• Announcements

• Zapata

Abbreviated rules   07/28/2017

Underdawg did an excellent job of explaining the rules.  Here's the simplified version: Don't insinuate Pedo.  Warning and or timeout for a first offense.  PermaFlick for any subsequent offenses Don't out members.  See above for penalties.  Caveat:  if you have ever used your own real name or personal information here on the forums since, like, ever - it doesn't count and you are fair game. If you see spam posts, report it to the mods.  We do not hang out in every thread 24/7 If you see any of the above, report it to the mods by hitting the Report button in the offending post.   We do not take action for foul language, off-subject content, or abusive behavior unless it escalates to persistent stalking.  There may be times that we might warn someone or flick someone for something particularly egregious.  There is no standard, we will know it when we see it.  If you continually report things that do not fall into rules #1 or 2 above, you may very well get a timeout yourself for annoying the Mods with repeated whining.  Use your best judgement. Warnings, timeouts, suspensions and flicks are arbitrary and capricious.  Deal with it.  Welcome to anarchy.   If you are a newbie, there are unwritten rules to adhere to.  They will be explained to you soon enough.  
DDW

Stern tying in Desolation Sound - how to....

Heck you could back right in there.

There is a cleat hidden in the bush :ph34r:

Last week I tied to a huge log way up the beach. The tide came in, then in some more. Eventually I looked back and discovered I was towing a log. Had to go back and tie to a log even further up the beach. 

On 8/19/2017 at 9:02 AM, DDW said:

Last week I tied to a huge log way up the beach. The tide came in, then in some more. Eventually I looked back and discovered I was towing a log. Had to go back and tie to a log even further up the beach. 

I see this from time to time at our beach. Tie to a log, that's a good idea. We have some "resident " logs that work. The rest? No.

That's a different approach. Normally, powerboats run out 800 feet of stern tie line so they sit in the middle and fuck everyone else while thinking they are making room. Not on purpose, of course, just because they are all clueless.

In the cluelessness category, my wife has been complaining about the light pollution from the powerboats. We were trying to stargaze and where pretty much blinded by the powerboat anchor lights. The sailboats all seem to have something conservative and not too power hungry. Some of the power boats are using 1000 watt security lights or something. It would have been pretty dark on Lasqueti, not many lights on shore (no BC Power there) but one powerboat pretty much lit the whole anchorage with it's anchor light. 

Not even mentioning the penis power boats with the underwater movie lights. 

54 minutes ago, DDW said:

In the cluelessness category, my wife has been complaining about the light pollution from the powerboats. We were trying to stargaze and where pretty much blinded by the powerboat anchor lights. The sailboats all seem to have something conservative and not too power hungry. Some of the power boats are using 1000 watt security lights or something. It would have been pretty dark on Lasqueti, not many lights on shore (no BC Power there) but one powerboat pretty much lit the whole anchorage with it's anchor light. 

A silenced 22LR would solve at least some of those problems. Even an un-silenced one.

FKT

Even a nice pellet gun would have solved the problem. But they don't much care for guns up here. 

2 hours ago, DDW said:

Even a nice pellet gun would have solved the problem. But they don't much care for guns up here. 

How about one of those really high-power spotlights coupled with a laser pointer?

Seems to me that anyone running that much lighting is also going to be running a generator so a double hit - noise and light pollution. Probably better to just move somewhere else.

FKT

Take a short length of chain...perhaps two meters of 10mm....tie a fat knot in one end...wedge this chain knot between rocks...tie a light  stern line to this chain .  

The chain knot  can get wedged in tight so bring a chunk of wood, hammer  or steel pipe to bash it free when its time to pick up gear.  In some instance a mini anchor...bruce or mushroom...is  suitable for wedging between rocks.

never tie to trees...never. 

always anchor the yacht first...set the anchor firm ....then launch the tender with stern line.

the stern line is first fixed to shore , then brought to the boat with the tender .

tender work is best a two man job...one manning the tender and keeping it from being damaged on the rocks...the second crew scrambles ontothe rocks to make fast.

if you must work single handed....coil the stern  line into the tender.... Fasten it end to the tender...then scramble ashore with the rope end ....once ashore give the tender a good push offshore so that it floats free of the rocks....make your stern line fast to a rock or whatever  ...then pull on the stern line and retrieve your tender. 

