• Announcements

• Zapata

Abbreviated rules   07/28/2017

Underdawg did an excellent job of explaining the rules.  Here's the simplified version: Don't insinuate Pedo.  Warning and or timeout for a first offense.  PermaFlick for any subsequent offenses Don't out members.  See above for penalties.  Caveat:  if you have ever used your own real name or personal information here on the forums since, like, ever - it doesn't count and you are fair game. If you see spam posts, report it to the mods.  We do not hang out in every thread 24/7 If you see any of the above, report it to the mods by hitting the Report button in the offending post.   We do not take action for foul language, off-subject content, or abusive behavior unless it escalates to persistent stalking.  There may be times that we might warn someone or flick someone for something particularly egregious.  There is no standard, we will know it when we see it.  If you continually report things that do not fall into rules #1 or 2 above, you may very well get a timeout yourself for annoying the Mods with repeated whining.  Use your best judgement. Warnings, timeouts, suspensions and flicks are arbitrary and capricious.  Deal with it.  Welcome to anarchy.   If you are a newbie, there are unwritten rules to adhere to.  They will be explained to you soon enough.  
A-NU-START

Irma

1,427 posts in this topic

Heard on the radio that a large construction crane has toppled in Miami. People had expressed concern prior to storm, and we're assured by the contractors the cranes were locked and well-anchored.

Just now, RKoch said:

Heard on the radio that a large construction crane has toppled in Miami. People had expressed concern prior to storm, and we're assured by the contractors the cranes were locked and well-anchored.

Crazy... and... Miami is not even getting the brunt of it .. (Not to imply that Miami is going to be immune from effects...)

any reports from the Lower Keys?  The Neph has a house on Summerland.  They aren't there, but wondering if the house still is.

Looked like ground zero for the eye wall blast. 

9 minutes ago, RKoch said:

I saw it on CNN just now. Kind of ridiculous - the reporter can barely stand in the wind, and there's a couple of dudes on their bikes behind her...going for a Darwin Award, maybe.

20 minutes ago, RKoch said:

i've seen the picture   broke at the top..i think about half way down the long horizontal arm  (also called the jib btw)    the cranes are allowed to spin in high winds....so none of the turntables are locked...this so as the wind veers they dont  present a huge cross section....

The broken piece fell onto a lower building....not much lower... and is draped over the side.

edit   found a pic (this looks worse than what I first saw...must be developing still)

7a1bb8e61deb4de2b98ce1bab38ff591-780x104

Wind in Miami reported at 70-90. WTF are people doing outside?

image.jpg

37 minutes ago, TimFordi550#87 said:

any reports from the Lower Keys?  The Neph has a house on Summerland.  They aren't there, but wondering if the house still is.

Looked like ground zero for the eye wall blast. 

Eye passed over Cujoe Key. One death reported in Marathon...pickup carrying a generator wrapped around a tree. Monre Co Sheriffs recovered the body during a lull. I think all the Keys are taking a pounding. SW Florida next...

1.5 million customers without power in south Florida. Just saw on FB that power in Bradenton just went out. 

2 deaths in an auto crash in Hendry County, one was a deputy.

People been funny on FB...dime bags of water for sale...lol!

image.jpg

54 minutes ago, NORBowGirl said:

I saw it on CNN just now. Kind of ridiculous - the reporter can barely stand in the wind, and there's a couple of dudes on their bikes behind her...going for a Darwin Award, maybe.

I saw that too. WTF? What was I eluding too earlier: It's not not the wind that gets you it's being hit by a Volvo can ruin your day. Not how fit you are. Mulletheads.

