1 hour ago, Monkey said:

I’m curious as well. Let’s hear Sunseeker’s noble contributions. 

I’m comfortable with the contributions I’ve made to the sport, and at least one club that I was significantly involved with. Nothing wrong with what NYYC did, but in the scheme of money that floats around that place, $5 million is almost literally pocket change. There events are very well run, and the people who participate in them have fun. What I object to is this fuzzy notion that these boats were created to “help the sport”. That’s an overly broad statement.

West coast there’s two clubs in SoCal that own fleets of boats for big regatta use, LBYC with the Cat 37’s that were donated by the builder, which to my mind is a massive contribution to the sport by Frank Butler. And Balboa has built two different fleets of boats for the Gov Cup paid for by member and friends of the club donation. Common linkage between the new Balboa fleet and the IC 37 is Westerly. 

While big and dramatic, what NYYC has done is just not that big a deal in the context of their resources.

Other clubs do need to follow this model of member owned boats if they want to stay vibrant as a sailing club, because the trend is clear that participation is dropping like a rock because the market has changed so much in 10-15 years. Young people just can’t afford student loan debt and boats. So whatever works in an area should be purchased by clubs, and if they can’t economically sustain a fleet of reasonable boats, but to subsidize a dining room, then they need to look in the mirror and ask if they are really a sailing club or not.

I spoke with some folks....uniformly concerned about sun seekers xcitement level.....round-tabling at the moment to see what can be done. Hang in there sunny boy. Thinking trip to Chuck E. Cheese with some other drab feeling blokes.

Im trying to fig out if there is any way for me to weasel aboard. Sunny ur out, crew needs to be at least interested in sailing, racing interest a plus as well it turns out.

On 5/4/2018 at 10:47 AM, GLAZE said:

I'm pretty sure a team full young sailing talent that can out drink most other sailors on the planet won the Invitational last year.  OH YEAH, they are from the South.  That's what is so good about the Resolute Cup.  You finish in the top 3, you have the chance to go beat the ones with "Royal" in their name.

I do think this is great concept and the idea can be scaled down to fit other yacht clubs.  The real question is, what is the boat.  I have been talking about this idea among our club members and no one can come to a consensus on what 3-4 person boat would best fit.  Several of us looked at the parameters and came up with the following

• Feet in or no taco style hiking or hiking straps
  • 3-4 crew - ideal crew weight 750lbs or less, but no restriction on weight.
  • All sails able to be trimmed by women and older junior sailors
  • Asymmetrical spinnaker
  • able to plane

Boats in discussion

• Melges 20 - Local class rules to limit the rig adjustments to 3-4 settings
  • RS21 - I've only seen a brief video so no real opinion
  • J70 - Could be too much for smaller crew in the big breeze
  • Elliot 6 or 7
  • Govenors Cup 22

What gets these projects off the ground is what NYYC did,  Purchase the boats.  Unfortunately, every other yacht club in American doesn't have that luxury.

The GYA just adopted the Viper as its club boat.  Looks like it checks most of your boxes.

• Like 1

On 5/7/2018 at 4:23 PM, port tack said:

The GYA just adopted the Viper as its club boat.  Looks like it checks most of your boxes.

Beat me to it. Those are the very reasons the GYA adopted the Viper. And it's more affordable than all those mentioned. PM me if you want to learn more about the GYA's selection process.

And the guy that skippered the winning NYYC Invitational entry followed it up by winning a hard-fought 54-boat Viper North American Championship a couple of weeks later. Got himself nominated for a Rolex, with both events cited as the reasons.

For me, nothing but props to NYYC for what they do to promote and provide actual sailboat racing. We built them a batch of new Sonars a couple of years ago to add to their club fleet for team racing regattas and member club racing in Newport. I was also fortunate enough to crew on the RPAYC entry in the 2015 Invitational, through Aussie Viper connections. It is truly a world class regatta -for preparation and competitiveness, on par with Paralympic sailing in my experience, but quite a bit posher. The new boat is only going to make it a more spectacular event IMO.

I just read through the rules for the IC37 and don't see anything about North being exclusive, only License Manufacturer.  Does that mean they have opened up the sail maker rule?  Is the North requirement only for the NYYC boats?

There are the class rules and then there's the bulk purchase deals done to equip the club owned boats.

So far there has not been too much happening with these boats  I have only seen two in the water while the rest just sit in the yard  The NYYC regatta is in 3 weeks so maybe this weekend will see some activity  There is no way that 20 will start in the charity regatta

14 minutes ago, savoir said:

There is no way that 20 will start in the charity regatta

Deepens what you deffinitione of 'starte' is.                                        :)

4 hours ago, savoir said:

So far there has not been too much happening with these boats  I have only seen two in the water while the rest just sit in the yard  The NYYC regatta is in 3 weeks so maybe this weekend will see some activity  There is no way that 20 will start in the charity regatta

All 20 are chartered, many as syndicates which should help to get all 20 out for each event.  The kick off weekend is June 1st, any boats out on the water prior to that are probably being set up and tested.  Leukemia cup weekend is being billed as a training weekend for the class, first real event is the Annual Regatta.

