• Announcements

• Zapata

Abbreviated rules   07/28/2017

Underdawg did an excellent job of explaining the rules.  Here's the simplified version: Don't insinuate Pedo.  Warning and or timeout for a first offense.  PermaFlick for any subsequent offenses Don't out members.  See above for penalties.  Caveat:  if you have ever used your own real name or personal information here on the forums since, like, ever - it doesn't count and you are fair game. If you see spam posts, report it to the mods.  We do not hang out in every thread 24/7 If you see any of the above, report it to the mods by hitting the Report button in the offending post.   We do not take action for foul language, off-subject content, or abusive behavior unless it escalates to persistent stalking.  There may be times that we might warn someone or flick someone for something particularly egregious.  There is no standard, we will know it when we see it.  If you continually report things that do not fall into rules #1 or 2 above, you may very well get a timeout yourself for annoying the Mods with repeated whining.  Use your best judgement. Warnings, timeouts, suspensions and flicks are arbitrary and capricious.  Deal with it.  Welcome to anarchy.   If you are a newbie, there are unwritten rules to adhere to.  They will be explained to you soon enough.  
A-NU-START

Irma

1,448 posts in this topic

1 hour ago, Fiji said:

Care to quote the source ?     "There appears to be survivors on Key West", really ?

Miami Herald / Key West:

"Not that the locals mind — by Sunday afternoon, as Irma’s winds continued to slam the island, two bars on Duval Street had already reopened. They were packed."

41 minutes ago, Fiji said:

Miami Herald / Key West:

"Not that the locals mind — by Sunday afternoon, as Irma’s winds continued to slam the island, two bars on Duval Street had already reopened. They were packed."

Hah. The Celtic Ray in Punta Gorda didn't close during Charlie.

It was pretty funny when all the other businesses started putting up "WE'RE OPEN AGAIN!" signs. The Ray put up a "WE NEVER CLOSED" sign.

4 hours ago, Fiji said:

Care to quote the source ?     "There appears to be survivors on Key West", really ?

Fuck off troll. Quote me on that 

You gotta love when your old hometown is fucking destroyed and an asshole troll takes time from looking for Rimas in Fiji with his Christian family to pull his little dick out and piss on The Keys.

34 minutes ago, Sail4beer said:

You gotta love when your old hometown is fucking destroyed and an asshole troll takes time from looking for Rimas in Fiji with his Christian family to pull his little dick out and piss on The Keys.

Yup. Fiji hasn't provided any positive benefit since he put that sock on.

18 hours ago, Rasputin22 said:

Proa,

Looks like the Irma imagery is already up on Google Earth but even more cloudy than St John. However I think I found a certain trimaran still of a friends upright with no other boats sitting on top of it and hope this is true. I played around with some of the editing tools in GE and tweaked contrast to get a better look. I know that there is a clouds layer in GE and have it turned off but this latest 9/11 imagery seems to have the cloud cover at the time right in the image. I can scroll back the timeline of the image but doesn't show the tri in that position. Checking that previous date is last February so the boat wasn't even hauled at that time. When I scroll or pan I see a brief unclouded image for a fraction of a second but I think it is before the latest KML data gets overlaid. You are better at that 'behind the scenes' programming stuff but at least I think there is hope for the tri. She had her mast out and hope it is OK. Got to tell the owner but give me your opinion of what I'm getting out of GE so as to not raise false hopes. 

This is a zoomed in actual location link if you want to see for yourself.    18°02'33.94" N  63°06'12.44" W

Trimaran?

Yep, that's my boat! 

Apparently central FL is a mess:

"I’m writing this from a phone hotspot, which is the only source of internet access (probably because cables are down all over) and using the fuel remaining in the generator. to power up the drained laptop.   I haven’t seen a second of TV (and don’t care to) and have no idea what media is saying about storm.  However, if radio talk is any indicator, these pontificating doofuses are stuck in their Vichy boxes not looking past the coastal metropolitan areas.

