• Announcements

• Zapata

Abbreviated rules   07/28/2017

Underdawg did an excellent job of explaining the rules.  Here's the simplified version: Don't insinuate Pedo.  Warning and or timeout for a first offense.  PermaFlick for any subsequent offenses Don't out members.  See above for penalties.  Caveat:  if you have ever used your own real name or personal information here on the forums since, like, ever - it doesn't count and you are fair game. If you see spam posts, report it to the mods.  We do not hang out in every thread 24/7 If you see any of the above, report it to the mods by hitting the Report button in the offending post.   We do not take action for foul language, off-subject content, or abusive behavior unless it escalates to persistent stalking.  There may be times that we might warn someone or flick someone for something particularly egregious.  There is no standard, we will know it when we see it.  If you continually report things that do not fall into rules #1 or 2 above, you may very well get a timeout yourself for annoying the Mods with repeated whining.  Use your best judgement. Warnings, timeouts, suspensions and flicks are arbitrary and capricious.  Deal with it.  Welcome to anarchy.   If you are a newbie, there are unwritten rules to adhere to.  They will be explained to you soon enough.  

6 minutes ago, surfsailor said:

^ No, it makes total sense. ETNZ improved 10-15% racing in anger in the challenger series, the defender definitely needs an avenue to mitigate that. It's completely fair.

And it means a few more Kiwi sailors joining ETNZ for the 2-boat testing. Can't be all bad...

Just now, 2Newts said:

Interestingly, a naturalized citizen does not have to be in the yacht club's country at all. Does JS have an american passport?

Pretty sure he does... its just a team he's needing now ;-)

1 minute ago, rh2600 said:

Pretty sure he does... its just a team he's needing now ;-)

I reckon he'll go with Alinghi...

3 minutes ago, Indio said:

I reckon he'll go with Alinghi...

Alinghi is one team that, even if they were interested, is well and truly f**ked by the residency requirements. 

Just now, 2Newts said:

Alinghi is one team that, even if they were interested, is well and truly f**ked by the residency requirements. 

I dunno, I reckon a 75 foot lake racer would be a pretty darn epic machine!

15 minutes ago, ~Stingray~ said:

I wonder how much P$B would need to front, to simply beat Auckland's financial offer and get the Cup to Cagliari? It may take much and with the return value considerable for Prada.

Pinots kicked in early...batshit crazy theories and inability to construct a sentence...

time for bed spinbot...

Just now, Alinghi4ever said:

JS is married to an American Woman. Of Course he has an American Passport. If you're right ETNZ might have reopened the door for OTUSA, LE & JS.

Many foreign nationals married to Americans do not in fact carry US passports. My wife took 7 years to get one ... she was perfectly happy with her green card. She only got one because there is NO tax benefit to the green card and a certain presidential candidate was making noises about making immigration more difficult. 

3 minutes ago, Alinghi4ever said:

JS is married to an American Woman. Of Course he has an American Passport. If you're right ETNZ might have reopened the door for OTUSA, LE & JS.

Contrary to movies, you don't get a US passport or citizenship merely by virtue of marraige to a USC. Has to be sponsored and petitioned to become PR and after time citizenship applied for. Don't know if JS has done so. 

1 minute ago, Boybland said:

I dunno, I reckon a 75 foot lake racer would be a pretty darn epic machine!

+1

1 hour ago, Alinghi4ever said:

Wrong. He has to have Permanent Residence starting from 1st Sept. 2018 to 1st Sept. 2020 in the Country he wants to sail for.

Stop talking about shit you don't understand.  Permanent Reisdency has a very definite, legal meaning here in the United States.  The protocol does not stipulate the visa class in which a sailor must qualify (because that would be impossible), but it says that they must be resident (i.e. physically present) in the country they intend to sail for 380 days over a 2 year period,

22 minutes ago, ~Stingray~ said:

I wonder how much P$B would need to front, to simply beat Auckland's financial offer and get the Cup to Cagliari? It may take much and with the return value considerable for Prada.

Nowt to do with financial offers when it comes to venues.

Squadron and ETNZ just need to be satisfied that national and local authorities have a viable plan for hosting infrastructure.

Hey guess what ETNZ won so they make the rules, and it is a heck of a lot fairer than BMWORACLE's was.  

