Shortforbob

I still call Australia home

1 minute ago, charisma94 said:

I get the respect argument, it's probably the strongest one...

Let's be fair, I bet there's the vast majority who get benefits and don't take drugs, but there are pockets. So it doesn't effect the good'ns to wee in a bottle, really. Save the humiliation caused by the elderly, overly modest & infirm.

But for the others, I can't work out what testing will actually achieve. IF people want drugs they're going to find them. Government hand outs aren't enough to support a proper drug habit. Anyone that I know, and I know a few,  that have a proper habit and are on the govt. teat, ALL have side hustles to well which truly add to their govt. income, they're either actually working, stealing or selling drugs. take away their $145/week, a good user wouldn't even notice. He'll just steal more of your stuff and bash your granny.

SO is it to save our taxes? The cost of monitoring this regime, managing the outcomes etc.. The gov't departments & public service lot tasked with overseeing such a regime would absolutely blow out financially, far beyond the few people they catch.

Is there any merit to a debit card system for welfare? No drug testing, but everyone on a debit card which includes smokes & alcohol, as they're still legal. We're moving to cashless anyway... The non user genuine ones prolly wouldn't care, the users won't either for reasons noted above.

Dunno. But demonizing all welfare recipients is a step too far in my book.

Perzactly..The problem I have with a cash card is the limitations that are imposed on where one can spend it..and the announcement to the world at large that you're paying with a gov card. 

In the days that I was dependent on centrelink to feed my kids, I enjoyed my choice to food/clothes  shop wisely and spent the savings on things for my kids..like school trips, books and quality toys rather than crap. 

I don't see why the gov has to take the self determination of the many for the profligacy of the few...and dog whistles.. 

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, Shortforbob said:

Well yes and no.

How long does the THC stay in you're system after the high has worn off from the night before?

That's my bug bear about RDT for weed. I would never drive "stoned", or after drinking... But if someone smoked a few bongs on Friday night, got tested on Tuesday and failed, is that fair or reasonable? Being "in your system" isn't impaired, some 4 days later. (But THC hangs around for ages.) According to the govt. measures, they do anyway. And it makes him a criminal. 

Bring out a test for impairment and I'm 100% onboard, no one should drive stoned...

7 minutes ago, charisma94 said:

That's my bug bear about RDT for weed. I would never drive "stoned", or after drinking... But if someone smoked a few bongs on Friday night, got tested on Tuesday and failed, is that fair or reasonable? Being "in your system" isn't impaired, some 4 days later. (But THC hangs around for ages.) According to the govt. measures, they do anyway. And it makes him a criminal. 

Bring out a test for impairment and I'm 100% onboard, no one should drive stoned...

And no one should have a gov record for being drug tested positive when they're not going to a job or driving either.

I'd trust Centrelinks "confidentiality" and "privacy" clauses and capability, and their contractors discretion like I'd trust Boo with a plate of chook.

I like how they are not testing for prescription drugs.

Opioid doctors will be stoked.

4 minutes ago, Shortforbob said:

And no one should have a gov record for being drug tested positive when they're not going to a job or driving either.

I'd trust Centrelinks "confidentiality" and "privacy" clauses and capability, and their contractors discretion like I'd trust Boo with a plate of chook.

Bit of a drift, but what's your take then on the new "My health record" gov medical database? Ya think that info would never leak??

4 minutes ago, charisma94 said:

Bit of a drift, but what's your take then on the new "My health record" gov medical database? Ya think that info would never leak??

we all opted out.

I've recently had dealings with "independent" bodies cherry picking my clinic records. Oh boy are they eating humble pie and scrambling for a out now. (Don't mess with an Ex ComCare review officer's medical records) :D

14 minutes ago, Shortforbob said:

we all opted out.

I've recently had dealings with "independent" bodies cherry picking my clinic records. Oh boy are they eating humble pie and scrambling for a out now. (Don't mess with an Ex ComCare review officer's medical records) :D

I suspect you'd be a force to be reckoned with!!

I opted out too. I guarantee the info would be sold "for our benefit" at some point. With appropriate safeguards, of course! Or hacked, then sold.

So, nope.