The center of Florida is rural, farming, working class, and also lots of poor people. The coasts are more well-off. I think all the attention is going to the coasts. The center of the state is of Florida is FUBAR. Truth. Really bad. Those fine God-loving people didn’t have much and now they have less."...

The unwritten stories are the people in the center of the state. Bigly. Kids with no shoes; desperate moms; no food now; the few belongings they did have washed away or blown away.

The above happens to be from a political site, but it is not a political post.

https://theconservativetreehouse.com/2017/09/11/irmas-aftermath-a-ground-report/

my friend's boat in Clearwater beach made it though unscathed ...so did one of my YC's member's boats in Key Largo...but my friend's house inear Orlando got swamped with water...............mother nature picks and chooses randomly 

Friends in Orlando made it through ok.  Their lake dock was underwater but their house was fine.  She says they're getting power back today or tomorrow.

Anyone hear how the nuke plants fared?

Got back yesterday to West Palm from Orlando. No damage to my house (other than my kitchen faucet only trickling water) but my development has a LOT of trees, tree limbs, and plant debris. Power is on so everyone is out cutting and hauling. 

Now back to my plans for a trailer sailor I can store in a concrete block building during times like these.

As I was watching the storm on radar, there were constant tornado warnings flashing in a line roughly from Melbourne to Clermont. I imagine a few homes were hit. My sister is a few miles outside of Clermont (which is north of Lakeland and west of Orlando), and she says there's some damage. Her place is ok, though without power for some time...they're at the very end of the grid. BIL probably has set up a generator. 

My street in St Pete continues to have power (we're near the beginning of grid) but I hear a lot of generators on nearby streets. Also, a lot of FB friends asking for generators. Our street lights are out though. Power is slow getting restored, but the numbers are staggering.  

The other big problem is gas is still in short supply...people who evacuated to GA and SC are stranded because there's not enough gas to get back. There's also a shortage of 5 gal gas jugs, so they can't carry gas with them. 

Most businesses were closed yesterday, several resturants and cafes opened late aft/evening and served food until they ran out. Pretty busy. People getting real tired of eating their hurricane food stash. Grocery stores still closed yesterday, hopefully open today.

Barrier islands were opened yesterday at 4...not sure why it took so long as there was no damage except for downed power lines on Clearwater Beach.

Not counting the Caribbean Islands, just FL, it appears that we all expected this this to be nuclear, wiping the surface of the earth clean the way Hurricane Andrew did.  Nothing sounds like things are devastated (some in the Keys apparently are), but most of FL is power outages, knocked over fences, trees down, low level flooding (not the surge that submerged the 1st & 2nd floors), wet carpets, street signs down, etc.  Even in Naples with a recorded gust of 142mph, the trailer parks have the homes in the same positions with siding and screen porches ripped off.  Tons and tons of people with minor damage, and a smaller crowd with major damage.  Does anyone see it differently?

9 minutes ago, Glenn McCarthy said:

Not counting the Caribbean Islands, just FL, it appears that we all expected this this to be nuclear, wiping the surface of the earth clean the way Hurricane Andrew did.  Nothing sounds like things are devastated (some in the Keys apparently are), but most of FL is power outages, knocked over fences, trees down, low level flooding (not the surge that submerged the 1st & 2nd floors), wet carpets, street signs down, etc.  Even in Naples with a recorded gust of 142mph, the trailer parks have the homes in the same positions with siding and screen porches ripped off.  Tons and tons of people with minor damage, and a smaller crowd with major damage.  Does anyone see it differently?

There's pockets of damage and flooding. Florida's west coast from Ft Myers north has pretty minor damage and little flooding. The storm being inland spared us. There's places on the east coast that got some big flooding. Keys of course were heavily damaged. Up the center of state is relatively lightly populated...it sounds like all wind damage...carports blowing away and stuff.

The Cuban coast knocked a lot of oomph out of the storm...could have been much much worse with just a slightly different track. 

