• Announcements

• Zapata

Abbreviated rules   07/28/2017

Underdawg did an excellent job of explaining the rules.  Here's the simplified version: Don't insinuate Pedo.  Warning and or timeout for a first offense.  PermaFlick for any subsequent offenses Don't out members.  See above for penalties.  Caveat:  if you have ever used your own real name or personal information here on the forums since, like, ever - it doesn't count and you are fair game. If you see spam posts, report it to the mods.  We do not hang out in every thread 24/7 If you see any of the above, report it to the mods by hitting the Report button in the offending post.   We do not take action for foul language, off-subject content, or abusive behavior unless it escalates to persistent stalking.  There may be times that we might warn someone or flick someone for something particularly egregious.  There is no standard, we will know it when we see it.  If you continually report things that do not fall into rules #1 or 2 above, you may very well get a timeout yourself for annoying the Mods with repeated whining.  Use your best judgement. Warnings, timeouts, suspensions and flicks are arbitrary and capricious.  Deal with it.  Welcome to anarchy.   If you are a newbie, there are unwritten rules to adhere to.  They will be explained to you soon enough.  
barfy

AC 36 Protocol

149 posts in this topic

OK, it's clear to me now. Now I see where Indio is coming from.

7 hours ago, Indio said:

Black lives matter...:lol:

8 hours ago, Indio said:

Speaking of continuity, how are all those young black kids you paraded in AC35 doing in their "new-found" sailing addiction? 

On 7/26/2017 at 8:55 PM, Indio said:

I wonder how long the black kids will continue to sail now that the media attention has disappeared with the AC...

On 7/24/2017 at 11:11 PM, Indio said:

Proof is out there ducky! Only sycophants are in denial. Looking forward to your update on the black kids still sailing next year :lol:

On 7/4/2017 at 7:42 AM, Indio said:

It'll be nice to have a Black USA AC team - why don't you get your teeth into that??

On 6/29/2017 at 7:58 PM, Indio said:

Maybe you'll head a Black USA AC Team in AC36 then you can get on to the pressers :lol:

4 hours ago, MischiefBDA said:

OK, it's clear to me now. Now I see where Indio is coming from.

The guy is a racist mental case as far as I can tell, which is why I have him firmly on ignore.

If you wouldn't mind not quoting him in future, that would be nice.

14 hours ago, jaysper said:

Indeed Renny. A continual shit storm.

Funny.
What else can you ask for, it's continuous entertainment

17 hours ago, jaysper said:

The guy is a racist mental case as far as I can tell, which is why I have him firmly on ignore.

If you wouldn't mind not quoting him in future, that would be nice.

How's the Vietnamese mail-order bride Jason??:lol:

From this one (more speculation)

.. Awaiting official announcements for a few days, there are numerous rumors about the competition that comes: we talk about the nationality of team members, the choice of single-hulled foil and the possibility - all to be checked - to play the final stages not in New Zealand but in Europe, favorite destination by sponsors.

http://www.velaveneta.it/2017/09/17/americas-cup-addio-alla-louis-vuitton-cup-arriva-la-prada-cup/

From Stingrays English Translation:

ETNZ/RNZYS will be announcing the Protocol for the 36th America's Cup September 29th.

Ok...here are my guess estimates what I think will be in the new Protocol:

# 1 The Venue for the 36th AC will be Auckland...quite obvious :D

# 2 The Boat will be a monohull...quite obvious :D

# 3 Every Challenger will be allowed to built two boats.

# 4 There won't be any AC-related Racing (Events) until the 2nd Half of 2018 or the first half of 2019 (Acts). AC Boats will be used for that.

# 5 The Nationality Requirement will be around 70% or higher.

# 5 The Period (Time Frame) to challenge for the 36th AC will open early next year.

11 minutes ago, Alinghi4ever said:

Ok...here are my guess estimates what I think will be in the new Protocol:

# 4 There won't be any AC-related Racing (Events) until the 2nd Half of 2018 or the first half of 2019 (Acts). AC Boats will be used for that.

