• Announcements

• Zapata

Abbreviated rules   07/28/2017

Underdawg did an excellent job of explaining the rules.  Here's the simplified version: Don't insinuate Pedo.  Warning and or timeout for a first offense.  PermaFlick for any subsequent offenses Don't out members.  See above for penalties.  Caveat:  if you have ever used your own real name or personal information here on the forums since, like, ever - it doesn't count and you are fair game. If you see spam posts, report it to the mods.  We do not hang out in every thread 24/7 If you see any of the above, report it to the mods by hitting the Report button in the offending post.   We do not take action for foul language, off-subject content, or abusive behavior unless it escalates to persistent stalking.  There may be times that we might warn someone or flick someone for something particularly egregious.  There is no standard, we will know it when we see it.  If you continually report things that do not fall into rules #1 or 2 above, you may very well get a timeout yourself for annoying the Mods with repeated whining.  Use your best judgement. Warnings, timeouts, suspensions and flicks are arbitrary and capricious.  Deal with it.  Welcome to anarchy.   If you are a newbie, there are unwritten rules to adhere to.  They will be explained to you soon enough.  
hockle

Okay seagulls, you want a war... you got a war!

I was the boat on Monday.  Tuesday, it's was a crapfest.  Washed it again... by Friday, the taupe colored bimini was dripping with white and grey excrement.

I've tried flags, strings of CDs so far and nothing.

Whaddya got that works?

My guess is that the birds are sitting on your boat so your goal is to make that impossible.  You can't scare them away so forget the shiny objects.  We had a problem with starlings at our marina one season and I put strings from the mast to the boom lift that made it impossible for them to sit on my mast.  It took three strings spaced apart.  I also generated a list of things that do not work which included plastic snakes, fake hawks, and a recording of hawk sounds.  I don't recall if I tried CDs.  Good luck.

Seagulls don't like taupe, so they shit on it. I thought everyone knew that.

Birds can't land in a space smaller than their wingspan. You could try putting some string form the mast back or get a gull sweeper or other similar item. 

19 minutes ago, allene222 said:

My guess is that the birds are sitting on your boat so your goal is to make that impossible.  You can't scare them away so forget the shiny objects.  We had a problem with starlings at our marina one season and I put strings from the mast to the boom lift that made it impossible for them to sit on my mast.  It took three strings spaced apart.  I also generated a list of things that do not work which included plastic snakes, fake hawks, and a recording of hawk sounds.  I don't recall if I tried CDs.  Good luck.

To be more precise, it was two strings.  One went from the boom lift at the end of the boom, around the mast, and back to the boom lift.  The other one was tied around the mast so it would exit mid boom and then went back to the end of the boom.  So as far as the birds could tell, it was three strings.

Ditto strings. I have the same problem, with a deck that is 14' x 30 ' (trimaran). My solution is to string monofilament like a  spider web back and forth, criss crossed across the deck, the main sheet, etc so they can't land. Works the charm. The other stuff didn't work at all.

spend an afternoon aboard with a slingshot full of dried beans. "eco friendly" stress relief,  and the little guys will find another boom to shit on if they keep getting pelted.

Only solution that has worked long-term on my boat is netting. The boat is on a mooring, the furthermost line of boats from the shore, our neighbours have this problem too and most are using netting now. Its close to 100% effective. 

The bow is most important as birds like to take off into the wind, but all the boat should be covered. It doesn't need to be pretty; with a bit of practice it takes me only a few minutes to install/remove.

I  tried using (plastic) snakes. They worked for a while but the seagulls soon realized that they weren't going to harm them so resumed sitting and shitting. Netting.

Fwiw.  At home  had a cardinal just beating the shit  out of my car.   Attacking mirrors, tinged windows, etc.   tried a fake owl,  no luck.  Mixed up a solution of bleach and water and sprayed the glass surfaces and let it dry.   The theory is that the odor of the bleach keeps them away.

not really practical for a boat and sails, since bleach is death for fabrics, but maybe some sort of of odor deterrent...