• Announcements

• Zapata

Abbreviated rules   07/28/2017

Underdawg did an excellent job of explaining the rules.  Here's the simplified version: Don't insinuate Pedo.  Warning and or timeout for a first offense.  PermaFlick for any subsequent offenses Don't out members.  See above for penalties.  Caveat:  if you have ever used your own real name or personal information here on the forums since, like, ever - it doesn't count and you are fair game. If you see spam posts, report it to the mods.  We do not hang out in every thread 24/7 If you see any of the above, report it to the mods by hitting the Report button in the offending post.   We do not take action for foul language, off-subject content, or abusive behavior unless it escalates to persistent stalking.  There may be times that we might warn someone or flick someone for something particularly egregious.  There is no standard, we will know it when we see it.  If you continually report things that do not fall into rules #1 or 2 above, you may very well get a timeout yourself for annoying the Mods with repeated whining.  Use your best judgement. Warnings, timeouts, suspensions and flicks are arbitrary and capricious.  Deal with it.  Welcome to anarchy.   If you are a newbie, there are unwritten rules to adhere to.  They will be explained to you soon enough.  
Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
nacradriver

McGregor v. Mayweather

125 posts in this topic

So is this thing going to go the distance or be over in 10 seconds...

Is it soon? I hope so then sports can get back to sports on the news.......

My best guess is the crazy MMA guy will go rushing in at the bell to try and get Meyweather in the corner and start hammering him with body blows trying to get him by surprise.  he will then throw a haymaker which meywether will slip and then said mma guy will be toast.  once it goes toe to toe in the middle of the ring his boxing skills will prevale and he probably will not get touched for the next 8 rounds...  Mcgregor knows this and knows that his only hope is to get Meyweather on the ropes so he cannot do his thing.  Once Mcgregor realizes he is fucked he is gonna throw a roundhouse kick or some other crazy MMA move move and connect.  Meyweather will be knocked down and MMA dude will be disqualified..  Then it is On to the rematch.....

McGregor has a punchers chance. And only if Mayweather underestimates him and plays around. It's either done in 2 rounds or if Mayweather wants to punish him it will go for a while until Floyd decides he has had enough. 

1 hour ago, Will1073 said:

powering_dale_large.jpg

Indeed. Fugly is a very real possibility. If McGreggor decides he can't beat the guy and makes it a track meet so he can say he "went the distance".   

15 hours ago, shaggy said:

My best guess is the crazy MMA guy will go rushing in at the bell to try and get Meyweather in the corner and start hammering him with body blows trying to get him by surprise.  he will then throw a haymaker which meywether will slip and then said mma guy will be toast.  once it goes toe to toe in the middle of the ring his boxing skills will prevale and he probably will not get touched for the next 8 rounds...  Mcgregor knows this and knows that his only hope is to get Meyweather on the ropes so he cannot do his thing.  Once Mcgregor realizes he is fucked he is gonna throw a roundhouse kick or some other crazy MMA move move and connect.  Meyweather will be knocked down and MMA dude will be disqualified..  Then it is On to the rematch.....

Please be this

I think it would be McGregor winning. McGregor is used to being hit, Mayweather has probably never had his arms ripped out of socket LOL 

seriously Mayweather will get some good shots in but if he doesn't get a clean head shot right away, McGregor will win. 

13 hours ago, avenger79 said:

I think it would be McGregor winning. McGregor is used to being hit, Mayweather has probably never had his arms ripped out of socket LOL 

seriously Mayweather will get some good shots in but if he doesn't get a clean head shot right away, McGregor will win. 

I just can't see how McGregor can work his way around Mayweather's defense. He's economical with it, shrugs off hits with his shoulders. It takes years to get that kind of ring intelligence and strategy, to be able to read a fighter and know where he's headed.

I think that McGregor is an experienced enough boxer not to do anything silly, but Mayweather can wear him down in a few rounds, then McGregor's defense drops, and Mayweather knows how to take advantage of droopy defenses.

Seems like the consensus is that it's either McGregor in a quick win or Mayweather in a slow one.

Without grappling, McGregor is fooked I think.

Mayweather is going to watch, learn the pattern, then proceed to beat the piss outta McGregor I'd bet

If it were an mma fight, Mayweather wouldn't stand a chance.

On 8/18/2017 at 9:24 PM, mikewof said:

I just can't see how McGregor can work his way around Mayweather's defense. He's economical with it, shrugs off hits with his shoulders. It takes years to get that kind of ring intelligence and strategy, to be able to read a fighter and know where he's headed.

I think that McGregor is an experienced enough boxer not to do anything silly, but Mayweather can wear him down in a few rounds, then McGregor's defense drops, and Mayweather knows how to take advantage of droopy defenses.

I don't question McGregor's conditioning, every time he's fought that has been A++. The question is his boxing skills. I've never seen him in a square ring so I have to admit I have no idea how close or far away he is from Mayweather, there have been no common opponents by which to judge. He's a top notch stand up guy in MMA, but what exactly does that mean?? Have there been a bunch of guys going back and forth between the two sports? No. I don't attribute that to skillz, but to the competition.  Gonna be best in the world at anything? Unless you are a Bo Jackson freak of nature....you gotsta specialize.

The odds are pretty long...but we be judging them without not a heck of a lot of data. Who thought Buster Douglas would beat Mike Tyson?? 

Don't think there is a way in hell CM will do anything besides being taken out on a stretcher, but I did put a hunsky down at +850.  I wanted the 1100 first out, but never could find a site that had those odds.  But I won't be greedy.  And I'll certainly be pulling for him.

17 hours ago, J T said:

Don't think there is a way in hell CM will do anything besides being taken out on a stretcher, but I did put a hunsky down at +850.  I wanted the 1100 first out, but never could find a site that had those odds.  But I won't be greedy.  And I'll certainly be pulling for him.