# 5 The Period (Time Frame) to challenge for the 36th AC will open early next year.

So it's definite that you're not leaving after all?

3 hours ago, ~Stingray~ said:

From this one (more speculation)

.. Awaiting official announcements for a few days, there are numerous rumors about the competition that comes: we talk about the nationality of team members, the choice of single-hulled foil and the possibility - all to be checked - to play the final stages not in New Zealand but in Europe, favorite destination by sponsors.

http://www.velaveneta.it/2017/09/17/americas-cup-addio-alla-louis-vuitton-cup-arriva-la-prada-cup/

If they mean that the A.C. match will be held in Europe then they are dreaming.

Only way that would happen is if Auckland acted like a bunch of cunts. Actually....

1 minute ago, Sailbydate said:

I'll leave if Ben or Ernesto doesn't challenge :D:DB):P

4 minutes ago, Sailbydate said:

It's like the old saying SBD: "Quitting smoking is easy. I've done it heaps of times!"

15 hours ago, ~Stingray~ said:

In Italian, speculation that LV is out, replaced by Prada.

Hmm :huh:

Challengers running their own Challenger series is good but not entirely sure as a potential Challenger I'd be happy to see the sponsor of CoR as title sponsor though.

Definitely better not be full title sponsor like LV had last time with Prada logos on wing/sails during the AC Match.

11 hours ago, Alinghi4ever said:

# 7 ETNZ won't get to build more boats than the other teams

# 8 ETNZ won't be anywhere near the Challenger series

# 9 No 'Bonus Points'

I think one bonus point will be on the table for the defender if the challenging skipper is a ginger. Would seem only fair. 8)

24 minutes ago, Nutta said:

I think one bonus point will be on the table for the defender if the challenging skipper is a ginger. Would seem only fair. 8)

Didn't help the last one at all. Why bother?

Purely for spite. 

1 hour ago, Nutta said:

Purely for spite. 

Is spite necessary/desirable after you've just handed out a total humiliation? 

Yeah. Maybe you're right. ;)

It's not necessary, nor an admirable quality to wish ill fortune upon the defeated/humiliated, however I'll just have to live with my weakness... 8P

3 hours ago, hoom said:

Hmm :huh:

Challengers running their own Challenger series is good but not entirely sure as a potential Challenger I'd be happy to see the sponsor of CoR as title sponsor though.

Definitely better not be full title sponsor like LV had last time with Prada logos on wing/sails during the AC Match.

Maybe Louis Vuitton will be the main AC36 Sponsor - now that would fire up Bertelli!!

Here's an idea...

Have the Defender seek sponsorship for the supposedly 'team-neutral' and very marketable AC, then take same for themselves and for a poodle team as well!?

All perfectly legit apparently.....

Have a feeling that these boats will be quite a bit  more conservative than many think. Probably something like the maxi 72's with some enhanced features to make it faster down wind. I think that they want to ensure that they can sail in a real breeze with swell

On 9/15/2017 at 3:40 PM, nav said:

PB said monos, monos it is, the rest is clearly still being worked out by those best fit, so Protocol in September, with some ACClass generalities - details to follow.....

Alles klar?

...... to follow in November

+ La Stampa confirming lots of wrong guesses....

The finals for the Cup will be in Auckland in 2021. Various countries will host pre-America’s Cup racing: when and with which yachts?  

«In 2019 and 2020, with the same yachts as the finals». 

But that way you lost the advantage acquired with the catamarans.  

«Let me start by saying that we believe our design team is capable of giving us another great yacht, and that catamarans wouldn’t be ideal for the chop in Auckland. But I want it to be clear that winning the America’s Cup is a privilege, a privilege that includes the duty to safeguard it’s sporting value. That comes before individual advantage». 

What kind of America’s Cup will it be?  

«Fair, with clear rules. And for the general public. Not alienating like Bermuda, there even the sailors didn’t understand what was going on». 

