Shortforbob

I still call Australia home

10 minutes ago, Fah Kiew Tu said:

Welcome to the world where nothing is private and anything, once in digital form, exists forever. Somewhere.

There'll be lots of ways of gaming this system. I won't be registering.

FKT

me either..and neither will my kids.

On 7/11/2018 at 1:48 PM, Shortforbob said:

wapo's paywall cut in..if there;s any substance to it..it could simply be some primitive Pheromone thing the victim gives off and the rapist uses to select his victim by..Dunno.

So..indelicately as you put it.

Women are not designed to conceive when raped, rather possibly more attractive to rapists when ovulating.

Study: Rape victims have a higher pregnancy rates than other women

By Sarah KliffAugust 20, 2012

pregnant-300x224.jpg
Rep. Todd Akin caused a public outcry Sunday when he suggested that women who were "legitimately raped" would rarely become pregnant. Study after study has proven that theory false. But one provocative study, published in 2003, went even further: It found that a single act of rape was more than twice as likely to result in pregnancy than an act of consensual sex.

The study, "Are per-incident rape-pregnancy rates higher than per-incident consensual pregnancy rates?" was publishedin the journal Human Nature by Jonathan A. Gottschall and Tiffani A. Gottschall, two professors at St. Lawrence University in Canton, N.Y. They used data from the federally administered National Violence Against Women survey. There, they found a sample of 405 women between the ages of 12 and 45 who had experienced one incidence of rape that included intercourse.

Of those 405 women included in the sample, 6.4 percent — or 26 women — reported a pregnancy that year. A separate large-scale study showed that, for the general population of women that age, the per-incidence pregnancy rate for a single act of intercourse is 3.1 percent.

As to why rape victims would have a higher rate of pregnancy, the Gottschalls put forward a few theories. They look at previous research, which suggests that men are more attracted to women who are fertile and ovulating. In consensual sex, women can decline sex at a time where there might be a high likelihood of pregnancy. That's not the case in rape.

"Rapists do not wait to be chosen, rapists choose," they write. "As such, within the limits of opportunity, rapists would be able to target women bearing cues [of fertility]."

The Gottschalls do acknowledge that their study was at odds with previous research, which showed a lower rate of pregnancy among rape victims.

Copy and paste of the article 

WTF is legitimately raped?? 

1 hour ago, mad said:

Copy and paste of the article 

WTF is legitimately raped?? 

<sarcasm>

They have to die or be severely physically damaged, preferably with broken bones, while resisting, to where they're beaten unconscious. Otherwise it's not a legitimate rape.....

</sarcasm>

That man is an idiot.

FKT

On 5/10/2018 at 2:03 PM, albanyguy said:

I wouldn't be too sure on that call Bent. Mayo is definitely up for grabs as Sharkie rode the Xenophon wave into the Lower House and that star has waned. It was a relatively safe Liberal seat previously and I think I saw something earlier saying that Alexander Downer's daughter may be preselected. 

Longman was only a 1% margin to Susan Lamb from the ALP so it's winnable and Perth will be keenly contested although will most probably be retained by ALP.

Sometimes it's good to reflect. ;)

1 hour ago, Bent Sailor said:

Sometimes it's good to reflect. ;)

Sometimes it's not :lol:

4 minutes ago, albanyguy said:

Not been watching this but I get the feeling they dont like the Downers much :D

3 minutes ago, albanyguy said:

True. Reflection can be disturbing to one's faith :lol:

1 minute ago, Shortforbob said:

Not been watching this but I get the feeling they dont like the Downers much :D

To be honest, I don't think anyone really cared whether or not the Liberal was a Downer. Dynasties don't have the same kick here as they do in the US. 

2 minutes ago, Bent Sailor said:

To be honest, I don't think anyone really cared whether or not the Liberal was a Downer. Dynasties don't have the same kick here as they do in the US. 

So she found out.

• Like 1

On 7/29/2018 at 6:55 PM, Bent Sailor said:

Ever heard of a family called Katter? 

Is Trumpism coming to Oz or is this just the good old boys at the Australian cricket board?

http://www.abc.net.au/news/2018-07-30/cricket-australia-sacks-staffer-over-abortion-tweets/10051972

The lawyer representing a woman allegedly sacked over a series of tweets criticising the Tasmanian Government and abortion rights in the state believes there is more to the case than workplace social media policy.

Angela Williamson, 39, is taking Cricket Australia to the Fair Work Commission after she was dismissed from her Hobart-based government relations role.

Ms Williamson was among the women forced to fly to the mainland to have a termination after Tasmania's only abortion provider closed.

She had been campaigning on Twitter for abortion reform in Tasmania and was dismissed at the end of June.

In a statement, a Cricket Australia spokesperson said it would be "inappropriate" to comment on Ms Williamson's circumstances, but said:

"Cricket Australia respects an individual's right to their opinion. However, it expects that employees will refrain from making offensive comments that contravene the organisation's social media policy."

4 minutes ago, VhmSays said:

Why is the cricket board offended by demands/awareness about abortion providers? 

I have no idea...maybe some overreach by a Zealot high up?

On 7/29/2018 at 6:57 PM, Shortforbob said:

So she found out.

It was a Bi election Meli. You should study your history before posting. Loving the left crowing about this. I guess to vote labor you have to be as stupid as Shorten. 

