for us. I've given up on the House of Reps, going to vote for all the hard Right ratbags in the Senate for maximum disruption of ALP legislation.

FKT

23 minutes ago, LB 15 said:

This is good...

Yet spending as a % of gdp has hardly varied.

Its about revenue....

file-20170508-20729-efgrak.png?ixlib=rb-

And before you gloat in your fishing abilities,  what the fuck is that cunt palmer doing sending me texts?

12 minutes ago, Ease the sheet. said:

And before you gloat in your fishing abilities,  what the fuck is that cunt palmer doing sending me texts?

I'd like to know that, too. Is there any way of blocking a sender on an Android phone?

FKT

11 minutes ago, Fah Kiew Tu said:

I'd like to know that, too. Is there any way of blocking a sender on an Android phone?

FKT

There is but I think they are unblockable....

Click on number in phone log.

When contact comes up, click on 4 vertical dots in top right corner.

Click add to reject list.

2 hours ago, dreadom said:

A paper published in the  2016 journal Biological Conversation, estimates feral cats kill 316 million birds a year, while pet cats kill 61 million birds annually. More than 99% are native.

No we're getting somewhere. An Aussie who uses actual data and science.

Okay, so pet cats kill about 20% of the birds that feral cats kill, right? Do you have a link to the study? Because I'll bet even money that pet cats with reflective collars and bells in some dude's backyard kill close to 0% of that total.

Now, how many birds are killed in Australia due to other human activity like power lines, wind farms, agriculture, building collisions, lighting, etc.? I don't have that data for Oz, but I have it for Canada, where the cold greatly diminishes the contribution from feral cats relative to pet cats, and it seems that other non-cat human activities about match the contribution from pet cats, presumably most of which are uncollared and unbelled. http://theconversation.com/wind-farms-are-hardly-the-bird-slayers-theyre-made-out-to-be-heres-why-79567

I'll wait for your link for the data in Oz, but it sure seems that we're gradually getting to the reality the the neighbor's pets represents ... if these pet-killing assholes in this thread were really as intelligent as they claim, they would be out hunting humans in an effort to save birds, rather than pets.

But it's funny how science and data works for the scientifically-illiterate huh? They thump the data for backup in global warming, even right here in PA, but when it comes to pets, they ignore the data and science, presumably because they enjoy killing pets.

1 hour ago, Fah Kiew Tu said:

Cats are 0.0001 generations removed from animals that can and do survive in the wild with no human assistance. There is no functional difference between a cat with its own personal servants and a cat that has to hunt & kill its own food AS LONG AS THE OWNER LETS IT RUN LOOSE.

Which point Mikey, despite *numerous* opportunities, STILL refuses to address.

And BTW here's a challenge for Mikey seeing as he spends a lot of his time & energy defaming me - find a single post by me where I state that I have ever shot a cat wearing a collar and bell. Should be dead easy for you since you've stated as fact that I've done so.

Of course you could simply admit that your statement was a figment of your imagination and desire to score points, but you don't have the required amount of intellectual honesty to do that. Watching you thrash about will be entertaining though.

And Meli, I dragged this over here by posting that ABC article about feral cat research. Thought it belonged in PA more than GA.

FKT

I'm waiting for you to clarify ... do you not kill collared pet cats in your yard? Because you earlier claimed that you do kill pet cats, you didn't make the exclusion of pets that have collars.

Feeling a little dysfunctional with your earlier post perhaps?

1 hour ago, dreadom said:

By "introduced species", do you include all those Europeans and their water-wasting, pollution-spewing, concrete-paving descendants? Or do you mostly just include things like cats and pigs and cane toads?

5 minutes ago, mikewof said:

By "introduced species", do you include all those Europeans and their water-wasting, pollution-spewing, concrete-paving descendants? Or do you mostly just include things like cats and pigs and cane toads?

Yes I mean everything that has been introduced since 1788. Now fuck off and do your own research.

20 minutes ago, dreadom said:

Yes I mean everything that has been introduced since 1788. Now fuck off and do your own research.

You know the SA rules, pix or it didn't happen. You cited the research without giving a link.

Anyway, so it seems clear that humans cause more bird deaths than collared pets, should FKT and other self-annointed pet hunters like him be given a license to hunt humans?

3 minutes ago, mikewof said:

You know the SA rules, pix or it didn't happen. You cited the research without giving a link.

Anyway, so it seems clear that humans cause more bird deaths than collared pets, should FKT and other self-annointed pet hunters like him be given a license to hunt humans?

Mikey it’s time to go back on your meds. 