So that sounds like new RRS - or just use the same ones as every other sailor

*good scoop SR

1 hour ago, nav said:

Suggests (non) surrogate boats will not be part of the early events; and that some new boats will launch as early as 2019.

May even suggest 1 boat allowed per team, depending if on he meant 'yacht' as opposed to 'yacht class.'

It sounds more like they won't have the 8-10 Challengers the stuff.nz Articles are suggesting.

Auckland has changed quite a bit since when the last Cup were held there in 2003.

AUCK doesn't have the space to host 10 Teams like they had in 2003 (Alinghi, Oracle, Stars & Stripes, OneWorld, Le Defi, Luna Rossa, Mascalzone, GBR Challenge and Victory Challenge).

I suspect that Pre-AC Racing will narrow the field.

^ Things are looking up for the Auckland region then - Cryinginmybier4ever always has it backwards

54 minutes ago, nav said:

^ Things are looking up for the Auckland region then - Cryinginmybier4ever always has it backwards

No, it will be much like AC 34 where we had a heap of Teams early and one-by-one they withdrew leaving only 3 Challengers to contest the LVC.

4 minutes ago, Alinghi4ever said:

No, it will be much like AC 34 where we had a heap of Teams early and one-by-one they withdrew leaving only 3 Challengers to contest the LVC.

Disagree because most of the teams who raced AC45's in Plymouth, something like 12 of them, had no money and likely didn't even pay for their boats.

If teams show up with AC36 built-up boats, they are already serious.

3 minutes ago, ~Stingray~ said:

Disagree because most of the teams who raced AC45's in Plymouth, something like 12 of them, had no money and likely didn't even pay for their boats.

If teams show up with AC36 built-up boats, they are already serious.

Gotta pray you are right.

Stingers,

Luna Rossa IMO has been given too much leverage over AC 36 for my liking. What do you think?

20 minutes ago, Alinghi4ever said:

Stingers,

Luna Rossa IMO has been given too much leverage over AC 36 for my liking. What do you think?

I wanted to keep pressing the tech edge with foiling multi's, so I'm disappointed. But even if it was a big $ell-out by GD to P$B I am open-minded and actually guardedly optimistic about the new boat GV is designing and, as importantly, the coming Protocol.

I've also come around to thinking that even 4 good quality teams would be plenty fun to watch. News, promotion and current info on teams is so readily available nowadays that the 6 in Bermuda was almost overkill, for close-followers.

58 minutes ago, ~Stingray~ said:

I wanted to keep pressing the tech edge with foiling multi's, so I'm disappointed. But even if it was a big $ell-out by GD to P$B I am open-minded and actually guardedly optimistic about the new boat GV is designing and, as importantly, the coming Protocol.

I've also come around to thinking that even 4 good quality teams would be plenty fun to watch. News, promotion and current info on teams is so readily available nowadays that the 6 in Bermuda was almost overkill, for close-followers.

I trend to agree. While AC 32 for example was spectacular Areva, + 39, UITG and China Team were just making up Numbers. I'd rather have 5 or 6 Challengers who are really good providing close Racing than 8-10 Teams with the bottom 4 only making up Numbers.

3 minutes ago, Alinghi4ever said:

I trend to agree. While AC 32 for example was spectacular Areva, + 39, UITG and China Team were just making up Numbers. I'd rather have 5 or 6 Challengers who are really good providing close Racing than 8-10 Teams with the bottom 4 only making up Numbers.

Encouragingly, de Noro has expressed that same sentiment.

9 minutes ago, ~Stingray~ said:

Encouragingly, de Noro has expressed that same sentiment.

That might the reason they have Pre-AC Racing in 2019/2020 to eliminate the Top Teams from the Bottom Teams.

Next month I can watch finally some proper Racing again when the VOR starts :) If this years edition is as close as last time I've some sleepless Nights :D

2 hours ago, Alinghi4ever said:

How dare the CoR be strong!

We must have conformity & strongly Defender biased rules that are so warped even sailors have a hard time understanding how/where that 'bonus point' penalty happened :angry:

36 minutes ago, hoom said:

How dare the CoR be strong!

