• Announcements

• Zapata

Abbreviated rules   07/28/2017

Underdawg did an excellent job of explaining the rules.  Here's the simplified version: Don't insinuate Pedo.  Warning and or timeout for a first offense.  PermaFlick for any subsequent offenses Don't out members.  See above for penalties.  Caveat:  if you have ever used your own real name or personal information here on the forums since, like, ever - it doesn't count and you are fair game. If you see spam posts, report it to the mods.  We do not hang out in every thread 24/7 If you see any of the above, report it to the mods by hitting the Report button in the offending post.   We do not take action for foul language, off-subject content, or abusive behavior unless it escalates to persistent stalking.  There may be times that we might warn someone or flick someone for something particularly egregious.  There is no standard, we will know it when we see it.  If you continually report things that do not fall into rules #1 or 2 above, you may very well get a timeout yourself for annoying the Mods with repeated whining.  Use your best judgement. Warnings, timeouts, suspensions and flicks are arbitrary and capricious.  Deal with it.  Welcome to anarchy.   If you are a newbie, there are unwritten rules to adhere to.  They will be explained to you soon enough.  
Sign in to follow this  
sailronin

USS Indianapolis discovered

Hello All,

Not exactly sailing but the USS Indianapolis was discovered in 5,400 meters of water in the Philippine Sea. This is the US cruiser (CA 35) which delivered the Hiroshima bomb to Tinian atoll and was sunk on her way back to Guam by a Japanese submarine (the story in Jaws). The CNN link is posted below.  This is a Paul G Allen and Vulcan project which I've been working on for several months.

http://www.cnn.com/2017/08/19/us/uss-indianapolis-wreckage-found/index.html

I feel bad for the sailors and their fate. I'm glad the wreck is located and the survivors can have some closure. 

Good reporting

About 253-and i'd kick their ass next week with my droopy boom main if they just gave me an honest rating!

2 hours ago, sailronin said:

Hello All,

Not exactly sailing but the USS Indianapolis was discovered in 5,400 meters of water in the Philippine Sea. This is the US cruiser (CA 35) which delivered the Hiroshima bomb to Tinian atoll and was sunk on her way back to Guam by a Japanese submarine (the story in Jaws). The CNN link is posted below.  This is a Paul G Allen and Vulcan project which I've been working on for several months.

Thanks for posting that here. Some people don't follow GA, thus significant naval news like this and the Fitz collision are appreciated. Whiners can just HTFU and not click on it if the don't want to read it.

2 hours ago, Legion of Modernrate Jack said:

Ages before this thread a respectful and some good linkage to background, was created there...

I didn't know about the thread "ages ago", but we found her yesterday...

They should post the coordinates.  Maybe Pacific sailors would like to throw a wreath when they pass the area. 

The coordinates were passed onto the US Navy, other than that they will not be disclosed. Even at those depths there is the possibility of "looting", take a look at what has happened to the Titanic site. Artifacts recovered, some for sale and "tours" offered in deep submersibles if you have deep enough pockets.

Read "Abandon Ship" like I did many years ago to receive an insight to the horror of what happened, and the saga of those who survived.  Other books available that tell the story as well.

Like the titanic its prurient interest that fuels this kind of silly pointless expenditure of resources to dig up something that just plain deserves to lie in peace. Leave it buried and focus on the good that came out of the event. There was no mystery to be solved here. Torpedos sunk a ship in wartime. I may have the wrong incident but I believe this incident inspired the us navy to begin using elements of the outward bound formula to indoctrinate and train sailors to understand that they can stay alive even without flotation for an extended period time dependent upon conditions.

Hi Chris,

I may be a bit biased but I believe the search for Indianapolis (and other marine archeology) was/is a worthwhile endeavor. At the last survivors meeting, all 14 men in attendance were strongly in support of efforts to locate the ship, to learn the final resting place of so many of their shipmates and friends.

There is a substantial expense (completely privately funded) in conducting an expedition such as this and there is no financial reward with success. 

18 hours ago, sailronin said:

Hi Chris,

I may be a bit biased but I believe tin search for Indianapolis ( and other marine archeology) was/is a worthwhile endeavor. At the last survivors meeting, all 14 men in attendance were strongly in support of efforts to locate the ship, to learn the final resting place of so many of their shipmates and friends.

There is a substantial expense (completely privately funded) in conducting an expedition such as this and there is no financial reward with success. 