2 hours ago, Shortforbob said:

No I haven't

the proposal is to trial this on 5000 new beneficiaries...after that??? one assumes by trial...it's a test sample. There's a million waiting for the results.

I assume you're OK with mandatory drug testing in all workplaces too? There's nothing more to discuss. 

I'm more than happy with mandatory drug testing in the workplace.

Do you want to be the one to explain to my daughter that I won't be coming home from work because a drug affected forklift driver ran a tyne through my stomach?

Or that her mother won't becoming home from work because a drug affected worker stabbed her multiple times with a pen?

Break the law, pay the penalty. Why is that so hard?

Rely on society for support. Don't abuse that support.

Waste your chance, don't get another.

• Like 2

56 minutes ago, Ease the sheet. said:

I'm more than happy with mandatory drug testing in the workplace.

Do you want to be the one to explain to my daughter that I won't be coming home from work because a drug affected forklift driver ran a tyne through my stomach?

Or that her mother won't becoming home from work because a drug affected worker stabbed her multiple times with a pen?

Break the law, pay the penalty. Why is that so hard?

Rely on society for support. Don't abuse that support.

Waste your chance, don't get another.

I see your point. But you use the "drug affected" term a few times.

In terms of being on the road, RDT needs to include weed, amphetamines, opioids and every stimulant anti-depressant, steroidal drug at the same time. One in all in. You're impaired, or you're not. But again, not just the presence of, actually impaired. Plenty of clinically impaired drivers/workers on prescribed stimulants that go berko or drive forklifts into stomachs, that are affected, not just the presence of... but actually impaired. "But I've got a prescription", nor do they have to disclose it, I'm not allowed to ask it, and we're not allowed to test for it, at my work. Privacy & all that...

If we're serious, we're being a bit selective about our "drugs".

It'd fix the traffic though...

1 hour ago, charisma94 said:

I see your point. But you use the "drug affected" term a few times.

In terms of being on the road, RDT needs to include weed, amphetamines, opioids and every stimulant anti-depressant, steroidal drug at the same time. One in all in. You're impaired, or you're not. But again, not just the presence of, actually impaired. Plenty of clinically impaired drivers/workers on prescribed stimulants that go berko or drive forklifts into stomachs, that are affected, not just the presence of... but actually impaired. "But I've got a prescription", nor do they have to disclose it, I'm not allowed to ask it, and we're not allowed to test for it, at my work. Privacy & all that...

If we're serious, we're being a bit selective about our "drugs".

It'd fix the traffic though...

I can do one in all in.

As for impairment, no. It's not something that is cut and dried. One person at .1 bac may seem less impaired than someone at .05.

I'm happy with evidence of. And I'm happy with a long list.

With all those fuckwits off the road, the traffic is bound to improve.

One for Mikey-poo.

https://www.smh.com.au/national/jay-walking-when-the-long-arm-of-the-law-becomes-the-strong-arm-20190906-p52omt.html

Just *how* long ago were you in North Sydney and saw all those cops booking people for jay-walking?

Well, *now* it's actually happening. Sometimes. In some places.

Didn't bother me while I was up there a month or so back.

Oh well, carry on. Weather is warming up (slowly) and I'd rather be sailing than working on my myriad projects.

FKT

Greens national integrity bill passes senate.

https://www.theguardian.com/australia-news/2019/sep/09/senate-passes-greens-bill-to-create-federal-icac

A Greens bill to establish a federal anti-corruption commission has passed the Senate with the backing of Labor and the minor parties, piling pressure on the Coalition to support the proposal.

In a tight vote in the Senate on Monday, the Greens were able to secure enough support for the bill to pass after One Nation’s two senators abstained.

The legislation passed 35 votes to 32, with Cory Bernardi siding with the government, and Labor, Centre Alliance and Jacqui Lambie joining the Greens.

Labor, Centre Alliance and independent Jacqui Lambie backed the Greens' private members' bill, which passed 35-32.

“Now the pressure is firmly on the Morrison government to back this bill in the House and do the job properly, or at the very least upgrade their toothless watchdog thought bubble," Greens deputy leader Larissa Waters said.