38 minutes ago, mikewof said:

Now, how many birds are killed in Australia due to other human activity like power lines, wind farms, agriculture, building collisions, lighting, etc.? I don't have that data for Oz, but I have it for Canada, where the cold greatly diminishes the contribution from feral cats relative to pet cats, and it seems that other non-cat human activities about match the contribution from pet cats, presumably most of which are uncollared and unbelled. http://theconversation.com/wind-farms-are-hardly-the-bird-slayers-theyre-made-out-to-be-heres-why-79567

Cool - lets extrapolate from Canada, where you have shitloads of endemic mammalian predators, and the whole country freezes to death each year, to Australia where we have essentially none, and we boil water by leaving it outside in the shade.

That seems sensible

6 minutes ago, dreadom said:

Mikey it’s time to go back on your meds. 

Seems kinda silly huh? Hunting humans. But that dysfunctional logic is used in this thread to justify hunting the neighbour's pets.

Since you mention "meds" it does seem outright crazy to run around like a glazed idiot, shooting the neighbor's pets.

4 minutes ago, Se7en said:

Cool - lets extrapolate from Canada, where you have shitloads of endemic mammalian predators, and the whole country freezes to death each year, to Australia where we have essentially none, and we boil water by leaving it outside.

That seems sensible

That's the point, and I wrote that, they don't have the feral cat problem that you have, and the human contribution there is significant. And further they list the feral vs. per cat impact in Canada, and the pet cats have an even larger relative impact in Canada than they have in Australia! (Compared to the Australian study that Dread cited but didn't provide a link.)

1 minute ago, VOA said:

Huh? Who is advocating hunting neighbours pets? 

Did you mean Destroying pests?

Maybe put down the bottle long enough to read the whole thread before the denial kicked in?

16 minutes ago, mikewof said:

The perfect mikey post.

A criticism of someone for not linking to research followed by an unsupported accusation.

"It seems clear humans cause more bird deaths than collared pets"

WFD!

15 hours ago, Ease the sheet. said:

Killing the neighbors cat will immensely improve the eco system. And the neighbor should be more responsible.

How can you say this. Mikey knows all about how the native fauna is preyed in by both feral and pet cats in countries he knows fuck all about. As I live in one of those countries I can only assume I was into the drug scene to much and hallucinated the neighbours fluffy knocking of the chicks around our pond. Must have imagined getting rid of it as well, which is good as I have been having trouble sleeping. Can sleep peacefully, like the cat, from now on. 

39 minutes ago, mikewof said:

Seems kinda silly huh? Hunting humans. But that dysfunctional logic is used in this thread to justify hunting the neighbour's pets.

Since you mention "meds" it does seem outright crazy to run around like a glazed idiot, shooting the neighbor's pets.

The bylaws here in Aus are that if you own a cat it must be kept indoors between sunset and sunrise, it must also be micro-chipped. Hardly any fucken cat owners take notice.

Best anything I ever did was to invest in a trap which I periodically bait and set at night, on my property. I would say the ratio of feral/domestic is 50/50. I then do my Greenie leftist bit and take them up to the RSPCA, if they unclaimed after 10 days they get the needle. Amazing how much native reptile and bird life comes back after you've done this for a while. Cats kill near on everything, except Canetoads of course.     

Best place for a cat

c83c35b86a2b87a3eb2117b613ba34655c43a7e1  

10 minutes ago, FinnFish said:

The bylaws here in Aus are that if you own a cat it must be kept indoors between sunset and sunrise, it must also be micro-chipped. Hardly any fucken cat owners take notice.

Best anything I ever did was to invest in a trap which I periodically bait and set at night, on my property. I would say the ratio of feral/domestic is 50/50. I then do my Greenie leftist bit and take them up to the RSPCA, if they unclaimed after 10 days they get the needle. Amazing how much native reptile and bird life comes back after you've done this for a while. Cats kill near on everything, except Canetoads of course.     

Best place for a cat

c83c35b86a2b87a3eb2117b613ba34655c43a7e1  

Surely a responsible cat owner would keep their cat indoors so as not to be taken by a snake.....

2 hours ago, Ease the sheet. said:

There is but I think they are unblockable....

Click on number in phone log.

When contact comes up, click on 4 vertical dots in top right corner.

Click add to reject list.

Text him back a dick pic.

3 hours ago, Ease the sheet. said:

Yet spending as a % of gdp has hardly varied.

Its about revenue....

file-20170508-20729-efgrak.png?ixlib=rb-

Me gloat? Never. I do however love this place and not just for the fishing (which is terrific BTW...)

37 minutes ago, Shortforbob said:

A rat leaving a sinking ship.

