Shortforbob

I still call Australia home

2 hours ago, Shortforbob said:

yeah, you're probably right, but if inheritance tax doesn't take our house, the age care facility will.

The whole financial/tax/super/income/public expenditure bitch needs burning down and starting over.

We've known for 20 years that our kids are going to be robbed in one way or another. I'd rather the gov robs (boomers and gen X) us first and fixes things so our kids will at least have the same opportunities that my generation had. I worry about them.

If you've taught them to be humble, to love learning and to be resilient, your worrying will be for nought. Sometimes I wonder if their individual success is due to me or despite me....

RIP Tim. One of the parties and the country’s greatest leaders. 

8 hours ago, random said:

If only that lightweight token Headscarf wearing darling of the left had the stones to have done this when she took office, the Christchurch massacre would never have happened. 

On 8/21/2019 at 2:13 AM, Shortforbob said:

yeah, you're probably right, but if inheritance tax doesn't take our house, the age care facility will.

The whole financial/tax/super/income/public expenditure bitch needs burning down and starting over.

We've known for 20 years that our kids are going to be robbed in one way or another. I'd rather the gov robs (boomers and gen X) us first and fixes things so our kids will at least have the same opportunities that my generation had. I worry about them.

Still using UK law and premise then!!  

Get a lawyer and draw the paperwork-trust fund up ASAP. 

38 minutes ago, LB 15 said:

If only that lightweight token Headscarf wearing darling of the left had the stones to have done this when she took office, the Christchurch massacre would never have happened. 

Debatable at best, he’d have done it one way or another. L

And that buyback isn’t working out that well either. 

Maybe better border control? 

46 minutes ago, LB 15 said:

You mean like Howard and Fisher did before the Port Arthur massacre?

16 minutes ago, mad said:

Still using UK law and premise then!!  

Get a lawyer and draw the paperwork-trust fund up ASAP. 

I've willed my house to them. with the provision to turn it into two separate flats. My Super money to be used for the conversion.

That way they'll always have a roof over their heads or a rental income stream. Executor to administer funds until they are both 35.

I'll just take a green pill as soon as I start putting socks in the dishwasher and shopping in my pajamas....if I can remember where i put it. 

Yes, congratulations, Australia. I am delighted that you won with the professional assistance of the U.S. National Basketball Association, where fully six of your team members gained their experience and another four gained experience in American College basketball. We wish you many more championships,

No one cares.  How hard can it be to get a ball in a net when when you are that tall?

A sport for everyone!

• Like 3

On 8/23/2019 at 7:44 AM, mad said:

Debatable at best, he’d have done it one way or another. L

And that buyback isn’t working out that well either. 

Maybe better border control? 

Our buy back has worked out ok. No more mass shootings. Which was kind of the outcome the government was looking for.

On 8/23/2019 at 7:54 AM, Sidecar said:

You mean like Howard and Fisher did before the Port Arthur massacre?

Was not a problem until Port Arthur. Then the Howard Government did what no labor government could. One would have thought the Kiwi Government could have looked across the ditch and at their own ludicrous gun laws and done something. You know what she did after Christchurch? Her job. What she is paid to do.  But because she wore a headscarf (that great Islamic symbol of female oppression) she becomes the pin up girl for the purse clutching, tokenism loving left. At least we won’t have to worry about a labor government here in Oz for at least a decade. 

2 hours ago, random said:

No one cares.  How hard can it be to get a ball in a net when when you are that tall?

A sport for everyone!

Yes nothing duller than watching multi millionaires run up and down a court. Basketball is even more boring to watch than tennis.

• Like 1

On 8/23/2019 at 8:31 AM, Ease the sheet. said:

It's a nice headline.

And totally unproveable.

WTF? A gun lovin leftist? You will be kicked out of the snowflake club for voicing those opinions petal.

10 minutes ago, LB 15 said:

Our buy back has worked out ok. No more mass shootings. Which was kind of the outcome the government was looking for.

Hopefully theirs will work as well, For both sides. 

21 minutes ago, LB 15 said:

Was not a problem until Port Arthur. Then the Howard Government did what no labor government could. One would have thought the Kiwi Government could have looked across the ditch and at their own ludicrous gun laws and done something. You know what she did after Christchurch? Her job. What she is paid to do.  But because she wore a headscarf (that great Islamic symbol of female oppression) she becomes the pin up girl for the purse clutching, tokenism loving left. At least we won’t have to worry about a labor government here in Oz for at least a decade. 