Anyone know how the marinas around Daytona Beach fared?  My boss has his live-aboard Bristol 40 berthed there and can't get any info.

8 minutes ago, MauganTornado said:

Anyone know how the marinas around Daytona Beach fared?  My boss has his live-aboard Bristol 40 berthed there and can't get any info.

I have not seen any reports from Melborne to Daytona.  I did hear reports of much boat damage in Miami and up in St Augustine/ Jacksonville.

3 hours ago, RKoch said:

There's pockets of damage and flooding. Florida's west coast from Ft Myers north has pretty minor damage and little flooding. The storm being inland spared us. There's places on the east coast that got some big flooding. Keys of course were heavily damaged. Up the center of state is relatively lightly populated...it sounds like all wind damage...carports blowing away and stuff.

The Cuban coast knocked a lot of oomph out of the storm...could have been much much worse with just a slightly different track. 

Atlantic coast flooding had a pretty long reach.  Jacksonville flooded for the first time since records began.  Charleston saw almost 10' of storm surge, the highest since Hugo (and putting up to 4' of water in parts of the city, and over the barrier islands).  

Anyone know how bad Cuba was hit?

8 hours ago, Blue Crab said:

Yup. Fiji hasn't provided any positive benefit since he put that sock on.

He has added a considerable negative value though.

I got home today. Perhaps a third of the leaves are gone from my oak trees. One (out of hundreds) fell.

We have power and water.

I didn't see a single shingle missing or any other roof damage in Punta Gorda nor Port Charlotte, my houses included.

There are lots of things laying around in my yard where I had to leave them when I fled. Things that would have flown in a hurricane.

So I'm thinking maybe this whole hurricane thing was FAKE NEWS!

3 minutes ago, Uncooperative Tom said:

I got home today. Perhaps a third of the leaves are gone from my oak trees. One (out of hundreds) fell.

We have power and water.

I didn't see a single shingle missing or any other roof damage in Punta Gorda nor Port Charlotte, my houses included.

There are lots of things laying around in my yard where I had to leave them when I fled. Things that would have flown in a hurricane.

So I'm thinking maybe this whole hurricane thing was FAKE NEWS!

So, you thickeng Irma wase Trumpe conspiracey?

Nah, goes way deeper than Trump. "They" might have done it. I'll check around for nanothermite.

13 minutes ago, Uncooperative Tom said:

Nah, goes way deeper than Trump. "They" might have done it. I'll check around for nanothermite.

PM Randumb - he'll know who did it.

33 minutes ago, Snaggletooth said:

Illaratti?

"Illiterati -- if you can read this, you're not one of us."

2 hours ago, Snaggletooth said:

Illaratti?

Gophers...

suckitirma.thumb.jpg.d9f501472512b2bb1934b36dbba0c520.jpg

RKoch, Uncoop Tom and others, thanks so much for the local updates, they are my appreciated.  Heading down in two weeks to visit relatives and was also planning to spend time in the keys (thinking that is not happening given infrastructure!), so nice to know what to expect.  Feel free to keep them coming with info on the basics (gas avail, electric, etc).

I've now heard from all of my friends down in various parts of Florida and they're all safe and sound with no damage other than a dock that was underwater.  My boss' liveaboard boat in Halifax Harbor Marina seems to be ok.

Most of them have power.

12 hours ago, Uncooperative Tom said:

How's the plywood?

Coconut Grove got hit hard.

Large sail boat in the parking lot of sailing club. Email said bottom floor is destroyed

48 minutes ago, @last said:

RKoch, Uncoop Tom and others, thanks so much for the local updates, they are my appreciated.  Heading down in two weeks to visit relatives and was also planning to spend time in the keys (thinking that is not happening given infrastructure!), so nice to know what to expect.  Feel free to keep them coming with info on the basics (gas avail, electric, etc).