She had a chance to support the claims of others of sexism and bullying in the liberal party and sold out for 20 pieces of silver. Her mentor, peter costello, would be proud.

54 minutes ago, LB 15 said:

Text him back a dick pic.

Text him back a pic of a successful nickel mine instead.

A dick and a successful nickel mine. 2 things that fat fuck hasn't seen since 1974.

I hope he gets his giant, floating monstrosity built and comes to you to learn about the sea......

3 hours ago, Ease the sheet. said:

The perfect mikey post.

A criticism of someone for not linking to research followed by an unsupported accusation.

"It seems clear humans cause more bird deaths than collared pets"

WFD!

I linked data that supported it, if you dispute it, prove it, otherwise, perhaps you should crawl back into the stupid hole from which you periodically emerge to post unsupported nonsense.

3 hours ago, FinnFish said:

I also try to avoid killing animals when possible. Why do you give the cats a chance to be reunited with their families instead of just killing them?

Given your druthers, would you get rid of all invasive species in Oz?

Just now, mikewof said:

I also try to avoid killing animals when possible. Why do you do it that way instead of just killing them?

you're a vegan then?

1 hour ago, Ease the sheet. said:

Text him back a pic of a successful nickel mine instead.

A dick and a successful nickel mine. 2 things that fat fuck hasn't seen since 1974.

I hope he gets his giant, floating monstrosity built and comes to you to learn about the sea......

What is your problem? Not everyone that understands that only a moron would vote for the ALP is a supporter of that fat fuck. It’s just the cunts ego anyway. Even he must realise that he can’t win a single seat. There there cup cake, there is no need to be afraid of the big scary fat man.

1 hour ago, Ease the sheet. said:

A rat leaving a sinking ship.

She had a chance to support the claims of others of sexism and bullying in the liberal party and sold out for 20 pieces of silver. Her mentor, peter costello, would be proud.

Maybe the claims are not true? Do you personally have any evidence or like climate change do you simply rely on your ‘beliefs’ passed onto you by other believers? The same way religious nut jobs do...

Many of the labor rats from their last ship wreak are still feasting on the dead carcass of their party. 

Just now, LB 15 said:

Maybe the claims are not true? Do you personally have any evidence or like climate change do you simply rely on your ‘beliefs’ passed onto you by other believers? The same way religious nut jobs do...

Many of the labor rats from their last ship wreak are still feasting on the dead carcass of their party. 

you saying the claims of sexism and bullying are not true? I think you'll be pushing a dead cat in a barrow to spin that line.

1 minute ago, Shortforbob said:

you saying the claims of sexism and bullying are not true? I think you'll be pushing a dead cat in a barrow to spin that line.

So how do you know? Do you have any evidence, or are you just passing on left wing gossip? All I have seen is female members of the party denying that such a culture exists. Should they have quotas like the ALP? You know where people are selected for their gender not their ability? 

36 minutes ago, mikewof said:

I also try to avoid killing animals when possible. Why do you give the cats a chance to be reunited with their families instead of just killing them?

Your gonna equate humans with cats now?

Because if you were holding a cat in my yard........

22 minutes ago, LB 15 said:

What is your problem? Not everyone that understands that only a moron would vote for the ALP is a supporter of that fat fuck. It’s just the cunts ego anyway. Even he must realise that he can’t win a single seat. There there cup cake, there is no need to be afraid of the big scary fat man.

He will win at least a seat. Queenslanders can vote too, you know.....

2 minutes ago, Ease the sheet. said:

He will win at least a seat. Queenslanders can vote too, you know.....

Shows what you know. He certainly won’t get a house of reps seat and one in the senate would be a stretch. Now can I help with that hook in your lip? Any good murders down in Victoria lately? Such nice people down there...

13 minutes ago, Shortforbob said:

No. He's saying that anyone who would suggest such a thing is a religious nut job.

Like the prime minister.

3 minutes ago, LB 15 said:

So how do you know? Do you have any evidence, or are you just passing on left wing gossip? All I have seen is female members of the party denying that such a culture exists. Should they have quotas like the ALP? You know where people are selected for their gender not their ability? 

Oh FFS.

Adding some weight to the claims, Minister for Women Kelly O'Dwyer said she had spoken to both male and female MPs and that "it is clear to me that people were subject to threats and intimidation and bullying".

https://www.abc.net.au/news/2018-09-07/nasty-tactics-dutton-backers-liberal-spill-revealed/10212110

Liberal senator Lucy Gichuhi has threatened to use parliamentary privilege to name those inside the Liberal Party she says have bullied and intimidated her.

