barfy

AC 36 Protocol

9 hours ago, Tornado-Cat said:

So you put TJ and AR at the same level at AC 35 ? that is not what said a few post ago.

And you put TNZ at the same level as LR in AC 34 ? both losers.

Stop having two standards depending of the context.

Yes, ETNZ and LR had the same result in AC34, they both lost. AR and TJ both lost, so yes, same result. Thats all that matters.

19 hours ago, sclarke said:

OR is a cheat and ETNZ are winners. Cemented in AC history forever. 

OR are cheats, but they are also winners.  Same with ETNZ.  They are winners, no doubt, but they also gave us, arguably, the biggest choke in sports history.  

So which is worse, being a cheat or a choker?  ;)

WetHog  :ph34r:

13 hours ago, MR PLOW 270 said:

excluding the lead pellets in the AC45's which proved to have similar performance gain as a crew member sitting forward 10cm,

when did they cheat?

Well the lead pellet fiasco made them cheats.  Whether the lead pellets proved worth it or not OR still got a -2 penalty for the Cup match because of it.  No erasing that blight from OR's legacy.

26 minutes ago, WetHog said:

OR are cheats, but they are also winners.  Same with ETNZ.  They are winners, no doubt, but they also gave us, arguably, the biggest choke in sports history.  

Do you really need to ask that? You can redeem yourself from being a choker. But you can not redeem yourself from being a cheat.

3 hours ago, sclarke said:

Do you really need to ask that? You can redeem yourself from being a choker. But you can not redeem yourself from being a cheat.

Sure you can.  One example being when the cheating offense is arguably dubious, the penalty for cheating a bit to harsh and the convicted cheater over comes the harsh penalty for the dubious offense by winning a major championship while overcoming not only the harsh penalty for the dubious offense but an 8-1 deficit with its challenger on championship point.  ;)

• Like 1

11 minutes ago, WetHog said:

Sure you can.  One example being when the cheating offense is arguably dubious, the penalty for cheating a bit to harsh and the convicted cheater over comes the harsh penalty for the dubious offense by winning a major championship while overcoming not only the harsh penalty for the dubious offense but an 8-1 deficit with its challenger on championship point.  ;)

Ah...the old cheating offense is arguably dubious defense haha, wouldn't be the first time a cheat would try that defense! But wait, there's more! the penalty for cheating was also a bit to harsh lol. I guess those in the Sydney Hobart thread would know all about that by now. And its funny how its just the one 8-1 deficit you people like to go on about, while conveniently leaving out the most recent 8-1 scoreline. Yes, they may have executed a dubious (I guess we can both use that word now) comeback from an 8-1 deficit, but they also lost by a not so dubious 8-1 demolition. 

• Like 2

17 hours ago, MR PLOW 270 said:

thought not mate hahaha:D

Not my fault if you're too lazy to use the search function maaaate:blink:

1 hour ago, sclarke said:

Ah...the old cheating offense is arguably dubious defense haha, wouldn't be the first time a cheat would try that defense! But wait, there's more! the penalty for cheating was also a bit to harsh lol. I guess those in the Sydney Hobart thread would know all about that by now. And its funny how its just the one 8-1 deficit you people like to go on about, while conveniently leaving out the most recent 8-1 scoreline. Yes, they may have executed a dubious (I guess we can both use that word now) comeback from an 8-1 deficit, but they also lost by a not so dubious 8-1 demolition. 

It's the Trumpanzee monkey-see/monkey-do defence.

1 hour ago, WetHog said:

One example being when the cheating offense is arguably dubious, the penalty for cheating a bit to harsh

There is no non-cheating excuse for what Orifice did.

The delicious irony of the whole thing is that Orifice broke with the historic practice by having ACWS, CSS & AC all under the same Jury -> the Jury were obliged to treat cheating in ACWS with exactly the same seriousness as if it was in the AC match itself.