Ahhh the filthy Mick against the wife beater...  Sounds like an event poster, fer sure.

So is the black guy going to win?

McGregor was a boxer before going hard into MMA. He has some skills.

I can't believe the obscene amount of money involved. :(

So you guys really think that with this much money on the line that it's about who is the best fighter?

21 hours ago, J T said:

I guess there's the story then. What will an octagon assassin do when confronted by a set of rules that effectively has him fight with one hand tied behind his back? In this case, his legs? But I suspect that's written into the contract somewhere; break the rules, lose some of the purse.

I know that feeling in the ring because I lost almost every match, when you feel it going sideways, you know you're getting beat, and you feel the inevitable creep in, and see him less tired than you. But to do that with a set of skills that you know could take the match, but also know you can't use them? And then against the undefeated world champion? I'm amazed that boxing and MMA even managed to talk long enough to get this organized. Mayweather is actually fighting the entire sport of MMA, and McGregor is fighting all of boxing. The only thing that I'm fairly certain is that we'll never see a champion boxer willingly enter the octagon, that would be nuts. But for everything else with this fight, it's a new world.

We're having a huge party to watch it. If you're in SE Mich, drop me a line for details.

On 8/20/2017 at 5:49 PM, Mark K said:

I don't question McGregor's conditioning, every time he's fought that has been A++. The question is his boxing skills. I've never seen him in a square ring so I have to admit I have no idea how close or far away he is from Mayweather, there have been no common opponents by which to judge. He's a top notch stand up guy in MMA, but what exactly does that mean?? Have there been a bunch of guys going back and forth between the two sports? No. I don't attribute that to skillz, but to the competition.  Gonna be best in the world at anything? Unless you are a Bo Jackson freak of nature....you gotsta specialize.

The odds are pretty long...but we be judging them without not a heck of a lot of data. Who thought Buster Douglas would beat Mike Tyson?? 

Mcgregor has better odds than Canelo had.  How crazy is that?  I put 500 on Mcgregor for the knockout at 15 to 1...

13 minutes ago, mikewof said:

I guess there's the story then. What will an octagon assassin do when confronted by a set of rules that effectively has him fight with one hand tied behind his back? In this case, his legs? But I suspect that's written into the contract somewhere; break the rules, lose some of the purse.

If Mac uses any one of about 50 enumerated non-boxing techniques, he not only forfeits the entire purse, he is liable for liquidated damages.  Mayweather may not be educated, but he is one of the smartest boxers in history, and his management are no dummies.

25 minutes ago, random said:

So you guys really think that with this much money on the line that it's about who is the best fighter?

The second you get your bell rung, you can fight for millions or you can fight for nothing more than the attention of your trainer and maybe a cheap plastic trophy and a day off of practice ... but when either your face or his face connects, money becomes a secondary concern. There's something Darwin-like and DNA-centered that happens in an organized fight.

Sure, some ham and eggers take a dive for money, but I can't see anything to be gained by fixing this one.

13 minutes ago, MR.CLEAN said:

If Mac uses any one of about 50 enumerated non-boxing techniques, he not only forfeits the entire purse, he is liable for liquidated damages.  Mayweather may not be educated, but he is one of the smartest boxers in history, and his management are no dummies.

Tom Rooney nailed it ... since MMA was invented, boxers are no longer "fighters" since their entire box of enormous skills can be undone by a leg sweep. MMAs are "fighters." This fight diminishes boxing in a sense, because it makes fans think about that set of rules that keeps these athletes competitive.

As a boxing fan, I hate to be confronted with that, I hate to think about that elephant in the room. Rules make the sport, in this case, Mayweather did the inevitable and opened the sport up to being shown as the antique that it is.

On 8/20/2017 at 2:49 PM, Mark K said:

Someone's going to loose an ear?!

3 hours ago, silent bob said:

Someone's going to loose an ear?!

That didn't happen in the Douglas fight. Tyson was knocked too silly to do much in that one. It was the Evander Holyfield fight in which Holyfield busted up his game for an extended period. Frustration set in on someone who had the emotional IQ of a four year old. Douglas's mom had passed away that week and he didn't fear anything, and that was key for him. Tyson was one of those guys nobody got away running from, and he had a string of those kinda folks before that fight. 

Getting frustrated a very likely situation for McGregor, and if he has trouble making weight he may be feeling a bit peckish at fight time. 

My vote: something stupid happens, which results in a DSQ.  

7 hours ago, mikewof said:

The second you get your bell rung, you can fight for millions or you can fight for nothing more than the attention of your trainer and maybe a cheap plastic trophy and a day off of practice ... but when either your face or his face connects, money becomes a secondary concern. There's something Darwin-like and DNA-centered that happens in an organized fight.

Sure, some ham and eggers take a dive for money, but I can't see anything to be gained by fixing this one.

Yeah sure.  Unless there is more than twice as much money to be made out of a REMATCH!  Nothing like a controversial points decision to suck in the punters.

The don't need an orchestrated outcome for a re-match, Randumb.

IMO the fighters are too highly paid to be bought with any degree of safety. What are ya gonna offer them which makes the risk of losing this paycheck and future seven-digit paychecks they can reasonably expect to get?? Have to be so much the money laundering alone would be a major PITA, and there is an extreme risk they would turn you ass in to the FBI just for trying. These aren't "club" fighters, honey. 

1 hour ago, Sol Rosenberg said:

My vote: something stupid happens, which results in a DSQ.  

Said that in post # 3.  Maybe Meyweather  keeps it going a bit  makes it interesting and takes a dive.  Would you rather be 50 and 0 and have 100 mm for 1 night of work, or would you rather be 49 and 1 for 200 mm with the rematch??   