Traffic south from Ga still bad, that should clear up by this weekend. Will have gas by then too. Power should be fully restored in Pinellas, Pasco, and Hillsborough Counties by Midnight Friday. Might be a couple weeks in South Florida...there was 4 million customers without power there. It'll be several weeks before the Keys are cleared and have utilities restored. Key Largo to Islamorada, plus Key West mostly intact. In between is heavily damaged, especially Marathon to Big Pine Key.

Looks like Fazisi on the beach. Rig still up, might be salvageable.

image.jpg

Saw that Soma is on site helping and donated a large sum for recovery.  Article in a Boston newspaper.  

Is there any help, beyond donations, that one can offer remotely? Operations and logistics coordiantion or other help. 

hdra,

Not to be a grammar police but, here at SA we never end a sentence with a preposition.

Old joke actually;

A Texan is visiting a friend at Harvard, and they agree to meet at the library. He's a bit lost, so he stops a passing student. Texan: "'Scuse me, could you tell me where the library's at?" Student: "Around here, we don't end our sentences with prepositions." Texan: "All right, could you tell me where the library's at, asshole?"

9 minutes ago, hdra said:

RKoch, where is Fazisi ashore at?

The pictures were from Key West.

Why U.S. Weather Forecasters Missed Irma By 194 Miles
American meteorologists lag behind Europeans predicting storm paths; even the Air Force relies on British weather models.
By Sarah Okeson / DC Report, September 12, 2017

Our country’s best weather forecasters missed the path that Hurricane Irma would take by an average of about 194 nautical miles in their five-day forecasts, a difference more than twice as big as their European counterparts.
[...]
On Sept. 1, when Irma was still in the mid-Atlantic, CNN showed the different path projections as predicted by the American model (red) and the more accurate Europen model (blue).

CNN-American-model-300x157.jpg.16a7eb4085e21416a27171b4045b6499.jpg CNN-Euro-model-300x156.jpg.8a115ad99055275fa47cb15ca318c337.jpg

[...]
The average error from 2011 to 2015 for five-day forecasts of the path of hurricanes from the National Hurricane Center was 222 nautical miles, said Ryan Torn, an associate professor at the State University of New York at Albany who works with the center.

25 minutes ago, ProaSailor said:

American meteorologists lag behind Europeans predicting storm paths; even the Air Force relies on British weather models.

Hey now, don't lump me in that American batch. I nailed it including the  St Maarten, Barbuda and BVI track/intensity/storm diameter. delayed left turn below the keys along with intensity and the future more northerly track.  East eye wall around marathon and the west between Big Pine and Key West.

Condolences to all affected by this terrible disaster. It is almost unimaginable destruction of not just property but people's lives and way of life. 

1 hour ago, Rasputin22 said:

hdra,

Not to be a grammar police but, here at SA we never end a sentence with a preposition.

Old joke actually;

A Texan is visiting a friend at Harvard, and they agree to meet at the library. He's a bit lost, so he stops a passing student. Texan: "'Scuse me, could you tell me where the library's at?" Student: "Around here, we don't end our sentences with prepositions." Texan: "All right, could you tell me where the library's at, asshole?"

That is the sort of arrant pedantry up with which I will not put.

2 hours ago, Chum said:

How's the plywood?

Pretty much completely rotten at this point, but the remains are still well secured by vines that I probably should have attacked a month or two ago.

I did discover some fleet damage. One end of my friend's kayak blew off a sawhorse in the driveway. We will rebuild!

1 hour ago, Rasputin22 said:

hdra,

Old joke actually;

Another old one:

Same Harvard student and I were walking out of the men's room, he noticed i had not washed my hands.

Him: "At Harvard they taught us to wash our hands after urinating"

Me: "At Northwestern they taught me not to piss on my hands."

39 minutes ago, ProaSailor said:

Mixing facts a bit in this article.  The NHC Track forecast is a mix of multiple models adjusted by human forecasters, including subjective analysis of the ongoing accuracy for each model in regards to a particular storm.  The commercial, fee based "European Model" is one of the models that NHC uses in establishing their predicted track. As stated in the article, the 5 day errors in general for both the ECMWF and "US" models are similar in magnitude when looked at across multiple storms. 

