Sign in to follow this  
More Cowbell2

HOT! HOT! HOT! (Peppers, that is)

Growing some hot peppers this year that I have not grown before.  I've done jalapenos, cayenne, thai, and habaneros before, but wanted to try something more exotic this time.

Poblano - ok, so not so hot, but I like the flavor

Image result for image of poblano

Bhut Jolokia Chocolate (Ghost pepper) - hotter than jalapenos and habaneros, interesting dark brown color.

Image result for image of bhut jolokai chocolate

Trinidad Scorpions, Butch T, Yellow - Oh yeah these are hot.  Hotter than the Bhut Jolokia's.  Took a small bite of one of these and it has a very interesting initial flavor, hard to describe, almost sweet-ish.  But then the heat kicks in.  Wow.  Where's the sugar!

Image result for image of trinidad scorpion yellow pepper

Carolina Reapers - Hotter than the scorpions.  Have not tried this one yet.  Waiting for it to ripen more.

Image result for image of carolina reaper

Cutting these up (the Bhut Jolokia and the Scorpions) to salvage the seeds for next season.  There was a vapor or odor that was emitted that was almost hotter than eating them.  Inhaled this by mistake and made me hack up a lung.  Next time, I may need a filter mask or respirator.

Anyone growing something interesting? 

Keep it up

Where did you aquire all the different seeds ??

This year I bought the plants, so I am trying to save the seeds for next years crop.

Now I'm in trouble.  Wife called and said my daughter is crying because she must have touched something in the kitchen where I was cutting the peppers up, and it is burning her eyes.  Saline solution seems to be helping. I need to be more careful next time.  I washed everything I used.  Some of the oil must have gotten on the counter tops.  I used a cutting board though.

2 hours ago, More Cowbell2 said:

Now I'm in trouble.  Wife called and said my daughter is crying because she must have touched something in the kitchen where I was cutting the peppers up, and it is burning her eyes.  Saline solution seems to be helping. I need to be more careful next time.  I washed everything I used.  Some of the oil must have gotten on the counter tops.  I used a cutting board though.

Save the Chidren 

Send me the seedz 

I'm a fan of growing peppers but stopped. They attract ground gophers. Little bastards love the roots. If I just have the native stuff then no gophers. Peppers? They must see it as crack and the little bastards the tear the place up.

5 hours ago, More Cowbell2 said:

This year I bought the plants, so I am trying to save the seeds for next years crop.

Hope you haven't got cross pollination or you could end up with completely different fruit next time round.

MC

One of our good friends is a serious chilehead and has developed the 'Bonda Mahala' cross. Via him I've been introduced to Mr Taylor. 

I'm fairly certain that the Butch T is red. What that yellow may be is a '7-Pot Yellow,' so called bc it will spice 7 pots of food. I'll have to ask my friend about your pod. Your Reaper pods look right. All your pods are nice looking, regardless.

The superhots are difficult to clean from surfaces. Suggest you dedicate a special board to them. Milk products are best for ingestion relief, and all you can do for your kids poor eyes is rinse with saline. My wife was making a chatni with some Butch T Trinidad Scorpions and I choked on the fumes from all the way across the house. 

9 hours ago, More Cowbell2 said:

When I'm done cutting up hot peppers, I have a small glass dish with sealable lid that I keep a bit of isopropyl alcohol in to dip my fingers in and rub them abit... gets the oils off the skin that even hot soap and water won't always completely remove. Then those oils don't get near my eyes, into my nose or other sensitive places. I learned this the hard way.

Nitrile gloves and process outside. Hell, my horseradish will blind me.

I ate a whole ghost once on a dare because 'I like spicy'.

I've never had every mucous membrane operating at once before that. It was tasty to start, then I thought I'd need medical assistance. No Irish jig could compare to that mess.

^ Nitrile gloves. I just can't resist poking myself in the eye at least once a day.

15 hours ago, Major Tom said:

Hope you haven't got cross pollination or you could end up with completely different fruit next time round.

