sshow bob

Newport - Bermuda 2018

Super early, I know, but I'm looking for a ride.  I'm willing to invest time to help prep the boat, and to help defray costs.  PM me, please, if you have a berth, or know someone who does.

Solution - put a batten on the end of the sprit and add it to your LOA. 

Except using Personal AIS is possibly the best way to find an MOB - especially at night. 

Sure it's expensive but I think it's a pretty good idea.  I have a personal EPIRB that I got for Christmas a few year's back but leave it at the nav station because carrying it for an MOB seems pretty pointless on a fully crewed boat.

It seems like this is the sort of thing where the BROC  could generate some goodwill by organizing some sort of discounted group purchase of PLBs. Hell, STC, your local yacht club, your class, etc. could probably work out the same thing.

Right now Landfall has the McMurdo Smartfind S20 for $180.  Even without any further discounting, that's a pretty good deal.

http://www.landfallnavigation.com/kannadsafelink.html

The idea of a group purchase is great. We need at on our boat...

Any retailers interested in structuring something? Maybe an SA discount?

There is someone on this site that does it.  Shoot me a PM and he can probably order you a bunch.  He also rents them out. 

Is anyone following the changes in Safety at Sea requirements? It seems that the 2 day USS SAS in water course is not enough. We must have 2 on board who have the "hands on" ISAF survival at sea course, $470 thank you very much. When we asked about the giant incremental gain over the satisfactory course 2 years ago we were told, well one year they sprayed everyone with a fire hose as they were boarding the liferaft.

It is unclear why the courses taken before the 2016 event consisting of classroom and in water training that are valid for 5 years cannot meet this new heightened requirement. It feels like a money grab. $470. Plus, for those of us stuck in the middle of the country, it will involve air travel and a weekend away. Boat won't even be in the water yet.

On 12/1/2017 at 2:28 PM, Lono said:

Is anyone following the changes in Safety at Sea requirements? It seems that the 2 day USS SAS in water course is not enough. We must have 2 on board who have the "hands on" ISAF survival at sea course, $470 thank you very much. When we asked about the giant incremental gain over the satisfactory course 2 years ago we were told, well one year they sprayed everyone with a fire hose as they were boarding the liferaft.

It is unclear why the courses taken before the 2016 event consisting of classroom and in water training that are valid for 5 years cannot meet this new heightened requirement. It feels like a money grab. $470. Plus, for those of us stuck in the middle of the country, it will involve air travel and a weekend away. Boat won't even be in the water yet.

Are you sure you got it right?  I did my last 2 day SAS (a USS SAS done at the Naval Academy) and I have a cert that says World Sailing approved Personal Survival Course

Seems to be just fine with the NB safety reqs:

Safety At Sea Seminar Attendance: At least 30% but not fewer than two members of the crew, including the Person-In-Charge and Navigator or a Watch Captain shall have attended a one-day or two-day US Sailing Offshore Safety at Sea Seminar. At least two members of the crew must hold a World Sailing Approved Offshore Personal Survival Course Certificate. Any certificate obtained more than five (5) years prior to the start of the race or as a result of exclusively internet-based training will not be acceptable for the purposes of this paragraph.

If someone needs crew that doesn't oversell their abilities, is happy to eat MREs, can handle any job on the yacht and wants to win above all else drop me a message. (I've also done the race and should qualify as the ships doc again. HA!)

1 hour ago, sshow bob said:

I am - found a ride!

Are you going as the advisor/parent to the kids ?!?!

No, I'm not.  I would probably have accepted that invitation, but it was not forthcoming.  I was offered a ride off the crew match list on the race website.  I haven't done this race before, so I'm very excited.  Selma will come to Bermuda and sail home after the race, which is also really exciting for us.

Fantastic.  Good luck.

21 hours ago, Christian said:

Are you sure you got it right?  I did my last 2 day SAS (a USS SAS done at the Naval Academy) and I have a cert that says World Sailing approved Personal Survival Course

Seems to be just fine with the NB safety reqs:

Safety At Sea Seminar Attendance: At least 30% but not fewer than two members of the crew, including the Person-In-Charge and Navigator or a Watch Captain shall have attended a one-day or two-day US Sailing Offshore Safety at Sea Seminar. At least two members of the crew must hold a World Sailing Approved Offshore Personal Survival Course Certificate. Any certificate obtained more than five (5) years prior to the start of the race or as a result of exclusively internet-based training will not be acceptable for the purposes of this paragraph.

Yep, after a dozen e mails we sorted it out. The issue was USS's error.

On 2/1/2018 at 3:14 PM, sshow bob said:

Lono, "Yep" in which direction? 

USS had miscoded the qualifications from 2 years ago to indicate that we had not completed the "in water" portion of the 2 day program. We sorted it out and after review our SAS certs were accepted for the ISAF (World Sailing) Offshore Survival requirements, of which we are required to have 2 on board. Long and short is that the former 2 day in water SAS course provided by USS qualifies, as long as it will still be current at race time.

I was not complaining about the requirement, merely that our certifications were initially rejected when that seemed wrong.

On 2/2/2018 at 2:40 PM, crashtestdummy said:

That is 2016. Anyone receive 2018 invitation yet?

yes

I'm in this year. Was supposed to do it on Toothface in 16 but Murphness Jr. decided to come a month early, and I had to bail 2 weeks before the start!

No chance of that this time around thankfully!

Murph, what boat?  I'm in as well.  I'll be in Newport for the VOR stopover as well if you want to grab a beer. 

Nice! Siren - RP 57. You?

Definitely on the beer. When do you arrive?

1 hour ago, Murphness said:

Nice! Siren - RP 57. You?

Definitely on the beer. When do you arrive?

Are you guys going to finish spelling "Wankers" this year?

Qz7ewMF.jpg 

1 hour ago, jackolantern said:

Are you guys going to finish spelling "Wankers" this year?

Qz7ewMF.jpg 

HA! I wasn't on the boat that year. We were pulling our hair out at home watching that though... That was a rough call to say the least.

lol nice.  

I'm on the Farr 400 and praying for decent conditions. I'll shoot you a PM with dates I'll be in town.  I think I'll be up there 3-5 times this season.   

The lower limit of 58 feet for the Multihull class sure sounds like anti-Fujin tactics..