4 minutes ago, LB 15 said:

It was a Bi election Meli. You should study your history before posting. Loving the left crowing about this. I guess to vote labor you have to be as stupid as Shorten. 

Sad that if you lived in the USA, you'd prolly have to vote for Trump or not vote :)

What Are you going to do when our red hats take over the LP :D

Seriously, didn't you read about the reactions she got from the locals? She got trounced. 

10 minutes ago, VhmSays said:

Why is the cricket board offended by demands/awareness about abortion providers? 

I don't think the content of her social media posts was the issue- simply that a person in a high profile position in an organisation needs to keep their political views to themselves, particularly when it involves attacking the governments policy's. No it's not 'fair' but life isn't. The sooner you lefties learn that the sooner you will stop wearing your skin off by wringing your hands.

23 minutes ago, Shortforbob said:

Is Trumpism coming to Oz or is this just the good old boys at the Australian cricket board?

http://www.abc.net.au/news/2018-07-30/cricket-australia-sacks-staffer-over-abortion-tweets/10051972

The lawyer representing a woman allegedly sacked over a series of tweets criticising the Tasmanian Government and abortion rights in the state believes there is more to the case than workplace social media policy.

Angela Williamson, 39, is taking Cricket Australia to the Fair Work Commission after she was dismissed from her Hobart-based government relations role.

Ms Williamson was among the women forced to fly to the mainland to have a termination after Tasmania's only abortion provider closed.

She had been campaigning on Twitter for abortion reform in Tasmania and was dismissed at the end of June.

In a statement, a Cricket Australia spokesperson said it would be "inappropriate" to comment on Ms Williamson's circumstances, but said:

"Cricket Australia respects an individual's right to their opinion. However, it expects that employees will refrain from making offensive comments that contravene the organisation's social media policy."

First thing to say is, I absolutely support her right to say what she did without penalty from her employer.

Second thing to say is, what goes around comes around. Remember those gay marriage activists targeting the employers of people who were opposed and trying to get the people fired, kicked off of boards etc? This is exactly the same, just from the other side.

FKT

1 minute ago, Fah Kiew Tu said:

First thing to say is, I absolutely support her right to say what she did without penalty from her employer.

Second thing to say is, what goes around comes around. Remember those gay marriage activists targeting the employers of people who were opposed and trying to get the people fired, kicked off of boards etc? This is exactly the same, just from the other side.

FKT

People of all persuasions and politics behave badly..the difference in the power imbalance so it's not exactly the same at all. 

2 minutes ago, Shortforbob said:

Sad that if you lived in the USA, you'd prolly have to vote for Trump or not vote :)

What Are you going to do when our red hats take over the LP :D

Meli once again you show you ignorance of anything other than stacking books. Comparing the LNP to the Republican Party is like comparing the ALP to the old Soviet Union. But at least the leaders of the Soviet Union didn't rape young girls at university.

Just now, Shortforbob said:

People of all persuasions and politics behave badly..the difference in the power imbalance so it's not exactly the same at all. 

In your opinion it's not - that's because you agree with one set of wannabe suppressors of opinion and don't agree with the other set.

There's a word for that - starts with 'h'.

FKT

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, Shortforbob said:

What 'power imbalance' are you talking about? What you don't like the democratic system that we use to select those in power?

1 minute ago, LB 15 said:

What 'power imbalance' are you talking about? What you don't like the democratic system that we use to select those in power?

stay with it, F was talking about pro gay marriage people agitating employers to fire employees, they didn't have the power to do it themselves as the Cricket board did in this case, THAT power imbalance.  

12 minutes ago, Fah Kiew Tu said:

In your opinion it's not - that's because you agree with one set of wannabe suppressors of opinion and don't agree with the other set.

There's a word for that - starts with 'h'.

FKT

you said exactly the same. It's not exactly the same at all. Employers have the power to fire people, agitators do not.

And I don't agree at all. Peoples private opinions of any stripe should not impact on their employment unless they use their employment to promote their views...or do anything to connect their views to their employer.

We're in the middle of a huge employment shake up at work at the moment..people will lose their jobs, people who've worked there since they were teenagers..but I'm not about to chat about it on FB or twitter...and neither will I discuss the details here, or name my employer.

If it's discussed on the ASU page..different thing.

you said exactly the same. It's not exactly the same at all. Employers have the power to fire people, agitators do not.

That's a distinction without a difference and I suspect you're well aware of it. You just don't want to face the fact that behaviour you approved of (attempting to suppress opinions by threat to employment), when it was directed in support of causes *you* support, becomes pretty unpalatable when it's directed at someone you agree with.

I at least am consistent.

FKT

Just now, Fah Kiew Tu said:

That's a distinction without a difference and I suspect you're well aware of it. You just don't want to face the fact that behaviour you approved of (attempting to suppress opinions by threat to employment), when it was directed in support of causes *you* support, becomes pretty unpalatable when it's directed at someone you agree with.

I at least am consistent.

FKT

sorry,m where did I approve that?

sorry,m where did I approve that?

Do you or have you ever supported GetUp or the gay marriage advocates?

FKT

16 minutes ago, Fah Kiew Tu said:

Do you or have you ever supported GetUp or the gay marriage advocates?

FKT

nope, I voted for..but it annoyed me to have to do so. Marriage IMHO should not be a legal institution.

edit, I may have supported Get up on some of their platforms if I get a email asking for support.