You could say the same about every NZ prime minister since Port Arthur............ It takes a massacre to overcome the “it won’t happen here because we are sensible gun owners” mentality. It took an Australian to prove them wrong.

• Like 1

And once again..women unite across party lines.

https://www.abc.net.au/news/2019-08-25/gladys-berejiklian-asked-on-air-if-shed-have-an-abortion-not-ok/11446156

Labor frontbencher Tanya Plibersek has come to the defence of Gladys Berejiklian after the Liberal Premier was asked live on-air by 2GB radio host Ben Fordham if she would personally have an abortion.

Ms Plibersek told The Sun-Herald and Sunday Age that it was "absolutely not OK to ask someone this on live radio".

The point the Premier quite rightly made is that any personal decision she might make should not be imposed on others. She handled this gracefully."

https://www.smh.com.au/politics/federal/labor-s-plibersek-says-it-s-absolutely-not-ok-to-ask-liberal-premier-berejiklian-on-air-if-she-d-have-an-abortion-20190824-p52kdn.html

onya Tanya :)

What an arsehole.

It was crude of Fordo, agreed, but no one is listening to anything anyone from Labor has to say... Tanya who?

Gladys Bbqchicken can hold her own, she's a winner at least.

An example of ignorance.

The whole point of changing the law is to make it a personal choice. Those that argue against abortion don't have to have one. Simple.

What one individual does is no business to any other individual.

7 minutes ago, Ease the sheet. said:

The whole point of changing the law is to make it a personal choice.

Amazing isn't it?  Same people who prevent women from having abortions, want everyone to be able to choose to buy a gun, which can be used to kill many people.

Ignorant lying cunts.

Couldn't agree more Ease.

What I find bizarre is the debate has been almost exclusively between old men... And gay old men to boot!

I was faced with the "choice" with a girlfriend when I was much younger, I was clear with her that it was her choice, and I'd100% support any decision she made. We were young, not that strong a couple & only together a few weeks, she chose to terminate.

That's a good description!

It's a toss up isn't it, between basketball, baseball and American football which is the most boring. But they go mad for the shit.

5 hours ago, charisma94 said:

It was crude of Fordo, agreed, but no one is listening to anything anyone from Labor has to say... Tanya who?

Gladys Bbqchicken can hold her own, she's a winner at least.

You miss the point. It's not a Lib/Lab debate.

Fordham was trying to bully and she stood her ground and women applaud.

1 hour ago, random said:

Amazing isn't it?  Same people who prevent women from having abortions, want everyone to be able to choose to buy a gun, which can be used to kill many people.

Ignorant lying cunts.

Do they? I didn't know our anti abortion ding dongs were pressuring a ref for gun rights...amazing.:rolleyes:

I suppose where I was coming from is Tanya's profile. Politics aside, no one knows who she is really, a number 2 in a shadow government. Maybe we know about her husband as a bit of a chuckle. So an article with her opinion tends to wash over.

But on this point, I agree with her completely.

15 minutes ago, charisma94 said:

I suppose where I was coming from is Tanya's profile. Politics aside, no one knows who she is really, a number 2 in a shadow government. Maybe we know about her husband as a bit of a chuckle. So an article with her opinion tends to wash over.

But this point I agree with her completely.

Trust a conservative bloke to dismiss a female cabinat ministers for 9 years who become MP's at 28 and been Deputy leader for 5 and hold their seat for 21 years.

Bit like Julie B really...But I'd never be so rude as to say...Julie who?

Remember her? the woman that Should be our PM right now if the libs wern't such a boys club. 

My point exactly. 21 years not much to show for it. Go ahead, Google some accomplishments if you have to, but straight out of your head, no Google, what's her story?

I can name plenty of things that old stick figure JB has done, unfortunately. Such a pill.

I know we're not talking Lib/Lab, but just at the moment in NSW, we here very little from Labor, state or federal...

2 minutes ago, charisma94 said:

My point exactly. 21 years not much to show for it. Go ahead, Google some accomplishments if you have to, but straight out of your head, no Google, what's her story?

I can name plenty of things that old stick figure JB has done, unfortunately. Such a pill.

I know we're not talking Lib/Lab, but just at the moment in NSW, we here very little from Labor, state or federal...

She only got to do girly things like domestic violence and housing so you probably wouldn't notice.

RU486 springs to mind, another instance of her uniting women across the floor.