In an exclusive interview with RN Drive, Senator Gichuhi said she knew bullying happened to other MPs in the Parliament during the spill because she witnessed it.

"Absolutely, I had senators and ministers in tears, that's how bad it was. One of my colleagues was in tears the whole day," she said.

West Australian senator Linda Reynolds hit out at bullying and intimidation in a speech in the Senate during the leadership spill and she is standing by her comments.

But she says the Liberal party must deal with it behind closed doors.

“Clearly there are issues we do need to address, and I’m now dealing with them internally in the party, in our processes, the prime minister and the whips have set up,” Reynolds told Sky News today.

While their commitment to feminism is lukewarm at best and hostile at worst, the Liberal women speaking out about bullying and intimidation in their party room and the parliament merit praise. Since the botched coup to install Peter Dutton as prime minister, Kelly O’Dwyer, Julia Banks, Linda Reynolds, Lucy Gichuhi and Julie Bishop tentatively acknowledge that the strong-arming and testosterone-bombing that defines the M.O. of some Liberal MPs has a sexist dimension.

need i continue?

1 minute ago, Ease the sheet. said:

No. He's saying that anyone who would suggest such a thing is a religious nut job.

Like the prime minister.

No I was comparing you climate change zealots as being like the Prime Minster.

• Like 1

1 minute ago, LB 15 said:

Show what you know. He certainly won’t get a house of reps seat and one in the senate would be a stretch. Now can I help with that hook in your lip?

The state of katter and hanson and that 19 vote fuckwit  had previously voted in palmer. Why wouldn't they do it again?

2 minutes ago, LB 15 said:

No I was comparing you climate change zealots as being like the Prime Minster.

why aren't you two out sailing..it's a rare perfect afternoon here in Melb

4 minutes ago, Shortforbob said:

Oh FFS.

Adding some weight to the claims, Minister for Women Kelly O'Dwyer said she had spoken to both male and female MPs and that "it is clear to me that people were subject to threats and intimidation and bullying".

https://www.abc.net.au/news/2018-09-07/nasty-tactics-dutton-backers-liberal-spill-revealed/10212110

Liberal senator Lucy Gichuhi has threatened to use parliamentary privilege to name those inside the Liberal Party she says have bullied and intimidated her.

In an exclusive interview with RN Drive, Senator Gichuhi said she knew bullying happened to other MPs in the Parliament during the spill because she witnessed it.

"Absolutely, I had senators and ministers in tears, that's how bad it was. One of my colleagues was in tears the whole day," she said.

West Australian senator Linda Reynolds hit out at bullying and intimidation in a speech in the Senate during the leadership spill and she is standing by her comments.

But she says the Liberal party must deal with it behind closed doors.

“Clearly there are issues we do need to address, and I’m now dealing with them internally in the party, in our processes, the prime minister and the whips have set up,” Reynolds told Sky News today.

While their commitment to feminism is lukewarm at best and hostile at worst, the Liberal women speaking out about bullying and intimidation in their party room and the parliament merit praise. Since the botched coup to install Peter Dutton as prime minister, Kelly O’Dwyer, Julia Banks, Linda Reynolds, Lucy Gichuhi and Julie Bishop tentatively acknowledge that the strong-arming and testosterone-bombing that defines the M.O. of some Liberal MPs has a sexist dimension.

need i continue?

I love making a Meli google on demand. It’s like having your own private Siri. Meli when will you realise that no one reads any shit you post? An opinion piece from the ABC. Bwahahahahahaha.

You can’t make this shit up!

3 minutes ago, Shortforbob said:

why aren't you two out sailing..it's a rare perfect afternoon here in Melb

I am. Just anchored in horseshoe bay and the punters are tieing knots and plotting a night Nav exercise. I am a bit bored.

3 minutes ago, LB 15 said:

I am. Just anchored in horseshoe bay and the punters are tieing knots and plotting a night Nav exercise. I am a bit bored.

I've been scrubbing the paint drips off my floors and stairs..so I'll swap

And those quotes were from a variety of media outlets...it's quite telling though that I can't find any right wing news outlets running with it.

1 hour ago, Shortforbob said:

you're a vegan then?

Huh? Your logic stream is akin to an Etch-a-Sketch that needs some shaking.

43 minutes ago, Ease the sheet. said:

Your gonna equate humans with cats now?

Because if you were holding a cat in my yard........

I didn't ask him about humans, I asked him about other invasive species in your continent. I asked him if he would get rid of all of them, and I don't mean the human ones, just animals.