But nothing on the gay marriage thing other than changing my FB pic to rainbow. Both my kids are gay..I wouldn't dare not to :D

nope, I voted for..but it annoyed me to have to do so. Marriage IMHO should not be a legal institution.

OK fair enough - I agree with you FWIW - well sort of. Civil unions should be state registered, marriages should be the domain of religious bodies and under whatever rules they choose. Basically a marriage is always a civil union but a civil union may or may not be a marriage. That way menages a trois et al become civil unions as well, if people so desire. That would send Eric Abetz into hysterics.....

I think Cricket Tas is on a hiding to nothing over this, at least I hope so because what they did stinks. Can't see it getting far though - the Fed Govt has similar rules WRT members of the APS making public comment on policy and I personally know of cases where action has been taken. Not at me though, even when I was one - I was far more cunning than the clowns in charge and never posted anything from a Govt IP address or in working hours.

FKT

25 minutes ago, Fah Kiew Tu said:

OK fair enough - I agree with you FWIW - well sort of. Civil unions should be state registered, marriages should be the domain of religious bodies and under whatever rules they choose. Basically a marriage is always a civil union but a civil union may or may not be a marriage. That way menages a trois et al become civil unions as well, if people so desire. That would send Eric Abetz into hysterics.....

I think Cricket Tas is on a hiding to nothing over this, at least I hope so because what they did stinks. Can't see it getting far though - the Fed Govt has similar rules WRT members of the APS making public comment on policy and I personally know of cases where action has been taken. Not at me though, even when I was one - I was far more cunning than the clowns in charge and never posted anything from a Govt IP address or in working hours.

FKT

yeah, gov't interference in private politics should be stamped on hard...LB?

(they'll be photographing demonstrators next :P)

39 minutes ago, Shortforbob said:

yeah, gov't interference in private politics should be stamped on hard...LB?

(they'll be photographing demonstrators next :P)

Facial recognition algorithms - be afraid, be very afraid. I'm glad I've avoided things like Fauxbook and AFAIK there are no digital photos of me in the cloud. Govt has one of course from my passport so - shrug. Hopefully they haven't sold their database to Google or Fauxbook yet.

FKT

Our own little nest of Fascists

Fraser Anning, Katter, Leyjohn (sp)

Who actually votes for these Idiots, or perhaps they dont tout their more outrageous veiws at rallies.

http://www.abc.net.au/news/2018-08-15/live-parliament-condemns-fraser-anning-speech/10122236

The moron can't even read his own speech

https://www.sbs.com.au/news/full-text-senator-fraser-anning-s-maiden-speech 

And there's Katter's shouting his support as loudly as possible to anyone who'll listen. Guess he's afraid of losing his ranking position as Queensland's craziest fuck in Parliament.

The Mouth from the South, aka Derryn Hinch, called Anning "Pauline Hanson on steroids"!! Quite apt. 

Bent I'm surprised you didn't ask LB why all these zealots seem to come from Queensland?

8 minutes ago, albanyguy said:

The Mouth from the South, aka Derryn Hinch, called Anning "Pauline Hanson on steroids"!! Quite apt. 

Bent I'm surprised you didn't ask LB why all these zealots seem to come from Queensland?

Well, besides the fact he's on my ignore list, there isn't much point asking Queenslanders why Queenslanders are fucked in the head. Kind of like asking one asylum inmate why the rest of his therapy group are insane. ;) 

20 minutes ago, Bent Sailor said:

Well, besides the fact he's on my ignore list, there isn't much point asking Queenslanders why Queenslanders are fucked in the head. Kind of like asking one asylum inmate why the rest of his therapy group are insane. ;)

That's like the old joke why Queensland's favourite beer is 4X.... and regardless, they're not a patch on the NT population.

Can't see why you'd bother putting LB on ignore though - I find him highly entertaining.

FKT

3 minutes ago, Fah Kiew Tu said:

That's like the old joke why Queensland's favourite beer is 4X.... and regardless, they're not a patch on the NT population.

No argument about NT... but there are far less of them, in general and in parliament. ;) 

3 minutes ago, Fah Kiew Tu said:

Can't see why you'd bother putting LB on ignore though - I find him highly entertaining.

You never became one of his "projects". When he gets a hankering for stalking you, it's a lot less amusing. 

1 minute ago, Bent Sailor said:

You never became one of his "projects". When he gets a hankering for stalking you, it's a lot less amusing. 

Might happen, probably won't - I don't really care, he's probably more cynical than I am. Nobody missed me before I arrived, same will apply when I get bored & depart.

Last bit of the upgrade work got installed today - I'm on the road on Saturday. Back to the cold place for a while before Brisbane, Perth and back to Sydney before Christmas (thanks to Govt IT people who can't even meet their own deadlines). Somewhere in there I need to get the new boat out of the shed.

FKT

18 hours ago, Bent Sailor said:

I found it quite amusing :lol: I can understand why you didn't

It was some of his best work.

32 minutes ago, albanyguy said:

I found it quite amusing :lol: I can understand why you didn't

It was some of his best work.

Artists tend to do their best work when focused on their obsession. Doesn't usually make the object of their obsession feel any better about it. ;)

35 minutes ago, Bent Sailor said:

Artists tend to do their best work when focused on their obsession. Doesn't usually make the object of their obsession feel any better about it. ;)

The only problem I have with the 'ignore' function is, it still shows the posts you're ignoring, just not the content. I preferred the old Usenet newsgroup/reader system where a person could be ignored and you'd never see their posts at all, unless someone else quoted them.