Nope.& that's a fairly sexist comment too. But I'm unaware of any of those. She needs a better Press Secretary perhaps?

Absolutely, domestic violence & housing are very significant issues. If she's an advocate for those issues, she's a good'n. Just no one listens to Tanya. Not because of her gender, because she's a lightweight. (Or needs a better Press Secretary.) Dunno...

On 8/25/2019 at 8:52 AM, Sidecar said:

You could say the same about every NZ prime minister since Port Arthur............ It takes a massacre to overcome the “it won’t happen here because we are sensible gun owners” mentality. It took an Australian to prove them wrong.

Yep. Totally agree.

18 hours ago, charisma94 said:

Nope.& that's a fairly sexist comment too. But I'm unaware of any of those. She needs a better Press Secretary perhaps?

Absolutely, domestic violence & housing are very significant issues. If she's an advocate for those issues, she's a good'n. Just no one listens to Tanya. Not because of her gender, because she's a lightweight. (Or needs a better Press Secretary.) Dunno...

I should have used purple.

Perhaps she just liked to quietly do her job and go home to her kids after a week in the madhouse.

• Like 1

23 hours ago, charisma94 said:

Last time I saw her, I was following her down the corridor towards  the House of Reps, while the bells were ringing.  About 18 months ago.  I remember thinking... she's no lightweight.  Then I stopped and had a brief chat with a real lightweight.  Bill Shorten.

Be interesting to see how Morrison negotiates with Trump.

He's being pressured to toe Trumps line on Iran sanctions..which we officially disagree with..AND keep Trump happy re china tarrifs without upsetting China.

This will be his first test as PM when he visits Washington next month.

Scott Morrison has lent support to US President Donald Trump over the escalating trade war with China claiming that the US had “legitimate issues” but said it needed to be resolved quickly with collateral damage threatening to hurt the Australian and other third party economies.

The Prime Minister confirmed he had raised the issue during a 20-minute meeting with President Trump and US officials on the sidelines of the G7 summit in Biarritz France, after which President Trump humorously described Mr Morrison as “the King of Australia”.

“We have had a good discussion about the US/China trade exchanges … what I’d simply say is that the US has raised a number of issues for some time now with China and China has raised some matters. It’s up to those two countries to sort it out and come to an agreement,” Mr Morrison told reporters.

https://www.theaustralian.com.au/nation/politics/scott-morrison-meets-donald-trump-at-g7-urges-us-to-resolve-trade-war-with-china/news-story/23234d4b71d2be51ee60bb4f57b45cbf

"The Prime Minister wants to make sure that the President doesn't talk about him being part of a campaign of maximum pressure against Iran, which Australia doesn't support." 
Uhlmann said Mr Morrison sees the mission in the Persian Gulf as "a freedom of navigation exercise". 

I'm not hopeful that Morrison will negotiate much in our favour with Trump. Another lightweight.

Our track record of following the US everywhere & anywhere hasn't ever been to our advantage. Against both China and the USA, keeping them both happy, he's got his work cut out.

He was front and centre in that G7 photo. Right behind Trump. And then when the photo op split up he looked very much the outsider that he is/we are. Although he did get a moment by Melania's side before moving off possibly because she was wondering "Who the hell is this guy?"

4 hours ago, DtM said:

He's coming over for dinner next month !!!

More like he's on the menu for dinner next month.

12 hours ago, charisma94 said:

I'm not hopeful that Morrison will negotiate much in our favour with Trump. Another lightweight.

Our track record of following the US everywhere & anywhere hasn't ever been to our advantage. Against both China and the USA, keeping them both happy, he's got his work cut out.

Julie B would have sorted Trump...such a nasty woman :D

Here is our leader in church.  We too are fucked, truly fucked.

Do you think he is praying for the pacific Islanders or the coal companies?

11035578-3x2-700x467.jpg

1 hour ago, random said:

Here is our leader in church.  We too are fucked, truly fucked.

Do you think he is praying for the pacific Islanders or the coal companies?

11035578-3x2-700x467.jpg

Has Morrison ever tried to use his position to mix church and state?

1 minute ago, Shortforbob said:

Has Morrison ever tried to use his position to mix church and state?

For better or worse, he's our PM at the moment. When/if he behaves like Trump or sells us to the highest bidder..we will remove him. easy peasy here. :D

Yes he is like Trump.  He is a climate change denier.

