• Announcements

• Zapata

Abbreviated rules   07/28/2017

Underdawg did an excellent job of explaining the rules.  Here's the simplified version: Don't insinuate Pedo.  Warning and or timeout for a first offense.  PermaFlick for any subsequent offenses Don't out members.  See above for penalties.  Caveat:  if you have ever used your own real name or personal information here on the forums since, like, ever - it doesn't count and you are fair game. If you see spam posts, report it to the mods.  We do not hang out in every thread 24/7 If you see any of the above, report it to the mods by hitting the Report button in the offending post.   We do not take action for foul language, off-subject content, or abusive behavior unless it escalates to persistent stalking.  There may be times that we might warn someone or flick someone for something particularly egregious.  There is no standard, we will know it when we see it.  If you continually report things that do not fall into rules #1 or 2 above, you may very well get a timeout yourself for annoying the Mods with repeated whining.  Use your best judgement. Warnings, timeouts, suspensions and flicks are arbitrary and capricious.  Deal with it.  Welcome to anarchy.   If you are a newbie, there are unwritten rules to adhere to.  They will be explained to you soon enough.  
Shootist Jeff

Best Tablet based race app for tactician

26 posts in this topic

What is the recommendation for a tablet based (iPad or iPhone) app/program for inshore racing?  I'm looking for something that will give time to the start line, time/distance to laylines, favored tack, VMG, etc.  

Something that would wirelessly or bluetooth tie into the boat instruments, but could also operate as a standalone unit using just its own GPS.  

IRegatta at low end,

VentusPro to Expedition at the high end. 

7 hours ago, LionessRacing said:

IRegatta at low end,

VentusPro to Expedition at the high end. 

Thanks, I'll check them out.  Any personal experience with any of the above?

Expedition to Ventus Pro works very well

the expedition startline functions are superior to everything else - but also much more complicated

just guessing, but i don't get the sense you want to spend $1300 on this...

even though i have expedition and ventus, i still would like something simpler for when i don't have the laptop - like maybe iregatta

i have Iregatta, but haven't used it much. one thing i don't understand is the iregatta charting - it seems you need a subscription.., but can only view the charts when you have data service?

there is no caching of charts?

i understand that you can use the iregatta app for most of the tactical features without charts, but still.., that seems like a problem...

i guess i could run i regatta and inavx at the same time

2 hours ago, us7070 said:

there is no caching of charts?

so i just read the iregatta manual - it says there _is_ chart caching...

i wonder if they expire when your subscription (which can be monthly or yearly)  expires.., or if you just can't update them or get new ones when the subscription expires...

I use both also. VentusPro is superior in all respects, except that you do need Expedition. Not sure if it works with Adrena.  

Iregatta has one advantage if you don't have Exp. You can use it as a complete stand alone for pinging the ends of the start line and judging laylines on a closed course.  It can accept NMEA from the boats instruments or you can manually enter wind direction.  I tend not use the chart function for closed course racing.

Edit:  In regards to best tablet, I think that both programs only work with IOS.

6 hours ago, us7070 said:

just guessing, but i don't get the sense you want to spend $1300 on this...

$1300???  Ho Lee Fuk!

Just now, Shootist Jeff said:

$1300???  Ho Lee Fuk!

Assuming you have a boat laptop and decent instruments, this is a low end target.

1 hour ago, Hitchhiker said:

I use both also. VentusPro is superior in all respects, except that you do need Expedition. Not sure if it works with Adrena.  

Iregatta has one advantage if you don't have Exp. You can use it as a complete stand alone for pinging the ends of the start line and judging laylines on a closed course.  It can accept NMEA from the boats instruments or you can manually enter wind direction.  I tend not use the chart function for closed course racing.

Edit:  In regards to best tablet, I think that both programs only work with IOS.

iRegatta sounds like what I'm looking for.  Closed course racing only.  I don't care about charts at all.  Just something to ping the start line and more importantly the marks and gates.  Mainly, I'm really looking for something that can give me accurate VMG info for downwind so I can build some polars in different wind conditions.  Especially if its not dependent on wind instruments off the boat to do so.

2 minutes ago, james3232 said:

Assuming you have a boat laptop and decent instruments, this is a low end target.

