honestjohn

2018 Australian Multihull Championships

First things first.  Sandringham YC did an exceptional job of running this regatta, both on and off the water.  They could not have been any more welcoming to the multis, which was pleasant change.  Geelong, take note.

One thing no club can control is the sea state, and the infamous Port Phillip chop nobbled the little boats a bit.  After having my insides turned upside down and sideways on the front of the green boat, the crew of Peccadilo pronounced "Waves?  What waves?"  The green boat also had to contend with a mainsail blowout during race 2 and was forced to finish that race (and all of race 3) with a reef in the main.  Thanks to Lisa at Quantum for spending her Saturday night at the loft.

The Experiment put on a bit of a show for everyone by tipping over on the final day, but all was well and they will be on the start line for the passage race from Melbourne to Geelong this Friday.  No electronics is a winner!

Having said all that, the big boats sailed a fine regatta and were definitely on the pace - even around the cans.

I'm sure we'll all be there with bells on next time, chop or no chop.

Yes, a great event and very well ran.  We always felt welcome.  We had some great racing in Div 2, started slow as my crew and I had never sailed a Tri before and started to find some speed during the end of the Regatta. We ended up finishing 4th and picked up a race win on the last day.

Thanks to Multihull Central for lending us the new Corsair 760 and the Multihull Central shore crew for bringing the boat down to Vic and looking after us.

We had the Corsair running quick upwind straight out of the box however it took until the last day to start finding the right mode to sail her fast downwind.  The boat seemed to preform best in 15 to 25 knots and waves.  Sorry Phat Bouy..... loved the waves :D.  We were a little nervous at first throwing the kite up in the 25 knots and short sharp waves however the boat quickley reassured us, sowing very good manners.  The larger volume hulls of the 760 defiantly helps you drive hard downwind.

Next up, this boat will be racing the Geelong Festival of Sails.  I really enjoyed racing with a new fleet of sailors (some familiar faces as well).  There are some good sailors in this fleet and they know how to get the most out of their boats.

BFE16770-7317-44D8-BDDC-D5E4E995F0F0.jpeg

B5CF5D6D-C7AB-4334-88BE-58585A720ABF.jpeg

9A38CC81-58E4-4445-BEDD-279411B3B662.png

Agree very welcoming from Sandringham, the organisers, and other competitor fleets.  Facilities and race organisation top notch, overall a great event.  Plenty of breeze plus light start to the passage race which built to a solid 25, happy they shortened div1 at the last weather mark as the big run back down the bay in the short chop would have been errrr... interesting...

Div 1 numbers were very thin, all had some gear breakages - Fury Road and Wilpy III did rudder fittings, Crosshair a daggerboard, Carbon Credit ripped lower part of main in last race and we blew up the masthead runner with the kite up a couple of times but the rig stayed in one piece.

Diams are either on or off, light airs and chop kill them but at other times uncatcheable.  In the passage race Fury Road was out the back door so far we couldn't even see them then suddenly right back in it.  

Carbon Credit sailed a solid regatta with very few mistakes.  Crosshair hung in there even with more leeway than usual.

We reckon an age allowance in OMR for boats over 30 would be a good thing :-)

Back in Div 2 we didnt see much of the Div 1 boats however what I saw was pretty impressive. The F32’s and Ducks Nutz are a site to see in full flight.  The Diam’s are like oversized beach cats (with an extra hull).

Div 2, I was very impressed with the Sknot rocket.  That is an awesome little machine that they have very well sorted.

Results make interesting reading, couple of questions, Were the diam's racing in their one design configuration, or have they been modified? And what were the courses, w/l or round the cans?

Diam’s looked fairly standard to me.  3 x WL on day 1, day 2 was a passage race which was pretty close to WL, than 2 x WL for day 3.

Thanks.

We've got 1 diam over here in NZ which has gone for a more vmg suited kite as opposed to the one design more screecher type sail. 

Its got similar speed to the newer 8.5m multis so good racing. 

Wilpy III has about 5m2 larger screacher, Fury Road is standard AFAIK.

The OMR spreadsheet on the MYCQ site has measurements.

On 1/22/2018 at 4:08 PM, Tornado_ALIVE said:

Yes, a great event and very well ran.  We always felt welcome.  We had some great racing in Div 2, started slow as my crew and I had never sailed a Tri before and started to find some speed during the end of the Regatta. We ended up finishing 4th and picked up a race win on the last day.

Thanks to Multihull Central for lending us the new Corsair 760 and the Multihull Central shore crew for bringing the boat down to Vic and looking after us.

We had the Corsair running quick upwind straight out of the box however it took until the last day to start finding the right mode to sail her fast downwind.  The boat seemed to preform best in 15 to 25 knots and waves.  Sorry Phat Bouy..... loved the waves :D.  We were a little nervous at first throwing the kite up in the 25 knots and short sharp waves however the boat quickley reassured us, sowing very good manners.  The larger volume hulls of the 760 defiantly helps you drive hard downwind.

Next up, this boat will be racing the Geelong Festival of Sails.  I really enjoyed racing with a new fleet of sailors (some familiar faces as well).  There are some good sailors in this fleet and they know how to get the most out of their boats.

BFE16770-7317-44D8-BDDC-D5E4E995F0F0.jpeg

B5CF5D6D-C7AB-4334-88BE-58585A720ABF.jpeg

9A38CC81-58E4-4445-BEDD-279411B3B662.png

Whats the go with the average points awarded to you guys in race 1 and 2 OMR Div 2. haven't seen that before.  

Before the start we had a minor altercation with another boat not in our division that resulted in a breakage.  We went back to shore for repairs missing race 1 and 2, however got back out for race 3.  We were given redress.