There has been a clash between the church and science for the last 500 years.  He is selling us and the Pacific Islanders out, while praying to pretend friends in the sky on Sundays.

12 minutes ago, random said:

Yes he is like Trump.  He is a climate change denier.

There has been a clash between the church and science for the last 500 years.  He is selling us and the Pacific Islanders out, while praying to pretend friends in the sky on Sundays.

cite?

I'm no fan of Morrison but we have had atheist PM's...do you really want to go down America's route?

Leave his religion out of it..in the time honoured aussie tradition. As long as he keeps it behind closed doors. 

3 minutes ago, Shortforbob said:

Leave his religion out of it..in the time honoured aussie tradition. As long as he keeps it behind closed doors. 

But he does not.  He makes sure everyone knows, allows the cameras into his church to make sure.  I am convinced it made a significant contribution to his win.

"But Scott we really need to make a call on this now, what are we going to do?"

"Let us pray ... "

2 minutes ago, random said:

But he does not.  He makes sure everyone knows, allows the cameras into his church to make sure.  I am convinced it made a significant contribution to his win.

"But Scott we really need to make a call on this now, what are we going to do?"

"Let us pray ... "

Ahhhh Bullshit.

• Like 1

This is just cruel

https://www.abc.net.au/news/2019-08-30/deportation-of-tamil-asylum-seeker-family-from-biloela-delayed/11464308

On a plane, off a plane, separate kids, surround by 20 border force agents. Midnight flights, whisked away in vans

They've been here legally for years, good members of the community, two kids born here. Visa expires and off to detention they go..kids are 4 and 2.

Whats the purpose of all the drama?

I'm ashamed.

She should have been an au pair.

12 minutes ago, Shortforbob said:

This is just cruel

https://www.abc.net.au/news/2019-08-30/deportation-of-tamil-asylum-seeker-family-from-biloela-delayed/11464308

On a plane, off a plane, separate kids, surround by 20 border force agents. Midnight flights, whisked away in vans

They've been here legally for years, good members of the community, two kids born here. Visa expires and off to detention they go..kids are 4 and 2.

Whats the purpose of all the drama?

I'm ashamed.

She should have been an au pair.

Aussie taking a page out of Trumps immigration knee jerk logic?

20 minutes ago, Navig8tor said:

Aussie taking a page out of Trumps immigration knee jerk logic?

Not exactly, we've been treating some of  those that seek asylum here badly for years. Boat arrivals.

This family failed to be assessed as refugee's and from what I've read, not necessarily unreasonably so.

It's the bureaucratic  bullshit with two little kiddies being terrorized/traumatized that's appalling .

We issue bridging visa's, let people settle into the community for years..and then deport them.

The process is too long, interferes with lives for too long and gives people false hope...to my mind there should be a time clause. It we can't make decisions in a timely manner. they stay.

They are Tamil, and have witnessed the murder of their families, they're afraid to go home...it's simply they don't fit "the rules" 

32 minutes ago, Shortforbob said:

Not exactly, we've been treating those that seek asylum here badly for years.

This family failed to be assessed as refugee's and from what I've read, not necessarily unreasonably so.

It's the bureaucratic  bullshit with two little kiddies being terrorized/traumatized that's appalling .

We issue bridging visa's, let people settle into the community for years..and then deport them.

The process is too long, interferes with lives for too long and gives people false hope...to my mind there should be a time clause. It we can't make decisions in a timely manner. they stay.

They are Tamil, and have witnessed the murder of their families, they're afraid to go home...it's simply they don't fit "the rules" 

We are making round holes just fast enough for the square pegs.... not to fit into.

The square pegs come from shithole countries, the round ones represent less cost and better integration into the society whilst forgetting ....diversity makes our lives so rich and interesting.....if we allow it.

• Like 1

6 minutes ago, Navig8tor said:

We are making round holes just fast enough for the square pegs.... not to fit into.

The square pegs come shithole countries, the round ones represent less cost and better integration into the society whilst forgetting ....diversity makes our lives so rich and interesting.....if we allow it.

Perhaps we look at this citizenship thing all wrong. Kick out the (insert word of the day) and let in nice people.

Imagine if we could say hey you lazy  (insert word of the day)

If you don’t want to work here well we’re gonna exchange you for some people that do, and by the way we are exporting you to their country of origin.