7 hours ago, WetHog said:

The Falcons arguably relieved them of that tag last February.  28-3 will forever be difficult to top

1 hour ago, hoom said:

There is no non-cheating excuse for what Orifice did.

The delicious irony of the whole thing is that Orifice broke with the historic practice by having ACWS, CSS & AC all under the same Jury -> the Jury were obliged to treat cheating in ACWS with exactly the same seriousness as if it was in the AC match itself.

Which would anyone rather be known for - being accused of "choking" after being cheated out of the AC, or going through life a convicted cheat? No contest really...

• Like 1

Now I remember why I stopped visiting this part of the forum, back to VOR for this one.

1 hour ago, animeproblem said:

Now I remember why I stopped visiting this part of the forum, back to VOR for this one.

We're so much more enlightened reading that !! :lol:

8 hours ago, Indio said:

Not my fault if you're too lazy to use the search function maaaate:blink:

I've had a good look hey, haven't found any explanations, if you could link one that would be cool

if not, i'm sure you've memorised the speech by now

19 hours ago, sclarke said:

Are you calling me a cheat?  If so go fuck yourself.

Having said that, OR are cheats.  I've said it.  Does the punishment fit the crime?  That is debatable.  And I haven't forgotten about the most recent win by ETNZ and the margin of victory.  So what?  It was a well earned win by ETNZ.  It also illustrates how hard it is to defend the Cup a 2nd time.  ETNZ knows that 1st hand as well.  At least OR didn't get swept, their  wing snap in half or their boat almost sink.  ;) 

Ultimately, I haven't been an OR fan going on 4, maybe 5, years.  They got shady with rules and they took the Cup defense outside the US and I couldn't support a team that did that shit.  Depending on how things shake out for AC36 I wonder if ETNZ fan boys like you will have the stones to do the same.  I doubt it.

17 hours ago, ezyb said:

The Falcons arguably relieved them of that tag last February.  28-3 will forever be difficult to top

I said arguably and it can still be argued.  Combacks like that have happened in football before.  Not in the super bowl but in playoffs and regular season.  A comeback like OR's in sailing with the boats they were using, a gnarly venue and the level of competition in ETNZ?  Maybe if it was NE that was ahead 28-3 and Atlanta came back to win...  ;)

1 hour ago, WetHog said:

Are you calling me a cheat?  If so go fuck yourself.

Having said that, OR are cheats.  I've said it.  Does the punishment fit the crime?  That is debatable.  And I haven't forgotten about the most recent win by ETNZ and the margin of victory.  So what?  It was a well earned win by ETNZ.  It also illustrates how hard it is to defend the Cup a 2nd time.  ETNZ knows that 1st hand as well.  At least OR didn't get swept, their  wing snap in half or their boat almost sink.  ;) 

Ultimately, I haven't been an OR fan going on 4, maybe 5, years.  They got shady with rules and they took the Cup defense outside the US and I couldn't support a team that did that shit.  Depending on how things shake out for AC36 I wonder if ETNZ fan boys like you will have the stones to do the same.  I doubt it.

This ETNZ fan girl is already highly irritated...

54 minutes ago, Rennmaus said:

If you are feeling irritated then try what is in this book excerpt.

12 minutes ago, ~Stingray~ said:

Try this

I feel for you guys and gals over there; but be ensured, we're kind of affected too - like the rest of the world.

I wouldn't compare me with that gorilla lover in the WH, but of course we fans have an idea about how the AC should look like. This is mostly based on the vision "our" team had communicated before, while it was a challenger. If that team becomes the defender and does not act like it had stated, it's normal that the fans become irritated or even frustrated . I hope this won't happen to me again

• Like 1

20 minutes ago, Rennmaus said:

I wouldn't compare me with that gorilla lover in the WH, but of course we fans have an idea about how the AC should look like. This is mostly based on the vision "our" team had communicated before, while it was a challenger. If that team becomes the defender and does not act like it had stated, it's normal that the fans become irritated or even frustrated . I hope this won't happen to me again

While the ETNZ/LR relationship looks a little incestuous, I'm good with pretty much all of the Protocol, the ACWS, and the JC75 including the coming OD parts of it.

ps: that excerpt went viral but is fake, of course.. and thank God..