Steam Flyer will probably remember some of the 'fun' on the old alt.sailing.asa newsgroup.....

FKT

1 hour ago, Fah Kiew Tu said:

The only problem I have with the 'ignore' function is, it still shows the posts you're ignoring, just not the content. I preferred the old Usenet newsgroup/reader system where a person could be ignored and you'd never see their posts at all, unless someone else quoted them.

Doesn't bother me that much. I tend to read on a big screen, so a line here or there saying "Stalking_Poster_X posted something you have blocked" doesn't really do much. The quoting thing was a pain though. Especially when the ignored user creates socks just to quote their own posts (yeah, when stalkers latch on here - they go FULL retard). JavaScript fixed that and after a while the leg-humpers got bored copy/pasting every blocked post.

Steam Flyer will probably remember some of the 'fun' on the old alt.sailing.asa newsgroup.....

Whilst I'm old enough to have been a newsgroup user (for quite a while I might add); I discovered my love of sailing relatively late in life after I moved the family to the coast. Forums, blogs, and even YouTube were all a thing by that point. Even if my kids cannot remember a time when they weren't ubiquitous.

On 8/16/2018 at 12:26 PM, Bent Sailor said:

Well four posts in a row about me could be described as an obsession. It certainly can’t be described as ‘ignoring’ someone cup cake. 

On 8/16/2018 at 2:43 PM, Bent Sailor said:

I discovered my love of being a long winded, preachy know all relatively late in life after I became unemployed. 

Fixed for the sake of pedantry. 

I only searched for this thread today to comment on the unfolding political circus. Imagine my surprise to find Benty boy once again posting about how he is ignoring me!

I just want to remind Bent, Randumb and Meli how you were all cheering for Turnbull when he was stabbing his leader in the back. As I recall all three of you claimed you would consider voting for him because of his wonderful lefty agenda. Well hasn’t this worked out well for everyone. What is glaringly obvious from all this that the lack of sack displayed by all on the left (even one hiding in plain sight in the liberal party) is a policy disaster waiting to happen. Mind you the economy is going great guns but suddenly employment and affordable power for the under privileged isn’t as big an issue anymore. The most important thing is to get a party led by a corrupt trade union organiser with a unresolved rape charge hanging over him into power. Malcom has proved again that in this country, anyone on the left side of politics can achieve nothing because it simply isn’t possible to govern by trying to make every one happy all the time. 

Oh and Hi Bent. :) 

On 8/16/2018 at 2:43 PM, Bent Sailor said:

Doesn't bother me that much. I tend to read on a big screen, so a line here or there saying "Stalking_Poster_X posted something you have blocked" doesn't really do much. 

That’s why you went to the trouble of writing some code, purely to block anyone from quoting me AND started a thread telling the world you had done it. 

And that is why I made this short film about you. One more time...

An oldie but such a goodie.

Now back on topic. If the conservative right of the Liberal Party think that Dutton is the answer then prepare for Bill to be resident in the Lodge by this time next year.

LB by switching to Turnbull in 2014 it kept Bill out of the Lodge for the last 3 years. Unfortunately I don't see how they're going to do it next year, whoever is the leader. 

20 minutes ago, albanyguy said:

Now back on topic. If the conservative right of the Liberal Party think that Dutton is the answer then prepare for Bill to be resident in the Lodge by this time next year.

Pretty much. The attempt to soften his hard-nosed immigration minister image to knock-about everyman today on Sky was as unconvincing as his answers to "Are you planning to challenge Turnbull again?" 

I'll give Abbott this. When you absolutely, positively must tear down a serving prime minister out of personal spite - accept no substitutes. That guy is serving Labor up government on a silver platter. 

Serve up Dutton and Drudge..then we can protect Australia from all undesirables..Foreigners, old people, students, disabled AND dole bludgers

Knives are out now

https://www.sbs.com.au/news/two-liberal-frontbenchers-quit-after-dutton-s-challenge

Now..we are NOT going to hear Dutton say.."well, I meant what I said when I said it...but it was greatness thrust upon me..the will of the party etc " are we?..and If we do..we won't believe him..will we?

What a pack of hyenas our pollys are..all of them.

3 hours ago, Bent Sailor said:

Pretty much. The attempt to soften his hard-nosed immigration minister image to knock-about everyman today on Sky was as unconvincing as his answers to "Are you planning to challenge Turnbull again?" 

I'll give Abbott this. When you absolutely, positively must tear down a serving prime minister out of personal spite - accept no substitutes. That guy is serving Labor up government on a silver platter. 

Pretty much - not that Turnbull doesn't actually deserve it. He lost the leadership originally because his CO2/power policy made no sense at all and it looks like he learned nothing in the interim because it *still* makes no sense.

Time to work on Plan B - a decent attempt to get the Senate votes for when you lose the lower house.

Oh well back home tomorrow for a bit - I'll have time to fit the anodes, ballast the boat and finish wiring the mainmast. Should be in the water before the next election and then I can go sit out the next 3 years somewhere with cheap power and booze.

FKT

2 hours ago, Fah Kiew Tu said:

Pretty much - not that Turnbull doesn't actually deserve it. He lost the leadership originally because his CO2/power policy made no sense at all and it looks like he learned nothing in the interim because it *still* makes no sense.