I’m thinking this could rapidly turn into a win win situation.:D

3 minutes ago, Navig8tor said:

Imagine if we could say hey you lazy  (insert word of the day)

If you don’t want to play nice here well we’re gonna exchange you for some people that do, and by the way we are exporting you to their country of origin.

I’m thinking this could rapidly turn into a win win situation.:D

You're probably right. Dunno about the work bit.

Just think of the benefits some of those rich (insert word of the day) could bring to (insert shithole country of the week)

A woman in Western Australia has tried to stop her neighbours from using their barbecues by suing them in court.

Perth woman Cilla Carden claimed that their activities - among them barbecuing and smoking -as well as their noisy children, breached residential laws.

She sought legal orders to prevent the alleged nuisances from continuing.

A tribunal, and the state's highest court, rejected her claims as unreasonable and lacking in evidence.

Her list of demands also included orders for a family living next door, and another neighbour, to reduce their patio lighting, silence their pets and to replace plants in the common garden.

https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/world-australia-49560208

She is a vegan.

How do you know someone is a vegan

They will tell you (and often)

Hitler was a vegetarian. Evidently bacon deprivation causes people to become Nazis.

If I was her neighbour I'd invite fifty hard-drinking smokers with at least twenty kids around and roast a whole pig.

35 minutes ago, Happy said:

Hitler was a vegetarian. Evidently bacon deprivation causes people to become Nazis.

If I was her neighbour I'd invite fifty hard-drinking smokers with at least twenty kids around and roast a whole pig.

people are strange. There was a woman that lived a few houses over. wealthy, constantly pissed, used to write nasty letters to my neighbour complaining about the kids in the pool, noise..out door lighting and "some horrible boy hawking his throat."

(the kid had Cerebral palsycough and they were a pretty quiet family)) 

One day I here her crying out for help (she's locked herself out in the 6m square high walled patio) 

I go over, get into the house from the garage and open her back door...the smell nearly knocks me over.

She's got 3 silky terrors in that space and the shit hasn't been cleaned for a week.

It's sad really.

In a similar vein.

https://www.abc.net.au/news/2019-09-04/parents-abused-adopted-daughter-locked-her-in-shipping-container/11478030

W. T. F??

People knew or at least must have had real suspicion that this little girl was being maltreated. Why wern't the police called?

She was seen by neighbours sometimes sitting alone in bushes, standing in the rain for hours or running laps of a paddock, and was made to wash in a bucket outside and to do what was described as "tough" physical work, such as weeding.

The court heard on the girl's first day at a new school, the adoptive mother told her teacher she would cause trouble and try to undermine him — a comment she repeated to the principal.

But in their evidence to the trial, the teacher and the principal described the child as "happy, cheerful, bright and wanting to improve", and said towards the end of each day she would become anxious.

The girl would repeatedly attend school smelling of urine and on occasions the principal would have to change her clothing.

The mother claimed the child had wet herself on purpose and said she was being made to wear her wet underwear as punishment.

Fuck, I despair of people. :(

On 8/30/2019 at 4:20 PM, Shortforbob said:

Not exactly, we've been treating some of  those that seek asylum here badly for years. Boat arrivals.

Oh, you forgot to mention the claims that it was unsafe for him to remain in Sri Lanka.... followed by numerous trips back there.  Oops.

• Downvote 1

15 minutes ago, MikeHunt said:

Oh, you forgot to mention the claims that it was unsafe for him to remain in Sri Lanka.... followed by numerous trips back there.  Oops.

There are SOME rules in here, Stalking is one of them. I believe you got slapped down by the admin under your other persona " My name is lesion or fill you boots or whatever.. so crawl back under your bar and play with the cockroaches.

(and no, this isn't Grumpy, just some loser that's been stalking me across 3 forums for about 8 years. Calls himself "Thebigfella" what a joke)

13 hours ago, Shortforbob said:

There are SOME rules in here, Stalking is one of them. I believe you got slapped down by the admin under your other persona " My name is lesion or fill you boots or whatever.. so crawl back under your bar and play with the cockroaches.

(and no, this isn't Grumpy, just some loser that's been stalking me across 3 forums for about 8 years. Calls himself "Thebigfella" what a joke)

Was that the fat, old, sweaty, full of himself expat type that used to post pictures of Philipina bar girls? And shitty motorbikes? Now THAT bloke was a tosser...

Well, i didn't know vegans were allowed in Australia ?

My life experience tells me to hand the BBQ tools to the Australian at the party, anytime a BBQ is fired up..... 