2 hours ago, Rennmaus said:

Renny, I wouldn't consider you a fanboy, or girl, you are a rational/open minded person.  :)

• Like 1

10 hours ago, ~Stingray~ said:

If you are feeling irritated then try what is in this book excerpt.

ugh you know that is a joke right? {edit - just saw your note above}

On 1/4/2018 at 12:27 PM, WetHog said:

That was so Jack Sparrowish that I actually read it in Johnny Depps voice! 

Now I will have that stuck in my head when I read your posts!

Gaaa!

;)

WL

• Like 2

https://www.sail-world.com/news/201692/Five-Olympic-classes-recommended-for-Review

Turning then to cries for females to be crewing in the America's Cup with the VOR Quota system being pushed as the way forward, isn't the real issue that until a female skipper wins an Olympic Gold Medal in open competition, female sailors will not feature on an America's Cup crew shopping list.

Looking at the situation through a different lens, what if Gemma Jones had won the Gold Medal in the Nacra 17 in 2016, in a part foiler? Or does so in 2020 in a full foiler - would she be looked at seriously as a potential America's Cup helm? Definitely. And the same for other helms of her ilk who win Olympic medals in the foiling classes.

The article is mainly not about AC but makes an interesting point about introducing female sailors. I still think that sailors on board America cup's boats should be selected based on their performance and abilities but it would be nice to have mixed crews and it would probably inspire girls to join sailing as well at lower levels. It might be a bit more accessible for the next cycles if they are progressively getting rid of grinders/cyclors where raw muscular capabilities are more important than sailings. not sure it would happen though.

I also have mixed feelings about VOR quota system and teams being allowed to have an extra feminine crew. It is like allowing a guest on board to help with the ballast, not sure they would have critical jobs on the boat. Would still help them to acquire valuable experience...

27 minutes ago, Tornado-Cat said:

No rule, no team, nothing is moving, what's going on ?

Plenty is going on. Negotiations are going on to decide where the bases are going on the Auckland Waterfront, ETNZ has crew members competing in the Volvo Race who are on their way to Auckland as we speak. Ashby has signed back with the team, and won the first Super foiler regatta, and their first boat design should be completed by August, Luna Rossa are locating to their AC Base in Italy and are training in their TP52, LR BAR have hired key staff in critical positions and are training on their TP52 with the help of Tony Langley and his Gladiator team, NYYC have had a keynote presentation and announced their intentions going into the next couple of years to train US based sailors as well as announcing Dean Barker as their helmsman for the 2018 season, Apparently the Aussie team has come to a screeching halt,  apparently due to Slingsby's inability to raise enough money (or convince those Supermaxi bosses to work together) and the Americas Cup will be held in 2021. The protocol is out and the class rule is due in about a months time. Penty going on if you look around.

52 minutes ago, sclarke said:

Plenty is going on. Negotiations are going on to decide where the bases are going on the Auckland Waterfront, ETNZ has crew members competing in the Volvo Race who are on their way to Auckland as we speak. Ashby has signed back with the team, and won the first Super foiler regatta, and their first boat design should be completed by August, Luna Rossa are locating to their AC Base in Italy and are training in their TP52, LR BAR have hired key staff in critical positions and are training on their TP52 with the help of Tony Langley and his Gladiator team, NYYC have had a keynote presentation and announced their intentions going into the next couple of years to train US based sailors as well as announcing Dean Barker as their helmsman for the 2018 season, Apparently the Aussie team has come to a screeching halt,  apparently due to Slingsby's inability to raise enough money (or convince those Supermaxi bosses to work together) and the Americas Cup will be held in 2021. The protocol is out and the class rule is due in about a months time. Penty going on if you look around.

