• Announcements

• Zapata

Abbreviated rules   07/28/2017

Underdawg did an excellent job of explaining the rules.  Here's the simplified version: Don't insinuate Pedo.  Warning and or timeout for a first offense.  PermaFlick for any subsequent offenses Don't out members.  See above for penalties.  Caveat:  if you have ever used your own real name or personal information here on the forums since, like, ever - it doesn't count and you are fair game. If you see spam posts, report it to the mods.  We do not hang out in every thread 24/7 If you see any of the above, report it to the mods by hitting the Report button in the offending post.   We do not take action for foul language, off-subject content, or abusive behavior unless it escalates to persistent stalking.  There may be times that we might warn someone or flick someone for something particularly egregious.  There is no standard, we will know it when we see it.  If you continually report things that do not fall into rules #1 or 2 above, you may very well get a timeout yourself for annoying the Mods with repeated whining.  Use your best judgement. Warnings, timeouts, suspensions and flicks are arbitrary and capricious.  Deal with it.  Welcome to anarchy.   If you are a newbie, there are unwritten rules to adhere to.  They will be explained to you soon enough.  
A-NU-START

Irma

1,448 posts in this topic

2 minutes ago, Rule69 said:

Maybe a "boiling Atlantic" thread?

Dadgummit, and there's another 2 months in the season.  OK, do you want to start it or do I?

Just now, P_Wop said:

Dadgummit, and there's another 2 months in the season.  OK, do you want to start it or do I?

Go for it.

6 hours ago, P_Wop said:

True but really it's two weeks.

If you look at when hurricanes happen, they've happened in every month.

If you look at when they REALLY happen, it's August and September.

That's why I dread August so much. Even if there are no hurricanes, it's just friggin' hot. And I like heat. And September is no better.

But October most certainly IS better. That's when the first real cold front reaches us most years. OK, so it's the end of October, but still, it's October. Once a cold front has come through, the chances of a hurricane hitting fall almost off the chart.

The power company guys are killing it. Just on Facebook and several friends have joyous posts announcing restoration of power.

One sailor girl posted a photo of an FPL convoy getting off the interstate at our exit. She said she removed her shirt to wave at them properly. She's fun and might not have been kidding.

14 hours ago, Uncooperative Tom said:

The power company guys are killing it. Just on Facebook and several friends have joyous posts announcing restoration of power.

One sailor girl posted a photo of an FPL convoy getting off the interstate at our exit. She said she removed her shirt to wave at them properly. She's fun and might not have been kidding.

Good! Last time we had a major storm knock out big areas of electric around here, I brought the linemen coffee and pizza. They probably would rather see her.

FB- Doug

On 9/14/2017 at 6:22 AM, Uncooperative Tom said:

I got the Shell Creek flooding report from my neighbor's boy last night. He said that the bench by our boat ramp was completely under water. Down at the RR track (where an 8' tall boat can pass at high tide), the water was almost touching the bottom of the bridge. No getting by. Up at the dam, you could drive a powerboat right up and over the dam! Yes, and clear the wire on top, And yes, he meant with an outboard, not the jet ski. I asked. There's only one way a teenage boy learns this information. I'm glad it didn't go horribly wrong. I have to admit there's still a teenage boy inside me that would LOVE to floor my little skiff right over the dam.

This dam:

water-over-dam.jpg

It looked a little different yesterday. It was as high as I have ever seen. The thing is, it ROSE to this level before. It's now DOWN to this level after falling for several days.

21457769_10212256893731538_2440838622192

That's a big, long buffet for tarpon and snook. They've been swarming. I have seen more large tarpon in the creek in the past week than in the past 30 years.

I took the previous dam photo because I was impressed at the large amount of water coming over. Toward the end of our winter drought, water stops flowing over this dam at all most years. The state's Grand Management Plan requires a certain amount of year-round flow but our snowbirds require a certain amount of water. Guess who wins.

End of March of this year. You can see a little water coming through the dam but none coming over.

shellcrkdamMarch2017.jpg

Yesterday. It's hard to see the wire so I highlighted parts of it in yellow. I still can't believe the neighbor boy drove his skiff over that wire. Also still pissed I didn't get to do it too.

shellcrkdamIrma2017.jpg

The neighbor boy was extremely lucky. Low head dams like that create terminal hydraulics. It's extraordinarily easy to drown in those things. Please tell him to never do that again, and have him watch this. 

Will do, Mr. Moon.

(and the teenage boy inside me would like to add: FU! Darn grownups always ruining fun!)