Just stand back and watch the magic...:) and keep cold beers coming.

2 hours ago, charisma94 said:

Was that the fat, old, sweaty, full of himself expat type that used to post pictures of Philipina bar girls? And shitty motorbikes? Now THAT bloke was a tosser...

yeah thats him

17 minutes ago, Keith said:

Well, i didn't know vegans were allowed in Australia ?

My life experience tells me to hand the BBQ tools to the Australian at the party, anytime a BBQ is fired up..... 

Just stand back and watch the magic magpie...:) and keep cold beers coming.

ftfy

Mandatory drug testing for welfare recipients...and MPs

Thoughts?

I'd like to know what the point is.

Is it to address issues around continued joblessness?

Public health and safety?

Stop people spending our hard earned taxes on drugs?

What?

https://www.theguardian.com/australia-news/2019/sep/06/law-to-drug-test-welfare-recipients-to-be-reintroduced-to-parliament

Welfare recipients who test positive for drugs will be placed on income management under draft laws to go to federal parliament next week.

A previous bill stalled in the Senate amid concerns about unfairness, and lapsed at the end of the last parliament.

If passed, a two-year drug testing trial will be rolled out in three locations – Logan in Queensland, Canterbury-Bankstown in New South Wales and Mandurah in Western Australia.

About 5,000 new recipients of Newstart and the youth allowance will be tested for ice, ecstasy, marijuana, cocaine and heroin.

https://www.abc.net.au/news/2019-09-06/welfare-recipients-drug-testing-new-bill/11483512?section=politics 

Personally, I think it's outrageous.

Who do they think to target. Random kids like mine?

Those who are seeking work with heavy machinery?.

.In that case it would be better just to target random pilots or bus drivers...or those that operate mining equipment.

As of 2016, there were 250,000 students and apprentices on youth allowance ...are we testing them?

Then there's another 700,000 on Newstart...are we testing all of them?

If the aim is to prevent welfair recipiants spending our money on drugs...maybe test the OAP's..think of all those now 70 something hippies spending our money on EEEK...Dope.

If it's to actually help people  with addictions that eat up our money..

Then it's not particularly cost effective is it?

randomly sample 100 people..get one or two or five?.casual user or addict?

ASK people if they want help? 100%

.Hmmm can you test for gambling addictions? How about those Mums on parenting payments..follow their shopping habits online.

Or

Maybe this is simply to demonize students and the unemployed...again. 

2 hours ago, Shortforbob said:

Mandatory drug testing for welfare recipients...and MPs

Thoughts?

I'd like to know what the point is.

Is it to address issues around continued joblessness?

Public health and safety?

Stop people spending our hard earned taxes on drugs?

What?

https://www.theguardian.com/australia-news/2019/sep/06/law-to-drug-test-welfare-recipients-to-be-reintroduced-to-parliament

Welfare recipients who test positive for drugs will be placed on income management under draft laws to go to federal parliament next week.

A previous bill stalled in the Senate amid concerns about unfairness, and lapsed at the end of the last parliament.

If passed, a two-year drug testing trial will be rolled out in three locations – Logan in Queensland, Canterbury-Bankstown in New South Wales and Mandurah in Western Australia.

About 5,000 new recipients of Newstart and the youth allowance will be tested for ice, ecstasy, marijuana, cocaine and heroin.

https://www.abc.net.au/news/2019-09-06/welfare-recipients-drug-testing-new-bill/11483512?section=politics 

Personally, I think it's outrageous.

Who do they think to target. Random kids like mine?

Those who are seeking work with heavy machinery?.

.In that case it would be better just to target random pilots or bus drivers...or those that operate mining equipment.

As of 2016, there were 250,000 students and apprentices on youth allowance ...are we testing them?

Then there's another 700,000 on Newstart...are we testing all of them?

If the aim is to prevent welfair recipiants spending our money on drugs...maybe test the OAP's..think of all those now 70 something hippies spending our money on EEEK...Dope.

If it's to actually help people  with addictions that eat up our money..

Then it's not particularly cost effective is it?

randomly sample 100 people..get one or two or five?.casual user or addict?

ASK people if they want help? 100%

.Hmmm can you test for gambling addictions? How about those Mums on parenting payments..follow their shopping habits online.

Or

Maybe this is simply to demonize students and the unemployed...again. 

I'm ok with it.

I would like to see it extended to cigarettes and alcohol.