Very remotely AC related. Have we already seen such a uninteresting AC at this point yet ? Even for you it seems that you only care about last ACs.

35 minutes ago, Tornado-Cat said:

Very remotely AC related. Have we already seen such a uninteresting AC at this point yet ? Even for you it seems that you only care about last ACs.

Its all AC related, and Americas Cup 36 related. Americas Cup AC team members in the Volvo (Burling, Tuke, Langford)as well as the Superfoiler series (Ashby, Outteridge and Jensen) AC teams in the 52 Super series (Luna Rossa and Land Rover BAR). Negotiations for an AC village in Auckland an AC 36 Protocol announcement and imminent class rule release. Its all very interesting. 

12 hours ago, Tornado-Cat said:

Yes, the last two.

13 hours ago, Tornado-Cat said:

No rule, no team, nothing is moving, what's going on ?

Name one cup where the first year between cycles was bustling with action? Name one.

57 minutes ago, sclarke said:

Name one cup where the first year between cycles was bustling with action? Name one.

Just to name one, AC 34.

Oct 15, 2010 Class Rule for New AC72 Yachts Published (was Sep 30)
Nov 1, 2010 Challenge acceptance period begins  
Dec 31, 2010 Deadline for Venue Selection and announcing dates of 2013 America's Cup Defense & Challenger and Defender Selection Series  
Mar 31, 2011 Early Challenge acceptance period ends - Late entries possible  
Aug 6-14, 2011 America's Cup World Series Regatta - Cascais, Portug

So, aside from the Volvo, what is interesting ?

• Like 1

^ Bit sloppy....

The appointment of the Arbitration Panel for the 36th America’s Cup presented by Prada has been announced today by the Defender, represented by Emirates Team New Zealand and Challenger of Record, represented by Luna Rossa Challenge in accordance with the requirements of the Protocol governing the event.

edit

A Kiwi as one of the three on the panel. Might have been better to skip that, although they are all considered above partisanship Maybe a woman from a non-competing nation instead?

• Like 1

I wonder if we'll see teams employ swathes of race engineers helping the crew from shore like in formula 1.... it seems just about doable in the class rules. It could be a huge advantage.

2 hours ago, Raptorsailor said:

I wonder if we'll see teams employ swathes of race engineers helping the crew from shore like in formula 1.... it seems just about doable in the class rules. It could be a huge advantage.

Unlike F1 No comms allowed... In fact no transmission between boat and team of any kind during race.

and once a boat has been measured in I don't believe the gigs of data will available to the engineers?

I'll put this here because these course details and timing (ok, they are a week early) were called for in the Protocol.

The 'Cowes Agreement' :D

image.thumb.png.b2bb92d72a0831260b819e318707050b.png

Tune in on Friday afternoon (GMT +1) for the announcement of the America’s Cup Match date and courses, as well as updates from the teams about their plans, the new America’s Cup logo and more.

https://www.americascup.com/en/news/28_AMERICA-S-CUP-RETURNS-TO-COWES.html

(note: no mention of any more team announcements)

The Nationality Rules in this Protocol is the biggest joke. I for once hoped once ETNZ claimed the Cup that the AC Community would finally get rid of that Australian Clown called James Spithill.

Unfortunately Dalts carved too much IMO to the Italians in these negotiations.

Suggests TE is stepping back into the Grand AC Game..

from https://www.sailingillustrated.com/single-post/2018/08/30/Tuesdays-with-TFE-Preview-of-the-AC-Hall-of-Fame-inductees-the-latest-on-World-Sailing-and-a-Bravo-Zulu-to-the-Olympic-Finn-Class

En route to Cowes, IOW for the America's Cup "Overture" announcements Friday afternoon, and the latest (2017 and 2018) AC Hall of Fame inductions at a black tie dinner hosted by the Royal Yacht Squadron and sponsored by PRADA Friday night.