We have low dams like that on the Potomac that keep enough water trapped to provide drinking water. They drown people almost every year :o

23 hours ago, RKoch said:

Update on the dugout canoe... initial examination dates it from several decades to a few hundred years old. A cut nail was found, meaning it's not pre-contact. Currently being preserved and will get a closer examination and carbon dating.

https://m.facebook.com/story.php?story_fbid=1534364963287288&id=585881174802343

Cool, thanks for sharing.  Again thanks to all for the updates to you and others.  Starting the trek south on Saturday and also had a few anxious moments watching the hurricane's path as I made a new (used) addition from the dark side recently and have not even seen it yet in person.  Thankfully it took a turn to the right and sounds like from the storage place that it is ok.  Change of plan from week in the keys on it though, will be headed to lighthouse point instead and doing a little day tripping along the ICW there.

1 hour ago, MisterMoon said:

May we all survive our youth. No one likes going to a teenager's funeral. 

Indeed. My favorite quote from my mother, who raised 14 children- "every adult is a miracle".

10 hours ago, kent_island_sailor said:

We have low dams like that on the Potomac that keep enough water trapped to provide drinking water. They drown people almost every year :o

I have heard that one person drowned at our dam a long time ago. A man in a skiff somehow swamped and drowned.

People walk out on it and fish. They're not supposed to, but I see it all the time. If you slip, you'll fall a few feet onto rocks. It would be unfun but probably survivable.

I guess that wire on it to be about 3 feet above the concrete. About 2 feet of water coming over the top in my pic. We usually consider 6 inches coming over to be a LOT.

Noaa satellite imagery of some of the areas effected by Irma.  If you look at the north side of St John, near Francis bay, someone has "Send Tesla" spelled out on the grass .

https://storms.ngs.noaa.gov/storms/irma/index.html

survived 

a  cat 1 here  ONLY 

but prep for a cat 5 185mph damm near  killed us 

then no power + heat all most finished the job

then power came back on only to go out again 

still no net or cable or phone cells spotty

at libary to post and get E-mails 

On 9/7/2017 at 3:49 PM, Uncooperative Tom said:

So does Florida have a Cracker Navy like the Cajun Navy?

We might need one.

It turns out that the answer is yes, but they drive trucks.

FB videos this morning from the flyfishing guide from whom we bought our 'toon boat. Loading a truck and heading to the Keys, then video of driving past what was an RV park and other wreckage in Marathon.

I don't know who, if anyone, is organizing this effort. I do know that this guy has a business to run and doesn't really have time to be shuttling water down to the Keys. Yet there he goes.

So, if you're in the area, say thanks by supporting West Wall Outfitters

Irma's winds were strong enough in St Pete to snap off and topple a 65' range tower. Near Ft DeSoto.

image.jpg

just got back on line this AM at home here is my long version

house is fine no damage other then a few shingles
and minor drips from the post andrew 25+ year old roof
lots of branches broken but all the trees survived
we only got cat 1 winds 70 mph with 80-90 in gusts
lost power for 2 days then got power on for two more days then it died again for 2 more
ran power across the street to my cuban deer hunter buddy when I had it
and after we all lost power he got loaned a generator and ran us power back the same way

thankfully we had a battery powered fan [6 D-cells] to move air
and ace HW store had more D-cells after the storm to keep it running
used a car battery and a car radio inside for info
and a 18v garden LED spotlight worked fine on 12 volts to see or read
was only $12 at wal mart for the LED garden spotlite and was in abundance after the storm
I just cut off the connector and hooked up direct to the car battery
neg is the ribbed side wire + is plain

an other idea for a fan

one that I am kicking myself over not remembering I had but forgot and didnot use

is a radiator fan they run on 12volts and produce a good breeze

nice on a front hatch on a calm nite at anchor also

lots of cuts and bruises from the board up and clean up ect but no real injury's

only real loss was 1/2 bigger KOI in the pool do to debris and no air pumps running
my 18v power tools were a savior and I bought at HD a hand held Ryobi air inflation pump
that saved the remaining KOI and GF with it's 18v Li batterys

separate question on the eyewall and newer steel roof panels ?

did any fail bend or blow away ? here in this one,or  down island or texas ?

with common cat 4-5 storms I am wondering if they are worth it ?

and survived the test of the cat 5 real world ?

7 hours ago, nota said:

separate question on the eyewall and newer steel roof panels ?

did any fail bend or blow away ? here in this one,or  down island or texas ?

with common cat 4-5 storms I am wondering if they are worth it ?

and survived the test of the cat 5 real world ?

Metal roofs seemed to do best in Charlie and Andrew but a lot of it is what happens to hit your roof. If the answer to that question is "a giant tree" or something, it won't matter what material is on top.

My neighbor in Miami had NO damage to his asphalt shingle roof from Andrew. It was the only intact roof for miles. And boy was his roofer popular after the storm. His giant oak tree missed his house and so did most everything else that was flying around. And his shingles were stuck on by a guy who really knew what he was doing.

Even a really minor hurricane cleanup is a PITA.

I have removed a trailer load of broken branches from my yard each day since Irma.

21686785_10212287613579515_7905586650827

A couple more days and I'll be able to mow again.

That's because the storm didn't flatten a hundred oaks like the one in the background and damage or destroy my houses, which is what I was expecting when I left.