1 hour ago, Ease the sheet. said:

I'm ok with it.

I would like to see it extended to cigarettes and alcohol.

Perhaps we should just hand out food stamps and ensure money is not wasted on Tim Tams. Or better still take 80% of their $145 per week (youth allowance) and buy them tram tickets and a decent suit, hair cut and a food parcel with 4 eggs, a kilo of flour and and 200g of tea.

"We’re on the susso now,
We can’t afford a cow,
We live in a tent,
We pay no rent,
We’re on the susso now."

You think those on income support are somehow lesser beings ..second class citizens as it were who only live by others largess? They have fewer rights to determine how their dole is spent than those that had the fortune to work?

You surprise me. 

But you're getting ahead of things. We're talking about the mandatory drug testing of a million people who's only difference between you and I is that they are students or unemployed. 

Meh, I doubt it'll pass the Senate.

I always quote the Portuguese model where drugs are seen as a medical problem (not criminal) and dealt with compassionately and accordingly. Not to mention ALL class A drugs  are more or less freely available, with some conditions, consequently, drug use and addiction rates have plummeted. Might be worth a try at least?

All we can think of doing in puritanical Australia is persecute, criminalize and label people while wagging fingers at those who need a hand. I'd only agree to this if Politicians were subject to the same regime...

1 hour ago, Shortforbob said:

Perhaps we should just hand out food stamps and ensure money is not wasted on Tim Tams. Or better still take 80% of their $145 per week (youth allowance) and buy them tram tickets and a decent suit, hair cut and a food parcel with 4 eggs, a kilo of flour and and 200g of tea.

"We’re on the susso now,
We can’t afford a cow,
We live in a tent,
We pay no rent,
We’re on the susso now."

You think those on income support are somehow lesser beings ..second class citizens as it were who only live by others largess? They have fewer rights to determine how their dole is spent than those that had the fortune to work?

You surprise me. 

But you're getting ahead of things. We're talking about the mandatory drug testing of a million people who's only difference between you and I is that they are students or unemployed. 

I just expect those getting help from society don't abuse that help.

And that especially includes illegal behaviour.

File it under "respect" if you must.....

4 minutes ago, Ease the sheet. said:

I just expect those getting help from society don't abuse that help.

And that especially includes illegal behaviour.

File it under "respect" if you must.....

OK,

But what's your opinion of the mandatory testing. 5000 newly on Newstart and Youth allowance in three area to be tested as a trial.

A few years back somebody ran a series of tests analysing the drug traces in sewage in various cities.

Australia's highest cocaine consumption was in Canberra.

10 minutes ago, Shortforbob said:

OK,

But what's your opinion of the mandatory testing. 5000 newly on Newstart and Youth allowance in three area to be tested as a trial.

I'm ok with it.

See post #4224.

Especially after you've walked it back from a million people to 5000.....

3 minutes ago, Happy said:

A few years back somebody ran a series of tests analysing the drug traces in sewage in various cities.

Australia's highest cocaine consumption was in Canberra.

It's difficult to stay awake during question time....

5 minutes ago, Ease the sheet. said:

I'm ok with it.

See post #4224.

Especially after you've walked it back from a million people to 5000.....

No I haven't

the proposal is to trial this on 5000 new beneficiaries...after that??? one assumes by trial...it's a test sample. There's a million waiting for the results.

I assume you're OK with mandatory drug testing in all workplaces too? There's nothing more to discuss. 

A very ill-conceived idea. Without drugs, the lowest strata of society will wake up to how fucked their life is, drink a lot more and start causing trouble in the streets and looting shops and houses in nice neighbourhoods.

For a stable society, they should probably add a half-ounce of weed to every fortnightly payment. Keep 'em quiet with the munchies.

• Like 2

23 minutes ago, Shortforbob said:

I assume you're OK with mandatory drug testing in all workplaces too? There's nothing more to discuss. 

Drug testing in the workplace makes more sense than testing the unemployed. My employer pays for me to be vaguely useful, but way back when I was on lil johhny's surfing team, all I needed to study was a little horticulture and microbiology.

I still don't understand why the CES didn't fund my desired education path of becoming a master sommellier 

3 minutes ago, Se7en said:

Drug testing in the workplace makes more sense than testing the unemployed. My employer pays for me to be vaguely useful,

Well yes and no.

How long does the THC stay in you're system after the high has worn off from the night before?

I get the respect argument, it's probably the strongest one...