34 minutes ago, Tornado-Cat said:

Whatever past results, the challengers can't compare their own boats or with other teams, while the defender can do it. Huge advantage and very unfair.

Whats unfair? This is the Americas Cup. No change here.

Dalts talks about how bad uncertainty is, from personal experience and says that this announcement reduces it. I don't buy the koolaid. Look at the venue announcement or what is really venue uncertainty. To be clear, the venue will not be announced until 30th August 2018. Telling the teams it will be one of 2 venues doesn't help very much, particularly as they are not only in 2 different countries but 2 different hemispheres. In the past, Dalton claimed that without knowing the venue you could not tie down sponsorship because location is vital to the sponsors decision making process. What do you say to sponsors? It might be Italy or it might be NZ? Location also effects overall budget. So the announcement is a very small improvement on what has gone before, but not much

29 minutes ago, A Class Sailor said:

What happens to those dates if it ends up in Italy?

No idea but I have been following the political/budgetary fights in Auckland surrounding the Port, and consider it a 50/50 proposition at this point given the $Prada Power and the announced $Prada Cup - P$B's presence today too.

12 minutes ago, KiwiJoker said:

Nowt to do with financial offers when it comes to venues.

Squadron and ETNZ just need to be satisfied that national and local authorities have a viable plan for hosting infrastructure.

Forgive me for suggesting that by his nature GD will follow the money..

3 minutes ago, Alinghi4ever said:

So you think he doesn't have one? 100% he has two Passports.

Jesus christ you are amazing at being fucking wrong even when it seems impossible to achieve that...

Firstly.. He does have one, but Miffy is trying to explain (why bother) that you don't just get one from marrying an American

Secondly, when you become a US citizen you actually have to renounce your other citizenship, so he doesn't have both... at least not as far the the US is concerned...

But good effort on continuing to demonstrate cluelessness in every walk of life you wander down...

51 minutes ago, Tornado-Cat said:

Most probably no foiling start, we come back to the old mono upwind start.

"Old mono upwind start"???

What is specifically "mono" about an upwind start? 

9 minutes ago, Team_GBR said:

To be clear, the venue will not be announced until 30th August 2018.

Remove your head from your Anal cavity before trying to read 

Dalts said the CUT OFF to decide is 30 August 2018. Assuming Auckland gets its shit together it will be confirmed before that.

5 minutes ago, rh2600 said:

Secondly, when you become a US citizen you actually have to renounce your other citizenship, so he doesn't have both... at least not as far the the US is concerned...

That's not true, you just have to pledge allegiance to the US ahead of all other countries.  The US doesn't specifically condone dual citizenship, but nor do we prohibit it, so citizens are free to have two or more passports provided the other country doesn't restrict it.

15 minutes ago, Alinghi4ever said:

nice to see you're back dribbling crap schultzie and yes quite naturally he'd be eligible for and carry 2 passports, quite common this neck of the woods, I have both Kiwi as well as European ones, on another note though..... didn't you think Grant Dalton  did a really good job of presentation?

Thank You :)

I wasn't agreeing with you, just clarifying a statement of fact.  Unless you've seen Spithill's passport you don't know for certain that he has one.  What is certain is that he has US permanent residency (of the legal kind) which requires him to spend 6 months + 1 day in the US every year in order to maintain it unless he gets a waiver so he would qualify under the new protocol anyway passport or no passport.

17 minutes ago, Alinghi4ever said:

I thought I should get my facts correct and I have now been told that JS does not have a US passport at the moment. That doesn't mean he isn't going through the process of getting one ;)

11 minutes ago, rh2600 said:

Jesus christ you are amazing at being fucking wrong even when it seems impossible to achieve that...

Firstly.. He does have one, but Miffy is trying to explain (why bother) that you don't just get one from marrying an American

But good effort on continuing to demonstrate cluelessness in every walk of life you wander down...

Wrong on 2 counts. He doesn't have a US passport at the moment and when he gets one, he will retain his Australian one. The USA does not make you give up citizenship of another country

One small point about the nationality rules. It is possible to live in a country for a long period of time without gaining or even being eligible for citizenship, yet that time isn't taken into account in the protocol. That seems rather unfair, although it would only apply to a small number of people.

Well, if he has a Permanent US Residency then he also has a US Passport IMO.