Time to work on Plan B - a decent attempt to get the Senate votes for when you lose the lower house.

Oh well back home tomorrow for a bit - I'll have time to fit the anodes, ballast the boat and finish wiring the mainmast. Should be in the water before the next election and then I can go sit out the next 3 years somewhere with cheap power and booze.

FKT

Tempted to join you. NZ was looking good until John Keys stepped down as PM. Not sure where to turn now. I know one thing for sure...I will not be working in the industry I'm working in now by the end of the year because by the time the Royal Commission hands down it's report and Bill gets his chance to implement whatever idealistic recommendations that will come out of it there will be no financial advice industry left in a few years. Everyone will have to work it out for themselves because the cost to produce that piece of advice will go up significantly due to even more draconian compliance regulations and only those in the top 5% will be able to afford to pay for the advice.

3 hours ago, Fah Kiew Tu said:

Actually, he lost the leadership last time for the same reason he is going to lose it this time - Abbott doesn't want Turnbull in power. Last time, Abbott wanted to take him down so he could have a shot at it (and we all saw how that worked out). This time, Abbott is out to take Turnbull down out of spite. Hell, even if one was living under a rock, Coalition MP's are coming out to say that now.

Abbott doesn't care if C02/power policy makes sense. Remember his "pay them to plant trees" initiative? Hell, he was even the one who signed Australia up to the Paris Agreement in the first place. Abbott hasn't got a better plan and he doesn't care whether his plan is better. As he stated today, his priority is that the plan the Coalition adopts be substantially different to the one Labor has so they can draw a strong contrast come the election. Well, that and tearing down Turnbull in anyway he can... but he's not as forthcoming about that priority of his as the rest of the Liberal Party is at the moment.

Don't for a second think I'll defend Abbott because I think he's almost a big a failure as PM as was Gillard. Rudd still has the prize though.

I think the first time round Turnbull got dumped because Rudd was playing him like a violin on carbon taxes/abatement and pushing Turnbull ever further from his base. Abbott was the leader of the push-back and became leader by accident. It served Turnbull right for attempting to force the Party to his viewpoint.

Abbott self-destructed due to innate incompetence at *running* things as opposed to trashing things. I shed no tears there.

The sad thing is that Turnbull appears to have learned nothing of significance from either the Rudd-Gillard-Rudd fiasco or the carbon tax/green power fiasco which has been nicely gamed by the likes of AGL with their vertical integration.

At least I'm now back in Tasmania where the vast bulk of power generation is hydro so we're buffered from supply problems as long as it rains. Cost of power - no. They can sell 'green' power to the mainland so prices go up to match. It might need some changes at the political level to address that problem.

Bill Shorten is likely to be the next PM by default. That should be really interesting....

FKT

Don't for a second think I'll defend Abbott because I think he's almost a big a failure as PM as was Gillard. Rudd still has the prize though.

Wasn't expecting you to defend Abbott. Was simply correcting you on the notion that Turnbull's failure was due to carbon policies "making no sense". The issue then, and now, isn't about making sense. It's about the policy being different enough from Labor's that they can campaign on those differences. They said as much yesterday.

Abbott might have done all of this out of spite given the chance. I don't think many (realistic) observers would argue that. The Liberals that helped him destabilise Turnbull are in this to create a stark issue they can go to the polls on. They're hoping that a few "I'm an Aussie larrikin that likes beer and sports" interviews from Dutton will transform him from immigration attack dog into a relatable everyman in time to argue that "We're not Labor, see look at our carbon policy". Personally I doubt it, but that's their transparent goal at the moment.

I think the first time round Turnbull got dumped because Rudd was playing him like a violin on carbon taxes/abatement and pushing Turnbull ever further from his base. Abbott was the leader of the push-back and became leader by accident. It served Turnbull right for attempting to force the Party to his viewpoint.

I agree that Turnbull is a little bit to the left of too many Liberals. That was always his problem and a man of principles wouldn't have tried to leading them knowing they weren't going to follow. I don't actually disagree with his earlier policy but not going to argue that here. Frankly my thoughts weren't relevant to Turnbull's dumping - the thoughts of the party he was "leading" were. They Liberals are electorally allergic to agreeing with Labor on any controversial issue. Bipartisanship is for denouncing the speeches of flash-in-the-pan racist senators. Nothing more.

Wow - did Bent just admit  he was wrong? Surly not. History is repeating itself in so many ways right now - not the least being that the Drovers Dog could lead the Labor party to victory at the next election. In fact a drovers dog would be preferable to Shorten. At least the dog can lick its own dick. I must admit I am enjoying watching Abbott put Turnbul to the sword - and all you clowns like Bent that supported him have jumped ship. The only way to fix the conservative side of politics now is to tear it down and build a new united party. One term in opposition will be long enough to do this and the country will have had enough of labor corruption and incompetence by then. I only hope that they don’t parachute in Julie Bishop who has the popularity amongst women (remember the polls show most women detest Shorten) and many conservatives to maybe win another hung term. And that would only postpone the reemergence of stable conservative government that has historically been the natural leaders of this country. 

Now can you babies get your candy out for me?