We must have conformity & strongly Defender biased rules that are so warped even sailors have a hard time understanding how/where that 'bonus point' penalty happened :angry:

The move back to monohulls was a sellout by a financial goldfish to a financial shark. P$B announced it, very explicitly.

It may work out but I think GD and Russell Greene should be a little nervous about what they are now facing. P$B was for example insistant that the Protocol will be provided on the promised time, September. And that guy is a hard-ass..

Oh noes! Can't have important documents released on time <_<

Must have huge delays & lots of late Defender favouring rule changes!

Just now, hoom said:

Oh noes! Can't have important documents released on time <_<

Must have huge delays & lots of late Defender favouring rule changes!

Yes, early is good, let's hope it happens on schedule.

Come on guys and gals GD wanted mono's so the fact that P$B wanted the same in return for $ and expertise is no great bend over on GD's part. What's the big deal? FFS get a grip.

I think GD wants to do the VOR and win it because he hasn't. So making AC36 boats close to the VOR's as possible would give him a good head start

21 minutes ago, kiwi777 said:

I think GD wants to do the VOR and win it because he hasn't. So making AC36 boats close to the VOR's as possible would give him a good head start

^ Oh yeah? Maybe you should tell him to give his trophy back, I'll hold you coat.....

Yacht Racing Forum posted this on Facebook:

Grant Dalton on the next America's Cup:

-Fair, with clear rules. And for the general public. Not alienating like Bermuda, there even the sailors didn’t understand what was going on.

-Large and powerful monohulls, a development class.

-Grinders are coming back.

-The Deed of Gift requires that mutual consent be the basis for working with the challenger’s representatives. Only that, dazed by years of the defender’s regime, and with marionettes as Challengers of Record, we had lost sight of this.

On 9/18/2017 at 6:36 PM, nav said:

...... to follow in November

+ La Stampa confirming lots of wrong guesses....

The finals for the Cup will be in Auckland in 2021. Various countries will host pre-America’s Cup racing: when and with which yachts?  

But that way you lost the advantage acquired with the catamarans.  

«Let me start by saying that we believe our design team is capable of giving us another great yacht, and that catamarans wouldn’t be ideal for the chop in Auckland. But I want it to be clear that winning the America’s Cup is a privilege, a privilege that includes the duty to safeguard it’s sporting value. That comes before individual advantage». 

What kind of America’s Cup will it be?  

«Fair, with clear rules. And for the general public. Not alienating like Bermuda, there even the sailors didn’t understand what was going on». 

So that sounds like new RRS - or just use the same ones as every other sailor

*good scoop SR

^ SR posted a link direct to the original LA Stampa interview Rennie

3 minutes ago, nav said:

^ SR posted a link direct to the original LA Stampa interview Rennie

Thanks, I've hidden my double post (the delete function is gone since the "upgrade")

The English translation at La Stampa was online before the Italian version and since the English has marionettes instead of puppets then the Italian may be closer to accurate. At FV somewhere, Michelle T wrote in his translation that GD's response about early-event races specified using the same Yacht Class whereas the widely-quoted La Stampa English one did not.

Even though we will hear by the 28th, 29th NZ time, I am mildly curious if the original in Italian implied 'Class' because the distinction could imply a lot about how boat development is supposed to happen if only one, versus more, boats can be built.

18 hours ago, Rennmaus said:

Yacht Racing Forum posted this on Facebook:

Grant Dalton on the next America's Cup:

-Fair, with clear rules. And for the general public. Not alienating like Bermuda, there even the sailors didn’t understand what was going on.

-Large and powerful monohulls, a development class.

-Grinders are coming back.

-The Deed of Gift requires that mutual consent be the basis for working with the challenger’s representatives. Only that, dazed by years of the defender’s regime, and with marionettes as Challengers of Record, we had lost sight of this.

I love each and every one of these words...

Words are cheap. RC had plenty of them.