• Announcements

• Zapata

Abbreviated rules   07/28/2017

Underdawg did an excellent job of explaining the rules.  Here's the simplified version: Don't insinuate Pedo.  Warning and or timeout for a first offense.  PermaFlick for any subsequent offenses Don't out members.  See above for penalties.  Caveat:  if you have ever used your own real name or personal information here on the forums since, like, ever - it doesn't count and you are fair game. If you see spam posts, report it to the mods.  We do not hang out in every thread 24/7 If you see any of the above, report it to the mods by hitting the Report button in the offending post.   We do not take action for foul language, off-subject content, or abusive behavior unless it escalates to persistent stalking.  There may be times that we might warn someone or flick someone for something particularly egregious.  There is no standard, we will know it when we see it.  If you continually report things that do not fall into rules #1 or 2 above, you may very well get a timeout yourself for annoying the Mods with repeated whining.  Use your best judgement. Warnings, timeouts, suspensions and flicks are arbitrary and capricious.  Deal with it.  Welcome to anarchy.   If you are a newbie, there are unwritten rules to adhere to.  They will be explained to you soon enough.  
wristwister

Northern Century

Any of you PNW'ers doing this next weekend? I was going to do the DH 100, but my partner dropped out. I'm considering recruiting another victim sailor to do this, but having second thoughts. Maybe some of you can talk me into or out of this.

My main concern is that so far it looks like a bunch of boats out of my PHRF class signed up. For a race like this it would be a shame to get dusted at the start line and not see another racer again till the after party. I'm hopeful I'll see some more cruisy boats in the ~200 PHRF range sign up.

Then I'm looking at the tracker results from last year. Holy crap, there are periods where the boats move a few miles in 8 hours! Wind predictions appear light for this year too, so it could be a frustrating race. 

Wadayasay? Fun race for a 30' cruiser to enter, or out of my league?

Can't do it this year, but I think this is an absolutely fantastic event!  Wind conditions are typicaly painfully light (at least they were the last three years that I raced), but the course options make this a "must do" event in my mind.  Raced twice on a 33' boat with runners (what a PITA to deal with SH spin gybes at night) and once on a 47'er (what a PITA to deal with SH spin gybes at night).

I'd say go race and enjoy the course/conditions...but plan on being out there until Sunday.

I'm doing it in a slow cruiser as well and am real shit at sailing (2nd race as skipper) so you'd probably beat me. 

Also the wind looks pretty good? From the EC Site

Friday Wind west 5 to 15 knots increasing to west 25 to 35 late in the day.

Saturday Wind west 10 to 15 knots increasing to west 15 to 25 late in the day.

NOAA
Fri SW wind 10 to 20 kt. Wind waves 3 ft or less.
Sat W wind 5 to 15 kt. Wind waves 2 ft or less.

I don't know Alctel, I've raced against those Cherubinis before and they seem to hold their own pretty well. But it's good to know I could possibly have some company at the tail end of the fleet.

Wind predictions are indeed changing. According to SailFlow, there should be good wind in the right direction to support the run up to Pt. Roberts, but then it seems to peter out for  the rest of the weekend.

Got my feelers out for the right 2nd crew to do the DH100. If I can find the right person in the next day or two I'll probably sign up. Otherwise I'll watch you guys duke it out on the tracker.

I'm looking forward to staring up at the kite with the Perseids backdrop.  Hoping for breeze and planning with beer for another beautiful race regardless of race conditions. 

Come join us at the back of the pack in the DH 100 at 231!  Love to see the look on their faces when we come drifting in after the lead boats wait, at the each hole, for us to show up.

1 hour ago, wristwister said:

Glad to have the company at the tail end of the fleet. 40 hours on a SJ24 huh? And I thought I was a glutton for punishment!

Hurt Box 24 for sure.