I think McGregor will come out in a conventional stance and see how it goes for a bit...but his plan is likely to be attempting to screw with his head by constantly switching back and forth with southpaw. It's the one thing MMA fighters have to deal with all the time but boxers don't.  I'm not optimistic about that, btw, it works in MMA because of the need to defend against takedowns and kicks, but Mayweather doesn't need to worry about all that. I expect Mayweather to spend a bit of time mapping the weaknesses in one stance or the other...and then...

11 hours ago, mikewof said:

Tom Rooney nailed it ... since MMA was invented, boxers are no longer "fighters" since their entire box of enormous skills can be undone by a leg sweep. MMAs are "fighters." This fight diminishes boxing in a sense, because it makes fans think about that set of rules that keeps these athletes competitive.

As a boxing fan, I hate to be confronted with that, I hate to think about that elephant in the room. Rules make the sport, in this case, Mayweather did the inevitable and opened the sport up to being shown as the antique that it is.

Not so much an antique, but a sport with a completely different purpose.

Boxing is fundamentally a set of rules to operate at the grassroots level. A system devised for the betterment of young men.

MMA is just a click-whoring gladiatorial bloodsport.

1 hour ago, Battlecheese said:

Not so much an antique, but a sport with a completely different purpose.

Boxing is fundamentally a set of rules to operate at the grassroots level. A system devised for the betterment of young men.

When boxing was young it was fairly indistinguishable from MMA, basically desperate slightly deranged killers doing their thing. Then the rules were gradually codified over the years so that skill and preparation could beat insanity. Boxing as a youth betterment is mostly post WWII, I did youth boxing, even back then a lot of the rules and equipment were still being tweaked. Our instructors had fought without headgear, with different gloves and with longer rounds. But kids are doing MMA in youth leagues pretty safely, those rules will evolve too. But at its core, as a combat sport, boxing is weaker than Thai, the best boxer from my youth league could have been taken down by a decent kid fifteen pounds lighter and a sweep to the knees. The stance In boxing presents a miserable lower defense, it's designed for mobility, and the rules prevent a strike there anyway. In the combat sense, boxing is antiquated, kind of a classic Savate, it looks awesome, but unless you're willing to modernize it, restrict the rules, or only fight other Savates, then it's going into the fight a little weaker.

One boxer combined his boxing with a three position Wing Chun stance, he had to keep switching handedness, but it was more mobile than a regular shuffle stance. I wonder if boxing will gradually update with things little that?

The gym has been showing Mayweather bouts on CBS sports for a couple of weeks.  Some good ones (Canelo) and some not so much.   Bottom line for me is that he's small, throws a lot, rarely knocks anyone out and dances and feints.   Eh.....I skip the welterweights and go for the bigger classes.   

I would pay to see this one:

http://www.bbc.com/sport/boxing/40999174

7 hours ago, Mark K said:

The don't need an orchestrated outcome for a re-match, Randumb.

IMO the fighters are too highly paid to be bought with any degree of safety.

So naive.

You mean an orchestrated rematch to more than double the earnings of everyone except the punters is not worth it?  Well looks like that's what happened in AUS with the link I posted.

1 hour ago, random said:

So naive.

You mean an orchestrated rematch to more than double the earnings of everyone except the punters is not worth it?  Well looks like that's what happened in AUS with the link I posted.

You think the match is going to be fixed? I'll play along ... of which fighter would it be fixed in favor?

Do I understand you correctly that you think the match is going to be fixed in favor of McM to force a rematch? You think that Mayweather is going to dive? 49 wins, and he's going to blow Marciano's record-setting 50 against a guy who isn't even a boxer? Are you high?

A better question ... assuming he wins, why should an exhibition match against a non-boxer count as his 50th match?

1 hour ago, mikewof said:

You think the match is going to be fixed? I'll play along ... of which fighter would it be fixed in favor?

Do I understand you correctly that you think the match is going to be fixed in favor of McM to force a rematch? You think that Mayweather is going to dive? 49 wins, and he's going to blow Marciano's record-setting 50 against a guy who isn't even a boxer? Are you high?

A better question ... assuming he wins, why should an exhibition match against a non-boxer count as his 50th match?

It is a business run by promoters who are notoriously corrupt.  The boxers are the entertaining performing monkeys who would make far more money out of side bets than the purse. 

I gave a precedent in AUS recently.  The Filipino was far superior on form but he lost in a points decision that baffled many informed observers.  Rematch time!  Printing money, millions of moneys.  Great business decision.  These people are not there to entertain us, just to take our money.

Particularly Black V White matches, guaranteed audience on both sides.

"Despite the overwhelming consensus from experts that the 29-year-old Irishman has little chance to beat the undefeated boxing legend this weekend, punters across the world are overwhelmingly in McGregor’s corner —"

This is what was reported before the fight in Brisbane,

Not many people think Jeff Horn has what it takes to upset Manny Pacquiao in their WBO welterweight world title fight on Sunday in Brisbane — especially Team Pacquiao.

<snip>

There is a rematch clause in the contract for Jeff Horn’s fight with Pacquiao in Brisbane, meaning should Horn pull off a shock upset at Suncorp Stadium, he may inherit the Philippines showdown.

And guess fucking what ... it was an upset win ... on points!  Amazing!  What great management!

On 8/21/2017 at 7:19 AM, Mark K said:

He was sparring with world champ boxers before he went into MMA. He's no slouch.

He's trained for 5 minute rounds and he'll only have to do 3.

I hope the MMA guy beats Floyd's ass.

