Halcyon Yachts

Whats the best yacht to cross the Atlantic on?

Recommended Posts

I have only crossed the Atlantic a few times but unless Poseidon favors Hanse Yachts I can think of many others,   Hanse 505 isn't a bad choice IMHO.  Out of available new 50 ish footers I would rank it mid tier for a transatlantic.    Very hard to pass up on the many, many lightly used euro yachts available for the same price as a new Hanse 505.  

X Yachts - Just about anything from Finland, Sweden is sweetness!   Actually  my IMHO brand for best all around bang for the Euro is a new semi custom Italia.  For the new boat buyer Italia is a definite sit down and put the deal on paper boat. Hanse isn't bad but there are better choices IMHO. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Anyone have any leads on companies that could do an Atlantic delivery for me?

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, MauiPunter said:

Anyone have any leads on companies that could do an Atlantic delivery for me?

SpamSail (see above) would be happy to have your business.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
3 hours ago, TwoLegged said:

SpamSail (see above) would be happy to have your business.

You missed my point.  Bwahahaha.  :ph34r:

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 minute ago, MauiPunter said:

You missed my point.  Bwahahaha.  :ph34r:

I didn't miss it.  I was just taking another opportunity to insult the people who are at least as good at delivering self-promotion as delivering boats :)

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Just now, TwoLegged said:

I didn't miss it.  I was just taking another opportunity to insult the people who are at least as good at delivering self-promotion as delivering boats :)

Touche'

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 minute ago, Fah Kiew Tu said:

 

Yeah, but he was an Australian....

FKT

and only an aussie would consider it good luck to spend WW2 fixing toilets in india of all places right..............

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
4 hours ago, TwoLegged said:

I didn't miss it.  I was just taking another opportunity to insult the people who are at least as good at delivering self-promotion as delivering boats :)

See?! Now that's why I expect the best! 

No offense Maui, it has nothing to do with you...

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
11 minutes ago, 167149 said:

and only an aussie would consider it good luck to spend WW2 fixing toilets in india of all places right..............

Compared to some other places you could have spent WW2 - maybe.

Point was, for those who are slow, only an Aussie would be idiotic enough to attempt to take a jeep across the Atlantic....

I've got copies of both his books in my library. I was utterly amazed at the forbearance of his wife and the length of time it took her to divorce Ben.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Yep took me a while to find the 2nd book, and we've all had those "hold my beer and watch THIS" moments but he was right, it could be done, and they looked quite the contented couple stopped mid atlantic having a fag break while giving the jeep a valve grind

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
23 minutes ago, Sail4beer said:

See?! Now that's why I expect the best! 

No offense Maui, it has nothing to do with you...

tks :D

Sorry, Maui, it would take too long to explain.  Spillover from another thread.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
54 minutes ago, TwoLegged said:

tks :D

Sorry, Maui, it would take too long to explain.  Spillover from another thread.

ALERT!  Cross Contamination!  ALERT!

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 8/18/2017 at 9:06 PM, Matagi said:

1e9d1e_211183dc22d35875ae78eff9f45e9a2e.

you in for a delivery job?

Brilliant. I am sure I could do a deal for him. No strings attached! 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 8/18/2017 at 10:10 PM, Kent H said:

I have only crossed the Atlantic a few times but unless Poseidon favors Hanse Yachts I can think of many others,   Hanse 505 isn't a bad choice IMHO.  Out of available new 50 ish footers I would rank it mid tier for a transatlantic.    Very hard to pass up on the many, many lightly used euro yachts available for the same price as a new Hanse 505.  

X Yachts - Just about anything from Finland, Sweden is sweetness!   Actually  my IMHO brand for best all around bang for the Euro is a new semi custom Italia.  For the new boat buyer Italia is a definite sit down and put the deal on paper boat. Hanse isn't bad but there are better choices IMHO. 

Yes, some great boats from Scandinavia.

We crossed last year on a Rustler 42 - that was pretty nice!

Pete

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 18 August 2017 at 5:10 PM, Halcyon Yachts said:

We did it recently on a Hanse 505. Fast, comfortable and seaworthy...

Here is the film: http://youtu.be/-XokO3rgp9g

What would be your ideal yacht to do it on?

Pete

Hi Pete - All the boys said to say hi to your wife. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now