Let's be fair, I bet there's the vast majority who get benefits and don't take drugs, but there are pockets. So it doesn't effect the good'ns to wee in a bottle, really. Save the humiliation caused by the elderly, overly modest & infirm.

But for the others, I can't work out what testing will actually achieve. IF people want drugs they're going to find them. Government hand outs aren't enough to support a proper drug habit. Anyone that I know, and I know a few,  that have a proper habit and are on the govt. teat, ALL have side hustles to well which truly add to their govt. income, they're either actually working, stealing or selling drugs. take away their $145/week, a good user wouldn't even notice. He'll just steal more of your stuff and bash your granny.

SO is it to save our taxes? The cost of monitoring this regime, managing the outcomes etc.. The gov't departments & public service lot tasked with overseeing such a regime would absolutely blow out financially, far beyond the few people they catch.

Is there any merit to a debit card system for welfare? No drug testing, but everyone on a debit card which includes smokes & alcohol, as they're still legal. We're moving to cashless anyway... The non user genuine ones prolly wouldn't care, the users won't either for reasons noted above.

Dunno. But demonizing all welfare recipients is a step too far in my book.

16 minutes ago, Happy said:

A very ill-conceived idea. Without drugs, the lowest strata of society will wake up to how fucked their life is, drink a lot more and start causing trouble in the streets and looting shops and houses in nice neighbourhoods.

For a stable society, they should probably add a half-ounce of weed to every fortnightly payment. Keep 'em quiet with the munchies.

Not Gin then :D

image.jpeg.af838b905393ebf57e54a8f696403b87.jpeg

1 minute ago, charisma94 said:

I get the respect argument, it's probably the strongest one...

Let's be fair, I bet there's the vast majority who get benefits and don't take drugs, but there are pockets. So it doesn't effect the good'ns to wee in a bottle, really. Save the humiliation caused by the elderly, overly modest & infirm.

But for the others, I can't work out what testing will actually achieve. IF people want drugs they're going to find them. Government hand outs aren't enough to support a proper drug habit. Anyone that I know, and I know a few,  that have a proper habit and are on the govt. teat, ALL have side hustles to well which truly add to their govt. income, they're either actually working, stealing or selling drugs. take away their $145/week, a good user wouldn't even notice. He'll just steal more of your stuff and bash your granny.

SO is it to save our taxes? The cost of monitoring this regime, managing the outcomes etc.. The gov't departments & public service lot tasked with overseeing such a regime would absolutely blow out financially, far beyond the few people they catch.

Is there any merit to a debit card system for welfare? No drug testing, but everyone on a debit card which includes smokes & alcohol, as they're still legal. We're moving to cashless anyway... The non user genuine ones prolly wouldn't care, the users won't either for reasons noted above.

Dunno. But demonizing all welfare recipients is a step too far in my book.

Perzactly..The problem I have with a cash card is the limitations that are imposed on where one can spend it..and the announcement to the world at large that you're paying with a gov card. 

In the days that I was dependent on centrelink to feed my kids, I enjoyed my choice to food/clothes  shop wisely and spent the savings on things for my kids..like school trips, books and quality toys rather than crap. 

I don't see why the gov has to take the self determination of the many for the profligacy of the few...and dog whistles.. 

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, Shortforbob said:

Well yes and no.

How long does the THC stay in you're system after the high has worn off from the night before?

That's my bug bear about RDT for weed. I would never drive "stoned", or after drinking... But if someone smoked a few bongs on Friday night, got tested on Tuesday and failed, is that fair or reasonable? Being "in your system" isn't impaired, some 4 days later. (But THC hangs around for ages.) According to the govt. measures, they do anyway. And it makes him a criminal. 

Bring out a test for impairment and I'm 100% onboard, no one should drive stoned...

7 minutes ago, charisma94 said:

That's my bug bear about RDT for weed. I would never drive "stoned", or after drinking... But if someone smoked a few bongs on Friday night, got tested on Tuesday and failed, is that fair or reasonable? Being "in your system" isn't impaired, some 4 days later. (But THC hangs around for ages.) According to the govt. measures, they do anyway. And it makes him a criminal. 

Bring out a test for impairment and I'm 100% onboard, no one should drive stoned...

And no one should have a gov record for being drug tested positive when they're not going to a job or driving either.

I'd trust Centrelinks "confidentiality" and "privacy" clauses and capability, and their contractors discretion like I'd trust Boo with a plate of chook.