• Announcements

• Zapata

Abbreviated rules   07/28/2017

Underdawg did an excellent job of explaining the rules.  Here's the simplified version: Don't insinuate Pedo.  Warning and or timeout for a first offense.  PermaFlick for any subsequent offenses Don't out members.  See above for penalties.  Caveat:  if you have ever used your own real name or personal information here on the forums since, like, ever - it doesn't count and you are fair game. If you see spam posts, report it to the mods.  We do not hang out in every thread 24/7 If you see any of the above, report it to the mods by hitting the Report button in the offending post.   We do not take action for foul language, off-subject content, or abusive behavior unless it escalates to persistent stalking.  There may be times that we might warn someone or flick someone for something particularly egregious.  There is no standard, we will know it when we see it.  If you continually report things that do not fall into rules #1 or 2 above, you may very well get a timeout yourself for annoying the Mods with repeated whining.  Use your best judgement. Warnings, timeouts, suspensions and flicks are arbitrary and capricious.  Deal with it.  Welcome to anarchy.   If you are a newbie, there are unwritten rules to adhere to.  They will be explained to you soon enough.  
Dorado

Craigslist buyers

60 posts in this topic

Man, if there's one thing I can't stand, it's Craigslist buyers who say they're coming over and then never show up.

There's a special place in Hell for these people.

But it's empty.

BECAUSE THEY DON'T SHOW UP  ! <_<

Maybe you're already doing this but I always get their name and number before the appointment. If they won't give that up, there is no appointment. If they do give it up, they're more likely to show. I also try to engage in a bit of back and forth about the item for sale before setting up a meet. You can tell a lot about someone after a few emails.

I always reconfirm appointment the morning of.

I'm about done with Craigslist due the inevitable discussion that comes with each call;

Him

What's the least you'll take?

Me 

$12.00

Him

Will you take $7.00

Me

No, $7.00 is less than the amount that I just told you 4 seconds ago is the least I'll take.

6 minutes ago, pbd said:

I'm about done with Craigslist due the inevitable discussion that comes with each call;

Him

What's the least you'll take?

Me 

$12.00

Him

Will you take $7.00

Me

No, $7.00 is less than the amount that I just told you 4 seconds ago is the least I'll take.

Watching any cable show you would be aware that if $12 was your lowest you should have started at was $21

I don't even bother with CL for things that are under $100. It's just not worth the frustration.

Had a boat for sale on Craigslist. Received quite a few inquiries. Had a woman say she & her husband were "Interested". I said "fine, would you like to see it?" She said she would let me know. About a day or so later I sold the boat. About two weeks later the woman called back. When I told her the boat was sold, she became furious with me. While on the phone with me, she screamed to her husband: "He sold OUR boat"

Otherwise, I sold two outboards on Craigslist, no problem.

I have the prospective buyer meet me in the parking lot of a local grocery store at a predetermend time. I go about my business until they call and ask where I'm at. Then I head to the store. Been burned one to many times otherwise.

I'd rather give the stuff away than deal with those idiots. Don't show.....promise to understand the $$ are not negotiable then show up and try to negotiate.......show up and say "gee it looks different than the picture, I don't know of I can use it"...........f em. Its not worth it......

Week or so ago, had a compact Euro style washer/dryer combo on CL for $400, specified no trades, sold as a set...following texts from some fucker..."Would you trade for a 90cc four wheeler?" "No"..."Would you take $200?"  "No"..."How about $150 for the washer?" "No...and fuck off!"...didn't hear back from them:lol:...did end up selling for full price later that day...

Do you think selling used items in any other format would have different results? It's not Craigslist it's the nature of many of the people who think they can get a deal buying used. 

12 hours ago, Point Break said:

I'd rather give the stuff away than deal with those idiots. Don't show.....promise to understand the $$ are not negotiable then show up and try to negotiate.......show up and say "gee it looks different than the picture, I don't know of I can use it"...........f em. Its not worth it......

Yes, I have done that with our ice fishing gear. Ad said "Pick it up, it is yours". Put it near the street, it was gone before the day ended.

1 hour ago, chinabald said:

Do you think selling used items in any other format would have different results? It's not Craigslist it's the nature of many of the people who think they can get a deal buying used. 

yes. different advertising venues attract different clientele. The only thing better than craiglist for attracting tightwad dirtbags is a garage sale.