IIRC, the ECMWF runs every 12 hours and uses a lot more data inputs where the GFS runs every 4 hours with some simpler algorithms to reduce run time.  Neither is perfect and both have their strengths and weaknesses.  Not to say the GFS can't be improved.

25 minutes ago, Uncooperative Tom said:

Pretty much completely rotten at this point, but the remains are still well secured by vines that I probably should have attacked a month or two ago.

I did discover some fleet damage. One end of my friend's kayak blew off a sawhorse in the driveway. We will rebuild!

Hey Tom - can you PM me? I've got a question for you.

14 hours ago, Raz'r said:

Gophers...

The Pentaverate!

1 hour ago, Uncooperative Tom said:

Good. We have friends near Ft ************ and they lost screens and a few shingles, and all the leaves off their trees... dunno if they kept power or have it back yet.

FB- Doug

22 minutes ago, DFL1010 said:

Five dead in Florida nursing home that lost power during Hurricane Irma

https://www.theguardian.com/us-news/2017/sep/

13/florida-nursing-home-hurricane-irma

I'm surprised they weren't evacuated to a special needs shelter. That's very sad. Have to wait for more details of what happened.

Many stories coming out of CO deaths and hospitalization due to improper generator use.

FB rumors (unsubstantiated) of a dozen or more deaths in the hardest hit area of the Keys.

An elementary school in Tampa caught fire and burned last night shortly after power was restored. Vacant, no injuries.

Disaster map of hurricane Irma.  Click on the "layers", select Civil Air Patrol Imagery and then zoom in on Puerto Rico /St Thomas/St John USVI to see images of damaged areas.

http://google.org/crisismap/2017-irma

1 hour ago, HypnoToad said:

All do respect to the dead, but isn't the whole state of Florida a nursing home?

The old saying...Newlyweds and nearlydeads.

...I heard that pets and zoos were evacuated.... but not federal jails.  :mellow:

1 hour ago, RKoch said:

I'm surprised they weren't evacuated to a special needs shelter. That's very sad. Have to wait for more details of what happened.

Many stories coming out of CO deaths and hospitalization due to improper generator use.

FB rumors (unsubstantiated) of a dozen or more deaths in the hardest hit area of the Keys.

An elementary school in Tampa caught fire and burned last night shortly after power was restored. Vacant, no injuries.

Update: 6th person from the nursing home died. Apparently they lost power, had no generator, and no A/C.

46 minutes ago, couchsurfer said:

...I heard that pets and zoos were evacuated.... but not federal jails.  :mellow:

Sounds like some good judgement being applied.

57 minutes ago, RKoch said:

Update: 6th person from the nursing home died. Apparently they lost power, had no generator, and no A/C.

they were next door to a tier one hospital.   this is now a criminal investigation.  Question is  - were they not monitored  or - was 911 called and there was slow to no response.       with proximity to hospital why did staff not respond more quickly....turns out this only came to light when a doctor came to examine a heart patient...

11 minutes ago, Kingstonsail said:

they were next door to a tier one hospital.   this is now a criminal investigation.  Question is  - were they not monitored  or - was 911 called and there was slow to no response.       with proximity to hospital why did staff not respond more quickly....turns out this only came to light when a doctor came to examine a heart patient...

I would think there would be a criminal investigation. I don't know details. Florida gives lip-service to regulating nursing homes, but doesn't fund the resources needed. As a result, there's a lot of sleazy operators that slide through the cracks for years. Often it's absentee owners looking to maximize profits, and low-paid staff who are poorly trained or simply don't give a fuck. 

Edit : from Sun-Sentinal:

"

Friend of mine just got back from a relief mission to St Barts. Says there was a confirmed recorded max wind speed of 363K/PH. Another recording of just over 400KPH not confirmed. 

