• Announcements

• Zapata

Abbreviated rules   07/28/2017

Underdawg did an excellent job of explaining the rules.  Here's the simplified version: Don't insinuate Pedo.  Warning and or timeout for a first offense.  PermaFlick for any subsequent offenses Don't out members.  See above for penalties.  Caveat:  if you have ever used your own real name or personal information here on the forums since, like, ever - it doesn't count and you are fair game. If you see spam posts, report it to the mods.  We do not hang out in every thread 24/7 If you see any of the above, report it to the mods by hitting the Report button in the offending post.   We do not take action for foul language, off-subject content, or abusive behavior unless it escalates to persistent stalking.  There may be times that we might warn someone or flick someone for something particularly egregious.  There is no standard, we will know it when we see it.  If you continually report things that do not fall into rules #1 or 2 above, you may very well get a timeout yourself for annoying the Mods with repeated whining.  Use your best judgement. Warnings, timeouts, suspensions and flicks are arbitrary and capricious.  Deal with it.  Welcome to anarchy.   If you are a newbie, there are unwritten rules to adhere to.  They will be explained to you soon enough.  

hero1

noun

• 1A person who is admired for their courage, outstanding achievements, or noble qualities.

So this is one of my pet peeves and I debated whether I should use this forum to air it, but what the heck there is not much going on in the sailing world this week (joke). A couple of days ago I got a press release from the Volvo Ocean Race.  All of us in the media are prone to overuse superlatives and I am usually fine with it, indeed I am probably more guilty than most, but this I am not fine with. Here is the headline. “New Zealand sailing hero Peter Burling joins Team Brunel for Volvo Ocean Race.” Anyone else see what I see?

To me a hero is someone who runs into a burning building to save a child or someone who plunges into a roaring river to rescue a dog. A hero is a marine taking fire and giving it back in spades. Those are heroic acts and the people involved are hero’s. Now Pete Burling is a talented sailor for sure, but there is absolutely nothing heroic about sitting behind the wheel on an AC 45 in the turquoise waters of the Great Sound in Bermuda. Burling was born with some incredible sailing talent but that does not make him a hero.

Fuck Off Brian Hancock.

only one hero on this forum for the moment, Rimass, there can only be one ! (for frankendumpster heroes revert to CA )

delenda Carthago, kill the Rimass thread !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Hero is one of the most overused words in the English language these days.

Wear a uniform? Hero

Win the big game? Hero

Help someone at a car accident? Hero

It's bullshit. A hero is someone who ACTUALLY and ACTIVELY and CONSCIOUSLY puts their life at risk or even sacrifices their life for someone else.

My son is a cop - he's not a hero - he may be one day if circumstance demand it but merely being a cop does not make him a hero.

What do we call people who win the VC or CMH now? Superhero?

1 hour ago, SloopJonB said:

Wear a uniform? Hero

Win the big game? Hero

It's bullshit. A hero is someone who ACTUALLY and ACTIVELY and CONSCIOUSLY puts their life at risk or even sacrifices their life for someone else.

My son is a cop - he's not a hero - he may be one day if circumstance demand it but merely being a cop does not make him a hero.

Watch it, you're going to hurt somebody's feelings. 

4 hours ago, blackensign said:

hero1

noun

A very large sandwich used to stuff into the mouth of someone to prevent them from talking shit

Fuck Off Brian Hancock.

FIFY

2 hours ago, SloopJonB said:

Wear a uniform? Hero

Win the big game? Hero

Once again, Jon hits the nail on the head.

7 hours ago, blackensign said:

hero1

noun

• 1A person who is admired for their courage, outstanding achievements, or noble qualities.

Fuck Off Brian Hancock.

While I agree, the word hero has had many meanings over the years.  If you look at the classical hero found in the epics, then Burling would meet that definition (quoting Wiki here)

"A classical hero is considered to be a "warrior who lives and dies in the pursuit of honor" and asserts his or her greatness by "the brilliancy and efficiency with which they kill".[7] Each classical hero's life focuses on fighting, which occurs in war or during an epic quest. Classical heroes are commonly semi-divine and extraordinarily gifted, like Achilles, or, alternatively, are like Beowulf, "

11 minutes ago, 12 metre said:

"A classical hero is considered to be a "warrior who lives and dies in the pursuit of honor" and asserts his or her greatness by "the brilliancy and efficiency with which they kill".[7] Each classical hero's life focuses on fighting, which occurs in war or during an epic quest. Classical heroes are commonly semi-divine and extraordinarily gifted, like Achilles, or, alternatively, are like Beowulf, "

So Caitlyn Jenner would be a hero to you as well?  

11 minutes ago, Cal20sailor said:

Bruce would be. Not sure what Caitlyn has done to qualify.

so, just like its impossible to be cool if you think you're cool, its also not possible to call yourself a hero unless its holloween and you are dressed as a sandwich

Aristotle would say you dont actually have a virtue if you have to think about it. A courageous person just acts without forethought, he/she doesnt ask themselves what a courageous or honest or nice person would do in a given situation, they just do it because its who they are. Luckily with conscious practice we can aquire the virtues we desire. being a good competitive sailor is not a virtue which would lead to heroic acts. Being good at something is not heroic. Fuck modern spins on old words.

50 minutes ago, Chris in Santa Cruz, CA said:

so, just like its impossible to be cool if you think you're cool, its also not possible to call yourself a hero unless its holloween and you are dressed as a sandwich

Aristotle would say you dont actually have a virtue if you have to think about it. A courageous person just acts without forethought, he/she doesnt ask themselves what a courageous or honest or nice person would do in a given situation, they just do it because its who they are. Luckily with conscious practice we can aquire the virtues we desire. being a good competitive sailor is not a virtue which would lead to heroic acts. Being good at something is not heroic. Fuck modern spins on old words.