Good point,  I probably have cross pollinated them since they are close together.  Maybe I can name my own hybrid?

That would explain why some other peppers that were mild last year are very hot this year.  Had them in a pot on the deck.  The wife asked which ones were not hot, so I pointed to the peppers that were sweet the prior year.  One bite and she spit it out, cusses me out, and went to the kitchen to get some sugar.

11 hours ago, oldgoatroper said:

When I'm done cutting up hot peppers, I have a small glass dish with sealable lid that I keep a bit of isopropyl alcohol in to dip my fingers in and rub them abit... gets the oils off the skin that even hot soap and water won't always completely remove. Then those oils don't get near my eyes, into my nose or other sensitive places. I learned this the hard way.

That's a good idea.  Next time I will keep some IPA close by.  Washed my hands 3 times with soap and water, still a little hot if I rubbed my eyes.

BTW daughter fessed up that she picked up one of the bags that was labeled "chocolate" (Bhut Jolokai Chocolate) and sniffed it to see if it smelled like chocolate.  That is why her nose was burning up.  I told her they were hot when I was cutting them up and that she should not touch them.  Teenagers don't seem to listen until they're in their late 20's.

8 hours ago, austin1972 said:

Nitrile gloves and process outside. Hell, my horseradish will blind me.

I ate a whole ghost once on a dare because 'I like spicy'.

I've never had every mucous membrane operating at once before that. It was tasty to start, then I thought I'd need medical assistance. No Irish jig could compare to that mess.

I like spicy too, obviously, but my plan is to dehydrate these individually, then make a spice to add a little heat to whatever we want to. 

I tried a sliver of each and that was hot enough.  A whole one would put me in the ER.

1 hour ago, More Cowbell2 said:

That's a good idea.  Next time I will keep some IPA close by.  Washed my hands 3 times with soap and water, still a little hot if I rubbed my eyes.

I suggest this one.

stone-brewing-ipa-6-pack*1200xx864-486-0-103.jpg

7 hours ago, HuronBouy said:

Burns on the way in but unfortunately on the way out too 

maxresdefault.jpg

Oh, your peppers look really cool! However I don't like to add such hot spices into my food, I tried pizza with them some time ago and my mouth burnt! :lol: So now I try to avoid them in my food :lol:
And at home I tried to grow only onion and garlic, I'm not a gardening person at all :lol:

Hello, my little friend.

Yellow_Scorpion.jpg

On 8/30/2017 at 9:00 PM, Major Tom said:

Could make for some interesting blends though. 

Edit,

just realised this thread is a couple of years old, any good recipes for making sauces anybody? 

FYI ... I planted a genetic jalapeno plant in the shadow of a new Lemon tree

FUCK ME .... HOTer than eating Steam and lots of Flavor.

I'm going to save the largest couple for seed to see if they might just grow that way as a standalone plant

I like to put different Chilies next to each other to see what ya get

I LOVE HOT ...  But Must be Flavorful as the 1st quality or you could gut heat a spoon to burn yer tong 

FB_IMG_1568141001131.jpg

FB_IMG_1568140994574.jpg

I make this all the time. Good stuff.

Habanero Salsa and Red Onions

Pickled red onions 3 large (about 1 1/2 pounds total)

red onions, sliced 1/8 inch thick 2 cups fresh sour orange juice  OR 1 1/3 cups fresh lime juice plus 2/3 cup fresh orange juice

Roasted Habanero Salsa 8 medium fresh habanero chilies 4 large garlic cloves, unpeeled 2 tablespoons fresh lime juice
1 can (16 oz) Italian style stewed tomatoes (basil and garlic usually)
1 small can corn Salt

Directions
Simple pickled onions - Scoop the onions into a non-aluminum bowl.  Pour boiling water over them, wait 10 seconds, then pour the onions into a strainer. Return the drained onions to the bowl and pour on the sour orange juice (or the lime-orange combo) and stir in 1 1/2 teaspoons salt.  Cover and set-aside until serving time.