On 9/11/2017 at 4:18 PM, jack_sparrow said:

Residual Current Devices/Earth Leakage Detectors/GFI's (different countrIes different names) rely on mother earth taking current through the body back to the point of supply and with that current difference they will trip. Typical portable Generators and Inverters are not grounded so these safety devices will not work however your risk is only that of the human body bridging the active and neutral. However there is no device that will protect you against that.

Nope.  Residual current devices are the same as GFCI's, but earth leakage detectors are something entirely different. 

Residual current device or GFI's basically compares live & neutral, and trips if they don't match up.  Ground/earth plays no role in this, there is no connection to the ground/earth, just live & neutral.

Earth leakage detectors work by detecting stary current on the ground/earth.  They're connected to live, neutral and ground/earth.

A GFI or residual current device should work fine on a generator, grounded or not. 

An earth leakage device would not work on an un-grounded generator.  It also wouldn't protect you from any appliance that doesn't have 3 prongs.  But nobody uses them for anything anymore, so it's a moot point. 

Where's the sound on that video?  A light bulb in a bucket of water isn't a ground fault, the water is isolated by the bucket.  Only reason it tripped, was because he stuck his hand in the bucket.  So it's not really an accurate side-by-side comparison.  Of course, if he'd done that with the first generator, he would have gotten electrocuted.

Exactly - GFCI outlets compare current in and out. They assume if what goes out the hot doesn't come back on the neutral, it went someplace else and likely that place is bad. Imagine a relay with two coils that fight each other and either one can open the circuit. They have to stay balanced to keep the relay closed and the threshold to open is below what will harm a person.

7 hours ago, Student_Driver said:

Is there any help, beyond donations, that one can offer remotely? Operations and logistics coordiantion or other help. 

Here is a link to a list of resources compiled by the Caribbean Sailing Association.  All our regattas are going ahead as planned.  Coming down and participating is one of the best things you can do.

https://caribbean-sailing.com/how-to-help-those-devastated-by-hurricane-irma/

Something cool. The storm stirred up an old cypress dugout canoe from the mud and washed it ashore. Indian River, I believe. State archeologists are coming to pick it up. Lucky thing it wasn't just hauled to dump with other debris. Could be 200 years old, could be 2000 years old.

https://m.facebook.com/randy.shots/posts/pcb.1601130489943647/?photo_id=1601130189943677&mds=%2Fphotos%2Fviewer%2F%3Fphotoset_token%3Dpcb.1601130489943647%26photo%3D1601130189943677%26profileid%3D728416578%26source%3D48%26refid%3D28%26_ft_%3Dqid.6465396502750157927%3Amf_story_key.-3802255723175319964%3Atop_level_post_id.10214216651113788%26__tn__%3DEHH-R%26cached_data%3Dtrue%26ftid%3D&mdf=1

4 minutes ago, RKoch said:

Something cool. The storm stirred up an old cypress dugout canoe from the mud and washed it ashore. Indian River, I believe. State archeologists are coming to pick it up. Lucky thing it wasn't just hauled to dump with other debris. Could be 200 years old, could be 2000 years old.

Wadeaminute! This is a plot of Randy Wayne White. Or another FL writer. This is the one where chimps eat off faces. NTTIAWWT

Local news says there are still a bunch of nursing homes without power, which isn't surprising when you think about it. I hope we don't see more deaths.

People need to know, Uncooperative Tom, did the plywood blow away or not???:(

16 minutes ago, Norse Horse said:

People need to know, Uncooperative Tom, did the plywood blow away or not???:(

12 hours ago, Uncooperative Tom said:

The rotten plywood table has outlasted not only the Flyin' Hawaiian, but all three of Rimas's boats and Rimas himself. Long live the plywood!

