dylan winter

Plants on a boat

I have noticed in many of the video blogs that go tits up or die there are growing plants on board

often sign of an unhappy person on board who would rather be ashore.

A plant is better than a dog with its legs crossed though

D

Plants are a sign of someone who is attempting to transplant their life ashore, onto a boat, rather than embracing life afloat. An overabundance of shore-based "stuff" crammed into every nook and cranny is also a sign of this.

Evans Starzinger taught me that and I wholly subscribe to it.

I'll be heading out for 10 more days at the end of the month. I only plan to bring appropriate clothing, good food and a few non-electronic games to while away any time spent stuck by the weather. My phone and iPad serve as music and backup navigation.

I'm sure I have seen someone on a big ocean racer with a little herb garden they used to add a bit of excitement to meals. It was something fairly boring too, but apparently amazing after canned and freeze dried food. 

I kill pot plants on land, can't imagine they would last any longer in a boat. Quite a few multi hulls that swing through my marina seem to have a few plants on the bridge deck. 

I don't know how else we could have grass for the cats. 

Not that the grass gets a chance to grow, since the little shits eat the seedlings as soon as they break the dirt. Found this just this AM

IMG_3061.JPG

So does it count that I'm using an old halyard and an ex-tether to hang the cut-down bucket?

On our last trip we alway had a little vase with an ever changing bouquet of flowers on the boat. The kids picked new ones on every landfall to replace the ones that had expired. Another thing to keep them busy. :-) Plus it looks nice, lightening up the heart of even the hardiest salt.

Amazingly hardly any water was spilled, even at 15 knots boatspeed or going upwind against 6-7 bft and waves.

Paul

My wife did a hanging herb garden on our trip to BC and it was a pretty big success.  The basics are plants take a lot of water.  If that's a issue than it makes no sense to even try.  The purist bs about eliminating all things land is a little lame.  If you have a RO and are not worried about the water consumption, fresh herbs and even strawberries, which we had were a nice treat.  We have also had some nice cactus.  The bummer of US customs being what it is, everything has to go on a boarder crossing.

Heck, I've seen boats with so much grass growing on them, you'd need to mow the foredeck to work up there.  Sadly lost many zombie-fleet photos to the photobucket apocalypse.  

1 hour ago, SASSAFRASS said:

My wife did a hanging herb garden on our trip to BC and it was a pretty big success.  The basics are plants take a lot of water.  If that's a issue than it makes no sense to even try.  The purist bs about eliminating all things land is a little lame.  If you have a RO and are not worried about the water consumption, fresh herbs and even strawberries, which we had were a nice treat.  We have also had some nice cactus.  The bummer of US customs being what it is, everything has to go on a boarder crossing.

Not as purist as you think.  Toddster's vase of flowers isn't a big deal, so long as properly secured. They die, they get thrown away. No big deal.

I'm talking more about people who put lawn furniture onboard and install 35 inch plasma TV's on a 27 foot boat.  I'm not saying you should live like an episode of "Naked and Afraid."  Modern electronics allows us to reduce a lot of clutter and still have land-based comforts-  Books, music, live entertainment, etc.

1 hour ago, Ishmael said:

It is possible to build a suitable micro-climate for plants on almost any boat.

jmGOojj.jpg

I saw that thing too, a couple weeks ago. 

Could not tell if it was a finished product, or a temporary cover for an exquisite teak fly-bridge project.

Steve 

3 hours ago, SASSAFRASS said:

A guy recently sailed in from SF by way of Chili to Hawaii with a nice garden of Italian herbs.  He's been cruising for decades but he likes to eat well along the way.  Nothing wrong with that.

8 hours ago, dylan winter said:

I have noticed in many of the video blogs that go tits up or die there are growing plants on board

D

Turning boats (any kind) into houses, which is more than plants onboard, is a death sentence(for the boat). So many are going that way. Next stop, the landfill.

I saw two recent motorboat hulls 'on' my local landfill today. I go there at least once a week. 

kEEPTURNINGLEFT-wooden-boat-doomed-by-fl

when KTL was still being filmed and I was driving backwards and forwards to scotland I used to pass this boat by a car park along the Great Glen. Terrible thing to do to a clinker boat. Live-aboard. Not living as I might call it though.

40 minutes ago, jack_sparrow said:

So growing my own teak onboard for that deck replacement is not a good idea???

It's a brilliant idea!  In the interim, it can be used as a spare mast.

13 hours ago, dylan winter said:

when KTL was still being filmed and I was driving backwards and forwards to scotland I used to pass this boat by a car park along the Great Glen. Terrible thing to do to a clinker boat. Live-aboard. Not living as I might call it though.

At least that is wooden so the plants are beginning the composting process, from the deck down. The plants should thrive. 

1 hour ago, jack_sparrow said:

So growing my own teak onboard for that deck replacement is not a good idea???

Wouldn't it be better to plant a lawn on deck?

It would grow faster

On 8/16/2017 at 0:50 PM, Ishmael said:

It is possible to build a suitable micro-climate for plants on almost any boat.

jmGOojj.jpg

Fumigating for termites?

On 2017-08-16 at 4:38 AM, dylan winter said:

D

Dylan - Going with the way a Rorschach Test is conducted, the first thing I associated in my mind with the title of your post was this funky old book that I actually stumbled upon and bought a few years ago (at a used bookstore), simply out of curiosity and sort of as an historical document on the hippy era:

(PDF version here) https://avoid.rocks/blog/sailing-farm/amp/

Imagine a small plot of delicious heritage tomatoes and a trellis for beans on the foredeck propped up against the mast...

IMG_4815.JPG

Just now, Jud - s/v Sputnik said:

That guy and Monique (I can't even remember his name!) are super cool.

But you remember the chicken's name. We could start mocking you since we're running out of easy targets. Beware.

On 8/17/2017 at 4:07 AM, dylan winter said:

Picturesque, though.  It doesn't look neglected.  I rather like it.

14 minutes ago, jack_sparrow said:

Some also carry a Cabin Boy called Roger.

RRRRRRrrrrrrrr........seaman staines calls BS on that whole charade

On 17/08/2017 at 0:41 AM, toolbar said:

Amazingly hardly any water was spilled, even at 15 knots boatspeed or going upwind against 6-7 bft and waves.

You have a flower vase on Comanche? 

Wait my bad I thought you wrote going up wind at 15 knots.

2 hours ago, LB 15 said:

Wait my bad I thought you wrote going up wind at 15 knots.

nope, "15 knots" and "upwind against waves" were two distinct events.

To reach 15 knots upwind, an investment in a set of carbon-epoxy-vacuum-infused flower vases might be needed. 

Paul

On ‎8‎/‎17‎/‎2017 at 3:07 AM, dylan winter said:

Has the look of an organic shooting blind.  Ducks will never suspect it. 

On 8/17/2017 at 0:07 AM, dylan winter said:

From the looks of it, those plants are actually several meters tall.