58 minutes ago, LB 15 said:

Wow - did Bent just admit  he was wrong? Surly not. History is repeating itself in so many ways right now - not the least being that the Drovers Dog could lead the Labor party to victory at the next election. In fact a drovers dog would be preferable to Shorten. At least the dog can lick its own dick. I must admit I am enjoying watching Abbott put Turnbul to the sword - and all you clowns like Bent that supported him have jumped ship. The only way to fix the conservative side of politics now is to tear it down and build a new united party. One term in opposition will be long enough to do this and the country will have had enough of labor corruption and incompetence by then. I only hope that they don’t parachute in Julie Bishop who has the popularity amongst women (remember the polls show most women detest Shorten) and many conservatives to maybe win another hung term. And that would only postpone the reemergence of stable conservative government that has historically been the natural leaders of this country. 

Now can you babies get your candy out for me?

Is it Trick Or Twat time down under?

3 mins ago from the ABC

The GG's staying in town

The ABC understands the Governor-General has changed his travel schedule, because of what's been kicking off in Parliament House.

He was due to travel to Melbourne, but thought it would be "prudent" to stay in the capital.

20 minutes ago, Shortforbob said:

3 mins ago from the ABC

The GG's staying in town

The ABC understands the Governor-General has changed his travel schedule, because of what's been kicking off in Parliament House.

He was due to travel to Melbourne, but thought it would be "prudent" to stay in the capital.

Yeah, even assuming Cathy McGowan provides supply to a new Prime Minister (and she has been hinting that's far from guaranteed); Turnbull always has the ultimate "fuck you" available to him should he choose to use it. Before the party room spill gets legs, walk into Yarralumla and have the GG call the election. 

Dunno if he has the spine for it though.

Presser at 1pm.

If Turnbull is knived for Dutton..well..they must be insane.

Like act 2 of Abbott's revenge..just as ill advised and just as stupid.

OTOH..good time for the ALP to pull a "It's Hawke :D " moment again ...those were the days ..Sigh

Just now, Shortforbob said:

Don't really think Dutton is anything more than a convenient patsy Abbott's using to spite Turnbull. The smart money in the Liberal Party also know that... which is why they've been floating Scott Morrison and Julie Bishop as replacements instead. 

But agreed, Abbott's wrecking was (from the Liberal Party's pov) ill-advised and stupid. Tony hasn't been thinking about what is best for country or party for some time though. He's been stewing in his own anger at being tossed out of the PM's chair, and he's been focused on how to "get even", whatever the political cost. He's a scorched earth loser. 

16 minutes ago, Shortforbob said:

Presser at 1pm.

OTOH..good time for the ALP to pull a "It's Hawke :D " moment again ...those were the days ..Sigh

As my old Granny loved to say ‘So as Ye sow, so shall Ye reap’. ‘Hawke’ moment? Careful what you wish for. Having Shorten by his nutsack the unions will certainly take up back to the bad old days. Did you even live here then?

2 minutes ago, Bent Sailor said:

Don't really think Dutton is anything more than a convenient patsy Abbott's using to spite Turnbull. The smart money in the Liberal Party also know that... which is why they've been floating Scott Morrison and Julie Bishop as replacements instead. 

But agreed, Abbott's wrecking was (from the Liberal Party's pov) ill-advised and stupid. Tony hasn't been thinking about what is best for country or party for some time though. He's been stewing in his own anger at being tossed out of the PM's chair, and he's been focused on how to "get even", whatever the political cost. He's a scorched earth loser. 

Like your hero Rudd.

52 minutes ago, Shortforbob said:

3 mins ago from the ABC

The GG's staying in town

Hey we will all use any excuse to avoid going to Melbourne at this time of the year.

3 minutes ago, LB 15 said:

Like your hero Rudd.

granted..but Rudd was never my hero..slimy git.

1 hour ago, Ishmael said:

Is it Trick Or Twat time down under?

No Bent is always like this. He must be busy being the chief political analyst for both the US and Australia right now. But then again sitting up all night pontificating on the internet is what he does.fuck he must hate his family...

granted..but Rudd was never my hero..slimy git.

That comment was directed at our chief political commentator, Bent out of shape. 

10 minutes ago, Bent Sailor said:

Don't really think 

Before he types.

Oz just proving we run about a decade behind the states , guess our tRump is coming :(

1 hour ago, Bent Sailor said:

Interesting but there seems to be an implicit assumption that had the original ETS got up, none of the crap since then would have happened.

It would have, in one form or another. Rudd was a malignant narcissist without the courage of his convictions. I sort of gave Gillard a pass at the time for dumping him though I resented her from stopping me voting against Rudd personally. Fortunately I got a second chance. As for her, first signing up to a gambling law reform with Wilkie then going to water showed she had no more conviction or staying power than Rudd had, let alone lying about a carbon tax, so no tears for her either. I was overjoyed that Rudd got back so I could do my little bit to vote him out.

Pity Abbott turned out to be a complete dud as PM but honestly Turnbull hasn't done better. Abbott may well have had convictions & principles but I didn't agree with them (Knights & Dames? Give me a break....) however Turnbull's main principle seemed to be him as PM because it was his destiny. The fact that he's still trying to bring in some form of carbon tax 9 years after the event is astonishing - it was a waste of resources then and it's still a waste of resources now. That's even before considering the gaming that was inevitable from the start when international trading permits got mentioned.

Well, he got to be PM and on form is going into the dust as another failure. Shorten for PM, let's see how the CFMEU runs the country.....