Always motor back to the yacht in reverse....outboard tenders track precisely  in reverse and you have no chance of fouling the tender prop.

always put a strobe light and orange ball on your stern line to mark it.   Light near the boat...ball near the rocks 

avoid floating lines...they are a menace to navigation .  When the weather turns or a boat drags into you and you must evacuate the anchorage fast...... You will simply dump you stern line into the sea.

floating lines. Will foul you or other boat trying to escape the anchorage . 

Been cruising Desolation since I was 10 years old and I've never heard of any method other than looping the stern line around a tree and either taking it back to the boat to a cleat, or tying a long bowline that can be untied without a 2nd scramble up the rocks.

Many spots in Deso have short lines that have been left by helpful boaters that are tied around trees and reach the shoreline with a loop that you can pass your line through.

Just my experience, maybe I and everyone I know have always been doing it wrong, but have never heard of or seen the chain method.

3 hours ago, slug zitski said:

Take a short length of chain...perhaps two meters of 10mm....tie a fat knot in one end...wedge this chain knot between rocks...tie a light  stern line to this chain .  

The chain knot  can get wedged in tight so bring a chunk of wood, hammer  or steel pipe to bash it free when its time to pick up gear.  In some instance a mini anchor...bruce or mushroom...is  suitable for wedging between rocks.

never tie to trees...never. 

always anchor the yacht first...set the anchor firm ....then launch the tender with stern line.

the stern line is first fixed to shore , then brought to the boat with the tender .

We tie the stern line to the mothership, take the line to shore and around or through something, then take back to the boat. This way you don't have to go back to shore to untie. We have short lengths of line we can tie around a tree or rock that we don't mind leaving behind for the next person.

tender work is best a two man job...one manning the tender and keeping it from being damaged on the rocks...the second crew scrambles ontothe rocks to make fast.

If you are only two, it is far better to leave one on the mothership to hold position.

if you must work single handed....coil the stern  line into the tender.... Fasten it end to the tender...then scramble ashore with the rope end ....once ashore give the tender a good push offshore so that it floats free of the rocks....make your stern line fast to a rock or whatever  ...then pull on the stern line and retrieve your tender. 

Always motor back to the yacht in reverse....outboard tenders track precisely  in reverse and you have no chance of fouling the tender prop.

I pull the dinghy back to the mothership using the outgoing stern line. No point in rowing or motoring.

always put a strobe light and orange ball on your stern line to mark it.   Light near the boat...ball near the rocks 

Overkill where I sail.

avoid floating lines...they are a menace to navigation .  When the weather turns or a boat drags into you and you must evacuate the anchorage fast...... You will simply dump you stern line into the sea.

Use a floating line since you don't have to dump it off the mothership...since you are looped around something on shore. Idiots will drive over it otherwise.

floating lines. Will foul you or other boat trying to escape the anchorage . 

If its not floating the stern line fouls on all the shore boulders holding the vessel at bad angles and it chafes the line. 

There were several spots where you could just nose the boat up to the rock, have a crew pass a line through the chain or ring, then back off and anchor. I didn't have the balls to try it, but with a cheaper boat I might have. 

Solo, I leave the boat in reverse,jump in the dinghy with the line tied to the boat, scull to shore from the bow, and pull myself back like Ish mentioned.

I watch the boat for a minute in reverse before I commit. 

I have a couple  fav spots I have scouted to back right in and easy tie. 

A walk thru  stern makes it very easy for me to do it quick,though.

I took the 70'er MERIDIAN up there with my wife and kids. I had never moored like that before.  I didn't have any problems. People here are making it sound complicated. A little common sense and seamanship should be enough to handle it.

7 hours ago, DDW said:

There were several spots where you could just nose the boat up to the rock, have a crew pass a line through the chain or ring, then back off and anchor. I didn't have the balls to try it, but with a cheaper boat I might have. 

A friend on my Shark.

4ckYSTl.jpg

That was a long, long time ago. RIP Len.

On 8/21/2017 at 9:07 PM, DDW said:

I'm really glad we made the trip to Alaska this summer for this exact reason.  We have anchored almost every night in a cove alone.  Now if it hadn't rained damn near every fucking night since we left Anacortes in April we would have had some amazing stargazing this summer!