Actually being a Hero has got more to do with people looking up to you with admiration than what you actually do.
See the Oxford definition I provided:  "person who is admired"

Peter Burling fits the bill, just like Jonah Lomu was a Hero to a huge bunch of young Rugby players in this country.

1 hour ago, Cal20sailor said:

Uhhh...No.  I was just quoting what Wiki defines as a classical hero,

My definition is more in line with SJB's with a Dash of Chris in Santa Cruz.

Whenever I see an article written by Brian I keep scrolling. Seems like a ranting old complainer.

To single Peter Burling out for admiration (Hero??)seems to do an injustice to the rest of the EYNZ team from designers to shore crew, tacticians, boat crew etc.. Sure, Pete sailed very well, but with lots of help from the others, and their innovative, go it alone approach to their campaign was the game breaker. As far as De Witt sailing with an all male crew, it's his choice & being new to the Volvo with a new boat,  I assume he thinks he can win this way…….and that's the point, isn't it? 

The term used was 'SAILING HERO'

Burning buildings and machine gun fire are hardly going to apply in our sailing circles are they?

F O B H

Using "Hero" to describe a sportsman seems to devalue the word, which I always consider to mean that someone has deliberately put themselves in some kind of personal peril in pursuit of a noble goal, and triumphed in the face of overwhelming odds. Guys who win VCs or MOH, or the firefighers who ran into the twin towers hoping to rescue people trapped in the upper floors by the fire. If the NZ folks call Burling a "hero", what word would they use to describe this guy: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Charles_Upham?

9 hours ago, J/120 said:

Bruce would be. Not sure what Caitlyn has done to qualify.

People seem to be thinking about her quite a lot more.

13 hours ago, Wet Spreaders said:

Using "Hero" to describe a sportsman seems to devalue the word, which I always consider to mean that someone has deliberately put themselves in some kind of personal peril in pursuit of a noble goal, and triumphed in the face of overwhelming odds. Guys who win VCs or MOH, or the firefighers who ran into the twin towers hoping to rescue people trapped in the upper floors by the fire. If the NZ folks call Burling a "hero", what word would they use to describe this guy: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Charles_Upham?

I think Pete Goss would qualify.

3 minutes ago, PaulinVictoria said:

I think Pete Goss would qualify.

And Giovanni Soldini for the same reason.  

On ‎12‎/‎08‎/‎2017 at 9:16 AM, SloopJonB said:

Wear a uniform? Hero

Win the big game? Hero

Oh how true.  You took the words out of my mouth.

On 2017-08-12 at 6:51 AM, d'ranger said:

It sure is easy to offend some people.

I'm not offended - well, I'm offended for the people who, for example, were awarded the VC or CMH posthumously for extreme heroism and now look down from above on police recruits and football players being called "heroes".

Yeah - for those people I'm offended.

Look up the citations for people who have been awarded those decorations and you'll see what I mean. Just reading the stories is terrifying.

Obviously we must establish the International Hero Standards Commission so in the future little girls won't be calling their dads heroes for whatever reasons they think deserve it.  Or some kid from humble backgrounds goes sailing with his parents making big sacrifices and he goes on to skipper the david knocking off goliath.  The nerve of some of those people celebrating him as a hero thus casting aspersions on war heroes. 

Like I said, it's easy to be offended - especially if you are looking for a reason.  Kind of like one mans war hero is another mans terrorist. 

The media and our own laziness as a society have caused a collective lowereing of the bar where we idolize someone for being good at whatever and making it into the papers as heroic. Frankly everyone who looks clesrly at the state of humanity and doesn't stab themselves in the heart with an iphone screen shard is a hero.

On 8/11/2017 at 11:29 PM, 12 metre said:

"Classical heroes are commonly semi-divine and extraordinarily grifted. . . "

FTFY. 

Rimas: brave new superhero for the current economic slump.

New Zealand is a nation of sailboat racers.  The pinnacle of sailboat racing could arguably be the Americas Cup.  Peter Burling winning this for his 'Micro Nation'  in my opinion elevates him to Hero status in the eyes of all New Zealanders because everyone in his nation dearly wanted him to win, and he did not let them down.

IMO you don't have to be shot at to be a hero.  You just have to excel under extreme pressure.  He did that.

1 hour ago, bplipschitz said:

FTFY. 

Rimas: brave new superhero for the current economic slump.

Careful now. We know what happened the last time someone used that word around here...

3 hours ago, 2savage said:

New Zealand is a nation of sailboat racers.  The pinnacle of sailboat racing could arguably be the Americas Cup.  Peter Burling winning this for his 'Micro Nation'  in my opinion elevates him to Hero status in the eyes of all New Zealanders because everyone in his nation dearly wanted him to win, and he did not let them down.

IMO you don't have to be shot at to be a hero.  You just have to excel under extreme pressure.  He did that.

That makes him a champion, not a hero.

If you don't put your life at risk for others you ain't a hero.

On 8/12/2017 at 0:29 AM, 12 metre said:

While I agree, the word hero has had many meanings over the years.  If you look at the classical hero found in the epics, then Burling would meet that definition (quoting Wiki here)

Oh fuck Beowulf....

On 8/14/2017 at 11:15 AM, 2savage said:

No.

jesus... this is a hero. 

Ingredients:

• 1/4 cup red wine vinegar
  • 1 tsp. dried oregano
  • 1/2 tsp. dry mustard
  • Salt and freshly ground pepper, to taste
  • 1/2 cup extra-virgin olive oil
  • 1 loaf Italian bread with sesame seeds, about
      24 inches long, cut in half lengthwise
  • 1/2 cup seeded and chopped pepperoncini
  • 1/2 cup seeded and chopped cherry peppers