Jesus. Fucking. Christ.  No he does not.  It is not legally possible to have both a Green Card and a passport.  When you naturalize your Green Card is automatically voided as your passport becomes your primary document as far as USCIS is concerned.  Please stop talking about stuff you clearly do not understand.

2 minutes ago, Alinghi4ever said:

Well, if he has a Permanent US Residency then he also has a US Passport IMO.

Are you stupid? That makes zero sense. Nobody has Permanent Residency and a passport :wacko:

6 minutes ago, Team_GBR said:

One small point about the nationality rules. It is possible to live in a country for a long period of time without gaining or even being eligible for citizenship, yet that time isn't taken into account in the protocol. That seems rather unfair, although it would only apply to a small number of people.

I think you have to take a step back and look at the purpose of the rule. Nexus between individual sailing working for a national team. If I were a UK national but lived in Italy and worked for the Italian squad, it is all good. If I were a UK national who lived in Switzerland for tax purposes but my employer is Softbank, tough shit. 

Personally I think the nationality focus is a bit antiquated and 18-19 century? But a lot of ppl disagree with me. 

16 minutes ago, Alinghi4ever said:

Yeh, we'll see. Spithill will be in AC 36 as much as you don't like him. He either will be with a new American Challenger or teaming up with Slingsby possibly Lankford and NO in an Australian Challenger.

Again mate, my post had nothing to do with whether JS will be in the next AC, it was merely trying to explain how passports work...

jog on...

13 minutes ago, A Class Sailor said:

I thought I should get my facts correct and I have now been told that JS does not have a US passport at the moment. That doesn't mean he isn't going through the process of getting one ;)

Wrong on 2 counts. He doesn't have a US passport at the moment and when he gets one, he will retain his Australian one. The USA does not make you give up citizenship of another country

Cheers for the info! :-)

1 minute ago, Alinghi4ever said:

The Bottom Line is this: Under the new Protocol Rules he can choose either Country (US or Australia) if he wants to so it basically comes "Who has the Money" for him. As soon as LE officially confirms he's OUT he'll be heading to Australia I suspect. I'm 100% sure that we will see Spithill in AC 36 either as a Helmsman or as a potential CEO of a Team.

Would anyone want him as CEO? 

In both AC 34 and AC 35 his boat was clearly slower at the beginning.  Yes they improved during the match but shouldn't they have been at 95% potential rather than 75%.  

20 minutes ago, Alinghi4ever said:

Yeh, we'll see. Spithill will be in AC 36 as much as you don't like him. He either will be with a new American Challenger or teaming up with Slingsby possibly Lankford and NO in an Australian Challenger.

2 minutes ago, Alinghi4ever said:

The Bottom Line is this: Under the new Protocol Rules he can choose either Country (US or Australia) if he wants to so it basically comes "Who has the Money" for him. As soon as LE officially confirms he's OUT he'll be heading to Australia I suspect. I'm 100% sure that we will see Spithill in AC 36 either as a Helmsman or as a potential CEO of a Team.

P.S.

And you Jimmy Spithill Haters can eat yourself.

You really are the most clueless poster on this forum!

I can assure you with 100% certainty that JS will not team up with Slingsby under any circumstances. i can also assure you that Nathan and Goobs will not be in the Australian team Slingers is attempting to put together. The only thing you might have right is that the chances are he will end up running a team, but he won't be on the core race team. All indications are he is lining up to be CEO of a US entry for which he won't need any nationality requirement.

13 minutes ago, Team_GBR said:

would it not also be possible to have never lived in the country you have a passport for and still be eligible ?.....I have kiwi and European/pommy

14 minutes ago, Team_GBR said:

Population GBR = ~65m. Population NZL = ~4m

Seems like you should have a larger pool of talent to draw from; sailors, designs, sponors. That seems rather unfair.  

9 minutes ago, 167149 said:

would it not also be possible to have never lived in the country you have a passport for and still be eligible ?.....I have kiwi and European/pommy

It's an either-or issue. If you are national (passport holder), you're fine - if you're not, then you need to qualify under the 380-days-over-2-years Residency criterior.

9 minutes ago, 3to1 said:

nice to ditch the wtf water skeeters and go monohull. 75 ft. is a good call.