Can't spend a record. 50-0 with no more huge pay days or 49-1 with 200 million coming. It's not a no brainer decision, but it's not easily dismissed either

6 hours ago, random said:

It is a business run by promoters who are notoriously corrupt.  The boxers are the entertaining performing monkeys who would make far more money out of side bets than the purse. 

So you think that the fix is in for McM.

How exactly would that work? Mayweather's purse on a win, including sponsorships, would be worth something like $225 million, and about half of that on a loss. So to get him to dive, someone would need to come up with about $150 million minimum to fix the fight, more like $250 million, because the vast majority of that purse goes to promotion, training and support.

But okay, say someone connected has that kind of tax-free money laying around, to get their money back, at existing odds, they would need to bet another $150-some million on the fight, but that that much cash would then move the line, the betting industry is only so big, so by the time they looked at just breaking even, they would be in it for close to 3/4 billion dollars, since they would have to take their tax-free money and pay tax on it through most of the betting lines, because even overseas lines need an exit point somewhere. I don't see that happening.

If McM manges to beat Mayweather in a very suspicious way, then I'll consider your theory.

6 hours ago, mikewof said:

So you think that the fix is in for McM.

How exactly would that work? Mayweather's purse on a win, including sponsorships, would be worth something like $225 million, and about half of that on a loss. So to get him to dive, someone would need to come up with about $150 million minimum to fix the fight, more like $250 million, because the vast majority of that purse goes to promotion, training and support.

But okay, say someone connected has that kind of tax-free money laying around, to get their money back, at existing odds, they would need to bet another $150-some million on the fight, but that that much cash would then move the line, the betting industry is only so big, so by the time they looked at just breaking even, they would be in it for close to 3/4 billion dollars, since they would have to take their tax-free money and pay tax on it through most of the betting lines, because even overseas lines need an exit point somewhere. I don't see that happening.

If McM manges to beat Mayweather in a very suspicious way, then I'll consider your theory.

I think the payday is the same for a win or a loss on this one. Mayweather will make no less if he loses and McGregor will make no more if he wins. The amounts were negotiated and will depend on the PPV sales.

I am simply saying that this fight is almost a carbon copy formula of one that ran here, still to have the rematch..

1. Coloured boxer at the end of his career

2. White guy with nothing by comparison

Have the first fight with an upset very narrow points win to the white guy.  The crowd is outraged, cries of "he was robbed" etc etc. There is a press feeding frenzy, it becomes News rather than advertising sport.  Rematch is triggered.  Everyone makes even more money the next time around.

So in your look at the $s, you haven't factored in those for the next bout.

42 minutes ago, random said:

I am simply saying that this fight is almost a carbon copy formula of one that ran here, still to have the rematch..

1. Coloured boxer at the end of his career

2. White guy with nothing by comparison

Have the first fight with an upset very narrow points win to the white guy.  The crowd is outraged, cries of "he was robbed" etc etc. There is a press feeding frenzy, it becomes News rather than advertising sport.  Rematch is triggered.  Everyone makes even more money the next time around.

So in your look at the $s, you haven't factored in those for the next bout.

Said all this in post #3 and post # 29, not the racist shit though...  Sheesh.  Read up alittle would ya??

7 hours ago, shaggy said:

Said all this in post #3 and post # 29, not the racist shit though...  Sheesh.  Read up alittle would ya??

You offered some speculation.  I added a precedent.

On 8/22/2017 at 10:24 PM, MR.CLEAN said:

Mcgregor has better odds than Canelo had.  How crazy is that?  I put 500 on Mcgregor for the knockout at 15 to 1...

Eds obviously paying you too much.

Some of the Prop Bets:

Floyd Mayweather vs Conor McGregor – Method Of Victory

Odds as of August 23 at Bovada

• Floyd Mayweather by KO, TKO or DQ -125
  • Floyd Mayweather By Decision or Technical Decision +250
  • Conor McGregor by KO, TKO or DQ +325
  • Conor McGregor By Decision or Technical Decision +1200
  • Fight Drawn +3300
Floyd Mayweather vs Conor McGregor – Exact Method Of Victory

• Floyd Mayweather by Knockout +450
  • Floyd Mayweather by Majority Decision +1600
  • Floyd Mayweather by Split Decision +1600
  • Floyd Mayweather by Technical Decision +3300
  • Floyd Mayweather by Technical Knockout +230

No Fighter Wins Within First 60 Seconds -50000

• Floyd Mayweather by Unanimous Decision +325
  • Floyd Mayweather by Disqualified Opponent +800
  • Conor McGregor Knockout +400
  • Conor McGregor Majority Decision +3300
  • Conor McGregor Split Decision +2500
  • Conor McGregor Technical Decision +5000
  • Conor McGregor Technical Knockout +800
  • Conor McGregor Unanimous Decision +3300
  • Conor McGregor Disqualified Opponent +5000
  • Draw +3300
What Minute Will Floyd Mayweather vs Conor McGregor End?

• 1st Minute +2500
  • 2nd Minute +2500
  • 3rd Minute +2500
  • 4th Minute +4000
  • 5th Minute +2800
  • 6th Minute +2800
  • 7th Minute +4000
  • 8th Minute +2800
  • 9th Minute +2500
  • 10th Minute +4000

Will Either Fighter Win Within the First 60 Seconds?

• Floyd Mayweather Wins Within First 60 Seconds +2000
  • Conor McGregor Wins Within First 60 Seconds +2500

Walkout Betting Props

Will Mayweather Wear a "TMT" Hat During Walkout?

• Yes -400
  • No +250
Who Will Have More People With Them During Walkout?

• Floyd Mayweather -230
  • Conor McGregor +160
Which Fighter Will Have Longer Walkout?

• Floyd Mayweather -155
  • Conor McGregor +110
Will Nate Diaz Walk out with Floyd Mayweather?