I mistook It for something else and shot from the hip. Thanks for adding some context In such a gentlemanly manner.

On 8/20/2017 at 6:58 PM, Swabbie said:

Good idea. And maybe it still attracts fish as well. 

Keep trolling, disrespectful  D bag

On 8/20/2017 at 11:53 PM, Chris in Santa Cruz, CA said:

Like the titanic its prurient interest that fuels this kind of silly pointless expenditure of resources ...

The Titanic search was in fact cover for USN funded deep sea recovery efforts of the Thresher and Scorpion wrecks...

http://news.nationalgeographic.com/news/2008/06/080602-titanic-secret.html

The 1985 discovery of the Titanic stemmed from a secret United States Navy investigation of two wrecked nuclear submarines, according to the oceanographer who found the infamous ocean liner.

On 8/19/2017 at 5:28 PM, sailronin said:

Hello All,

What was the role of the Hugins in finding the wreck?  Did you use a wide area search sonar and then go for better resolution?

3 hours ago, sidmon said:

The Titanic search was in fact cover for USN funded deep sea recovery efforts of the Thresher and Scorpion wrecks...

http://news.nationalgeographic.com/news/2008/06/080602-titanic-secret.html

The 1985 discovery of the Titanic stemmed from a secret United States Navy investigation of two wrecked nuclear submarines, according to the oceanographer who found the infamous ocean liner.

"stemmed from" and "cover for" have two really different meanings. And how do you get to "recovery" from "investigation?" As far as I know, the only piece of debris recovered from either site was a piece of copper pipe from the Thresher's galley, back in the 60s, by Trieste. Since the navy considers both sites to be grave sites, "recovery" operations seem highly unlikely. However, both sites have been monitored periodically for radiation leakage- according to the navy, neither site has leaked any radiation since their sinkings.

But you are at least right that the search for the Titanic was secondary to Ballard's mission to survey both sub sites. Good thing, too, since it was studying Thresher that led him to figure out the most likely place for Titanic.

Just now, ryley said:

"stemmed from" and "cover for" have two really different meanings. And how do you get to "recovery" from "investigation?" As far as I know, the only piece of debris recovered from either site was a piece of copper pipe from the Thresher's galley, back in the 60s, by Trieste. Since the navy considers both sites to be grave sites, "recovery" operations seem highly unlikely. However, both sites have been monitored periodically for radiation leakage- according to the navy, neither site has leaked any radiation since their sinkings.

But you are at least right that the search for the Titanic was secondary to Ballard's mission to survey both sub sites. Good thing, too, since it was studying Thresher that led him to figure out the most likely place for Titanic.

It was a direct cover for deep undersea work the USN was doing at the time. And they also extensively explored the Scorpion wreck site as well. 

I was on a seis boat working as a navigator doing a survey off Sable Island when the Knorr was doing her search for the Titanic in the summer of '85. They moored right behind us in Halifax when we got chased in by a hurricane. They were acting very secretive, and I just assumed at the time there were working on the SOSUS system. It was the next year that the discovery was made public. and I saw why they were so furtive.

What all the USN has -or has not- recovered from those sites isn't something that has seen the light of day. That said, the USN was quite active in  deep sea wreck exploration and deep sea recovery during the period. Another example here:

The cost over-runs for the Avalon and Mystic submarine rescue vehicles turned out to be a cover for the Glomar Explorer project to retrieve a Russian submarine from the North Pacific

It turned out that the Jack Grimm expeditions had found the Titanic previously, but the gospel at the time was that the ship was in one piece contrary to eyewitness accounts and so attention was given to what turned out to be a nearby Liberty Ship.

If anyone is interested there will be a live broadcast at 2200 hrs East Coast time on PBS from R/V Petrel with live feed from the ROV 18,000 feet (5,488 meters) below the surface.  A tour of the Indianapolis, tonight on PBS.

18 minutes ago, sailronin said:

If anyone is interested there will be a live broadcast at 2200 hrs East Coast time on PBS from R/V Petrel with live feed from the ROV 18,000 feet (5,488 meters) below the surface.  A tour of the Indianapolis, tonight on PBS.

nice...

56 minutes ago, sailronin said:

Will this be available on the web for those based outside the US?

I'm not sure but try paulallen.com at 2200hrs east coast time.  If not I'm sure it will be rebroadcast at some point.