Habanero Salsa.  On an ungreased skillet over medium heat, roast the chilies and garlic, turning regularly, until they’re soft and darkened in spots, 5 to 10 minutes for the chilies, 15 minutes for the garlic.  When cool, slip the skins off the garlic.

Cut off the top and bottom then slice the roasted habanero peppers in half. Scrape out the seeds and ribs of the pepper. If you want no heat, slice the peppers along each rib and completely discard the white/yellow ribs. If you want a little heat just scrape most of the ribs off leaving a faint white/yellow line on the pepper. The heat in the salsa is directly related to the amount of seeds and ribs left in the ingredients. With no seeds and ribs, the sweet flavor of the pepper is more prominent with no heat. Experiment to determine how you like it.

6 hours ago, Point Break said:

I make this all the time. Good stuff.

Habanero Salsa and Red Onions

Pickled red onions 3 large (about 1 1/2 pounds total)

red onions, sliced 1/8 inch thick 2 cups fresh sour orange juice  OR 1 1/3 cups fresh lime juice plus 2/3 cup fresh orange juice

Roasted Habanero Salsa 8 medium fresh habanero chilies 4 large garlic cloves, unpeeled 2 tablespoons fresh lime juice
1 can (16 oz) Italian style stewed tomatoes (basil and garlic usually)
1 small can corn Salt

Directions
Simple pickled onions - Scoop the onions into a non-aluminum bowl.  Pour boiling water over them, wait 10 seconds, then pour the onions into a strainer. Return the drained onions to the bowl and pour on the sour orange juice (or the lime-orange combo) and stir in 1 1/2 teaspoons salt.  Cover and set-aside until serving time.

Habanero Salsa.  On an ungreased skillet over medium heat, roast the chilies and garlic, turning regularly, until they’re soft and darkened in spots, 5 to 10 minutes for the chilies, 15 minutes for the garlic.  When cool, slip the skins off the garlic.

Cut off the top and bottom then slice the roasted habanero peppers in half. Scrape out the seeds and ribs of the pepper. If you want no heat, slice the peppers along each rib and completely discard the white/yellow ribs. If you want a little heat just scrape most of the ribs off leaving a faint white/yellow line on the pepper. The heat in the salsa is directly related to the amount of seeds and ribs left in the ingredients. With no seeds and ribs, the sweet flavor of the pepper is more prominent with no heat. Experiment to determine how you like it.

Is that all of the recipe?  Seems to end to soon........

Wow.  Thanks for the heads-up, desprit.  Gonna operate on this bad boy with nitrile gloves, a scalpel and hemo clamp in a fume hood.  Just want the seeds, but I'm tempted to put a slice on a burger or pizza slice. :rolleyes:

1845893079_GrimmReaper.thumb.jpg.53ab810c61bb720da5a85c4acbe0e7d7.jpg

On 9/10/2019 at 6:56 PM, Tunnel Rat said:

Is that all of the recipe?  Seems to end to soon........

Oooops. My bad, I didn’t get it all. Sorry. Here’s the last part.

In a blender or small food processor, add all the ingredients. Lightly “pulse” blend 
just until well mixed but the corn is still mostly intact. You can blend longer and 
it’ll be smooth but I prefer the whole corn in the salsa. Season with salt to your 
taste, usually about 1/2 teaspoon. This salsa will last several days.

7 minutes ago, Point Break said:

Oooops. My bad, I didn’t get it all. Sorry. Here’s the last part.

Thank you sir!

I think my son will be experimenting with this in the near future, however he is likely to be using the Thai "bird-shit chillies" that he prefers to habaneros.  Damn are they fierce.

• Like 1

• Like 1

7 minutes ago, VWAP said:

But still not soo Hawt they would need to take their Top off !!

Get the Good stuff !!!

sorry for any thread drift here but the title of this one made me think of this video