19 hours ago, Dabnis2 said:

she became furious with me. While on the phone with me, she screamed to her husband: "He sold OUR boat"

She's probably read your stuff on PA. :D

I haven't had to hit the cash machine for pocket money for 6 weeks now - just keep unloading surplus shit on CL. I've sold $10's of thousands of stuff on CL over the years - works well for me. One of the best aspects of it is for that weird POS that only one person is going to want - just keep renewing the ad until it sells - sometimes it can take years but who cares about 10 seconds every week or two to renew the ad instead of trashing the piece?

Having said that, I agree there are a lot of selfish and inconsiderate assholes out there but they are always with us.

15 hours ago, PuffyJman said:

I have the prospective buyer meet me in the parking lot of a local grocery store at a predetermend time. I go about my business until they call and ask where I'm at. Then I head to the store. Been burned one to many times otherwise.

That's a good tactic. I do something similar. Have had a lot of no-shows, a lot of people trying to make a better deal.

"Well I saw one just like that at half your price" my answer: OK go buy that one

If people who have not even seen the item in person say "What's the lowest you'll take" I assume they are not real buyers and politely end the conversation.

"Will you hold it for me until next month, I am getting a legal settlement" my answer is: put down a deposit and I'll think about it. No cash? Too bad. If nobody has bought it by next month (assuming the cash magically appears) then we can talk.

"How do I know it works" or "Will you give me free lessons" my answer, if you don't know anything about it, why do you want it in the first place? Polite goodbye.

I have had some real kooks dealing with guitars; for the most part it's not worth it. Stick with fair but realistic buy/sell practice. We've been a capitalist society for a really really long time, most people should know how it works by now.

-DSK

5 hours ago, Mismoyled Jiblet. said:

yes. different advertising venues attract different clientele. The only thing better than craiglist for attracting tightwad dirtbags is a garage sale.

Examples please 

7 hours ago, SloopJonB said:

She's probably read your stuff on PA. :D

As on PA, I was polite, told her I was sorry, she hung up on me.

22 hours ago, Point Break said:

I don't care what it is, put it at the end of the driveway with a free sign and it's gone. When we moved and seriously purged shit that's what I did many times. And that's aside from the garage sale that netted several thousand.

1 hour ago, Dorado said:

Ok, who want's a boat ?

DSC_1644.JPG

DSC_1645.JPG

What is the lowest you will take?  How do I know it works? :)

MS

Can you train me to trailer it, back up the trailer and to drive it?

On 8/13/2017 at 10:28 AM, SloopJonB said:

I haven't had to hit the cash machine for pocket money for 6 weeks now - just keep unloading surplus shit on CL. I've sold $10's of thousands of stuff on CL over the years - works well for me. One of the best aspects of it is for that weird POS that only one person is going to want - just keep renewing the ad until it sells - sometimes it can take years but who cares about 10 seconds every week or two to renew the ad instead of trashing the piece?

Having said that, I agree there are a lot of selfish and inconsiderate assholes out there but they are always with us.

I get rid of a bunch of stuff in CL too, old furniture and the kids' old electric guitars and such ... The weird part of selling anything around here, 3 times out of ten, the guy (it's always a guy) asks "will you trade for 420?"

Uh, trade you this thing that has value for some weed you grew in your basement under grow lights? "No thanks." And then more often than not, that very same pothead shows up with a fist full of cash and buys the very same thing they just offered to trade for herb, no questions asked. Potheads seem to have more disposable income than anyone these days.

Craigslist has nearly killed the newspaper industry, but for finding tenants for rental properties, nothing is better.

On 8/13/2017 at 9:53 AM, Mismoyled Jiblet. said:

yes. different advertising venues attract different clientele. The only thing better than craiglist for attracting tightwad dirtbags is a garage sale hamfest.

Ham radio flea market, that is.  I've gotten in the habit of increasing my prices on things I'm selling every hour at hamfests.  Some goofball walks by and says "hey, that was $100 cheaper earlier!", and I say "you shoulda bought it then. . .".

Sometimes it works.

Another great tactic is the "$0.25 each, 3 for $1" pile I always have. . .

As far as CL goes, I use CL for getting rid of stuff-- CL "free" -- it almost invariable disappears the same day I list it.

16 hours ago, Dorado said:

Ok, who want's a boat ?

DSC_1644.JPG

DSC_1645.JPG

It looks as if the front fell off.

16 hours ago, Dorado said:

Ok, who want's a boat ?

DSC_1644.JPG

DSC_1645.JPG

Will you consider a trade for an identical boat and motor?