I was looking to be able to use a mini-Ipad in the cockpit.  Or even an iPhone strapped to a forearm.

7 minutes ago, Shootist Jeff said:

$1300???  Ho Lee Fuk!

Expedition is $1295.00.  

Worth every penny, if you need a comprehensive offshore nav tool.

I was looking to be able to use a mini-Ipad in the cockpit.  Or even an iPhone strapped to a forearm.

iRegatta. There's no point looking anywhere else. If you want to do this properly you're going to need hardware for nmea to wifi at minimum.

3 minutes ago, Hitchhiker said:

Expedition is $1295.00.  

Worth every penny, if you need comprehensive offshore nav tool.

You obviously didn't bother to read the OP, did you?

2 minutes ago, james3232 said:

iRegatta. There's no point looking anywhere else. If you want to do this properly you're going to need hardware for nmea to wifi at minimum.

OK cool.  Thanks!

OK cool.  Thanks!

Realistically you can do it for 150

3 minutes ago, Shootist Jeff said:

You obviously didn't bother to read the OP, did you?

Yes I did.  Look at post #9 where you replied to me.

I was purely pointing out where the bulk of the $1300 was being spent.

Reading comprehension is not one of your interests!

If ya wanna go cheaper, samsung galaxy tab active- waterproof and shockproof.  Got one used on ebay for 125 bux.  Sailgrib has a lot of functionality at displaying instrument data if you get a wifi router onboard, also pretty cheap but not the start functionality of expedition. Also a decent router program. Sailrace.net has an app for android too. I use navionics for basic navigation in conjunction with sailgrib.  Total setup is under 300 bux.  It's really nice to be on deck and look at stuff while reviewing nav data live.  When the weather gets crappy i have to check the system below of course.

No doubt the most complete capability is with expedition but more expensive and diffcult to learn and maintain user fluency.  I have to relearn features after not using it in the offseason.  If you are interested in top end capability at high competition level and use it all the time, expedition is worth it.  If just club sailing with your buddies go android.

13 hours ago, Hitchhiker said:

Yes I did.  Look at post #9 where you replied to me.

I was purely pointing out where the bulk of the $1300 was being spent.

Reading comprehension is not one of your interests!

Ok, fair enough.  Apologies.  I was in need of a stiff drink after work when I wrote that one.....  Something to do with idiot drivers in rush hour traffic! :angry:

Loopy, thanks.  That looks really interesting.  

I've gone through the whole website, but still have a couple of quick questions about the Sailracer.net app

1. Obviously, it will work best if its getting data from the boat instruments through NMEA/wifi, etc.  How well does it work with it being stand-alone running on an ipad or iPhone?  I assume I can still get laylines and startbox information.
  2. Is an separate GPS receiver needed for required accuracy, or is the tablet GPS good enough?
  3. If no polar data is available for a 1-off boat, can manual polars be added?
  4. Can it help create polars?
  5. Its seems very start line oriented, how well does it work out on the course for shifts and predicting laylines at the top or bottom marks?
  6. How do you enter gate marks?  While you're going DW, do you just have to select which of the gate marks you're navigating to?  Or can it help tell you from a ways out which gate end is favored?  

And if it helps, I'm running a brand new Ipad mini or an Iphone 7s if that helps with the decision.

I'll probably copy this thread over to Gear Anarchy as there seems to be more tech discussions there.

Thanks in advance!  

Using iRegatta Pro.

Got a cheap nmea wifi box and coupled with ST60multi to receive wind/waterspeed (since NMEA conversion is limited with multi) info, the rest is coming from ipad/iregatta. I found price/performance well as you guess these electronic thingys always some error/precision/calibration matters. Anyhow it tells me enough for start and tack/gybes,vmg,vmC and estimated TWD etc.. I've also uploaded my polar. So very convinient for me.

irrelevant of software/app, the gadget display may not be seen under bright sun better to check if you buy something new to use.

my 2 cent. Fair winds.

PS:No relation just a happy user.

29 minutes ago, aquax said:

Using iRegatta Pro.

