• Announcements

• Zapata

Abbreviated rules   07/28/2017

Underdawg did an excellent job of explaining the rules.  Here's the simplified version: Don't insinuate Pedo.  Warning and or timeout for a first offense.  PermaFlick for any subsequent offenses Don't out members.  See above for penalties.  Caveat:  if you have ever used your own real name or personal information here on the forums since, like, ever - it doesn't count and you are fair game. If you see spam posts, report it to the mods.  We do not hang out in every thread 24/7 If you see any of the above, report it to the mods by hitting the Report button in the offending post.   We do not take action for foul language, off-subject content, or abusive behavior unless it escalates to persistent stalking.  There may be times that we might warn someone or flick someone for something particularly egregious.  There is no standard, we will know it when we see it.  If you continually report things that do not fall into rules #1 or 2 above, you may very well get a timeout yourself for annoying the Mods with repeated whining.  Use your best judgement. Warnings, timeouts, suspensions and flicks are arbitrary and capricious.  Deal with it.  Welcome to anarchy.   If you are a newbie, there are unwritten rules to adhere to.  They will be explained to you soon enough.  
shavdog

MInor Teak Repair...Is There A Filler

8 posts in this topic

I have some minor teak repair on a toe rail on my Cape Dory Typhoon....I need a filler ....not looking for something to disappear just even out ....any product or sugestions?....like a wood filler etc...thanks...

1. You can cut out a chunk and epoxy a new piece into the hole without needing a lot of well polished skills.

if you go that  route, thinkmof yiur repair as you would a plug over a screw. Make it sorta fit. Use the epoxy to hide your inaccuracies. Sand it flush and oil it. 

2. You can mix teak sawdust innsome epoxy and use the resulting putty as a filler 

3. You can make a new toerail and install it. There really is not a much simpler woodworking job than cutting a stick. 

If you go that route, use pan head machine screws not oval or flat head. If you tighten an oval or flat head screw it splits the wood. 

When you tighten a pan head screw it compresses the wood and holds it in place properly 

As Gouv said ...

Note that mixing epoxy and teak sawdust will produce a filler considerably darker than the parent wood.  If this is acceptable, great.  If you want a better color match, try a lighter color sawdust.  Won't affect the final fix.

Of course there is always Bondo and brown paint ....

no no no no no no no no no no no no no no no no no no no no no no no no no no no no no no no no no no no no no no no no no no no no no no no no no no no no no no no no no no no no no no no no no no no no no no no no no no no 

What about a product called Fanowood....have you tried that...says it can be stained....and gets favorable reviews...

FWIW, in my experience, which is not much, epoxy or glue in general, does not stick well to teak due to inherent oils, as Gouv noted.

As a filler, do not know if that makes a great difference.

If me,I suppose i would fill with some sort of thick epoxy mix I had on hand. And if the epoxy, if darker (you get used to it) eventually fails redo or go a more complicated route. Whatever, keep it simple is all.

Again, a picture would help and I am assuming the filler part to be small area, like maybe a teak plug that disappeared, etc. Maybe Shavdog's suggestion is worth a try.

Am assuming the boat is moored in Lake Minnetonka in the Bay or.the Caribbean perhaps?

An epoxy based filler will not withstand sunlight for long.  It'll yellow in a month or two.

Diamond Jim +1. UV will tarnish epoxy.

I have it out unpainted and do not know if the UV weakens it, but yellowing on teak seems trifling, as on my yellow hull. I should paint it come to think of it.