1 hour ago, RumLine said:

All 20 are chartered, many as syndicates which should help to get all 20 out for each event.  The kick off weekend is June 1st, any boats out on the water prior to that are probably being set up and tested.  Leukemia cup weekend is being billed as a training weekend for the class, first real event is the Annual Regatta.

So far most are merely sitting   Not even a test sail ?  Weird

1 hour ago, savoir said:

You have to look at the profile of the majority of people who will be sailing these things. 

16 hours ago, savoir said:

14 hours ago, doghouse said:

You have to look at the profile of the majority of people who will be sailing these things. 

I think you actually just need to understand how the charter agreement is written with the club.  So yes, the entire fleet is sitting and waiting for the June 1st weekend.  Until then, the riggers and other professionals will continue to do whatever work is necessary.

The three hulls that were delivered last year were used for test sails with anyone interested.  As for the profile of the people chartering these boats, they're all NYYC members who have campaigned or continue to campaign in various fleets.

12 minutes ago, RumLine said:

As for the profile of the people chartering these boats, they're all NYYC members who have campaigned or continue to campaign in various fleets.

Indeed.

If I was the guy putting up the buck$ for a summer charter I would want a few days on the water to test everything, including the crew, but what would I know ?

10 hours ago, savoir said:

If I was the guy putting up the buck$ for a summer charter I would want a few days on the water to test everything, including the crew, but what would I know ?

Buck up or shut up!!

practice weekend and then we have access to the boat for majority of June. Charters are responsible between events for boat storage and can practice as they wish.  

Such faith  These guys don't even know if the motors work

2 hours ago, crashtestdummy said:

Buck up or shut up

So I take it you would prefer we proles did not discuss your NYYC 'summer charters' period ??

1 hour ago, Essex said:

So I take it you would prefer we proles did not discuss your NYYC 'summer charters' period ??

Agree it was pretty rude.  Maybe got a spot on his blue blazer.  I have been to the NYYC Manhattan years ago, the average age was deceased and I assume the tradition continues.  

8 hours ago, Cal20sailor said:

I have been to the NYYC Manhattan years ago, the average age was deceased and I assume the tradition continues.  

Our you talkling abote the mebberes or they dattes?                                               :)

• Like 1

They usually keep their "dates" on their motor yachts when the sugarbabies aren't shopping on "allowance."  It's really not done to bring them into the club although some gauche leftcoasters do.

• Like 1

29 minutes ago, NeedAClew said:

It's really not done to bring them into the club although some gauche leftcoasters do.

Thack you.                              :)

3 hours ago, Snaggletooth said:

Our you talkling abote the mebberes or they dattes?                                               :)

Somebody offered to get me off in the men's room so, I'm not sure.  Probably a member.  My dad (it was a rehearsal dinner) offered to hold a cab and bail us out if my brother and I offed the America's Cup.  it was 1980 or so and little did we know it was leaving soon.  

2 hours ago, jackolantern said:

You accepted the member’s offer, right? 

BJ in the can?  Oh wespey, whearre haive you beene hangeng youre hat?

You will all be pleased to hear that something actually happened with these boats yesterday   A few of them went to somewhere in Newport ,  maybe the dock at Fort Adams ?  A truck from North also delivered a pile of sails

Lots of chatter on the vhf yesterday beteeem the NYYC and the USCG. I gather someone amputated a finger. Someone grabbed the mainsheet on a tack? 

On 5/31/2019 at 8:32 AM, savoir said:

You will all be pleased to hear that something actually happened with these boats yesterday   A few of them went to somewhere in Newport ,  maybe the dock at Fort Adams ?  A truck from North also delivered a pile of sails

All 20 boats out on the water this weekend

https://www.instagram.com/melgesic37class/

The first race should be fun   For most it will be only their second sail on the boat   Watch out for a spot of crash and bash on the mark roundings

2 hours ago, savoir said:

The first race should be fun   For most it will be only their second sail on the boat   Watch out for a spot of crash and bash on the mark roundings

They aren't Aussie 18s...

As they approach the bottom marat 15 knots the entire crew will  be in only their second day aboard   No pros   Should be fun

Practice weekend was loaded with pros.  Even hutch was on board a boat Sunday.  

Only chance these boats have bog approaching a leeward mark at 15knots is in 25tws!  