Very happy to be back to real AC boats. Let's face it, the only reason we had multis was because of Bertarelli's fuck-up in AC33 with his fake CoR, handing Ellison an open invitation to the DoG match which Ellison gleefully grabbed - otherwise he would never have got near actually racing for the AC. Because of their win in AC33 in their multi, they leveraged that experience and stayed with multis for AC34* and 35.

Ellison won't challenge in AC36 because he doesn't want to be humiliated again.

39 minutes ago, Alinghi4ever said:

He also talked about being a proud Australian so why wouldn't he accept CEO Role of Slingsbys Team.

Yes, Australia was my understanding too. He was also complaining that TNZ was taking months of advance by not telling the boat, which would not allow to chose the right architect.

1 hour ago, The Jay said:

"Old mono upwind start"???

What is specifically "mono" about an upwind start? 

I did not say it was specific, I said we would have a classical upwind start AND a mono.

I hope this mono will be interesting, but afraid of the contrary.

3 hours ago, jaysper said:

Because it removes a lot of the uncertainty of who has the fastest boat.

One response: Sandbags.

We've seen how effective those can be...

51 minutes ago, theParadoxOfThrift said:

I'm still not ready to laugh about that.

Team Tilt but not nes the Swiss team in the offing, along with another Italian Team beginning with A.

Go back to GA's comment during  the AC45 series to understand better his feelings re sailing for ETNZ.

21 minutes ago, Nutta said:

One response: Sandbags.

We've seen how effective those can be...

Part of determining who has the fastest boat is seeing what innovations the other guys have and throwing it into a simulation.

Imagine if the other teams had copped an eyeful of our AC50 2 years out? Can you say SanFran?

Don't know why the fuck ETNZ did it.

Sound conservative protocol with good boundaries hopefully to be twinned with a nice open class within a box rule with some one design elements - permitting non full and partial foiling designs.  One team might favour match racing another foiling...  In the Veitch interview Dalton spoke of up to 5 metre draft did he not - the first glimpse of the box diameters?

12 minutes ago, jaysper said:

Part of determining who has the fastest boat is seeing what innovations the other guys have and throwing it into a simulation.

Imagine if the other teams had copped an eyeful of our AC50 2 years out? Can you say SanFran?

Don't know why the fuck ETNZ did it.

Devil will be in the boat design detail and limitations. But ETNZ won't be racing in the pre AC stuff will they, or did I misread that?

So, 20% nationality?  Really?  Whoopdefuckingdoo...

And that 380 days in the country bull shit.  Does that mean the team members have to stay in country 380 days?  Can't leave for any reason?  Didn't think so.  So again, whoopdefuckingdoo...  20 fucking percent.  

Also, how about that venue uncertainty?  Interesting.  I remember some Kiwi's scoffing at the notion that ETNZ would defend in Dubai.  Well how about Italy?  :lol:

One more thing about the venue uncertainty, wasn't there a big tadoo during the Alinghi/BMWO court crap about only being able to defend in the northern hemisphere between certain dates and defend in the southern hemisphere between certain dates?  I guess mutual consent makes that moot.  Still the fact that there is a real possibility that the Kiwi's won't defend in Kiwiland is fucking hilarious, even though it won't happen.........probably.  :lol:

Anyway, besides the defender not participating in the challenger selection whatever, color me un-impressed with ETNZ's attempt to bring sanity back to the AC.  Still early days though.

Really interested to hear what potential Challengers think of this stroke of AC genius.  

WetHog  :ph34r:

4 minutes ago, Nutta said:

Devil will be in the boat design detail and limitations. But ETNZ won't be racing in the pre AC stuff will they, or did I misread that?

I believe they are, which is a little disappointing from my PoV.

I would have preferred that they put together a OD package based on the class rules that EVERY team has to purchase and race in the preliminary shit.

That way, poorer teams can get a boat as cheaply as possible and have an opportunity to modify it within the class rules for cup time AND no trade secrets would be exposed until the real deal.