Odds as of August 21 at Bovada

• Yes +115
  • No -160

Rematch Betting Props Props

Will There Be A Boxing Rematch in 2018?

• Yes +450
  • No -900
Will There Be An MMA Rematch in 2018?

• Yes +2000
  • No -10000

Miscellaneous Betting Props

How Many PPV buys will Floyd Mayweather vs Conor McGregor have?

• OVER 4.99 Million -200
  • UNDER 4.99 Million +140
Will Conor McGregor Throw A Kick In The Match?

• Yes +700
  • No -2000

22 hours ago, chinabald said:

I think the payday is the same for a win or a loss on this one. Mayweather will make no less if he loses and McGregor will make no more if he wins. The amounts were negotiated and will depend on the PPV sales.

I'm pretty sure that's right for just the purse, because it's officially an exhibition fight, since McM doesn't have much of a boxing record. But a win or loss would definitely change the downstream sponsorships, a Mayweather loss would probably come close to decimating his downstream sponsorships.

I'm not buying Random's theory about fixing the fight for a rematch. Mayweather is in the twilight of his career, I doubt he would ever accept that kind of nonsense.

On 8/23/2017 at 5:23 AM, chinabald said:

Can't spend a record. 50-0 with no more huge pay days or 49-1 with 200 million coming. It's not a no brainer decision, but it's not easily dismissed either

The sales of this one are lagging behind the hopes of the promoters bigly. Seats, PPV, the whole schmear. I kinda doubt they nor their handlers are thinking the way to make this profitable is to make it a travesty. Furthermore they could be sent to the pokey for that, the risk/reward ratio fucking sucks for millionaires like them. 

I see this as McGregor's quest to open the floodgates to the limits MMA is effectively laying on the fighter's purses. They have done a great job of managing the sport but for the superstars it's easy to envy the sort of money that the superstar boxers of boxing hay-days got with guys like King running things. This was bad for the journeymen but great for the top guys. MMA did a good job of correcting that, going way out of their way to promote the lower levels with reality TV shows about them. 

If you can bet on it, it's fixed in some way.  Even the round a knock down occurs is worth big buck$, I see above

3 hours ago, J T said:
Will Conor McGregor Throw A Kick In The Match?
  • Yes +700
  • No -2000

Imagine the pay-day on this one if that was say in round 3?

Spot-fixing refers to illegal activity in a sport in which a specific aspect of a game, unrelated to the final result but upon which a betting market exists, is fixed in an attempt to ensure a certain result in a proposition bet; examples include something as minor as timing a no ball or wide delivery in cricket, or timing the first throw-in or corner in association football.

So...... This is like a Nascar driver/car VS. An Indy car/driver at Limerock Speedway?

On 8/23/2017 at 2:47 AM, random said:

The entertaining monkey in this case is also the promoter, whose attorneys and staff are some of the best in all of sports.  

On 8/22/2017 at 8:41 PM, Battlecheese said:

says every guy who was always too scared to learn to fight

On 8/24/2017 at 11:56 AM, Raked Aft\\ said:

Any way to hack into a live feed?

you can watch it on Cricfree or livetv.sx   

You just have to navigate which boxes to close and make sure you have good firewalls or they'll sneak into your shit

"Click-whoring"?

Uh...then why's Anthony Joshua looking for some MMA action?

Boxing on life support.

the boxer in his element..... 

Well, the boxer won the boxing match..........I'm shocked. 

The  electoral referees have it the otherway around

The popular vote is always a bitch. I saw the scoring before stoppage was 87-84? That's a pretty big spread. Doesn't sound like it was close.

Caveat, I did not toss my money away to watch the fight.

Lots of Hugging

Some sweating

A touch of slow dancing with the stars

And they can both take a shower and head out to the Klub

Good enough reason for 20+ friensd to get together and Party !!

15 hours ago, Point Break said:

The popular vote is always a bitch. I saw the scoring before stoppage was 87-84? That's a pretty big spread. Doesn't sound like it was close.

Caveat, I did not toss my money away to watch the fight.

I sure as shit wasn't going to fork over a nickel but my neighbor did. Got to see it. 

I was wrong about McGregor trying to switch back and forth from southpaw. He had a better plan and for the first rounds Mayweather walked into it uncharacteristically willingly.  Use his speed advantage early to go for a KO. Problem was..turns out Mac ain't a heavy hitter. He clearly thought he was, and is in MMA, but not for a boxer. He's got OK power but not great.

I may have been wrong about conditioning too. Thought MMA guys had to be near the top, and he's near the top of that scale, but the old guy showed that may be a ways from where you have to be to box professionally. The question is if that is due to superior cardio or superior technique. Anywho..Mac got tired. Tired against Mayweather equals fucked.  

Where I claim accuracy is in predicting Mayweather would spend time charting out his weaknesses and then exploit them.  He didn't do that initially, but McGregor's early heat brought a measure of respect for his opponent. Floyd dialed back his offence after round 3 and then it became but a matter of time. Just like everybody else, Mac couldn't solve Mayweather's incomparable defense and he lacked the tools needed to make it go the distance. 

All in all Mac didn't embarrass himself. He best get back to his sport though. Mayweather is 40 and has never been a heavy hitter. One of the commentators mentioned that Mac was so helpless near the end had he been fighting Triple G or Alvarez he might have gotten his block knocked off.  

That was poor.  Piss poor.

Floyd with speed, smarts & great skills.

But, really, Conor can't box and the bout was a clown show from the first pawing, club punch he threw.  One of the ugliest stances I've ever seen from a name 'boxer'.  Stick to MMA bro.

Mayerweather got his $$ and everyone else gaga how smart Dana White is.  Genius to pull off a hustle like that.