The WEATHER CHANNEL reported that in Irma's grasp a J105 got up on a plane

Story quickly retracted and an apology posted in its place

They admitted acepting a Fake News Release from ScuttleButt,

Prommising to follow SailingAnrchy for the Shizzle from now on

Tampa radar. 

ttps://radar.weather.gov/Conus/southeast_loop.php

making a beeline for Cape Romano, south of Naples. The dome house ruins will probably be swept away.  This is probably the best case scenerio...getting over land quickly so it will start weakening. Less storm surge of it tracks east of Tampa.

ttps://radar.weather.gov/Conus/southeast_loop.php

Heard a rumor on FB that bridge over snake creek in the Keys is down. 

4 minutes ago, TimFordi550#87 said:

Thanks for the reports, RK

I'll try and keep posting updates, as long as I have power and cell service.

42 minutes ago, RKoch said:

Brickell Ave in Miami....

image.jpg

BS! That's Miami River mouth and the channel between the Brickell area and Brickell Key! Were it not for the rain oyu'd see a tiny stretch of the Brickell Bridge between the building on the left (Icon Brickell) and the building in the middle.

Yes, storm surge is crazy high but that's not Brickell Ave. I live on Brickell Ave (evacuated now), and I'm monitoring the news. In actual pics of Brickell Ave it looks flooded, but it doesn't look like a river. 

This pics look like a river, because it is a river.

RKoch,  thanks  for  your  posts,  i  hope  all works out for you and  all  effected.  If  house destroyed,  and  need  a Place to  hang out,  got  couple spare  bed rooms...but in CT,  No charge                   I'd  pray  ,  but  haven't  since  1978   

20 minutes ago, RKoch said:

Heard a rumor on FB that bridge over snake creek in the Keys is down. 

Just got a report that was a false alarm.

Headed to KW asap to see if my houses are still there...

16 minutes ago, martin.langhoff said:

BS! That's Miami River mouth and the channel between the Brickell area and Brickell Key! Were it not for the rain oyu'd see a tiny stretch of the Brickell Bridge between the building on the left (Icon Brickell) and the building in the middle.

Yes, storm surge is crazy high but that's not Brickell Ave. I live on Brickell Ave (evacuated now), and I'm monitoring the news. In actual pics of Brickell Ave it looks flooded, but it doesn't look like a river. 

This pics look like a river, because it is a river.

http://www.sun-sentinel.com/news/weather/hurricane/fl-reg-hurricane-irma-flood-threat-20170909-story.html

reports that a second crane is down, too.

16 minutes ago, davesect said:

RKoch,  thanks  for  your  posts,  i  hope  all works out for you and  all  effected.  If  house destroyed,  and  need  a Place to  hang out,  got  couple spare  bed rooms...but in CT,  No charge                   I'd  pray  ,  but  haven't  since  1978   

Thanks for the offer. I'm pretty confident house will hold up, esp since storm looks to be tracking east of Tampa. They're not forecasting it yet, but radar is showing it. Plenty of fam and friends nearby. 

Bayshore Blvd in Tampa...this is normally 6' deep.

image.jpg

10 minutes ago, RKoch said:

image.jpg

They had better haul ass before the surge comes back in!!!

Looks like Key West radar went down. Tampa radar still up, just picking up eye making landfall at Cape Romano. Heavy bands over Ft Myers, just about to hit Sarasota. We'll get them in a little bit.

image.jpg

47 minutes ago, RKoch said:

image.jpg

Jeezuss - they look like the dummies that got washed away in Phuket in 2004.

Don't people yet understand that a drawdown like that comes back in with a rush?

"Oh, Look - the ocean's disappeared" :rolleyes:

Can anyone tell us what effect big mangrove areas like the tip of Florida have on storm surge?

Does it sort of absorb it or damp it down like a sponge or is it no different than other places?

As much as I dislike CNN. Their live coverage from Naples is pretty amazing stuff....

stay safe everyone......

2 hours ago, eastern motors said:

Guy driving around US41 live streaming:

https://www.periscope.tv/w/1LyxBEydlDnJN

1 hour ago, AnotherSailor said:

Darwin awards live!

What a fucking idiot!