3 hours ago, ~Stingray~ said:

At https://www.odt.co.nz/sport/sailing/americas-cup-could-be-held-italy

Key dates:
30th November 2017: AC75 Class concepts released to key stakeholders
1st January 2018: Entries for Challengers Open
31st March 2018: AC75 Class Rule published
30th June 2018: Entries for Challengers Close 
31st August 2018: Location of the America's Cup Match & The PRADA Cup confirmed
31st August 2018: Specific race course area confirmed
31st December 2018: Late entries Deadline
31st March 2019: Boat 1 can be launched
2nd half of 2019: 2 x America's Cup World Series Preliminary Events
1st February 2020: Boat 2 can be launched
2020: 3 x America's Cup World Series Preliminary Events
10th-20th December 2020: America's Cup Christmas Race
January & February 2021: The PRADA Cup Challenger Selection Series
March 2021: The America's Cup Match

WTF is a "key stakeholder" and Challenge entry is closed two months before the venue is announced.  How Oracle-esque of ETNZ/Prada.  Then we have restrictions on when boats can be launched, the ACWS lives and a AC race on Christmas that will compete with the StoH race.  How nice. 

Its going to be fun reading Indio and his minions defend ETNZ's Oracle-esque protocol until the "key stakeholders" get their AC75 Class concept dossier.  That is if us fans will see these AC75 Class concepts.  The "key stakeholders" will probably get slapped with an NDA and us fans will be in the dark until March 31, 2018.

Whatever.  I am just pissed at the joke nationality rule and that I have to wait until fucking March 31, 2019 to see a new AC boat.  :angry:

35 minutes ago, WetHog said:

WTF is a "key stakeholder" :ph34r:

Good question! Not sure how they plan on keeping this under wraps in this day and age... fly them to a location and permit them to take verbal only notes?

56 minutes ago, WetHog said:

Still the fact that there is a real possibility that the Kiwi's won't defend in Kiwiland is fucking hilarious, even though it won't happen.........probably.  :lol:

Pending a natural disaster - which agreed really is some hilarious shit - all those dead bodies lying around - comedy for days! 

ahem,

but still, no less funny than OTUSA monorailing Bermuda

8 minutes ago, rh2600 said:

Good question! Not sure how they plan on keeping this under wraps in this day and age... fly them to a location and permit them to take verbal only notes?

Key stakeholder is not defined in the protocol, but as it is before the date of challenger entries we can guess it is the definition for prospective challengers.

4 hours ago, rh2600 said:

This is entirely false. You just demonstrated your own wandering without a clue.

I have citizenship in Amurika and NZ and a passport for both. And its legal.

Ok so what counts as a successful ac event, like is it the number of challenges, because according to stingers and co ac35 was a success.  So if ac36 attracts more than 5 teams then ac 36 will be better than ac 35.  I am looking forward to mono's again and a longer course forget the fb generation they were never into ac anyways.

Just now, Nutta said:

They'll be racing in the ACWS events but won't take points if they win or place to earn points. They won't be racing in the actual Challenger Selection Series, which is why they've allowed themselves to two-boat test - but only during the CSS series.

7 hours ago, Team_GBR said:

The nationality rule is a joke that gives ETNZ a huge advantage. Think about it. If you have 100% citizens from 1 country, you can set up a base in Auckland or wherever the event is going to take place from day 1 and base the team at the venue. If your sailors need to gain residency, you cannot.

ETNZ will race their race boat against the challengers. they have been clear on that. Sure, they won't sail against them in the challenger series, but having first gauged the performance of the opposition, they then have the time of the challenger series to modify and test their boat.

I hate one design elements in a boat but they will keep that. 2 boats adds to the costs but i guess with a new class it is unavoidable. I bet we see cyclors as well.

I find it very uncomfortable that Prada is the title sponsor. How much due diligence has been done to be sure they are the best option? I think as trustees RNZYS have a duty to do that.

I also couldn't help note that they kept refering to ETNZ as the defender and LR as the Challenger of Record. Considering how much BS there was about preserving the inegrity of teh Cup, you would have hopes they could get that right. It is the clubs, not the teams!

So in Bermuda you had 3 teams who had based them selves there and were based there for about 2 years before the cup began, then you had another (the Brits) who based themselves in Bermuda for a lengthy period also, and it had no bearing what so ever on the cup. ETNZ were the last team to set up in Bermuda and dominated the Bermuda based teams.

The ability to build two boats IMO will negate any perceived advantage ETNZ may have, as it is doubtful any team will race their Cup boats in pre AC racing. What we will see, I'm guessing, is boat 1.

