• Announcements

• Zapata

Abbreviated rules   07/28/2017

Underdawg did an excellent job of explaining the rules.  Here's the simplified version: Don't insinuate Pedo.  Warning and or timeout for a first offense.  PermaFlick for any subsequent offenses Don't out members.  See above for penalties.  Caveat:  if you have ever used your own real name or personal information here on the forums since, like, ever - it doesn't count and you are fair game. If you see spam posts, report it to the mods.  We do not hang out in every thread 24/7 If you see any of the above, report it to the mods by hitting the Report button in the offending post.   We do not take action for foul language, off-subject content, or abusive behavior unless it escalates to persistent stalking.  There may be times that we might warn someone or flick someone for something particularly egregious.  There is no standard, we will know it when we see it.  If you continually report things that do not fall into rules #1 or 2 above, you may very well get a timeout yourself for annoying the Mods with repeated whining.  Use your best judgement. Warnings, timeouts, suspensions and flicks are arbitrary and capricious.  Deal with it.  Welcome to anarchy.   If you are a newbie, there are unwritten rules to adhere to.  They will be explained to you soon enough.  
Bnordin1

I want to replace my teak bits with composite material.

10 posts in this topic

I am brand new to forums. Like I have no idea what I'm doing, but I'd really like to join an online community to have my questions answered and bounce some ideas about sailing. I hope I've come to the right place. Anyways, I've been thinking lately about replacing all of the wood on my boat with a composite or recycled plastic material. Specifically the rails and trim. Not so much concerned with the interior teak but definitely want to replace the teak on deck. I understand expansion may be an issue. MAY BE... but I was just wondering if anyone has actually done this and what was the outcome? Are you happy you went with plastic? I'm mostly concerned with maintenance. My teak is weathered and I'd rather not mess with sanding and re-varnishing. Plastic is low maintenance,long lasting,and strong. But is it practical for boat trim and railing? I need some input please. T.I.A

IMG_4265.JPG

Teak is low maintenance if you quit maintaining it.  My teak toe rail has not been varnished in 30 years.  Other teak on my boat has not been varnished in 60 years.  It does show its age mainly in getting smaller.  It also doesn't look like varnished wood.  Why people varnish a wood that does not need it for protection is beyond me. I guess they think it is pretty for the few months before the sun starts to peel it off.

Teak was never a good idea for a deck handrail.  It gets smaller, weaker and then one day when you really need it to be there...snap. 

Go stainless for your handrails.  You can pick up a variety of powerboat rails VERY cheap that do the job.

Something like this:  http://www.ebay.com/itm/Crownline-Boat-Grab-Rail-61718-Stainless-Steel-48-1-2-Inch-Pair/142270338017?_trkparms=aid%3D222007%26algo%3DSIM.MBE%26ao%3D2%26asc%3D41451%26meid%3D4a908a710253475d99ebf496fe67f40d%26pid%3D100005%26rk%3D5%26rkt%3D6%26sd%3D172682298317&_trksid=p2047675.c100005.m1851

The plasteak and other variations have been done many times.... and they look like what they are.  Not wood.

Bolidt makes a fake teak that looks very good and stands up to terrible abuse. It was designed for cruise ships and people walking around in high heels and spilling drinks.

On 8/12/2017 at 7:10 AM, allene222 said:

Teak is low maintenance if you quit maintaining it.  My teak toe rail has not been varnished in 30 years.  Other teak on my boat has not been varnished in 60 years.  It does show its age mainly in getting smaller.  It also doesn't look like varnished wood.  Why people varnish a wood that does not need it for protection is beyond me. I guess they think it is pretty for the few months before the sun starts to peel it off.

Allen is right. - Teak may be superior than carbon fiber.  Teak also allows you to see and feel for fractures do to weather. If you don't like the look of teak - paint with enamel or epoxy paint instead of varnish. Done!  In my opinion  - the carbon, plastic or recycled ones still look like crap.  I'd rather add  style to a boat than make it look even more like a 1980s dodge K-Car. 

The more important question for the OP ... why are you seeking to reinvent a tried and true solution for no possitive upside and inviting future headaches.  

On 8/12/2017 at 6:54 AM, Bnordin1 said:

I am brand new to forums. Like I have no idea what I'm doing, but I'd really like to join an online community to have my questions answered and bounce some ideas about sailing. I hope I've come to the right place. Anyways, I've been thinking lately about replacing all of the wood on my boat with a composite or recycled plastic material. Specifically the rails and trim. Not so much concerned with the interior teak but definitely want to replace the teak on deck. I understand expansion may be an issue. MAY BE... but I was just wondering if anyone has actually done this and what was the outcome? Are you happy you went with plastic? I'm mostly concerned with maintenance. My teak is weathered and I'd rather not mess with sanding and re-varnishing. Plastic is low maintenance,long lasting,and strong. But is it practical for boat trim and railing? I need some input please. T.I.A

A submisssion of ones partners breasts for awkward contemplation during this frank discussion of fake teak (tits)

41tBsQphiPL.jpg

Fixed for your 1st complete question submission. 

Thanks everyone (or at least mostly everyone) for the feedback. You've given me a lot to ponder. I like the idea of stainless. I didn't really think about that. The reason I'm trying to reinvent the sailboat is I've never been one for conformity just because everyone else is doing it. Plus while I do enjoy the rustic and antique look of wood, I prefer a more modern look. I want my boat to look sharp. I don't want grey wood and I definitely don't want to have to oil my rails every year to keep them nice and shiny. I figured with composite I can keep the look of wood without the maintenance. But stainless seems like it would be a good alternative. And can I just say I'm really impressed with the amount of feedback I got and how quickly I got it. Seriously, thanks to everyone. I appreciate it

Other issue with many "plastic" woods is how hot they get in bright sun...nobody needs hot handrails on the cabintop! Stainless a much safer approach from that standpoint as well