Got a cheap nmea wifi box and coupled with ST60multi to receive wind/waterspeed (since NMEA conversion is limited with multi) info, the rest is coming from ipad/iregatta. I found price/performance well as you guess these electronic thingys always some error/precision/calibration matters. Anyhow it tells me enough for start and tack/gybes,vmg,vmC and estimated TWD etc.. I've also uploaded my polar. So very convinient for me.

irrelevant of software/app, the gadget display may not be seen under bright sun better to check if you buy something new to use.

my 2 cent. Fair winds.

PS:No relation just a happy user.

So i use both on 2 different boats I race on.  For my personal boat, I've got NMEA in to a wifi out (this is all through B&G/Simrad stuff) and use Iregatta Pro and Inavx etc on my phone and ipad minis.  I think it's a really good cheap place to start (you can get this going for under 300 bucks).  For the boat I race on, we have Ventus and the B&G GoFree app as a repeater and the VMG/VMC/Polar % pulling data from Expedition is very accurate.  In general, for around the cans, Iregatta with NMEA data works quite well.  For any sort of distance racing, the Expedition with iridium/sirius weather data is unbeatable.

I totally agree with Aquax.  For what you're doing, go with iregatta.  It's cheap, reasonably simple setup and works quite well.  Check and see if they have polars already for your boat because making the file can be sort of tedious.  The NMEA multiplexer can be a pain (depending on your instruments), so get a good one that has customer support...

4 hours ago, Shootist Jeff said:

Loopy, thanks.  That looks really interesting.  

I've gone through the whole website, but still have a couple of quick questions about the Sailracer.net app

1. Obviously, it will work best if its getting data from the boat instruments through NMEA/wifi, etc.  How well does it work with it being stand-alone running on an ipad or iPhone?  I assume I can still get laylines and startbox information.
  2. Is an separate GPS receiver needed for required accuracy, or is the tablet GPS good enough?
  3. If no polar data is available for a 1-off boat, can manual polars be added?
  4. Can it help create polars?
  5. Its seems very start line oriented, how well does it work out on the course for shifts and predicting laylines at the top or bottom marks?
  6. How do you enter gate marks?  While you're going DW, do you just have to select which of the gate marks you're navigating to?  Or can it help tell you from a ways out which gate end is favored?  

And if it helps, I'm running a brand new Ipad mini or an Iphone 7s if that helps with the decision.

I'll probably copy this thread over to Gear Anarchy as there seems to be more tech discussions there.

Thanks in advance!  

I don't have any user experience with it, but I too thought it looked interesting.  I was exposed to it at a regatta and have looked at it briefly a few times since then.  

My impression was it is primarily or best used to track/find shifts on the course.  

It's a stand alone unit that connects to your device via bluetooth, so no need to install routers or connect to computers etc.  

For the rest I'd suggest opening dialog with the company.  And then reporting back here and let us know what you find and what you think about it/them.  

We use Navionics app on ipad and if you have a wifi chartplotter it will talk wireleslessly with the chartplotter.  The app is perfect because you can move the ipad/iphone/android device (whichever you prefer to use) around the boat to wherever you need it. You can lay out routes, etc from home before the race, the tracking will give you time to destination, heading, your fastest speed, total time and lots more. After you're done you can save your track and keep a log.  I attached some screenshots for your reference.  

This link describes what is included in the app: https://www.navionics.com/usa/apps/navionics-boating

Screenshot_20170823-123812.png

Screenshot_20170823-123833.png

1 hour ago, SailNDive said:

We use Navionics app on ipad and if you have a wifi chartplotter it will talk wireleslessly with the chartplotter.  The app is perfect because you can move the ipad/iphone/android device (whichever you prefer to use) around the boat to wherever you need it. You can lay out routes, etc from home before the race, the tracking will give you time to destination, heading, your fastest speed, total time and lots more. After you're done you can save your track and keep a log.  I attached some screenshots for your reference.  

This link describes what is included in the app: https://www.navionics.com/usa/apps/navionics-boating

Screenshot_20170823-123812.png

Screenshot_20170823-123833.png

this doesn't seem to be all that useful for inshore W/L racing.

Go with IRegattaPro, and add features as you need them. 

Its very stable, well debugged (I was a VERY Early adopter...)  and has had regular feature enhancements over it's life. 

Shooting marks with the crossed bearings from the camera was one of the cuter ones.