Its always been the representative teams who are defender/ Challenger. Emirates Team NZ will represent the RNZYS, but are the official defender. Luna Rossa representing Circollo Dela Vella Cicillia are the official CoR. 

6 hours ago, rh2600 said:

Precisely! This is the point - use real existing local talent and there is zero problem, or try and import talent and be ready to jump through hoops to make it work in time.

Seems like a pretty ingenious way of stopping teams getting around typical nationality rules by handing out visa/passports as a mere formality.

I don't understand how the rule will prevent citizenship - (passports) being handed out as a mere formality.

6 hours ago, Tornado-Cat said:

Whatever past results, the challengers can't compare their own boats or with other teams, while the defender can do it. Huge advantage and very unfair.

It makes up for the race hardening the challengers receive during the challenger series.

7 hours ago, rgeek said:

LR is the Challenger of Record, unless they have to shift the event to Italy I guess. So much for integrity.

CVS, Shirley?

7 hours ago, Team_GBR said:

The nationality rule is a joke that gives ETNZ a huge advantage.

haven't you got any people up there ? or have you heroically succumbed already?  wouldn't blame you though as 65.5 million people as a talent base really haven't a prayer against 4.6 million kiwi's

5 hours ago, ezyb said:

That's not true, you just have to pledge allegiance to the US ahead of all other countries.  The US doesn't specifically condone dual citizenship, but nor do we prohibit it, so citizens are free to have two or more passports provided the other country doesn't restrict it.

Dual citizenship had previously been banned in the United States, but in 1967 the US Supreme Court struck down most laws forbidding dual citizenship.

However, the US government remained disdainful of dual citizenship for some time. To this day, candidates for US citizenship through naturalization are forced to (at least hypothetically) renounce their previous citizenship at the United States naturalization ceremony.

The renouncing of one’s previous citizenship is part of the oath that new US citizens must take, and failing to honor that oath could result in the loss of citizenship in the United States.

Some cases that have been brought before the Department of State in the past involve people who became naturalized US citizens but maintained a residency and life in their country of previous citizenship.

While most countries recognize the Oath of Allegiance in the United States to be a binding contract regarding one’s citizenship, other countries have stated that the oath has no effect on their own citizenship laws. The US government used to aggressively pursue these cases to get the dual citizens to renounce their citizenship, but this is no longer the case.

Additionally, young children who naturalize in the United States along with their parents didn’t take the Oath of Allegiance — even though their parents did — and can technically still hold on to their previous citizenship.

People who have held dual citizenship since birth or childhood — or who became citizens of another country after becoming a US citizen and were not asked to renounce their previous citizenship — can remain dual citizens in the United States.

https://www.legallanguage.com/legal-articles/dual-citizenship-united-states/

7 hours ago, Miffy said:

I'd understand your displeasure if catamarans were possible under the class rules. But since they're not... I hardly see upwind as being bad?

its a massive area of compromise in the design of these boats. to what extent do you compromise round the course performance to make them prestartable?

Funny that LV is replaced by Prada as they are roughly in the same space. After the "throw the LV stuff away like plastic bags" show in Bermuda, that was to be expected.

Could be interresting if Bernard Arnaut, the big boss of LVMH, was looking at this as a personnal challenge. He's got the funds and knows how to get something when really he wants it!

EDIT: Well, thinking about it, he might end up buying Prada to solve the problem.

2 minutes ago, barfy said:

not to be acunt, but didnt i start this thread a month ago?

You're not being a cunt. I see now that you did indeed start this thread already. Let's transfer the discussions to your original thread.

8 hours ago, 2Newts said:

That's not how I read it:

"The sailor must be physically present in the country of the yacht club for a minimum of 380 days in the 2-year period between the 1st September 2018 and 31st August 2020."

So an athlete visa in the USA would work just fine. No need for a green card or permanent residency. A citizen of one EU nation could easily have an apartment in another EU country and be there the minimum number of days. There are lots of ways to achieve this. 

Interestingly, a naturalized citizen does not have to be in the yacht club's country at all. Does JS have an american passport?

Yes he does and an American wife and kids . 

No tank testing ?

limit the scale to 1:6 - not expensive !  To be limimted to only CFD would be in the negative.  The limit on hull configuration of one hull only to 25% modification maximum, may (more than likely) lead to catastrophic results - no mention of how appendages are to considered (or not) in modification evaluation within the proposed measurement rule.