I got the Shell Creek flooding report from my neighbor's boy last night. He said that the bench by our boat ramp was completely under water. Down at the RR track (where an 8' tall boat can pass at high tide), the water was almost touching the bottom of the bridge. No getting by. Up at the dam, you could drive a powerboat right up and over the dam! Yes, and clear the wire on top, And yes, he meant with an outboard, not the jet ski. I asked. There's only one way a teenage boy learns this information. I'm glad it didn't go horribly wrong. I have to admit there's still a teenage boy inside me that would LOVE to floor my little skiff right over the dam.

This dam:

water-over-dam.jpg

His grandfather owns a house just downstream. Water came within inches of getting inside but never did.

The boat ramp in question is still under water between these two downed trees.

That's our other neighbor's dock in the background on the right. The fixed portion was still under water last night. You're looking at the floating part, which is usually (sometimes steeply) downhill.

The bench is an ordinary bench just out of the pic on the left.

To almost touch the RR bridge, water must have been several feet up those poles. It was a foot or so higher two days ago and I didn't want to wade down. Last night I had to drive my cart through 6-12" deep flowing water on parts of the road down.

21740682_10212238087821402_2963787700394

On 12/09/2017 at 6:18 AM, jack_sparrow said:

Residual Current Devices/Earth Leakage Detectors/GFI's (different countrIes different names) rely on mother earth taking current through the body back to the point of supply and with that current difference they will trip. Typical portable Generators and Inverters are not grounded so these safety devices will not work however your risk is only that of the human body bridging the active and neutral. However there is no device that will protect you against that.

There are things called Residual Voltage Detectors that will trip if they detect a voltage difference >50 V AC (the human heart in trouble after 50v). These are ideal safety devices for portable generators and inverters however they are difficult to source.

Fixed Generator/Inverters such as on a boats will have the ground and neutral bonded together so residual current safety devices can work.

Here is a demonstration of residual voltage devise with a portable generator.

13 hours ago, frenchie said:

Nope.  Residual current devices are the same as GFCI's, but earth leakage detectors are something entirely different. 

Residual current device or GFI's basically compares live & neutral, and trips if they don't match up.  Ground/earth plays no role in this, there is no connection to the ground/earth, just live & neutral.

Earth leakage detectors work by detecting stary current on the ground/earth.  They're connected to live, neutral and ground/earth.

A GFI or residual current device should work fine on a generator, grounded or not. 

An earth leakage device would not work on an un-grounded generator.  It also wouldn't protect you from any appliance that doesn't have 3 prongs.  But nobody uses them for anything anymore, so it's a moot point. 

Where's the sound on that video?  A light bulb in a bucket of water isn't a ground fault, the water is isolated by the bucket.  Only reason it tripped, was because he stuck his hand in the bucket.  So it's not really an accurate side-by-side comparison.  Of course, if he'd done that with the first generator, he would have gotten electrocuted.

12 hours ago, kent_island_sailor said:

Exactly - GFCI outlets compare current in and out. They assume if what goes out the hot doesn't come back on the neutral, it went someplace else and likely that place is bad. Imagine a relay with two coils that fight each other and either one can open the circuit. They have to stay balanced to keep the relay closed and the threshold to open is below what will harm a person.

Playing semantics guys and on some points deadly wrong. I'm offshore at the moment so will explain when I get a chance as maybe I wasn't clear.

I'm typically very leery of organizations getting aid DIRECTLY to the needy. But, being an entrepreneur, sailor, and adventurer myself, I've long followed & trust Richard Branson and the work Virgin does through Virgin Unite. I just gave and I encourage you to do the same. Take a look at his 5 plan points via the link below - and his promise that all donations go to directly to those who need it. He covers the other costs (admin, overhead, etc.) himself. Mad respect for that. As an ex-US Peace Corps volunteer, Virgin Unite has nailed it.

https://www.virgin.com/unite/bvi-community-support-appeal

Just got internet back. Still on generator power. Lots of big trees down. Glad I didn't have 96 solar panels installed on the roof last week.

Heard from a friend on St. John..... "There's no neighborhood to rebuild".....