More from the "Save the date" event :) today:

PRESS RELEASE - 31 August 2018

36th AMERICA’S CUP MATCH DATES AND RACE COURSE ANNOUNCED AT AMERICA’S CUP OVERTURE IN COWES

America’s Cup to be raced in unprecedented proximity to land in Auckland

America’s Cup Overture
The America’s Cup community from around the world gathered in Cowes today for the first opportunity to meet the teams entered in the 36th edition and hear about what lies ahead including two milestone announcements made by Emirates Team New Zealand CEO, Grant Dalton.

Match Dates
On behalf of the Royal New Zealand Yacht Squadron, Grant Dalton officially named Auckland as the venue for the 36th America’s Cup Match Presented by Prada and that racing will take place between 6th- 21st March 2021. The Defender, Emirates Team New Zealand, will race against the winner of the Prada Cup, the Challenger Selection Series, in a best of 13 (first to seven points), in the America’s Cup Match. 

Race Course Area
In accordance with the Protocol for the 36th America’s Cup, the race course area for the Prada Cup and America’s Cup Match was also announced. The Racing Area is defined by a varied area outlined across the wider Hauraki Gulf, running south along the North Shore beaches around North Head encompassing the inner Waitemata harbour right up to Auckland’s iconic harbour bridge and downtown CBD, across Auckland’s Eastern suburbs and all the way out the Tamaki Strait between Waiheke Island and Maraetai. The Waitemata Harbour and the Hauraki Gulf are widely regarded as ‘The jewel in Auckland’s crown’ and will offer a plethora of race course options, with a full range of wind directions and conditions.

Spectating from shore

“There is a reason that Auckland is world renowned as ‘The City of Sails’ and for its sailing conditions,” said Grant Dalton. “We’re very fortunate that the geography of Auckland allows us so many exciting and challenging race course options in close proximity to elevated vantage points for spectators on land.” 

“We needed to define a wide racing area to cater for all wind and tide directions and conditions, which we have done across the racing area. But the one overarching objective in identifying the specific Race Courses within the race area was to bring the racing as close as possible to the land based spectators, and we are incredibly lucky to have both North Head and Bastion Point where the public will literally be able to hear the AC75s whistling above the water and see the wind shifts on the water without having to set foot on a boat. In saying this, catering to the huge expected spectator fleet does provide its own challenges, but we have been working closely with the Harbour Master and all related agencies that have fully bought into the objectives and to do everything we can to make this America’s Cup the most inclusive and spectator friendly America’s Cup ever,” stated Dalton.

Race Timing
There has been specific consideration given to the ideal time of day for racing to start. A tentative race time window estimated between 1600-1800 local time in order for a typical March sea breeze to reliably establish itself across the Waitemata Harbour and Hauraki Gulf race courses based on a leg length of between 1.3- 2.2 Nautical Miles (NM). 

Along with the proximity to public, consideration has been given to minimising race day cancellations due to too much wind or swell as was seen in the 34th America’s Cup in San Francisco. The course area, directly between Eastern Beach and Waiheke Island provides a sheltered, all wind direction race course and was the training ground of Emirates Team New Zealand for their successful 35th America’s Cup challenge in Bermuda.

The definitive race distance will depend on the wind speed and selected race course each day with an anticipated 35-minute race duration, including pre-start, based on a typical windward leeward configuration with potential for a dramatic final reaching leg to the finish line. 

©COR36 | Studio Borlenghi

A New Identity

Today’s America’s Cup Overture began with the unveiling of the new visual identity for the 36th America’s Cup created by internationally renowned designer Marc Newson, who was selected by Prada to design the logo and the silhouette of the Cup. 