2 minutes ago, Red Forza said:

No tank testing ?

limit the scale to 1:6 - not expensive !  To be limimted to only CFD would be in the negative.  The limit on hull configuration of one hull only to 25% modification maximum, may (more than likely) lead to catastrophic results - no mention of how appendages are to considered (or not) in modification evaluation.

Wait for the AC75 Class Rule...

75 feet eh? Is BAR's snazzy garage big enough...

7 hours ago, rh2600 said:

Pending a natural disaster - which agreed really is some hilarious shit - all those dead bodies lying around - comedy for days! 

ahem,

but still, no less funny than OTUSA monorailing Bermuda

Unless your 400+ posts are spread over the last 10 years in ACA then you don't completely get my post.  I can explain things though if need be. 

WetHog  :ph34r:

10 hours ago, A Class Sailor said:

Only if you need a security clearance

Sponsor signage limited by a "brand manual" that won't be published till March 2019.  Good luck approaching commercial sponsor with that limitation.

12 hours ago, Team_GBR said:

The nationality rule is a joke that gives ETNZ a huge advantage. Think about it. If you have 100% citizens from 1 country, you can set up a base in Auckland or wherever the event is going to take place from day 1 and base the team at the venue. If your sailors need to gain residency, you cannot.

ETNZ will race their race boat against the challengers. they have been clear on that. Sure, they won't sail against them in the challenger series, but having first gauged the performance of the opposition, they then have the time of the challenger series to modify and test their boat.

I hate one design elements in a boat but they will keep that. 2 boats adds to the costs but i guess with a new class it is unavoidable. I bet we see cyclors as well.

I find it very uncomfortable that Prada is the title sponsor. How much due diligence has been done to be sure they are the best option? I think as trustees RNZYS have a duty to do that.

I also couldn't help note that they kept refering to ETNZ as the defender and LR as the Challenger of Record. Considering how much BS there was about preserving the inegrity of teh Cup, you would have hopes they could get that right. It is the clubs, not the teams!

Not entirely true. Gives a big impuls toward techniology development in own country. But you are right if you say they are leading.
This company in my home country is wiling to do consultancy at a fair level of competition.
For this price that every country gets the consultancy how to build a factory for the moulds and the composites.
http://www.hollandcomposites.nl/
59ce252031c51_dnacomposites.jpg.58302eea3371a76dd702a3bdc608de21.jpg

What I found appaling is that no windtunnel and towing tank test are allowed.
Formula 1 uses this, motor races uses this, Top cyclist use windtunnels.
It's expensive, yes, but gives very good results.

5 minutes ago, schakel488 said:

What I found appaling is that no windtunnel and towing tank test are allowed.
Formula 1 uses this, motor races uses this, T

Yeah, but you must have missed the bit about Cost Containment.

12 minutes ago, random said:

Yeah, but you must have missed the bit about Cost Containment.

If a cyclist from the tour the France can afford it, why not a AC team?
Cost aren't that big. Pennywise, poundfoolish.
Especially the towing tank and the windtunnel gives the biggest advantage price-wise.
But that's my humble opinion.

1 hour ago, Raptorsailor said:

75 feet eh? Is BAR's snazzy garage big enough...

It's fucking huge.

13 minutes ago, schakel488 said:

If a cyclist from the tour the France can afford it, why not a AC team?
Cost aren't that big. Pennywise, poundfoolish.
Especially the towing tank and the windtunnel gives the biggest advantage price-wise.
But that's my humble opinion.

Are they really needed now?  Or do we just have some people pissed that they are not going to get the business?

1 hour ago, WetHog said:

Unless your 400+ posts are spread over the last 10 years in ACA then you don't completely get my post.  I can explain things though if need be. 

WetHog  

I missed the natural disaster bit in the protocol, so my comment above was not an informed one.

That 20% bull shit still has my blood up, clouding my judgement.  ;)

50 minutes ago, dogwatch said:

It's fucking huge.

Still a lot of information yet to be divuldged, but as we stand now do you see BAR joining AC36?  I would think a 75ft mono is right up BA's alley, but I am interested in your opinion.  Save for a legit American challenge, BAR would be my #2 for AC36.  I hope they show up.