FKT

47 minutes ago, Fah Kiew Tu said:

Pity Abbott turned out to be a complete dud as PM but honestly Turnbull hasn't done better.

No, because there is misalignment between his personal values and what he is allowed to do by the financiers of the party.  He is a weak cunt for not standing up to them ... again.

47 minutes ago, Fah Kiew Tu said:

Abbott may well have had convictions & principles but I didn't agree with them

Abbott has no principles, he is a shill for the fossil fuel and oil barons.  He would let us all die before he would stop sucking on the devils cock for a buck$.

Edit: What is truly fascinating and proof that propaganda works, is that there are wage earners in Australia who have been convinced that the conservative government is their best option, that is is good for them personally.  Incredible isn't it?

29 minutes ago, Fah Kiew Tu said:

Interesting but there seems to be an implicit assumption that had the original ETS got up, none of the crap since then would have happened.

I didn't read that in the article I quoted. As is abundantly clear to anyone paying attention, the issue now (& then) is not policies but personalities. Just look at how you describe and see the major players. All of this would have happened regardless of the ETS. Rudd would have been knifed on some other confected issue, Gillard would have caved to the Labor Right on some other issue, Abbott has always been a pugilist better at wrecking than building (with a spite streak a mile wide), and Malcolm has caved on every issue he's ever campaigned on outside the Liberal Party since joining. 

If the ETS was up, running, and working perfectly - the same people would still be fighting each other for the same reasons. They'd just use a different excuse for explaining it to the public. At best, Rudd & Abbott had started with some convictions they believed in enough to piss people off... but both of them gave into spite when they got knifed by their competition.

As the the ETS, I clearly disagree with your assessment on the need for it, but as this spill isn't really about that one particular policy, it's just a distraction here. Turnbull wants to keep his position of power/prestige, Abbott is spiteful about losing said position of power/prestige, and Dutton's been convinced by Abbott & friends that he can have said position of power/prestige as soon as he fucks over Turnbull for them. Abbott has been pissing on every policy position Turnbull's had since he got shafted. If it wasn't the ETS, he would have simply picked something else as an excuse.

3 hours ago, LB 15 said:

But then again sitting up all night pontificating on the internet is what he does.fuck he must hate his family...

mirror_capgras.jpg

On 7/15/2018 at 6:28 PM, Shortforbob said:
On 7/15/2018 at 6:17 PM, Fah Kiew Tu said:

Welcome to the world where nothing is private and anything, once in digital form, exists forever. Somewhere.

There'll be lots of ways of gaming this system. I won't be registering.

FKT

me either..and neither will my kids.

I did some work on the early health data structure standards as part of a State group, pre-facebook.

At that time I was an advocate of E-Health records.  It made practical sense and I saw all resistance to it as irrational.  Now I have changed my views.  I won't be on it.

17 hours ago, albanyguy said:

Tempted to join you. NZ was looking good until John Keys stepped down as PM. Not sure where to turn now. I know one thing for sure...I will not be working in the industry I'm working in now by the end of the year because by the time the Royal Commission hands down it's report and Bill gets his chance to implement whatever idealistic recommendations that will come out of it there will be no financial advice industry left in a few years. Everyone will have to work it out for themselves because the cost to produce that piece of advice will go up significantly due to even more draconian compliance regulations and only those in the top 5% will be able to afford to pay for the advice.

You are a Financial Advisor?

6 minutes ago, random said:

I did some work on the early health data structure standards as part of a State group, pre-facebook.

At that time I was an advocate of E-Health records.  It made practical sense and I saw all resistance to it as irrational.  Now I have changed my views.  I won't be on it.

I have just been involved with a working group on the exchange/cross-referencing of a selected set of medical data. In fact I'm writing some of the cross-matching stuff in a small area of health record data.

The E-Health record is basically a good idea but has far too many potentials for exploits and far too broad access - even after the changes - for my peace of mind. There appears to be nothing stopping insurance companies data-mining DNA and ditto for the police. In theory one might consider this a good thing WRT the cops - catching that man on familial DNA links is interesting. But what else can & will they do with it? Something that can be exploited sooner or later will be exploited.

I'm not having any of my data (limited as it is) in that system. I'd be a lot happier if E-Health data was written to a Medicare type card that remained in the possession of the owner, not stored on a Govt server.

FKT

30 minutes ago, Bent Sailor said:

Turnbull wants to keep his position of power/prestige, Abbott is spiteful about losing said position of power/prestige, and Dutton's been convinced by Abbott & friends that he can have said position of power/prestige as soon as he fucks over Turnbull for them. Abbott has been pissing on every policy position Turnbull's had since he got shafted. If it wasn't the ETS, he would have simply picked something else as an excuse.

I don't understand Dutton - in his position I'd have run a mile NOT to be elected at this point. It's odds-on whoever gets to roll Turnbull is going to go down big-time at the next election and then most likely lose the leadership. Is being PM for less than a year actually worth the shit and failure?

Better to sit tight, let Turnbull do what he does best - make bad decisions - then take over as Opposition Leader without any baggage. Shorten is likely to be so bad a PM that he'll be a one-term wonder.

Oh well - on with the show.

FKT

7 minutes ago, Fah Kiew Tu said:

I don't understand Dutton - in his position I'd have run a mile NOT to be elected at this point. It's odds-on whoever gets to roll Turnbull is going to go down big-time at the next election and then most likely lose the leadership. Is being PM for less than a year actually worth the shit and failure?