“Our event in Cowes today, marks the first time we’ve had the Challengers and Defender together in preparation for the 36th America’s Cup Presented by Prada. The announcement of the Match dates, unveiling of the new America’s Cup logo and presentation of the new Prada case for the trophy itself are all milestones for us as we work collaboratively with the Defender to deliver all the events leading up to the Match,” said Laurent Esquier, CEO of the Challenger of Record (COR36).

The sterling silver America’s Cup, the oldest trophy in international sport, travelled to Cowes from Auckland specifically for this event and shone on the stage with her new Prada travelling case. Handcrafted by Prada artisans, this trunk will now accompany the Auld Mug on the road to the 36th America’s Cup.

2018 America’s Cup Hall of Fame
This evening, the 2018 America’s Cup Hall of Fame induction ceremony and black tie dinner will take place at the Royal Yacht Squadron, where it all began 167 years ago. Organised by the Herreshoff Marine Museum and presented by Prada, the evening will recognise the achievements and contributions made to the America’s Cup by John K Marshall, Syd Fischer, Ken McAlpine and Doug Peterson.

QUOTES

“Having the race course so close to the coast will give spectators the opportunity to follow the racing even from the shore with the spectacular backdrop of Auckland – The City of Sails! We cannot wait to get started!”

Max Sirena
Team Director & Skipper

"It’s great to back in Cowes, where the America’s Cup started. The more information we know about the race course area, likely wind conditions, sea state, length of the course and the schedule for the build-up regattas over the next couple of years will really help INEOS TEAM UK set our strategy for when we are building and launching our race boats. "

Sir Ben Ainslie
Team Principal & Skipper

“Getting the courses today is a big deal because the teams will be basing their design decisions around this information.  Exactly what we are going to be doing, how much time you will have to a boundary (if that is in fact the case), versus how much time you will have on the course -  all impact the boat design decisions. Today is a huge day for the 36th America’s Cup.”

Terry Hutchinson
Executive Director & Skipper

Is that all? 

Come on Grant, you said you wanted to do right for the cup.

Larry's poodles are now Luna Rossa's it seems.

Poor, very poor.

Posted (edited)

Added to playlist (lots more to come, but the upload takes its time...):
Ken McAlpine
Bruno Troublé in French and English

Edited by Rennmaus
Ken McAlpine video added
  • Like 2

Max Sirena in Italian and English and Peter Burling added to playlist. More to come...

• Like 1

23 minutes ago, Rennmaus said:

Max Sirena in Italian and English and Peter Burling added to playlist. More to come...

Parts of those two interviews further jacked my optimism for the JC75.

Enjoyed all of them so far, thank you Renn.

• Like 1

Bruno Trouble sure didn't have many good words to say about the last couple of AC's

That's it, the complete list:

The Race Course
Grant Dalton
Hiromi Kubota (YANMAR) (eng)
Hiromi Kubota (YANMAR) (jap)

Mirko Gröschner in German and English
INEOS Team B-roll
Terry Hutchinson
Sir Ben Ainslie
Peter Burling
Max Sirena in Italian and English
Intro video with BA, GD, the Cup...
John Marshall
Ken McAlpine
Cowes Intro

• Like 1

So, the Start of the AC Races is 4PM Local NZ Time which is 3AM UK Time and 4AM CET. Absolutely hilarious! No wonder PRADA/Luna Rossa wants some Preliminary Regattas in Europe because non of their Italian Audience will watch the AC Races.

3 hours ago, Stingray~ said:

GD starts somewhere around 35m

Most horrible is that Woman who talks too much for my liking. Couldn't they find a good Host Presenter? That Woman is bad.

6 hours ago, nav said:

COR/D Notice to competitors #7    (includes course configuration)

https://drive.google.com/file/d/1UGayBlKzeaxumPYkOHD1o5op4g_U98gQ/view

image.png.d9932fe703915315a85ccb900497fab8.png

m318_crop169014_1024x576_proportional_15

With regards to the logo , the Red , White and Blue is a nice tip of the cam to America but couldn't Prada of all people come up with a better logo than that eye test surrounding the cup ?