2 minutes ago, mikewof said:

I didn't ask him about humans, I asked him about other invasive species in your continent. I asked him if he would get rid of all of them, and I don't mean the human ones, just animals.

In all seriousness, you won't find many Australians with much sympathy towards non natives.

Camels and high country brumbies get some sympathy but not much. Deer get some sympathy as a game animal.

But rabbits, cats, wild dogs, foxes, pigs and goats get none.

11 minutes ago, Ease the sheet. said:

In all seriousness, you won't find many Australians with much sympathy towards non natives.

Camels and high country brumbies get some sympathy but not much. Deer get some sympathy as a game animal.

What about European honeybees?

37 minutes ago, Ease the sheet. said:

Probably our most "amusing" pest...more comedy docos 

20 minutes ago, Ease the sheet. said:

A few Cougars on the Gold Coast are loved most nights. And afternoons.

• Like 1

15 minutes ago, mikewof said:

What about European honeybees?

You mean the things that pollinate our non native plants?

I would prefer they weren't here and our native bees were thriving.

You gonna ask about all the other introduced animals that have found their way into the food chain?

Would eating cat help focus your position?

9 minutes ago, Ease the sheet. said:

We've got mikey, we don't need woody too.

Oh Christ on a Pogo stick .

4 minutes ago, VOA said:

Tha mail stole it from the Australian. It’s behind a paywall. DM actually credits the weekend Australian if you check the link

I'm sure a Journo from "the Australian" managed to find a fisherman in a fishing village that would be happy to read and understand our Laws and bone up on ALP policy?

I'm sure he'd be very happy to have his picture taken and published too.Just so we can ID him when we pick him up.

:rolleyes:

We have an election coming, VOA heard it first here!

Gripping reading in the daily mail. Did you read that one about the actress and her actor husband being outraged too?

4 hours ago, Ease the sheet. said:

You mean the things that pollinate our non native plants?

I would prefer they weren't here and our native bees were thriving.

You gonna ask about all the other introduced animals that have found their way into the food chain?

Would eating cat help focus your position?

Two things ...

I've no issue with anyone wanting to control invasive species. You may be slurping up the milky disinformation that FKT and Giselle are putting out for you. The point I keep returning is that sometime's pet, properly collared, is not harmful to those native species, and the desire to kill someone's pet in the name of ecosystem is just thinly-veiled dysfunction.

In fact, you responded to a question to FinnFish, who -- as any normal person -- seems to prefer NOT to shoot his neighbor's pets. And yet, inexplicably, you aren't being wetting your pigtails crying to him about that the way you are to me.

Second, it's one thing to complain about the obvious invasive species, but then you get to European Honey Bees, and it seems your carefully-constructed paradigm again falls apart. If industry developed a 100% effective way to exterminate that honey bee, I assume that most any educated agricultural consumer would then willingly shove it up their ass before actually using it, because that particular introduced species has made you and your country rather wealthy and the native species of pollinators are less capable of pollinating your introduced cash plants.

If you eradicate your European bees, then you'll also need to start importing all kinds of non-native plants too. And you'll have to stop sucking down Australian fossil waters too. Ultimately, the only really sustainable way for you fucking Europeans to live in Australia is to live the way the natives live there. Eat the plants, bugs and lizards they ate and shitcan the rest.

We have the same issue in the Western U.S.A., we're farming water-thirsty crops and animals that just don't belong here, but they're making is wealthy, so we turn a blind eye.

You seem intent to ignore this reality, to the point that you're responding here about the fiction that I don't want you control feral cats. Yeah, I get that as a limit of Meli's and FKT's sycophantic jingoism, but Ease the Sheet has typically had a better-than-average grasp of the complex.

When I rip climate change deniers a new asshole with functionally-applied science, you cheerfully shut-the-fuck-up and let me work. But now I'm applying the same rigor to this topic, and surprise, FKT, Gisselle, Meli, and now you are responding to me much the same way that the deniers tend to respond ... with diversion, and a crafted and groomed stupidity.

It makes me wonder if the climate change adherents even understand the basic science of atmosphere, or if they're in fact parroting their position in an expression of political mantra without really even knowing anything about the basic mechanisms.

It's way better for people like you to actually think about what they support and understand the inherent compromise, but that may be asking too much.

You really want to get rid of Australian invasive species? Good luck getting rid of your corn, your grains, your cattle, your dingos, and most of your wine industry. Yeah, cats are easy, but European grapes? Every last head of cattle on your diseased continent?

13 hours ago, Bent Sailor said:

Oh no, you out-Googled Mikey... His flailing about looking to change the subject is going to be epic. Hang on, I'll go get some popcorn. 