Better to sit tight, let Turnbull do what he does best - make bad decisions - then take over as Opposition Leader without any baggage. Shorten is likely to be so bad a PM that he'll be a one-term wonder.

Oh well - on with the show.

FKT

Maybe Dutton's done a deal with the delusional Abbott..He'll hand leadership over just before the next election..where have we heard that before?

I think I'll pass on the next H O reps election unless we get a decent Labor leader.my votes worthless anyway. Go Tanya!!!

The "Standards" are (were) infinitely configurable, to the point of being useless, that's what was happening while I was working in it.  The National approach may must have fixed that now. 

All the doctors are concerned about is "who is going to pay me to update it".

The data will be an extremely valuable source that will be accessed by all sorts of "researchers".  I recall listening to an Australian journo who had Parkinson's disease.  Said she found out she had it by googling "What is it when your handwriting gets smaller and smaller as you write".  Came back instantly with Parkinson's Disease.  Telling the story because google are selling the results of our searches to marketing companies to identify patterns in our searches.  For example a combination of symptoms can indicate a specific condition before you are even diagnosed.  You can then be targeted for medication or you could even be denied insurance if they found you had a pre-existing condition.

I am only pointing this out because the E-health records mated with the google searches will be able to take this to the next level, and it will be so powerful that no one will be able to stop it happening.

4 minutes ago, random said:

The "Standards" are (were) infinitely configurable, to the point of being useless, that's what was happening while I was working in it.  The National approach may must have fixed that now. 

All the doctors are concerned about is "who is going to pay me to update it".

The data will be an extremely valuable source that will be accessed by all sorts of "researchers".  I recall listening to an Australian journo who had Parkinson's disease.  Said she found out she had it by googling "What is it when your handwriting gets smaller and smaller as you write".  Came back instantly with Parkinson's Disease.  Telling the story because google are selling the results of our searches to marketing companies to identify patterns in our searches.  For example a combination of symptoms can indicate a specific condition before you are even diagnosed.  You can then be targeted for medication or you could even be denied insurance if they found you had a pre-existing condition.

I am only pointing this out because the E-health records mated with the google searches will be able to take this to the next level, and it will be so powerful that no one will be able to stop it happening.

Actually Random. you should know that's not true.

Just now, random said:

For example a combination of symptoms can indicate a specific condition before you are even diagnosed.  You can then be targeted for medication or you could even be denied insurance if they found you had a pre-existing condition.

I have just finished adding a diagnostic tool (now in beta test) to a particular medical database to detect metabolic disorders of certain types *before* there are observable symptoms..... however I fail to see the objection to treatment as that's the entire point of finding these disorders - if detected early enough they can be treated and the person can lead a relatively normal & unaffected life.

Insurance companies are another matter and have zero access to the databases of interest to me. I would not help them in any way whatsoever and fortunately they have no ability to gain access to the data. I only have access under strict conditions and for a very limited set of use-cases, almost exclusively to do with maintenance/enhancements and QC. There is no public-facing access at all even within the Health Department intranets.

FKT

• Like 1

6 minutes ago, Fah Kiew Tu said:

There is no public-facing access at all even within the Health Department intranets.

From the AMA site.

"Existing arrangements protecting the public interest that allow use of de-identified medical data for epidemiological research must apply, including the NHMRC’s Principles for accessing and using publicly funded data for health research1."

It will be used for "Research".  Seriously, don't drink the koolaid.

• Downvote 1

24 minutes ago, Fah Kiew Tu said:

Depends, I suppose, on the pension benefits one might accrue as PM-for-a-time and the level of self-delusion one has about being able to keep the position.

It is clear to everyone man and his dog that Dutton is Abbott's tool in this. Abbott was on the radio this afternoon doing his "I'm totally not involved in this at all, but I'm involved." routine. Dutton is either so self-absorbed in his PM fantasy he can't see what's going on or he just doesn't care how he gets in and who uses him for what as long as he gets the position. Remind you of anyone? ;) 

Well, I'd have said "Better to sit tight and let Abbott do what he does best - tear down a serving Prime Minister, whatever the cost" ;) 

As to Shorten in as PM... well, I have to give it to the Liberals here. They've kept the media so focused on their own internal squabbles, it's hard to say whether or not Shorten would be worse than they've been. He hasn't had his feet held to the fire yet and with the Liberal attack dogs focused on their own for the time being, he won't be for a while yet.

Not to mention that he's just as replaceable as Abbott & Turnbull have been. Should he prove the embarrassment you think he'll be, Albanese is reportedly quote happy to take the reins to keep Labor in power.

11 minutes ago, Shortforbob said:

Actually Random. you should know that's not true.

Do I know that?

3 minutes ago, random said:

From the AMA site.

"Existing arrangements protecting the public interest that allow use of de-identified medical data for epidemiological research must apply, including the NHMRC’s Principles for accessing and using publicly funded data for health research1."

It will be used for "Research".  Seriously, don't drink the koolaid.

I know far, far more about how this works in the cases of the systems I'm dealing with than any article that you can find, so knock yourself out digging up internet references that have no bearing.

There's a reason why I physically go to the various State labs and work on-site and it's not *just* because I want to spend your & LB's taxes on fine dining along the Brisbane riverfront (to pick one State).

FKT