1 hour ago, By the lee said:

Cool! Live blow by blow.......-_-

He may be taking risks, but he is not an idiot at all. Quite switched-on in fact and worth watching and listening to, for a while...

And 478.9k Viewers !

1 hour ago, RKoch said:

.........cue the leather skinned Floridian with a metal detector 

6 hours ago, Mizzmo said:

Looks like Key West is almost out of it. 77kts max winds is not as bad as I had feared. Starting to hope Irma may not be a catastrophic as we once thought for FL. Tampa will get walloped, but the damage should be less than if she had given Miami a direct hit.

Question for BJ and Rasper. Seeing all of these cats flipped over, would you consider partially flooding your boat to weigh it down? Even a couple of inches in the bilge could add several 1000lbs of weight, and depending on the boat there may be crash zones and other voids to add a lot of weight. Also since most performance multhulls are optimized to prevent pitchpoling forwards, would you consider mooring so that the stern took most of the wind? I guess that would present the relatively vulnerable stern section of the bridge to the worst of it though.

I've already got 20,000 lbs of lead that says I don't flip over and stay flipped, so the answer for my boat is no since any water above the bilge level would be hell on the interior.

I don't know what the answer is for cats. Bring 'em ashore, take down the rig, and strap them down far from anything that might fly into them? Not really practical on a large scale...

NOAA tweeted Irma made landfall at Marco Island at 3:30. As a long-time annual Marco Island Marriott visitor due to a particularly excellent conference there in our industry, my thoughts are with them. 

28 minutes ago, SloopJonB said:

Can anyone tell us what effect big mangrove areas like the tip of Florida have on storm surge?

Does it sort of absorb it or damp it down like a sponge or is it no different than other places?

It absorbs it. That's one of the problems that NOLA is having, the marshes and wetlands are sinking.

11 minutes ago, Kingstonsail said:

.........cue the leather skinned Floridian with a metal detector 

post-67808-0-44525400-1414515034_thumb.jpg

2 minutes ago, Blue Crab said:

...he is wearing socks with his sandals .....are you sure that's not a leather skinned french Canadian

1 minute ago, Kingstonsail said:

...he is wearing socks with his sandals .....are you sure that's not a leather skinned Canadian

Canuks have black socks and jocks.

Just now, Blue Crab said:

Canuks have black socks and jocks.

its that fine line between brilliant and stupid

Wind in St Pete is about 25-30, but a few gusts near 40. Mostly east, but there's some swirls. Power reported out in Old Northeast, others reporting flickering. Power at my house hasn't missed a beat. I'm only 3 or 4 blocks from a substation, hope it holds.

18 minutes ago, Snaggletooth said:

Ist that Ian the Dubinatorre?

Dubes!!!!!

18 minutes ago, Snaggletooth said:

Ist that Ian the Dubinatorre?

He prefers "Long Dong Dubs"

35 minutes ago, Blue Crab said:

Is that the guy the nurses got suspended over?

This was a pic I used to send out when computer-dating. Never got any bites.

23 minutes ago, SloopJonB said:

Is that the guy the nurses got suspended over?

Handy way to carry your golf clubs.

Blowing pretty hard now...maybe 40? Power still on...idk if across the street it is. Scattered outages around St Pete and Tampa. Storm is now Cat2, forecast to be Cat1 by the time it gets to Tampa at 2am.  That's good news. Going to be a long night.

7 minutes ago, smackdaddy said:

Handy way to carry your golf clubs.

Get real.  He is a Floridian.  90% of Floridians have a CC (Concealed Carry) permit.  Where else could he conceal?

Ice cream truck idea...Cones of Uncertainty. Might be a winner...

image.jpg

1 minute ago, RKoch said:

Ice cream truck idea...Cones of Uncertainty. Might be a winner...

image.jpg

That's funny! Thanks for the play-by-play too. Really valuable info.