2 hours ago, smackdaddy said:

I'm typically very leery of organizations getting aid DIRECTLY to the needy. But, being an entrepreneur, sailor, and adventurer myself, I've long followed & trust Richard Branson and the work Virgin does through Virgin Unite. I just gave and I encourage you to do the same. Take a look at his 5 plan points via the link below - and his promise that all donations go to directly to those who need it. He covers the other costs (admin, overhead, etc.) himself. Mad respect for that. As an ex-US Peace Corps volunteer, Virgin Unite has nailed it.

https://www.virgin.com/unite/bvi-community-support-appeal

My wife used to work for Richard, and says everything that other people give, he gives double.

Thanks for the comments on Virgin Unite.

More pics from Key West coming as they slowly get online:

21751612_10159301896210164_5768321298827

Looks like something from the FP a couple years ago...

11354755_695701693889574_767377378_n.jpg

INCOMING

There is a strong possibility of a tropical storm or maybe a hurricane hitting somewhere between Martinique and Barbuda on Monday.

Islands as far South as Grenada are likely to experience unusual WESTERLY winds of 20 knots and there exists the possibility of damaging swells. 

Weather guru Cris Parker has issued a warning that this storm due to hit on Monday might intensify very rapidly and hit as a Cat 3 or 4

53 minutes ago, TQA said:

INCOMING

There is a strong possibility of a tropical storm or maybe a hurricane hitting somewhere between Martinique and Barbuda on Monday.

Islands as far South as Grenada are likely to experience unusual WESTERLY winds of 20 knots and there exists the possibility of damaging swells. 

I just saw a story that for the first time in 300 years - no one is living on Barbuda. Insane.

96L

rgb_lalo-animated.gif

* ATLANTIC     SHIPS INTENSITY FORECAST          *
                    * IR SAT DATA AVAILABLE,       OHC AVAILABLE     *
                    *  INVEST      AL962017  09/16/17  00 UTC        *

TIME (HR)          0     6    12    18    24    36    48    60    72    84    96   108   120
V (KT) NO LAND    30    33    37    42    48    59    72    82    92    96   105   114   116

SHEAR (KT)         6     5     6    10    15     3     3    10     6     8     4     4     2
SHEAR ADJ (KT)     3     1    -2    -4    -3     3     1     1     3     3     1     0    -1
SHEAR DIR        145   188   181   159   171   177   355   336   302   354   114   325    70
SST (C)         29.2  29.2  29.2  29.3  29.3  29.4  29.5  29.4  29.3  29.4  29.5  29.6  29.6

LAND (KM)       1036   931   862   821   737   421   318   375   524   493   224   188   179
LAT (DEG N)     11.6  12.2  12.7  13.0  13.0  12.2  11.9  12.9  15.1  16.6  16.8  16.3  16.3
LONG(DEG W)     45.8  48.2  50.6  52.8  54.6  57.4  58.3  58.3  59.0  61.4  64.2  66.2  67.0
STM SPEED (KT)    24    24    23    20    17    10     1     9    12    15    12     7     3
HEAT CONTENT      35    21    27    50    49    68    69    75    58    24    72    92   116

FORECAST TRACK FROM TABM      INITIAL HEADING/SPEED (DEG/KT):285/ 24      CX,CY: -22/  6
  T-12 MAX WIND:  25            PRESSURE OF STEERING LEVEL (MB):  454  (MEAN=618)

96L_intensity_latest.png

So do we start a new Lee and Maria thread?  Might be a good idea.  Lee (the Westerly one) will be a bad one, I think.  Antilles again.

GFS is picking it up better than EC, so here's the GFS. Track is towards Hispaniola.

al96GFS.png.a540f9a56184efaadbc4e24dd24937ec.png

1 minute ago, P_Wop said:

So do we start a new Lee and Maria thread?  Might be a good idea.  Lee (the Westerly one) will be a bad one, I think.  Antilles again.

Maybe a "boiling Atlantic" thread?