1 hour ago, bplipschitz said:

Ham radio flea market, that is.  I've gotten in the habit of increasing my prices on things I'm selling every hour at hamfests.  Some goofball walks by and says "hey, that was $100 cheaper earlier!", and I say "you shoulda bought it then. . .".

Sometimes it works.

Another great tactic is the "$0.25 each, 3 for $1" pile I always have. . .

As far as CL goes, I use CL for getting rid of stuff-- CL "free" -- it almost invariable disappears the same day I list it.

My dad told me of a quite famous situation that happened when he was a young man (1930's). An ad was run in the back pages of a magazine like Popular Mechanics that simply said "Last Chance - send $1". Apparently the money poured in. :D

3 hours ago, bplipschitz said:

I was trying to get rid of something for $5 once on CL and no one would take it for a couple weeks.

Changed it to "free for a 6-pack of good beer" and it was gone in a day. Beer they bought was $9.

Today's highlight

I swear I'm not making this up. 

"I told my wife I was buying this boat and she left me. I don't know where she is  . . ."

On ‎8‎/‎13‎/‎2017 at 8:44 AM, chinabald said:

This   I have bought and sold on CL, even rented out a condo from 1000 miles away. CL is the new classifieds, no better, no worse.  I sold mountain bike tires three winters ago, on my break at work, buyer said "these should work good in snow":wacko:

17 hours ago, SloopJonB said:

My dad told me of a quite famous situation that happened when he was a young man (1930's). An ad was run in the back pages of a magazine like Popular Mechanics that simply said "Last Chance - send $1". Apparently the money poured in. :D

070815timessqsignman4wf1.jpg?quality=80&

On 8/13/2017 at 3:41 PM, Dorado said:

Ok, who want's a boat ?

DSC_1644.JPG

DSC_1645.JPG

Is a liveaboard slip included?

On 08/14/2017 at 2:04 PM, Dorado said:

Do you have cash or do you have to sell your donkey first <_<

I got rid of the donkey for some guys wife. She reckons her small dicked ex was interested in a similar one.

Does it come with a life jacket? I only need 1. Bitch won't shut up.

Done! Can you wait till next week? My mom gets out next Thursday and I ain't got a license.

Or I can do a direct deposit. What's your bank account details?

First National Nigerian Princes Credit Union

Acct# 100111000111110

You know, I was drunk the day my momma got out of prison.

19 minutes ago, Point Break said:
56 minutes ago, Grande Mastere Dreade said:

will you take $50?

How about $45?

I'll give you $60 fer it but you have to wait until after I get a legal settlement from this guy I'm suing. His house hit my car the other night and my lawyer sez I'm gonna git lotsa money

-DSK

10 minutes ago, Steam Flyer said:

I'll give you $60 fer it but you have to wait until after I get a legal settlement from this guy I'm suing. His house hit my car the other night and my lawyer sez I'm gonna git lotsa money

-DSK

Big deal...my Nigerian Prince inheritance will be here any day now and I'm not only gonna buy that boat but I'm gonna buy this website and flick all you fackers. Except Snags........and anybody who likes the Bears and Cubbies......they can stay. Well, Jeff & Chesapeake too.....maybe Bus....we'll, Austin can stay too...and Dorado...definitely Dorado.....and BMiller........couple of the Aussies are kinda interesting as well....except for that one.......ah heck this is gonna be harder than I thought. Packers fans are definitely gonna get the boot though.....definitely.......

2 minutes ago, Point Break said:

Big deal...my Nigerian Prince inheritance will be here any day now and I'm not only gonna buy that boat but I'm gonna buy this website and flick all you fackers. Except Snags........and anybody who likes the Bears and Cubbies......they can stay. Well, Jeff & Chesapeake too.....maybe Bus....we'll, Austin can stay too...and Dorado...definitely Dorado.....and BMiller........couple of the Aussies are kinda interesting as well....except for that one.......ah heck this is gonna be harder than I thought. Packers fans are definitely gonna get the boot though.....definitely.......

?? Buy this website? Did you find it on Craigslist too??

-DSK

Just now, Steam Flyer said:

?? Buy this website? Did you find it on Craigslist too??

-DSK

(Shuuuuuusssshhhhh - I made it up.........)

4 hours ago, Point Break said:

Well I guess I'm finally going to be gone for good then! :D

Son bought an an aquarium off of CL... and got one-hell of a deal..  The seller said he was the only one that showed up let alone did it it when he said he was going to show up...  guy got tired of all the BS and took a beating...  I would say the kid paid $0.05 on the dollar for all the stuff he got... 