Yup. As expected. Truly epic. 

LBsERU4.gif

11 hours ago, mikewof said:

You may be slurping up the milky disinformation that FKT and Giselle are putting out for you. The point I keep returning is that sometime's pet, properly collared, is not harmful to those native species, and the desire to kill someone's pet in the name of ecosystem is just thinly-veiled dysfunction.

You are a fucking idiot. It has been demonstrated time and time again that pet cats *are* harmful to native species. It is also demonstrated that a cat reverts to feral pretty much instantly if circumstances require. They are very efficient predators.

The fact that you keep denying this is a sign of your utterly wilful refusal to face these facts.

The other one that you persistently fail to address is the requirement for pet owners TO KEEP THEIR PETS CONFINED TO THEIR OWN PROPERTIES. If they actually did that, none of the rest would be necessary. But they don't and people like you don't support it either.

Our law is quite clear. Pets cannot be allowed to run free. If they are doing so and are endangering other animals then they may legally be destroyed. Dog or cat, it doesn't matter, they are not allowed to run free and kill at will.

https://dpipwe.tas.gov.au/invasive-species/cat-management-in-tasmania

Note this bit:

"The Act also introduces powers to trap, seize or destroy stray and feral cats in certain circumstances and gives land owners and managers the statutory power to control cats found on their land."

Note the "stray and feral" clause. I have full legal backing to shoot or trap stray cats. Suck it up.

And BTW - how's that quote about where I said I shot collared pets going? Found it yet? Of course you haven't because I never said any such thing.

This cat fight reminds me of the thread where LB15 owned RKoch over a 'safe water buoy'. RKoch couldn't just admit he was wrong or drop it either, just like you can't. It didn't end well for him - eventually he had to quit out of sheer embarrassment - and this isn't going well for you.

FKT

11 hours ago, mikewof said:

Two things ...

I've no issue with anyone wanting to control invasive species. You may be slurping up the milky disinformation that FKT and Giselle are putting out for you. The point I keep returning is that sometime's pet, properly collared, is not harmful to those native species, and the desire to kill someone's pet in the name of ecosystem is just thinly-veiled dysfunction.

In fact, you responded to a question to FinnFish, who -- as any normal person -- seems to prefer NOT to shoot his neighbor's pets. And yet, inexplicably, you aren't being wetting your pigtails crying to him about that the way you are to me.

Second, it's one thing to complain about the obvious invasive species, but then you get to European Honey Bees, and it seems your carefully-constructed paradigm again falls apart. If industry developed a 100% effective way to exterminate that honey bee, I assume that most any educated agricultural consumer would then willingly shove it up their ass before actually using it, because that particular introduced species has made you and your country rather wealthy and the native species of pollinators are less capable of pollinating your introduced cash plants.

If you eradicate your European bees, then you'll also need to start importing all kinds of non-native plants too. And you'll have to stop sucking down Australian fossil waters too. Ultimately, the only really sustainable way for you fucking Europeans to live in Australia is to live the way the natives live there. Eat the plants, bugs and lizards they ate and shitcan the rest.

We have the same issue in the Western U.S.A., we're farming water-thirsty crops and animals that just don't belong here, but they're making is wealthy, so we turn a blind eye.

You seem intent to ignore this reality, to the point that you're responding here about the fiction that I don't want you control feral cats. Yeah, I get that as a limit of Meli's and FKT's sycophantic jingoism, but Ease the Sheet has typically had a better-than-average grasp of the complex.

When I rip climate change deniers a new asshole with functionally-applied science, you cheerfully shut-the-fuck-up and let me work. But now I'm applying the same rigor to this topic, and surprise, FKT, Gisselle, Meli, and now you are responding to me much the same way that the deniers tend to respond ... with diversion, and a crafted and groomed stupidity.

It makes me wonder if the climate change adherents even understand the basic science of atmosphere, or if they're in fact parroting their position in an expression of political mantra without really even knowing anything about the basic mechanisms.

It's way better for people like you to actually think about what they support and understand the inherent compromise, but that may be asking too much.

You really want to get rid of Australian invasive species? Good luck getting rid of your corn, your grains, your cattle, your dingos, and most of your wine industry. Yeah, cats are easy, but European grapes? Every last head of cattle on your diseased continent?

You should read the posts you attempt to respond to.  Or al least get someone else to read them for you.

Give it up guys. Mikey will never stop. Just keeps on banging the same old drum or pouncing cat like on any small distraction. I actually thought Mike was a reasonably honest player...but he's no better than Dog...and just as disingenuous.