1 minute ago, Kenny Dumas said:

Finally found some data for Marco storm surge:

https://tidesandcurrents.noaa.gov/waterlevels.html?id=8725110

Total swing about -2.5 to +6 when readings stop.  Max rate about 4 feet in 20-30 minutes.  I suppose it could create a "tidal bore" breaking wave in a long shallow harbor like Charlotte?

I've seen videos of the storm surge coming in Mississippi coast during Katrina. Each wave rolls in, but never goes back. Each wave just adds to it.  I think Charlotte Harbor will get similar pouring in Boca Grande Pass. It will be less height than if the storm was just offshore though, but it'll come in quickly.

A strong band is just starting to hit now. I'm not seeing wind borne debris other than twigs and leaves, but I wouldn't want to be walking or driving the streets right now. Good timing by sheriffs for 5 pm curfew. No where to go anyway...all the bridges have been closed for a while..

I'm in downtown St Pete, any info on Davis Island???  

NHC flooding map shows it will be inundated.

22 minutes ago, RKoch said:

A strong band is just starting to hit now. I'm not seeing wind borne debris other than twigs and leaves, but I wouldn't want to be walking or driving the streets right now. Good timing by sheriffs for 5 pm curfew. No where to go anyway...all the bridges have been closed for a while..

RKoch, I thought you were evacuating?  Where are you in South Florida?  

14 minutes ago, billy backstay said:

RKoch, I thought you were evacuating?  Where are you in South Florida?  

No, wasn't me. I'm in St Pete. Windy now, worse to come.

Manatee stranded by the outgoing water. I heard it was carried back to deep water.

image.jpg

From a cruiser who lost his Amel 53 in St Martin...

The situation has terribly degraded.
People are stealing anything. I took pictures of 20 to 25 people breaking in Blue Point electronic to steal anything they could. They saw me taking pictures I feared for my life and biked away.
I saw hundred of people robbing the grocery store Carrefour.
Many people have become ruthless and savages.
Bobby’s Boatyard did well, most boats safe.
Port de Plaisance marina is devastated, catamaran flipped over, monohull sink.
The hotel 50kw generator is running low on diesel, I went with an employee to NIKIMAT and dove to open the lazaret, 4 out of my 5 Jerry Cans floated (I assume the diesel is good), couldn’t find the 5th one, probably puncture.
The hotel sewer tanks are almost full and about to overflow in the street.
I bought the last water bottles at the grocery store next to my hotel, I am good for several weeks.
Rarely I get internet connection
Army and police are doing their best, but they are very nervous and not enough of them, people still walk at night to try to rob buildings.
This has become a 3rd World Country.
I am more afraid of the people than the Hurricane.

https://apod.nasa.gov/apod/ap170910.html

Take a good look at that and tell me you stayed....

Crazy to think you can. If I could evac before the 8 point whatever the fuck it was, I would...

Shoot the fucking animal looters on sight and stream it live...

Best part is that we wont have to listen/see the idiot newscasts beforehand, and there won't be any after...

15 minutes ago, ARumRunner said:

People are stealing anything. I took pictures of 20 to 25 people breaking in Blue Point electronic to steal anything they could. They saw me taking pictures I feared for my life and biked away.
The hotel 50kw generator is running low on diesel, I went with an employee to NIKIMAT and dove to open the lazaret, 4 out of my 5 Jerry Cans floated (I assume the diesel is good), couldn’t find the 5th one, probably puncture.
I bought the last water bottles at the grocery store next to my hotel, I am good for several weeks.
Army and police are doing their best, but they are very nervous and not enough of them, people still walk at night to try to rob buildings.

Sounds like that is happening in a lot of places in the Carib. Alex's Armel has been his home for nearly 5 years...very sad.

I'd try to talk you down....but they all jump.

21 minutes ago, ARumRunner said:

Fucking looters should be shot on sight.