On 8/27/2017 at 4:31 AM, MR.CLEAN said:

says every guy who was always too scared to learn to fight

Being a click-whoring gladiatorial bloodsport isn't necessarily a bad thing, if you had bothered to read you would have noticed we were discussing the presence of lots of extra rules in Boxing compared to MMA.

I want to see Trump V. Caribou Barbie. Cage match.

3 hours ago, Mark K said:

I sure as shit wasn't going to fork over a nickel but my neighbor did. Got to see it. 

I was wrong about McGregor trying to switch back and forth from southpaw. He had a better plan and for the first rounds Mayweather walked into it uncharacteristically willingly.  Use his speed advantage early to go for a KO. Problem was..turns out Mac ain't a heavy hitter. He clearly thought he was, and is in MMA, but not for a boxer. He's got OK power but not great.

I may have been wrong about conditioning too. Thought MMA guys had to be near the top, and he's near the top of that scale, but the old guy showed that may be a ways from where you have to be to box professionally. The question is if that is due to superior cardio or superior technique. Anywho..Mac got tired. Tired against Mayweather equals fucked.  

Where I claim accuracy is in predicting Mayweather would spend time charting out his weaknesses and then exploit them.  He didn't do that initially, but McGregor's early heat brought a measure of respect for his opponent. Floyd dialed back his offence after round 3 and then it became but a matter of time. Just like everybody else, Mac couldn't solve Mayweather's incomparable defense and he lacked the tools needed to make it go the distance. 

All in all Mac didn't embarrass himself. He best get back to his sport though. Mayweather is 40 and has never been a heavy hitter. One of the commentators mentioned that Mac was so helpless near the end had he been fighting Triple G or Alvarez he might have gotten his block knocked off.  

I'd agree with all that. There've certainly been many far worse matches.

Floyd's footwork was vastly superior from the very beginning, Macgregor doing a lot of leaning and reaching. Big differences in the amount of lower-leg strength they were using. then from the 3rd or 4th round on Macgregor spent the whole time walking backwards. always a worrying sign.

I'm sure the $30 million Mac got for losing this fight is going a long ways towards soothing his hurt feelings.

Floyd's footwork was vastly superior from the very beginning, Macgregor doing a lot of leaning and reaching. Big differences in the amount of lower-leg strength they were using. then from the 3rd or 4th round on Macgregor spent the whole time walking backwards. always a worrying sign.

Mac's kickboxing jabs are his strength I think.  He looked slow, heavy in the legs here.   Someone said he was about 174#??  Dunno about that but he's a mess however I looked at that stance - awkward.   Nice jab which snapped Money a couple times but, I never thought Mayweather  was in trouble.  He took some big hits in many fights (from Maigano 2x among others) but still outboxed them.  He's simply the best at covering up and snapping off a big right just when he needs to.   Great fighter.  And 40?  Sheesh...

2 hours ago, wristwister said:

I'm sure the $30 million Mac got for losing this fight is going a long ways towards soothing his hurt feelings.

It's insane money. I have absolutely zero knowledge of anything MMA related, how does that payday compare to what they earn at the top in MMA? 

5 hours ago, Oscar Whitbread said:

It's insane money. I have absolutely zero knowledge of anything MMA related, how does that payday compare to what they earn at the top in MMA? 

We could be told anything.  Who knows what it was really.  Whatever it was the fighter got a fraction of it after costs, management and taxes.

Bottom line is ... they could tell us anything to talk it up.

10 hours ago, wristwister said:

He can buy some more tats. If he can find a spot. 

12 hours ago, wristwister said:

nintchdbpict000261321812.jpg?w=718&strip

9 hours ago, Oscar Whitbread said:

You could go a whole career in MMA and not make that much, total.

20 hours ago, Battlecheese said:

He's a Gold Gloves level boxer who managed to last for six against Mayweather. He's a heck of an athlete, no doubt about it.  

1 hour ago, Mark K said:

He's a Gold Gloves level boxer who managed to last for six against Mayweather. He's a heck of an athlete, no doubt about it.  

I was thinking the same thing. I was surprised he went that far.

19 hours ago, Oscar Whitbread said:

On average, about 10x more than he could make at the top levels of MMA. But those U.S. paydays are going fast, young people are losing interest in boxing here, even with promotions like this. That 10x wouldn't be possible if not for Asian viewership, it's getting huge there.

Best comparison I heard was if you took the top decathlete and had them compete in just one of the events against the best in the world at that event. That's what McGregor v Mayweather was 

That fight was no ten rounder, it was maybe a three rounder that went on that long because Mayweather fought him as he would any experienced boxer, defensively, he wore him down. But if McGregor had the misfortune of landing in the ring with a riskier fighter like Danny Garcia, he probably would have been KO by the second. Mayweather wins, but he tends to make his opponents look good while doing it.

I think that McGregor is probably done in MMA now, why would he want to go back to MMA and get the tar beat out of him for no money? He can milk this train for another few ham and eggers, probably good for another few tens of millions over the next few years without having to go into the octagon with maniacs. And McGregor is no Floyd Mayweather, he'll need the steady stream of cash. Mayweather invests in Burger King franchises, cannabis stores, cryptocurrency and medical stocks. McGregor buys Lambos, custom suits and overpriced white elephant Irish castles. Bobby Lashley nailed it back before the fight ...

2 hours ago, mikewof said:

And McGregor is no Floyd Mayweather, he'll need the steady stream of cash. Mayweather invests in Burger King franchises, cannabis stores, cryptocurrency and medical stocks. McGregor buys Lambos, custom suits and overpriced white elephant Irish castles. 

Meh. Floyd has his fair share of fancy cars.

6 minutes ago, Battlecheese said:

Meh. Floyd has his fair share of fancy cars.