3 hours ago, Tornado-Cat said:

9 AM Eastern Time (US), they couldn't postpone it later.

4pm NZ is 10pm Eastern Time in March

5 hours ago, dg_sailingfan said:

So, the Start of the AC Races is 4PM Local NZ Time which is 3AM UK Time and 4AM CET. Absolutely hilarious! No wonder PRADA/Luna Rossa wants some Preliminary Regattas in Europe because non of their Italian Audience will watch the AC Races.

Do people still watch shit live? Seriously.

9 hours ago, Rennmaus said:

That's it, the complete list:

The Race Course
Grant Dalton
Hiromi Kubota (YANMAR) (eng)
Hiromi Kubota (YANMAR) (jap)

Mirko Gröschner in German and English
INEOS Team B-roll
Terry Hutchinson
Sir Ben Ainslie
Peter Burling
Max Sirena in Italian and English
Intro video with BA, GD, the Cup...
John Marshall
Ken McAlpine
Cowes Intro

Are the boats in that video roughly to scale? Do we know roughly how long the races are going to be in terms of time?

7 hours ago, pusslicker said:

Are the boats in that video roughly to scale? Do we know roughly how long the races are going to be in terms of time?

From NZ's TV1 News,  about 30 to 35 minutes.

Do I understand these are sheltered waters (compared with the IACC race course) where they used to train with the AC50? Sigh, the hypocrisy ...

• Like 1

11 minutes ago, Xlot said:

Do I understand these are sheltered waters (compared with the IACC race course) where they used to train with the AC50? Sigh, the hypocrisy ...

The course marked B would be a bit dodgy with the wind against the tide .. the waves can be short and steep.

15 hours ago, dg_sailingfan said:

So, the Start of the AC Races is 4PM Local NZ Time which is 3AM UK Time and 4AM CET.

Earlier start time is liable to suffer lots of delays/abandons waiting for the afternoon Sea breeze to kick in.

Which is kinda a problem with the idea of courses in different parts of the harbour depending on the wind direction: when the breeze kicks in it tends to be very different than in the drifting beforehand -> high possibility of a bunch of spectators setup at say Bastion pt for Course C & not get to see a thing because they move to Course B due to wind change.

Basically only gonna be able to spectate from land (as in be able to work out whats going on) on Course B & C, North Head being by far the best spot.

12 hours ago, maxmini said:

the Red , White and Blue is a nice tip of the cam to America

I always find it fascinating how 'muricahns think their flag is the only one made from red white & blue :wub:

Logo is a lot closer to this flag...

Russian-CCCP-Flag-Russia-Flag-Polyester-

But yeah that eye breaking stuff round the cup is not awesome.

28 minutes ago, Xlot said:

Do I understand these are sheltered waters (compared with the IACC race course) where they used to train with the AC50? Sigh, the hypocrisy .

IACC course was up North of A so relatively sheltered in comparison yes but as Terry pointed out Auckland has a notoriously short steep chop a lot of the time.

01011115567300.gif

E is in the area where ETNZ trained for Bermuda.

This vid basically starts at Course C, passes up the Rangi channel past B & A (wind with tide)

ETNZ/LR AC75 training we saw from the Takapuna webcam was similar areas.

The branding is a bit odd, and whilst talented in his own domain Marc Newson is a very odd choice for this job...

The guy is a world famous designer in the field of product and industrial design - where he is awesome, but not in graphic design where I can't recall him having done anything... amd this effort is a good reason why...I'm not sure of the rationale for using him - is there more in-store from him in terms of product design for Prada? and this logo is merely just the dressing for a merchandising yet to come? Having said that, he's barely touched fashion/clothing either...

odd, odd, odd...

It's rescuable though - and I'm sure there's a team of talented graphic designers who will take this and tweak, refine and extrapolate out to wider usages...

Thanks @Rennmaus for pulling together the playlist!