“Community confidence in political leaders has plummeted following scandals involving both major parties and there is no longer any excuse for running a protection racket for politicians engaged in corruption and dodgy dealings."

https://www.afr.com/politics/federal/greens-win-senate-backing-for-federal-icac-20190909-p52pii

Under the Greens model, five commissioners would be appointed: a national integrity commissioner and an assistant; a law enforcement integrity commissioner and an assistant; and a whistleblowing commissioner.

It would have the power to investigate bureaucrats, ministers and MPs.

But government senators attacked the Greens' proposal as too broad, saying its investigatory body would have the powers of a royal commission.

Liberal senator Amanda Stoker said the Greens should support the government's model rather than engage in cheap shots.

"It's got the potential to get the kind of across-the-aisle support that means it could stand the test of time, rather than becoming the kind of political football that the Australian Greens like so much," she said.

Attorney-General Christian Porter has pledged to create an integrity commissioner, but is yet to release legislation.

The government has found itself under fire over a number of integrity issues, including revelations former ministers Christopher Pyne and Julie Bishop quickly took jobs in the private sector in areas of their knowledge soon after their retirement from parliament, as well as the awarding of the security contract for offshore processing to little-known company Paladin.

NBN scam calls

The NBN have just put my area on.

I've had two calls so far this afternoon telling me I'm being disconnected tonight and please press 1 for a technician who then asks me to log on to my computer.:rolleyes:

I'm very grateful for this reminder service.

Pressing 1 in the UK wiil cause a transfer of call, (cost £3:60), and then a phone bill of £3:60 a minute..

1 hour ago, Shortforbob said:

NBN scam calls

The NBN have just put my area on.

I've had two calls so far this afternoon telling me I'm being disconnected tonight and please press 1 for a technician who then asks me to log on to my computer.:rolleyes:

I'm very grateful for this reminder service.

The last time I got a call like that it was a rainy day and I was bored. I strung them along for quite a while attempting to find the things they wanted me to do - Control Panel then something to bring up a remote desktop IIRC.

In the end the scammer asked what version operating system I had.

I told him it was a Sun Microsystems Solaris operating system on a SPARCStation and I really didn't think there was a Control Panel.

*click*.

BTW I lied. It was a linux o/s. I only have one Windows o/s computer and it's dual boot with no network connection or wifi, just in case I ever really need to run a Windows program. Mostly it runs LinuxCNC. Good luck hacking *that*.

FKT

Yeah, pretty much a standard response...ever since Noah.

But with the NBN actually being rolled out ATM and a lot of people being confused about when their area is going on and what they have to do about it, I can see a lot of people being caught.

I rang my mum and warned her.

Mind you, the scum that called me this afternoon..three times now, well they're pretty amateurish. Robot voice, wait in silence for 30 seconds then a non australian "tech" sounding like he's in an a deserted section of the london underground with 30 others.

I usually just ask them if their Grandma is listening and that he should be ashamed of himself.

12 minutes ago, Ease the sheet. said:

NBN is a wholesaler.  They don't call people.....

I know that, but does grandma?

It did nudge me to call Optus and get connection organised though. :)

completely non political. Does anyone know how to get water based paint off a pair of almost brand new Blunnies? :(

Surely with water and then give them a good polish using a "nourishing creme" (lifts some stains) first and then the usual polish. 

17 minutes ago, DtM said:

Surely with water and then give them a good polish using a "nourishing creme" (lifts some stains) first and then the usual polish. 

when it's been dry for 2 weeks?

Found them under a pile of dust sheets . The only thing I can think of is a razor.

32 minutes ago, charisma94 said:

Seriously, WD-40.

OK, I think I've got some somewhere..will it get it off the ceramic floor tiles too? and the coffee table and the washing machine and the loo lid and... :rolleyes:

Boo taken up a career as a painter has he?

But pretty sure the wd40 will fix his mess.

A question of etiquette.

The Actor Jack Charles was giving a talk at work tonight about his new book.

The (white) organiser from Penguin,   introduced him to me as Uncle Jack..I feel somewhat uncomfortable addressing someone I don't know as "uncle" 

My culture taught me to address older men as Mr.

I know this is a standard address and mark of respect for aboriginal elders, but it sounds sort of patronising and fake for white people to use it.. Unless invited by the person to do so.. Thoughts?

10 hours ago, Shortforbob said:

A question of etiquette.