Feels like 50ish in the gusts. It's raining, but hard to say how much because it's horizontal. Piece of metal flashing is flapping around on my yard equip shed. Old fence on the west is waving around, it will probably fall down. Hoping for a lull so I can move the dyer dink next to it.

10 minutes ago, SloopJonB said:

Fucking looters should be shot on sight.

You are Canadian ?

The Fucking Italian/USA mafia may have infested St. Martin, but it was not USA territory last time I checked.

I just spoke to two of my neighbors.

One still has power! Can't be a real hurricane. His house is only a few hundred yards from mine.

The other was at his restaurant in a place called Cleveland FL. About 2 miles East of I-75 on US 17. He said it's not too bad.

They're expecting the eye very soon. I'm much relieved after talking to them. Still concerned about the surge later tonight but from what they told me the wind was not too bad so far.

45 gusting 60 knots in Tampa Bay Area now. Power has flickered a few times, and I can hear transformers blowing up in the distance.

Posted (edited)

10 minutes ago, Fiji said:

You are Canadian ?

The Fucking Italian/USA mafia may have infested St. Martin, but it was not USA territory last time I checked.

Fuck off, Vilu, take it to Sock Anarchy !!

Edited by Sail4beer
Misspelled word

5 minutes ago, Sail4beer said:

Fuck off, Vilu, take it to Sock Snarchy!!!

Oh, that is very rude to say "Fuck off", still angry at Fiji boy ? He just came home for lunch and says Hi to you !

And god bless you, or something like that...

Radio says about 40,000 customers without power in Hillsborough Co (Tampa), and about 60,000 without power in Pinellas Co (St Pete/Clearwater).  75% of Miami-Dade without power. 

Still on grid here in Gilchrist, but not for long I think.

too soon, but anyone know how the marina in Key Largo fared?  A friend's boat was tied up there............

Daughter in Apollo Beach (east side of Tampa Bay) says shutters starting to rattle and power has flickered some. 

Posted (edited)

42 minutes ago, jack_sparrow said:

images (81).jpg

Good one, I might join them with my flare pistol !
But that's not in Sint Maarten, nor the Caribbean, but in the USA of course.
Best guess for this image: hurricane katrina looting

waterlevels.html.jpg

Edited by Fiji
sorry, can't get rid of that waterlevel image.

Really howling right now. 50s, gusting into 60s? Not sticking my head out to check. Direction must have shifted slightly, b/c the rain is really pelting the LR window.  Still hearing lots of transformers blowing up, power just flickered again. 

The eye passed just east of my home. Which is better than if it passed by on the west side. But still darn close.

2017-09-10-9p.jpg

I'm at a friend's house in Gainesville. Going to try to go home tomorrow or Tuesday.

Cut J bouy in Tampa Bay reported 70mph gust.

Just now, Snore said:

Cut J bouy in Tampa Bay reported 70mph gust.

Yep. Just heard wind is 54 gusting to 69. It's howling outside.

1 minute ago, Uncooperative Tom said:

I'm at a friend's house in Gainesville. Going to try to go home tomorrow or Tuesday.

Might want to think Tuesday.  Have refuges from Burnt Store staying with me.  They have no power in Burnt Store and some collapsed docks.  May have been caused by boats that were hanging off the docks when water got sucked out.

3 minutes ago, Uncooperative Tom said:

Cool. Stay safe and keep us updated.

Just now, Snore said:

Might want to think Tuesday.  Have refuges from Burnt Store staying with me.  They have no power in Burnt Store and some collapsed docks.  May have been caused by boats that were hanging off the docks when water got sucked out.

It wouldn't have occurred to me when tying up for a storm to allow for a huge water drop. 

It's really quite pleasant here.... Cool breeze, light rain...... The dog and the cat refuse to go out...... I'm trying to convince my wife that she ought to go check on the neighbors.....

1 minute ago, Snore said:

After seeing a video of the sound/harbor dry I was wondering about Burnt Store. If it was dry too there is going to be some damage for sure.