There was plenty of interesting content in there.

In the presser it was clear BA still regards the boat as a handful and challenging - he doesn't yet seem confident it won't continue to be this way into the AC.

Bruno appears to know something about some more challengers coming.

MS called the boat a 'hybrid' between a monohull and a multihull - it's not just us that argue around this topic...

GD's interview was the most interesting - ironically because he spoke to most of the things his haters (who accuse him of hypocrisy) constantly lob his way...

• 3 challengers is "disappointing" - he wanted more...
  • The boat "was a compromise" - between foiling, monohulls and trickle-down

I'm sure some of you would never have thought you'd hear those words from GD... turns out, he *is* actually pretty transparent and honest as he continues to communicate about AC

Of course he also went on to say

• He believes there will be 2 more challengers (Bruno suggested we'd know in 2 weeks) - time will tell...
  • Whist the boat was a compromise - it's now outperforming everyone's expectations, and is turning into something special - time will tell.. it's now widely determined that it will be faster than the AC50s

Another interesting observation from GD at the end.

1855817585_ScreenShot2018-09-02at9_46_58AM.png.45cc36b6a889c82860dc836995f5b7ac.pngbesr

• Like 1

20 hours ago, maxmini said:

With regards to the logo , the Red , White and Blue is a nice tip of the cam to America but couldn't Prada of all people come up with a better logo than that eye test surrounding the cup ?

Are you familiar with the flag of NZ?

2000px-Flag_of_New_Zealand-highlights_svg.thumb.jpg.e685942a5725a87c605cd56d4abc2af5.jpg

23 hours ago, maxmini said:

Really,

Such a "manifest destiny", whole world revolves around me comment "tip of the hat". Could you ever be embarrassed?

19 hours ago, rh2600 said:

The branding is a bit odd, and whilst talented in his own domain Marc Newson is a very odd choice for this job...

The guy is a world famous designer in the field of product and industrial design - where he is awesome, but not in graphic design where I can't recall him having done anything... amd this effort is a good reason why...I'm not sure of the rationale for using him - is there more in-store from him in terms of product design for Prada? and this logo is merely just the dressing for a merchandising yet to come? Having said that, he's barely touched fashion/clothing either...

odd, odd, odd...

It's rescuable though - and I'm sure there's a team of talented graphic designers who will take this and tweak, refine and extrapolate out to wider usages...

**TRIGGER WARNING**

Pathetic, meaningless and an abdication if YNZYS/ETNZ handed it off to someone else to decide on..

I mean any 1st year graphics student would have thought to at least include some....

7435ec094c1206f4fb470dcc6cfc7a1e.jpg

or

Frosty-Morning-Ta-Moko-Maori-Tattoo-Whak

etc.....

The black hole in the handle into which fortunes are sucked is really the only interesting feature

22 hours ago, rh2600 said:

Are you familiar with the flag of NZ?

2000px-Flag_of_New_Zealand-highlights_svg.thumb.jpg.e685942a5725a87c605cd56d4abc2af5.jpg

Are you familiar with the AMERICAS cup ? 

Had they been looking for team NZ colors wouldn't have been black and silver ? 

The colors are fine but as others have pointed out the graphics are shit .

3 minutes ago, maxmini said:

Are you familiar with the AMERICAS cup ? 

Had they been looking for team NZ colors wouldn't have been black and silver ? 

No... as shown in the image mate it's a crop of the Southern Cross... Marc was working from the NZ flag...

It's also a nod to Red Peak - https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Red_Peak_flag

give it up...

3 minutes ago, rh2600 said:

No... as shown in the image mate it's a crop of the Southern Cross... Marc was working from the NZ flag...

It's also a nod to Red Peak - https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Red_Peak_flag

give it up...

Yes I see the red and the white surrounded by the blue. 

The bottom half of the logo looks good but its the eye strain  in the upper portion that hopefully will be updated at some point