• Announcements

• Zapata

Abbreviated rules   07/28/2017

Underdawg did an excellent job of explaining the rules.  Here's the simplified version: Don't insinuate Pedo.  Warning and or timeout for a first offense.  PermaFlick for any subsequent offenses Don't out members.  See above for penalties.  Caveat:  if you have ever used your own real name or personal information here on the forums since, like, ever - it doesn't count and you are fair game. If you see spam posts, report it to the mods.  We do not hang out in every thread 24/7 If you see any of the above, report it to the mods by hitting the Report button in the offending post.   We do not take action for foul language, off-subject content, or abusive behavior unless it escalates to persistent stalking.  There may be times that we might warn someone or flick someone for something particularly egregious.  There is no standard, we will know it when we see it.  If you continually report things that do not fall into rules #1 or 2 above, you may very well get a timeout yourself for annoying the Mods with repeated whining.  Use your best judgement. Warnings, timeouts, suspensions and flicks are arbitrary and capricious.  Deal with it.  Welcome to anarchy.   If you are a newbie, there are unwritten rules to adhere to.  They will be explained to you soon enough.  
Sign in to follow this  
Mrleft8

How do you know if the moon is waxing, or waning?

Apparently when the moon is waxing, the shadow is on the left hand side....

(And you can hear it scream when the hairs get pulled out...)

Was a guy on NPR this morning talking about his book about tides, sounded like a worthwhile read.  Guy built a 26' boat and sailed it all over, then got an old Schooner after that.  Travelled to most of the places with extreme tides, like 42 feet on the coast of Normandy.

Try this nmemonic: DC

If the lit part looks like a "D", it is waxing.

If the lit par looks like a "C", it is waning.  

Think about where the sun is, then picture the moon coming up an hour later tomorrow night with the sun in same position.  Will the moon be more or less illuminated?  

Draw a line through the middle, top to bottom:

If the lit side is a P - premier (first half, waxing)

If the lit side is a D - dernier (last half, waning)

Helps if you took French in grade school.

1 hour ago, bugger said:

Try this nmemonic: DC

If the lit part looks like a "D", it is waxing.

If the lit par looks like a "C", it is waning.  

To extend that, think of "DOC"

D--waxing, O--full, C--waning

1 hour ago, oldgoatroper said:

To extend that, think of "DOC"

D--waxing, O--full, C--waning

That's my device.  DOC.  Easy to remember, and places the phases on their proper sides of full.

Back when I was a middle school Science teacher, I taught a lesson on waxing and waning, and how to remember which was which.

When the moon is waxing, the illuminated portion appears to be getting bigger.  To remember this, there was a discussion about making candles.  Each time a candle was dipped in the vat of hot wax, it grew larger.

A brilliant student came up with a great way to remember that waning means that the illuminated portion of the moon appears to be getting smaller:

'Lil Wayne.

Rarely have I seen more people take a silly joke question so seriously.

Reminds me of the time I asked a college physics professor what the study of fizzy-ology was as we were both drawing carbonated soft drinks from the cafeteria line.....

He finally laughed .

12 minutes ago, Mrleft8 said:

No suche thinge, evan rettoricalle, questiones our answerred hearre.                               :)

If you look at the moon, and the part you see is on the left side, that's how much is left before it starts over....

Don'tcha just love Anglo-centric answers? I thought we got past that a few decades ago when the N hemisphere elites reluctantly accepted that people to the south were human.

20 hours ago, billy backstay said:

Was a guy on NPR this morning talking about his book about tides, sounded like a worthwhile read.  Guy built a 26' boat and sailed it all over, then got an old Schooner after that.  Travelled to most of the places with extreme tides, like 42 feet on the coast of Normandy.

Didn't hear that on the commute - do ya recall what the segment was titled? 

5 hours ago, A guy in the Chesapeake said:

Didn't hear that on the commute - do ya recall what the segment was titled? 

Sorry, I do not.  I often only catch bits and pieces.  Both my wife and I often sit in the car for 5 or 10 minutes after arriving at our destination, to hear the end of a Moth Radio Hour story, or Snap Judgement.  Now that we have an Echo, I believe that Alexa can summon them for us, at will?

1 minute ago, billy backstay said:

Sorry, I do not.  I often only catch bits and pieces.  Both my wife and I often sit in the car for 5 or 10 minutes after arriving at our destination, to hear the end of a Moth Radio Hour story, or Snap Judgement.  Now that we have an Echo, I believe that Alexa can summon them for us, at will?

NP - I was trying to find it on NPR's site this AM, and could't - it sounded like something I'd enjoy.  I'll keep lookin', and thanks for mentioning it! 

Most of the time it's tilted - if it looks like it's filling up it's waxing, if it's emptying out it's waning - helpful for those who can't remember left from right.

17 hours ago, Mrleft8 said:

Reminds me of the time I asked a college physics professor what the study of fizzy-ology was as we were both drawing carbonated soft drinks from the cafeteria line.....

He finally laughed .

Ask a stupid question, and you're sure to get a stupid answer.

5 minutes ago, d'ranger said:

Most of the time it's tilted - if it looks like it's filling up it's waxing, if it's emptying out it's waning - helpful for those who can't remember left from right.

That works, too... I just hope some precious lily doesn't whine about this being Northern-Hemisphere-centric...

Precious Lily says: Okay fools. Not only are you N-Hemisphere-Centric inexperienced noobs. But you dwell in the evenings. Sinful creatures that sleep thru the sunrise. In the tropics it tends to be the 'U' or inverted 'U' depending on both the phase AND whether it is setting or rising. The 'C' vs. 'P' noobs should realize that that gets reversed depending on the hemisphere AND  whether it is rising or setting. Sheesh. Anybody who has spent a few nights outdoors away from SA should know this.

Ya do know the moon is also up during the day, right?

A better way to determine waxing or waning, if such a detail is not perfectly obvious, is to observer whether the moon is ahead of the sun or behind the sun on the ecliptic. The moon appears to move across the sky slower than the sun. Ahead of the sun: it will soon be overtaken and wane to a new moon. Behind the sun it will soon wax full. Simple...if you know about east and west. True in all hemispheres, cultures, and whether you are stumbling out of a bar or milking to cows.

I still think the screaming, as it's little curly hairs are torn out is the best way to tell.