The Actor Jack Charles was giving a talk at work tonight about his new book.

The (white) organiser from Penguin,   introduced him to me as Uncle Jack..I feel somewhat uncomfortable addressing someone I don't know as "uncle" 

My culture taught me to address older men as Mr.

I know this is a standard address and mark of respect for aboriginal elders, but it sounds sort of patronising and fake for white people to use it.. Unless invited by the person to do so.. Thoughts?

Like everything, it’s all about intent. 

That is a very wise piece of advice.  Thank you.

Anyone know anything about Australian Super funds/Rules?

If someone is in a defined benefit fund, it appears they can retire at 55, get a lifetime pension indexed to the CPI and still work in their old job up to 9 1/2 hours per week.

If they have two different super funds, one defined benefit and one just normal pay in and take out, you could theoretically take the defined benefit as a pension , keep working less than 10 hours for as long as you like and keep paying into the "normal" fund until 65, and take that as a lump sum and then access some of the age pension at (in my case) 67 or keep working.

Seems too good to be true,. Id be getting almost exactly the same income as I am now for as long as I want to work 9 hours per week, with access to a lump sum at 65.

I can't see a downside there has to be a catch somewhere or everyone with a defined benefit fund would be retiring at 55 or 60.

6 minutes ago, Shortforbob said:

If someone is in a defined benefit fund, it appears they can retire at 55, get a lifetime pension indexed to the CPI and still work in their old job up to 9 1/2 hours per week.

If they have two different super funds, one defined benefit and one just normal pay in and take out, you could theoretically take the defined benefit as a pension , keep working less than 10 hours for as long as you like and keep paying into the "normal" fund until 65, and take that as a lump sum and then access some of the age pension at (in my case) 67 or keep working.

Seems too good to be true,. Id be getting almost exactly the same income as I am now for as long as I want to work 9 hours per week, with access to a lump sum at 65.

I can't see a downside there has to be a catch somewhere or everyone with a defined benefit fund would be retiring at 55 or 60.

Meli, that's only Comsuper, or maybe some State government defined benefit schemes.  I'm in a defined benefit scheme and there's no pension option, nor a work part-time option.  I plan on retiring sometime in the next year and in preparation I'm setting up a self-managed super fund.  That fund will not have enough to provide the same standard of living as I currently have, but will be enough to ensure I never get a cent of any government pension.

I'm nervous as hell about putting all my retirement funds at the mercy of the market - deferring retirement keeps the defined benefit part safe for the time being, but it's actually eroding anyway because there's an indexing factor that is reducing because of the shit state of the NT economy.

Oh, and all the people I know who were in Comsuper retired at 54 years, 11 months.

23 minutes ago, Shortforbob said:

Surely your industry fund manager offers free financial advice?

3 minutes ago, Recidivist said:

Meli, that's only Comsuper, or maybe some State government defined benefit schemes.  I'm in a defined benefit scheme and there's no pension option, nor a work part-time option.  I plan on retiring sometime in the next year and in preparation I'm setting up a self-managed super fund.  That fund will not have enough to provide the same standard of living as I currently have, but will be enough to ensure I never get a cent of any government pension.

I'm nervous as hell about putting all my retirement funds at the mercy of the market - deferring retirement keeps the defined benefit part safe for the time being, but it's actually eroding anyway because there's an indexing factor that is reducing because of the shit state of the NT economy.

Oh, and all the people I know who were in Comsuper retired at 54 years, 11 months.

yeah, I'm in CSC pps defined benefit. Looks like i've accidently hit the retirement jackpot. The pension is paid at the set rate regardless of shifts in investment earnings. I've been out of that fund for 25 years but it's grown enough to get me a bit over the age pension and I can keep working at the Library 9 HPW. If I'd retired 5 years ago at 55. Id still have the kids to support and the pension would have been smaller.

8 minutes ago, Ease the sheet. said:

Surely your industry fund manager offers free financial advice?

no they don't/wont. They have warned that many accountants dont understand the ins and outs of defined benefit. I'll go to a seminar in November but FKT was in the PS and he might know. 

I'm just excited and dont want to start planning a world trip today :D

4 hours ago, Shortforbob said:

Send me a PM and I'll tell you what I know about the old CSS and industry super funds. Not discussing it here.