Speaking of cleanup, a tornado-weakened branch finally let go and I have a job to clean it up. So....big surprise....my chainsaw is dead again even using the special ethanol free $8/quart gas :angry:

Are electric chain saws any good? I think I can keep a generator alive easier than the tiny chain saw engine with the tiny carb.

I remember a chainsaw discussion in which someone here who heats with wood had gone to an electric saw and was quite happy.

Can't remember who but it may have been a hijack over in Cruising Anarchy.

10 minutes ago, kent_island_sailor said:

Are electric chain saws any good? I think I can keep a generator alive easier than the tiny chain saw engine with the tiny carb.

Usually (very) power limited, also those on the mains network. For lighter work - yes, works fine. 

//J

34 minutes ago, kent_island_sailor said:

Speaking of cleanup, a tornado-weakened branch finally let go and I have a job to clean it up. So....big surprise....my chainsaw is dead again even using the special ethanol free $8/quart gas :angry:

Not really Kent - they are good for pruning duty, but, anything beyond that they will just frustrate you.  What kinda saw do you have?  If it's a "box store" brand - I wouldn't expect much from it.  I buy Stihl saws, and have had one since I was 14 - they aren't cheap, but, they work.  If ya want to meet me on this side of the Bay Bridge - I'd be happy to loan ya mine for a few weeks. 

24 minutes ago, Jaramaz said:

Usually (very) power limited, also those on the mains network. For lighter work - yes, works fine. 

//J

Just now, A guy in the Chesapeake said:

Not really Kent - they are good for pruning duty, but, anything beyond that they will just frustrate you.  What kinda saw do you have?  If it's a "box store" brand - I wouldn't expect much from it.  I buy Stihl saws, and have had one since I was 14 - they aren't cheap, but, they work.  If ya want to meet me on this side of the Bay Bridge - I'd be happy to loan ya mine for a few weeks. 

What he said. Marginal for 8" oak limbs. Pretty useless beyond that. I have an "everyday" 18" stihl, a 24" big ass tree came down stihl and an 18" Poulon that is painful but won't completely die. I use it when working on trees and branches that fall into the creek and I may have to cut with the bar in the water. Follow up with a fresh water rinse and generous lubrication. I use professional chains on the 2 Stihls and keep all chains sharp. Cut up 18 fully grown hardwoods after Irene with that setup and helped friends clean up as well.  

14 hours ago, nota said:

Only real loss was 1/2 bigger KOI in the pool do to debris and no air pumps running

my 18v power tools were a savior and I bought at HD a hand held Ryobi air inflation pump
that saved the remaining KOI and GF with it's 18v Li batterys

Your girlfriend is inflatable?

5 hours ago, A guy in the Chesapeake said:

THANKS!

I'll see what I can find on the island first :)

4 hours ago, bplipschitz said:

Your girlfriend is inflatable?

the wife of 46 years is shrinking a bit of late

the gf was expanding after limiting her smoking and was dropped

Speaking of Irma - has anyone heard from our Houston area denizens lately?  Haven't seen much outta D'Ranger - IIRC he was heading out to help some family/friends that had been impacted? 

This is a drone overflight of the boatyards on the French side of the lagoon in St marten. What is clear is the number of broken masts suffered by boats both on land and in the water. 

\There are some flipped cats and some sunken boats but quite a number of powerboats seemed to have survived with minimal damage.

1 hour ago, TQA said:

This is a drone overflight of the boatyards on the French side of the lagoon in St marten. What is clear is the number of broken masts suffered by boats both on land and in the water. 

\There are some flipped cats and some sunken boats but quite a number of powerboats seemed to have survived with minimal damage.

Yes I wonder why there are so many broken masts. Is it flying debris hitting the masts, the sheer strength of the wind alone or even some weird aeroelastic effects like the tacoma bridge on a smaller scale?

1 minute ago, Panoramix said:

Yes I wonder why there are so many broken masts. Is it flying debris hitting the masts, the sheer strength of the wind alone or even some weird aeroelastic effects like the tacoma bridge on a smaller scale?

I wonder if it was boats rolling and snagging rigs.  

5 minutes ago, Cal20sailor said:

Good point, that seems more likely.

27 minutes ago, Cal20sailor said:

It looks to me those rigs were pulled and stored....otherwise there would be tangled rigging and twisted spars attached to each boat

48 minutes ago, Panoramix said:

Packed together as they are, the masts would topple like dominoes when one lets go.  What an expensive mess!

37 minutes ago, Rasputin22 said:

XPFKNCO.png

What tri might this be on the French side (Marigot) of St Martin?

This one at 2:53?

trimaran.jpg.a1c07bb991169b4bff6ba4a25b1740a3.jpg

Looks similar to an Antrim 40: http://antrimdesign.com/zephyr---antrim-40-trimaran.html

7493611.jpg.6bd6f60b46349c2e5c768ae1034a28ef.jpg