Fun weekend wish we had more breeze Saturday 

It blew 30 on the bay yesterday   Early summer in RI is always windy

In theory a pro such as Hutchison cannot race but maybe they don't intend to enforce their own rules  The only pros allowed are those of the bn variety

11 hours ago, savoir said:

As they approach the bottom marat 15 knots the entire crew will  be in only their second day aboard   No pros   Should be fun

I heard that most of the crew on these boats are just learning how to sail, some of them are struggling to manage the IC37 calendar with their classes at Sail Newport.  It's going to be SO hard without Pros on board, how will they ever be able to handle such large sails without paid professionals.  Not to mention the class rule that requires at least two females on board, what if they break a nail during a maneuver?

I get that you don't like the class, you're probably a RI resident that didn't get the invite to come sail on the IC37.  But you're making a lot of assumptions without data to back it up, why don't we just wait and see how the first event goes before shitting all over the class and the sailors.

2 hours ago, RumLine said:

I get that you don't like the class, you're probably a RI resident that didn't get the invite to come sail on the IC37.  

Or a pro that isn't allowed to.

I could handle that boat, don't know why others couldn't?

No point in blaming me for the class rules and charter system    I didn't write either

It's simple  If the rules are applied, Hutchison can only race if he takes a charter or buys one

First IC37 regatta about to start. Should be interesting. 

20 minutes ago, Student_Driver said:

Is the crew make up "loaded with pros", a smattering of ringers or truly corinthian/amateur?

37 minutes ago, Student_Driver said:

Keep an eye out for the one that wins. That will be the fast one! 

56 minutes ago, Student_Driver said:

I can't breath.

• Like 1

Not much happening.  5 - 7 from the north

zzzzzzzzzzzz

1 hour ago, Parma said:

Is the crew make up "loaded with pros", a smattering of ringers or truly corinthian/amateur?

What does that mean? If I am good, but not don't take money to race, where would that put me? Ringer or truly corinthian? ;)

The idea is to make the IC37 class mostly Corinthian.  Being paid to sail today is irrelevant,  rather what is important is how the pro makes his living generally.  Someone who is paid to sail fast is prohibited while someone who is paid for boat maintenance or deliveries is allowed at 1 per boat but cannot steer or be tactician.

Well then, it's time to strrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrretch those rules!

Incrementally of course, and with all due respect & decorum.

4 hours ago, Parma said:

Well then, it's time to strrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrretch those rules!

Incrementally of course, and with all due respect & decorum.

Who was it that said “I have the best Cat-1 sailors money can buy?”

On 6/8/2019 at 7:51 PM, Student_Driver said:

Who was it that said “I have the best Cat-1 sailors money can buy?”

I believe that was a fairly prolific east coast Farr 40 program

• Like 1

I'm really impressed by these boats, the NYYC charter program and the fleet in general.   The boats are a great balance of performance and simplicity. Approachable for corinthian teams but certainly require finesse in trim to go fast and keep things interesting. It seemed many of the teams were sailing with friends and family crews - great to see.  Having only three sails was nice too...less time spent lugging sails, loading battens, nail biting about choosing the right sail etc. which allowed more time to enjoy the time on the water (and the bar). 

• Like 1

I had a blast on the boats this past week.  Lots of emphasis from NYYC and the class to get everyone up to speed.  The boats reward those that are willing to put forth the extra effort squeezing everything out trim, pushing the boat downwind, and moving around constantly with your weight.  The boat is creating new opportunities for a lot of sailors.  Lots of family teams.  I haven't seen so many girls in a long time.  Almost every team had 3 girls on board.  Not just dead weight.  Our 3 were in the pit, jib trim, and runners. There is a weight limit, but done on the honor system.  I don't think there was any team that looked like they were over.  There is a reward for having a junior sailor (16 or younger)on board.  Their weight doesn't count.

With the rig tension pre-set, all you have is the mast jack and hand full of plates to tune the rig.  One main and jib that have the ability to reef.  Reefing is determined by wind speed prior to the race.  Racing comes down to a good start, tactics, and getting around the corners.  

1 hour ago, GLAZE said:

I had a blast on the boats this past week.  Lots of emphasis from NYYC and the class to get everyone up to speed.  The boats reward those that are willing to put forth the extra effort squeezing everything out trim, pushing the boat downwind, and moving around constantly with your weight.  The boat is creating new opportunities for a lot of sailors.  Lots of family teams.  I haven't seen so many girls in a long time.  Almost every team had 3 girls on board.  Not just dead weight.  Our 3 were in the pit, jib trim, and runners. There is a weight limit, but done on the honor system.  I don't think there was any team that looked like they were over.  There is a reward for having a junior sailor (16 or younger)on board.  Their weight doesn't count.

With the rig tension pre-set, all you have is the mast jack and hand full of plates to tune the rig.  One main and jib that have the ability to reef.  Reefing is determined by wind speed prior to the race.  Racing comes down to a good start, tactics, and getting around the corners.  

Sounds frickin awesome... Where do you sign up?