FKT

16 minutes ago, Fah Kiew Tu said:

Send me a PM and I'll tell you what I know about the old CSS and industry super funds. Not discussing it here.

FKT

So, I’m confused. If the USA is our most important ally and China is our most economic partner, why is our head of state  the Queen of England?

13 minutes ago, dreadom said:

So, I’m confused. If the USA is our most important ally and China is our most economic partner, why is our head of state  the Queen of England?

God said so.

• Like 1

12 hours ago, dreadom said:

Because nobody (other than some Republican cringers) gives a damn one way or another......

FKT

58 minutes ago, Fah Kiew Tu said:

Because nobody (other than some Republican cringers) gives a damn one way or another......

FKT

Ha ha ha, why am I not surprised by your comment. I think it is perfectly obvious from your posts that you are an old white guy who doesn’t give a shit about our Nation’s Sovereignty and it’s citizens. I have no idea what you look like but when I read your posts I always picture you as looking like Alan Jones. The World will be a better place when you both fuck off and die. 

3 hours ago, dreadom said:

Ha ha ha, why am I not surprised by your comment. I think it is perfectly obvious from your posts that you are an old white guy who doesn’t give a shit about our Nation’s Sovereignty and it’s citizens. I have no idea what you look like but when I read your posts I always picture you as looking like Alan Jones. The World will be a better place when you both fuck off and die. 

Oh dear, did I find a soft spot? Self-identifying as a Republican cringer, are you?

Fact is we are a sovereign nation. People like you are irrelevant. So sad too bad.

I'll happily support a Republican model when you clowns manage to come up with one that doesn't devolve into the sort of shit-fight we see in the USA ATM. Until then I'm pretty OK with the current system. The GG doesn't do much and the Queen is a figurehead, but everyone knows that the GG *can* take action if the PM gets too far outside the lines.

By all means let's elect a President, rename all 'Queen' references to 'President' - then exile the bastard to the UK for the duration of their Presidency. Win-win.

Meanwhile I've a few more fires to light before it gets too hot & dry. Carry on....

FKT

Middle class welfare :angry:

now..lets see..what singles earn $125,000 PA or couples $200,000 and have or have parents who have enough for a 5% deposit on an $700,000 home? To get in first?

And if Labor supports this they've had my last vote.

https://www.abc.net.au/news/2019-10-27/government-unveils-details-of-first-home-buyers-scheme/11644018?section=politics

"There is no specific number of guarantees per jurisdiction it will be on a … first-in, best-dressed basis.

"Ultimately the scheme will be driven by demand, up to 10,000 guarantees a year."

The program will be open to singles with a taxable income up to $125,000 per year and couples earning less than $200,000 per year, and will apply to owner-occupied loans on a principal and interest basis.

"It's really focused on helping first home buyers buy a modest first home," Senator Cormann said.

According to analysis by CoreLogic, the median Sydney property value in September was $805,000 and $635,000 in Melbourne.

Labor quickly promised to match the scheme when it was first unveiled by Prime Minister Scott Morrison during the election campaign.

2 hours ago, Shortforbob said:

View image on Twitter

Well I thought it was funny. :)

So did I.

But I took it as commentary on a broader scale. Not specifically about a mother. Fathers are just as guilty.

And it's not just about babies. Adults do it to other adults too.

• Like 1

9 minutes ago, Ease the sheet. said:

So did I.

But I took it as commentary on a broader scale. Not specifically about a mother. Fathers are just as guilty.

And it's not just about babies. Adults do it to other adults too.

You Aussies push each other around in prams and fall out? No wonder I don't want to visit, you are sick.

3 minutes ago, Gissie said:

You Aussies push each other around in prams and fall out? No wonder I don't want to visit, you are sick.

Some of us even sail prams.

Don't knock what you don't know.

PS, don't get me started on Milo and breast milk.......

Just now, Ease the sheet. said:

Some of us even sail prams.

Don't knock what you don't know.

PS, don't get me started on Milo and breast milk.......

In Hong Kong you are more likely to see a dog in a pram than a baby or an adult. Not that the dogs sail them, just sit their looking like a dog in a pram.