True. But he invests his winnings like Warren Buffett. McGregor's idea of an investment is apparently a new Gucci jockstrap.

Fighters in the UFC are on contracts that encompass many years or fights. Some do get a profit share of fights but not many. Also have to remember most of the UFC guys only fight 2-3 times a year. Yes always training but still! 

9 hours ago, mikewof said:

True. But he invests his winnings like Warren Buffett. McGregor's idea of an investment is apparently a new Gucci jockstrap.

He is a degenerate gambler who is so broke he can't pay his previous taxes without this payday. Where do you come up with this shrewd businessman angle.

2 hours ago, chinabald said:

He is a degenerate gambler who is so broke he can't pay his previous taxes without this payday. Where do you come up with this shrewd businessman angle.

Mayweather owed $20 million on a tax lien, he could have paid that off with his Burger King endorsement. 

Yes, he's a shrewd businessman, he made north of $150 million on a fight.

20 hours ago, mikewof said:

On average, about 10x more than he could make at the top levels of MMA. But those U.S. paydays are going fast, young people are losing interest in boxing here, even with promotions like this. That 10x wouldn't be possible if not for Asian viewership, it's getting huge there.

No. He would have to be a top-ranked boxer to make that in boxing. He only got this pay-day because he's a top-ranked MMA guy. 

He will probably stick with MMA too. The purses may be small but it's already bigger than boxing in the US. He's a born competitor so I think it unlikely at his age that he has lost all desire to kick hineys. He also has huge largely untapped potential as an entertainer...the kid's got charisma...but he must remain a "winner" to tap it. If he can do that and find a good grill to sell he might even make as much as George Foreman someday. 

6 hours ago, mikewof said:

Mayweather owed $20 million on a tax lien, he could have paid that off with his Burger King endorsement. 

Yes, he's a shrewd businessman, he made north of $150 million on a fight.

So why didn't he? Is it because he doesn't actually have the money anymore? As for the fight payoff. Just because someone you hire negotiates well doesn't make you a good negotiator. 

19 hours ago, mikewof said:

Um, no he does not...  Have you ever seen the cash gun??  The man has not paid taxes ever???  so the govt is going to be into this one big..  BK was apparently really close before this fight, otherwise, why do it at 40???  Big gambler too.  tried to put 400,000 on himself in this fight,  $1.1 million on Oregon -7.5 over Arizona State in October 2012.
 $800,000 on the Denver Broncos -7.5 over the New York Jets in October 2014.
• $200,000 on the Golden State Warriors over the Houston Rockets straight-up in May 2015.

So no Mikie, he does not do the buffet stuff... at least not well...   

2 hours ago, Mark K said:

No. He would have to be a top-ranked boxer to make that in boxing. He only got this pay-day because he's a top-ranked MMA guy. 

He will probably stick with MMA too. The purses may be small but it's already bigger than boxing in the US. He's a born competitor so I think it unlikely at his age that he has lost all desire to kick hineys. He also has huge largely untapped potential as an entertainer...the kid's got charisma...but he must remain a "winner" to tap it. If he can do that and find a good grill to sell he might even make as much as George Foreman someday. 

It's changing, but MMA purses were about 1/10 of boxing purses. And aren't all top fighters born competitors? I think that the days of getting clobbered in the octagon are soon over for McM, why would he bother with that insanity anymore? Those guys are psychotic killers.

11 minutes ago, mikewof said:

It's changing, but MMA purses were about 1/10 of boxing purses. And aren't all top fighters born competitors? I think that the days of getting clobbered in the octagon are over for McM, why would he bother with that insanity anymore? Those guys are psychotic killers.

Did you even read my post? It was about how the big money is made with endorsements and gained fame. Killers? How many have died in an MMA ring?? In the area of brain damage MMA fighters may even experience less than in boxing. They don't have to spend 99% of their time attempting to inflict it. Time will reveal if old MMA fighters sound like old boxers do. 

Fact is all these "martial arts" are sport. All the real stuff is spectator-unfriendly. To the death is usually over damn quick, somebody gets their eyes gouged out or their nuts ripped off or is crippled in some way or another before very long at all. The Romans used to schedule a whole bunch of them at one sitting so it filled the available time-slot. 

1 hour ago, shaggy said:

Um, no he does not...  Have you ever seen the cash gun??  The man has not paid taxes ever???  so the govt is going to be into this one big..  BK was apparently really close before this fight, otherwise, why do it at 40???  Big gambler too.  tried to put 400,000 on himself in this fight,  $1.1 million on Oregon -7.5 over Arizona State in October 2012.
 $800,000 on the Denver Broncos -7.5 over the New York Jets in October 2014.
• $200,000 on the Golden State Warriors over the Houston Rockets straight-up in May 2015.

So no Mikie, he does not do the buffet stuff... at least not well...   

I don't know his personal finances, but his pre-tax on this fight came to about $130 million, and he's good for some $30 million a year in sponsorships. He's no idiot to have engineered a career like that for himself for essentially middling offensive skills. Back in the day people didn't like to watch defensive fighters because they are boring, Mayweather made it work with all that ridiculous bravado. The man rarely puts on a show in the ring. He wins, but it's like watching ice melt sometimes.

And he found a way to make it pay. Forbes clocked him at $300 million a year back in his prime. Okay, he's no Warren Buffet, but it's silly to paint him as the boxing equivalent of Snuffy Smith.

17 minutes ago, mikewof said:

Okay, he's no Warren Buffet, but it's silly to paint him as the boxing equivalent of Snuffy Smith.

