Rasputin22

D Randy West sails over the Horizon

One of the Godfathers of the Caribbean multihull sailing and racing (and partying!) scenes D Randy West has been lost to brain tumors from melanomna. I was still in bed early this morning and heard Skype ringing on my computer and it turned out to be a fellow Caribbean multi maniac in Aruba who had heard rumors of Randy passing. Must have been during the night and no real details yet but what I found on his facebook page. 

Randy owned PPALU a 75' Spronk catamaran and had skippered and raced a long line of Spronks since the 80's including SHADOWFAX and SKYJACK. I was lucky enough to have raced with and against him in the Caribbean and New England and he will be greatly missed among his tribe. His enthusiasm and smile was infectious and there was always a party that was threatening to break out wherever he went. 

R.I.P. Randy

Image may contain: 4 people, people smiling, indoor

Sad news. Here's a photo of PPALU at Shell Beach, St. Barts just before it was holed and sank in Sint Maarten.

RnK1c6l1m1XiO_4rJpK6idjJ7xBZVjOjIgPTn1GU 

I am really sad to hear that - hadn't seen him in a while, but he was quite a guy and a pretty bright light in this world.  Shit-i guess we are all getting older...fair winds Randy.

Only met him once when he was up here racing the Chi Mac on the Gunboat "Lucky somethingorother" (it was yellow).  Had a most excellent time chatting it up and hearing all the stories of multihull sailing in the Caribbean.  What a great person!  Fair Winds D Randy!  Will be keeping a good thought for all those who were close to you and knew you best.

1 hour ago, Geff said:

Only met him once when he was up here racing the Chi Mac on the Gunboat "Lucky somethingorother" (it was yellow).  Had a most excellent time chatting it up and hearing all the stories of multihull sailing in the Caribbean.  What a great person!  Fair Winds D Randy!  Will be keeping a good thought for all those who were close to you and knew you best.

The Gunboat was "Lickety Split" not "Lucky..."

I was looking through some of Randy's photos on his Facebook page and there was a friend who had posted there some very nice images of Ppalu in Florida not long ago that to my surprise had been processed with a 'watercolor' filter. Nice effect and similar to what I used to do in Photoshop. Reviews said that it was easier to get the soft look of watercolor on art paper than PS so I gave it a try. Nice start but I took the results to PS and did some further tweaking there. I did a photo of BOLERO that had been posted recently and liked the results. Then I though to give Randy's beloved PPALU the treatment myself and came up with this that I would like to share on this tribute page to Randy. 

You de Man Randy, hope you see this...

JLdJAWa.jpg

On 17/08/2017 at 1:11 PM, Rasputin22 said:

I was looking through some of Randy's photos on his Facebook page and there was a friend who had posted there some very nice images of Ppalu in Florida not long ago that to my surprise had been processed with a 'watercolor' filter. Nice effect and similar to what I used to do in Photoshop. Reviews said that it was easier to get the soft look of watercolor on art paper than PS so I gave it a try. Nice start but I took the results to PS and did some further tweaking there. I did a photo of BOLERO that had been posted recently and liked the results. Then I though to give Randy's beloved PPALU the treatment myself and came up with this that I would like to share on this tribute page to Randy. 

You de Man Randy, hope you see this...

JLdJAWa.jpg

Fittingly, my first time at Le Select was where I met Randy....  we had mutual friends, shared a table, and laughed for hours.  I'd be interested in seeing your BOLERO rendering.  Not coincidentally , I was her mate at the time.  

Hi Ti,

Now you are just bragging, about being Mate on such a fine craft as BOLERO... Just kidding but I am jealous. I had a classmate in High School (Long Beach, Ca.) who mentioned in a casual off hand way that his Dad had a sail boat. I was lucky enough to get to sail at the Navy Sailing Clubs (Navy brat priviledge) and was excited that our club might be getting one of the original Luders 44 Yawls from the Naval Academy. I thought that they were the ultimate at the time and I asked my (new best) friend how big his Dad's boat was. He didn't know exactly but said that it was named BARUNA.  I about fell out of my desk! He was so blase about it but I would have given my right arm to sail on the legend. Not sure when or why BOLERO came back east and I never got to sail on BARUNA. The son did tell all about the long standing rivalry between the two boats and how the winch brand BARIENT originated. 

Here is my 'posterized' modification of a nice photo that was posted on SA recently. I should get the photographers name to add to the credits but for now,

Bolero-WCsm.jpg

Just heard of Randy's passing yesterday (8Sept) when I returned from Lunenburg NS. So sad to hear this, he was a GREAT guy.

I understand there is a service being held for him today (9 Sept) down in FL. Regrettably I won't make it as I am up north In Rehoboth Delaware visiting some old friends.

I met Randy originally at the Annapolis Boat show when he was skippering Olaf Harken's 'Procyon". Subsequently ran into him on a number of occasions,...always eventful and fun. He was a man with many sailing stories.

Most recently I caught up with him when he had Ppalu tied down on land in a St Augustine marina for the hurricane last year. I ended up helping him sail Ppalu down to south Daytona,...good sail.

We had a number of discussions about sailing rig designs for big multihulls. Ppalu was a ketch, and we both appreciated a split rig for big multihulls. I showed him a model of my single masted ketch. He liked it. Of course he had no aversions to 'unusual rig types' having been on Procyon.

I had hoped to talk even more with him about his personal experiences with the A-frame rig on Procyon.
I am really sad that I can't attend his memorial. Perhaps it might get delayed due to this current hurricane??

Brian Eiland
RunningTideYachts

large.THB02.jpg.b686d329efa2dbabb020748175ec301f.jpg

A real character. I never had the pleasure of meeting him, but I can tell he would have been great company just by reading the inscription he wrote me in his excellent Hurricane Book. RIP Capt... At least you're out of reach of those vicious Caribbean storms now...

That memorial service for Randy is now scheduled for Sat, 18 Nov, at the El Carib hotel in south Daytona Beach Shores

Any news on Ppallu anyone?  It would be a great Legacy for the man if the cat was still with us. Similarly if it also has joined him? Sail on both.

Sad news, but interesting timing. Randy was my first boyfriend in 1979. After meeting him, I sailed in Caribean for a year and returned to college. We met in Beaufort NC. After college, Ireturned to NC and owned a marina and restaurant . Sold in 1986 and moved to Hawaii for 18 years where I met my husband and had 3 sons. My youngest loved sailing and was in World Cup at age 14 for Sunfish and at age 15-16 , became US Sailing certified and taught children to sail. He had an accident June 9 , 2 weeks before he 17th and maybe he is racing Randy! You never know and would love to see a sign. Heart broken for my loss and all of yours. It has been a very long time since I had heard from Randy, but it seems he had a great life! 

Yes Ppalu survived the storm, courtesy of some friends and relatives as I understand it.

The memorial celebration this past Sat was a 'kick'. In the afternoon some of the surfers among the group took his ashes out into the surf and scatter them to the waves. Then everyone retired to the party room at the hotel where there was a long running video screen of a lot of old photos that someone had taken the time to assemble. There had to have been at least 75 people who mingled around talking old times, and some meeting others they had never known,...all had been FRIENDS with Randy.

There was a bar with liquor, beer and wind, then food/appetizers served buffet style. After some eats a number of people got up to tell their stories of their experiences with Randy. It was all a very good time, and a fitting send off to a great guy.

Brian