28 minutes ago, Shortforbob said:

Give it up guys. Mikey will never stop. Just keeps on banging the same old drum or pouncing cat like on any small distraction. I actually thought Mike was a reasonably honest player...but he's no better than Dog...and just as disingenuous.

Yeah that's become obvious. Like I said elsewhere, he's trashed whatever credibility he ever had by his responses.

This is getting to the point of cruelty to dumb animals and I would have dropped it already were it not for his attempts to impute all sorts of crap from the fevered depths of his perverted imagination to me. He brought that stuff to the table so I've no compunction on baiting him into looking even more stupid than he's managed so far.

This is the internet - I don't give a damn what he says about me, but actions have consequences. Note that I haven't flung anything like it back either, I just keep sticking him with shit he refuses to address. If he stops posting on this I'll drop it. Otherwise, I've been taking care of one of my GF's ATM after a nasty operation to remove a melanoma and have time to waste. Better send her wishes for a speedy recovery so I bugger off to my boat and get off of the net.......

FKT

Now, this is a particularly interesting paper:

https://www.biorxiv.org/content/biorxiv/early/2018/06/13/346809.full.pdf

In essence it's about machine learning to identify animal species photographed by camera trap arrays in order to ascertain the distribution & abundance of said species.

It's not a huge step to set such things up using choke points and live trapping to auto-trap target species. We used to deploy similar things in Antarctica to get penguins to hop onto a weighbridge and log their weight (tagged animals).

With a bit of effort it might be possible to deploy traps that only target specific pests. That would be something well worth pursuing. Shooting them is bloody inefficient and a lot of the time I catch possums which I have to let go again, thereby removing any chance of catching a cat in the time the possum is in the trap.

A decent level of deployment and there goes Mikey's roaming moggies. No microchip, straight to the needle. If chipped, $250 to ransom the little bastard back.

FKT

51 minutes ago, dreadom said:

Getting back on track: Change the date

Once you realise he's not in his comedy persona :unsure: That's excellent..Yeah..change the date.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, dreadom said:

Getting back on track: Change the date

Australia day? Im happy to keep the date, but it should be renamed.  Aboriginals should have strong imput in the new name.

As for a day to represent Australia   what about federation day? Or the anniversary of the first day of federal parliament?

8 hours ago, Fah Kiew Tu said:

You are a fucking idiot. It has been demonstrated time and time again that pet cats *are* harmful to native species. It is also demonstrated that a cat reverts to feral pretty much instantly if circumstances require. They are very efficient predators.

The fact that you keep denying this is a sign of your utterly wilful refusal to face these facts.

The other one that you persistently fail to address is the requirement for pet owners TO KEEP THEIR PETS CONFINED TO THEIR OWN PROPERTIES. If they actually did that, none of the rest would be necessary. But they don't and people like you don't support it either.

Our law is quite clear. Pets cannot be allowed to run free. If they are doing so and are endangering other animals then they may legally be destroyed. Dog or cat, it doesn't matter, they are not allowed to run free and kill at will.

https://dpipwe.tas.gov.au/invasive-species/cat-management-in-tasmania

Note this bit:

"The Act also introduces powers to trap, seize or destroy stray and feral cats in certain circumstances and gives land owners and managers the statutory power to control cats found on their land."

Note the "stray and feral" clause. I have full legal backing to shoot or trap stray cats. Suck it up.

And BTW - how's that quote about where I said I shot collared pets going? Found it yet? Of course you haven't because I never said any such thing.

This cat fight reminds me of the thread where LB15 owned RKoch over a 'safe water buoy'. RKoch couldn't just admit he was wrong or drop it either, just like you can't. It didn't end well for him - eventually he had to quit out of sheer embarrassment - and this isn't going well for you.

FKT

Yeah, pet cats are harmful, I haven't denied that, but the damage from a well-kept cat is negligible compared to the damage from industry, pollutants, agriculture, introduced crops, cattle, etc.. If you actually accepted a rational position here, you wouldn't need to keep resorting to insults. Cats aren't like dogs, they don't necessarily obey, they just get out, and if they're collared and fed, the impact they make is far easier to prove negligible than you can prove that killing them helps anything. And a pet cat isn't a stray, as far as I know, but the truth seems flexible with you.

You just wrote something about shooting cats, I asked if you would shoot a collared pet, and you still haven't yet claimed that you wouldn't do it.

Keep ignoring the elephant in the room ... you are feigning this ridiculous moral high ground that you need to kill pets to help the ecosystem, and at the same time, you support a broken and crooked economy that does far more damage than some pets that happen to wander into your yard.