Crickey, I haventte hearde that name in millione yeares.                  :)

30 minutes ago, Mark K said:

Did you even read my post? It was about how the big money is made with endorsements and gained fame. Killers? How many have died in an MMA ring?? In the area of brain damage MMA fighters may even experience less than in boxing. They don't have to spend 99% of their time attempting to inflict it. Time will reveal if old MMA fighters sound like old boxers do. 

Fact is all these "martial arts" are sport. All the real stuff is spectator-unfriendly. To the death is usually over damn quick, somebody gets their eyes gouged out or their nuts ripped off or is crippled in some way or another before very long at all. The Romans used to schedule a whole bunch of them at one sitting so it filled the available time-slot. 

To be fair, I find that the ladies are far more ruthless in the octagon than the men. But yeah, they're freaking nuts those kids. It's like if Muhammad Ali first stood goading his opponent to get up, and then after a millisecond of waiting he just started kicking the shit out of him.

You want to compare the brain damage ... lots of MMA ends up a hugging grappling match which tends not to inflict brain injury, and then when they're on their feet, the kicks are often so effective that it's a KO. But boxing is designed to be entertaining, round after round, and the target more often than not is the head. Fifteen minutes or more of getting the brain methodically slapped against the inside of the skull. I don't think time will tell, I think that boxing is worse.

But MMA fighters seem to have a kind of hatred for each other. I grew up with boxing, I'm a little biased. I wrestled too, wasn't good, but I tried. Boxers were unfailingly respectful of each other in sparring, but wrestlers were bitchy to each other. They would fuck with their weigh-ins, try to break joints on the mat. I watched some asshole deliberately break our State heavyweight's wrist in practice. Didn't give a rat's ass about the team, he just wanted his spot.

You're right about actual fights, when there are no rules those fights are over fast, even pros can't prepare themselves for some committed psychopath with a knife or a desire to gouge some eyes. Maybe Tyson could handle a street fight, but not too many others I'll bet.

Perhaps it might help to remember what real boxing used to look like.........

On 8/24/2017 at 6:06 AM, Last Post said:

Eds obviously paying you too much.

Maybe, fortunately the bet I made on Conor winning 2 or more rounds more than made up for what I dropped on the KO bet

1 hour ago, Point Break said:

On 8/28/2017 at 0:23 AM, blunderfull said:

But, really, Conor can't box and the bout was a clown show from the first pawing, club punch he threw.  One of the ugliest stances I've ever seen from a name 'boxer'.  Stick to MMA bro.

Mayerweather got his $$ and everyone else gaga how smart Dana White is.  Genius to pull off a hustle like that.

That's cute.  Conor lands more punches than Canelo, heavier punches than Pacquiao, but he can't box.  Hell of an analysis!

On 8/29/2017 at 1:34 AM, mikewof said:

That fight was no ten rounder, it was maybe a three rounder that went on that long because Mayweather fought him as he would any experienced boxer, defensively, he wore him down. But if McGregor had the misfortune of landing in the ring with a riskier fighter like Danny Garcia, he probably would have been KO by the second. Mayweather wins, but he tends to make his opponents look good while doing it.

I think that McGregor is probably done in MMA now, why would he want to go back to MMA and get the tar beat out of him for no money? He can milk this train for another few ham and eggers, probably good for another few tens of millions over the next few years without having to go into the octagon with maniacs. And McGregor is no Floyd Mayweather, he'll need the steady stream of cash. Mayweather invests in Burger King franchises, cannabis stores, cryptocurrency and medical stocks. McGregor buys Lambos, custom suits and overpriced white elephant Irish castles. Bobby Lashley nailed it back before the fight ...

Bobby Lashley!  Now that is a good name.  He should fight Meathead for the title.  Or another ancient...Fedor!

Bobby Lashley...you really got me grinning now wofsey.

Meanwhile, Conor will take an ownership stake in the UFC now if they ever want him to fight again.  Another win.

6 hours ago, MR.CLEAN said:

That's cute.  Conor lands more punches than Canelo, heavier punches than Pacquiao, but he can't box.  Hell of an analysis!

Lands more punches than a 23 y.o. in the biggest fight of his career agst prime-time Floyd?  Canelo looked lost at times in that fight.  Throwing more punches sure did your homie a lotta  good that nite.  And Canelo finished with his hands up and throwing.  Your guy?  Please.

Pacquiao was hiding a blown shoulder and drugged out most likely.  Still fighting those charges to this day.  Not exactly saying much comparing Pacquiao that nite to Macgregor.

And your boy still has a contract with UFC for two more fights before he takes "ownership stake." 

On 8/27/2017 at 4:23 PM, blunderfull said:

You must be too young to have seen the old "Archie Moore". Ken Norton used it a lot. Right arm wrapped around your chin, shoulder hunched up for added protection, left out jabbing and hooking, all while stepping forward with the left foot and dragging the right behind like Quasimodo. Pegged the fugly meter. IIRC, Norton was a southy so he did it backwards. It did extend George Foreman's career about a decade though. "If ya got a jab it's an easy game", he used to say. 

9 hours ago, Point Break said:

Perhaps it might help to remember what real boxing used to look like.........

I remember that fight, what a brutal mess that was, someone in school had a VHS copy of it, grainy and jittery, we had to keep playing with the tracking knob to keep it stable. But how many times we rewound that tape, just trying to absorb it all. Mayweather doesn't have an ounce of the gunpowder that those titans had, I bet that either one of them could have taken Mayweather. Even Pretty Boy can't deflect a hook that changes direction mid-flight. And they were both doing it, they had to, to have a chance to connect. Those two fought like Swiss Watches, precise. Duran too.

7 hours ago, MR.CLEAN said:

Meanwhile, Conor will take an ownership stake in the UFC now if they ever want him to fight again.  Another win.

Yeah, that would be the only way that they would entice him to get back into those poundings. Cheaper than raising the MMA purses.