2 hours ago, Monkey said:

Well I guess I'm finally going to be gone for good then! :D

:lol:

Well.........maybe not you............just stay off the cheesehead bandwagon.....................did I mention how much I HATE Aaron Rodgers...........

52 minutes ago, nacradriver said:

Son bought an an aquarium off of CL... and got one-hell of a deal..  The seller said he was the only one that showed up let alone did it it when he said he was going to show up...  guy got tired of all the BS and took a beating...  I would say the kid paid $0.05 on the dollar for all the stuff he got... 

I miss my aquarium.............we had a awesome one. Sigh.............

48 minutes ago, Point Break said:

Well.........maybe not you............just stay off the cheesehead bandwagon.....................did I mention how much I HATE Aaron Rodgers...........

To be fair, 23 (I think) other teams passed him by in the draft. He's earned the right to play with a big ol' fuck you chip on his shoulder. And he does it well!!  

13 minutes ago, Monkey said:

To be fair, 23 (I think) other teams passed him by in the draft. He's earned the right to play with a big ol' fuck you chip on his shoulder. And he does it well!!  

Well....that's it.......now where the heck is that flick button...........I know it's around here somewhere........

On 8/14/2017 at 9:48 PM, warbird said:

This   I have bought and sold on CL, even rented out a condo from 1000 miles away. CL is the new classifieds, no better, no worse.  I sold mountain bike tires three winters ago, on my break at work, buyer said "these should work good in snow":wacko:

There are some "used car sales" down in Monterey, CA this weekend. I'm sure those used goods buyers will be just the same as the CL dipshits. Match the goods, market and price to your advertising for buyers. Classified ads didn't suck if you picked the right publication. Neither does selling used online or in person.

16 minutes ago, Point Break said:

Well....that's it.......now where the heck is that flick button...........I know it's around here somewhere........

The flick button was available around the fourth pick or so.  Somehow I got put in charge of it with the 24th pick!  (I could carry on all day!). 

I don't remember exactly which pick the Bears passed him over, but it still makes my day. :D

21 hours ago, Steam Flyer said:

-DSK

You ain't getting a cent! It was an act of God that saw my house fall off those blocks. Anyways, you were too drunk to be driving. Aunt Sue Ann said you knocked back 7 beers after you found out about my new cousin. And then she said maybe if you didn't drink such, maybe I wouldn't be getting a new cousin

11 minutes ago, ease the sheet said:

You ain't getting a cent! It was an act of God that saw my house fall off those blocks. Anyways, you were too drunk to be driving. Aunt Sue Ann said you knocked back 7 beers after you found out about my new cousin. And then she said maybe if you didn't drink such, maybe I wouldn't be getting a new cousin

+1 sir

And I'm truly sorry about that, I thought she was my own sister-aunt, bless her heart

-DSK

On ‎8‎/‎16‎/‎2017 at 9:47 AM, Dorado said:

First National Nigerian Princes Credit Union

Acct# 100111000111110

You know, I was drunk the day my momma got out of prison.

You went to pick her up in the poooouuuuring rain?

On 8/16/2017 at 7:48 PM, Point Break said:

Because Smokin' Jay was so stellar?

Hating the cheeseheads and all things cheesehead lives deep in my DNA. Cutler's efforts are not in play for that. Doesn't matter whether the Bears are having a good or bad season to hate the packers. I pull for two teams.....the Bears and ANYBODY playing the packers. ANYBODY......even the cowboys.

31 minutes ago, Point Break said:

Hating the cheeseheads and all things cheesehead lives deep in my DNA. Cutler's efforts are not in play for that. Doesn't matter whether the Bears are having a good or bad season to hate the packers. I pull for two teams.....the Bears and ANYBODY playing the packers. ANYBODY......even the cowboys.

Wow, as someone who grew up on the IL/WI border, I would say that borders on mental illness.  I mean, *everyone* outside of Dallas should should save that kind of hatred for the Cowboys.

And the Raiders.  Especially if you are a Bears fan.

1 hour ago, bplipschitz said:

Wow, as someone who grew up on the IL/WI border, I would say that borders on mental illness.  I mean, *everyone* outside of Dallas should should save that kind of hatred for the Cowboys.

And the Raiders.  Especially if you are a Bears fan.

Mental illness.......I have no objection to that, but I repeat......it's organic......

hating the Pack is fine, but it'd still be a glorious thing for them to win the Super Bowl this season and shit on the idiots who forked over a billion+ for that dump of a stadium in Minneapolis.