If you don't shoot pets, that's great, I have no issue, let it go at that.

34 minutes ago, Ease the sheet. said:

Australia day? Im happy to keep the date, but it should be renamed.  Aboriginals should have strong imput in the new name.

As for a day to represent Australia   what about federation day? Or the anniversary of the first day of federal parliament?

Celebrating this fabulous nation on the anniversary of the invasion shows no respect.

4 minutes ago, mikewof said:

Yeah, pet cats are harmful, I haven't denied that, but the damage from a well-kept cat is negligible compared to the damage from industry, pollutants, agriculture, introduced crops, cattle, etc.. If you actually accepted a rational position here, you wouldn't need to keep resorting to insults. Cats aren't like dogs, they don't necessarily obey, they just get out, and if they're collared and fed, the impact they make is far easier to prove negligible than you can prove that killing them helps anything. And a pet cat isn't a stray, as far as I know, but the truth seems flexible with you.

You just wrote something about shooting cats, I asked if you would shoot a collared pet, and you still haven't yet claimed that you wouldn't do it.

Keep ignoring the elephant in the room ... you are feigning this ridiculous moral high ground that you need to kill pets to help the ecosystem, and at the same time, you support a broken and crooked economy that does far more damage than some pets that happen to wander into your yard. Unless of course, you're willing to eventually admit that you don't in fact shoot your neighbor's pets. But as it stands, you wrote that you kill any and all animals that come into your yard.

Keep up Mikey, we've all moved on.

8 hours ago, Shortforbob said:

You know what would be amusing, in a karmic sense with you?

Picture this ... you're in your golden years, your kids are generally too busy to hang out with their doddering old ma, and yet you've found some happiness in the simple things in your life; volunteering at your library, a few nice meals now and then as you work to stretch your retirement to last you your remaining years. And you find joy and happiness in a little pet cat or dog of some kind, just giving the little fellow a scratch under the chin, or a pat on the head keeps you this side of sane, you love that little animal.

And you protect it, like a child, because older people tend to do that with their pets.

One morning, you pour yourself a cup of that nasty tea you tend to guzzle like a punch-drunk vicar, and your precious little pet runs out the door when you open it to take a delivery of your audiobooks. It runs straight away into the neighbor's yard, and then BLAMMO! An effective projectile splits the skull open of your precious little dumb friend, it explodes that little head like a ripe melon. You look up to the see the greasy, toothless smile of a "feral eradication expert."

Oh well, sucks to be you, spend the rest of your days in abject loneliness, thinking of the splattered brains of your ridiculous little pet, as you gnaw on the drumstick of some diseased chicken.

Enjoy!

2 minutes ago, dreadom said:

Keep up Mikey, we've all moved on.

And yet, for some reason, Meli and FKT keep posting.

Are they the twisted corner of your great land's gene pool?

No problem with changing the day or changing the name. As little as it affects me personally, I get why it is excluding the indigenous from being included, and so moving the date even a single day helps that inclusivity. 

That and I'm kind of sick how the day keeps getting politicised for dog-whistling racism/xenophobia. The whole "you have to hold citizenship ceremonies" crap falls into that basket. 

14 minutes ago, mikewof said:

And yet, for some reason, Meli and FKT keep posting.

Not since we moved onto Australia Day they haven't. Give it up. As usual, the more you protest, the worse off you end up. 

1 hour ago, mikewof said:

You know what would be amusing, in a karmic sense with you?

Picture this ... you're in your golden years, your kids are generally too busy to hang out with their doddering old ma, and yet you've found some happiness in the simple things in your life; volunteering at your library, a few nice meals now and then as you work to stretch your retirement to last you your remaining years. And you find joy and happiness in a little pet cat or dog of some kind, just giving the little fellow a scratch under the chin, or a pat on the head keeps you this side of sane, you love that little animal.

And you protect it, like a child, because older people tend to do that with their pets.

One morning, you pour yourself a cup of that nasty tea you tend to guzzle like a punch-drunk vicar, and your precious little pet runs out the door when you open it to take a delivery of your audiobooks. It runs straight away into the neighbor's yard, and then BLAMMO! An effective projectile splits the skull open of your precious little dumb friend, it explodes that little head like a ripe melon. You look up to the see the greasy, toothless smile of a "feral eradication expert."

Oh well, sucks to be you, spend the rest of your days in abject loneliness, thinking of the splattered brains of your ridiculous little pet, as you gnaw on the drumstick of some diseased chicken.

Enjoy!

Picture this.

image.jpeg.619e239d792160fbf3b37c9a55d5d1d2.jpeg